|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Hermann annoyed when the family sits down to dinner in Chapter Two?
2. Why is Albert glad that his uncle doesn't ask about his friends at school?
3. With what part of Einstein's job at the university is his wife dissatisfied in Chapter Six?
4. What solution does Uncle Jake propose for Albert's difficulties in school?
5. In Chapter Four, Einstein makes friends from other countries at his new school. What affect do their stories have on him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Einstein get along better with his peers at the University than he does with his schoolmates previously?
2. What is interesting about Einstein's approach to the customary visits usually undertaken by new staff members? What is the result of his decision?
3. As Einstein starts receiving professorships, why is Mileva still frustrated with their financial situation?
4. Describe Mileva Maritsch.
5. The author states that relativity is not new, and she uses a train as an example. Explain this example. Why does the author use this example?
6. Why is young Einstein disgusted with his music teacher? Explain.
7. According to the author, how is the relationship between Einstein and Mileva during and after their divorce?
8. What does the reader learn about Albert from his questions about his father's compass?
9. What does Einstein's theory of relativity have to do with Michelson and Morley's experiment?
10. Explain what happens to the group of German astronomers who plan to check Einstein's theory on light rays by observing a total eclipse.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Albert Einstein is a problem student. Is he too lazy to learn, or does his school system fail him? Use supporting material from the text and discuss in detail the challenge of teaching Einstein. What other great scholars or artists are difficult students?
Essay Topic 2
Albert Einstein is a pacifist. Using supporting material from the book, explain his world view and how it evolves over the course of his life. What are the factors that initially influence him to become a pacifist, and why does he eventually abandon the notion? How does his pacifism affect his scientific career?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the different schools Einstein attends and discuss why those schools are helpful or harmful to Einstein as he matures. What effect do the various types of instruction have on his personality and on his teaching career later in life?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)