|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the tour of Japan, Einstein's guide says that Einstein offends Japanese people. How?
(a) His lecture does not last four hours like the first.
(b) He does not put on a clean coat for the lecture.
(c) He does not bother to learn Japanese.
(d) He does not greet the mayor appropriately.
2. At the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, Einstein finally resumes his research on what?
(a) Thermodynamic fluctuation.
(b) Gravitational fields.
(d) Photoelectric effect.
3. Einstein's peers feel he has what attitude toward his country during Chapter Nine?
4. In Hitler's eyes, Einstein is guilty because he is all BUT WHICH of the following?
(a) A scientist.
(b) A Jew.
(c) A pacifist.
(d) An internationalist.
5. Einstein doesn't usually enjoy movies, but he does appreciate the one he attends as a guest of which movie star in Chapter Eleven?
(a) Fred Astaire.
(b) Charlie Chaplin.
(c) Clark Gable.
(d) Shirley Temple.
6. Bertrand Russell comments that "Everybody knows that Einstein does something astonishing...".
(a) "but no one thinks it is important."
(b) "and the whole world knows exactly what he does."
(c) "but very few people know exactly what it is that he does."
(d) "and we eagerly await his next invention."
7. Elsa Einstein notes in an interview that "To be the wife of this man..."
(a) "is very difficult."
(b) "is a huge nuisance."
(c) "is very entertaining."
(d) "is absolutely wonderful."
8. The author gives three reasons why some scientists disagree with Einstein's work. Which of the following does the author NOT mention?
(a) They really believe he is wrong.
(b) They say it is impossible to take relativity seriously.
(c) They are after his job.
(d) They are jealous.
9. In what year does Einstein die?
10. Einstein grants one final interview to a young man in the safety of his cabin in Chapter Ten. Why does he grant this interview?
(a) So the young man doesn't lose his job.
(b) The man threatens to blackmail him.
(c) Elsa begs him to grant it.
(d) Because he is friends with the man's parents.
11. A young man approaches Einstein, wanting to discuss the possibility of his formula being used to create explosives. How does Einstein respond?
(a) He angrily tells the young man to leave.
(b) He is horrified.
(c) He agrees to meet with the young man later.
(d) He dismisses the idea as foolish.
12. The author states that several French physicists give Einstein a cold reception in Chapter Eight. What reason does the author give for this?
(a) His inability to speak French.
(b) His unkempt appearance.
(c) His crazy theories.
(d) His German birth.
13. At the close of Chapter Eleven, Einstein is asked about Hitler. What answer does he give?
(a) "I do not enjoy Mr. Hitler's acquaintance."
(b) "You soon see what kind of man Mr. Hitler is."
(c) "I don't know who you're talking about."
(d) "Hitler is an amazing man."
14. Who is present when Einstein dies at the end of Chapter Fourteen?
(a) Night nurse.
15. Though he has enemies in political circles, why os Einstein is happy during Chapter Nine?
(a) He feels sure it ends soon.
(b) World leaders appreciate his work.
(c) He doesn't care about politics.
(d) Common people still love him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to live with Einstein early in Chapter Fourteen?
2. Einstein is worried toward the end of Chapter Ten because he learns that it is not safe to do what in Marseilles, France?
3. One of the people who attends Einstein's lecture in Paris is _____.
4. Of the following, who is NOT present at Einstein's welcome to America in Chapter Eleven?
5. What is Einstein's position on pacifism as he ages and as tension once again rises in Europe?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)