|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author gives three reasons why some scientists disagree with Einstein's work. Which of the following does the author NOT mention?
2. Einstein resigns from the Commission for the Co-operation of Intellectuals after a year because he realizes what about the organization?
3. What does Einstein do after his retirement in Chapter Fourteen?
4. What is unusual about Einstein's recommendations for people to take a US hospital job?
5. Einstein decides in Chapter Twelve that he sends a letter of resignation to the Academy at Berlin. What is the response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Einstein feel about his legacy as a scientist? Given all that comes from his work, is he pleased with his contribution to the world or dismayed by it? Use material from the book and knowledge of his character to support either assertion and discuss in detail Einstein's feelings about the modern applications of his theory.
Essay Topic 2
What impact does Einstein's theory have in areas other than science? What philosophers use his work, and for what purposes?
Essay Topic 3
Given today's standards of what a father should be, is Einstein a success or a failure as a parent? Is he a combination of both? The author does not state how often Einstein sees his children after his divorce from Mileva; given his previous parental behavior, what level of involvement can the reader surmise he has in raising the children after the divorce?
This section contains 1,123 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)