|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Swiss schools are not anxious to hire Einstein for all BUT WHICH of the following reasons?
2. What reason does the author mention for why Mileva is unhappy in her marriage?
3. Why does Hermann Einstein know more about science than the average businessman?
4. What does Einstein's famous formula mean?
5. After the war, two teams are sent to record the total eclipse. Why are there two teams?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mileva Maritsch.
2. Why does Einstein change his mind about granting the boy from the porch an interview?
3. Do the townspeople respect Einstein at the beginning of the book?
4. Describe Pauline Einstein. What kind of woman is she?
5. Explain why the author calls Einstein a false prophet at the beginning of Chapter Eight.
6. Why is Hitler's persecution of Einstein as a Jew ironic? Explain.
7. Why does Einstein finally decide to settle in America?
8. Describe the boat incident in Chapter Thirteen, and explain what the reader learns about Einstein from this story.
9. As Einstein starts receiving professorships, why is Mileva still frustrated with their financial situation?
10. Explain Einstein's worries about the German Republic and his disturbing revelation in Marseilles.
Essay Topic 1
Not all of the results of Einstein's work are negative in the way that the atomic bomb is negative. Discuss three modern-day uses either related to or directly stemming from Einstein's work and possible future applications. Be sure to illustrate the relationship between Einstein's theory and modern theory clearly.
Essay Topic 2
Einstein publishes several essays through the course of his life. Pick one essay and complete a detailed analysis; what does his writing tell the reader about his character? From what period in his life does the essay come, and what information or opinions does the essay contain that illustrate the time of his life?
Essay Topic 3
Science is a constantly changing field, as new scientists expand and improve the work of those who come before them. Discuss at least three other scientific advances besides the atom bomb that Einstein's theory enables and the scientists who buils on his work.
This section contains 1,714 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)