|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes Einstein's second wife?
2. Shortly after the Einstein family relocates to Prague, Einstein is offered a full professorship where?
3. Einstein's theory explains what about the sun?
4. According to Chapter One, what odd experience does Einstein have in Germany before he leaves?
5. Toward the end of Chapter Two, Hermann finds Albert awake when he goes to check on the boy. Why does Albert say he's still awake?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what happens to the group of German astronomers who plan to check Einstein's theory on light rays by observing a total eclipse.
2. Describe Mileva Maritsch's frustrations with her marriage to Einstein. Is it Einstein with whom she is displeased, or something else?
3. In Chapter Two, Pauline Einstein thinks that Albert is ill and sends him to bed early. What brings about the change in Albert's appearance, and why does his mother mistake it for illness?
4. Describe Einstein's parents, Pauline and Hermann. What type of parents are they?
5. Why does the author specifically mention that Einstein answers the strange boy on the porch in German?
6. The author states that relativity is not new, and she uses a train as an example. Explain this example. Why does the author use this example?
7. Why does Mileva decide not to move with her husband to Berlin?
8. What does the reader learn about Albert from his questions about his father's compass?
9. What does Einstein's theory of relativity have to do with Michelson and Morley's experiment?
10. Why is the job at the Patent Office a good position for Einstein? Explain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the reader reconcile Einstein's pacifism with his decision to become involved with the production of the atomic bomb? Aren't those two things mutually exclusive? Is Einstein a hypocrite, or is there a bigger picture to consider?
Essay Topic 2
Pick an Einstein quote that sums up his character and discuss in detail why that particular quote says all that needs to be said about him. The selected quote should speak to at least three different aspects of his character.
Essay Topic 3
Not all of the results of Einstein's work are negative in the way that the atomic bomb is negative. Discuss three modern-day uses either related to or directly stemming from Einstein's work and possible future applications. Be sure to illustrate the relationship between Einstein's theory and modern theory clearly.
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)