|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Einstein's work, and the work of scientists after him, eventually lead to the creation of what?
(a) Atomic bomb.
(b) National Guild of Scientists.
(c) Nuclear fusion.
(d) Solar energy.
2. Chapter Two ends with Mrs. Einstein expressing her desire that her son becomes what?
(a) A violinist.
(b) A professor.
(c) A factory owner.
(d) A good father.
3. The author says that Albert and Maja resemble each other strongly except for one feature. What is different about the children?
(a) Maja is short, while Albert is very tall.
(b) Maja's eyes twinkle with laughter, while Albert's are clouded with dreams.
(c) Maja is polite, while Albert is rude.
(d) Maja is blonde, while Albert has dark hair.
4. Mrs. Einstein thinks her young son's problems are perhaps due to what?
(a) He is a bad kid.
(b) He is a sickly child.
(c) He doesn't understand English.
(d) He is slow in learning to speak.
5. After Albert is asked not to return to his school, Hermann tells his son that he can't support him anymore. Why?
(a) He is ready to retire.
(b) His electrical shops fail.
(c) Albert is too old to live at home.
(d) They no longer get along well.
6. Chapter Five opens with Einstein presenting his paper on what?
(a) Theory of Gravity.
(b) Theory of Relativity.
(c) Theory of Space Travel.
(d) Theory of Celestial Bodies.
7. What reason does the author mention for why Mileva is unhappy in her marriage?
(a) Her children are badly behaved.
(b) She has to keep house and has no time for learning.
(c) She no longer loves her husband.
(d) Her husband never spends any time with her.
8. How does Uncle Jake feel when Albert admits how he feels about school?
(a) Secretly sympathetic.
9. What is the result of the total eclipse expeditions in Chapter Seven?
(a) The total eclipse does not happen as scheduled.
(b) They get the pictures needed.
(c) They are unable to get the pictures needed.
(d) The teams never gets to their destinations.
10. During dinner in Chapter Two, why is Mrs. Einstein impatient for the children to get finished with dinner?
(a) Albert needs to do his homework.
(b) They are having dessert.
(c) Her husband's employees are coming to enjoy some music.
(d) She and her husband have a date.
11. What kind of school does Albert attend in Chapter Two?
12. Why does Hermann Einstein know more about science than the average businessman?
(a) His son teaches him.
(b) His factory produces electrical and chemical supplies.
(c) He has a PhD in chemistry.
(d) He has read a great deal about science.
13. During Chapter Six, in which of the following cities do Einstein and his family NOT live?
14. The boy Miss Dukas leaves on the porch mentions to Einstein that his family all die in concentration camps, and that he is from what city?
15. In Chapter Two, the reader learns that Hermann Einstein does what for a living?
(a) He is a factory owner.
(b) Travels around giving speeches.
(c) Writes a newspaper.
(d) He is unemployed.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Six, a friend offers Einstein three positions in Berlin. Which of the following is NOT offered?
2. Einstein encourages other scientists to check his theories, one of which requires a total eclipse. What prevents that experiment?
3. Albert's nursery governess says what about her experience taking the children to the park?
4. Einstein is most interested in what part of being a professor?
5. When Einstein first lectures on his theory in the US, he comments that, "It is all very simple." How does the audience respond?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)