|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Einstein's peers feel he has what attitude toward his country during Chapter Nine?
2. Einstein adopts a terrier pup in Chapter Fourteen. What is the name of the dog?
3. Of the following, who is NOT present at Einstein's welcome to America in Chapter Eleven?
(a) Dr. Butler.
(b) John D. Rockefeller, Jr.
(c) Mayor Walker.
(d) President Taft.
4. Which of the following does the author NOT mention as current possible benefits of atomic power?
(a) Conquering poverty.
(b) Conquering diseases.
(c) Conquering deserts.
(d) Conquering other countries.
5. Why is Einstein's assistant, Infeld, unable to answer a reporter's question on what Einstein thinks of the book they co-write?
(a) Infeld doesn't have time to answer the question.
(b) Einstein never opens the book.
(c) Infeld doesn't speak English.
(d) Einstein doesn't like it, and Infeld doesn't want to say that.
6. What is Einstein's position on pacifism as he ages and as tension once again rises in Europe?
(a) He is no longer a pacifist.
(b) He is more strongly pacifist.
(c) He doesn't think about it any longer.
(d) He writes papers on what a good idea pacifism is.
7. The Einsteins leave the children at home in Chapter Nine in order to take a trip through what region?
(a) The Orient.
(b) The Balkans.
(c) The Middle East.
(d) The United States.
8. Einstein resigns from the Commission for the Co-operation of Intellectuals after a year because he realizes what about the organization?
(a) They are only interested in stopping Communism.
(b) They are only interesting in the smaller countries.
(c) They are only interested in helping the powerful members.
(d) They are only interested in making money.
9. What does Einstein do after his retirement in Chapter Fourteen?
(a) Visits friends.
(b) Continues figuring out new theories.
(c) Travels around the world.
(d) Sleeps a lot.
10. The author mentions three ways Einstein behaves toward all admirers. Which of the following is NOT mentioned?
(a) He never tries to impress anyone.
(b) He speaks only to those he considers as smart as himself.
(c) He wins people with warmth and sincerity.
(d) He is always himself.
11. Why does Einstein decide not to accept the offered professorship in Jerusalem after leaving Germany?
(a) He thinks Hitler might invade Jerusalem.
(b) Younger, less famous scientist refugees need jobs there.
(c) He doesn't like the University.
(d) His wife is not able to tolerate the climate.
12. What is Einstein's attitude toward the murder of Walter Rathenau, Minister of Foreign Affairs, at the opening of Chapter Nine?
(a) He is shocked and worried about the anti-Semitism rising in Germany.
(b) He doesn't feel that it makes a difference in his life.
(c) He thinks Rathenau has it coming.
(d) He believes the man should be more careful.
13. The city of Berlin decides to give Einstein what for his 50th birthday?
(a) A beautiful plaque in appreciation.
(b) A park bearing his name.
(c) A statue in the center of town.
(d) A new house on the river.
14. Einstein decides in Chapter Twelve that he sends a letter of resignation to the Academy at Berlin. What is the response?
(a) They do not respond at all.
(b) They do not regret his resignation.
(c) They see it as proof that Einstein is a Communist.
(d) They are saddened that he feels resignation necessary.
15. At the close of Chapter Eleven, Einstein is asked about Hitler. What answer does he give?
(a) "I do not enjoy Mr. Hitler's acquaintance."
(b) "I don't know who you're talking about."
(c) "You soon see what kind of man Mr. Hitler is."
(d) "Hitler is an amazing man."
Short Answer Questions
1. The author ends the book by quoting what important person?
2. During Chapter Nine, how does Mrs. Einstein begin to feel about their fame?
3. In Chapter Fourteen, some of Einstein's colleagues ask him to set up a meeting with ________ to discuss their work on the atom bomb.
4. One of the people who attends Einstein's lecture in Paris is _____.
5. What is Einstein's attitude about his new celebrity status at the beginning of Chapter Eight?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)