|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elsa say about her memory of Einstein as a young boy?
(a) He hates baths.
(b) He is very charming.
(c) He is such a good student.
(d) He used to run away from her.
2. During Chapter Eight, Einstein tells his wife to pack as he intends to travel to which country?
3. As Chapter Twelve ends, the Einsteins are once again headed for what country?
4. Einstein receives several gifts as he prepares to leave the US. What is his attitude toward these gifts?
(a) He thinks Americans are crazy.
(b) He doesn't like them.
(c) He believes he deserves them.
(d) He is puzzled.
5. In what area does Mrs. Einstein excel?
(a) Common things like tipping people and keeping track of bills.
(b) Simple things like writing letters.
(c) Difficult tasks such as redecorating the house.
(d) Complex things like writing new theories.
6. After Einstein becomes famous, the visitors coming to the house want a variety of things. Which of the following is NOT one of their demands?
(a) That he gives an autograph.
(b) That he grants an interview.
(c) That he takes a better job.
(d) That he listens to theory/invention proposals.
7. When asked by a reporter if he is happy in America, how does Einstein respond?
(a) "I am very happy if I ever get to see it."
(b) "I am much happier when I leave it."
(c) "I don't mind living here."
(d) "I think this place is a dump."
8. In Hitler's eyes, Einstein is guilty because he is all BUT WHICH of the following?
(a) A pacifist.
(b) A Jew.
(c) An internationalist.
(d) A scientist.
9. In the opening of Chapter Ten, the author mentions that the ____________ is one of the greatest honors that comes to any scientist, writer, or humanitarian.
(a) Nobel Prize.
(b) International Leadership Award.
(c) MacArthur Genius Award.
(d) National Medal of Science.
10. Of the following, who is NOT present at Einstein's welcome to America in Chapter Eleven?
(a) Dr. Butler.
(b) President Taft.
(c) Mayor Walker.
(d) John D. Rockefeller, Jr.
11. The author ends the book by quoting what important person?
(a) Mrs. Einstein.
(b) President Taft.
(c) President Eisenhower.
(d) Hans Albert Einstein.
12. The author states that several French physicists give Einstein a cold reception in Chapter Eight. What reason does the author give for this?
(a) His inability to speak French.
(b) His crazy theories.
(c) His German birth.
(d) His unkempt appearance.
13. Einstein decides in Chapter Twelve that he sends a letter of resignation to the Academy at Berlin. What is the response?
(a) They are saddened that he feels resignation necessary.
(b) They see it as proof that Einstein is a Communist.
(c) They do not regret his resignation.
(d) They do not respond at all.
14. Einstein returns to work at the end of Chapter Thirteen. Why is this unusual?
(a) He has no work to do.
(b) His wife dies a few days earlier.
(c) It is the holidays.
(d) He is no longer being paid.
15. With which detractors of his theories does Einstein grow particularly angry?
(a) Those who set out to prove he is crazy.
(b) Those who attack him on personal matters.
(c) Those who are academically jealous.
(d) Those who don't understand his theory.
Short Answer Questions
1. One of the people who attends Einstein's lecture in Paris is _____.
2. On the way home from the trip to Japan, Einstein cannot resist an invitation to visit what country?
3. What does Einstein do after his retirement in Chapter Fourteen?
4. What sad event happens to the Einstein family during Chapter Thirteen?
5. Why is Einstein disgusted with his quarters on the ship for America?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)