|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hitler claims that all BUT WHICH group causes Germany to lose World War I?
2. What is Einstein's position on pacifism as he ages and as tension once again rises in Europe?
3. Einstein returns to work at the end of Chapter Thirteen. Why is this unusual?
4. The author mentions three ways Einstein behaves toward all admirers. Which of the following is NOT mentioned?
5. In the opening of Chapter Ten, the author mentions that the ____________ is one of the greatest honors that comes to any scientist, writer, or humanitarian.
Short Essay Questions
1. Einstein wins a Nobel Prize for physics in 1922, but not for his theory on relativity. For what work is he given the Nobel, and why is relativity not included?
2. What does Einstein's behavior after Elsa's death in Chapter Thirteen tell the reader about him? Is he insensitive?
3. The Holocaust is not underway when Einstein elects not to return to Germany. Why does he decide to stay away from his homeland?
4. Why is Elsa Einstein unhappy in Jerusalem? Explain.
5. Why is Einstein's international fame surprising?
6. Elsa Einstein says that it is difficult to be married to Albert Einstein. Does this seem likely? Why is it difficult?
7. Why is Einstein no longer a pacifist in Chapter Fourteen?
8. Einstein asks an American diplomat why the U.S. does not try to end Japan's aggressions in China with a boycott. Explain the diplomat's response and Einstein's feelings about the response.
9. Explain why Einstein, a former pacifist, agrees to speak to President Roosevelt about the creation of an atomic bomb.
10. Why are the Einsteins happier in California than on other trips? What is different?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Einstein's relationship with Germany from his early days as a professor to his final days in America. How does the relationship change? How do the attitudes of the common people change? Is Einstein responsible in any way for his status, or is he purely a victim of circumstance?
Essay Topic 2
Max Planck and Einstein have an interesting professional relationship that changes and evolves over the years. Planck is an important figure in Einstein's life. Discuss the different stages of their relationship and the reasons it changes.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the ways in which Einstein's experiences at the Polytechnic School form who he is for the rest of his life. What impact do his friends have? What impact does Mileva have? If the school is structured differently, does Einstein become a different person? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)