|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many students attend Einstein's first few lectures at the university in Chapter Six?
2. The reader learns that Einstein helps a girl understand a math question. How is she going to repay him for his help?
3. What is Einstein's attitude toward politics during Chapter Seven?
4. Einstein mentions that his father shows him a charm on a watch chain when he is about five. What is the charm?
5. During dinner in Chapter Two, why is Mrs. Einstein impatient for the children to get finished with dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the author, why does young Einstein not fit in at his school?
2. In what ways is Elsa just what Einstein needs? Explain.
3. Describe Mileva Maritsch.
4. What is interesting about Einstein's approach to the customary visits usually undertaken by new staff members? What is the result of his decision?
5. Why does Einstein change his mind about granting the boy from the porch an interview?
6. Why does Hermann Einstein say that an education is so important? He mentions that "a Jew needs one to get along nowadays." To what situation is Hermann referring?
7. Why is Einstein sometimes called the Newton of the twentieth century?
8. Why does Einstein get along better with his peers at the University than he does with his schoolmates previously?
9. Why does Mileva decide not to move with her husband to Berlin?
10. Why do Michelson and Morley assume that their experiments are a failure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the different schools Einstein attends and discuss why those schools are helpful or harmful to Einstein as he matures. What effect do the various types of instruction have on his personality and on his teaching career later in life?
Essay Topic 2
Science is a constantly changing field, as new scientists expand and improve the work of those who come before them. Discuss at least three other scientific advances besides the atom bomb that Einstein's theory enables and the scientists who buils on his work.
Essay Topic 3
Not all of the results of Einstein's work are negative in the way that the atomic bomb is negative. Discuss three modern-day uses either related to or directly stemming from Einstein's work and possible future applications. Be sure to illustrate the relationship between Einstein's theory and modern theory clearly.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)