|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Einstein always tries to help others. In what way does he try to help most in Chapter Thirteen?
(a) Giving scholarships to good students.
(b) Getting refugees out of Europe.
(c) Donating to the war effort.
(d) Rebuilding neighborhood homes.
2. After Einstein's meeting with the German consul, one of the staff says what about Einstein's decision not to return to Germany?
(a) It is a foolish decision.
(b) It is a wise decision.
(c) He is being selfish.
(d) He is worried about nothing.
3. The Einsteins leave the children at home in Chapter Nine in order to take a trip through what region?
(a) The United States.
(b) The Orient.
(c) The Balkans.
(d) The Middle East.
4. The author states that several French physicists give Einstein a cold reception in Chapter Eight. What reason does the author give for this?
(a) His inability to speak French.
(b) His crazy theories.
(c) His German birth.
(d) His unkempt appearance.
5. After Einstein becomes famous, the visitors coming to the house want a variety of things. Which of the following is NOT one of their demands?
(a) That he grants an interview.
(b) That he gives an autograph.
(c) That he listens to theory/invention proposals.
(d) That he takes a better job.
Short Answer Questions
1. What universities does Einstein NOT visit on his trip in Chapter Eight?
2. One of the people who attends Einstein's lecture in Paris is _____.
3. In Chapter Fourteen, some of Einstein's colleagues ask him to set up a meeting with ________ to discuss their work on the atom bomb.
4. As the Einsteins prepare to return to California in 1932, Dr. Einstein tells his wife to take a long look at their house. Why?
5. Who comes to live with Einstein early in Chapter Fourteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Einstein asks an American diplomat why the U.S. does not try to end Japan's aggressions in China with a boycott. Explain the diplomat's response and Einstein's feelings about the response.
2. Explain the approach Einstein wants the U.S. to take in regards to the atomic bomb after its creation.
3. Einstein brings national attention to Germany, so it seems logical that Hitler celebrates Einstein's success. This is not the case. Why?
4. Explain Einstein's view of the political climate in Germany at the beginning of Chapter Nine.
5. Why does Einstein finally decide to settle in America?
6. Elsa Einstein says that it is difficult to be married to Albert Einstein. Does this seem likely? Why is it difficult?
7. What plan does Einstein think up to slow the flood of autograph requests?
8. What reason does Einstein give for wishing to cooperate particularly with American scientists?
9. Explain Einstein's worries about the German Republic and his disturbing revelation in Marseilles.
10. Describe Einstein's attempts to help those less fortunate refugees in Chapter Thirteen.
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)