|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author mentions three ways Einstein behaves toward all admirers. Which of the following is NOT mentioned?
2. During his tour of America, Einstein is beginning to have grave concerns about what situation at home in Germany?
3. As Einstein grows older, he discovers that he enjoys a new hobby. What is it?
4. After Einstein becomes famous, the visitors coming to the house want a variety of things. Which of the following is NOT one of their demands?
5. Some members of the city council in Berlin oppose giving Einstein a gift. In exasperation, Einstein does what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Einstein happier at Princeton University than he is at previous appointments?
2. Why do some Berlin scientists imply that Einstein is a traitor to his country?
3. Einstein brings national attention to Germany, so it seems logical that Hitler celebrates Einstein's success. This is not the case. Why?
4. Einstein asks an American diplomat why the U.S. does not try to end Japan's aggressions in China with a boycott. Explain the diplomat's response and Einstein's feelings about the response.
5. Elsa Einstein says that it is difficult to be married to Albert Einstein. Does this seem likely? Why is it difficult?
6. Why is Hitler's persecution of Einstein as a Jew ironic? Explain.
7. Why is Einstein no longer a pacifist in Chapter Fourteen?
8. Why are the Einsteins happier in California than on other trips? What is different?
9. Explain why the author calls Einstein a false prophet at the beginning of Chapter Eight.
10. The Holocaust is not underway when Einstein elects not to return to Germany. Why does he decide to stay away from his homeland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Imagine parenting Albert Einstein as a young child. Do his parents do a good job with him, or are they so far off the mark in understanding him that they parent badly? In what ways could they do things differently, or make greater efforts to understand him more completely? Be sure to use supporting material from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Einstein publishes several essays through the course of his life. Pick one essay and complete a detailed analysis; what does his writing tell the reader about his character? From what period in his life does the essay come, and what information or opinions does the essay contain that illustrate the time of his life?
Essay Topic 3
Einstein builds on Newton's ideas. Pick one modern-day scientist who makes a career of building on Einstein's ideas, and discuss the ways in which Einstein's theories are updated from the 20th to the 21st century.
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)