|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Einstein decides in Chapter Twelve that he sends a letter of resignation to the Academy at Berlin. What is the response?
(a) They do not regret his resignation.
(b) They do not respond at all.
(c) They see it as proof that Einstein is a Communist.
(d) They are saddened that he feels resignation necessary.
2. When asked by the Archbishop what effect his theory has on religion, what does Einstein answer?
(a) It makes religion more important.
(b) It makes religion irrelevant.
(d) It destroys religion completely.
3. How does Einstein finally decide to deal with the autograph requests in Chapter Eight?
(a) Stops answering them completely.
(b) Declares that the request must include money for charity.
(c) Refuses to sign any more.
(d) Has a stamp of his signature made and has his wife answer them.
4. Mrs. Einstein is frightened and alarmed when she hears what report in Chapter Twelve?
(a) Her children are still in Germany.
(b) Their home in Germany is claimed by the government.
(c) That people think Einstein is Communist.
(d) Nazis offer money for Einstein to be assassinated.
5. During Chapter Nine, how does Mrs. Einstein begin to feel about their fame?
(a) She is concerned about how it affects her children.
(b) She is growing frustrated with it all.
(c) She is happier than ever.
(d) She doesn't wish to return home to their former life.
6. A major event takes place in Einstein's family in Chapter Ten. What is it?
(a) Margot gets married.
(b) Pauline dies.
(c) Hermann loses his job.
(d) Elsa becomes ill.
7. Einstein mentions during the Berlin gift nonsense that it "becomes an excuse for many people for the best thing there is in life:________".
(a) "I mean entertainment."
(b) "I mean a laugh."
(c) "I mean debate."
(d) "I mean money."
8. Einstein resigns from the Commission for the Co-operation of Intellectuals after a year because he realizes what about the organization?
(a) They are only interested in making money.
(b) They are only interesting in the smaller countries.
(c) They are only interested in stopping Communism.
(d) They are only interested in helping the powerful members.
9. In the opening of Chapter Ten, the author mentions that the ____________ is one of the greatest honors that comes to any scientist, writer, or humanitarian.
(a) National Medal of Science.
(b) Nobel Prize.
(c) MacArthur Genius Award.
(d) International Leadership Award.
10. Einstein receives several gifts as he prepares to leave the US. What is his attitude toward these gifts?
(a) He thinks Americans are crazy.
(b) He doesn't like them.
(c) He is puzzled.
(d) He believes he deserves them.
11. What is Einstein's position on pacifism as he ages and as tension once again rises in Europe?
(a) He doesn't think about it any longer.
(b) He writes papers on what a good idea pacifism is.
(c) He is no longer a pacifist.
(d) He is more strongly pacifist.
12. Some members of the city council in Berlin oppose giving Einstein a gift. In exasperation, Einstein does what?
(a) Moves to Munich.
(b) Tries to have the opposition fired.
(c) Refuses the gift.
(d) Makes a speech about the council.
13. After Einstein becomes famous, the visitors coming to the house want a variety of things. Which of the following is NOT one of their demands?
(a) That he listens to theory/invention proposals.
(b) That he gives an autograph.
(c) That he grants an interview.
(d) That he takes a better job.
14. Einstein adopts a terrier pup in Chapter Fourteen. What is the name of the dog?
15. On the way home from the trip to Japan, Einstein cannot resist an invitation to visit what country?
Short Answer Questions
1. As Einstein grows older, he discovers that he enjoys a new hobby. What is it?
2. What sad event happens to the Einstein family during Chapter Thirteen?
3. During the racial purge of German Universities, which of the following groups are NOT fired?
4. Einstein is worried toward the end of Chapter Ten because he learns that it is not safe to do what in Marseilles, France?
5. In Hitler's eyes, Einstein is guilty because he is all BUT WHICH of the following?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)