|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of the following, who is NOT present at Einstein's welcome to America in Chapter Eleven?
(a) John D. Rockefeller, Jr.
(b) Mayor Walker.
(c) Dr. Butler.
(d) President Taft.
2. During the racial purge of German Universities, which of the following groups are NOT fired?
(b) Older professors.
(c) Those married to Jewish women.
3. Why is Einstein disgusted with his quarters on the ship for America?
(a) They are too close to steerage.
(b) They are too luxurious.
(c) They are not luxurious enough.
(d) They are not close to the kitchen.
4. Which of the following does the author NOT mention as current possible benefits of atomic power?
(a) Conquering diseases.
(b) Conquering other countries.
(c) Conquering poverty.
(d) Conquering deserts.
5. In Chapter Thirteen, Infeld says of the professor, "Once a work is finished his interest in it ____".
(a) Becomes different.
6. The author ends the book by quoting what important person?
(a) Hans Albert Einstein.
(b) Mrs. Einstein.
(c) President Taft.
(d) President Eisenhower.
7. What is Einstein's favorite part about the job at the new university as Chapter Thirteen begins?
(a) He makes more money.
(b) It is informal.
(c) It is a bigger school.
(d) He has a better house.
8. The city of Berlin decides to give Einstein what for his 50th birthday?
(a) A beautiful plaque in appreciation.
(b) A statue in the center of town.
(c) A park bearing his name.
(d) A new house on the river.
9. Who is present when Einstein dies at the end of Chapter Fourteen?
(b) Night nurse.
10. After Einstein's meeting with the German consul, one of the staff says what about Einstein's decision not to return to Germany?
(a) He is being selfish.
(b) He is worried about nothing.
(c) It is a foolish decision.
(d) It is a wise decision.
11. In Chapter Fourteen, some of Einstein's colleagues ask him to set up a meeting with ________ to discuss their work on the atom bomb.
(a) President Hoover.
(b) President Taft.
(c) President Truman.
(d) President Roosevelt.
12. Einstein is very happy to travel to California as Chapter Eleven begins because he gets to meet ______________, one of his early inspirations.
(b) Madame Curie.
13. With which detractors of his theories does Einstein grow particularly angry?
(a) Those who don't understand his theory.
(b) Those who are academically jealous.
(c) Those who attack him on personal matters.
(d) Those who set out to prove he is crazy.
14. Once the atomic bomb is built and tested, how does Einstein recommend the US proceed?
(a) Never use the bomb.
(b) Use the bomb on any nation with which the US disagrees.
(c) Warn enemy nations of the bomb's potential.
(d) Bomb one or two enemy nations.
15. What universities does Einstein NOT visit on his trip in Chapter Eight?
(a) Cal Tech.
Short Answer Questions
1. Einstein's peers feel he has what attitude toward his country during Chapter Nine?
2. In what area does Mrs. Einstein excel?
3. At the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, Einstein finally resumes his research on what?
4. What is Mrs. Einstein's role in her husband's new fame?
5. The Commission for the Co-operation of Intellectuals is a part of which world organization?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)