|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mileva decides to add to the household income by supplementing her husband's university job with income from what?
(a) Working in a factory.
(b) Taking in boarders.
(c) Tutoring students.
(d) Giving piano lessons.
2. How does Einstein refer to the way he feels about lecturing at the university?
(a) "The best work I've ever done."
(b) "My calling in life."
(c) "A silly, pointless exercise."
(d) "Performances on the trapeze."
3. Albert's mother usually lets him stay up late to listen to music, but tonight she sends him to bed. Why?
(a) His cheeks are flushed and she's worried he is getting a fever.
(b) He is late for supper.
(c) She is tired of answering his questions.
(d) He is misbehaving all day.
4. When finally able to test the theory, researchers discover what about Einstein's work?
(a) He makes it all up.
(b) He is correct.
(c) He is wrong.
(d) He makes no sense at all.
5. In Chapter Four, what kind of father is Einstein?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mileva say she misses about Switzerland during Chapter Six?
2. The Swiss schools are not anxious to hire Einstein for all BUT WHICH of the following reasons?
3. Toward the end of Chapter One, Einstein finds a boy waiting for him on the porch. In what language does the boy speak to him?
4. In relation to Michelson and Morley's work, Einstein's theory claims what?
5. Einstein encourages other scientists to check his theories, one of which requires a total eclipse. What prevents that experiment?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the author, how is the relationship between Einstein and Mileva during and after their divorce?
2. What does Einstein's theory of relativity have to do with Michelson and Morley's experiment?
3. Is it easy or difficult to manage a child like Albert? Explain.
4. Why does Hermann Einstein say that an education is so important? He mentions that "a Jew needs one to get along nowadays." To what situation is Hermann referring?
5. Why is Einstein sometimes called the Newton of the twentieth century?
6. The author states that relativity is not new, and she uses a train as an example. Explain this example. Why does the author use this example?
7. Why does Mileva decide not to move with her husband to Berlin?
8. Why does Einstein get along better with his peers at the University than he does with his schoolmates previously?
9. Why is the job at the Patent Office a good position for Einstein? Explain.
10. Why does Einstein change his mind about granting the boy from the porch an interview?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)