|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Albert kicked out of school in Chapter Two?
(a) He asks too many questions and makes the teacher look bad.
(b) He makes rude comments about his teachers.
(c) He starts too many fights.
(d) He is absent too often.
2. What does Einstein's famous formula mean?
(a) Energy equals mass times the speed of sound cubed.
(b) Energy equals motion times the speed of sound squared.
(c) Energy equals mass times the speed of light squared.
(d) Energy equals motion times the speed of light.
3. In Chapter Four, Mileva is disgusted with the Kaiser because he says women should be concerned only with what?
(a) Kitchen, Church, and Children.
(b) Sewing, Children, and Money.
(c) Family, Country, and Religion.
(d) Work, Church, and Husband.
4. With what part of Einstein's job at the university is his wife dissatisfied in Chapter Six?
(a) She doesn't like the other professors.
(b) She feels he doesn't have enough time for his family.
(c) The University doesn't promote his work.
(d) She is concerned about their financial situation.
5. In Chapter Two, the reader learns that Hermann Einstein does what for a living?
(a) Writes a newspaper.
(b) He is unemployed.
(c) He is a factory owner.
(d) Travels around giving speeches.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shortly after the Einstein family relocates to Prague, Einstein is offered a full professorship where?
2. How many students attend Einstein's first few lectures at the university in Chapter Six?
3. According to Chapter One, what odd experience does Einstein have in Germany before he leaves?
4. What is the most important part of school for Einstein's multi-cultural friends at his new school?
5. Why is Hermann Einstein pleased when his son displays interest in the pocket watch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Einstein's parents, Pauline and Hermann. What type of parents are they?
2. In what ways is Elsa just what Einstein needs? Explain.
3. Describe Mr. Einstein's appearance at the opening of the book.
4. According to the author, how is the relationship between Einstein and Mileva during and after their divorce?
5. Why does Hermann Einstein say that an education is so important? He mentions that "a Jew needs one to get along nowadays." To what situation is Hermann referring?
6. In Chapter Two, Pauline Einstein thinks that Albert is ill and sends him to bed early. What brings about the change in Albert's appearance, and why does his mother mistake it for illness?
7. Why do Michelson and Morley assume that their experiments are a failure?
8. Describe Mileva Maritsch's frustrations with her marriage to Einstein. Is it Einstein with whom she is displeased, or something else?
9. Why is Einstein asked not to return to the Luitpold Gymnasium?
10. Describe Pauline Einstein. What kind of woman is she?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)