|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Einstein decide not to accept the offered professorship in Jerusalem after leaving Germany?
(a) He doesn't like the University.
(b) He thinks Hitler might invade Jerusalem.
(c) His wife is not able to tolerate the climate.
(d) Younger, less famous scientist refugees need jobs there.
2. During his tour of America, Einstein is beginning to have grave concerns about what situation at home in Germany?
(a) Growing militarism.
(b) Growing dropout rate.
(c) Growing national debt.
(d) Growing poverty.
3. During Chapter Nine, how does Mrs. Einstein begin to feel about their fame?
(a) She is happier than ever.
(b) She is concerned about how it affects her children.
(c) She doesn't wish to return home to their former life.
(d) She is growing frustrated with it all.
4. Why does Einstein agree to write to the President to discuss the atomic bomb?
(a) He knows the Nazis eventually build an atom bomb.
(b) He hopes to be rewarded by the President.
(c) He can't refuse to help his friends.
(d) He doesn't think it can be done anyway.
5. During Chapter Eight, Einstein tells his wife to pack as he intends to travel to which country?
Short Answer Questions
1. With what aspect of New York is Einstein frustrated?
2. Hitler claims that all BUT WHICH group causes Germany to lose World War I?
3. How does Einstein finally decide to deal with the autograph requests in Chapter Eight?
4. During the tour of Japan, Einstein's guide says that Einstein offends Japanese people. How?
5. A major event takes place in Einstein's family in Chapter Ten. What is it?
Short Essay Questions
1. The Holocaust is not underway when Einstein elects not to return to Germany. Why does he decide to stay away from his homeland?
2. Einstein brings national attention to Germany, so it seems logical that Hitler celebrates Einstein's success. This is not the case. Why?
3. Elsa Einstein says that it is difficult to be married to Albert Einstein. Does this seem likely? Why is it difficult?
4. What reason does Einstein give for wishing to cooperate particularly with American scientists?
5. Explain Einstein's view of the political climate in Germany at the beginning of Chapter Nine.
6. Explain why some Japanese are insulted when Einstein speaks in that country.
7. What does the reader learn about Einstein's tastes, based on his reaction to the quarters on the ship reserves for him?
8. Describe Einstein's attempts to help those less fortunate refugees in Chapter Thirteen.
9. With what group of critics does Einstein grow angry in Chapter Eight, and why?
10. Einstein wins a Nobel Prize for physics in 1922, but not for his theory on relativity. For what work is he given the Nobel, and why is relativity not included?
This section contains 1,153 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)