|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bertrand Russell comments that "Everybody knows that Einstein does something astonishing...".
(a) "but very few people know exactly what it is that he does."
(b) "and the whole world knows exactly what he does."
(c) "but no one thinks it is important."
(d) "and we eagerly await his next invention."
2. As the Einsteins prepare to return to California in 1932, Dr. Einstein tells his wife to take a long look at their house. Why?
(a) He intends to find one like it in America.
(b) He is considering selling it and wants Elsa's opinion.
(c) It is a long trip and they won't see it for several months.
(d) He has a feeling they won't be returning.
3. Besides the honor of the award in Chapter Ten, Einstein also receives what?
(a) Research grant.
(b) New professorship.
(c) International acclaim.
(d) Forty thousand dollars.
4. Who is present when Einstein dies at the end of Chapter Fourteen?
(a) Night nurse.
5. The President of Columbia University, in his introduction, says that Dr. Einstein gives the world...?
(a) "a grand new future."
(b) "nothing special."
(c) "an intellectual lighthouse."
(d) "a way to build weapons."
6. Einstein learns he is awarded what distinction at the end of Chapter Nine?
(a) MacArthur Genius Award.
(b) International Leadership Award.
(c) Nobel Prize.
(d) National Medal of Science.
7. What sad event happens to the Einstein family during Chapter Thirteen?
(a) Elsa dies.
(b) Hermann dies.
(c) Ilse dies.
(d) Maja dies.
8. Einstein always tries to help others. In what way does he try to help most in Chapter Thirteen?
(a) Rebuilding neighborhood homes.
(b) Giving scholarships to good students.
(c) Donating to the war effort.
(d) Getting refugees out of Europe.
9. Once the atomic bomb is built and tested, how does Einstein recommend the US proceed?
(a) Warn enemy nations of the bomb's potential.
(b) Bomb one or two enemy nations.
(c) Never use the bomb.
(d) Use the bomb on any nation with which the US disagrees.
10. The author gives three reasons why some scientists disagree with Einstein's work. Which of the following does the author NOT mention?
(a) They are after his job.
(b) They are jealous.
(c) They really believe he is wrong.
(d) They say it is impossible to take relativity seriously.
11. At the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, Einstein finally resumes his research on what?
(b) Gravitational fields.
(c) Photoelectric effect.
(d) Thermodynamic fluctuation.
12. After Einstein's meeting with the German consul, one of the staff says what about Einstein's decision not to return to Germany?
(a) He is being selfish.
(b) It is a wise decision.
(c) It is a foolish decision.
(d) He is worried about nothing.
13. Einstein grants one final interview to a young man in the safety of his cabin in Chapter Ten. Why does he grant this interview?
(a) The man threatens to blackmail him.
(b) Elsa begs him to grant it.
(c) So the young man doesn't lose his job.
(d) Because he is friends with the man's parents.
14. How does the new prestige of the award from Chapter Ten affect Einstein's behavior?
(a) He withdraws from the public.
(b) He does not change his simple habits.
(c) He grows angry and bitter.
(d) He becomes more refined.
15. Einstein doesn't usually enjoy movies, but he does appreciate the one he attends as a guest of which movie star in Chapter Eleven?
(a) Fred Astaire.
(b) Charlie Chaplin.
(c) Clark Gable.
(d) Shirley Temple.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Einstein's favorite part about the job at the new university as Chapter Thirteen begins?
2. When asked by a reporter if he is happy in America, how does Einstein respond?
3. In the opening of Chapter Ten, the author mentions that the ____________ is one of the greatest honors that comes to any scientist, writer, or humanitarian.
4. Einstein is very happy to travel to California as Chapter Eleven begins because he gets to meet ______________, one of his early inspirations.
5. What is Einstein's attitude about his new celebrity status at the beginning of Chapter Eight?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)