|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author mentions three ways Einstein behaves toward all admirers. Which of the following is NOT mentioned?
(a) He speaks only to those he considers as smart as himself.
(b) He never tries to impress anyone.
(c) He wins people with warmth and sincerity.
(d) He is always himself.
2. Hitler claims that all BUT WHICH group causes Germany to lose World War I?
3. How does the new prestige of the award from Chapter Ten affect Einstein's behavior?
(a) He withdraws from the public.
(b) He grows angry and bitter.
(c) He becomes more refined.
(d) He does not change his simple habits.
4. During the racial purge of German Universities, which of the following groups are NOT fired?
(a) Those married to Jewish women.
(d) Older professors.
5. What is Einstein's attitude about his new celebrity status at the beginning of Chapter Eight?
(a) He knows he'll be famous forever.
(b) He hopes it lasts a long time.
(c) He is excited and enjoying it.
(d) He's convinced it dies down in three months or so.
6. In the opening of Chapter Ten, the author mentions that the ____________ is one of the greatest honors that comes to any scientist, writer, or humanitarian.
(a) National Medal of Science.
(b) Nobel Prize.
(c) International Leadership Award.
(d) MacArthur Genius Award.
7. The Einsteins leave the children at home in Chapter Nine in order to take a trip through what region?
(a) The Orient.
(b) The United States.
(c) The Middle East.
(d) The Balkans.
8. The President of Columbia University, in his introduction, says that Dr. Einstein gives the world...?
(a) "an intellectual lighthouse."
(b) "a grand new future."
(c) "nothing special."
(d) "a way to build weapons."
9. Mrs. Einstein is frightened and alarmed when she hears what report in Chapter Twelve?
(a) That people think Einstein is Communist.
(b) Nazis offer money for Einstein to be assassinated.
(c) Their home in Germany is claimed by the government.
(d) Her children are still in Germany.
10. The city of Berlin decides to give Einstein what for his 50th birthday?
(a) A new house on the river.
(b) A statue in the center of town.
(c) A park bearing his name.
(d) A beautiful plaque in appreciation.
11. What sad event happens to the Einstein family during Chapter Thirteen?
(a) Hermann dies.
(b) Ilse dies.
(c) Elsa dies.
(d) Maja dies.
12. Einstein receives several gifts as he prepares to leave the US. What is his attitude toward these gifts?
(a) He believes he deserves them.
(b) He thinks Americans are crazy.
(c) He doesn't like them.
(d) He is puzzled.
13. On the way home from the trip to Japan, Einstein cannot resist an invitation to visit what country?
14. One of the people who attends Einstein's lecture in Paris is _____.
(a) Rachel Carson.
(b) Virginia Apgar.
(c) Madame Curie.
(d) Rosalind Franklin.
15. What universities does Einstein NOT visit on his trip in Chapter Eight?
(b) Cal Tech.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what aspect of New York is Einstein frustrated?
2. In what area does Mrs. Einstein excel?
3. In Chapter Thirteen, Infeld says of the professor, "Once a work is finished his interest in it ____".
4. Once the atomic bomb is built and tested, how does Einstein recommend the US proceed?
5. As the Einsteins prepare to return to California in 1932, Dr. Einstein tells his wife to take a long look at their house. Why?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)