|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mrs. Einstein's role in her husband's new fame?
2. Einstein doesn't usually enjoy movies, but he does appreciate the one he attends as a guest of which movie star in Chapter Eleven?
3. In Chapter Thirteen, Infeld says of the professor, "Once a work is finished his interest in it ____".
4. What does Einstein do after his retirement in Chapter Fourteen?
5. What is Einstein's attitude about his new celebrity status at the beginning of Chapter Eight?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Elsa Einstein unhappy in Jerusalem? Explain.
2. What reason does Einstein give for wishing to cooperate particularly with American scientists?
3. Why is Hitler's persecution of Einstein as a Jew ironic? Explain.
4. Why is Einstein happier at Princeton University than he is at previous appointments?
5. Describe Einstein's attempts to help those less fortunate refugees in Chapter Thirteen.
6. Explain why the author calls Einstein a false prophet at the beginning of Chapter Eight.
7. Explain why Einstein, a former pacifist, agrees to speak to President Roosevelt about the creation of an atomic bomb.
8. Einstein wins a Nobel Prize for physics in 1922, but not for his theory on relativity. For what work is he given the Nobel, and why is relativity not included?
9. Describe and explain Einstein's answer to the reporter who asks about the political climate in Germany. Why is Einstein so careful in answering?
10. Why do some Berlin scientists imply that Einstein is a traitor to his country?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Albert Einstein is a problem student. Is he too lazy to learn, or does his school system fail him? Use supporting material from the text and discuss in detail the challenge of teaching Einstein. What other great scholars or artists are difficult students?
Essay Topic 2
Given today's standards of what a father should be, is Einstein a success or a failure as a parent? Is he a combination of both? The author does not state how often Einstein sees his children after his divorce from Mileva; given his previous parental behavior, what level of involvement can the reader surmise he has in raising the children after the divorce?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of woman is Mileva Maritsch? Does the author present her fairly? Compare and contrast the author's portrait of Mileva with your own research. In what ways are the accounts of her similar, and in what ways do they differ?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)