|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Miss Dukas let the strange boy waiting for Einstein on the porch come inside the house?
(a) She thinks the boy tries to steal Einstein's work.
(b) She thinks the boy is trying to sell something.
(c) She knows Einstein doesn't like doing interviews.
(d) The boy is poor and dirty.
2. The reader learns that Einstein helps a girl understand a math question. How is she going to repay him for his help?
(b) Run errands for him.
(c) Clean his house.
(d) An ice cream cone.
3. What does Einstein say is the most important part of the Royal Society's research, after he receives their findings on his theory?
(a) That someone can take such wondeful pictures.
(b) That he can retire.
(c) That other scientists take him seriously.
(d) That he is finally recognized for his work.
4. Einstein tells Miss Dukas he let the boy from the porch in for what purpose?
(a) To discuss an interesting theory.
(b) The weather is getting worse.
(c) So that the boy can warm up and answer Einstein's questions.
(d) The boy brings Einstein's mail.
5. What does Einstein's theory tell us about time and space?
(a) Neither of them are measurable.
(b) Neither of them change.
(c) Neither go on forever in the same fixed way.
(d) Neither of them matter.
6. Einstein meets Mileva Maritsch at his new school. On what do they spend most of their time?
(a) Reading and discussing scientific problems.
(b) Debating religious issues.
(c) Planning social revolution.
(d) Going out with friends.
7. Einstein's responses to the people he meets during the course of chapter one suggest what about his character?
(a) He thinks the other citizens are dumb and makes fun of them.
(b) He is known and respected by everyone, and doesn't think he's better than others.
(c) He knows he is smarter than everyone else, and goes out of his way to show it.
(d) No one knows who he is.
8. Chapter Two ends with Mrs. Einstein expressing her desire that her son becomes what?
(a) A good father.
(b) A violinist.
(c) A professor.
(d) A factory owner.
9. Based on Einstein's work, scientists follow clues on atomic energy and eventually learn how to do what?
(a) Transform a uranium atom into energy.
(b) Split a plutonium atom.
(c) Create a synthetic sun.
(d) Harness solar energy to use as power.
10. After dinner, Albert claims he'll be able to sleep better if he can take what to bed?
(a) A glass of water.
(b) The compass.
(c) A warm blanket.
(d) His teddy bear.
11. Why is Albert kicked out of school in Chapter Two?
(a) He asks too many questions and makes the teacher look bad.
(b) He starts too many fights.
(c) He makes rude comments about his teachers.
(d) He is absent too often.
12. How does Einstein feel about Mileva's ambitions?
(a) He thinks she should focus more on housework.
(b) He thinks she is beautiful and charming.
(c) He thinks she is brilliant and enjoys her company.
(d) He thinks she is dumb and dislikes talking to her.
13. During Chapter Two, Albert tells his father that he wants something specific for his upcoming birthday. What is it?
(a) A baseball bat.
(b) A horse.
(c) A compass.
(d) A chemistry set.
14. A boy in the coffee shop makes fun of Einstein as an absent-minded professor. How does the shop owner respond?
(a) He reproves the boy and says Einstein is the smartest man in the world.
(b) He laughs and joins in on the joke.
(c) He ignores the comment.
(d) He throws the boy out of his shop.
15. Einstein is most interested in what part of being a professor?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of school does Albert attend in Chapter Two?
2. In his spare time from work at the patent office, what does Einstein invent?
3. How many students attend Einstein's first few lectures at the university in Chapter Six?
4. When Einstein first lectures on his theory in the US, he comments that, "It is all very simple." How does the audience respond?
5. What impression does the reader have of Mileva's attitude toward her life during Chapter Six?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)