|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Elsa Einstein notes in an interview that "To be the wife of this man..."
(a) "is a huge nuisance."
(b) "is very difficult."
(c) "is absolutely wonderful."
(d) "is very entertaining."
2. Why is Einstein's assistant, Infeld, unable to answer a reporter's question on what Einstein thinks of the book they co-write?
(a) Einstein never opens the book.
(b) Infeld doesn't speak English.
(c) Infeld doesn't have time to answer the question.
(d) Einstein doesn't like it, and Infeld doesn't want to say that.
3. With what aspect of New York is Einstein frustrated?
(a) The museums are not as nice as he hopes.
(b) The people are not very friendly toward his wife.
(c) The food is terrible and he has an upset stomach the whole trip.
(d) He cannot go on sight-seeing trips without being recognized.
4. Hitler turns on the Jews first because he is not yet ready for war. He intends to wage war on all BUT WHICH of the following countries?
5. As Einstein grows older, he discovers that he enjoys a new hobby. What is it?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the new prestige of the award from Chapter Ten affect Einstein's behavior?
2. Toward the end of Chapter Thirteen, what happens to Elsa Einstein?
3. Einstein learns he is awarded what distinction at the end of Chapter Nine?
4. One of the people who attends Einstein's lecture in Paris is _____.
5. On the way home from the trip to Japan, Einstein cannot resist an invitation to visit what country?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Einstein's worries about the German Republic and his disturbing revelation in Marseilles.
2. The Holocaust is not underway when Einstein elects not to return to Germany. Why does he decide to stay away from his homeland?
3. Explain why some Japanese are insulted when Einstein speaks in that country.
4. Describe and explain Einstein's answer to the reporter who asks about the political climate in Germany. Why is Einstein so careful in answering?
5. Why is Elsa Einstein unhappy in Jerusalem? Explain.
6. Why is Einstein happier at Princeton University than he is at previous appointments?
7. Einstein brings national attention to Germany, so it seems logical that Hitler celebrates Einstein's success. This is not the case. Why?
8. Why do some Berlin scientists imply that Einstein is a traitor to his country?
9. With what group of critics does Einstein grow angry in Chapter Eight, and why?
10. Why is Hitler's persecution of Einstein as a Jew ironic? Explain.
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)