|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hermann Einstein know more about science than the average businessman?
(a) He has read a great deal about science.
(b) His factory produces electrical and chemical supplies.
(c) His son teaches him.
(d) He has a PhD in chemistry.
2. Chapter Five opens with Einstein presenting his paper on what?
(a) Theory of Gravity.
(b) Theory of Relativity.
(c) Theory of Space Travel.
(d) Theory of Celestial Bodies.
3. Einstein's work, and the work of scientists after him, eventually lead to the creation of what?
(a) National Guild of Scientists.
(b) Solar energy.
(c) Nuclear fusion.
(d) Atomic bomb.
4. What types of questions does Albert think about when he visits the church on his way home from school?
(a) Human behavior.
(b) Religious issues.
(c) Science issues.
5. What kind of school does Einstein find in Aarau in Chapter Four?
(a) A lazy place where teachers don't expect much of students.
(b) The same kind of school he attends in Munich.
(c) A difficult school where he quickly grows bored.
(d) One where teachers really try to help their students learn.
6. At the time this story takes place, Einstein is living in what country?
(a) United States.
7. The Swiss schools are not anxious to hire Einstein for all BUT WHICH of the following reasons?
(a) He is a beginner.
(b) He is a foreigner.
(c) He is a Jew.
(d) He is not qualified.
8. What nickname do the boys at school give Albert?
(a) Honest John.
(b) Dumb Albie.
(c) Evil Einstein.
(d) Nosey Bertie.
9. During dinner, Maja tells her parents that her brother likes to do what?
(a) Pick on other children.
(b) Make up songs and sing them.
(c) Play in the sand pile.
(d) Throw rocks at animals.
10. Einstein encourages other scientists to check his theories, one of which requires a total eclipse. What prevents that experiment?
(a) World War 1.
(b) Franco-Prussian War.
(c) Russian Civil War.
(d) World War 2.
11. Mrs. Einstein worries that her son has difficulty in school. What reason does she NOT mention for being worried?
(a) He is shy.
(b) He is disrespectful.
(c) No one knows what to expect from him.
(d) He spends too much time dreaming.
12. What reason does the author mention for why Mileva is unhappy in her marriage?
(a) Her children are badly behaved.
(b) She has to keep house and has no time for learning.
(c) She no longer loves her husband.
(d) Her husband never spends any time with her.
13. The author says that Albert and Maja resemble each other strongly except for one feature. What is different about the children?
(a) Maja is blonde, while Albert has dark hair.
(b) Maja is short, while Albert is very tall.
(c) Maja's eyes twinkle with laughter, while Albert's are clouded with dreams.
(d) Maja is polite, while Albert is rude.
14. Albert's nursery governess says what about her experience taking the children to the park?
(a) It usually starts raining by the time they get there.
(b) Maja starts fights with other children.
(c) Albert always refuses to play with other children.
(d) She spends all her time knitting.
15. On his walk at the opening of Chapter One, who does Einstein NOT greet?
(a) The postman.
(b) A young girl.
(c) His boss.
(d) Another professor.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Einsteins come to the conclusion that they should divorce. What does the author say about their relationship after the divorce?
2. Which of the following does Einstein NOT enjoy in Chapter Seven?
3. Why does the boy from the porch think Einstein might help him?
4. How does Einstein feel about Mileva's ambitions?
5. Miss Dukas reproves Einstein for doing what toward the end of Chapter One?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)