|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what area does Mrs. Einstein excel?
(a) Complex things like writing new theories.
(b) Simple things like writing letters.
(c) Common things like tipping people and keeping track of bills.
(d) Difficult tasks such as redecorating the house.
2. What is ironic about Hitler's attitude toward Einstein in Chapter Twelve?
(a) Einstein agrees with Hitler's policies.
(b) Einstein is not particularly tied to his religion.
(c) Einstein makes Hitler famous.
(d) Einstein doesn't live in Germany.
3. During Chapter Nine, how does Mrs. Einstein begin to feel about their fame?
(a) She doesn't wish to return home to their former life.
(b) She is concerned about how it affects her children.
(c) She is happier than ever.
(d) She is growing frustrated with it all.
4. Who comes to live with Einstein early in Chapter Fourteen?
5. To which country do the Einsteins move after leaving America?
6. Einstein returns to work at the end of Chapter Thirteen. Why is this unusual?
(a) His wife dies a few days earlier.
(b) It is the holidays.
(c) He is no longer being paid.
(d) He has no work to do.
7. Who is present when Einstein dies at the end of Chapter Fourteen?
(a) Night nurse.
8. One of the people who attends Einstein's lecture in Paris is _____.
(a) Madame Curie.
(b) Rosalind Franklin.
(c) Rachel Carson.
(d) Virginia Apgar.
9. When asked by a reporter if he is happy in America, how does Einstein respond?
(a) "I am much happier when I leave it."
(b) "I think this place is a dump."
(c) "I don't mind living here."
(d) "I am very happy if I ever get to see it."
10. In the opening of Chapter Ten, the author mentions that the ____________ is one of the greatest honors that comes to any scientist, writer, or humanitarian.
(a) Nobel Prize.
(b) International Leadership Award.
(c) MacArthur Genius Award.
(d) National Medal of Science.
11. As the Einsteins prepare to return to California in 1932, Dr. Einstein tells his wife to take a long look at their house. Why?
(a) He intends to find one like it in America.
(b) He has a feeling they won't be returning.
(c) He is considering selling it and wants Elsa's opinion.
(d) It is a long trip and they won't see it for several months.
12. What is Einstein's favorite part about the job at the new university as Chapter Thirteen begins?
(a) It is a bigger school.
(b) It is informal.
(c) He makes more money.
(d) He has a better house.
13. Einstein grants one final interview to a young man in the safety of his cabin in Chapter Ten. Why does he grant this interview?
(a) Elsa begs him to grant it.
(b) Because he is friends with the man's parents.
(c) So the young man doesn't lose his job.
(d) The man threatens to blackmail him.
14. How does Einstein finally decide to deal with the autograph requests in Chapter Eight?
(a) Has a stamp of his signature made and has his wife answer them.
(b) Declares that the request must include money for charity.
(c) Stops answering them completely.
(d) Refuses to sign any more.
15. In Chapter Thirteen, Infeld says of the professor, "Once a work is finished his interest in it ____".
(d) Becomes different.
Short Answer Questions
1. Einstein always tries to help others. In what way does he try to help most in Chapter Thirteen?
2. What sad event happens to the Einstein family during Chapter Thirteen?
3. After Einstein's meeting with the German consul, one of the staff says what about Einstein's decision not to return to Germany?
4. Why is Einstein's assistant, Infeld, unable to answer a reporter's question on what Einstein thinks of the book they co-write?
5. As Einstein grows older, he discovers that he enjoys a new hobby. What is it?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)