|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the boy from the porch think Einstein might help him?
2. Why doesn't Miss Dukas let the strange boy waiting for Einstein on the porch come inside the house?
3. When Einstein first lectures on his theory in the US, he comments that, "It is all very simple." How does the audience respond?
4. Einstein is most interested in what part of being a professor?
5. What does Einstein's famous formula mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mr. Einstein's appearance at the opening of the book.
2. Explain Einstein's view, as stated in Chapter Seven, on how scientists should behave in the global community.
3. According to the author, how is the relationship between Einstein and Mileva during and after their divorce?
4. The reader learns that Einstein's work eventually leads other scientists to create the atom bomb. Why?
5. Why is the job at the Patent Office a good position for Einstein? Explain.
6. Describe young Albert Einstein's feelings about school.
7. Why do Michelson and Morley assume that their experiments are a failure?
8. Why does Einstein not enjoy giving interviews?
9. Is it easy or difficult to manage a child like Albert? Explain.
10. Based on Einstein's dialogue with community members, what type of person does he seem to be in Chapter One?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Given today's standards of what a father should be, is Einstein a success or a failure as a parent? Is he a combination of both? The author does not state how often Einstein sees his children after his divorce from Mileva; given his previous parental behavior, what level of involvement can the reader surmise he has in raising the children after the divorce?
Essay Topic 2
How does Einstein feel about his legacy as a scientist? Given all that comes from his work, is he pleased with his contribution to the world or dismayed by it? Use material from the book and knowledge of his character to support either assertion and discuss in detail Einstein's feelings about the modern applications of his theory.
Essay Topic 3
Science is a constantly changing field, as new scientists expand and improve the work of those who come before them. Discuss at least three other scientific advances besides the atom bomb that Einstein's theory enables and the scientists who buils on his work.
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)