|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what aspect of New York is Einstein frustrated?
(a) He cannot go on sight-seeing trips without being recognized.
(b) The food is terrible and he has an upset stomach the whole trip.
(c) The people are not very friendly toward his wife.
(d) The museums are not as nice as he hopes.
2. Some members of the city council in Berlin oppose giving Einstein a gift. In exasperation, Einstein does what?
(a) Refuses the gift.
(b) Makes a speech about the council.
(c) Tries to have the opposition fired.
(d) Moves to Munich.
3. Toward the end of Chapter Thirteen, what happens to Elsa Einstein?
(a) She becomes very ill.
(b) She is robbed while walking to the store.
(c) She decides to divorce her husband.
(d) She becomes very depressed.
4. What is unusual about Einstein's recommendations for people to take a US hospital job?
(a) He recommends his daughter.
(b) He recommends four people for the same position.
(c) He doesn't know the people he recommends.
(d) He refuses to recommend anyone.
5. In Hitler's eyes, Einstein is guilty because he is all BUT WHICH of the following?
(a) An internationalist.
(b) A scientist.
(c) A pacifist.
(d) A Jew.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Fourteen, some of Einstein's colleagues ask him to set up a meeting with ________ to discuss their work on the atom bomb.
2. On the way home from the trip to Japan, Einstein cannot resist an invitation to visit what country?
3. The author states that several French physicists give Einstein a cold reception in Chapter Eight. What reason does the author give for this?
4. The city of Berlin decides to give Einstein what for his 50th birthday?
5. Einstein mentions during the Berlin gift nonsense that it "becomes an excuse for many people for the best thing there is in life:________".
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)