|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The President of Columbia University, in his introduction, says that Dr. Einstein gives the world...?
(a) "a grand new future."
(b) "a way to build weapons."
(c) "an intellectual lighthouse."
(d) "nothing special."
2. In Hitler's eyes, Einstein is guilty because he is all BUT WHICH of the following?
(a) A Jew.
(b) An internationalist.
(c) A scientist.
(d) A pacifist.
3. Which of the following does the author NOT mention as current possible benefits of atomic power?
(a) Conquering diseases.
(b) Conquering other countries.
(c) Conquering poverty.
(d) Conquering deserts.
4. Some members of the city council in Berlin oppose giving Einstein a gift. In exasperation, Einstein does what?
(a) Makes a speech about the council.
(b) Refuses the gift.
(c) Moves to Munich.
(d) Tries to have the opposition fired.
5. Einstein returns to work at the end of Chapter Thirteen. Why is this unusual?
(a) His wife dies a few days earlier.
(b) He has no work to do.
(c) He is no longer being paid.
(d) It is the holidays.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Einstein's attitude toward the murder of Walter Rathenau, Minister of Foreign Affairs, at the opening of Chapter Nine?
2. Mrs. Einstein is frightened and alarmed when she hears what report in Chapter Twelve?
3. What sad event happens to the Einstein family during Chapter Thirteen?
4. A young man approaches Einstein, wanting to discuss the possibility of his formula being used to create explosives. How does Einstein respond?
5. Who is present when Einstein dies at the end of Chapter Fourteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why the author calls Einstein a false prophet at the beginning of Chapter Eight.
2. Explain Einstein's worries about the German Republic and his disturbing revelation in Marseilles.
3. Elsa Einstein says that it is difficult to be married to Albert Einstein. Does this seem likely? Why is it difficult?
4. Explain why some Japanese are insulted when Einstein speaks in that country.
5. Describe Einstein's attempts to help those less fortunate refugees in Chapter Thirteen.
6. The Holocaust is not underway when Einstein elects not to return to Germany. Why does he decide to stay away from his homeland?
7. Explain the approach Einstein wants the U.S. to take in regards to the atomic bomb after its creation.
8. Why is Einstein so enthused to meet Dr. Albert Michelson in California?
9. Einstein asks an American diplomat why the U.S. does not try to end Japan's aggressions in China with a boycott. Explain the diplomat's response and Einstein's feelings about the response.
10. With what group of critics does Einstein grow angry in Chapter Eight, and why?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)