|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is ironic about Hitler's attitude toward Einstein in Chapter Twelve?
(a) Einstein is not particularly tied to his religion.
(b) Einstein makes Hitler famous.
(c) Einstein doesn't live in Germany.
(d) Einstein agrees with Hitler's policies.
2. What is Einstein's attitude about his new celebrity status at the beginning of Chapter Eight?
(a) He knows he'll be famous forever.
(b) He's convinced it dies down in three months or so.
(c) He hopes it lasts a long time.
(d) He is excited and enjoying it.
3. As the Einsteins prepare to return to California in 1932, Dr. Einstein tells his wife to take a long look at their house. Why?
(a) He intends to find one like it in America.
(b) It is a long trip and they won't see it for several months.
(c) He has a feeling they won't be returning.
(d) He is considering selling it and wants Elsa's opinion.
4. What is Einstein's attitude toward the murder of Walter Rathenau, Minister of Foreign Affairs, at the opening of Chapter Nine?
(a) He doesn't feel that it makes a difference in his life.
(b) He believes the man should be more careful.
(c) He thinks Rathenau has it coming.
(d) He is shocked and worried about the anti-Semitism rising in Germany.
5. Elsa Einstein notes in an interview that "To be the wife of this man..."
(a) "is very entertaining."
(b) "is a huge nuisance."
(c) "is very difficult."
(d) "is absolutely wonderful."
6. Once the atomic bomb is built and tested, how does Einstein recommend the US proceed?
(a) Bomb one or two enemy nations.
(b) Use the bomb on any nation with which the US disagrees.
(c) Never use the bomb.
(d) Warn enemy nations of the bomb's potential.
7. What does Elsa say about her memory of Einstein as a young boy?
(a) He is such a good student.
(b) He is very charming.
(c) He hates baths.
(d) He used to run away from her.
8. The President of Columbia University, in his introduction, says that Dr. Einstein gives the world...?
(a) "an intellectual lighthouse."
(b) "a way to build weapons."
(c) "a grand new future."
(d) "nothing special."
9. After children sing carols at the Einstein house for Christmas, what reward does he offer them?
(a) He goes with them.
(b) Math lessons.
(c) A few pennies.
(d) Some cookies.
10. What universities does Einstein NOT visit on his trip in Chapter Eight?
(d) Cal Tech.
11. Einstein always tries to help others. In what way does he try to help most in Chapter Thirteen?
(a) Giving scholarships to good students.
(b) Rebuilding neighborhood homes.
(c) Donating to the war effort.
(d) Getting refugees out of Europe.
12. In what year does Einstein die?
13. Which of the following does the author NOT mention as current possible benefits of atomic power?
(a) Conquering other countries.
(b) Conquering diseases.
(c) Conquering poverty.
(d) Conquering deserts.
14. Besides the honor of the award in Chapter Ten, Einstein also receives what?
(a) International acclaim.
(b) Research grant.
(c) New professorship.
(d) Forty thousand dollars.
15. Who is present when Einstein dies at the end of Chapter Fourteen?
(c) Night nurse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to live with Einstein early in Chapter Fourteen?
2. What is Einstein's favorite part about the job at the new university as Chapter Thirteen begins?
3. In what area does Mrs. Einstein excel?
4. What is Mrs. Einstein's role in her husband's new fame?
5. Einstein's peers feel he has what attitude toward his country during Chapter Nine?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)