|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, Einstein finally resumes his research on what?
(a) Photoelectric effect.
(c) Thermodynamic fluctuation.
(d) Gravitational fields.
2. What is unusual about Einstein's recommendations for people to take a US hospital job?
(a) He recommends four people for the same position.
(b) He refuses to recommend anyone.
(c) He recommends his daughter.
(d) He doesn't know the people he recommends.
3. Einstein receives several gifts as he prepares to leave the US. What is his attitude toward these gifts?
(a) He is puzzled.
(b) He doesn't like them.
(c) He believes he deserves them.
(d) He thinks Americans are crazy.
4. A young man approaches Einstein, wanting to discuss the possibility of his formula being used to create explosives. How does Einstein respond?
(a) He is horrified.
(b) He agrees to meet with the young man later.
(c) He dismisses the idea as foolish.
(d) He angrily tells the young man to leave.
5. When asked by the Archbishop what effect his theory has on religion, what does Einstein answer?
(a) It makes religion irrelevant.
(b) It destroys religion completely.
(d) It makes religion more important.
6. How does the new prestige of the award from Chapter Ten affect Einstein's behavior?
(a) He does not change his simple habits.
(b) He grows angry and bitter.
(c) He becomes more refined.
(d) He withdraws from the public.
7. During his tour of America, Einstein is beginning to have grave concerns about what situation at home in Germany?
(a) Growing dropout rate.
(b) Growing national debt.
(c) Growing poverty.
(d) Growing militarism.
8. Hitler claims that all BUT WHICH group causes Germany to lose World War I?
9. What is Einstein's favorite part about the job at the new university as Chapter Thirteen begins?
(a) It is informal.
(b) It is a bigger school.
(c) He has a better house.
(d) He makes more money.
10. In what year does Einstein die?
11. What is Einstein's attitude about his new celebrity status at the beginning of Chapter Eight?
(a) He is excited and enjoying it.
(b) He hopes it lasts a long time.
(c) He knows he'll be famous forever.
(d) He's convinced it dies down in three months or so.
12. Einstein grants one final interview to a young man in the safety of his cabin in Chapter Ten. Why does he grant this interview?
(a) Because he is friends with the man's parents.
(b) Elsa begs him to grant it.
(c) The man threatens to blackmail him.
(d) So the young man doesn't lose his job.
13. Of the following, who is NOT present at Einstein's welcome to America in Chapter Eleven?
(a) Dr. Butler.
(b) Mayor Walker.
(c) John D. Rockefeller, Jr.
(d) President Taft.
14. The author mentions three ways Einstein behaves toward all admirers. Which of the following is NOT mentioned?
(a) He speaks only to those he considers as smart as himself.
(b) He is always himself.
(c) He wins people with warmth and sincerity.
(d) He never tries to impress anyone.
15. After Einstein becomes famous, the visitors coming to the house want a variety of things. Which of the following is NOT one of their demands?
(a) That he grants an interview.
(b) That he gives an autograph.
(c) That he listens to theory/invention proposals.
(d) That he takes a better job.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mrs. Einstein is frightened and alarmed when she hears what report in Chapter Twelve?
2. With what aspect of New York is Einstein frustrated?
3. The city of Berlin decides to give Einstein what for his 50th birthday?
4. The author states that several French physicists give Einstein a cold reception in Chapter Eight. What reason does the author give for this?
5. What part of California do the Einsteins NOT enjoy?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)