|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A boy in the coffee shop makes fun of Einstein as an absent-minded professor. How does the shop owner respond?
(a) He laughs and joins in on the joke.
(b) He throws the boy out of his shop.
(c) He ignores the comment.
(d) He reproves the boy and says Einstein is the smartest man in the world.
2. Einstein tells Miss Dukas he let the boy from the porch in for what purpose?
(a) The weather is getting worse.
(b) To discuss an interesting theory.
(c) The boy brings Einstein's mail.
(d) So that the boy can warm up and answer Einstein's questions.
3. Toward the end of Chapter Seven, Einstein's theory is finally ______.
(a) Proven incorrect.
(b) Proven ridiculous.
(c) Proven correct.
(d) Proven irrelevant.
4. What nickname do the boys at school give Albert?
(a) Dumb Albie.
(b) Nosey Bertie.
(c) Evil Einstein.
(d) Honest John.
5. In 1905, why don't other scientists know whether or not Einstein is correct?
(a) No one takes him seriously.
(b) No one is able to recreate the experiment.
(c) No one understands his work well enough to do the experiments.
(d) No one hears of his work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Einstein's attitude toward politics during Chapter Seven?
2. In his spare time from work at the patent office, what does Einstein invent?
3. At the opening of the book, what is the name of the street on which Einstein is walking?
4. The Swiss schools are not anxious to hire Einstein for all BUT WHICH of the following reasons?
5. What does Einstein's famous formula mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Einstein asked not to return to the Luitpold Gymnasium?
2. Describe Mileva Maritsch.
3. Describe Mileva Maritsch's frustrations with her marriage to Einstein. Is it Einstein with whom she is displeased, or something else?
4. Why do Michelson and Morley assume that their experiments are a failure?
5. Describe Mr. Einstein's appearance at the opening of the book.
6. Why is the job at the Patent Office a good position for Einstein? Explain.
7. Describe Pauline Einstein. What kind of woman is she?
8. Based on Einstein's dialogue with community members, what type of person does he seem to be in Chapter One?
9. Describe Einstein's parents, Pauline and Hermann. What type of parents are they?
10. In what ways is Elsa just what Einstein needs? Explain.
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)