|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1905, why don't other scientists know whether or not Einstein is correct?
(a) No one takes him seriously.
(b) No one is able to recreate the experiment.
(c) No one understands his work well enough to do the experiments.
(d) No one hears of his work.
2. Why is Albert kicked out of school in Chapter Two?
(a) He asks too many questions and makes the teacher look bad.
(b) He makes rude comments about his teachers.
(c) He is absent too often.
(d) He starts too many fights.
3. According to Chapter One, what odd experience does Einstein have in Germany before he leaves?
(a) He is first celebrated and then declared a traitor.
(b) He is pursued by the media.
(c) His whole family dies of a mysterious illness.
(d) The whole country hates him.
4. What kind of school does Einstein find in Aarau in Chapter Four?
(a) The same kind of school he attends in Munich.
(b) A difficult school where he quickly grows bored.
(c) One where teachers really try to help their students learn.
(d) A lazy place where teachers don't expect much of students.
5. The reader learns that Einstein helps a girl understand a math question. How is she going to repay him for his help?
(a) Run errands for him.
(b) Clean his house.
(c) An ice cream cone.
6. What types of questions does Albert think about when he visits the church on his way home from school?
(a) Religious issues.
(c) Human behavior.
(d) Science issues.
7. Einstein mentions that his father shows him a charm on a watch chain when he is about five. What is the charm?
(a) A compass.
(b) A fish.
(c) A dog.
(d) A planet.
8. In Chapter Four, Mileva is disgusted with the Kaiser because he says women should be concerned only with what?
(a) Kitchen, Church, and Children.
(b) Family, Country, and Religion.
(c) Sewing, Children, and Money.
(d) Work, Church, and Husband.
9. Mrs. Einstein worries that her son has difficulty in school. What reason does she NOT mention for being worried?
(a) He spends too much time dreaming.
(b) No one knows what to expect from him.
(c) He is disrespectful.
(d) He is shy.
10. Einstein tells Miss Dukas he let the boy from the porch in for what purpose?
(a) To discuss an interesting theory.
(b) The boy brings Einstein's mail.
(c) The weather is getting worse.
(d) So that the boy can warm up and answer Einstein's questions.
11. The boy Miss Dukas leaves on the porch mentions to Einstein that his family all die in concentration camps, and that he is from what city?
12. After Albert is asked not to return to his school, Hermann tells his son that he can't support him anymore. Why?
(a) Albert is too old to live at home.
(b) His electrical shops fail.
(c) He is ready to retire.
(d) They no longer get along well.
13. What solution does Uncle Jake propose for Albert's difficulties in school?
(a) That Albert come to him with questions.
(b) That Albert stay after school to ask questions.
(c) That Albert drops out of school.
(d) That Albert tries harder to pay attention at school.
14. Einstein meets Mileva Maritsch at his new school. On what do they spend most of their time?
(a) Planning social revolution.
(b) Going out with friends.
(c) Reading and discussing scientific problems.
(d) Debating religious issues.
15. When Einstein graduates from the University of Zurich, what degree is he awarded?
(a) Associate of Physics.
(b) Doctorate of Physics.
(c) Doctorate of Chemistry.
(d) Bachelor of Science.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the opening of the book, what is the name of the street on which Einstein is walking?
2. Why is Hermann annoyed when the family sits down to dinner in Chapter Two?
3. Which of the following does Einstein NOT enjoy in Chapter Seven?
4. Einstein moves his family into a small apartment to save money, and the children wake up covered in bites. What is biting them?
5. What does Einstein say he thinks is the result of seeing the charm on his father's watch?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)