|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When asked if the new Mrs. Einstein understands the theory of relativity, how does Einstein respond?
2. The boy Miss Dukas leaves on the porch mentions to Einstein that his family all die in concentration camps, and that he is from what city?
3. What types of questions does Albert think about when he visits the church on his way home from school?
4. Einstein's work, and the work of scientists after him, eventually lead to the creation of what?
5. After he becomes a Swiss citizen, Einstein is able to secure a government job in what field?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is young Einstein disgusted with his music teacher? Explain.
2. What does the reader learn about Albert from his questions about his father's compass?
3. Describe Mr. Einstein's appearance at the opening of the book.
4. Why is the job at the Patent Office a good position for Einstein? Explain.
5. Describe Mileva Maritsch's frustrations with her marriage to Einstein. Is it Einstein with whom she is displeased, or something else?
6. As Einstein starts receiving professorships, why is Mileva still frustrated with their financial situation?
7. According to the author, why does young Einstein not fit in at his school?
8. Why does Einstein change his mind about granting the boy from the porch an interview?
9. Why does Einstein get along better with his peers at the University than he does with his schoolmates previously?
10. Why does Mileva decide not to move with her husband to Berlin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick an Einstein quote that sums up his character and discuss in detail why that particular quote says all that needs to be said about him. The selected quote should speak to at least three different aspects of his character.
Essay Topic 2
Albert Einstein is a problem student. Is he too lazy to learn, or does his school system fail him? Use supporting material from the text and discuss in detail the challenge of teaching Einstein. What other great scholars or artists are difficult students?
Essay Topic 3
Given the effects of his work, is Einstein a hero or a villain? Support either assertion with examples of people with similar strengths or weaknesses.
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)