|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Chapter One, what odd experience does Einstein have in Germany before he leaves?
(a) The whole country hates him.
(b) He is first celebrated and then declared a traitor.
(c) He is pursued by the media.
(d) His whole family dies of a mysterious illness.
2. In Chapter Two, the reader learns that Hermann Einstein does what for a living?
(a) He is a factory owner.
(b) Travels around giving speeches.
(c) Writes a newspaper.
(d) He is unemployed.
3. What types of questions does Albert think about when he visits the church on his way home from school?
(a) Science issues.
(b) Religious issues.
(d) Human behavior.
4. Einstein's work, and the work of scientists after him, eventually lead to the creation of what?
(a) Nuclear fusion.
(b) Solar energy.
(c) National Guild of Scientists.
(d) Atomic bomb.
5. What does Einstein say he thinks is the result of seeing the charm on his father's watch?
(a) First arouses his interest in science.
(b) Creates his curiosity.
(c) Drives him to study geology.
(d) Makes him hate his father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Toward the end of Chapter One, Einstein finds a boy waiting for him on the porch. In what language does the boy speak to him?
2. What solution does Uncle Jake propose for Albert's difficulties in school?
3. Mileva decides to add to the household income by supplementing her husband's university job with income from what?
4. In Chapter Six, a friend offers Einstein three positions in Berlin. Which of the following is NOT offered?
5. Toward the end of Chapter Seven, Einstein's theory is finally ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Einstein's parents, Pauline and Hermann. What type of parents are they?
2. Is it easy or difficult to manage a child like Albert? Explain.
3. Do the townspeople respect Einstein at the beginning of the book?
4. What does the reader learn about Albert from his questions about his father's compass?
5. What does Einstein's theory of relativity have to do with Michelson and Morley's experiment?
6. The reader learns that Einstein's work eventually leads other scientists to create the atom bomb. Why?
7. Describe Mr. Einstein's appearance at the opening of the book.
8. Why does Hermann Einstein say that an education is so important? He mentions that "a Jew needs one to get along nowadays." To what situation is Hermann referring?
9. Why does the author specifically mention that Einstein answers the strange boy on the porch in German?
10. According to the author, why does young Einstein not fit in at his school?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)