|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who takes care of Einstein after his divorce?
(a) His father, Hermann.
(b) His mother, Pauline.
(c) His cousin, Elsa.
(d) His wife, Mileva.
2. How does Uncle Jake feel when Albert admits how he feels about school?
(a) Secretly sympathetic.
3. Toward the end of Chapter Three, Albert tells his father that he wishes to attend what institution?
(a) His old Gymnasium in Munich.
(b) The Science Institute in Berlin.
(c) Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich.
(d) MIT in the USA.
4. The boy Miss Dukas leaves on the porch mentions to Einstein that his family all die in concentration camps, and that he is from what city?
5. What nickname do the boys at school give Albert?
(a) Honest John.
(b) Nosey Bertie.
(c) Evil Einstein.
(d) Dumb Albie.
6. Why is Hermann Einstein pleased when his son displays interest in the pocket watch?
(a) Albert seldom expresses interest about anything.
(b) Albert usually throws a temper tantrum when in trouble.
(c) He is happy that the Albert is sorry for his behavior.
(d) He is glad his son can tell time.
7. Einstein's theory explains what about the sun?
(a) How it creates light.
(b) How it first comes into existence.
(c) How it can send light and heat without burning out.
(d) How it creates heat.
8. When Mrs. Einstein asks how Albert gets his nickname at school, what does he tell her?
(a) He always asks dumb questions.
(b) He is usually mean to other kids.
(c) One of the teachers calls him that, and it sticks.
(d) He doesn't tell a lie to the teacher to stay out of trouble.
9. Einstein moves his family into a small apartment to save money, and the children wake up covered in bites. What is biting them?
10. Whom does Hermann suggest his son ask about the compass?
(a) Cousin Elma.
(b) His teacher.
(c) His mother.
(d) Uncle Jake.
11. What does Einstein say is the most important part of the Royal Society's research, after he receives their findings on his theory?
(a) That other scientists take him seriously.
(b) That he is finally recognized for his work.
(c) That someone can take such wondeful pictures.
(d) That he can retire.
12. The author says that Albert and Maja resemble each other strongly except for one feature. What is different about the children?
(a) Maja's eyes twinkle with laughter, while Albert's are clouded with dreams.
(b) Maja is blonde, while Albert has dark hair.
(c) Maja is short, while Albert is very tall.
(d) Maja is polite, while Albert is rude.
13. When Einstein graduates from the University of Zurich, what degree is he awarded?
(a) Associate of Physics.
(b) Bachelor of Science.
(c) Doctorate of Physics.
(d) Doctorate of Chemistry.
14. As the war drags on, scientists in which country are planning to test Einstein's theory on the total eclipse?
15. In Chapter Six, a friend offers Einstein three positions in Berlin. Which of the following is NOT offered?
(a) Prussian Academy of Sciences of Berlin.
(b) Kaiser Wilhelm Institute of Berlin.
(c) The Science Institute of Berlin.
(d) University of Berlin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mileva say she misses about Switzerland during Chapter Six?
2. Why is Albert glad that his uncle doesn't ask about his friends at school?
3. Why doesn't Miss Dukas let the strange boy waiting for Einstein on the porch come inside the house?
4. After dinner, Albert claims he'll be able to sleep better if he can take what to bed?
5. Chapter Two ends with Mrs. Einstein expressing her desire that her son becomes what?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)