|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One of the people who attends Einstein's lecture in Paris is _____.
(a) Rachel Carson.
(b) Madame Curie.
(c) Virginia Apgar.
(d) Rosalind Franklin.
2. In what year does Einstein die?
3. What is Mrs. Einstein's role in her husband's new fame?
(a) She tries to keep visitors and letters manageable.
(b) She plays hostess to all their visitors.
(c) She is disgusted that he is not more interested in his fans.
(d) She dislikes the whole mess and usually stays in her room.
4. After Einstein becomes famous, the visitors coming to the house want a variety of things. Which of the following is NOT one of their demands?
(a) That he takes a better job.
(b) That he listens to theory/invention proposals.
(c) That he grants an interview.
(d) That he gives an autograph.
5. In Chapter Fourteen, some of Einstein's colleagues ask him to set up a meeting with ________ to discuss their work on the atom bomb.
(a) President Taft.
(b) President Hoover.
(c) President Truman.
(d) President Roosevelt.
6. What does Einstein do after his retirement in Chapter Fourteen?
(a) Visits friends.
(b) Continues figuring out new theories.
(c) Sleeps a lot.
(d) Travels around the world.
7. What sad event happens to the Einstein family during Chapter Thirteen?
(a) Elsa dies.
(b) Hermann dies.
(c) Ilse dies.
(d) Maja dies.
8. During Chapter Nine, how does Mrs. Einstein begin to feel about their fame?
(a) She doesn't wish to return home to their former life.
(b) She is growing frustrated with it all.
(c) She is happier than ever.
(d) She is concerned about how it affects her children.
9. A major event takes place in Einstein's family in Chapter Ten. What is it?
(a) Hermann loses his job.
(b) Pauline dies.
(c) Elsa becomes ill.
(d) Margot gets married.
10. Einstein grants one final interview to a young man in the safety of his cabin in Chapter Ten. Why does he grant this interview?
(a) Because he is friends with the man's parents.
(b) The man threatens to blackmail him.
(c) Elsa begs him to grant it.
(d) So the young man doesn't lose his job.
11. What is Einstein's attitude toward the murder of Walter Rathenau, Minister of Foreign Affairs, at the opening of Chapter Nine?
(a) He is shocked and worried about the anti-Semitism rising in Germany.
(b) He doesn't feel that it makes a difference in his life.
(c) He thinks Rathenau has it coming.
(d) He believes the man should be more careful.
12. Einstein decides in Chapter Twelve that he sends a letter of resignation to the Academy at Berlin. What is the response?
(a) They do not regret his resignation.
(b) They do not respond at all.
(c) They see it as proof that Einstein is a Communist.
(d) They are saddened that he feels resignation necessary.
13. During Chapter Eight, Einstein tells his wife to pack as he intends to travel to which country?
14. What is Einstein's attitude about his new celebrity status at the beginning of Chapter Eight?
(a) He hopes it lasts a long time.
(b) He's convinced it dies down in three months or so.
(c) He knows he'll be famous forever.
(d) He is excited and enjoying it.
15. What is unusual about Einstein's recommendations for people to take a US hospital job?
(a) He doesn't know the people he recommends.
(b) He refuses to recommend anyone.
(c) He recommends his daughter.
(d) He recommends four people for the same position.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take Einstein to become a US citizen?
2. After Einstein's meeting with the German consul, one of the staff says what about Einstein's decision not to return to Germany?
3. On the way home from the trip to Japan, Einstein cannot resist an invitation to visit what country?
4. Einstein's peers feel he has what attitude toward his country during Chapter Nine?
5. How does Einstein finally decide to deal with the autograph requests in Chapter Eight?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)