|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sad event happens to the Einstein family during Chapter Thirteen?
(a) Maja dies.
(b) Elsa dies.
(c) Hermann dies.
(d) Ilse dies.
2. Einstein always tries to help others. In what way does he try to help most in Chapter Thirteen?
(a) Giving scholarships to good students.
(b) Getting refugees out of Europe.
(c) Donating to the war effort.
(d) Rebuilding neighborhood homes.
3. During his tour of America, Einstein is beginning to have grave concerns about what situation at home in Germany?
(a) Growing national debt.
(b) Growing militarism.
(c) Growing dropout rate.
(d) Growing poverty.
4. What is unusual about Einstein's recommendations for people to take a US hospital job?
(a) He recommends four people for the same position.
(b) He doesn't know the people he recommends.
(c) He refuses to recommend anyone.
(d) He recommends his daughter.
5. Toward the end of Chapter Thirteen, what happens to Elsa Einstein?
(a) She becomes very depressed.
(b) She becomes very ill.
(c) She is robbed while walking to the store.
(d) She decides to divorce her husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. What universities does Einstein NOT visit on his trip in Chapter Eight?
2. The author mentions three ways Einstein behaves toward all admirers. Which of the following is NOT mentioned?
3. Einstein gives a gift to the Hebrew University in Jerusalem in Chapter Thirteen. What is the gift?
4. What does Einstein do after his retirement in Chapter Fourteen?
5. Einstein resigns from the Commission for the Co-operation of Intellectuals after a year because he realizes what about the organization?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the Einsteins happier in California than on other trips? What is different?
2. Explain Einstein's worries about the German Republic and his disturbing revelation in Marseilles.
3. Describe the boat incident in Chapter Thirteen, and explain what the reader learns about Einstein from this story.
4. Einstein brings national attention to Germany, so it seems logical that Hitler celebrates Einstein's success. This is not the case. Why?
5. Why do some Berlin scientists imply that Einstein is a traitor to his country?
6. Explain why the author calls Einstein a false prophet at the beginning of Chapter Eight.
7. Explain Einstein's view of the political climate in Germany at the beginning of Chapter Nine.
8. Describe Einstein's attempts to help those less fortunate refugees in Chapter Thirteen.
9. With what group of critics does Einstein grow angry in Chapter Eight, and why?
10. Einstein asks an American diplomat why the U.S. does not try to end Japan's aggressions in China with a boycott. Explain the diplomat's response and Einstein's feelings about the response.
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)