|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mrs. Einstein's role in her husband's new fame?
(a) She plays hostess to all their visitors.
(b) She tries to keep visitors and letters manageable.
(c) She is disgusted that he is not more interested in his fans.
(d) She dislikes the whole mess and usually stays in her room.
2. The city of Berlin decides to give Einstein what for his 50th birthday?
(a) A park bearing his name.
(b) A new house on the river.
(c) A statue in the center of town.
(d) A beautiful plaque in appreciation.
3. Why does Einstein agree to write to the President to discuss the atomic bomb?
(a) He doesn't think it can be done anyway.
(b) He hopes to be rewarded by the President.
(c) He knows the Nazis eventually build an atom bomb.
(d) He can't refuse to help his friends.
4. Which of the following does the author NOT mention as current possible benefits of atomic power?
(a) Conquering diseases.
(b) Conquering deserts.
(c) Conquering poverty.
(d) Conquering other countries.
5. What does Elsa say about her memory of Einstein as a young boy?
(a) He hates baths.
(b) He is such a good student.
(c) He used to run away from her.
(d) He is very charming.
6. Why does Einstein decide not to accept the offered professorship in Jerusalem after leaving Germany?
(a) He doesn't like the University.
(b) Younger, less famous scientist refugees need jobs there.
(c) He thinks Hitler might invade Jerusalem.
(d) His wife is not able to tolerate the climate.
7. Hitler turns on the Jews first because he is not yet ready for war. He intends to wage war on all BUT WHICH of the following countries?
8. Why is Einstein's assistant, Infeld, unable to answer a reporter's question on what Einstein thinks of the book they co-write?
(a) Einstein doesn't like it, and Infeld doesn't want to say that.
(b) Einstein never opens the book.
(c) Infeld doesn't have time to answer the question.
(d) Infeld doesn't speak English.
9. Einstein's peers feel he has what attitude toward his country during Chapter Nine?
10. The author states that several French physicists give Einstein a cold reception in Chapter Eight. What reason does the author give for this?
(a) His German birth.
(b) His unkempt appearance.
(c) His crazy theories.
(d) His inability to speak French.
11. Who is present when Einstein dies at the end of Chapter Fourteen?
(d) Night nurse.
12. What is Einstein's position on pacifism as he ages and as tension once again rises in Europe?
(a) He is no longer a pacifist.
(b) He writes papers on what a good idea pacifism is.
(c) He doesn't think about it any longer.
(d) He is more strongly pacifist.
13. The Commission for the Co-operation of Intellectuals is a part of which world organization?
(a) The G20.
(b) The League of Nations.
(c) The Security Council.
(d) The United Nations.
14. Einstein grants one final interview to a young man in the safety of his cabin in Chapter Ten. Why does he grant this interview?
(a) So the young man doesn't lose his job.
(b) Because he is friends with the man's parents.
(c) Elsa begs him to grant it.
(d) The man threatens to blackmail him.
15. Of the following, who is NOT present at Einstein's welcome to America in Chapter Eleven?
(a) Mayor Walker.
(b) Dr. Butler.
(c) President Taft.
(d) John D. Rockefeller, Jr.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Chapter Twelve ends, the Einsteins are once again headed for what country?
2. On the way home from the trip to Japan, Einstein cannot resist an invitation to visit what country?
3. Einstein always tries to help others. In what way does he try to help most in Chapter Thirteen?
4. In what area does Mrs. Einstein excel?
5. In the opening of Chapter Ten, the author mentions that the ____________ is one of the greatest honors that comes to any scientist, writer, or humanitarian.
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)