|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After children sing carols at the Einstein house for Christmas, what reward does he offer them?
(a) Some cookies.
(b) He goes with them.
(c) A few pennies.
(d) Math lessons.
2. A major event takes place in Einstein's family in Chapter Ten. What is it?
(a) Pauline dies.
(b) Margot gets married.
(c) Hermann loses his job.
(d) Elsa becomes ill.
3. As Einstein grows older, he discovers that he enjoys a new hobby. What is it?
4. Toward the end of Chapter Thirteen, what happens to Elsa Einstein?
(a) She becomes very ill.
(b) She becomes very depressed.
(c) She decides to divorce her husband.
(d) She is robbed while walking to the store.
5. Einstein resigns from the Commission for the Co-operation of Intellectuals after a year because he realizes what about the organization?
(a) They are only interested in helping the powerful members.
(b) They are only interested in making money.
(c) They are only interesting in the smaller countries.
(d) They are only interested in stopping Communism.
6. On the way home from the trip to Japan, Einstein cannot resist an invitation to visit what country?
7. Though he has enemies in political circles, why os Einstein is happy during Chapter Nine?
(a) He doesn't care about politics.
(b) World leaders appreciate his work.
(c) He feels sure it ends soon.
(d) Common people still love him.
8. The author gives three reasons why some scientists disagree with Einstein's work. Which of the following does the author NOT mention?
(a) They are jealous.
(b) They are after his job.
(c) They really believe he is wrong.
(d) They say it is impossible to take relativity seriously.
9. The author mentions three ways Einstein behaves toward all admirers. Which of the following is NOT mentioned?
(a) He speaks only to those he considers as smart as himself.
(b) He is always himself.
(c) He wins people with warmth and sincerity.
(d) He never tries to impress anyone.
10. What is Einstein's position on pacifism as he ages and as tension once again rises in Europe?
(a) He is no longer a pacifist.
(b) He writes papers on what a good idea pacifism is.
(c) He doesn't think about it any longer.
(d) He is more strongly pacifist.
11. With which detractors of his theories does Einstein grow particularly angry?
(a) Those who attack him on personal matters.
(b) Those who don't understand his theory.
(c) Those who are academically jealous.
(d) Those who set out to prove he is crazy.
12. As the Einsteins prepare to return to California in 1932, Dr. Einstein tells his wife to take a long look at their house. Why?
(a) He is considering selling it and wants Elsa's opinion.
(b) He intends to find one like it in America.
(c) He has a feeling they won't be returning.
(d) It is a long trip and they won't see it for several months.
13. What does Einstein do after his retirement in Chapter Fourteen?
(a) Continues figuring out new theories.
(b) Visits friends.
(c) Sleeps a lot.
(d) Travels around the world.
14. With what aspect of New York is Einstein frustrated?
(a) The museums are not as nice as he hopes.
(b) The food is terrible and he has an upset stomach the whole trip.
(c) He cannot go on sight-seeing trips without being recognized.
(d) The people are not very friendly toward his wife.
15. During Chapter Eight, Einstein tells his wife to pack as he intends to travel to which country?
Short Answer Questions
1. The author states that several French physicists give Einstein a cold reception in Chapter Eight. What reason does the author give for this?
2. After Einstein's meeting with the German consul, one of the staff says what about Einstein's decision not to return to Germany?
3. The Commission for the Co-operation of Intellectuals is a part of which world organization?
4. To which country do the Einsteins move after leaving America?
5. Einstein has a medical issue in Chapter Ten. While in Switzerland, he has a ___________.
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)