|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Albert's mother usually lets him stay up late to listen to music, but tonight she sends him to bed. Why?
(a) She is tired of answering his questions.
(b) His cheeks are flushed and she's worried he is getting a fever.
(c) He is late for supper.
(d) He is misbehaving all day.
2. Toward the end of Chapter Seven, Einstein's theory is finally ______.
(a) Proven irrelevant.
(b) Proven correct.
(c) Proven ridiculous.
(d) Proven incorrect.
3. When Einstein graduates from the University of Zurich, what degree is he awarded?
(a) Bachelor of Science.
(b) Doctorate of Physics.
(c) Associate of Physics.
(d) Doctorate of Chemistry.
4. When asked if the new Mrs. Einstein understands the theory of relativity, how does Einstein respond?
(a) He never tries to explain it to her.
(b) It totally confuses her.
(c) She completely understands it.
(d) She helps him come up with it.
5. Albert tells his uncle that being in school is like what?
(a) Going to the doctor.
(b) Sleep walking.
(c) Going to prison.
(d) Being a soldier.
Short Answer Questions
1. What types of questions does Albert think about when he visits the church on his way home from school?
2. Mrs. Einstein worries that her son has difficulty in school. What reason does she NOT mention for being worried?
3. During dinner, Maja tells her parents that her brother likes to do what?
4. What impression does the reader have of Mileva's attitude toward her life during Chapter Six?
5. Why is Albert glad that his uncle doesn't ask about his friends at school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the job at the Patent Office a good position for Einstein? Explain.
2. Based on Einstein's dialogue with community members, what type of person does he seem to be in Chapter One?
3. In Chapter Two, Pauline Einstein thinks that Albert is ill and sends him to bed early. What brings about the change in Albert's appearance, and why does his mother mistake it for illness?
4. What does Einstein's theory of relativity have to do with Michelson and Morley's experiment?
5. Why does the author specifically mention that Einstein answers the strange boy on the porch in German?
6. Why do Michelson and Morley assume that their experiments are a failure?
7. Explain what happens to the group of German astronomers who plan to check Einstein's theory on light rays by observing a total eclipse.
8. The author states that relativity is not new, and she uses a train as an example. Explain this example. Why does the author use this example?
9. Why does Hermann Einstein say that an education is so important? He mentions that "a Jew needs one to get along nowadays." To what situation is Hermann referring?
10. Describe Einstein's parents, Pauline and Hermann. What type of parents are they?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)