|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Einstein adopts a terrier pup in Chapter Fourteen. What is the name of the dog?
2. With which detractors of his theories does Einstein grow particularly angry?
(a) Those who are academically jealous.
(b) Those who don't understand his theory.
(c) Those who set out to prove he is crazy.
(d) Those who attack him on personal matters.
3. What is Einstein's favorite part about the job at the new university as Chapter Thirteen begins?
(a) He has a better house.
(b) It is informal.
(c) It is a bigger school.
(d) He makes more money.
4. Einstein receives several gifts as he prepares to leave the US. What is his attitude toward these gifts?
(a) He thinks Americans are crazy.
(b) He is puzzled.
(c) He doesn't like them.
(d) He believes he deserves them.
5. Why does Einstein decide not to accept the offered professorship in Jerusalem after leaving Germany?
(a) Younger, less famous scientist refugees need jobs there.
(b) He thinks Hitler might invade Jerusalem.
(c) He doesn't like the University.
(d) His wife is not able to tolerate the climate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unusual about Einstein's recommendations for people to take a US hospital job?
2. During the tour of Japan, Einstein's guide says that Einstein offends Japanese people. How?
3. The author gives three reasons why some scientists disagree with Einstein's work. Which of the following does the author NOT mention?
4. Einstein's peers feel he has what attitude toward his country during Chapter Nine?
5. Mrs. Einstein is frightened and alarmed when she hears what report in Chapter Twelve?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Einstein give for wishing to cooperate particularly with American scientists?
2. Why is Elsa Einstein unhappy in Jerusalem? Explain.
3. What does Einstein's behavior after Elsa's death in Chapter Thirteen tell the reader about him? Is he insensitive?
4. Explain why some Japanese are insulted when Einstein speaks in that country.
5. Why is Einstein happier at Princeton University than he is at previous appointments?
6. Why is Hitler's persecution of Einstein as a Jew ironic? Explain.
7. Why are the Einsteins happier in California than on other trips? What is different?
8. Elsa Einstein says that it is difficult to be married to Albert Einstein. Does this seem likely? Why is it difficult?
9. Describe the boat incident in Chapter Thirteen, and explain what the reader learns about Einstein from this story.
10. Einstein asks an American diplomat why the U.S. does not try to end Japan's aggressions in China with a boycott. Explain the diplomat's response and Einstein's feelings about the response.
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)