|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Hermann suggest his son ask about the compass?
(a) His mother.
(b) Uncle Jake.
(c) His teacher.
(d) Cousin Elma.
2. At the time it is published, the popular saying about Einstein's famous theory is what?
(a) It changes the world.
(b) The idea is an old one that everyone knows about.
(c) Only a dozen men in the world understand it.
(d) He is completely insane.
3. During dinner in Chapter Two, why is Mrs. Einstein impatient for the children to get finished with dinner?
(a) Albert needs to do his homework.
(b) They are having dessert.
(c) Her husband's employees are coming to enjoy some music.
(d) She and her husband have a date.
4. Mrs. Einstein thinks her young son's problems are perhaps due to what?
(a) He is a sickly child.
(b) He doesn't understand English.
(c) He is slow in learning to speak.
(d) He is a bad kid.
5. Toward the end of Chapter Two, Hermann finds Albert awake when he goes to check on the boy. Why does Albert say he's still awake?
(a) He doesn't feel well.
(b) He is thinking.
(c) He is mad at his sister.
(d) There is too much noise downstairs.
Short Answer Questions
1. On his walk at the opening of Chapter One, who does Einstein NOT greet?
2. According to Chapter One, what odd experience does Einstein have in Germany before he leaves?
3. As the war drags on, scientists in which country are planning to test Einstein's theory on the total eclipse?
4. What does Einstein's theory tell us about time and space?
5. How many students attend Einstein's first few lectures at the university in Chapter Six?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Einstein's view, as stated in Chapter Seven, on how scientists should behave in the global community.
2. In Chapter Two, Pauline Einstein thinks that Albert is ill and sends him to bed early. What brings about the change in Albert's appearance, and why does his mother mistake it for illness?
3. Why is the job at the Patent Office a good position for Einstein? Explain.
4. What is interesting about Einstein's approach to the customary visits usually undertaken by new staff members? What is the result of his decision?
5. As Einstein starts receiving professorships, why is Mileva still frustrated with their financial situation?
6. Why is Einstein asked not to return to the Luitpold Gymnasium?
7. Why is young Einstein disgusted with his music teacher? Explain.
8. Why do Michelson and Morley assume that their experiments are a failure?
9. Is it easy or difficult to manage a child like Albert? Explain.
10. Why does Einstein not enjoy giving interviews?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)