|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Einstein adopts a terrier pup in Chapter Fourteen. What is the name of the dog?
2. Hitler claims that all BUT WHICH group causes Germany to lose World War I?
3. Einstein is very happy to travel to California as Chapter Eleven begins because he gets to meet ______________, one of his early inspirations.
4. In what year does Einstein die?
5. How does Einstein finally decide to deal with the autograph requests in Chapter Eight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What plan does Einstein think up to slow the flood of autograph requests?
2. Einstein asks an American diplomat why the U.S. does not try to end Japan's aggressions in China with a boycott. Explain the diplomat's response and Einstein's feelings about the response.
3. Why is Einstein's international fame surprising?
4. Why are the Einsteins happier in California than on other trips? What is different?
5. What does Einstein's behavior after Elsa's death in Chapter Thirteen tell the reader about him? Is he insensitive?
6. What does the reader learn about Einstein's tastes, based on his reaction to the quarters on the ship reserves for him?
7. Explain the approach Einstein wants the U.S. to take in regards to the atomic bomb after its creation.
8. Why is Einstein happier at Princeton University than he is at previous appointments?
9. Explain Einstein's worries about the German Republic and his disturbing revelation in Marseilles.
10. Explain why some Japanese are insulted when Einstein speaks in that country.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Not all of the results of Einstein's work are negative in the way that the atomic bomb is negative. Discuss three modern-day uses either related to or directly stemming from Einstein's work and possible future applications. Be sure to illustrate the relationship between Einstein's theory and modern theory clearly.
Essay Topic 2
Given today's standards of what a father should be, is Einstein a success or a failure as a parent? Is he a combination of both? The author does not state how often Einstein sees his children after his divorce from Mileva; given his previous parental behavior, what level of involvement can the reader surmise he has in raising the children after the divorce?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Einstein's changing relationship with his religion, from his attitude toward it as a child through young adulthood and finally to old age. In what ways does religion influence him through his life, if at all? How does he reconcile faith with science?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)