|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mrs. Einstein is frightened and alarmed when she hears what report in Chapter Twelve?
(a) Their home in Germany is claimed by the government.
(b) Her children are still in Germany.
(c) That people think Einstein is Communist.
(d) Nazis offer money for Einstein to be assassinated.
2. Einstein is worried toward the end of Chapter Ten because he learns that it is not safe to do what in Marseilles, France?
(a) Speak German.
(b) Appear American.
(c) Work in schools.
(d) Go for a walk.
3. As Chapter Twelve ends, the Einsteins are once again headed for what country?
4. Einstein resigns from the Commission for the Co-operation of Intellectuals after a year because he realizes what about the organization?
(a) They are only interesting in the smaller countries.
(b) They are only interested in helping the powerful members.
(c) They are only interested in stopping Communism.
(d) They are only interested in making money.
5. What does Einstein do after his retirement in Chapter Fourteen?
(a) Sleeps a lot.
(b) Visits friends.
(c) Travels around the world.
(d) Continues figuring out new theories.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sad event happens to the Einstein family during Chapter Thirteen?
2. After Einstein becomes famous, the visitors coming to the house want a variety of things. Which of the following is NOT one of their demands?
3. Which of the following does the author NOT mention as current possible benefits of atomic power?
4. Einstein's peers feel he has what attitude toward his country during Chapter Nine?
5. During the tour of Japan, Einstein's guide says that Einstein offends Japanese people. How?
Short Essay Questions
1. Einstein asks an American diplomat why the U.S. does not try to end Japan's aggressions in China with a boycott. Explain the diplomat's response and Einstein's feelings about the response.
2. Einstein brings national attention to Germany, so it seems logical that Hitler celebrates Einstein's success. This is not the case. Why?
3. Why does Einstein finally decide to settle in America?
4. Explain why Einstein, a former pacifist, agrees to speak to President Roosevelt about the creation of an atomic bomb.
5. Why are the Einsteins happier in California than on other trips? What is different?
6. Why is Einstein so enthused to meet Dr. Albert Michelson in California?
7. Why is Einstein no longer a pacifist in Chapter Fourteen?
8. What plan does Einstein think up to slow the flood of autograph requests?
9. Explain Einstein's worries about the German Republic and his disturbing revelation in Marseilles.
10. What does Einstein's behavior after Elsa's death in Chapter Thirteen tell the reader about him? Is he insensitive?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)