|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many students attend Einstein's first few lectures at the university in Chapter Six?
2. What does Einstein's famous formula mean?
(a) Energy equals mass times the speed of light squared.
(b) Energy equals motion times the speed of sound squared.
(c) Energy equals mass times the speed of sound cubed.
(d) Energy equals motion times the speed of light.
3. In his spare time from work at the patent office, what does Einstein invent?
(a) A formula to measure the energy of the sun.
(b) A better way to measure gravity.
(c) A new way to calculate distance.
(d) A device for measuring small electric charges.
4. The reader learns that Einstein helps a girl understand a math question. How is she going to repay him for his help?
(a) An ice cream cone.
(b) Run errands for him.
(c) Clean his house.
5. Why is Albert kicked out of school in Chapter Two?
(a) He starts too many fights.
(b) He is absent too often.
(c) He asks too many questions and makes the teacher look bad.
(d) He makes rude comments about his teachers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Toward the end of Chapter One, Einstein finds a boy waiting for him on the porch. In what language does the boy speak to him?
2. The boy Miss Dukas leaves on the porch mentions to Einstein that his family all die in concentration camps, and that he is from what city?
3. Miss Dukas reproves Einstein for doing what toward the end of Chapter One?
4. Einstein mentions that his father shows him a charm on a watch chain when he is about five. What is the charm?
5. What nickname do the boys at school give Albert?
Short Essay Questions
1. The author states that relativity is not new, and she uses a train as an example. Explain this example. Why does the author use this example?
2. Why is Einstein sometimes called the Newton of the twentieth century?
3. Explain what happens to the group of German astronomers who plan to check Einstein's theory on light rays by observing a total eclipse.
4. Describe Mileva Maritsch's frustrations with her marriage to Einstein. Is it Einstein with whom she is displeased, or something else?
5. Based on Einstein's dialogue with community members, what type of person does he seem to be in Chapter One?
6. Do the townspeople respect Einstein at the beginning of the book?
7. Why does the author specifically mention that Einstein answers the strange boy on the porch in German?
8. Describe Mr. Einstein's appearance at the opening of the book.
9. Why does Einstein change his mind about granting the boy from the porch an interview?
10. According to the author, why does young Einstein not fit in at his school?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)