Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Albert's nursery governess says what about her experience taking the children to the park?
2. When Einstein graduates from the University of Zurich, what degree is he awarded?
3. The author says that Albert and Maja resemble each other strongly except for one feature. What is different about the children?
4. The Einsteins come to the conclusion that they should divorce. What does the author say about their relationship after the divorce?
5. In relation to Michelson and Morley's work, Einstein's theory claims what?
Short Essay Questions
1. With what group of critics does Einstein grow angry in Chapter Eight, and why?
2. Why are the Einsteins happier in California than on other trips? What is different?
3. Is it easy or difficult to manage a child like Albert? Explain.
4. Why is Einstein sometimes called the Newton of the twentieth century?
5. Explain the approach Einstein wants the U.S. to take in regards to the atomic bomb after its creation.
6. Describe the boat incident in Chapter Thirteen, and explain what the reader learns about Einstein from this story.
7. What does Einstein's theory of relativity have to do with Michelson and Morley's experiment?
8. Why do some Berlin scientists imply that Einstein is a traitor to his country?
9. Why does the author specifically mention that Einstein answers the strange boy on the porch in German?
10. Why is Einstein's international fame surprising?
Given the effects of his work, is Einstein a hero or a villain? Support either assertion with examples of people with similar strengths or weaknesses.
How does Einstein feel about his legacy as a scientist? Given all that comes from his work, is he pleased with his contribution to the world or dismayed by it? Use material from the book and knowledge of his character to support either assertion and discuss in detail Einstein's feelings about the modern applications of his theory.
Max Planck and Einstein have an interesting professional relationship that changes and evolves over the years. Planck is an important figure in Einstein's life. Discuss the different stages of their relationship and the reasons it changes.
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)