|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the opening of the book, what is the name of the street on which Einstein is walking?
(a) MC Square.
(b) Melbourne Street.
(c) Munich Street.
(d) Mercer Street.
2. With what part of Einstein's job at the university is his wife dissatisfied in Chapter Six?
(a) She feels he doesn't have enough time for his family.
(b) She is concerned about their financial situation.
(c) The University doesn't promote his work.
(d) She doesn't like the other professors.
3. Albert tells his uncle that being in school is like what?
(a) Going to prison.
(b) Sleep walking.
(c) Going to the doctor.
(d) Being a soldier.
4. When finally able to test the theory, researchers discover what about Einstein's work?
(a) He makes it all up.
(b) He is wrong.
(c) He makes no sense at all.
(d) He is correct.
5. What is the most important part of school for Einstein's multi-cultural friends at his new school?
(b) Being away from their families.
(d) A diploma.
6. Einstein tells Miss Dukas he let the boy from the porch in for what purpose?
(a) The boy brings Einstein's mail.
(b) To discuss an interesting theory.
(c) So that the boy can warm up and answer Einstein's questions.
(d) The weather is getting worse.
7. What is the result of the total eclipse expeditions in Chapter Seven?
(a) They are unable to get the pictures needed.
(b) They get the pictures needed.
(c) The teams never gets to their destinations.
(d) The total eclipse does not happen as scheduled.
8. Albert's nursery governess says what about her experience taking the children to the park?
(a) Maja starts fights with other children.
(b) Albert always refuses to play with other children.
(c) It usually starts raining by the time they get there.
(d) She spends all her time knitting.
9. What solution does Uncle Jake propose for Albert's difficulties in school?
(a) That Albert tries harder to pay attention at school.
(b) That Albert stay after school to ask questions.
(c) That Albert come to him with questions.
(d) That Albert drops out of school.
10. In 1905, why don't other scientists know whether or not Einstein is correct?
(a) No one hears of his work.
(b) No one takes him seriously.
(c) No one understands his work well enough to do the experiments.
(d) No one is able to recreate the experiment.
11. A boy in the coffee shop makes fun of Einstein as an absent-minded professor. How does the shop owner respond?
(a) He laughs and joins in on the joke.
(b) He throws the boy out of his shop.
(c) He reproves the boy and says Einstein is the smartest man in the world.
(d) He ignores the comment.
12. Shortly after the Einstein family relocates to Prague, Einstein is offered a full professorship where?
(a) MIT in the USA.
(b) His old Gymnasium in Munich.
(c) Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich.
(d) The Science Institute in Berlin.
13. The Einsteins come to the conclusion that they should divorce. What does the author say about their relationship after the divorce?
(a) They cannot stand living together.
(b) They remain friends.
(c) They hate each other.
(d) They ignore each other.
14. Miss Dukas reproves Einstein for doing what toward the end of Chapter One?
(a) Talking to too many people on his way home.
(b) Drinking coffee at the coffee shop.
(c) Letting strangers into the house.
(d) Going out without his socks.
15. What reason does the author mention for why Mileva is unhappy in her marriage?
(a) She has to keep house and has no time for learning.
(b) She no longer loves her husband.
(c) Her husband never spends any time with her.
(d) Her children are badly behaved.
Short Answer Questions
1. The two American scientists, Michelson and Morley, are trying to measure the speed of what?
2. Einstein's theory explains what about the sun?
3. What impression does the reader have of Mileva's attitude toward her life during Chapter Six?
4. Why does the boy from the porch think Einstein might help him?
5. Einstein meets Mileva Maritsch at his new school. On what do they spend most of their time?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)