Introduction, Section I, King Alfred the Great
1. What country did Alfred the Great rule?
2. When did Alfred the Great rule?
(a) 871-901 A.D.
(b) 893-899 A.D.
(c) 871-899 A.D.
(d) The exact dates of his rule are not known.
3. What county was protected against invaders during the reign of Alfred the Great?
4. Who were invading England during the reign of Alfred the Great?
5. In what year did an army invade England, taking a variety of smaller kingdoms?
6. Whom did Alfred the Great come to rule in 871?
(a) The West Saxons.
(b) The Northern Angles.
(c) The Celts.
(d) The East Saxons.
7. What did Asser provide regarding Alfred the Great?
(a) A museum.
(b) A bust.
(c) A biography.
(d) An oil painting.
8. What career did Asser have?
9. Where was Asser from?
(a) Paris, France.
(b) Oxford University.
(c) St. David's in Wales.
(d) Limerick, Ireland.
10. What did Asser later become?
(a) A university dean.
(b) A bishop.
(c) A royal court attendant.
(d) A literary publisher.
This section contains 3,491 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)