|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Einstein moves his family into a small apartment to save money, and the children wake up covered in bites. What is biting them?
2. In 1905, why don't other scientists know whether or not Einstein is correct?
(a) No one takes him seriously.
(b) No one understands his work well enough to do the experiments.
(c) No one hears of his work.
(d) No one is able to recreate the experiment.
3. What is Einstein's attitude toward politics during Chapter Seven?
(a) He is never interested.
(b) He is involved for a long time.
(c) He thinks it ridiculous.
(d) He finds it fascinating.
4. Chapter Two ends with Mrs. Einstein expressing her desire that her son becomes what?
(a) A factory owner.
(b) A professor.
(c) A good father.
(d) A violinist.
5. When Einstein first lectures on his theory in the US, he comments that, "It is all very simple." How does the audience respond?
(a) Stares at him silently.
(b) Begins shouting at him.
(c) Gets up and leaves the lecture hall.
(d) Bursts into laughter.
6. Toward the end of Chapter Three, Albert tells his father that he wishes to attend what institution?
(a) Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich.
(b) The Science Institute in Berlin.
(c) His old Gymnasium in Munich.
(d) MIT in the USA.
7. The boy Miss Dukas leaves on the porch mentions to Einstein that his family all die in concentration camps, and that he is from what city?
8. What reason does Hermann give for moving his family to Munich?
(a) He needs a job.
(b) He wants his son to get a good education.
(c) His parents are close by.
(d) His wife is happier there.
9. The reader learns that Einstein helps a girl understand a math question. How is she going to repay him for his help?
(b) An ice cream cone.
(c) Clean his house.
(d) Run errands for him.
10. When asked if the new Mrs. Einstein understands the theory of relativity, how does Einstein respond?
(a) She completely understands it.
(b) It totally confuses her.
(c) He never tries to explain it to her.
(d) She helps him come up with it.
11. Einstein's responses to the people he meets during the course of chapter one suggest what about his character?
(a) He thinks the other citizens are dumb and makes fun of them.
(b) No one knows who he is.
(c) He knows he is smarter than everyone else, and goes out of his way to show it.
(d) He is known and respected by everyone, and doesn't think he's better than others.
12. Shortly after the Einstein family relocates to Prague, Einstein is offered a full professorship where?
(a) The Science Institute in Berlin.
(b) MIT in the USA.
(c) Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich.
(d) His old Gymnasium in Munich.
13. What types of questions does Albert think about when he visits the church on his way home from school?
(b) Human behavior.
(c) Religious issues.
(d) Science issues.
14. Why is Albert glad that his uncle doesn't ask about his friends at school?
(a) He hates the other kids.
(b) He is too busy with his friends to focus on schoolwork.
(c) The other boys think he's stupid.
(d) He doesn't think he needs friends.
15. In the last few pages of Chapter One, how long does Einstein say it takes for him to gain a world reputation?
(a) Almost overnight.
(b) Six months.
(c) A decade.
(d) Two years.
Short Answer Questions
1. The two American scientists, Michelson and Morley, are trying to measure the speed of what?
2. What kind of school does Albert attend in Chapter Two?
3. Why is Hermann annoyed when the family sits down to dinner in Chapter Two?
4. Whom does Hermann suggest his son ask about the compass?
5. What does Einstein say he thinks is the result of seeing the charm on his father's watch?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)