|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author states that several French physicists give Einstein a cold reception in Chapter Eight. What reason does the author give for this?
(a) His inability to speak French.
(b) His crazy theories.
(c) His unkempt appearance.
(d) His German birth.
2. Who is present when Einstein dies at the end of Chapter Fourteen?
(c) Night nurse.
3. Mrs. Einstein is frightened and alarmed when she hears what report in Chapter Twelve?
(a) Her children are still in Germany.
(b) Their home in Germany is claimed by the government.
(c) That people think Einstein is Communist.
(d) Nazis offer money for Einstein to be assassinated.
4. Besides the honor of the award in Chapter Ten, Einstein also receives what?
(a) New professorship.
(b) Research grant.
(c) Forty thousand dollars.
(d) International acclaim.
5. What is Mrs. Einstein's role in her husband's new fame?
(a) She plays hostess to all their visitors.
(b) She dislikes the whole mess and usually stays in her room.
(c) She tries to keep visitors and letters manageable.
(d) She is disgusted that he is not more interested in his fans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elsa say about her memory of Einstein as a young boy?
2. One of the people who attends Einstein's lecture in Paris is _____.
3. The President of Columbia University, in his introduction, says that Dr. Einstein gives the world...?
4. Toward the end of Chapter Thirteen, what happens to Elsa Einstein?
5. Einstein gives a gift to the Hebrew University in Jerusalem in Chapter Thirteen. What is the gift?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Einstein's view of the political climate in Germany at the beginning of Chapter Nine.
2. Explain Einstein's worries about the German Republic and his disturbing revelation in Marseilles.
3. What plan does Einstein think up to slow the flood of autograph requests?
4. Why are the Einsteins happier in California than on other trips? What is different?
5. Einstein brings national attention to Germany, so it seems logical that Hitler celebrates Einstein's success. This is not the case. Why?
6. Describe Einstein's attempts to help those less fortunate refugees in Chapter Thirteen.
7. The Holocaust is not underway when Einstein elects not to return to Germany. Why does he decide to stay away from his homeland?
8. What does the reader learn about Einstein's tastes, based on his reaction to the quarters on the ship reserves for him?
9. Why is Einstein no longer a pacifist in Chapter Fourteen?
10. Explain why Einstein, a former pacifist, agrees to speak to President Roosevelt about the creation of an atomic bomb.
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)