|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does Einstein NOT enjoy in Chapter Seven?
(a) Formal parties.
(d) Musical concerts.
2. How does Einstein feel about Mileva's ambitions?
(a) He thinks she is brilliant and enjoys her company.
(b) He thinks she is dumb and dislikes talking to her.
(c) He thinks she should focus more on housework.
(d) He thinks she is beautiful and charming.
3. Why is Hermann annoyed when the family sits down to dinner in Chapter Two?
(a) Albert does not come in for dinner.
(b) The knife he is using is dull.
(c) The mashed potatoes are cold.
(d) His daughter is misbehaving.
4. What reason does Albert give when asked why he doesn't ask his teachers questions?
(a) They don't like him.
(b) He hates school.
(c) Other kids make fun of him when he asks.
(d) His teachers don't know the answers.
5. The Swiss schools are not anxious to hire Einstein for all BUT WHICH of the following reasons?
(a) He is a beginner.
(b) He is not qualified.
(c) He is a foreigner.
(d) He is a Jew.
6. At the time it is published, the popular saying about Einstein's famous theory is what?
(a) The idea is an old one that everyone knows about.
(b) Only a dozen men in the world understand it.
(c) He is completely insane.
(d) It changes the world.
7. What reason does Hermann give for moving his family to Munich?
(a) He needs a job.
(b) His parents are close by.
(c) His wife is happier there.
(d) He wants his son to get a good education.
8. Einstein mentions that his father shows him a charm on a watch chain when he is about five. What is the charm?
(a) A fish.
(b) A planet.
(c) A compass.
(d) A dog.
9. When Einstein first lectures on his theory in the US, he comments that, "It is all very simple." How does the audience respond?
(a) Gets up and leaves the lecture hall.
(b) Begins shouting at him.
(c) Bursts into laughter.
(d) Stares at him silently.
10. After the war, two teams are sent to record the total eclipse. Why are there two teams?
(a) In case the weather is bad in one location.
(b) One team is not very good.
(c) To verify that the results are not fake.
(d) International tension might make it difficult for teams to get to the location.
11. Shortly after the Einstein family relocates to Prague, Einstein is offered a full professorship where?
(a) The Science Institute in Berlin.
(b) His old Gymnasium in Munich.
(c) MIT in the USA.
(d) Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich.
12. What solution does Uncle Jake propose for Albert's difficulties in school?
(a) That Albert drops out of school.
(b) That Albert come to him with questions.
(c) That Albert stay after school to ask questions.
(d) That Albert tries harder to pay attention at school.
13. When Mrs. Einstein asks how Albert gets his nickname at school, what does he tell her?
(a) He doesn't tell a lie to the teacher to stay out of trouble.
(b) One of the teachers calls him that, and it sticks.
(c) He is usually mean to other kids.
(d) He always asks dumb questions.
14. Why is Hermann Einstein pleased when his son displays interest in the pocket watch?
(a) Albert usually throws a temper tantrum when in trouble.
(b) Albert seldom expresses interest about anything.
(c) He is glad his son can tell time.
(d) He is happy that the Albert is sorry for his behavior.
15. Einstein tells Miss Dukas he let the boy from the porch in for what purpose?
(a) So that the boy can warm up and answer Einstein's questions.
(b) The boy brings Einstein's mail.
(c) The weather is getting worse.
(d) To discuss an interesting theory.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Einsteins come to the conclusion that they should divorce. What does the author say about their relationship after the divorce?
2. Miss Dukas reproves Einstein for doing what toward the end of Chapter One?
3. Why does Hermann Einstein know more about science than the average businessman?
4. When asked if the new Mrs. Einstein understands the theory of relativity, how does Einstein respond?
5. The two American scientists, Michelson and Morley, are trying to measure the speed of what?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)