|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the boy from the porch think Einstein might help him?
(a) He is willing to pay.
(b) They are both refugees.
(c) They are related.
(d) He can blackmail Einstein.
2. In 1905, why don't other scientists know whether or not Einstein is correct?
(a) No one is able to recreate the experiment.
(b) No one understands his work well enough to do the experiments.
(c) No one takes him seriously.
(d) No one hears of his work.
3. Einstein moves his family into a small apartment to save money, and the children wake up covered in bites. What is biting them?
4. What solution does Uncle Jake propose for Albert's difficulties in school?
(a) That Albert drops out of school.
(b) That Albert stay after school to ask questions.
(c) That Albert tries harder to pay attention at school.
(d) That Albert come to him with questions.
5. When finally able to test the theory, researchers discover what about Einstein's work?
(a) He is wrong.
(b) He is correct.
(c) He makes it all up.
(d) He makes no sense at all.
6. Toward the end of Chapter One, Einstein finds a boy waiting for him on the porch. In what language does the boy speak to him?
7. Einstein tells Miss Dukas he let the boy from the porch in for what purpose?
(a) So that the boy can warm up and answer Einstein's questions.
(b) The boy brings Einstein's mail.
(c) To discuss an interesting theory.
(d) The weather is getting worse.
8. After dinner, Albert claims he'll be able to sleep better if he can take what to bed?
(a) A glass of water.
(b) A warm blanket.
(c) His teddy bear.
(d) The compass.
9. Albert's mother usually lets him stay up late to listen to music, but tonight she sends him to bed. Why?
(a) He is late for supper.
(b) He is misbehaving all day.
(c) She is tired of answering his questions.
(d) His cheeks are flushed and she's worried he is getting a fever.
10. Miss Dukas reproves Einstein for doing what toward the end of Chapter One?
(a) Letting strangers into the house.
(b) Going out without his socks.
(c) Talking to too many people on his way home.
(d) Drinking coffee at the coffee shop.
11. Einstein mentions that his father shows him a charm on a watch chain when he is about five. What is the charm?
(a) A dog.
(b) A fish.
(c) A compass.
(d) A planet.
12. After Albert is asked not to return to his school, Hermann tells his son that he can't support him anymore. Why?
(a) Albert is too old to live at home.
(b) They no longer get along well.
(c) His electrical shops fail.
(d) He is ready to retire.
13. Why is Hermann Einstein pleased when his son displays interest in the pocket watch?
(a) Albert usually throws a temper tantrum when in trouble.
(b) He is glad his son can tell time.
(c) He is happy that the Albert is sorry for his behavior.
(d) Albert seldom expresses interest about anything.
14. When Einstein first lectures on his theory in the US, he comments that, "It is all very simple." How does the audience respond?
(a) Stares at him silently.
(b) Gets up and leaves the lecture hall.
(c) Begins shouting at him.
(d) Bursts into laughter.
15. What reason does the author mention for why Mileva is unhappy in her marriage?
(a) Her children are badly behaved.
(b) She has to keep house and has no time for learning.
(c) She no longer loves her husband.
(d) Her husband never spends any time with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. During dinner, Maja tells her parents that her brother likes to do what?
2. Why does Hermann Einstein know more about science than the average businessman?
3. After he becomes a Swiss citizen, Einstein is able to secure a government job in what field?
4. As the war drags on, scientists in which country are planning to test Einstein's theory on the total eclipse?
5. What kind of school does Einstein find in Aarau in Chapter Four?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)