|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Einstein's assistant, Infeld, unable to answer a reporter's question on what Einstein thinks of the book they co-write?
2. As the Einsteins prepare to return to California in 1932, Dr. Einstein tells his wife to take a long look at their house. Why?
3. Einstein's peers feel he has what attitude toward his country during Chapter Nine?
4. What is Einstein's position on pacifism as he ages and as tension once again rises in Europe?
5. What does Elsa say about her memory of Einstein as a young boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Einstein so enthused to meet Dr. Albert Michelson in California?
2. Explain why the author calls Einstein a false prophet at the beginning of Chapter Eight.
3. Explain Einstein's view of the political climate in Germany at the beginning of Chapter Nine.
4. What does the reader learn about Einstein's tastes, based on his reaction to the quarters on the ship reserves for him?
5. What does Einstein's behavior after Elsa's death in Chapter Thirteen tell the reader about him? Is he insensitive?
6. What plan does Einstein think up to slow the flood of autograph requests?
7. Einstein wins a Nobel Prize for physics in 1922, but not for his theory on relativity. For what work is he given the Nobel, and why is relativity not included?
8. Elsa Einstein says that it is difficult to be married to Albert Einstein. Does this seem likely? Why is it difficult?
9. Explain Einstein's worries about the German Republic and his disturbing revelation in Marseilles.
10. Why is Einstein happier at Princeton University than he is at previous appointments?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the ways in which Einstein's experiences at the Polytechnic School form who he is for the rest of his life. What impact do his friends have? What impact does Mileva have? If the school is structured differently, does Einstein become a different person? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Imagine parenting Albert Einstein as a young child. Do his parents do a good job with him, or are they so far off the mark in understanding him that they parent badly? In what ways could they do things differently, or make greater efforts to understand him more completely? Be sure to use supporting material from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Mileva Maritsch and Elsa Einstein. What are the strengths and weaknesses of each woman? In what ways do each influence Einstein's life?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)