|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Einstein refer to the way he feels about lecturing at the university?
(a) "The best work I've ever done."
(b) "A silly, pointless exercise."
(c) "Performances on the trapeze."
(d) "My calling in life."
2. Who becomes Einstein's second wife?
3. A boy in the coffee shop makes fun of Einstein as an absent-minded professor. How does the shop owner respond?
(a) He ignores the comment.
(b) He laughs and joins in on the joke.
(c) He reproves the boy and says Einstein is the smartest man in the world.
(d) He throws the boy out of his shop.
4. Toward the end of Chapter Three, Albert tells his father that he wishes to attend what institution?
(a) MIT in the USA.
(b) Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich.
(c) His old Gymnasium in Munich.
(d) The Science Institute in Berlin.
5. Why does the boy from the porch think Einstein might help him?
(a) They are both refugees.
(b) He can blackmail Einstein.
(c) They are related.
(d) He is willing to pay.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Einstein's attitude toward politics during Chapter Seven?
2. At the time this story takes place, Einstein is living in what country?
3. Mrs. Einstein thinks her young son's problems are perhaps due to what?
4. During dinner, Maja tells her parents that her brother likes to do what?
5. As the war drags on, scientists in which country are planning to test Einstein's theory on the total eclipse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Einstein, a former pacifist, agrees to speak to President Roosevelt about the creation of an atomic bomb.
2. Describe Einstein's attempts to help those less fortunate refugees in Chapter Thirteen.
3. Explain Einstein's worries about the German Republic and his disturbing revelation in Marseilles.
4. The author states that relativity is not new, and she uses a train as an example. Explain this example. Why does the author use this example?
5. Why is Einstein asked not to return to the Luitpold Gymnasium?
6. Einstein brings national attention to Germany, so it seems logical that Hitler celebrates Einstein's success. This is not the case. Why?
7. In what ways is Elsa just what Einstein needs? Explain.
8. The reader learns that Einstein's work eventually leads other scientists to create the atom bomb. Why?
9. Why does Einstein get along better with his peers at the University than he does with his schoolmates previously?
10. Why is Einstein's international fame surprising?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)