|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Einstein graduates from the University of Zurich, what degree is he awarded?
2. What does Einstein say he thinks is the result of seeing the charm on his father's watch?
3. What does Einstein tell the boy from the porch that he remembers best about Munich?
4. At the time this story takes place, Einstein is living in what country?
5. Why does Hermann Einstein know more about science than the average businessman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Einstein's theory of relativity have to do with Michelson and Morley's experiment?
2. In what ways is Elsa just what Einstein needs? Explain.
3. Why is the job at the Patent Office a good position for Einstein? Explain.
4. Describe Mr. Einstein's appearance at the opening of the book.
5. According to the author, how is the relationship between Einstein and Mileva during and after their divorce?
6. Is it easy or difficult to manage a child like Albert? Explain.
7. Why does Mileva decide not to move with her husband to Berlin?
8. The reader learns that Einstein's work eventually leads other scientists to create the atom bomb. Why?
9. Why do Michelson and Morley assume that their experiments are a failure?
10. Describe young Albert Einstein's feelings about school.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of woman is Mileva Maritsch? Does the author present her fairly? Compare and contrast the author's portrait of Mileva with your own research. In what ways are the accounts of her similar, and in what ways do they differ?
Essay Topic 2
Given today's standards of what a father should be, is Einstein a success or a failure as a parent? Is he a combination of both? The author does not state how often Einstein sees his children after his divorce from Mileva; given his previous parental behavior, what level of involvement can the reader surmise he has in raising the children after the divorce?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Einstein's changing relationship with his religion, from his attitude toward it as a child through young adulthood and finally to old age. In what ways does religion influence him through his life, if at all? How does he reconcile faith with science?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)