|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mrs. Einstein is frightened and alarmed when she hears what report in Chapter Twelve?
(a) Her children are still in Germany.
(b) Nazis offer money for Einstein to be assassinated.
(c) Their home in Germany is claimed by the government.
(d) That people think Einstein is Communist.
2. Hitler claims that all BUT WHICH group causes Germany to lose World War I?
3. A major event takes place in Einstein's family in Chapter Ten. What is it?
(a) Margot gets married.
(b) Hermann loses his job.
(c) Elsa becomes ill.
(d) Pauline dies.
4. Once the atomic bomb is built and tested, how does Einstein recommend the US proceed?
(a) Warn enemy nations of the bomb's potential.
(b) Bomb one or two enemy nations.
(c) Never use the bomb.
(d) Use the bomb on any nation with which the US disagrees.
5. During the racial purge of German Universities, which of the following groups are NOT fired?
(a) Those married to Jewish women.
(d) Older professors.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author mentions three ways Einstein behaves toward all admirers. Which of the following is NOT mentioned?
2. To which country do the Einsteins move after leaving America?
3. Why is Einstein disgusted with his quarters on the ship for America?
4. Einstein adopts a terrier pup in Chapter Fourteen. What is the name of the dog?
5. Einstein mentions during the Berlin gift nonsense that it "becomes an excuse for many people for the best thing there is in life:________".
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe and explain Einstein's answer to the reporter who asks about the political climate in Germany. Why is Einstein so careful in answering?
2. What does the reader learn about Einstein's tastes, based on his reaction to the quarters on the ship reserves for him?
3. Explain why some Japanese are insulted when Einstein speaks in that country.
4. Explain Einstein's worries about the German Republic and his disturbing revelation in Marseilles.
5. What does Einstein's behavior after Elsa's death in Chapter Thirteen tell the reader about him? Is he insensitive?
6. Explain why Einstein, a former pacifist, agrees to speak to President Roosevelt about the creation of an atomic bomb.
7. Why are the Einsteins happier in California than on other trips? What is different?
8. Why do some Berlin scientists imply that Einstein is a traitor to his country?
9. What plan does Einstein think up to slow the flood of autograph requests?
10. Explain the approach Einstein wants the U.S. to take in regards to the atomic bomb after its creation.
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)