|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of school does Albert attend in Chapter Two?
2. During dinner, Maja tells her parents that her brother likes to do what?
(a) Play in the sand pile.
(b) Pick on other children.
(c) Make up songs and sing them.
(d) Throw rocks at animals.
3. With what part of Einstein's job at the university is his wife dissatisfied in Chapter Six?
(a) She doesn't like the other professors.
(b) She feels he doesn't have enough time for his family.
(c) She is concerned about their financial situation.
(d) The University doesn't promote his work.
4. What does Einstein say is the most important part of the Royal Society's research, after he receives their findings on his theory?
(a) That he can retire.
(b) That someone can take such wondeful pictures.
(c) That other scientists take him seriously.
(d) That he is finally recognized for his work.
5. The title of Chapter Seven says that Einstein is sometimes called the _____________ of the Twentieth Century.
6. Why is Hermann annoyed when the family sits down to dinner in Chapter Two?
(a) Albert does not come in for dinner.
(b) The knife he is using is dull.
(c) The mashed potatoes are cold.
(d) His daughter is misbehaving.
7. The Swiss schools are not anxious to hire Einstein for all BUT WHICH of the following reasons?
(a) He is a beginner.
(b) He is a foreigner.
(c) He is a Jew.
(d) He is not qualified.
8. Albert's mother usually lets him stay up late to listen to music, but tonight she sends him to bed. Why?
(a) He is misbehaving all day.
(b) She is tired of answering his questions.
(c) He is late for supper.
(d) His cheeks are flushed and she's worried he is getting a fever.
9. At the time it is published, the popular saying about Einstein's famous theory is what?
(a) Only a dozen men in the world understand it.
(b) It changes the world.
(c) The idea is an old one that everyone knows about.
(d) He is completely insane.
10. How does Einstein feel about Mileva's ambitions?
(a) He thinks she is dumb and dislikes talking to her.
(b) He thinks she should focus more on housework.
(c) He thinks she is beautiful and charming.
(d) He thinks she is brilliant and enjoys her company.
11. Why does Hermann Einstein know more about science than the average businessman?
(a) He has read a great deal about science.
(b) His son teaches him.
(c) He has a PhD in chemistry.
(d) His factory produces electrical and chemical supplies.
12. What is Einstein's attitude toward politics during Chapter Seven?
(a) He finds it fascinating.
(b) He is never interested.
(c) He thinks it ridiculous.
(d) He is involved for a long time.
13. How many students attend Einstein's first few lectures at the university in Chapter Six?
14. In the last few pages of Chapter One, how long does Einstein say it takes for him to gain a world reputation?
(a) Six months.
(b) Two years.
(c) A decade.
(d) Almost overnight.
15. The boy Miss Dukas leaves on the porch mentions to Einstein that his family all die in concentration camps, and that he is from what city?
Short Answer Questions
1. Einstein's work, and the work of scientists after him, eventually lead to the creation of what?
2. At the time this story takes place, Einstein is living in what country?
3. Albert tells his uncle that being in school is like what?
4. What kind of school does Einstein find in Aarau in Chapter Four?
5. A boy in the coffee shop makes fun of Einstein as an absent-minded professor. How does the shop owner respond?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)