|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Swiss schools are not anxious to hire Einstein for all BUT WHICH of the following reasons?
2. Albert tells his uncle that being in school is like what?
3. What kind of school does Albert attend in Chapter Two?
4. At the time it is published, the popular saying about Einstein's famous theory is what?
5. When Einstein first lectures on his theory in the US, he comments that, "It is all very simple." How does the audience respond?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Einstein's parents, Pauline and Hermann. What type of parents are they?
2. Why does Einstein not enjoy giving interviews?
3. Describe Mr. Einstein's appearance at the opening of the book.
4. Based on Einstein's dialogue with community members, what type of person does he seem to be in Chapter One?
5. What does Einstein's theory of relativity have to do with Michelson and Morley's experiment?
6. The author states that relativity is not new, and she uses a train as an example. Explain this example. Why does the author use this example?
7. Why is the job at the Patent Office a good position for Einstein? Explain.
8. Describe Mileva Maritsch's frustrations with her marriage to Einstein. Is it Einstein with whom she is displeased, or something else?
9. Why is Einstein sometimes called the Newton of the twentieth century?
10. Is it easy or difficult to manage a child like Albert? Explain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the ways in which Einstein's experiences at the Polytechnic School form who he is for the rest of his life. What impact do his friends have? What impact does Mileva have? If the school is structured differently, does Einstein become a different person? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Albert Einstein is a pacifist. Using supporting material from the book, explain his world view and how it evolves over the course of his life. What are the factors that initially influence him to become a pacifist, and why does he eventually abandon the notion? How does his pacifism affect his scientific career?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the different schools Einstein attends and discuss why those schools are helpful or harmful to Einstein as he matures. What effect do the various types of instruction have on his personality and on his teaching career later in life?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)