|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Once the atomic bomb is built and tested, how does Einstein recommend the US proceed?
(a) Warn enemy nations of the bomb's potential.
(b) Use the bomb on any nation with which the US disagrees.
(c) Never use the bomb.
(d) Bomb one or two enemy nations.
2. Toward the end of Chapter Thirteen, what happens to Elsa Einstein?
(a) She is robbed while walking to the store.
(b) She decides to divorce her husband.
(c) She becomes very depressed.
(d) She becomes very ill.
3. The author ends the book by quoting what important person?
(a) President Taft.
(b) Hans Albert Einstein.
(c) Mrs. Einstein.
(d) President Eisenhower.
4. Some members of the city council in Berlin oppose giving Einstein a gift. In exasperation, Einstein does what?
(a) Refuses the gift.
(b) Tries to have the opposition fired.
(c) Moves to Munich.
(d) Makes a speech about the council.
5. How does the new prestige of the award from Chapter Ten affect Einstein's behavior?
(a) He does not change his simple habits.
(b) He withdraws from the public.
(c) He grows angry and bitter.
(d) He becomes more refined.
6. The author mentions three ways Einstein behaves toward all admirers. Which of the following is NOT mentioned?
(a) He never tries to impress anyone.
(b) He speaks only to those he considers as smart as himself.
(c) He wins people with warmth and sincerity.
(d) He is always himself.
7. In Chapter Fourteen, some of Einstein's colleagues ask him to set up a meeting with ________ to discuss their work on the atom bomb.
(a) President Truman.
(b) President Taft.
(c) President Hoover.
(d) President Roosevelt.
8. What is Einstein's attitude about his new celebrity status at the beginning of Chapter Eight?
(a) He knows he'll be famous forever.
(b) He's convinced it dies down in three months or so.
(c) He is excited and enjoying it.
(d) He hopes it lasts a long time.
9. After Einstein becomes famous, the visitors coming to the house want a variety of things. Which of the following is NOT one of their demands?
(a) That he takes a better job.
(b) That he grants an interview.
(c) That he gives an autograph.
(d) That he listens to theory/invention proposals.
10. In what year does Einstein die?
11. As the Einsteins prepare to return to California in 1932, Dr. Einstein tells his wife to take a long look at their house. Why?
(a) It is a long trip and they won't see it for several months.
(b) He is considering selling it and wants Elsa's opinion.
(c) He has a feeling they won't be returning.
(d) He intends to find one like it in America.
12. The author gives three reasons why some scientists disagree with Einstein's work. Which of the following does the author NOT mention?
(a) They say it is impossible to take relativity seriously.
(b) They really believe he is wrong.
(c) They are after his job.
(d) They are jealous.
13. What is Mrs. Einstein's role in her husband's new fame?
(a) She dislikes the whole mess and usually stays in her room.
(b) She plays hostess to all their visitors.
(c) She is disgusted that he is not more interested in his fans.
(d) She tries to keep visitors and letters manageable.
14. Mrs. Einstein is frightened and alarmed when she hears what report in Chapter Twelve?
(a) Her children are still in Germany.
(b) Nazis offer money for Einstein to be assassinated.
(c) That people think Einstein is Communist.
(d) Their home in Germany is claimed by the government.
15. In the opening of Chapter Ten, the author mentions that the ____________ is one of the greatest honors that comes to any scientist, writer, or humanitarian.
(a) International Leadership Award.
(b) National Medal of Science.
(c) Nobel Prize.
(d) MacArthur Genius Award.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Einstein finally decide to deal with the autograph requests in Chapter Eight?
2. Why does Einstein agree to write to the President to discuss the atomic bomb?
3. A major event takes place in Einstein's family in Chapter Ten. What is it?
4. One of the people who attends Einstein's lecture in Paris is _____.
5. Elsa Einstein notes in an interview that "To be the wife of this man..."
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)