|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter I, Asser's Life of King Alfred, Paragraphs 91 - 106.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the 19th century Alfred the Great was seen as the founder of the British _______ and ______.
(a) Library system; public education.
(b) Police force; Empire.
(c) Navy; Empire.
(d) Royal Air Force; colonization.
2. What audience did Asser have in mind when he wrote his book?
(a) Alfred's family.
(b) English people.
(c) Welsh people.
(d) Other kings.
3. Where did Aethelstan slaughter the Viking army?
4. Who combined forces with King Alfred after the Vikings left East Anglia?
(b) The local nobility.
(c) His cousin.
(d) His brother.
5. Who was the father of the wife Aethewulf brought home from Rome?
(a) Jason of the Argonauts.
(c) Louis the XVI.
(d) Charles the Bald.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of king was Alfred the Great, according to Asser?
2. How many brothers did Alfred the Great have?
3. Those who disobeyed Alfred were often ______.
4. Where did King Alfred and his ally go to fight the Vikings?
5. Who was pope when Alfred was sent to Rome?
This section contains 169 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)