|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what aspect of New York is Einstein frustrated?
2. What is Einstein's attitude about his new celebrity status at the beginning of Chapter Eight?
3. The President of Columbia University, in his introduction, says that Dr. Einstein gives the world...?
4. The author mentions three ways Einstein behaves toward all admirers. Which of the following is NOT mentioned?
5. Who comes to live with Einstein early in Chapter Fourteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Einstein so enthused to meet Dr. Albert Michelson in California?
2. Why do some Berlin scientists imply that Einstein is a traitor to his country?
3. Why is Einstein's international fame surprising?
4. Einstein brings national attention to Germany, so it seems logical that Hitler celebrates Einstein's success. This is not the case. Why?
5. Elsa Einstein says that it is difficult to be married to Albert Einstein. Does this seem likely? Why is it difficult?
6. Einstein asks an American diplomat why the U.S. does not try to end Japan's aggressions in China with a boycott. Explain the diplomat's response and Einstein's feelings about the response.
7. The Holocaust is not underway when Einstein elects not to return to Germany. Why does he decide to stay away from his homeland?
8. Einstein wins a Nobel Prize for physics in 1922, but not for his theory on relativity. For what work is he given the Nobel, and why is relativity not included?
9. Describe Einstein's attempts to help those less fortunate refugees in Chapter Thirteen.
10. Why is Einstein no longer a pacifist in Chapter Fourteen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Imagine parenting Albert Einstein as a young child. Do his parents do a good job with him, or are they so far off the mark in understanding him that they parent badly? In what ways could they do things differently, or make greater efforts to understand him more completely? Be sure to use supporting material from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Einstein publishes several essays through the course of his life. Pick one essay and complete a detailed analysis; what does his writing tell the reader about his character? From what period in his life does the essay come, and what information or opinions does the essay contain that illustrate the time of his life?
Essay Topic 3
How does Einstein feel about his legacy as a scientist? Given all that comes from his work, is he pleased with his contribution to the world or dismayed by it? Use material from the book and knowledge of his character to support either assertion and discuss in detail Einstein's feelings about the modern applications of his theory.
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)