|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Four, Mileva is disgusted with the Kaiser because he says women should be concerned only with what?
2. During Chapter Six, in which of the following cities do Einstein and his family NOT live?
3. In his spare time from work at the patent office, what does Einstein invent?
4. Albert's nursery governess says what about her experience taking the children to the park?
5. Why is Hermann Einstein pleased when his son displays interest in the pocket watch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe young Albert Einstein's feelings about school.
2. What does Einstein's theory of relativity have to do with Michelson and Morley's experiment?
3. Why is the job at the Patent Office a good position for Einstein? Explain.
4. Why does Einstein not enjoy giving interviews?
5. Why is Einstein asked not to return to the Luitpold Gymnasium?
6. Why does the author specifically mention that Einstein answers the strange boy on the porch in German?
7. What is interesting about Einstein's approach to the customary visits usually undertaken by new staff members? What is the result of his decision?
8. Describe Einstein's parents, Pauline and Hermann. What type of parents are they?
9. Why do Michelson and Morley assume that their experiments are a failure?
10. As Einstein starts receiving professorships, why is Mileva still frustrated with their financial situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Einstein builds on Newton's ideas. Pick one modern-day scientist who makes a career of building on Einstein's ideas, and discuss the ways in which Einstein's theories are updated from the 20th to the 21st century.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the different schools Einstein attends and discuss why those schools are helpful or harmful to Einstein as he matures. What effect do the various types of instruction have on his personality and on his teaching career later in life?
Essay Topic 3
Given today's standards of what a father should be, is Einstein a success or a failure as a parent? Is he a combination of both? The author does not state how often Einstein sees his children after his divorce from Mileva; given his previous parental behavior, what level of involvement can the reader surmise he has in raising the children after the divorce?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)