|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Chapter One, what odd experience does Einstein have in Germany before he leaves?
2. The two American scientists, Michelson and Morley, are trying to measure the speed of what?
3. Mrs. Einstein thinks her son should have what when he turns six?
4. What does Einstein's theory tell us about time and space?
5. Toward the end of Chapter Two, Hermann finds Albert awake when he goes to check on the boy. Why does Albert say he's still awake?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Einstein's theory of relativity have to do with Michelson and Morley's experiment?
2. Why is young Einstein disgusted with his music teacher? Explain.
3. As Einstein starts receiving professorships, why is Mileva still frustrated with their financial situation?
4. Describe Pauline Einstein. What kind of woman is she?
5. What is interesting about Einstein's approach to the customary visits usually undertaken by new staff members? What is the result of his decision?
6. Why does the author specifically mention that Einstein answers the strange boy on the porch in German?
7. Describe Mr. Einstein's appearance at the opening of the book.
8. Why is the job at the Patent Office a good position for Einstein? Explain.
9. Why do Michelson and Morley assume that their experiments are a failure?
10. Describe Einstein's parents, Pauline and Hermann. What type of parents are they?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Imagine parenting Albert Einstein as a young child. Do his parents do a good job with him, or are they so far off the mark in understanding him that they parent badly? In what ways could they do things differently, or make greater efforts to understand him more completely? Be sure to use supporting material from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Pick an Einstein quote that sums up his character and discuss in detail why that particular quote says all that needs to be said about him. The selected quote should speak to at least three different aspects of his character.
Essay Topic 3
What impact does Einstein's theory have in areas other than science? What philosophers use his work, and for what purposes?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)