|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Einstein's peers feel he has what attitude toward his country during Chapter Nine?
2. Though he has enemies in political circles, why os Einstein is happy during Chapter Nine?
3. A young man approaches Einstein, wanting to discuss the possibility of his formula being used to create explosives. How does Einstein respond?
4. The author mentions three ways Einstein behaves toward all admirers. Which of the following is NOT mentioned?
5. How does the new prestige of the award from Chapter Ten affect Einstein's behavior?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Hitler's persecution of Einstein as a Jew ironic? Explain.
2. Why is Einstein no longer a pacifist in Chapter Fourteen?
3. What reason does Einstein give for wishing to cooperate particularly with American scientists?
4. Describe Einstein's attempts to help those less fortunate refugees in Chapter Thirteen.
5. Why is Einstein so enthused to meet Dr. Albert Michelson in California?
6. Why are the Einsteins happier in California than on other trips? What is different?
7. Describe the boat incident in Chapter Thirteen, and explain what the reader learns about Einstein from this story.
8. Explain why Einstein, a former pacifist, agrees to speak to President Roosevelt about the creation of an atomic bomb.
9. What plan does Einstein think up to slow the flood of autograph requests?
10. The Holocaust is not underway when Einstein elects not to return to Germany. Why does he decide to stay away from his homeland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick an Einstein quote that sums up his character and discuss in detail why that particular quote says all that needs to be said about him. The selected quote should speak to at least three different aspects of his character.
Essay Topic 2
Given the effects of his work, is Einstein a hero or a villain? Support either assertion with examples of people with similar strengths or weaknesses.
Essay Topic 3
Einstein builds on Newton's ideas. Pick one modern-day scientist who makes a career of building on Einstein's ideas, and discuss the ways in which Einstein's theories are updated from the 20th to the 21st century.
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)