|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mileva decides to add to the household income by supplementing her husband's university job with income from what?
2. When Einstein graduates from the University of Zurich, what degree is he awarded?
3. Toward the end of Chapter Three, Albert tells his father that he wishes to attend what institution?
4. What reason does the author mention for why Mileva is unhappy in her marriage?
5. Einstein moves his family into a small apartment to save money, and the children wake up covered in bites. What is biting them?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter Two, Pauline Einstein thinks that Albert is ill and sends him to bed early. What brings about the change in Albert's appearance, and why does his mother mistake it for illness?
2. Describe Pauline Einstein. What kind of woman is she?
3. Why does Einstein change his mind about granting the boy from the porch an interview?
4. Do the townspeople respect Einstein at the beginning of the book?
5. Why is Einstein asked not to return to the Luitpold Gymnasium?
6. Why is young Einstein disgusted with his music teacher? Explain.
7. In what ways is Elsa just what Einstein needs? Explain.
8. Why is Einstein sometimes called the Newton of the twentieth century?
9. Why does Einstein not enjoy giving interviews?
10. What does Einstein's theory of relativity have to do with Michelson and Morley's experiment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Given today's standards of what a father should be, is Einstein a success or a failure as a parent? Is he a combination of both? The author does not state how often Einstein sees his children after his divorce from Mileva; given his previous parental behavior, what level of involvement can the reader surmise he has in raising the children after the divorce?
Essay Topic 2
Max Planck and Einstein have an interesting professional relationship that changes and evolves over the years. Planck is an important figure in Einstein's life. Discuss the different stages of their relationship and the reasons it changes.
Essay Topic 3
Albert Einstein is a pacifist. Using supporting material from the book, explain his world view and how it evolves over the course of his life. What are the factors that initially influence him to become a pacifist, and why does he eventually abandon the notion? How does his pacifism affect his scientific career?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)