|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Chapter Twelve ends, the Einsteins are once again headed for what country?
2. What is ironic about Hitler's attitude toward Einstein in Chapter Twelve?
(a) Einstein is not particularly tied to his religion.
(b) Einstein doesn't live in Germany.
(c) Einstein agrees with Hitler's policies.
(d) Einstein makes Hitler famous.
3. Einstein returns to work at the end of Chapter Thirteen. Why is this unusual?
(a) It is the holidays.
(b) His wife dies a few days earlier.
(c) He is no longer being paid.
(d) He has no work to do.
4. As the Einsteins prepare to return to California in 1932, Dr. Einstein tells his wife to take a long look at their house. Why?
(a) He has a feeling they won't be returning.
(b) He intends to find one like it in America.
(c) He is considering selling it and wants Elsa's opinion.
(d) It is a long trip and they won't see it for several months.
5. Einstein grants one final interview to a young man in the safety of his cabin in Chapter Ten. Why does he grant this interview?
(a) So the young man doesn't lose his job.
(b) The man threatens to blackmail him.
(c) Elsa begs him to grant it.
(d) Because he is friends with the man's parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of California do the Einsteins NOT enjoy?
2. Einstein resigns from the Commission for the Co-operation of Intellectuals after a year because he realizes what about the organization?
3. Einstein gives a gift to the Hebrew University in Jerusalem in Chapter Thirteen. What is the gift?
4. Who comes to live with Einstein early in Chapter Fourteen?
5. The author ends the book by quoting what important person?
Short Essay Questions
1. Einstein wins a Nobel Prize for physics in 1922, but not for his theory on relativity. For what work is he given the Nobel, and why is relativity not included?
2. Why is Einstein happier at Princeton University than he is at previous appointments?
3. Einstein asks an American diplomat why the U.S. does not try to end Japan's aggressions in China with a boycott. Explain the diplomat's response and Einstein's feelings about the response.
4. Explain why Einstein, a former pacifist, agrees to speak to President Roosevelt about the creation of an atomic bomb.
5. What does the reader learn about Einstein's tastes, based on his reaction to the quarters on the ship reserves for him?
6. Explain why the author calls Einstein a false prophet at the beginning of Chapter Eight.
7. With what group of critics does Einstein grow angry in Chapter Eight, and why?
8. Why are the Einsteins happier in California than on other trips? What is different?
9. Explain why some Japanese are insulted when Einstein speaks in that country.
10. Why do some Berlin scientists imply that Einstein is a traitor to his country?
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)