Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Albert's nursery governess says what about her experience taking the children to the park?
2. When Einstein graduates from the University of Zurich, what degree is he awarded?
3. The author says that Albert and Maja resemble each other strongly except for one feature. What is different about the children?
4. The Einsteins come to the conclusion that they should divorce. What does the author say about their relationship after the divorce?
5. In relation to Michelson and Morley's work, Einstein's theory claims what?
Short Essay Questions
1. With what group of critics does Einstein grow angry in Chapter Eight, and why?
2. Why are the Einsteins happier in California than on other trips? What is different?
3. Is it easy or difficult to manage a child like Albert? Explain.
4. Why is Einstein sometimes called the Newton of the twentieth century?
5. Explain the approach Einstein wants the U.S. to take in regards to the atomic bomb after its creation.
6. Describe the boat incident in Chapter Thirteen, and explain what the reader learns about Einstein from this story.
7. What does Einstein's theory of relativity have to do with Michelson and Morley's experiment?
8. Why do some Berlin scientists imply that Einstein is a traitor to his country?
9. Why does the author specifically mention that Einstein answers the strange boy on the porch in German?
10. Why is Einstein's international fame surprising?
Not all of the results of Einstein's work are negative in the way that the atomic bomb is negative. Discuss three modern-day uses either related to or directly stemming from Einstein's work and possible future applications. Be sure to illustrate the relationship between Einstein's theory and modern theory clearly.
Discuss the ways in which Einstein's experiences at the Polytechnic School form who he is for the rest of his life. What impact do his friends have? What impact does Mileva have? If the school is structured differently, does Einstein become a different person? Why or why not?
Einstein builds on Newton's ideas. Pick one modern-day scientist who makes a career of building on Einstein's ideas, and discuss the ways in which Einstein's theories are updated from the 20th to the 21st century.
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)