|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Einstein's peers feel he has what attitude toward his country during Chapter Nine?
2. The city of Berlin decides to give Einstein what for his 50th birthday?
(a) A park bearing his name.
(b) A new house on the river.
(c) A statue in the center of town.
(d) A beautiful plaque in appreciation.
3. What is Einstein's favorite part about the job at the new university as Chapter Thirteen begins?
(a) It is informal.
(b) He makes more money.
(c) He has a better house.
(d) It is a bigger school.
4. Why is Einstein disgusted with his quarters on the ship for America?
(a) They are not close to the kitchen.
(b) They are too luxurious.
(c) They are not luxurious enough.
(d) They are too close to steerage.
5. In what area does Mrs. Einstein excel?
(a) Simple things like writing letters.
(b) Difficult tasks such as redecorating the house.
(c) Complex things like writing new theories.
(d) Common things like tipping people and keeping track of bills.
Short Answer Questions
1. During his tour of America, Einstein is beginning to have grave concerns about what situation at home in Germany?
2. After children sing carols at the Einstein house for Christmas, what reward does he offer them?
3. With which detractors of his theories does Einstein grow particularly angry?
4. Einstein receives several gifts as he prepares to leave the US. What is his attitude toward these gifts?
5. Einstein resigns from the Commission for the Co-operation of Intellectuals after a year because he realizes what about the organization?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the reader learn about Einstein's tastes, based on his reaction to the quarters on the ship reserves for him?
2. Why is Elsa Einstein unhappy in Jerusalem? Explain.
3. What plan does Einstein think up to slow the flood of autograph requests?
4. Describe the boat incident in Chapter Thirteen, and explain what the reader learns about Einstein from this story.
5. Einstein wins a Nobel Prize for physics in 1922, but not for his theory on relativity. For what work is he given the Nobel, and why is relativity not included?
6. Explain why the author calls Einstein a false prophet at the beginning of Chapter Eight.
7. The Holocaust is not underway when Einstein elects not to return to Germany. Why does he decide to stay away from his homeland?
8. Why does Einstein finally decide to settle in America?
9. Explain why some Japanese are insulted when Einstein speaks in that country.
10. Why is Einstein no longer a pacifist in Chapter Fourteen?
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)