|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Einstein adopts a terrier pup in Chapter Fourteen. What is the name of the dog?
2. What sad event happens to the Einstein family during Chapter Thirteen?
(a) Ilse dies.
(b) Hermann dies.
(c) Maja dies.
(d) Elsa dies.
3. What is Mrs. Einstein's role in her husband's new fame?
(a) She tries to keep visitors and letters manageable.
(b) She dislikes the whole mess and usually stays in her room.
(c) She plays hostess to all their visitors.
(d) She is disgusted that he is not more interested in his fans.
4. What does Elsa say about her memory of Einstein as a young boy?
(a) He is such a good student.
(b) He is very charming.
(c) He hates baths.
(d) He used to run away from her.
5. Why is Einstein's assistant, Infeld, unable to answer a reporter's question on what Einstein thinks of the book they co-write?
(a) Infeld doesn't have time to answer the question.
(b) Infeld doesn't speak English.
(c) Einstein doesn't like it, and Infeld doesn't want to say that.
(d) Einstein never opens the book.
6. The Commission for the Co-operation of Intellectuals is a part of which world organization?
(a) The United Nations.
(b) The G20.
(c) The League of Nations.
(d) The Security Council.
7. Elsa Einstein notes in an interview that "To be the wife of this man..."
(a) "is a huge nuisance."
(b) "is very entertaining."
(c) "is very difficult."
(d) "is absolutely wonderful."
8. Einstein always tries to help others. In what way does he try to help most in Chapter Thirteen?
(a) Rebuilding neighborhood homes.
(b) Donating to the war effort.
(c) Giving scholarships to good students.
(d) Getting refugees out of Europe.
9. Hitler claims that all BUT WHICH group causes Germany to lose World War I?
10. In Chapter Thirteen, Infeld says of the professor, "Once a work is finished his interest in it ____".
(a) Becomes different.
11. The author ends the book by quoting what important person?
(a) President Eisenhower.
(b) President Taft.
(c) Hans Albert Einstein.
(d) Mrs. Einstein.
12. After Einstein becomes famous, the visitors coming to the house want a variety of things. Which of the following is NOT one of their demands?
(a) That he listens to theory/invention proposals.
(b) That he gives an autograph.
(c) That he grants an interview.
(d) That he takes a better job.
13. Einstein decides in Chapter Twelve that he sends a letter of resignation to the Academy at Berlin. What is the response?
(a) They do not regret his resignation.
(b) They see it as proof that Einstein is a Communist.
(c) They are saddened that he feels resignation necessary.
(d) They do not respond at all.
14. How does the new prestige of the award from Chapter Ten affect Einstein's behavior?
(a) He withdraws from the public.
(b) He does not change his simple habits.
(c) He becomes more refined.
(d) He grows angry and bitter.
15. Einstein learns he is awarded what distinction at the end of Chapter Nine?
(a) MacArthur Genius Award.
(b) National Medal of Science.
(c) Nobel Prize.
(d) International Leadership Award.
Short Answer Questions
1. Toward the end of Chapter Thirteen, what happens to Elsa Einstein?
2. As the Einsteins prepare to return to California in 1932, Dr. Einstein tells his wife to take a long look at their house. Why?
3. Einstein is worried toward the end of Chapter Ten because he learns that it is not safe to do what in Marseilles, France?
4. During Chapter Nine, how does Mrs. Einstein begin to feel about their fame?
5. As Chapter Twelve ends, the Einsteins are once again headed for what country?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)