|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Albert's nursery governess says what about her experience taking the children to the park?
(a) It usually starts raining by the time they get there.
(b) Maja starts fights with other children.
(c) Albert always refuses to play with other children.
(d) She spends all her time knitting.
2. When Einstein graduates from the University of Zurich, what degree is he awarded?
(a) Doctorate of Physics.
(b) Doctorate of Chemistry.
(c) Associate of Physics.
(d) Bachelor of Science.
3. The author says that Albert and Maja resemble each other strongly except for one feature. What is different about the children?
(a) Maja is blonde, while Albert has dark hair.
(b) Maja is polite, while Albert is rude.
(c) Maja's eyes twinkle with laughter, while Albert's are clouded with dreams.
(d) Maja is short, while Albert is very tall.
4. The Einsteins come to the conclusion that they should divorce. What does the author say about their relationship after the divorce?
(a) They cannot stand living together.
(b) They hate each other.
(c) They ignore each other.
(d) They remain friends.
5. In relation to Michelson and Morley's work, Einstein's theory claims what?
(a) The universe travels at the speed of sound.
(b) There is nothing absolutely at rest in the universe.
(c) Michelson and Morley do their experiment incorrectly.
(d) There is nothing in motion in the universe.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Six, a friend offers Einstein three positions in Berlin. Which of the following is NOT offered?
2. Chapter Five opens with Einstein presenting his paper on what?
3. In the last few pages of Chapter One, how long does Einstein say it takes for him to gain a world reputation?
4. What types of questions does Albert think about when he visits the church on his way home from school?
5. Whom does Hermann suggest his son ask about the compass?
Short Essay Questions
1. With what group of critics does Einstein grow angry in Chapter Eight, and why?
2. Why are the Einsteins happier in California than on other trips? What is different?
3. Is it easy or difficult to manage a child like Albert? Explain.
4. Why is Einstein sometimes called the Newton of the twentieth century?
5. Explain the approach Einstein wants the U.S. to take in regards to the atomic bomb after its creation.
6. Describe the boat incident in Chapter Thirteen, and explain what the reader learns about Einstein from this story.
7. What does Einstein's theory of relativity have to do with Michelson and Morley's experiment?
8. Why do some Berlin scientists imply that Einstein is a traitor to his country?
9. Why does the author specifically mention that Einstein answers the strange boy on the porch in German?
10. Why is Einstein's international fame surprising?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)