|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unusual about Einstein's recommendations for people to take a US hospital job?
2. In what area does Mrs. Einstein excel?
3. In Chapter Thirteen, Infeld says of the professor, "Once a work is finished his interest in it ____".
4. After children sing carols at the Einstein house for Christmas, what reward does he offer them?
5. During Chapter Nine, how does Mrs. Einstein begin to feel about their fame?
Short Essay Questions
1. What plan does Einstein think up to slow the flood of autograph requests?
2. Explain why Einstein, a former pacifist, agrees to speak to President Roosevelt about the creation of an atomic bomb.
3. Einstein asks an American diplomat why the U.S. does not try to end Japan's aggressions in China with a boycott. Explain the diplomat's response and Einstein's feelings about the response.
4. Elsa Einstein says that it is difficult to be married to Albert Einstein. Does this seem likely? Why is it difficult?
5. Why are the Einsteins happier in California than on other trips? What is different?
6. What does the reader learn about Einstein's tastes, based on his reaction to the quarters on the ship reserves for him?
7. Why is Einstein no longer a pacifist in Chapter Fourteen?
8. Explain Einstein's view of the political climate in Germany at the beginning of Chapter Nine.
9. Explain Einstein's worries about the German Republic and his disturbing revelation in Marseilles.
10. Describe and explain Einstein's answer to the reporter who asks about the political climate in Germany. Why is Einstein so careful in answering?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Einstein publishes several essays through the course of his life. Pick one essay and complete a detailed analysis; what does his writing tell the reader about his character? From what period in his life does the essay come, and what information or opinions does the essay contain that illustrate the time of his life?
Essay Topic 2
Einstein builds on Newton's ideas. Pick one modern-day scientist who makes a career of building on Einstein's ideas, and discuss the ways in which Einstein's theories are updated from the 20th to the 21st century.
Essay Topic 3
How does the reader reconcile Einstein's pacifism with his decision to become involved with the production of the atomic bomb? Aren't those two things mutually exclusive? Is Einstein a hypocrite, or is there a bigger picture to consider?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)