|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Toward the end of Chapter Thirteen, what happens to Elsa Einstein?
2. One of the people who attends Einstein's lecture in Paris is _____.
3. When asked by a reporter if he is happy in America, how does Einstein respond?
4. In what year does Einstein die?
5. What is Einstein's attitude toward the murder of Walter Rathenau, Minister of Foreign Affairs, at the opening of Chapter Nine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Einstein's international fame surprising?
2. With what group of critics does Einstein grow angry in Chapter Eight, and why?
3. What does Einstein's behavior after Elsa's death in Chapter Thirteen tell the reader about him? Is he insensitive?
4. Why does Einstein finally decide to settle in America?
5. What does the reader learn about Einstein's tastes, based on his reaction to the quarters on the ship reserves for him?
6. Why is Hitler's persecution of Einstein as a Jew ironic? Explain.
7. Explain why Einstein, a former pacifist, agrees to speak to President Roosevelt about the creation of an atomic bomb.
8. Explain Einstein's view of the political climate in Germany at the beginning of Chapter Nine.
9. What reason does Einstein give for wishing to cooperate particularly with American scientists?
10. Einstein brings national attention to Germany, so it seems logical that Hitler celebrates Einstein's success. This is not the case. Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Science is a constantly changing field, as new scientists expand and improve the work of those who come before them. Discuss at least three other scientific advances besides the atom bomb that Einstein's theory enables and the scientists who buils on his work.
Essay Topic 2
Einstein publishes several essays through the course of his life. Pick one essay and complete a detailed analysis; what does his writing tell the reader about his character? From what period in his life does the essay come, and what information or opinions does the essay contain that illustrate the time of his life?
Essay Topic 3
Given today's standards of what a father should be, is Einstein a success or a failure as a parent? Is he a combination of both? The author does not state how often Einstein sees his children after his divorce from Mileva; given his previous parental behavior, what level of involvement can the reader surmise he has in raising the children after the divorce?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)