|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Einstein's assistant, Infeld, unable to answer a reporter's question on what Einstein thinks of the book they co-write?
(a) Einstein never opens the book.
(b) Infeld doesn't speak English.
(c) Infeld doesn't have time to answer the question.
(d) Einstein doesn't like it, and Infeld doesn't want to say that.
2. Why does Einstein agree to write to the President to discuss the atomic bomb?
(a) He knows the Nazis eventually build an atom bomb.
(b) He doesn't think it can be done anyway.
(c) He can't refuse to help his friends.
(d) He hopes to be rewarded by the President.
3. In Hitler's eyes, Einstein is guilty because he is all BUT WHICH of the following?
(a) A scientist.
(b) A pacifist.
(c) An internationalist.
(d) A Jew.
4. Einstein returns to work at the end of Chapter Thirteen. Why is this unusual?
(a) It is the holidays.
(b) His wife dies a few days earlier.
(c) He has no work to do.
(d) He is no longer being paid.
5. The author states that several French physicists give Einstein a cold reception in Chapter Eight. What reason does the author give for this?
(a) His crazy theories.
(b) His German birth.
(c) His unkempt appearance.
(d) His inability to speak French.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what aspect of New York is Einstein frustrated?
2. Hitler turns on the Jews first because he is not yet ready for war. He intends to wage war on all BUT WHICH of the following countries?
3. Why does Einstein decide not to accept the offered professorship in Jerusalem after leaving Germany?
4. How does the new prestige of the award from Chapter Ten affect Einstein's behavior?
5. What is Mrs. Einstein's role in her husband's new fame?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the reader learn about Einstein's tastes, based on his reaction to the quarters on the ship reserves for him?
2. What reason does Einstein give for wishing to cooperate particularly with American scientists?
3. Explain the approach Einstein wants the U.S. to take in regards to the atomic bomb after its creation.
4. Describe Einstein's attempts to help those less fortunate refugees in Chapter Thirteen.
5. Why is Einstein's international fame surprising?
6. Why is Einstein happier at Princeton University than he is at previous appointments?
7. Describe and explain Einstein's answer to the reporter who asks about the political climate in Germany. Why is Einstein so careful in answering?
8. Explain why the author calls Einstein a false prophet at the beginning of Chapter Eight.
9. Elsa Einstein says that it is difficult to be married to Albert Einstein. Does this seem likely? Why is it difficult?
10. Einstein asks an American diplomat why the U.S. does not try to end Japan's aggressions in China with a boycott. Explain the diplomat's response and Einstein's feelings about the response.
This section contains 1,142 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)