|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many students attend Einstein's first few lectures at the university in Chapter Six?
2. With what part of Einstein's job at the university is his wife dissatisfied in Chapter Six?
3. When Einstein graduates from the University of Zurich, what degree is he awarded?
4. As the war drags on, scientists in which country are planning to test Einstein's theory on the total eclipse?
5. In Chapter Four, Einstein makes friends from other countries at his new school. What affect do their stories have on him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mr. Einstein's appearance at the opening of the book.
2. Why is the job at the Patent Office a good position for Einstein? Explain.
3. Why is Einstein asked not to return to the Luitpold Gymnasium?
4. Why does Einstein not enjoy giving interviews?
5. Why do Michelson and Morley assume that their experiments are a failure?
6. Why is Einstein sometimes called the Newton of the twentieth century?
7. The author states that relativity is not new, and she uses a train as an example. Explain this example. Why does the author use this example?
8. What does the reader learn about Albert from his questions about his father's compass?
9. Why does Mileva decide not to move with her husband to Berlin?
10. Describe Pauline Einstein. What kind of woman is she?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Einstein feel about his legacy as a scientist? Given all that comes from his work, is he pleased with his contribution to the world or dismayed by it? Use material from the book and knowledge of his character to support either assertion and discuss in detail Einstein's feelings about the modern applications of his theory.
Essay Topic 2
Albert Einstein is a pacifist. Using supporting material from the book, explain his world view and how it evolves over the course of his life. What are the factors that initially influence him to become a pacifist, and why does he eventually abandon the notion? How does his pacifism affect his scientific career?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Einstein's changing relationship with his religion, from his attitude toward it as a child through young adulthood and finally to old age. In what ways does religion influence him through his life, if at all? How does he reconcile faith with science?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)