|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Uncle Jake feel when Albert admits how he feels about school?
2. Toward the end of Chapter One, Einstein finds a boy waiting for him on the porch. In what language does the boy speak to him?
3. Chapter Two ends with Mrs. Einstein expressing her desire that her son becomes what?
4. What reason does Albert give when asked why he doesn't ask his teachers questions?
5. During Chapter Two, Albert tells his father that he wants something specific for his upcoming birthday. What is it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do the townspeople respect Einstein at the beginning of the book?
2. Explain why some Japanese are insulted when Einstein speaks in that country.
3. Based on Einstein's dialogue with community members, what type of person does he seem to be in Chapter One?
4. What does Einstein's behavior after Elsa's death in Chapter Thirteen tell the reader about him? Is he insensitive?
5. Explain Einstein's worries about the German Republic and his disturbing revelation in Marseilles.
6. Why do Michelson and Morley assume that their experiments are a failure?
7. Why does Einstein change his mind about granting the boy from the porch an interview?
8. Why does the author specifically mention that Einstein answers the strange boy on the porch in German?
9. Why does Mileva decide not to move with her husband to Berlin?
10. In Chapter Two, Pauline Einstein thinks that Albert is ill and sends him to bed early. What brings about the change in Albert's appearance, and why does his mother mistake it for illness?
Essay Topic 1
Einstein builds on Newton's ideas. Pick one modern-day scientist who makes a career of building on Einstein's ideas, and discuss the ways in which Einstein's theories are updated from the 20th to the 21st century.
Essay Topic 2
What kind of woman is Mileva Maritsch? Does the author present her fairly? Compare and contrast the author's portrait of Mileva with your own research. In what ways are the accounts of her similar, and in what ways do they differ?
Essay Topic 3
Einstein publishes several essays through the course of his life. Pick one essay and complete a detailed analysis; what does his writing tell the reader about his character? From what period in his life does the essay come, and what information or opinions does the essay contain that illustrate the time of his life?
This section contains 1,647 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)