|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elsa say about her memory of Einstein as a young boy?
2. Einstein adopts a terrier pup in Chapter Fourteen. What is the name of the dog?
3. In Chapter Thirteen, Infeld says of the professor, "Once a work is finished his interest in it ____".
4. What is ironic about Hitler's attitude toward Einstein in Chapter Twelve?
5. When asked by a reporter if he is happy in America, how does Einstein respond?
Short Essay Questions
1. Einstein wins a Nobel Prize for physics in 1922, but not for his theory on relativity. For what work is he given the Nobel, and why is relativity not included?
2. The Holocaust is not underway when Einstein elects not to return to Germany. Why does he decide to stay away from his homeland?
3. Why is Elsa Einstein unhappy in Jerusalem? Explain.
4. What reason does Einstein give for wishing to cooperate particularly with American scientists?
5. Describe and explain Einstein's answer to the reporter who asks about the political climate in Germany. Why is Einstein so careful in answering?
6. Why does Einstein finally decide to settle in America?
7. Elsa Einstein says that it is difficult to be married to Albert Einstein. Does this seem likely? Why is it difficult?
8. Explain Einstein's view of the political climate in Germany at the beginning of Chapter Nine.
9. Describe Einstein's attempts to help those less fortunate refugees in Chapter Thirteen.
10. Why is Einstein no longer a pacifist in Chapter Fourteen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Einstein's changing relationship with his religion, from his attitude toward it as a child through young adulthood and finally to old age. In what ways does religion influence him through his life, if at all? How does he reconcile faith with science?
Essay Topic 2
Given today's standards of what a father should be, is Einstein a success or a failure as a parent? Is he a combination of both? The author does not state how often Einstein sees his children after his divorce from Mileva; given his previous parental behavior, what level of involvement can the reader surmise he has in raising the children after the divorce?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of woman is Mileva Maritsch? Does the author present her fairly? Compare and contrast the author's portrait of Mileva with your own research. In what ways are the accounts of her similar, and in what ways do they differ?
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)