|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the new prestige of the award from Chapter Ten affect Einstein's behavior?
(a) He becomes more refined.
(b) He grows angry and bitter.
(c) He withdraws from the public.
(d) He does not change his simple habits.
2. As Einstein grows older, he discovers that he enjoys a new hobby. What is it?
3. In what area does Mrs. Einstein excel?
(a) Complex things like writing new theories.
(b) Difficult tasks such as redecorating the house.
(c) Common things like tipping people and keeping track of bills.
(d) Simple things like writing letters.
4. How long does it take Einstein to become a US citizen?
(a) Two years.
(b) Twenty years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Six months.
5. The author gives three reasons why some scientists disagree with Einstein's work. Which of the following does the author NOT mention?
(a) They really believe he is wrong.
(b) They say it is impossible to take relativity seriously.
(c) They are jealous.
(d) They are after his job.
6. The author states that several French physicists give Einstein a cold reception in Chapter Eight. What reason does the author give for this?
(a) His unkempt appearance.
(b) His inability to speak French.
(c) His German birth.
(d) His crazy theories.
7. Elsa Einstein notes in an interview that "To be the wife of this man..."
(a) "is very difficult."
(b) "is a huge nuisance."
(c) "is very entertaining."
(d) "is absolutely wonderful."
8. Einstein decides in Chapter Twelve that he sends a letter of resignation to the Academy at Berlin. What is the response?
(a) They do not regret his resignation.
(b) They do not respond at all.
(c) They see it as proof that Einstein is a Communist.
(d) They are saddened that he feels resignation necessary.
9. How does Einstein finally decide to deal with the autograph requests in Chapter Eight?
(a) Declares that the request must include money for charity.
(b) Has a stamp of his signature made and has his wife answer them.
(c) Stops answering them completely.
(d) Refuses to sign any more.
10. Toward the end of Chapter Thirteen, what happens to Elsa Einstein?
(a) She decides to divorce her husband.
(b) She is robbed while walking to the store.
(c) She becomes very ill.
(d) She becomes very depressed.
11. Einstein has a medical issue in Chapter Ten. While in Switzerland, he has a ___________.
(a) Broken hip.
(b) Brain tumor.
(c) Heart attack.
12. During his tour of America, Einstein is beginning to have grave concerns about what situation at home in Germany?
(a) Growing militarism.
(b) Growing dropout rate.
(c) Growing national debt.
(d) Growing poverty.
13. What sad event happens to the Einstein family during Chapter Thirteen?
(a) Maja dies.
(b) Elsa dies.
(c) Ilse dies.
(d) Hermann dies.
14. Besides the honor of the award in Chapter Ten, Einstein also receives what?
(a) Research grant.
(b) International acclaim.
(c) New professorship.
(d) Forty thousand dollars.
15. Einstein learns he is awarded what distinction at the end of Chapter Nine?
(a) National Medal of Science.
(b) MacArthur Genius Award.
(c) Nobel Prize.
(d) International Leadership Award.
Short Answer Questions
1. To which country do the Einsteins move after leaving America?
2. What is Einstein's position on pacifism as he ages and as tension once again rises in Europe?
3. What part of California do the Einsteins NOT enjoy?
4. When asked by a reporter if he is happy in America, how does Einstein respond?
5. Einstein resigns from the Commission for the Co-operation of Intellectuals after a year because he realizes what about the organization?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)