|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Chapter One, what odd experience does Einstein have in Germany before he leaves?
(a) The whole country hates him.
(b) He is pursued by the media.
(c) His whole family dies of a mysterious illness.
(d) He is first celebrated and then declared a traitor.
2. What reason does Albert give when asked why he doesn't ask his teachers questions?
(a) His teachers don't know the answers.
(b) They don't like him.
(c) Other kids make fun of him when he asks.
(d) He hates school.
3. What does Einstein's theory tell us about time and space?
(a) Neither of them change.
(b) Neither of them are measurable.
(c) Neither of them matter.
(d) Neither go on forever in the same fixed way.
4. Why does Hermann Einstein know more about science than the average businessman?
(a) He has a PhD in chemistry.
(b) His factory produces electrical and chemical supplies.
(c) He has read a great deal about science.
(d) His son teaches him.
5. What impression does the reader have of Mileva's attitude toward her life during Chapter Six?
(a) She is completely pleased with her husband's success.
(b) She is frustrated and growing more and more unhappy.
(c) She doesn't spend much time thinking about it.
(d) She is bored with her life and doesn't like their house.
6. Why is Hermann Einstein pleased when his son displays interest in the pocket watch?
(a) He is happy that the Albert is sorry for his behavior.
(b) Albert seldom expresses interest about anything.
(c) He is glad his son can tell time.
(d) Albert usually throws a temper tantrum when in trouble.
7. What reason does the author mention for why Mileva is unhappy in her marriage?
(a) Her children are badly behaved.
(b) She no longer loves her husband.
(c) Her husband never spends any time with her.
(d) She has to keep house and has no time for learning.
8. Mrs. Einstein thinks her son should have what when he turns six?
(a) Speech lessons.
(b) Math lessons.
(c) Music lessons.
(d) History lessons.
9. After Albert is asked not to return to his school, Hermann tells his son that he can't support him anymore. Why?
(a) His electrical shops fail.
(b) They no longer get along well.
(c) He is ready to retire.
(d) Albert is too old to live at home.
10. When finally able to test the theory, researchers discover what about Einstein's work?
(a) He is wrong.
(b) He makes it all up.
(c) He is correct.
(d) He makes no sense at all.
11. In Chapter Four, what kind of father is Einstein?
12. What is the most important part of school for Einstein's multi-cultural friends at his new school?
(a) A diploma.
(b) Being away from their families.
13. How does Einstein refer to the way he feels about lecturing at the university?
(a) "A silly, pointless exercise."
(b) "Performances on the trapeze."
(c) "The best work I've ever done."
(d) "My calling in life."
14. What solution does Uncle Jake propose for Albert's difficulties in school?
(a) That Albert drops out of school.
(b) That Albert stay after school to ask questions.
(c) That Albert tries harder to pay attention at school.
(d) That Albert come to him with questions.
15. How does Uncle Jake feel when Albert admits how he feels about school?
(a) Secretly sympathetic.
Short Answer Questions
1. Einstein's theory explains what about the sun?
2. Why is Albert kicked out of school in Chapter Two?
3. At the opening of the book, what is the name of the street on which Einstein is walking?
4. Why is the hometown of the boy waiting on the porch significant to Einstein?
5. Why does the boy from the porch think Einstein might help him?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)