|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Einstein moves his family into a small apartment to save money, and the children wake up covered in bites. What is biting them?
2. After dinner, Albert claims he'll be able to sleep better if he can take what to bed?
3. Einstein's responses to the people he meets during the course of chapter one suggest what about his character?
4. What is the result of the total eclipse expeditions in Chapter Seven?
5. When Einstein first lectures on his theory in the US, he comments that, "It is all very simple." How does the audience respond?
Short Essay Questions
1. The reader learns that Einstein's work eventually leads other scientists to create the atom bomb. Why?
2. Explain what happens to the group of German astronomers who plan to check Einstein's theory on light rays by observing a total eclipse.
3. The author states that relativity is not new, and she uses a train as an example. Explain this example. Why does the author use this example?
4. Why do Michelson and Morley assume that their experiments are a failure?
5. Describe Mileva Maritsch.
6. Why does Einstein not enjoy giving interviews?
7. What is interesting about Einstein's approach to the customary visits usually undertaken by new staff members? What is the result of his decision?
8. Why does Mileva decide not to move with her husband to Berlin?
9. Describe Mr. Einstein's appearance at the opening of the book.
10. What does the reader learn about Albert from his questions about his father's compass?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Not all of the results of Einstein's work are negative in the way that the atomic bomb is negative. Discuss three modern-day uses either related to or directly stemming from Einstein's work and possible future applications. Be sure to illustrate the relationship between Einstein's theory and modern theory clearly.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Mileva Maritsch and Elsa Einstein. What are the strengths and weaknesses of each woman? In what ways do each influence Einstein's life?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of woman is Mileva Maritsch? Does the author present her fairly? Compare and contrast the author's portrait of Mileva with your own research. In what ways are the accounts of her similar, and in what ways do they differ?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)