|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author says that Albert and Maja resemble each other strongly except for one feature. What is different about the children?
2. Toward the end of Chapter Seven, Einstein's theory is finally ______.
3. The boy Miss Dukas leaves on the porch mentions to Einstein that his family all die in concentration camps, and that he is from what city?
4. How does Einstein feel about Mileva's ambitions?
5. The reader learns that Einstein helps a girl understand a math question. How is she going to repay him for his help?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the author, why does young Einstein not fit in at his school?
2. Why does Einstein get along better with his peers at the University than he does with his schoolmates previously?
3. Describe Einstein's parents, Pauline and Hermann. What type of parents are they?
4. What does the reader learn about Albert from his questions about his father's compass?
5. The author states that relativity is not new, and she uses a train as an example. Explain this example. Why does the author use this example?
6. According to the author, how is the relationship between Einstein and Mileva during and after their divorce?
7. Why does the author specifically mention that Einstein answers the strange boy on the porch in German?
8. What is interesting about Einstein's approach to the customary visits usually undertaken by new staff members? What is the result of his decision?
9. Describe Mileva Maritsch.
10. Why do Michelson and Morley assume that their experiments are a failure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Einstein builds on Newton's ideas. Pick one modern-day scientist who makes a career of building on Einstein's ideas, and discuss the ways in which Einstein's theories are updated from the 20th to the 21st century.
Essay Topic 2
Max Planck and Einstein have an interesting professional relationship that changes and evolves over the years. Planck is an important figure in Einstein's life. Discuss the different stages of their relationship and the reasons it changes.
Essay Topic 3
Imagine parenting Albert Einstein as a young child. Do his parents do a good job with him, or are they so far off the mark in understanding him that they parent badly? In what ways could they do things differently, or make greater efforts to understand him more completely? Be sure to use supporting material from the text.
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)