|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During Chapter Nine, how does Mrs. Einstein begin to feel about their fame?
(a) She doesn't wish to return home to their former life.
(b) She is concerned about how it affects her children.
(c) She is growing frustrated with it all.
(d) She is happier than ever.
2. The author mentions three ways Einstein behaves toward all admirers. Which of the following is NOT mentioned?
(a) He wins people with warmth and sincerity.
(b) He never tries to impress anyone.
(c) He is always himself.
(d) He speaks only to those he considers as smart as himself.
3. Who is present when Einstein dies at the end of Chapter Fourteen?
(a) Night nurse.
4. Why does Einstein decide not to accept the offered professorship in Jerusalem after leaving Germany?
(a) He thinks Hitler might invade Jerusalem.
(b) Younger, less famous scientist refugees need jobs there.
(c) His wife is not able to tolerate the climate.
(d) He doesn't like the University.
5. Einstein learns he is awarded what distinction at the end of Chapter Nine?
(a) International Leadership Award.
(b) National Medal of Science.
(c) Nobel Prize.
(d) MacArthur Genius Award.
Short Answer Questions
1. Einstein receives several gifts as he prepares to leave the US. What is his attitude toward these gifts?
2. Einstein doesn't usually enjoy movies, but he does appreciate the one he attends as a guest of which movie star in Chapter Eleven?
3. Einstein always tries to help others. In what way does he try to help most in Chapter Thirteen?
4. One of the people who attends Einstein's lecture in Paris is _____.
5. What does Einstein do after his retirement in Chapter Fourteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Einstein asks an American diplomat why the U.S. does not try to end Japan's aggressions in China with a boycott. Explain the diplomat's response and Einstein's feelings about the response.
2. Why do some Berlin scientists imply that Einstein is a traitor to his country?
3. Why is Einstein no longer a pacifist in Chapter Fourteen?
4. Describe Einstein's attempts to help those less fortunate refugees in Chapter Thirteen.
5. With what group of critics does Einstein grow angry in Chapter Eight, and why?
6. What reason does Einstein give for wishing to cooperate particularly with American scientists?
7. The Holocaust is not underway when Einstein elects not to return to Germany. Why does he decide to stay away from his homeland?
8. Explain why the author calls Einstein a false prophet at the beginning of Chapter Eight.
9. Explain why Einstein, a former pacifist, agrees to speak to President Roosevelt about the creation of an atomic bomb.
10. Einstein wins a Nobel Prize for physics in 1922, but not for his theory on relativity. For what work is he given the Nobel, and why is relativity not included?
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)