|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Einstein's theory explains what about the sun?
2. Why is Hermann Einstein pleased when his son displays interest in the pocket watch?
3. The Swiss schools are not anxious to hire Einstein for all BUT WHICH of the following reasons?
4. In Chapter Six, a friend offers Einstein three positions in Berlin. Which of the following is NOT offered?
5. In the last few pages of Chapter One, how long does Einstein say it takes for him to gain a world reputation?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the author, how is the relationship between Einstein and Mileva during and after their divorce?
2. What plan does Einstein think up to slow the flood of autograph requests?
3. Explain Einstein's view of the political climate in Germany at the beginning of Chapter Nine.
4. Why is Einstein so enthused to meet Dr. Albert Michelson in California?
5. Explain the approach Einstein wants the U.S. to take in regards to the atomic bomb after its creation.
6. Why does Einstein finally decide to settle in America?
7. Why is Hitler's persecution of Einstein as a Jew ironic? Explain.
8. Why are the Einsteins happier in California than on other trips? What is different?
9. Why does Einstein change his mind about granting the boy from the porch an interview?
10. Describe Mr. Einstein's appearance at the opening of the book.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Science is a constantly changing field, as new scientists expand and improve the work of those who come before them. Discuss at least three other scientific advances besides the atom bomb that Einstein's theory enables and the scientists who buils on his work.
Essay Topic 2
Imagine parenting Albert Einstein as a young child. Do his parents do a good job with him, or are they so far off the mark in understanding him that they parent badly? In what ways could they do things differently, or make greater efforts to understand him more completely? Be sure to use supporting material from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Einstein's relationship with Germany from his early days as a professor to his final days in America. How does the relationship change? How do the attitudes of the common people change? Is Einstein responsible in any way for his status, or is he purely a victim of circumstance?
This section contains 1,676 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)