|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Einstein decide not to accept the offered professorship in Jerusalem after leaving Germany?
(a) Younger, less famous scientist refugees need jobs there.
(b) He doesn't like the University.
(c) He thinks Hitler might invade Jerusalem.
(d) His wife is not able to tolerate the climate.
2. What is Mrs. Einstein's role in her husband's new fame?
(a) She dislikes the whole mess and usually stays in her room.
(b) She tries to keep visitors and letters manageable.
(c) She is disgusted that he is not more interested in his fans.
(d) She plays hostess to all their visitors.
3. At the close of Chapter Eleven, Einstein is asked about Hitler. What answer does he give?
(a) "Hitler is an amazing man."
(b) "I do not enjoy Mr. Hitler's acquaintance."
(c) "You soon see what kind of man Mr. Hitler is."
(d) "I don't know who you're talking about."
4. Einstein learns he is awarded what distinction at the end of Chapter Nine?
(a) MacArthur Genius Award.
(b) International Leadership Award.
(c) Nobel Prize.
(d) National Medal of Science.
5. Of the following, who is NOT present at Einstein's welcome to America in Chapter Eleven?
(a) Dr. Butler.
(b) President Taft.
(c) John D. Rockefeller, Jr.
(d) Mayor Walker.
6. In what area does Mrs. Einstein excel?
(a) Common things like tipping people and keeping track of bills.
(b) Difficult tasks such as redecorating the house.
(c) Simple things like writing letters.
(d) Complex things like writing new theories.
7. What sad event happens to the Einstein family during Chapter Thirteen?
(a) Elsa dies.
(b) Hermann dies.
(c) Ilse dies.
(d) Maja dies.
8. As Chapter Twelve ends, the Einsteins are once again headed for what country?
9. What is Einstein's attitude toward the murder of Walter Rathenau, Minister of Foreign Affairs, at the opening of Chapter Nine?
(a) He believes the man should be more careful.
(b) He thinks Rathenau has it coming.
(c) He doesn't feel that it makes a difference in his life.
(d) He is shocked and worried about the anti-Semitism rising in Germany.
10. During the tour of Japan, Einstein's guide says that Einstein offends Japanese people. How?
(a) He does not bother to learn Japanese.
(b) He does not greet the mayor appropriately.
(c) His lecture does not last four hours like the first.
(d) He does not put on a clean coat for the lecture.
11. The author gives three reasons why some scientists disagree with Einstein's work. Which of the following does the author NOT mention?
(a) They say it is impossible to take relativity seriously.
(b) They really believe he is wrong.
(c) They are jealous.
(d) They are after his job.
12. Einstein's peers feel he has what attitude toward his country during Chapter Nine?
13. To which country do the Einsteins move after leaving America?
14. The author ends the book by quoting what important person?
(a) Mrs. Einstein.
(b) President Eisenhower.
(c) President Taft.
(d) Hans Albert Einstein.
15. What is Einstein's favorite part about the job at the new university as Chapter Thirteen begins?
(a) He has a better house.
(b) He makes more money.
(c) It is informal.
(d) It is a bigger school.
Short Answer Questions
1. Elsa Einstein notes in an interview that "To be the wife of this man..."
2. Which of the following does the author NOT mention as current possible benefits of atomic power?
3. Once the atomic bomb is built and tested, how does Einstein recommend the US proceed?
4. During Chapter Nine, how does Mrs. Einstein begin to feel about their fame?
5. When asked by the Archbishop what effect his theory has on religion, what does Einstein answer?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)