|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what part of Einstein's job at the university is his wife dissatisfied in Chapter Six?
2. What is the most important part of school for Einstein's multi-cultural friends at his new school?
3. Toward the end of Chapter Seven, Einstein's theory is finally ______.
4. The boy Miss Dukas leaves on the porch mentions to Einstein that his family all die in concentration camps, and that he is from what city?
5. In Chapter Four, what kind of father is Einstein?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe young Albert Einstein's feelings about school.
2. Why do Michelson and Morley assume that their experiments are a failure?
3. The author states that relativity is not new, and she uses a train as an example. Explain this example. Why does the author use this example?
4. Why does the author specifically mention that Einstein answers the strange boy on the porch in German?
5. Based on Einstein's dialogue with community members, what type of person does he seem to be in Chapter One?
6. Why is the job at the Patent Office a good position for Einstein? Explain.
7. Why does Hermann Einstein say that an education is so important? He mentions that "a Jew needs one to get along nowadays." To what situation is Hermann referring?
8. Do the townspeople respect Einstein at the beginning of the book?
9. What does Einstein's theory of relativity have to do with Michelson and Morley's experiment?
10. According to the author, why does young Einstein not fit in at his school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Given the effects of his work, is Einstein a hero or a villain? Support either assertion with examples of people with similar strengths or weaknesses.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Mileva Maritsch and Elsa Einstein. What are the strengths and weaknesses of each woman? In what ways do each influence Einstein's life?
Essay Topic 3
Max Planck and Einstein have an interesting professional relationship that changes and evolves over the years. Planck is an important figure in Einstein's life. Discuss the different stages of their relationship and the reasons it changes.
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)