|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Einsteins leave the children at home in Chapter Nine in order to take a trip through what region?
2. The city of Berlin decides to give Einstein what for his 50th birthday?
3. Einstein has a medical issue in Chapter Ten. While in Switzerland, he has a ___________.
4. With what aspect of New York is Einstein frustrated?
5. What is Einstein's position on pacifism as he ages and as tension once again rises in Europe?
Short Essay Questions
1. With what group of critics does Einstein grow angry in Chapter Eight, and why?
2. Explain Einstein's worries about the German Republic and his disturbing revelation in Marseilles.
3. Elsa Einstein says that it is difficult to be married to Albert Einstein. Does this seem likely? Why is it difficult?
4. Einstein brings national attention to Germany, so it seems logical that Hitler celebrates Einstein's success. This is not the case. Why?
5. Explain why Einstein, a former pacifist, agrees to speak to President Roosevelt about the creation of an atomic bomb.
6. What does the reader learn about Einstein's tastes, based on his reaction to the quarters on the ship reserves for him?
7. Explain why the author calls Einstein a false prophet at the beginning of Chapter Eight.
8. Describe the boat incident in Chapter Thirteen, and explain what the reader learns about Einstein from this story.
9. What plan does Einstein think up to slow the flood of autograph requests?
10. Why is Einstein no longer a pacifist in Chapter Fourteen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Einstein's relationship with Germany from his early days as a professor to his final days in America. How does the relationship change? How do the attitudes of the common people change? Is Einstein responsible in any way for his status, or is he purely a victim of circumstance?
Essay Topic 2
How does Einstein feel about his legacy as a scientist? Given all that comes from his work, is he pleased with his contribution to the world or dismayed by it? Use material from the book and knowledge of his character to support either assertion and discuss in detail Einstein's feelings about the modern applications of his theory.
Essay Topic 3
Albert Einstein is a problem student. Is he too lazy to learn, or does his school system fail him? Use supporting material from the text and discuss in detail the challenge of teaching Einstein. What other great scholars or artists are difficult students?
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)