|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Einstein grants one final interview to a young man in the safety of his cabin in Chapter Ten. Why does he grant this interview?
(a) The man threatens to blackmail him.
(b) Elsa begs him to grant it.
(c) Because he is friends with the man's parents.
(d) So the young man doesn't lose his job.
2. As Chapter Twelve ends, the Einsteins are once again headed for what country?
3. Einstein learns he is awarded what distinction at the end of Chapter Nine?
(a) Nobel Prize.
(b) National Medal of Science.
(c) International Leadership Award.
(d) MacArthur Genius Award.
4. Einstein is worried toward the end of Chapter Ten because he learns that it is not safe to do what in Marseilles, France?
(a) Appear American.
(b) Work in schools.
(c) Speak German.
(d) Go for a walk.
5. What sad event happens to the Einstein family during Chapter Thirteen?
(a) Hermann dies.
(b) Ilse dies.
(c) Elsa dies.
(d) Maja dies.
6. Einstein receives several gifts as he prepares to leave the US. What is his attitude toward these gifts?
(a) He thinks Americans are crazy.
(b) He believes he deserves them.
(c) He doesn't like them.
(d) He is puzzled.
7. Some members of the city council in Berlin oppose giving Einstein a gift. In exasperation, Einstein does what?
(a) Makes a speech about the council.
(b) Tries to have the opposition fired.
(c) Refuses the gift.
(d) Moves to Munich.
8. How does Einstein finally decide to deal with the autograph requests in Chapter Eight?
(a) Stops answering them completely.
(b) Has a stamp of his signature made and has his wife answer them.
(c) Refuses to sign any more.
(d) Declares that the request must include money for charity.
9. What is ironic about Hitler's attitude toward Einstein in Chapter Twelve?
(a) Einstein doesn't live in Germany.
(b) Einstein is not particularly tied to his religion.
(c) Einstein agrees with Hitler's policies.
(d) Einstein makes Hitler famous.
10. Why does Einstein decide not to accept the offered professorship in Jerusalem after leaving Germany?
(a) He doesn't like the University.
(b) His wife is not able to tolerate the climate.
(c) Younger, less famous scientist refugees need jobs there.
(d) He thinks Hitler might invade Jerusalem.
11. Which of the following does the author NOT mention as current possible benefits of atomic power?
(a) Conquering other countries.
(b) Conquering diseases.
(c) Conquering deserts.
(d) Conquering poverty.
12. Einstein has a medical issue in Chapter Ten. While in Switzerland, he has a ___________.
(a) Broken hip.
(b) Brain tumor.
(d) Heart attack.
13. Einstein resigns from the Commission for the Co-operation of Intellectuals after a year because he realizes what about the organization?
(a) They are only interesting in the smaller countries.
(b) They are only interested in stopping Communism.
(c) They are only interested in helping the powerful members.
(d) They are only interested in making money.
14. After Einstein's meeting with the German consul, one of the staff says what about Einstein's decision not to return to Germany?
(a) It is a wise decision.
(b) It is a foolish decision.
(c) He is being selfish.
(d) He is worried about nothing.
15. With what aspect of New York is Einstein frustrated?
(a) The people are not very friendly toward his wife.
(b) The food is terrible and he has an upset stomach the whole trip.
(c) The museums are not as nice as he hopes.
(d) He cannot go on sight-seeing trips without being recognized.
Short Answer Questions
1. One of the people who attends Einstein's lecture in Paris is _____.
2. Besides the honor of the award in Chapter Ten, Einstein also receives what?
3. Einstein adopts a terrier pup in Chapter Fourteen. What is the name of the dog?
4. A young man approaches Einstein, wanting to discuss the possibility of his formula being used to create explosives. How does Einstein respond?
5. Once the atomic bomb is built and tested, how does Einstein recommend the US proceed?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)