|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the close of Chapter Eleven, Einstein is asked about Hitler. What answer does he give?
(a) "I do not enjoy Mr. Hitler's acquaintance."
(b) "I don't know who you're talking about."
(c) "You soon see what kind of man Mr. Hitler is."
(d) "Hitler is an amazing man."
2. Einstein gives a gift to the Hebrew University in Jerusalem in Chapter Thirteen. What is the gift?
(a) His original manuscripts on the relativity theory.
(b) Everything in his estate.
(c) An enormous amount of money.
(d) The house he owns in Germany.
3. With what aspect of New York is Einstein frustrated?
(a) He cannot go on sight-seeing trips without being recognized.
(b) The people are not very friendly toward his wife.
(c) The museums are not as nice as he hopes.
(d) The food is terrible and he has an upset stomach the whole trip.
4. Einstein's peers feel he has what attitude toward his country during Chapter Nine?
5. What does Einstein do after his retirement in Chapter Fourteen?
(a) Sleeps a lot.
(b) Travels around the world.
(c) Continues figuring out new theories.
(d) Visits friends.
6. Why is Einstein's assistant, Infeld, unable to answer a reporter's question on what Einstein thinks of the book they co-write?
(a) Infeld doesn't have time to answer the question.
(b) Infeld doesn't speak English.
(c) Einstein never opens the book.
(d) Einstein doesn't like it, and Infeld doesn't want to say that.
7. Elsa Einstein notes in an interview that "To be the wife of this man..."
(a) "is absolutely wonderful."
(b) "is very entertaining."
(c) "is a huge nuisance."
(d) "is very difficult."
8. Though he has enemies in political circles, why os Einstein is happy during Chapter Nine?
(a) Common people still love him.
(b) World leaders appreciate his work.
(c) He doesn't care about politics.
(d) He feels sure it ends soon.
9. In what area does Mrs. Einstein excel?
(a) Complex things like writing new theories.
(b) Difficult tasks such as redecorating the house.
(c) Common things like tipping people and keeping track of bills.
(d) Simple things like writing letters.
10. The author mentions three ways Einstein behaves toward all admirers. Which of the following is NOT mentioned?
(a) He is always himself.
(b) He wins people with warmth and sincerity.
(c) He speaks only to those he considers as smart as himself.
(d) He never tries to impress anyone.
11. During Chapter Eight, Einstein tells his wife to pack as he intends to travel to which country?
12. Why does Einstein decide not to accept the offered professorship in Jerusalem after leaving Germany?
(a) His wife is not able to tolerate the climate.
(b) He doesn't like the University.
(c) He thinks Hitler might invade Jerusalem.
(d) Younger, less famous scientist refugees need jobs there.
13. The Commission for the Co-operation of Intellectuals is a part of which world organization?
(a) The Security Council.
(b) The League of Nations.
(c) The G20.
(d) The United Nations.
14. What is Einstein's attitude about his new celebrity status at the beginning of Chapter Eight?
(a) He's convinced it dies down in three months or so.
(b) He is excited and enjoying it.
(c) He hopes it lasts a long time.
(d) He knows he'll be famous forever.
15. The author gives three reasons why some scientists disagree with Einstein's work. Which of the following does the author NOT mention?
(a) They really believe he is wrong.
(b) They say it is impossible to take relativity seriously.
(c) They are jealous.
(d) They are after his job.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the tour of Japan, Einstein's guide says that Einstein offends Japanese people. How?
2. Toward the end of Chapter Thirteen, what happens to Elsa Einstein?
3. Einstein learns he is awarded what distinction at the end of Chapter Nine?
4. What part of California do the Einsteins NOT enjoy?
5. Einstein adopts a terrier pup in Chapter Fourteen. What is the name of the dog?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)