|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Chapter Twelve ends, the Einsteins are once again headed for what country?
2. Einstein gives a gift to the Hebrew University in Jerusalem in Chapter Thirteen. What is the gift?
(a) Everything in his estate.
(b) An enormous amount of money.
(c) The house he owns in Germany.
(d) His original manuscripts on the relativity theory.
3. Einstein learns he is awarded what distinction at the end of Chapter Nine?
(a) International Leadership Award.
(b) National Medal of Science.
(c) Nobel Prize.
(d) MacArthur Genius Award.
4. With what aspect of New York is Einstein frustrated?
(a) The museums are not as nice as he hopes.
(b) He cannot go on sight-seeing trips without being recognized.
(c) The food is terrible and he has an upset stomach the whole trip.
(d) The people are not very friendly toward his wife.
5. Some members of the city council in Berlin oppose giving Einstein a gift. In exasperation, Einstein does what?
(a) Makes a speech about the council.
(b) Tries to have the opposition fired.
(c) Refuses the gift.
(d) Moves to Munich.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Einstein's favorite part about the job at the new university as Chapter Thirteen begins?
2. Hitler claims that all BUT WHICH group causes Germany to lose World War I?
3. What is Einstein's attitude toward the murder of Walter Rathenau, Minister of Foreign Affairs, at the opening of Chapter Nine?
4. Einstein mentions during the Berlin gift nonsense that it "becomes an excuse for many people for the best thing there is in life:________".
5. Elsa Einstein notes in an interview that "To be the wife of this man..."
Short Essay Questions
1. What plan does Einstein think up to slow the flood of autograph requests?
2. Why is Einstein so enthused to meet Dr. Albert Michelson in California?
3. Explain Einstein's view of the political climate in Germany at the beginning of Chapter Nine.
4. Why is Hitler's persecution of Einstein as a Jew ironic? Explain.
5. What does Einstein's behavior after Elsa's death in Chapter Thirteen tell the reader about him? Is he insensitive?
6. Explain Einstein's worries about the German Republic and his disturbing revelation in Marseilles.
7. Einstein asks an American diplomat why the U.S. does not try to end Japan's aggressions in China with a boycott. Explain the diplomat's response and Einstein's feelings about the response.
8. Explain why the author calls Einstein a false prophet at the beginning of Chapter Eight.
9. Why is Elsa Einstein unhappy in Jerusalem? Explain.
10. Describe and explain Einstein's answer to the reporter who asks about the political climate in Germany. Why is Einstein so careful in answering?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)