|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1905, why don't other scientists know whether or not Einstein is correct?
(a) No one takes him seriously.
(b) No one understands his work well enough to do the experiments.
(c) No one is able to recreate the experiment.
(d) No one hears of his work.
2. At the time it is published, the popular saying about Einstein's famous theory is what?
(a) Only a dozen men in the world understand it.
(b) He is completely insane.
(c) The idea is an old one that everyone knows about.
(d) It changes the world.
3. Toward the end of Chapter One, Einstein finds a boy waiting for him on the porch. In what language does the boy speak to him?
4. According to Chapter One, what odd experience does Einstein have in Germany before he leaves?
(a) His whole family dies of a mysterious illness.
(b) He is first celebrated and then declared a traitor.
(c) He is pursued by the media.
(d) The whole country hates him.
5. In Chapter Six, a friend offers Einstein three positions in Berlin. Which of the following is NOT offered?
(a) The Science Institute of Berlin.
(b) Prussian Academy of Sciences of Berlin.
(c) Kaiser Wilhelm Institute of Berlin.
(d) University of Berlin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter Two ends with Mrs. Einstein expressing her desire that her son becomes what?
2. During Chapter Six, in which of the following cities do Einstein and his family NOT live?
3. What nickname do the boys at school give Albert?
4. The author says that Albert and Maja resemble each other strongly except for one feature. What is different about the children?
5. After Albert is asked not to return to his school, Hermann tells his son that he can't support him anymore. Why?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the author, how is the relationship between Einstein and Mileva during and after their divorce?
2. In Chapter Two, Pauline Einstein thinks that Albert is ill and sends him to bed early. What brings about the change in Albert's appearance, and why does his mother mistake it for illness?
3. Describe young Albert Einstein's feelings about school.
4. What is interesting about Einstein's approach to the customary visits usually undertaken by new staff members? What is the result of his decision?
5. Based on Einstein's dialogue with community members, what type of person does he seem to be in Chapter One?
6. According to the author, why does young Einstein not fit in at his school?
7. Why does the author specifically mention that Einstein answers the strange boy on the porch in German?
8. Why does Hermann Einstein say that an education is so important? He mentions that "a Jew needs one to get along nowadays." To what situation is Hermann referring?
9. As Einstein starts receiving professorships, why is Mileva still frustrated with their financial situation?
10. Do the townspeople respect Einstein at the beginning of the book?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)