|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When asked by a reporter if he is happy in America, how does Einstein respond?
2. Einstein adopts a terrier pup in Chapter Fourteen. What is the name of the dog?
3. Einstein mentions during the Berlin gift nonsense that it "becomes an excuse for many people for the best thing there is in life:________".
4. Einstein always tries to help others. In what way does he try to help most in Chapter Thirteen?
5. On the way home from the trip to Japan, Einstein cannot resist an invitation to visit what country?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Hitler's persecution of Einstein as a Jew ironic? Explain.
2. Why is Einstein no longer a pacifist in Chapter Fourteen?
3. Einstein wins a Nobel Prize for physics in 1922, but not for his theory on relativity. For what work is he given the Nobel, and why is relativity not included?
4. Describe and explain Einstein's answer to the reporter who asks about the political climate in Germany. Why is Einstein so careful in answering?
5. What does the reader learn about Einstein's tastes, based on his reaction to the quarters on the ship reserves for him?
6. Why are the Einsteins happier in California than on other trips? What is different?
7. With what group of critics does Einstein grow angry in Chapter Eight, and why?
8. What reason does Einstein give for wishing to cooperate particularly with American scientists?
9. Elsa Einstein says that it is difficult to be married to Albert Einstein. Does this seem likely? Why is it difficult?
10. Einstein brings national attention to Germany, so it seems logical that Hitler celebrates Einstein's success. This is not the case. Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Einstein builds on Newton's ideas. Pick one modern-day scientist who makes a career of building on Einstein's ideas, and discuss the ways in which Einstein's theories are updated from the 20th to the 21st century.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Mileva Maritsch and Elsa Einstein. What are the strengths and weaknesses of each woman? In what ways do each influence Einstein's life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the ways in which Einstein's experiences at the Polytechnic School form who he is for the rest of his life. What impact do his friends have? What impact does Mileva have? If the school is structured differently, does Einstein become a different person? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)