|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is ironic about Hitler's attitude toward Einstein in Chapter Twelve?
2. In Hitler's eyes, Einstein is guilty because he is all BUT WHICH of the following?
3. How does Einstein finally decide to deal with the autograph requests in Chapter Eight?
4. During the tour of Japan, Einstein's guide says that Einstein offends Japanese people. How?
5. When asked by the Archbishop what effect his theory has on religion, what does Einstein answer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Einstein happier at Princeton University than he is at previous appointments?
2. The Holocaust is not underway when Einstein elects not to return to Germany. Why does he decide to stay away from his homeland?
3. Explain the approach Einstein wants the U.S. to take in regards to the atomic bomb after its creation.
4. Why is Elsa Einstein unhappy in Jerusalem? Explain.
5. Why do some Berlin scientists imply that Einstein is a traitor to his country?
6. Explain Einstein's view of the political climate in Germany at the beginning of Chapter Nine.
7. Einstein asks an American diplomat why the U.S. does not try to end Japan's aggressions in China with a boycott. Explain the diplomat's response and Einstein's feelings about the response.
8. Describe and explain Einstein's answer to the reporter who asks about the political climate in Germany. Why is Einstein so careful in answering?
9. Why is Hitler's persecution of Einstein as a Jew ironic? Explain.
10. What does Einstein's behavior after Elsa's death in Chapter Thirteen tell the reader about him? Is he insensitive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Given the effects of his work, is Einstein a hero or a villain? Support either assertion with examples of people with similar strengths or weaknesses.
Essay Topic 2
What kind of woman is Mileva Maritsch? Does the author present her fairly? Compare and contrast the author's portrait of Mileva with your own research. In what ways are the accounts of her similar, and in what ways do they differ?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Einstein's changing relationship with his religion, from his attitude toward it as a child through young adulthood and finally to old age. In what ways does religion influence him through his life, if at all? How does he reconcile faith with science?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)