|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During dinner in Chapter Two, why is Mrs. Einstein impatient for the children to get finished with dinner?
(a) They are having dessert.
(b) Albert needs to do his homework.
(c) Her husband's employees are coming to enjoy some music.
(d) She and her husband have a date.
2. Einstein encourages other scientists to check his theories, one of which requires a total eclipse. What prevents that experiment?
(a) World War 2.
(b) Russian Civil War.
(c) World War 1.
(d) Franco-Prussian War.
3. In Chapter Four, what kind of father is Einstein?
4. Einstein's responses to the people he meets during the course of chapter one suggest what about his character?
(a) He knows he is smarter than everyone else, and goes out of his way to show it.
(b) He is known and respected by everyone, and doesn't think he's better than others.
(c) He thinks the other citizens are dumb and makes fun of them.
(d) No one knows who he is.
5. What reason does the author mention for why Mileva is unhappy in her marriage?
(a) She has to keep house and has no time for learning.
(b) Her children are badly behaved.
(c) Her husband never spends any time with her.
(d) She no longer loves her husband.
6. When Einstein first lectures on his theory in the US, he comments that, "It is all very simple." How does the audience respond?
(a) Bursts into laughter.
(b) Stares at him silently.
(c) Begins shouting at him.
(d) Gets up and leaves the lecture hall.
7. At the opening of the book, what is the name of the street on which Einstein is walking?
(a) Mercer Street.
(b) Melbourne Street.
(c) Munich Street.
(d) MC Square.
8. Toward the end of Chapter Three, Albert tells his father that he wishes to attend what institution?
(a) The Science Institute in Berlin.
(b) Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich.
(c) MIT in the USA.
(d) His old Gymnasium in Munich.
9. At the time it is published, the popular saying about Einstein's famous theory is what?
(a) The idea is an old one that everyone knows about.
(b) Only a dozen men in the world understand it.
(c) He is completely insane.
(d) It changes the world.
10. Albert's mother usually lets him stay up late to listen to music, but tonight she sends him to bed. Why?
(a) She is tired of answering his questions.
(b) His cheeks are flushed and she's worried he is getting a fever.
(c) He is late for supper.
(d) He is misbehaving all day.
11. With what part of Einstein's job at the university is his wife dissatisfied in Chapter Six?
(a) The University doesn't promote his work.
(b) She doesn't like the other professors.
(c) She feels he doesn't have enough time for his family.
(d) She is concerned about their financial situation.
12. During dinner, Maja tells her parents that her brother likes to do what?
(a) Pick on other children.
(b) Throw rocks at animals.
(c) Make up songs and sing them.
(d) Play in the sand pile.
13. On his walk at the opening of Chapter One, who does Einstein NOT greet?
(a) His boss.
(b) A young girl.
(c) Another professor.
(d) The postman.
14. Shortly after the Einstein family relocates to Prague, Einstein is offered a full professorship where?
(a) MIT in the USA.
(b) His old Gymnasium in Munich.
(c) Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich.
(d) The Science Institute in Berlin.
15. What does Einstein's theory tell us about time and space?
(a) Neither of them are measurable.
(b) Neither of them matter.
(c) Neither go on forever in the same fixed way.
(d) Neither of them change.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the result of the total eclipse expeditions in Chapter Seven?
2. When finally able to test the theory, researchers discover what about Einstein's work?
3. What is Einstein's attitude toward politics during Chapter Seven?
4. Einstein meets Mileva Maritsch at his new school. On what do they spend most of their time?
5. When asked if the new Mrs. Einstein understands the theory of relativity, how does Einstein respond?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)