|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes Einstein's second wife?
2. At the opening of the book, what is the name of the street on which Einstein is walking?
3. When finally able to test the theory, researchers discover what about Einstein's work?
4. What does Einstein say he thinks is the result of seeing the charm on his father's watch?
5. What is the result of the total eclipse expeditions in Chapter Seven?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter Two, Pauline Einstein thinks that Albert is ill and sends him to bed early. What brings about the change in Albert's appearance, and why does his mother mistake it for illness?
2. What does the reader learn about Albert from his questions about his father's compass?
3. Describe Pauline Einstein. What kind of woman is she?
4. Describe Einstein's parents, Pauline and Hermann. What type of parents are they?
5. Why is the job at the Patent Office a good position for Einstein? Explain.
6. Why does Mileva decide not to move with her husband to Berlin?
7. Why does the author specifically mention that Einstein answers the strange boy on the porch in German?
8. Why is Einstein asked not to return to the Luitpold Gymnasium?
9. Why is young Einstein disgusted with his music teacher? Explain.
10. Based on Einstein's dialogue with community members, what type of person does he seem to be in Chapter One?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Albert Einstein is a problem student. Is he too lazy to learn, or does his school system fail him? Use supporting material from the text and discuss in detail the challenge of teaching Einstein. What other great scholars or artists are difficult students?
Essay Topic 2
What kind of woman is Mileva Maritsch? Does the author present her fairly? Compare and contrast the author's portrait of Mileva with your own research. In what ways are the accounts of her similar, and in what ways do they differ?
Essay Topic 3
How does Einstein feel about his legacy as a scientist? Given all that comes from his work, is he pleased with his contribution to the world or dismayed by it? Use material from the book and knowledge of his character to support either assertion and discuss in detail Einstein's feelings about the modern applications of his theory.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)