|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Einstein grows older, he discovers that he enjoys a new hobby. What is it?
2. Einstein returns to work at the end of Chapter Thirteen. Why is this unusual?
(a) He is no longer being paid.
(b) He has no work to do.
(c) It is the holidays.
(d) His wife dies a few days earlier.
3. Einstein doesn't usually enjoy movies, but he does appreciate the one he attends as a guest of which movie star in Chapter Eleven?
(a) Clark Gable.
(b) Shirley Temple.
(c) Charlie Chaplin.
(d) Fred Astaire.
4. The city of Berlin decides to give Einstein what for his 50th birthday?
(a) A park bearing his name.
(b) A statue in the center of town.
(c) A beautiful plaque in appreciation.
(d) A new house on the river.
5. Of the following, who is NOT present at Einstein's welcome to America in Chapter Eleven?
(a) President Taft.
(b) Dr. Butler.
(c) Mayor Walker.
(d) John D. Rockefeller, Jr.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unusual about Einstein's recommendations for people to take a US hospital job?
2. Einstein always tries to help others. In what way does he try to help most in Chapter Thirteen?
3. Bertrand Russell comments that "Everybody knows that Einstein does something astonishing...".
4. The author ends the book by quoting what important person?
5. How does Einstein finally decide to deal with the autograph requests in Chapter Eight?
Short Essay Questions
1. Elsa Einstein says that it is difficult to be married to Albert Einstein. Does this seem likely? Why is it difficult?
2. Describe the boat incident in Chapter Thirteen, and explain what the reader learns about Einstein from this story.
3. With what group of critics does Einstein grow angry in Chapter Eight, and why?
4. Why is Einstein no longer a pacifist in Chapter Fourteen?
5. What plan does Einstein think up to slow the flood of autograph requests?
6. What does the reader learn about Einstein's tastes, based on his reaction to the quarters on the ship reserves for him?
7. Why are the Einsteins happier in California than on other trips? What is different?
8. Describe and explain Einstein's answer to the reporter who asks about the political climate in Germany. Why is Einstein so careful in answering?
9. The Holocaust is not underway when Einstein elects not to return to Germany. Why does he decide to stay away from his homeland?
10. Why is Einstein happier at Princeton University than he is at previous appointments?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)