|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many students attend Einstein's first few lectures at the university in Chapter Six?
2. Einstein's responses to the people he meets during the course of chapter one suggest what about his character?
(a) He is known and respected by everyone, and doesn't think he's better than others.
(b) He knows he is smarter than everyone else, and goes out of his way to show it.
(c) He thinks the other citizens are dumb and makes fun of them.
(d) No one knows who he is.
3. Chapter Two ends with Mrs. Einstein expressing her desire that her son becomes what?
(a) A good father.
(b) A professor.
(c) A violinist.
(d) A factory owner.
4. Einstein meets Mileva Maritsch at his new school. On what do they spend most of their time?
(a) Going out with friends.
(b) Debating religious issues.
(c) Reading and discussing scientific problems.
(d) Planning social revolution.
5. After Albert is asked not to return to his school, Hermann tells his son that he can't support him anymore. Why?
(a) He is ready to retire.
(b) They no longer get along well.
(c) Albert is too old to live at home.
(d) His electrical shops fail.
6. What is the most important part of school for Einstein's multi-cultural friends at his new school?
(b) A diploma.
(d) Being away from their families.
7. During Chapter Six, in which of the following cities do Einstein and his family NOT live?
8. In 1905, why don't other scientists know whether or not Einstein is correct?
(a) No one hears of his work.
(b) No one takes him seriously.
(c) No one understands his work well enough to do the experiments.
(d) No one is able to recreate the experiment.
9. Einstein encourages other scientists to check his theories, one of which requires a total eclipse. What prevents that experiment?
(a) World War 2.
(b) World War 1.
(c) Russian Civil War.
(d) Franco-Prussian War.
10. Einstein moves his family into a small apartment to save money, and the children wake up covered in bites. What is biting them?
11. The boy Miss Dukas leaves on the porch mentions to Einstein that his family all die in concentration camps, and that he is from what city?
12. On his walk at the opening of Chapter One, who does Einstein NOT greet?
(a) Another professor.
(b) A young girl.
(c) His boss.
(d) The postman.
13. Which of the following does Einstein NOT enjoy in Chapter Seven?
(a) Formal parties.
(b) Musical concerts.
14. Why is Hermann annoyed when the family sits down to dinner in Chapter Two?
(a) The knife he is using is dull.
(b) His daughter is misbehaving.
(c) The mashed potatoes are cold.
(d) Albert does not come in for dinner.
15. A boy in the coffee shop makes fun of Einstein as an absent-minded professor. How does the shop owner respond?
(a) He throws the boy out of his shop.
(b) He laughs and joins in on the joke.
(c) He reproves the boy and says Einstein is the smartest man in the world.
(d) He ignores the comment.
Short Answer Questions
1. Toward the end of Chapter Two, Hermann finds Albert awake when he goes to check on the boy. Why does Albert say he's still awake?
2. What solution does Uncle Jake propose for Albert's difficulties in school?
3. Why is Hermann Einstein pleased when his son displays interest in the pocket watch?
4. What nickname do the boys at school give Albert?
5. In relation to Michelson and Morley's work, Einstein's theory claims what?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)