|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Einstein say is the most important part of the Royal Society's research, after he receives their findings on his theory?
(a) That he can retire.
(b) That he is finally recognized for his work.
(c) That other scientists take him seriously.
(d) That someone can take such wondeful pictures.
2. During Chapter Two, Albert tells his father that he wants something specific for his upcoming birthday. What is it?
(a) A baseball bat.
(b) A horse.
(c) A compass.
(d) A chemistry set.
3. Einstein mentions that his father shows him a charm on a watch chain when he is about five. What is the charm?
(a) A dog.
(b) A compass.
(c) A fish.
(d) A planet.
4. After he becomes a Swiss citizen, Einstein is able to secure a government job in what field?
(a) Patent Office.
(c) Postal Service.
5. During dinner, Maja tells her parents that her brother likes to do what?
(a) Throw rocks at animals.
(b) Play in the sand pile.
(c) Make up songs and sing them.
(d) Pick on other children.
6. When Einstein first lectures on his theory in the US, he comments that, "It is all very simple." How does the audience respond?
(a) Stares at him silently.
(b) Bursts into laughter.
(c) Begins shouting at him.
(d) Gets up and leaves the lecture hall.
7. How does Einstein feel about Mileva's ambitions?
(a) He thinks she is beautiful and charming.
(b) He thinks she should focus more on housework.
(c) He thinks she is dumb and dislikes talking to her.
(d) He thinks she is brilliant and enjoys her company.
8. What reason does the author mention for why Mileva is unhappy in her marriage?
(a) She has to keep house and has no time for learning.
(b) She no longer loves her husband.
(c) Her husband never spends any time with her.
(d) Her children are badly behaved.
9. Whom does Hermann suggest his son ask about the compass?
(a) Uncle Jake.
(b) His teacher.
(c) Cousin Elma.
(d) His mother.
10. Shortly after the Einstein family relocates to Prague, Einstein is offered a full professorship where?
(a) MIT in the USA.
(b) The Science Institute in Berlin.
(c) Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich.
(d) His old Gymnasium in Munich.
11. Einstein meets Mileva Maritsch at his new school. On what do they spend most of their time?
(a) Planning social revolution.
(b) Reading and discussing scientific problems.
(c) Debating religious issues.
(d) Going out with friends.
12. What does Mileva say she misses about Switzerland during Chapter Six?
(a) Their friends are much nicer.
(b) Their house is better.
(c) People leave them alone.
(d) All races get along well together.
13. The boy Miss Dukas leaves on the porch mentions to Einstein that his family all die in concentration camps, and that he is from what city?
14. Mileva decides to add to the household income by supplementing her husband's university job with income from what?
(a) Working in a factory.
(b) Giving piano lessons.
(c) Tutoring students.
(d) Taking in boarders.
15. At the opening of the book, what is the name of the street on which Einstein is walking?
(a) Mercer Street.
(b) Munich Street.
(c) MC Square.
(d) Melbourne Street.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mrs. Einstein thinks her son should have what when he turns six?
2. The author says that Albert and Maja resemble each other strongly except for one feature. What is different about the children?
3. Who becomes Einstein's second wife?
4. What impression does the reader have of Mileva's attitude toward her life during Chapter Six?
5. At the time this story takes place, Einstein is living in what country?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)