|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter Fourteen, some of Einstein's colleagues ask him to set up a meeting with ________ to discuss their work on the atom bomb.
(a) President Truman.
(b) President Roosevelt.
(c) President Hoover.
(d) President Taft.
2. What sad event happens to the Einstein family during Chapter Thirteen?
(a) Elsa dies.
(b) Maja dies.
(c) Hermann dies.
(d) Ilse dies.
3. Though he has enemies in political circles, why os Einstein is happy during Chapter Nine?
(a) He feels sure it ends soon.
(b) He doesn't care about politics.
(c) Common people still love him.
(d) World leaders appreciate his work.
4. The author mentions three ways Einstein behaves toward all admirers. Which of the following is NOT mentioned?
(a) He wins people with warmth and sincerity.
(b) He is always himself.
(c) He speaks only to those he considers as smart as himself.
(d) He never tries to impress anyone.
5. After children sing carols at the Einstein house for Christmas, what reward does he offer them?
(a) He goes with them.
(b) Some cookies.
(c) Math lessons.
(d) A few pennies.
6. Why does Einstein decide not to accept the offered professorship in Jerusalem after leaving Germany?
(a) He thinks Hitler might invade Jerusalem.
(b) His wife is not able to tolerate the climate.
(c) Younger, less famous scientist refugees need jobs there.
(d) He doesn't like the University.
7. Toward the end of Chapter Thirteen, what happens to Elsa Einstein?
(a) She decides to divorce her husband.
(b) She is robbed while walking to the store.
(c) She becomes very depressed.
(d) She becomes very ill.
8. A major event takes place in Einstein's family in Chapter Ten. What is it?
(a) Elsa becomes ill.
(b) Margot gets married.
(c) Pauline dies.
(d) Hermann loses his job.
9. Einstein is very happy to travel to California as Chapter Eleven begins because he gets to meet ______________, one of his early inspirations.
(c) Madame Curie.
10. At the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, Einstein finally resumes his research on what?
(a) Photoelectric effect.
(b) Thermodynamic fluctuation.
(d) Gravitational fields.
11. How long does it take Einstein to become a US citizen?
(a) Five years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Six months.
(d) Twenty years.
12. Einstein adopts a terrier pup in Chapter Fourteen. What is the name of the dog?
13. To which country do the Einsteins move after leaving America?
14. As Chapter Twelve ends, the Einsteins are once again headed for what country?
15. The author ends the book by quoting what important person?
(a) President Taft.
(b) Mrs. Einstein.
(c) President Eisenhower.
(d) Hans Albert Einstein.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is present when Einstein dies at the end of Chapter Fourteen?
2. Einstein returns to work at the end of Chapter Thirteen. Why is this unusual?
3. Elsa Einstein notes in an interview that "To be the wife of this man..."
4. Some members of the city council in Berlin oppose giving Einstein a gift. In exasperation, Einstein does what?
5. When asked by a reporter if he is happy in America, how does Einstein respond?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)