|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his spare time from work at the patent office, what does Einstein invent?
2. How does Einstein feel about Mileva's ambitions?
3. Toward the end of Chapter Three, Albert tells his father that he wishes to attend what institution?
4. In the last few pages of Chapter One, how long does Einstein say it takes for him to gain a world reputation?
5. Einstein's theory explains what about the sun?
Short Essay Questions
1. With what group of critics does Einstein grow angry in Chapter Eight, and why?
2. What does the reader learn about Einstein's tastes, based on his reaction to the quarters on the ship reserves for him?
3. Why is Einstein's international fame surprising?
4. Why does Mileva decide not to move with her husband to Berlin?
5. According to the author, why does young Einstein not fit in at his school?
6. What does Einstein's behavior after Elsa's death in Chapter Thirteen tell the reader about him? Is he insensitive?
7. In Chapter Two, Pauline Einstein thinks that Albert is ill and sends him to bed early. What brings about the change in Albert's appearance, and why does his mother mistake it for illness?
8. In what ways is Elsa just what Einstein needs? Explain.
9. Describe Einstein's attempts to help those less fortunate refugees in Chapter Thirteen.
10. Explain Einstein's view, as stated in Chapter Seven, on how scientists should behave in the global community.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick an Einstein quote that sums up his character and discuss in detail why that particular quote says all that needs to be said about him. The selected quote should speak to at least three different aspects of his character.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the ways in which Einstein's experiences at the Polytechnic School form who he is for the rest of his life. What impact do his friends have? What impact does Mileva have? If the school is structured differently, does Einstein become a different person? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Imagine parenting Albert Einstein as a young child. Do his parents do a good job with him, or are they so far off the mark in understanding him that they parent badly? In what ways could they do things differently, or make greater efforts to understand him more completely? Be sure to use supporting material from the text.
This section contains 1,745 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)