|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In relation to Michelson and Morley's work, Einstein's theory claims what?
(a) There is nothing in motion in the universe.
(b) Michelson and Morley do their experiment incorrectly.
(c) The universe travels at the speed of sound.
(d) There is nothing absolutely at rest in the universe.
2. When Einstein first lectures on his theory in the US, he comments that, "It is all very simple." How does the audience respond?
(a) Gets up and leaves the lecture hall.
(b) Begins shouting at him.
(c) Stares at him silently.
(d) Bursts into laughter.
3. Based on Einstein's work, scientists follow clues on atomic energy and eventually learn how to do what?
(a) Split a plutonium atom.
(b) Harness solar energy to use as power.
(c) Transform a uranium atom into energy.
(d) Create a synthetic sun.
4. In the last few pages of Chapter One, how long does Einstein say it takes for him to gain a world reputation?
(a) Two years.
(b) A decade.
(c) Almost overnight.
(d) Six months.
5. Einstein tells Miss Dukas he let the boy from the porch in for what purpose?
(a) The weather is getting worse.
(b) To discuss an interesting theory.
(c) So that the boy can warm up and answer Einstein's questions.
(d) The boy brings Einstein's mail.
6. Einstein moves his family into a small apartment to save money, and the children wake up covered in bites. What is biting them?
7. What is the result of the total eclipse expeditions in Chapter Seven?
(a) They are unable to get the pictures needed.
(b) They get the pictures needed.
(c) The total eclipse does not happen as scheduled.
(d) The teams never gets to their destinations.
8. Toward the end of Chapter Three, Albert tells his father that he wishes to attend what institution?
(a) Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich.
(b) His old Gymnasium in Munich.
(c) The Science Institute in Berlin.
(d) MIT in the USA.
9. What does Einstein say is the most important part of the Royal Society's research, after he receives their findings on his theory?
(a) That other scientists take him seriously.
(b) That he can retire.
(c) That someone can take such wondeful pictures.
(d) That he is finally recognized for his work.
10. What impression does the reader have of Mileva's attitude toward her life during Chapter Six?
(a) She is frustrated and growing more and more unhappy.
(b) She is bored with her life and doesn't like their house.
(c) She doesn't spend much time thinking about it.
(d) She is completely pleased with her husband's success.
11. What kind of school does Einstein find in Aarau in Chapter Four?
(a) One where teachers really try to help their students learn.
(b) A difficult school where he quickly grows bored.
(c) The same kind of school he attends in Munich.
(d) A lazy place where teachers don't expect much of students.
12. According to Chapter One, what odd experience does Einstein have in Germany before he leaves?
(a) He is pursued by the media.
(b) The whole country hates him.
(c) He is first celebrated and then declared a traitor.
(d) His whole family dies of a mysterious illness.
13. Toward the end of Chapter One, Einstein finds a boy waiting for him on the porch. In what language does the boy speak to him?
14. In his spare time from work at the patent office, what does Einstein invent?
(a) A formula to measure the energy of the sun.
(b) A device for measuring small electric charges.
(c) A new way to calculate distance.
(d) A better way to measure gravity.
15. During Chapter Two, Albert tells his father that he wants something specific for his upcoming birthday. What is it?
(a) A horse.
(b) A compass.
(c) A baseball bat.
(d) A chemistry set.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author says that Albert and Maja resemble each other strongly except for one feature. What is different about the children?
2. The two American scientists, Michelson and Morley, are trying to measure the speed of what?
3. What is the most important part of school for Einstein's multi-cultural friends at his new school?
4. During dinner in Chapter Two, why is Mrs. Einstein impatient for the children to get finished with dinner?
5. Who takes care of Einstein after his divorce?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)