|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Einstein's position on pacifism as he ages and as tension once again rises in Europe?
(a) He is no longer a pacifist.
(b) He writes papers on what a good idea pacifism is.
(c) He doesn't think about it any longer.
(d) He is more strongly pacifist.
2. In the opening of Chapter Ten, the author mentions that the ____________ is one of the greatest honors that comes to any scientist, writer, or humanitarian.
(a) MacArthur Genius Award.
(b) Nobel Prize.
(c) International Leadership Award.
(d) National Medal of Science.
3. When asked by a reporter if he is happy in America, how does Einstein respond?
(a) "I don't mind living here."
(b) "I am very happy if I ever get to see it."
(c) "I think this place is a dump."
(d) "I am much happier when I leave it."
4. Who is present when Einstein dies at the end of Chapter Fourteen?
(a) Night nurse.
5. The President of Columbia University, in his introduction, says that Dr. Einstein gives the world...?
(a) "nothing special."
(b) "a way to build weapons."
(c) "a grand new future."
(d) "an intellectual lighthouse."
6. As Einstein grows older, he discovers that he enjoys a new hobby. What is it?
7. In what area does Mrs. Einstein excel?
(a) Complex things like writing new theories.
(b) Common things like tipping people and keeping track of bills.
(c) Simple things like writing letters.
(d) Difficult tasks such as redecorating the house.
8. Why is Einstein disgusted with his quarters on the ship for America?
(a) They are too close to steerage.
(b) They are not luxurious enough.
(c) They are too luxurious.
(d) They are not close to the kitchen.
9. The Einsteins leave the children at home in Chapter Nine in order to take a trip through what region?
(a) The United States.
(b) The Orient.
(c) The Middle East.
(d) The Balkans.
10. With what aspect of New York is Einstein frustrated?
(a) The food is terrible and he has an upset stomach the whole trip.
(b) He cannot go on sight-seeing trips without being recognized.
(c) The museums are not as nice as he hopes.
(d) The people are not very friendly toward his wife.
11. Why is Einstein's assistant, Infeld, unable to answer a reporter's question on what Einstein thinks of the book they co-write?
(a) Infeld doesn't have time to answer the question.
(b) Einstein never opens the book.
(c) Einstein doesn't like it, and Infeld doesn't want to say that.
(d) Infeld doesn't speak English.
12. At the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, Einstein finally resumes his research on what?
(a) Gravitational fields.
(c) Thermodynamic fluctuation.
(d) Photoelectric effect.
13. When asked by the Archbishop what effect his theory has on religion, what does Einstein answer?
(a) It makes religion more important.
(b) It makes religion irrelevant.
(d) It destroys religion completely.
14. A young man approaches Einstein, wanting to discuss the possibility of his formula being used to create explosives. How does Einstein respond?
(a) He dismisses the idea as foolish.
(b) He is horrified.
(c) He angrily tells the young man to leave.
(d) He agrees to meet with the young man later.
15. What is Einstein's favorite part about the job at the new university as Chapter Thirteen begins?
(a) It is informal.
(b) He makes more money.
(c) He has a better house.
(d) It is a bigger school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What universities does Einstein NOT visit on his trip in Chapter Eight?
2. Einstein is very happy to travel to California as Chapter Eleven begins because he gets to meet ______________, one of his early inspirations.
3. What sad event happens to the Einstein family during Chapter Thirteen?
4. With which detractors of his theories does Einstein grow particularly angry?
5. Toward the end of Chapter Thirteen, what happens to Elsa Einstein?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)