|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Albert tells his uncle that being in school is like what?
(a) Sleep walking.
(b) Being a soldier.
(c) Going to prison.
(d) Going to the doctor.
2. Chapter Five opens with Einstein presenting his paper on what?
(a) Theory of Space Travel.
(b) Theory of Gravity.
(c) Theory of Celestial Bodies.
(d) Theory of Relativity.
3. In 1905, why don't other scientists know whether or not Einstein is correct?
(a) No one understands his work well enough to do the experiments.
(b) No one is able to recreate the experiment.
(c) No one takes him seriously.
(d) No one hears of his work.
4. During dinner in Chapter Two, why is Mrs. Einstein impatient for the children to get finished with dinner?
(a) Her husband's employees are coming to enjoy some music.
(b) Albert needs to do his homework.
(c) They are having dessert.
(d) She and her husband have a date.
5. A boy in the coffee shop makes fun of Einstein as an absent-minded professor. How does the shop owner respond?
(a) He ignores the comment.
(b) He reproves the boy and says Einstein is the smartest man in the world.
(c) He laughs and joins in on the joke.
(d) He throws the boy out of his shop.
Short Answer Questions
1. Albert's mother usually lets him stay up late to listen to music, but tonight she sends him to bed. Why?
2. What is Einstein's attitude toward politics during Chapter Seven?
3. When Einstein graduates from the University of Zurich, what degree is he awarded?
4. Mrs. Einstein worries that her son has difficulty in school. What reason does she NOT mention for being worried?
5. Mileva decides to add to the household income by supplementing her husband's university job with income from what?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways is Elsa just what Einstein needs? Explain.
2. The reader learns that Einstein's work eventually leads other scientists to create the atom bomb. Why?
3. Why does Hermann Einstein say that an education is so important? He mentions that "a Jew needs one to get along nowadays." To what situation is Hermann referring?
4. Why is Einstein sometimes called the Newton of the twentieth century?
5. Why does Einstein not enjoy giving interviews?
6. Why is young Einstein disgusted with his music teacher? Explain.
7. Why does Einstein get along better with his peers at the University than he does with his schoolmates previously?
8. Why do Michelson and Morley assume that their experiments are a failure?
9. Describe young Albert Einstein's feelings about school.
10. Describe Einstein's parents, Pauline and Hermann. What type of parents are they?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)