|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of California do the Einsteins NOT enjoy?
(a) Beautiful foothills.
(b) Great hotel.
(c) Pacific ocean.
(d) Good weather.
2. After children sing carols at the Einstein house for Christmas, what reward does he offer them?
(a) A few pennies.
(b) Some cookies.
(c) He goes with them.
(d) Math lessons.
3. The author ends the book by quoting what important person?
(a) President Eisenhower.
(b) President Taft.
(c) Mrs. Einstein.
(d) Hans Albert Einstein.
4. The Commission for the Co-operation of Intellectuals is a part of which world organization?
(a) The G20.
(b) The League of Nations.
(c) The Security Council.
(d) The United Nations.
5. One of the people who attends Einstein's lecture in Paris is _____.
(a) Virginia Apgar.
(b) Rosalind Franklin.
(c) Madame Curie.
(d) Rachel Carson.
6. After Einstein's meeting with the German consul, one of the staff says what about Einstein's decision not to return to Germany?
(a) He is being selfish.
(b) It is a foolish decision.
(c) He is worried about nothing.
(d) It is a wise decision.
7. After Einstein becomes famous, the visitors coming to the house want a variety of things. Which of the following is NOT one of their demands?
(a) That he takes a better job.
(b) That he listens to theory/invention proposals.
(c) That he grants an interview.
(d) That he gives an autograph.
8. Hitler turns on the Jews first because he is not yet ready for war. He intends to wage war on all BUT WHICH of the following countries?
9. What is Einstein's attitude toward the murder of Walter Rathenau, Minister of Foreign Affairs, at the opening of Chapter Nine?
(a) He doesn't feel that it makes a difference in his life.
(b) He thinks Rathenau has it coming.
(c) He believes the man should be more careful.
(d) He is shocked and worried about the anti-Semitism rising in Germany.
10. In Hitler's eyes, Einstein is guilty because he is all BUT WHICH of the following?
(a) A scientist.
(b) A Jew.
(c) An internationalist.
(d) A pacifist.
11. Einstein's peers feel he has what attitude toward his country during Chapter Nine?
12. The President of Columbia University, in his introduction, says that Dr. Einstein gives the world...?
(a) "nothing special."
(b) "an intellectual lighthouse."
(c) "a grand new future."
(d) "a way to build weapons."
13. What universities does Einstein NOT visit on his trip in Chapter Eight?
(a) Cal Tech.
14. Of the following, who is NOT present at Einstein's welcome to America in Chapter Eleven?
(a) Dr. Butler.
(b) Mayor Walker.
(c) President Taft.
(d) John D. Rockefeller, Jr.
15. Einstein always tries to help others. In what way does he try to help most in Chapter Thirteen?
(a) Giving scholarships to good students.
(b) Rebuilding neighborhood homes.
(c) Getting refugees out of Europe.
(d) Donating to the war effort.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author states that several French physicists give Einstein a cold reception in Chapter Eight. What reason does the author give for this?
2. Einstein receives several gifts as he prepares to leave the US. What is his attitude toward these gifts?
3. Einstein has a medical issue in Chapter Ten. While in Switzerland, he has a ___________.
4. Some members of the city council in Berlin oppose giving Einstein a gift. In exasperation, Einstein does what?
5. When asked by a reporter if he is happy in America, how does Einstein respond?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)