|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mrs. Einstein worries that her son has difficulty in school. What reason does she NOT mention for being worried?
(a) He spends too much time dreaming.
(b) No one knows what to expect from him.
(c) He is shy.
(d) He is disrespectful.
2. What reason does the author mention for why Mileva is unhappy in her marriage?
(a) She no longer loves her husband.
(b) Her husband never spends any time with her.
(c) She has to keep house and has no time for learning.
(d) Her children are badly behaved.
3. According to Chapter One, what odd experience does Einstein have in Germany before he leaves?
(a) He is pursued by the media.
(b) The whole country hates him.
(c) His whole family dies of a mysterious illness.
(d) He is first celebrated and then declared a traitor.
4. Shortly after the Einstein family relocates to Prague, Einstein is offered a full professorship where?
(a) MIT in the USA.
(b) His old Gymnasium in Munich.
(c) Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich.
(d) The Science Institute in Berlin.
5. Mrs. Einstein thinks her son should have what when he turns six?
(a) Music lessons.
(b) Speech lessons.
(c) Math lessons.
(d) History lessons.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mileva say she misses about Switzerland during Chapter Six?
2. On his walk at the opening of Chapter One, who does Einstein NOT greet?
3. Chapter Five opens with Einstein presenting his paper on what?
4. The Swiss schools are not anxious to hire Einstein for all BUT WHICH of the following reasons?
5. Why is Hermann annoyed when the family sits down to dinner in Chapter Two?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter Two, Pauline Einstein thinks that Albert is ill and sends him to bed early. What brings about the change in Albert's appearance, and why does his mother mistake it for illness?
2. Explain Einstein's view, as stated in Chapter Seven, on how scientists should behave in the global community.
3. Based on Einstein's dialogue with community members, what type of person does he seem to be in Chapter One?
4. Describe Mileva Maritsch's frustrations with her marriage to Einstein. Is it Einstein with whom she is displeased, or something else?
5. Explain what happens to the group of German astronomers who plan to check Einstein's theory on light rays by observing a total eclipse.
6. Do the townspeople respect Einstein at the beginning of the book?
7. Why does Einstein get along better with his peers at the University than he does with his schoolmates previously?
8. The reader learns that Einstein's work eventually leads other scientists to create the atom bomb. Why?
9. The author states that relativity is not new, and she uses a train as an example. Explain this example. Why does the author use this example?
10. Why is Einstein asked not to return to the Luitpold Gymnasium?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)