|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Einstein's theory tell us about time and space?
(a) Neither go on forever in the same fixed way.
(b) Neither of them are measurable.
(c) Neither of them matter.
(d) Neither of them change.
2. The title of Chapter Seven says that Einstein is sometimes called the _____________ of the Twentieth Century.
3. Toward the end of Chapter Three, Albert tells his father that he wishes to attend what institution?
(a) The Science Institute in Berlin.
(b) MIT in the USA.
(c) His old Gymnasium in Munich.
(d) Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich.
4. After the war, two teams are sent to record the total eclipse. Why are there two teams?
(a) One team is not very good.
(b) International tension might make it difficult for teams to get to the location.
(c) To verify that the results are not fake.
(d) In case the weather is bad in one location.
5. Toward the end of Chapter One, Einstein finds a boy waiting for him on the porch. In what language does the boy speak to him?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Hermann Einstein pleased when his son displays interest in the pocket watch?
2. What solution does Uncle Jake propose for Albert's difficulties in school?
3. Whom does Hermann suggest his son ask about the compass?
4. The Einsteins come to the conclusion that they should divorce. What does the author say about their relationship after the divorce?
5. When Mrs. Einstein asks how Albert gets his nickname at school, what does he tell her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the reader learn about Albert from his questions about his father's compass?
2. Why does Einstein not enjoy giving interviews?
3. Describe Mileva Maritsch.
4. Describe Einstein's parents, Pauline and Hermann. What type of parents are they?
5. Why does Einstein get along better with his peers at the University than he does with his schoolmates previously?
6. Why does Mileva decide not to move with her husband to Berlin?
7. Why does the author specifically mention that Einstein answers the strange boy on the porch in German?
8. What does Einstein's theory of relativity have to do with Michelson and Morley's experiment?
9. Describe Mr. Einstein's appearance at the opening of the book.
10. What is interesting about Einstein's approach to the customary visits usually undertaken by new staff members? What is the result of his decision?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)