|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author mentions three ways Einstein behaves toward all admirers. Which of the following is NOT mentioned?
(a) He is always himself.
(b) He wins people with warmth and sincerity.
(c) He never tries to impress anyone.
(d) He speaks only to those he considers as smart as himself.
2. During Chapter Eight, Einstein tells his wife to pack as he intends to travel to which country?
3. Who comes to live with Einstein early in Chapter Fourteen?
4. During the tour of Japan, Einstein's guide says that Einstein offends Japanese people. How?
(a) His lecture does not last four hours like the first.
(b) He does not greet the mayor appropriately.
(c) He does not bother to learn Japanese.
(d) He does not put on a clean coat for the lecture.
5. After Einstein's meeting with the German consul, one of the staff says what about Einstein's decision not to return to Germany?
(a) It is a wise decision.
(b) He is worried about nothing.
(c) He is being selfish.
(d) It is a foolish decision.
Short Answer Questions
1. The President of Columbia University, in his introduction, says that Dr. Einstein gives the world...?
2. Einstein always tries to help others. In what way does he try to help most in Chapter Thirteen?
3. In what year does Einstein die?
4. What is Einstein's position on pacifism as he ages and as tension once again rises in Europe?
5. During the racial purge of German Universities, which of the following groups are NOT fired?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Hitler's persecution of Einstein as a Jew ironic? Explain.
2. What does the reader learn about Einstein's tastes, based on his reaction to the quarters on the ship reserves for him?
3. Einstein asks an American diplomat why the U.S. does not try to end Japan's aggressions in China with a boycott. Explain the diplomat's response and Einstein's feelings about the response.
4. Why is Einstein happier at Princeton University than he is at previous appointments?
5. Why does Einstein finally decide to settle in America?
6. Describe the boat incident in Chapter Thirteen, and explain what the reader learns about Einstein from this story.
7. What does Einstein's behavior after Elsa's death in Chapter Thirteen tell the reader about him? Is he insensitive?
8. What reason does Einstein give for wishing to cooperate particularly with American scientists?
9. What plan does Einstein think up to slow the flood of autograph requests?
10. Why is Einstein so enthused to meet Dr. Albert Michelson in California?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)