|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What universities does Einstein NOT visit on his trip in Chapter Eight?
(b) Cal Tech.
2. What does Einstein do after his retirement in Chapter Fourteen?
(a) Visits friends.
(b) Sleeps a lot.
(c) Continues figuring out new theories.
(d) Travels around the world.
3. Why does Einstein decide not to accept the offered professorship in Jerusalem after leaving Germany?
(a) He doesn't like the University.
(b) He thinks Hitler might invade Jerusalem.
(c) His wife is not able to tolerate the climate.
(d) Younger, less famous scientist refugees need jobs there.
4. What is Einstein's favorite part about the job at the new university as Chapter Thirteen begins?
(a) It is informal.
(b) He has a better house.
(c) It is a bigger school.
(d) He makes more money.
5. Bertrand Russell comments that "Everybody knows that Einstein does something astonishing...".
(a) "and the whole world knows exactly what he does."
(b) "and we eagerly await his next invention."
(c) "but very few people know exactly what it is that he does."
(d) "but no one thinks it is important."
Short Answer Questions
1. Einstein resigns from the Commission for the Co-operation of Intellectuals after a year because he realizes what about the organization?
2. Einstein learns he is awarded what distinction at the end of Chapter Nine?
3. At the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, Einstein finally resumes his research on what?
4. Though he has enemies in political circles, why os Einstein is happy during Chapter Nine?
5. Which of the following does the author NOT mention as current possible benefits of atomic power?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do some Berlin scientists imply that Einstein is a traitor to his country?
2. Explain Einstein's worries about the German Republic and his disturbing revelation in Marseilles.
3. Explain why the author calls Einstein a false prophet at the beginning of Chapter Eight.
4. Einstein asks an American diplomat why the U.S. does not try to end Japan's aggressions in China with a boycott. Explain the diplomat's response and Einstein's feelings about the response.
5. Describe and explain Einstein's answer to the reporter who asks about the political climate in Germany. Why is Einstein so careful in answering?
6. The Holocaust is not underway when Einstein elects not to return to Germany. Why does he decide to stay away from his homeland?
7. Why does Einstein finally decide to settle in America?
8. Explain the approach Einstein wants the U.S. to take in regards to the atomic bomb after its creation.
9. Describe Einstein's attempts to help those less fortunate refugees in Chapter Thirteen.
10. What does Einstein's behavior after Elsa's death in Chapter Thirteen tell the reader about him? Is he insensitive?
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)