|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Albert's nursery governess says what about her experience taking the children to the park?
(a) It usually starts raining by the time they get there.
(b) Maja starts fights with other children.
(c) Albert always refuses to play with other children.
(d) She spends all her time knitting.
2. When Einstein graduates from the University of Zurich, what degree is he awarded?
(a) Doctorate of Physics.
(b) Doctorate of Chemistry.
(c) Associate of Physics.
(d) Bachelor of Science.
3. The author says that Albert and Maja resemble each other strongly except for one feature. What is different about the children?
(a) Maja is blonde, while Albert has dark hair.
(b) Maja is polite, while Albert is rude.
(c) Maja's eyes twinkle with laughter, while Albert's are clouded with dreams.
(d) Maja is short, while Albert is very tall.
4. The Einsteins come to the conclusion that they should divorce. What does the author say about their relationship after the divorce?
(a) They cannot stand living together.
(b) They hate each other.
(c) They ignore each other.
(d) They remain friends.
5. In relation to Michelson and Morley's work, Einstein's theory claims what?
(a) The universe travels at the speed of sound.
(b) There is nothing absolutely at rest in the universe.
(c) Michelson and Morley do their experiment incorrectly.
(d) There is nothing in motion in the universe.
6. In Chapter Six, a friend offers Einstein three positions in Berlin. Which of the following is NOT offered?
(a) Kaiser Wilhelm Institute of Berlin.
(b) University of Berlin.
(c) Prussian Academy of Sciences of Berlin.
(d) The Science Institute of Berlin.
7. Chapter Five opens with Einstein presenting his paper on what?
(a) Theory of Relativity.
(b) Theory of Space Travel.
(c) Theory of Gravity.
(d) Theory of Celestial Bodies.
8. In the last few pages of Chapter One, how long does Einstein say it takes for him to gain a world reputation?
(a) Almost overnight.
(b) Six months.
(c) Two years.
(d) A decade.
9. What types of questions does Albert think about when he visits the church on his way home from school?
(a) Human behavior.
(b) Science issues.
(d) Religious issues.
10. Whom does Hermann suggest his son ask about the compass?
(a) Uncle Jake.
(b) His teacher.
(c) Cousin Elma.
(d) His mother.
11. What reason does the author mention for why Mileva is unhappy in her marriage?
(a) She has to keep house and has no time for learning.
(b) Her husband never spends any time with her.
(c) Her children are badly behaved.
(d) She no longer loves her husband.
12. Based on Einstein's work, scientists follow clues on atomic energy and eventually learn how to do what?
(a) Split a plutonium atom.
(b) Transform a uranium atom into energy.
(c) Harness solar energy to use as power.
(d) Create a synthetic sun.
13. After Albert is asked not to return to his school, Hermann tells his son that he can't support him anymore. Why?
(a) Albert is too old to live at home.
(b) His electrical shops fail.
(c) He is ready to retire.
(d) They no longer get along well.
14. The reader learns that Einstein helps a girl understand a math question. How is she going to repay him for his help?
(a) An ice cream cone.
(b) Clean his house.
(d) Run errands for him.
15. How does Einstein refer to the way he feels about lecturing at the university?
(a) "My calling in life."
(b) "A silly, pointless exercise."
(c) "Performances on the trapeze."
(d) "The best work I've ever done."
Short Answer Questions
1. Mileva decides to add to the household income by supplementing her husband's university job with income from what?
2. What does Mileva say she misses about Switzerland during Chapter Six?
3. The two American scientists, Michelson and Morley, are trying to measure the speed of what?
4. How many students attend Einstein's first few lectures at the university in Chapter Six?
5. Chapter Two ends with Mrs. Einstein expressing her desire that her son becomes what?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)