Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Albert's nursery governess says what about her experience taking the children to the park?
2. When Einstein graduates from the University of Zurich, what degree is he awarded?
3. The author says that Albert and Maja resemble each other strongly except for one feature. What is different about the children?
4. The Einsteins come to the conclusion that they should divorce. What does the author say about their relationship after the divorce?
5. In relation to Michelson and Morley's work, Einstein's theory claims what?
Short Essay Questions
1. With what group of critics does Einstein grow angry in Chapter Eight, and why?
2. Why are the Einsteins happier in California than on other trips? What is different?
3. Is it easy or difficult to manage a child like Albert? Explain.
4. Why is Einstein sometimes called the Newton of the twentieth century?
5. Explain the approach Einstein wants the U.S. to take in regards to the atomic bomb after its creation.
6. Describe the boat incident in Chapter Thirteen, and explain what the reader learns about Einstein from this story.
7. What does Einstein's theory of relativity have to do with Michelson and Morley's experiment?
8. Why do some Berlin scientists imply that Einstein is a traitor to his country?
9. Why does the author specifically mention that Einstein answers the strange boy on the porch in German?
10. Why is Einstein's international fame surprising?
Essay Topic 1
Imagine parenting Albert Einstein as a young child. Do his parents do a good job with him, or are they so far off the mark in understanding him that they parent badly? In what ways could they do things differently, or make greater efforts to understand him more completely? Be sure to use supporting material from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Given today's standards of what a father should be, is Einstein a success or a failure as a parent? Is he a combination of both? The author does not state how often Einstein sees his children after his divorce from Mileva; given his previous parental behavior, what level of involvement can the reader surmise he has in raising the children after the divorce?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Mileva Maritsch and Elsa Einstein. What are the strengths and weaknesses of each woman? In what ways do each influence Einstein's life?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)