|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Albert's nursery governess says what about her experience taking the children to the park?
(a) Maja starts fights with other children.
(b) Albert always refuses to play with other children.
(c) She spends all her time knitting.
(d) It usually starts raining by the time they get there.
2. Mrs. Einstein thinks her son should have what when he turns six?
(a) Music lessons.
(b) Math lessons.
(c) History lessons.
(d) Speech lessons.
3. Why does Hermann Einstein know more about science than the average businessman?
(a) His son teaches him.
(b) He has a PhD in chemistry.
(c) His factory produces electrical and chemical supplies.
(d) He has read a great deal about science.
4. What kind of school does Einstein find in Aarau in Chapter Four?
(a) The same kind of school he attends in Munich.
(b) A lazy place where teachers don't expect much of students.
(c) A difficult school where he quickly grows bored.
(d) One where teachers really try to help their students learn.
5. Einstein encourages other scientists to check his theories, one of which requires a total eclipse. What prevents that experiment?
(a) Russian Civil War.
(b) World War 1.
(c) World War 2.
(d) Franco-Prussian War.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Chapter One, what odd experience does Einstein have in Germany before he leaves?
2. What impression does the reader have of Mileva's attitude toward her life during Chapter Six?
3. What nickname do the boys at school give Albert?
4. Einstein's work, and the work of scientists after him, eventually lead to the creation of what?
5. What is the result of the total eclipse expeditions in Chapter Seven?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why the author calls Einstein a false prophet at the beginning of Chapter Eight.
2. Describe Pauline Einstein. What kind of woman is she?
3. Why is Einstein asked not to return to the Luitpold Gymnasium?
4. Why is the job at the Patent Office a good position for Einstein? Explain.
5. Based on Einstein's dialogue with community members, what type of person does he seem to be in Chapter One?
6. What does Einstein's behavior after Elsa's death in Chapter Thirteen tell the reader about him? Is he insensitive?
7. In what ways is Elsa just what Einstein needs? Explain.
8. The Holocaust is not underway when Einstein elects not to return to Germany. Why does he decide to stay away from his homeland?
9. Why is Hitler's persecution of Einstein as a Jew ironic? Explain.
10. Describe Mr. Einstein's appearance at the opening of the book.
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)