|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Hermann annoyed when the family sits down to dinner in Chapter Two?
(a) The mashed potatoes are cold.
(b) Albert does not come in for dinner.
(c) The knife he is using is dull.
(d) His daughter is misbehaving.
2. What reason does Hermann give for moving his family to Munich?
(a) His parents are close by.
(b) He wants his son to get a good education.
(c) His wife is happier there.
(d) He needs a job.
3. Chapter Two ends with Mrs. Einstein expressing her desire that her son becomes what?
(a) A professor.
(b) A factory owner.
(c) A violinist.
(d) A good father.
4. What types of questions does Albert think about when he visits the church on his way home from school?
(a) Science issues.
(c) Religious issues.
(d) Human behavior.
5. In Chapter Six, a friend offers Einstein three positions in Berlin. Which of the following is NOT offered?
(a) The Science Institute of Berlin.
(b) Kaiser Wilhelm Institute of Berlin.
(c) Prussian Academy of Sciences of Berlin.
(d) University of Berlin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Einstein is most interested in what part of being a professor?
2. Einstein meets Mileva Maritsch at his new school. On what do they spend most of their time?
3. During dinner in Chapter Two, why is Mrs. Einstein impatient for the children to get finished with dinner?
4. After the war, two teams are sent to record the total eclipse. Why are there two teams?
5. In relation to Michelson and Morley's work, Einstein's theory claims what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Elsa Einstein unhappy in Jerusalem? Explain.
2. What reason does Einstein give for wishing to cooperate particularly with American scientists?
3. Explain the approach Einstein wants the U.S. to take in regards to the atomic bomb after its creation.
4. Why is Hitler's persecution of Einstein as a Jew ironic? Explain.
5. Why does Einstein finally decide to settle in America?
6. Why does Hermann Einstein say that an education is so important? He mentions that "a Jew needs one to get along nowadays." To what situation is Hermann referring?
7. Describe Mr. Einstein's appearance at the opening of the book.
8. The reader learns that Einstein's work eventually leads other scientists to create the atom bomb. Why?
9. Describe Pauline Einstein. What kind of woman is she?
10. As Einstein starts receiving professorships, why is Mileva still frustrated with their financial situation?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)