|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Toward the end of Chapter One, Einstein finds a boy waiting for him on the porch. In what language does the boy speak to him?
2. Einstein mentions that his father shows him a charm on a watch chain when he is about five. What is the charm?
(a) A compass.
(b) A dog.
(c) A planet.
(d) A fish.
3. During dinner in Chapter Two, why is Mrs. Einstein impatient for the children to get finished with dinner?
(a) Albert needs to do his homework.
(b) They are having dessert.
(c) She and her husband have a date.
(d) Her husband's employees are coming to enjoy some music.
4. How does Uncle Jake feel when Albert admits how he feels about school?
(c) Secretly sympathetic.
5. When Mrs. Einstein asks how Albert gets his nickname at school, what does he tell her?
(a) He is usually mean to other kids.
(b) He always asks dumb questions.
(c) One of the teachers calls him that, and it sticks.
(d) He doesn't tell a lie to the teacher to stay out of trouble.
Short Answer Questions
1. Einstein meets Mileva Maritsch at his new school. On what do they spend most of their time?
2. Shortly after the Einstein family relocates to Prague, Einstein is offered a full professorship where?
3. After dinner, Albert claims he'll be able to sleep better if he can take what to bed?
4. Toward the end of Chapter Three, Albert tells his father that he wishes to attend what institution?
5. Why is Albert glad that his uncle doesn't ask about his friends at school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe young Albert Einstein's feelings about school.
2. Based on Einstein's dialogue with community members, what type of person does he seem to be in Chapter One?
3. What does Einstein's theory of relativity have to do with Michelson and Morley's experiment?
4. The author states that relativity is not new, and she uses a train as an example. Explain this example. Why does the author use this example?
5. Why does Einstein not enjoy giving interviews?
6. In Chapter Two, Pauline Einstein thinks that Albert is ill and sends him to bed early. What brings about the change in Albert's appearance, and why does his mother mistake it for illness?
7. Describe Mr. Einstein's appearance at the opening of the book.
8. Do the townspeople respect Einstein at the beginning of the book?
9. Explain Einstein's view, as stated in Chapter Seven, on how scientists should behave in the global community.
10. Why is the job at the Patent Office a good position for Einstein? Explain.
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)