|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What impression does the reader have of Mileva's attitude toward her life during Chapter Six?
2. The two American scientists, Michelson and Morley, are trying to measure the speed of what?
3. During Chapter Six, in which of the following cities do Einstein and his family NOT live?
4. Chapter Five opens with Einstein presenting his paper on what?
5. Albert's nursery governess says what about her experience taking the children to the park?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is interesting about Einstein's approach to the customary visits usually undertaken by new staff members? What is the result of his decision?
2. Describe Mileva Maritsch.
3. Why do Michelson and Morley assume that their experiments are a failure?
4. Explain Einstein's view, as stated in Chapter Seven, on how scientists should behave in the global community.
5. In Chapter Two, Pauline Einstein thinks that Albert is ill and sends him to bed early. What brings about the change in Albert's appearance, and why does his mother mistake it for illness?
6. Describe Pauline Einstein. What kind of woman is she?
7. Based on Einstein's dialogue with community members, what type of person does he seem to be in Chapter One?
8. Why does Mileva decide not to move with her husband to Berlin?
9. Explain what happens to the group of German astronomers who plan to check Einstein's theory on light rays by observing a total eclipse.
10. The reader learns that Einstein's work eventually leads other scientists to create the atom bomb. Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick an Einstein quote that sums up his character and discuss in detail why that particular quote says all that needs to be said about him. The selected quote should speak to at least three different aspects of his character.
Essay Topic 2
Albert Einstein is a problem student. Is he too lazy to learn, or does his school system fail him? Use supporting material from the text and discuss in detail the challenge of teaching Einstein. What other great scholars or artists are difficult students?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the ways in which Einstein's experiences at the Polytechnic School form who he is for the rest of his life. What impact do his friends have? What impact does Mileva have? If the school is structured differently, does Einstein become a different person? Why or why not?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)