|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the time this story takes place, Einstein is living in what country?
(d) United States.
2. In 1905, why don't other scientists know whether or not Einstein is correct?
(a) No one is able to recreate the experiment.
(b) No one takes him seriously.
(c) No one hears of his work.
(d) No one understands his work well enough to do the experiments.
3. According to Chapter One, what odd experience does Einstein have in Germany before he leaves?
(a) His whole family dies of a mysterious illness.
(b) The whole country hates him.
(c) He is first celebrated and then declared a traitor.
(d) He is pursued by the media.
4. Mrs. Einstein worries that her son has difficulty in school. What reason does she NOT mention for being worried?
(a) He is shy.
(b) He is disrespectful.
(c) No one knows what to expect from him.
(d) He spends too much time dreaming.
5. When Einstein first lectures on his theory in the US, he comments that, "It is all very simple." How does the audience respond?
(a) Bursts into laughter.
(b) Stares at him silently.
(c) Begins shouting at him.
(d) Gets up and leaves the lecture hall.
6. When asked if the new Mrs. Einstein understands the theory of relativity, how does Einstein respond?
(a) He never tries to explain it to her.
(b) It totally confuses her.
(c) She completely understands it.
(d) She helps him come up with it.
7. What does Einstein say he thinks is the result of seeing the charm on his father's watch?
(a) First arouses his interest in science.
(b) Makes him hate his father.
(c) Drives him to study geology.
(d) Creates his curiosity.
8. On his walk at the opening of Chapter One, who does Einstein NOT greet?
(a) The postman.
(b) Another professor.
(c) His boss.
(d) A young girl.
9. After Albert is asked not to return to his school, Hermann tells his son that he can't support him anymore. Why?
(a) His electrical shops fail.
(b) They no longer get along well.
(c) Albert is too old to live at home.
(d) He is ready to retire.
10. As the war drags on, scientists in which country are planning to test Einstein's theory on the total eclipse?
11. The author says that Albert and Maja resemble each other strongly except for one feature. What is different about the children?
(a) Maja is polite, while Albert is rude.
(b) Maja is short, while Albert is very tall.
(c) Maja is blonde, while Albert has dark hair.
(d) Maja's eyes twinkle with laughter, while Albert's are clouded with dreams.
12. Why is Hermann annoyed when the family sits down to dinner in Chapter Two?
(a) His daughter is misbehaving.
(b) Albert does not come in for dinner.
(c) The mashed potatoes are cold.
(d) The knife he is using is dull.
13. What solution does Uncle Jake propose for Albert's difficulties in school?
(a) That Albert come to him with questions.
(b) That Albert stay after school to ask questions.
(c) That Albert tries harder to pay attention at school.
(d) That Albert drops out of school.
14. Based on Einstein's work, scientists follow clues on atomic energy and eventually learn how to do what?
(a) Split a plutonium atom.
(b) Harness solar energy to use as power.
(c) Transform a uranium atom into energy.
(d) Create a synthetic sun.
15. At the time it is published, the popular saying about Einstein's famous theory is what?
(a) The idea is an old one that everyone knows about.
(b) It changes the world.
(c) Only a dozen men in the world understand it.
(d) He is completely insane.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Einsteins come to the conclusion that they should divorce. What does the author say about their relationship after the divorce?
2. A boy in the coffee shop makes fun of Einstein as an absent-minded professor. How does the shop owner respond?
3. What reason does Albert give when asked why he doesn't ask his teachers questions?
4. What types of questions does Albert think about when he visits the church on his way home from school?
5. Why is the hometown of the boy waiting on the porch significant to Einstein?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)