|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Einstein mentions during the Berlin gift nonsense that it "becomes an excuse for many people for the best thing there is in life:________".
(a) "I mean money."
(b) "I mean debate."
(c) "I mean a laugh."
(d) "I mean entertainment."
2. Why is Einstein's assistant, Infeld, unable to answer a reporter's question on what Einstein thinks of the book they co-write?
(a) Einstein never opens the book.
(b) Einstein doesn't like it, and Infeld doesn't want to say that.
(c) Infeld doesn't have time to answer the question.
(d) Infeld doesn't speak English.
3. Einstein decides in Chapter Twelve that he sends a letter of resignation to the Academy at Berlin. What is the response?
(a) They see it as proof that Einstein is a Communist.
(b) They are saddened that he feels resignation necessary.
(c) They do not regret his resignation.
(d) They do not respond at all.
4. Though he has enemies in political circles, why os Einstein is happy during Chapter Nine?
(a) Common people still love him.
(b) World leaders appreciate his work.
(c) He feels sure it ends soon.
(d) He doesn't care about politics.
5. Einstein learns he is awarded what distinction at the end of Chapter Nine?
(a) International Leadership Award.
(b) National Medal of Science.
(c) Nobel Prize.
(d) MacArthur Genius Award.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elsa say about her memory of Einstein as a young boy?
2. Who is present when Einstein dies at the end of Chapter Fourteen?
3. During Chapter Nine, how does Mrs. Einstein begin to feel about their fame?
4. Bertrand Russell comments that "Everybody knows that Einstein does something astonishing...".
5. Hitler claims that all BUT WHICH group causes Germany to lose World War I?
Short Essay Questions
1. What plan does Einstein think up to slow the flood of autograph requests?
2. Why is Hitler's persecution of Einstein as a Jew ironic? Explain.
3. Einstein brings national attention to Germany, so it seems logical that Hitler celebrates Einstein's success. This is not the case. Why?
4. With what group of critics does Einstein grow angry in Chapter Eight, and why?
5. Why does Einstein finally decide to settle in America?
6. The Holocaust is not underway when Einstein elects not to return to Germany. Why does he decide to stay away from his homeland?
7. Why is Einstein so enthused to meet Dr. Albert Michelson in California?
8. Describe Einstein's attempts to help those less fortunate refugees in Chapter Thirteen.
9. Einstein asks an American diplomat why the U.S. does not try to end Japan's aggressions in China with a boycott. Explain the diplomat's response and Einstein's feelings about the response.
10. Explain Einstein's worries about the German Republic and his disturbing revelation in Marseilles.
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)