|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What impression does the reader have of Mileva's attitude toward her life during Chapter Six?
(a) She is completely pleased with her husband's success.
(b) She is bored with her life and doesn't like their house.
(c) She doesn't spend much time thinking about it.
(d) She is frustrated and growing more and more unhappy.
2. What is the most important part of school for Einstein's multi-cultural friends at his new school?
(c) Being away from their families.
(d) A diploma.
3. What does Einstein say is the most important part of the Royal Society's research, after he receives their findings on his theory?
(a) That other scientists take him seriously.
(b) That he can retire.
(c) That he is finally recognized for his work.
(d) That someone can take such wondeful pictures.
4. What reason does the author mention for why Mileva is unhappy in her marriage?
(a) Her husband never spends any time with her.
(b) Her children are badly behaved.
(c) She has to keep house and has no time for learning.
(d) She no longer loves her husband.
5. What does Einstein say he thinks is the result of seeing the charm on his father's watch?
(a) Creates his curiosity.
(b) Makes him hate his father.
(c) First arouses his interest in science.
(d) Drives him to study geology.
6. The Einsteins come to the conclusion that they should divorce. What does the author say about their relationship after the divorce?
(a) They cannot stand living together.
(b) They remain friends.
(c) They hate each other.
(d) They ignore each other.
7. What solution does Uncle Jake propose for Albert's difficulties in school?
(a) That Albert tries harder to pay attention at school.
(b) That Albert come to him with questions.
(c) That Albert drops out of school.
(d) That Albert stay after school to ask questions.
8. As the war drags on, scientists in which country are planning to test Einstein's theory on the total eclipse?
9. During dinner, Maja tells her parents that her brother likes to do what?
(a) Make up songs and sing them.
(b) Throw rocks at animals.
(c) Pick on other children.
(d) Play in the sand pile.
10. During Chapter Two, Albert tells his father that he wants something specific for his upcoming birthday. What is it?
(a) A horse.
(b) A chemistry set.
(c) A baseball bat.
(d) A compass.
11. Albert's nursery governess says what about her experience taking the children to the park?
(a) She spends all her time knitting.
(b) Maja starts fights with other children.
(c) It usually starts raining by the time they get there.
(d) Albert always refuses to play with other children.
12. At the time this story takes place, Einstein is living in what country?
(c) United States.
13. The title of Chapter Seven says that Einstein is sometimes called the _____________ of the Twentieth Century.
14. Why doesn't Miss Dukas let the strange boy waiting for Einstein on the porch come inside the house?
(a) She thinks the boy is trying to sell something.
(b) She thinks the boy tries to steal Einstein's work.
(c) The boy is poor and dirty.
(d) She knows Einstein doesn't like doing interviews.
15. During dinner in Chapter Two, why is Mrs. Einstein impatient for the children to get finished with dinner?
(a) She and her husband have a date.
(b) Her husband's employees are coming to enjoy some music.
(c) Albert needs to do his homework.
(d) They are having dessert.
Short Answer Questions
1. Toward the end of Chapter Three, Albert tells his father that he wishes to attend what institution?
2. The reader learns that Einstein helps a girl understand a math question. How is she going to repay him for his help?
3. The Swiss schools are not anxious to hire Einstein for all BUT WHICH of the following reasons?
4. What reason does Albert give when asked why he doesn't ask his teachers questions?
5. What is the result of the total eclipse expeditions in Chapter Seven?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)