|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Einstein is very happy to travel to California as Chapter Eleven begins because he gets to meet ______________, one of his early inspirations.
(c) Madame Curie.
2. Though he has enemies in political circles, why os Einstein is happy during Chapter Nine?
(a) He feels sure it ends soon.
(b) He doesn't care about politics.
(c) Common people still love him.
(d) World leaders appreciate his work.
3. A young man approaches Einstein, wanting to discuss the possibility of his formula being used to create explosives. How does Einstein respond?
(a) He dismisses the idea as foolish.
(b) He is horrified.
(c) He angrily tells the young man to leave.
(d) He agrees to meet with the young man later.
4. Einstein has a medical issue in Chapter Ten. While in Switzerland, he has a ___________.
(b) Broken hip.
(c) Brain tumor.
(d) Heart attack.
5. In what year does Einstein die?
6. After Einstein's meeting with the German consul, one of the staff says what about Einstein's decision not to return to Germany?
(a) He is worried about nothing.
(b) It is a wise decision.
(c) It is a foolish decision.
(d) He is being selfish.
7. What part of California do the Einsteins NOT enjoy?
(a) Pacific ocean.
(b) Good weather.
(c) Beautiful foothills.
(d) Great hotel.
8. Einstein returns to work at the end of Chapter Thirteen. Why is this unusual?
(a) He has no work to do.
(b) It is the holidays.
(c) His wife dies a few days earlier.
(d) He is no longer being paid.
9. Elsa Einstein notes in an interview that "To be the wife of this man..."
(a) "is very entertaining."
(b) "is absolutely wonderful."
(c) "is very difficult."
(d) "is a huge nuisance."
10. Einstein doesn't usually enjoy movies, but he does appreciate the one he attends as a guest of which movie star in Chapter Eleven?
(a) Clark Gable.
(b) Fred Astaire.
(c) Charlie Chaplin.
(d) Shirley Temple.
11. What is Einstein's attitude toward the murder of Walter Rathenau, Minister of Foreign Affairs, at the opening of Chapter Nine?
(a) He doesn't feel that it makes a difference in his life.
(b) He is shocked and worried about the anti-Semitism rising in Germany.
(c) He thinks Rathenau has it coming.
(d) He believes the man should be more careful.
12. During the tour of Japan, Einstein's guide says that Einstein offends Japanese people. How?
(a) He does not put on a clean coat for the lecture.
(b) He does not greet the mayor appropriately.
(c) His lecture does not last four hours like the first.
(d) He does not bother to learn Japanese.
13. The author ends the book by quoting what important person?
(a) President Taft.
(b) Hans Albert Einstein.
(c) President Eisenhower.
(d) Mrs. Einstein.
14. With what aspect of New York is Einstein frustrated?
(a) The food is terrible and he has an upset stomach the whole trip.
(b) He cannot go on sight-seeing trips without being recognized.
(c) The people are not very friendly toward his wife.
(d) The museums are not as nice as he hopes.
15. During Chapter Nine, how does Mrs. Einstein begin to feel about their fame?
(a) She is happier than ever.
(b) She is concerned about how it affects her children.
(c) She doesn't wish to return home to their former life.
(d) She is growing frustrated with it all.
Short Answer Questions
1. With which detractors of his theories does Einstein grow particularly angry?
2. Why does Einstein decide not to accept the offered professorship in Jerusalem after leaving Germany?
3. How long does it take Einstein to become a US citizen?
4. What is Mrs. Einstein's role in her husband's new fame?
5. Some members of the city council in Berlin oppose giving Einstein a gift. In exasperation, Einstein does what?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)