|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does it take Einstein to become a US citizen?
(a) Six months.
(b) Twenty years.
(c) Two years.
(d) Five years.
2. With what aspect of New York is Einstein frustrated?
(a) The museums are not as nice as he hopes.
(b) The food is terrible and he has an upset stomach the whole trip.
(c) The people are not very friendly toward his wife.
(d) He cannot go on sight-seeing trips without being recognized.
3. Why is Einstein disgusted with his quarters on the ship for America?
(a) They are too luxurious.
(b) They are too close to steerage.
(c) They are not luxurious enough.
(d) They are not close to the kitchen.
4. Einstein adopts a terrier pup in Chapter Fourteen. What is the name of the dog?
5. As Einstein grows older, he discovers that he enjoys a new hobby. What is it?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to live with Einstein early in Chapter Fourteen?
2. What universities does Einstein NOT visit on his trip in Chapter Eight?
3. After children sing carols at the Einstein house for Christmas, what reward does he offer them?
4. The author gives three reasons why some scientists disagree with Einstein's work. Which of the following does the author NOT mention?
5. What does Einstein do after his retirement in Chapter Fourteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do some Berlin scientists imply that Einstein is a traitor to his country?
2. Why is Einstein no longer a pacifist in Chapter Fourteen?
3. What does Einstein's behavior after Elsa's death in Chapter Thirteen tell the reader about him? Is he insensitive?
4. Explain Einstein's view of the political climate in Germany at the beginning of Chapter Nine.
5. What does the reader learn about Einstein's tastes, based on his reaction to the quarters on the ship reserves for him?
6. Explain Einstein's worries about the German Republic and his disturbing revelation in Marseilles.
7. What reason does Einstein give for wishing to cooperate particularly with American scientists?
8. Elsa Einstein says that it is difficult to be married to Albert Einstein. Does this seem likely? Why is it difficult?
9. Why is Einstein so enthused to meet Dr. Albert Michelson in California?
10. Why is Elsa Einstein unhappy in Jerusalem? Explain.
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)