|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Albert's nursery governess says what about her experience taking the children to the park?
(a) Albert always refuses to play with other children.
(b) She spends all her time knitting.
(c) It usually starts raining by the time they get there.
(d) Maja starts fights with other children.
2. After Albert is asked not to return to his school, Hermann tells his son that he can't support him anymore. Why?
(a) They no longer get along well.
(b) He is ready to retire.
(c) His electrical shops fail.
(d) Albert is too old to live at home.
3. In relation to Michelson and Morley's work, Einstein's theory claims what?
(a) The universe travels at the speed of sound.
(b) There is nothing in motion in the universe.
(c) Michelson and Morley do their experiment incorrectly.
(d) There is nothing absolutely at rest in the universe.
4. When finally able to test the theory, researchers discover what about Einstein's work?
(a) He is wrong.
(b) He makes it all up.
(c) He is correct.
(d) He makes no sense at all.
5. What kind of school does Einstein find in Aarau in Chapter Four?
(a) One where teachers really try to help their students learn.
(b) The same kind of school he attends in Munich.
(c) A lazy place where teachers don't expect much of students.
(d) A difficult school where he quickly grows bored.
Short Answer Questions
1. During Chapter Two, Albert tells his father that he wants something specific for his upcoming birthday. What is it?
2. How does Einstein refer to the way he feels about lecturing at the university?
3. As the war drags on, scientists in which country are planning to test Einstein's theory on the total eclipse?
4. Why doesn't Miss Dukas let the strange boy waiting for Einstein on the porch come inside the house?
5. According to Chapter One, what odd experience does Einstein have in Germany before he leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mileva decide not to move with her husband to Berlin?
2. Why is Einstein sometimes called the Newton of the twentieth century?
3. Why does Einstein get along better with his peers at the University than he does with his schoolmates previously?
4. In what ways is Elsa just what Einstein needs? Explain.
5. Why is the job at the Patent Office a good position for Einstein? Explain.
6. As Einstein starts receiving professorships, why is Mileva still frustrated with their financial situation?
7. Why does Hermann Einstein say that an education is so important? He mentions that "a Jew needs one to get along nowadays." To what situation is Hermann referring?
8. The reader learns that Einstein's work eventually leads other scientists to create the atom bomb. Why?
9. Describe Einstein's parents, Pauline and Hermann. What type of parents are they?
10. Describe Pauline Einstein. What kind of woman is she?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)