|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Hermann annoyed when the family sits down to dinner in Chapter Two?
2. Based on Einstein's work, scientists follow clues on atomic energy and eventually learn how to do what?
3. Albert's nursery governess says what about her experience taking the children to the park?
4. After he becomes a Swiss citizen, Einstein is able to secure a government job in what field?
5. How does Einstein feel about Mileva's ambitions?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hermann Einstein say that an education is so important? He mentions that "a Jew needs one to get along nowadays." To what situation is Hermann referring?
2. Describe young Albert Einstein's feelings about school.
3. Why is Einstein asked not to return to the Luitpold Gymnasium?
4. Why does Einstein get along better with his peers at the University than he does with his schoolmates previously?
5. Based on Einstein's dialogue with community members, what type of person does he seem to be in Chapter One?
6. Why is young Einstein disgusted with his music teacher? Explain.
7. In Chapter Two, Pauline Einstein thinks that Albert is ill and sends him to bed early. What brings about the change in Albert's appearance, and why does his mother mistake it for illness?
8. Why is the job at the Patent Office a good position for Einstein? Explain.
9. Why is Einstein sometimes called the Newton of the twentieth century?
10. Describe Einstein's parents, Pauline and Hermann. What type of parents are they?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Einstein feel about his legacy as a scientist? Given all that comes from his work, is he pleased with his contribution to the world or dismayed by it? Use material from the book and knowledge of his character to support either assertion and discuss in detail Einstein's feelings about the modern applications of his theory.
Essay Topic 2
Albert Einstein is a problem student. Is he too lazy to learn, or does his school system fail him? Use supporting material from the text and discuss in detail the challenge of teaching Einstein. What other great scholars or artists are difficult students?
Essay Topic 3
Science is a constantly changing field, as new scientists expand and improve the work of those who come before them. Discuss at least three other scientific advances besides the atom bomb that Einstein's theory enables and the scientists who buils on his work.
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)