|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When asked if the new Mrs. Einstein understands the theory of relativity, how does Einstein respond?
(a) She helps him come up with it.
(b) He never tries to explain it to her.
(c) She completely understands it.
(d) It totally confuses her.
2. During Chapter Two, Albert tells his father that he wants something specific for his upcoming birthday. What is it?
(a) A baseball bat.
(b) A horse.
(c) A compass.
(d) A chemistry set.
3. Mrs. Einstein worries that her son has difficulty in school. What reason does she NOT mention for being worried?
(a) No one knows what to expect from him.
(b) He is shy.
(c) He spends too much time dreaming.
(d) He is disrespectful.
4. Albert tells his uncle that being in school is like what?
(a) Sleep walking.
(b) Going to the doctor.
(c) Being a soldier.
(d) Going to prison.
5. How does Uncle Jake feel when Albert admits how he feels about school?
(c) Secretly sympathetic.
Short Answer Questions
1. Miss Dukas reproves Einstein for doing what toward the end of Chapter One?
2. In Chapter Two, the reader learns that Hermann Einstein does what for a living?
3. At the time this story takes place, Einstein is living in what country?
4. Einstein mentions that his father shows him a charm on a watch chain when he is about five. What is the charm?
5. What kind of school does Einstein find in Aarau in Chapter Four?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe young Albert Einstein's feelings about school.
2. What does Einstein's theory of relativity have to do with Michelson and Morley's experiment?
3. According to the author, why does young Einstein not fit in at his school?
4. Why does Mileva decide not to move with her husband to Berlin?
5. According to the author, how is the relationship between Einstein and Mileva during and after their divorce?
6. What is interesting about Einstein's approach to the customary visits usually undertaken by new staff members? What is the result of his decision?
7. The author states that relativity is not new, and she uses a train as an example. Explain this example. Why does the author use this example?
8. Based on Einstein's dialogue with community members, what type of person does he seem to be in Chapter One?
9. Why does Einstein not enjoy giving interviews?
10. Explain what happens to the group of German astronomers who plan to check Einstein's theory on light rays by observing a total eclipse.
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)