|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In his spare time from work at the patent office, what does Einstein invent?
(a) A device for measuring small electric charges.
(b) A new way to calculate distance.
(c) A better way to measure gravity.
(d) A formula to measure the energy of the sun.
2. What is the result of the total eclipse expeditions in Chapter Seven?
(a) The total eclipse does not happen as scheduled.
(b) They get the pictures needed.
(c) The teams never gets to their destinations.
(d) They are unable to get the pictures needed.
3. Einstein's theory explains what about the sun?
(a) How it creates heat.
(b) How it can send light and heat without burning out.
(c) How it creates light.
(d) How it first comes into existence.
4. Why is Albert kicked out of school in Chapter Two?
(a) He asks too many questions and makes the teacher look bad.
(b) He starts too many fights.
(c) He makes rude comments about his teachers.
(d) He is absent too often.
5. In the last few pages of Chapter One, how long does Einstein say it takes for him to gain a world reputation?
(a) Two years.
(b) Six months.
(c) A decade.
(d) Almost overnight.
6. After he becomes a Swiss citizen, Einstein is able to secure a government job in what field?
(c) Postal Service.
(d) Patent Office.
7. After the war, two teams are sent to record the total eclipse. Why are there two teams?
(a) In case the weather is bad in one location.
(b) International tension might make it difficult for teams to get to the location.
(c) To verify that the results are not fake.
(d) One team is not very good.
8. When Einstein graduates from the University of Zurich, what degree is he awarded?
(a) Doctorate of Chemistry.
(b) Bachelor of Science.
(c) Associate of Physics.
(d) Doctorate of Physics.
9. Einstein meets Mileva Maritsch at his new school. On what do they spend most of their time?
(a) Going out with friends.
(b) Planning social revolution.
(c) Debating religious issues.
(d) Reading and discussing scientific problems.
10. Mileva decides to add to the household income by supplementing her husband's university job with income from what?
(a) Taking in boarders.
(b) Giving piano lessons.
(c) Tutoring students.
(d) Working in a factory.
11. At the time this story takes place, Einstein is living in what country?
(b) United States.
12. Toward the end of Chapter Two, Hermann finds Albert awake when he goes to check on the boy. Why does Albert say he's still awake?
(a) He is thinking.
(b) There is too much noise downstairs.
(c) He is mad at his sister.
(d) He doesn't feel well.
13. What does Mileva say she misses about Switzerland during Chapter Six?
(a) People leave them alone.
(b) All races get along well together.
(c) Their house is better.
(d) Their friends are much nicer.
14. What does Einstein say is the most important part of the Royal Society's research, after he receives their findings on his theory?
(a) That he is finally recognized for his work.
(b) That he can retire.
(c) That other scientists take him seriously.
(d) That someone can take such wondeful pictures.
15. During Chapter Six, in which of the following cities do Einstein and his family NOT live?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Einstein first lectures on his theory in the US, he comments that, "It is all very simple." How does the audience respond?
2. In Chapter Two, the reader learns that Hermann Einstein does what for a living?
3. Einstein is most interested in what part of being a professor?
4. In 1905, why don't other scientists know whether or not Einstein is correct?
5. Why does the boy from the porch think Einstein might help him?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)