|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Einstein gives a gift to the Hebrew University in Jerusalem in Chapter Thirteen. What is the gift?
(a) His original manuscripts on the relativity theory.
(b) An enormous amount of money.
(c) Everything in his estate.
(d) The house he owns in Germany.
2. What is Einstein's attitude toward the murder of Walter Rathenau, Minister of Foreign Affairs, at the opening of Chapter Nine?
(a) He doesn't feel that it makes a difference in his life.
(b) He thinks Rathenau has it coming.
(c) He believes the man should be more careful.
(d) He is shocked and worried about the anti-Semitism rising in Germany.
3. When asked by a reporter if he is happy in America, how does Einstein respond?
(a) "I am very happy if I ever get to see it."
(b) "I think this place is a dump."
(c) "I don't mind living here."
(d) "I am much happier when I leave it."
4. Who is present when Einstein dies at the end of Chapter Fourteen?
(b) Night nurse.
5. The author mentions three ways Einstein behaves toward all admirers. Which of the following is NOT mentioned?
(a) He is always himself.
(b) He wins people with warmth and sincerity.
(c) He speaks only to those he considers as smart as himself.
(d) He never tries to impress anyone.
6. Of the following, who is NOT present at Einstein's welcome to America in Chapter Eleven?
(a) President Taft.
(b) Dr. Butler.
(c) John D. Rockefeller, Jr.
(d) Mayor Walker.
7. Einstein's peers feel he has what attitude toward his country during Chapter Nine?
8. The Commission for the Co-operation of Intellectuals is a part of which world organization?
(a) The Security Council.
(b) The G20.
(c) The League of Nations.
(d) The United Nations.
9. Why does Einstein decide not to accept the offered professorship in Jerusalem after leaving Germany?
(a) He doesn't like the University.
(b) Younger, less famous scientist refugees need jobs there.
(c) He thinks Hitler might invade Jerusalem.
(d) His wife is not able to tolerate the climate.
10. At the close of Chapter Eleven, Einstein is asked about Hitler. What answer does he give?
(a) "Hitler is an amazing man."
(b) "I don't know who you're talking about."
(c) "You soon see what kind of man Mr. Hitler is."
(d) "I do not enjoy Mr. Hitler's acquaintance."
11. After children sing carols at the Einstein house for Christmas, what reward does he offer them?
(a) A few pennies.
(b) Some cookies.
(c) He goes with them.
(d) Math lessons.
12. What is Mrs. Einstein's role in her husband's new fame?
(a) She tries to keep visitors and letters manageable.
(b) She dislikes the whole mess and usually stays in her room.
(c) She is disgusted that he is not more interested in his fans.
(d) She plays hostess to all their visitors.
13. What is Einstein's position on pacifism as he ages and as tension once again rises in Europe?
(a) He doesn't think about it any longer.
(b) He is no longer a pacifist.
(c) He writes papers on what a good idea pacifism is.
(d) He is more strongly pacifist.
14. In Hitler's eyes, Einstein is guilty because he is all BUT WHICH of the following?
(a) A Jew.
(b) A pacifist.
(c) A scientist.
(d) An internationalist.
15. Einstein adopts a terrier pup in Chapter Fourteen. What is the name of the dog?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Einstein disgusted with his quarters on the ship for America?
2. The author states that several French physicists give Einstein a cold reception in Chapter Eight. What reason does the author give for this?
3. In what area does Mrs. Einstein excel?
4. Einstein returns to work at the end of Chapter Thirteen. Why is this unusual?
5. Einstein always tries to help others. In what way does he try to help most in Chapter Thirteen?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)