|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On his walk at the opening of Chapter One, who does Einstein NOT greet?
2. Why is Albert glad that his uncle doesn't ask about his friends at school?
3. Einstein's theory explains what about the sun?
4. What does Einstein say he thinks is the result of seeing the charm on his father's watch?
5. The title of Chapter Seven says that Einstein is sometimes called the _____________ of the Twentieth Century.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Elsa Einstein unhappy in Jerusalem? Explain.
2. As Einstein starts receiving professorships, why is Mileva still frustrated with their financial situation?
3. The reader learns that Einstein's work eventually leads other scientists to create the atom bomb. Why?
4. Why is the job at the Patent Office a good position for Einstein? Explain.
5. Why do some Berlin scientists imply that Einstein is a traitor to his country?
6. Einstein asks an American diplomat why the U.S. does not try to end Japan's aggressions in China with a boycott. Explain the diplomat's response and Einstein's feelings about the response.
7. The author states that relativity is not new, and she uses a train as an example. Explain this example. Why does the author use this example?
8. Describe young Albert Einstein's feelings about school.
9. What does the reader learn about Albert from his questions about his father's compass?
10. According to the author, how is the relationship between Einstein and Mileva during and after their divorce?
Essay Topic 1
Given the effects of his work, is Einstein a hero or a villain? Support either assertion with examples of people with similar strengths or weaknesses.
Essay Topic 2
Given today's standards of what a father should be, is Einstein a success or a failure as a parent? Is he a combination of both? The author does not state how often Einstein sees his children after his divorce from Mileva; given his previous parental behavior, what level of involvement can the reader surmise he has in raising the children after the divorce?
Essay Topic 3
Albert Einstein is a problem student. Is he too lazy to learn, or does his school system fail him? Use supporting material from the text and discuss in detail the challenge of teaching Einstein. What other great scholars or artists are difficult students?
This section contains 1,731 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)