|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Chapter Twelve ends, the Einsteins are once again headed for what country?
2. After children sing carols at the Einstein house for Christmas, what reward does he offer them?
3. The author gives three reasons why some scientists disagree with Einstein's work. Which of the following does the author NOT mention?
4. Who comes to live with Einstein early in Chapter Fourteen?
5. One of the people who attends Einstein's lecture in Paris is _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe and explain Einstein's answer to the reporter who asks about the political climate in Germany. Why is Einstein so careful in answering?
2. Elsa Einstein says that it is difficult to be married to Albert Einstein. Does this seem likely? Why is it difficult?
3. Describe the boat incident in Chapter Thirteen, and explain what the reader learns about Einstein from this story.
4. Explain Einstein's view of the political climate in Germany at the beginning of Chapter Nine.
5. Einstein brings national attention to Germany, so it seems logical that Hitler celebrates Einstein's success. This is not the case. Why?
6. Explain the approach Einstein wants the U.S. to take in regards to the atomic bomb after its creation.
7. Einstein wins a Nobel Prize for physics in 1922, but not for his theory on relativity. For what work is he given the Nobel, and why is relativity not included?
8. Explain why some Japanese are insulted when Einstein speaks in that country.
9. The Holocaust is not underway when Einstein elects not to return to Germany. Why does he decide to stay away from his homeland?
10. What does the reader learn about Einstein's tastes, based on his reaction to the quarters on the ship reserves for him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Einstein's relationship with Germany from his early days as a professor to his final days in America. How does the relationship change? How do the attitudes of the common people change? Is Einstein responsible in any way for his status, or is he purely a victim of circumstance?
Essay Topic 2
Given the effects of his work, is Einstein a hero or a villain? Support either assertion with examples of people with similar strengths or weaknesses.
Essay Topic 3
Max Planck and Einstein have an interesting professional relationship that changes and evolves over the years. Planck is an important figure in Einstein's life. Discuss the different stages of their relationship and the reasons it changes.
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)