|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what area does Mrs. Einstein excel?
(a) Common things like tipping people and keeping track of bills.
(b) Complex things like writing new theories.
(c) Simple things like writing letters.
(d) Difficult tasks such as redecorating the house.
2. What is Einstein's position on pacifism as he ages and as tension once again rises in Europe?
(a) He is no longer a pacifist.
(b) He doesn't think about it any longer.
(c) He writes papers on what a good idea pacifism is.
(d) He is more strongly pacifist.
3. The Commission for the Co-operation of Intellectuals is a part of which world organization?
(a) The United Nations.
(b) The League of Nations.
(c) The G20.
(d) The Security Council.
4. One of the people who attends Einstein's lecture in Paris is _____.
(a) Rachel Carson.
(b) Madame Curie.
(c) Rosalind Franklin.
(d) Virginia Apgar.
5. Einstein gives a gift to the Hebrew University in Jerusalem in Chapter Thirteen. What is the gift?
(a) Everything in his estate.
(b) His original manuscripts on the relativity theory.
(c) An enormous amount of money.
(d) The house he owns in Germany.
6. As the Einsteins prepare to return to California in 1932, Dr. Einstein tells his wife to take a long look at their house. Why?
(a) He is considering selling it and wants Elsa's opinion.
(b) It is a long trip and they won't see it for several months.
(c) He has a feeling they won't be returning.
(d) He intends to find one like it in America.
7. Einstein is very happy to travel to California as Chapter Eleven begins because he gets to meet ______________, one of his early inspirations.
(c) Madame Curie.
8. What does Einstein do after his retirement in Chapter Fourteen?
(a) Sleeps a lot.
(b) Travels around the world.
(c) Visits friends.
(d) Continues figuring out new theories.
9. The author ends the book by quoting what important person?
(a) President Taft.
(b) Hans Albert Einstein.
(c) President Eisenhower.
(d) Mrs. Einstein.
10. The author mentions three ways Einstein behaves toward all admirers. Which of the following is NOT mentioned?
(a) He wins people with warmth and sincerity.
(b) He speaks only to those he considers as smart as himself.
(c) He never tries to impress anyone.
(d) He is always himself.
11. Why does Einstein agree to write to the President to discuss the atomic bomb?
(a) He knows the Nazis eventually build an atom bomb.
(b) He doesn't think it can be done anyway.
(c) He hopes to be rewarded by the President.
(d) He can't refuse to help his friends.
12. When asked by a reporter if he is happy in America, how does Einstein respond?
(a) "I am much happier when I leave it."
(b) "I am very happy if I ever get to see it."
(c) "I don't mind living here."
(d) "I think this place is a dump."
13. Einstein has a medical issue in Chapter Ten. While in Switzerland, he has a ___________.
(a) Broken hip.
(b) Brain tumor.
(c) Heart attack.
14. Besides the honor of the award in Chapter Ten, Einstein also receives what?
(a) Forty thousand dollars.
(b) Research grant.
(c) International acclaim.
(d) New professorship.
15. How does Einstein finally decide to deal with the autograph requests in Chapter Eight?
(a) Has a stamp of his signature made and has his wife answer them.
(b) Refuses to sign any more.
(c) Stops answering them completely.
(d) Declares that the request must include money for charity.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Chapter Twelve ends, the Einsteins are once again headed for what country?
2. Einstein adopts a terrier pup in Chapter Fourteen. What is the name of the dog?
3. During his tour of America, Einstein is beginning to have grave concerns about what situation at home in Germany?
4. Why does Einstein decide not to accept the offered professorship in Jerusalem after leaving Germany?
5. The author states that several French physicists give Einstein a cold reception in Chapter Eight. What reason does the author give for this?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)