|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the Einsteins prepare to return to California in 1932, Dr. Einstein tells his wife to take a long look at their house. Why?
(a) He is considering selling it and wants Elsa's opinion.
(b) He intends to find one like it in America.
(c) He has a feeling they won't be returning.
(d) It is a long trip and they won't see it for several months.
2. The Einsteins leave the children at home in Chapter Nine in order to take a trip through what region?
(a) The United States.
(b) The Balkans.
(c) The Middle East.
(d) The Orient.
3. Einstein decides in Chapter Twelve that he sends a letter of resignation to the Academy at Berlin. What is the response?
(a) They see it as proof that Einstein is a Communist.
(b) They do not respond at all.
(c) They are saddened that he feels resignation necessary.
(d) They do not regret his resignation.
4. The author mentions three ways Einstein behaves toward all admirers. Which of the following is NOT mentioned?
(a) He speaks only to those he considers as smart as himself.
(b) He is always himself.
(c) He wins people with warmth and sincerity.
(d) He never tries to impress anyone.
5. Einstein returns to work at the end of Chapter Thirteen. Why is this unusual?
(a) His wife dies a few days earlier.
(b) He has no work to do.
(c) He is no longer being paid.
(d) It is the holidays.
6. Why does Einstein agree to write to the President to discuss the atomic bomb?
(a) He knows the Nazis eventually build an atom bomb.
(b) He can't refuse to help his friends.
(c) He hopes to be rewarded by the President.
(d) He doesn't think it can be done anyway.
7. The Commission for the Co-operation of Intellectuals is a part of which world organization?
(a) The G20.
(b) The Security Council.
(c) The United Nations.
(d) The League of Nations.
8. How long does it take Einstein to become a US citizen?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Six months.
(c) Two years.
(d) Five years.
9. After Einstein's meeting with the German consul, one of the staff says what about Einstein's decision not to return to Germany?
(a) He is being selfish.
(b) He is worried about nothing.
(c) It is a foolish decision.
(d) It is a wise decision.
10. Hitler turns on the Jews first because he is not yet ready for war. He intends to wage war on all BUT WHICH of the following countries?
11. The President of Columbia University, in his introduction, says that Dr. Einstein gives the world...?
(a) "nothing special."
(b) "a way to build weapons."
(c) "a grand new future."
(d) "an intellectual lighthouse."
12. Hitler claims that all BUT WHICH group causes Germany to lose World War I?
13. To which country do the Einsteins move after leaving America?
14. The city of Berlin decides to give Einstein what for his 50th birthday?
(a) A park bearing his name.
(b) A beautiful plaque in appreciation.
(c) A new house on the river.
(d) A statue in the center of town.
15. Einstein mentions during the Berlin gift nonsense that it "becomes an excuse for many people for the best thing there is in life:________".
(a) "I mean debate."
(b) "I mean money."
(c) "I mean a laugh."
(d) "I mean entertainment."
Short Answer Questions
1. Einstein grants one final interview to a young man in the safety of his cabin in Chapter Ten. Why does he grant this interview?
2. The author ends the book by quoting what important person?
3. As Chapter Twelve ends, the Einsteins are once again headed for what country?
4. Einstein doesn't usually enjoy movies, but he does appreciate the one he attends as a guest of which movie star in Chapter Eleven?
5. What is Einstein's attitude about his new celebrity status at the beginning of Chapter Eight?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)