|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Hermann suggest his son ask about the compass?
2. At the time this story takes place, Einstein is living in what country?
3. What does Einstein say is the most important part of the Royal Society's research, after he receives their findings on his theory?
4. How does Uncle Jake feel when Albert admits how he feels about school?
5. In Chapter Two, the reader learns that Hermann Einstein does what for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Einstein's theory of relativity have to do with Michelson and Morley's experiment?
2. Why does the author specifically mention that Einstein answers the strange boy on the porch in German?
3. In Chapter Two, Pauline Einstein thinks that Albert is ill and sends him to bed early. What brings about the change in Albert's appearance, and why does his mother mistake it for illness?
4. The reader learns that Einstein's work eventually leads other scientists to create the atom bomb. Why?
5. Explain Einstein's view, as stated in Chapter Seven, on how scientists should behave in the global community.
6. Why does Einstein not enjoy giving interviews?
7. Why do Michelson and Morley assume that their experiments are a failure?
8. Why is the job at the Patent Office a good position for Einstein? Explain.
9. Why does Hermann Einstein say that an education is so important? He mentions that "a Jew needs one to get along nowadays." To what situation is Hermann referring?
10. As Einstein starts receiving professorships, why is Mileva still frustrated with their financial situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Science is a constantly changing field, as new scientists expand and improve the work of those who come before them. Discuss at least three other scientific advances besides the atom bomb that Einstein's theory enables and the scientists who buils on his work.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Mileva Maritsch and Elsa Einstein. What are the strengths and weaknesses of each woman? In what ways do each influence Einstein's life?
Essay Topic 3
How does the reader reconcile Einstein's pacifism with his decision to become involved with the production of the atomic bomb? Aren't those two things mutually exclusive? Is Einstein a hypocrite, or is there a bigger picture to consider?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)