|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author states that several French physicists give Einstein a cold reception in Chapter Eight. What reason does the author give for this?
2. How long does it take Einstein to become a US citizen?
3. The author gives three reasons why some scientists disagree with Einstein's work. Which of the following does the author NOT mention?
4. Mrs. Einstein is frightened and alarmed when she hears what report in Chapter Twelve?
5. Einstein returns to work at the end of Chapter Thirteen. Why is this unusual?
Short Essay Questions
1. Einstein brings national attention to Germany, so it seems logical that Hitler celebrates Einstein's success. This is not the case. Why?
2. Einstein wins a Nobel Prize for physics in 1922, but not for his theory on relativity. For what work is he given the Nobel, and why is relativity not included?
3. Why are the Einsteins happier in California than on other trips? What is different?
4. Elsa Einstein says that it is difficult to be married to Albert Einstein. Does this seem likely? Why is it difficult?
5. Why is Hitler's persecution of Einstein as a Jew ironic? Explain.
6. Explain the approach Einstein wants the U.S. to take in regards to the atomic bomb after its creation.
7. Einstein asks an American diplomat why the U.S. does not try to end Japan's aggressions in China with a boycott. Explain the diplomat's response and Einstein's feelings about the response.
8. Explain why Einstein, a former pacifist, agrees to speak to President Roosevelt about the creation of an atomic bomb.
9. Why is Elsa Einstein unhappy in Jerusalem? Explain.
10. Explain Einstein's view of the political climate in Germany at the beginning of Chapter Nine.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Einstein builds on Newton's ideas. Pick one modern-day scientist who makes a career of building on Einstein's ideas, and discuss the ways in which Einstein's theories are updated from the 20th to the 21st century.
Essay Topic 2
Given today's standards of what a father should be, is Einstein a success or a failure as a parent? Is he a combination of both? The author does not state how often Einstein sees his children after his divorce from Mileva; given his previous parental behavior, what level of involvement can the reader surmise he has in raising the children after the divorce?
Essay Topic 3
How does Einstein feel about his legacy as a scientist? Given all that comes from his work, is he pleased with his contribution to the world or dismayed by it? Use material from the book and knowledge of his character to support either assertion and discuss in detail Einstein's feelings about the modern applications of his theory.
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)