|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the time this story takes place, Einstein is living in what country?
(d) United States.
2. After he becomes a Swiss citizen, Einstein is able to secure a government job in what field?
(b) Postal Service.
(c) Patent Office.
3. What reason does Albert give when asked why he doesn't ask his teachers questions?
(a) They don't like him.
(b) He hates school.
(c) Other kids make fun of him when he asks.
(d) His teachers don't know the answers.
4. According to Chapter One, what odd experience does Einstein have in Germany before he leaves?
(a) His whole family dies of a mysterious illness.
(b) The whole country hates him.
(c) He is first celebrated and then declared a traitor.
(d) He is pursued by the media.
5. When Einstein first lectures on his theory in the US, he comments that, "It is all very simple." How does the audience respond?
(a) Gets up and leaves the lecture hall.
(b) Begins shouting at him.
(c) Stares at him silently.
(d) Bursts into laughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his spare time from work at the patent office, what does Einstein invent?
2. In Chapter Four, Mileva is disgusted with the Kaiser because he says women should be concerned only with what?
3. How does Einstein refer to the way he feels about lecturing at the university?
4. During dinner in Chapter Two, why is Mrs. Einstein impatient for the children to get finished with dinner?
5. Einstein's work, and the work of scientists after him, eventually lead to the creation of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mileva Maritsch's frustrations with her marriage to Einstein. Is it Einstein with whom she is displeased, or something else?
2. Why does Einstein not enjoy giving interviews?
3. What is interesting about Einstein's approach to the customary visits usually undertaken by new staff members? What is the result of his decision?
4. What does the reader learn about Albert from his questions about his father's compass?
5. Explain what happens to the group of German astronomers who plan to check Einstein's theory on light rays by observing a total eclipse.
6. Do the townspeople respect Einstein at the beginning of the book?
7. What does Einstein's theory of relativity have to do with Michelson and Morley's experiment?
8. According to the author, why does young Einstein not fit in at his school?
9. Based on Einstein's dialogue with community members, what type of person does he seem to be in Chapter One?
10. Describe Mr. Einstein's appearance at the opening of the book.
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)