|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Mrs. Einstein asks how Albert gets his nickname at school, what does he tell her?
(a) He is usually mean to other kids.
(b) One of the teachers calls him that, and it sticks.
(c) He doesn't tell a lie to the teacher to stay out of trouble.
(d) He always asks dumb questions.
2. Einstein moves his family into a small apartment to save money, and the children wake up covered in bites. What is biting them?
3. Einstein meets Mileva Maritsch at his new school. On what do they spend most of their time?
(a) Planning social revolution.
(b) Reading and discussing scientific problems.
(c) Debating religious issues.
(d) Going out with friends.
4. Why is Albert kicked out of school in Chapter Two?
(a) He makes rude comments about his teachers.
(b) He asks too many questions and makes the teacher look bad.
(c) He is absent too often.
(d) He starts too many fights.
5. Why is Hermann annoyed when the family sits down to dinner in Chapter Two?
(a) Albert does not come in for dinner.
(b) His daughter is misbehaving.
(c) The mashed potatoes are cold.
(d) The knife he is using is dull.
6. The reader learns that Einstein helps a girl understand a math question. How is she going to repay him for his help?
(a) Clean his house.
(b) Run errands for him.
(c) An ice cream cone.
7. On his walk at the opening of Chapter One, who does Einstein NOT greet?
(a) His boss.
(b) The postman.
(c) A young girl.
(d) Another professor.
8. In Chapter Four, Einstein makes friends from other countries at his new school. What affect do their stories have on him?
(a) He plans a career in government.
(b) He begins dreaming of freedom for all men.
(c) He starts plotting a German revolution.
(d) He thinks they're lying and refuses to spend time with them.
9. What is the result of the total eclipse expeditions in Chapter Seven?
(a) The teams never gets to their destinations.
(b) The total eclipse does not happen as scheduled.
(c) They are unable to get the pictures needed.
(d) They get the pictures needed.
10. How does Einstein refer to the way he feels about lecturing at the university?
(a) "A silly, pointless exercise."
(b) "Performances on the trapeze."
(c) "The best work I've ever done."
(d) "My calling in life."
11. What does Einstein's theory tell us about time and space?
(a) Neither of them matter.
(b) Neither of them change.
(c) Neither of them are measurable.
(d) Neither go on forever in the same fixed way.
12. Why does the boy from the porch think Einstein might help him?
(a) They are both refugees.
(b) They are related.
(c) He is willing to pay.
(d) He can blackmail Einstein.
13. What does Einstein say he thinks is the result of seeing the charm on his father's watch?
(a) Drives him to study geology.
(b) Creates his curiosity.
(c) Makes him hate his father.
(d) First arouses his interest in science.
14. When Einstein first lectures on his theory in the US, he comments that, "It is all very simple." How does the audience respond?
(a) Bursts into laughter.
(b) Gets up and leaves the lecture hall.
(c) Stares at him silently.
(d) Begins shouting at him.
15. Einstein's theory explains what about the sun?
(a) How it can send light and heat without burning out.
(b) How it first comes into existence.
(c) How it creates heat.
(d) How it creates light.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the most important part of school for Einstein's multi-cultural friends at his new school?
2. Why is Hermann Einstein pleased when his son displays interest in the pocket watch?
3. When finally able to test the theory, researchers discover what about Einstein's work?
4. Albert tells his uncle that being in school is like what?
5. Toward the end of Chapter Seven, Einstein's theory is finally ______.
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)