|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Einstein decides in Chapter Twelve that he sends a letter of resignation to the Academy at Berlin. What is the response?
2. Einstein returns to work at the end of Chapter Thirteen. Why is this unusual?
3. When asked by the Archbishop what effect his theory has on religion, what does Einstein answer?
4. Who comes to live with Einstein early in Chapter Fourteen?
5. Why does Einstein decide not to accept the offered professorship in Jerusalem after leaving Germany?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Einstein happier at Princeton University than he is at previous appointments?
2. Why do some Berlin scientists imply that Einstein is a traitor to his country?
3. Einstein wins a Nobel Prize for physics in 1922, but not for his theory on relativity. For what work is he given the Nobel, and why is relativity not included?
4. Why is Einstein's international fame surprising?
5. The Holocaust is not underway when Einstein elects not to return to Germany. Why does he decide to stay away from his homeland?
6. Explain the approach Einstein wants the U.S. to take in regards to the atomic bomb after its creation.
7. With what group of critics does Einstein grow angry in Chapter Eight, and why?
8. Describe the boat incident in Chapter Thirteen, and explain what the reader learns about Einstein from this story.
9. Describe and explain Einstein's answer to the reporter who asks about the political climate in Germany. Why is Einstein so careful in answering?
10. Elsa Einstein says that it is difficult to be married to Albert Einstein. Does this seem likely? Why is it difficult?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Einstein publishes several essays through the course of his life. Pick one essay and complete a detailed analysis; what does his writing tell the reader about his character? From what period in his life does the essay come, and what information or opinions does the essay contain that illustrate the time of his life?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the ways in which Einstein's experiences at the Polytechnic School form who he is for the rest of his life. What impact do his friends have? What impact does Mileva have? If the school is structured differently, does Einstein become a different person? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the different schools Einstein attends and discuss why those schools are helpful or harmful to Einstein as he matures. What effect do the various types of instruction have on his personality and on his teaching career later in life?
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)