|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter Four, Mileva is disgusted with the Kaiser because he says women should be concerned only with what?
(a) Kitchen, Church, and Children.
(b) Work, Church, and Husband.
(c) Sewing, Children, and Money.
(d) Family, Country, and Religion.
2. What kind of school does Albert attend in Chapter Two?
3. What reason does the author mention for why Mileva is unhappy in her marriage?
(a) Her children are badly behaved.
(b) She no longer loves her husband.
(c) She has to keep house and has no time for learning.
(d) Her husband never spends any time with her.
4. Miss Dukas reproves Einstein for doing what toward the end of Chapter One?
(a) Drinking coffee at the coffee shop.
(b) Letting strangers into the house.
(c) Talking to too many people on his way home.
(d) Going out without his socks.
5. Toward the end of Chapter Seven, Einstein's theory is finally ______.
(a) Proven correct.
(b) Proven irrelevant.
(c) Proven incorrect.
(d) Proven ridiculous.
6. What does Einstein tell the boy from the porch that he remembers best about Munich?
(a) Listening to his mother play Beethoven on the piano.
(b) Walking to school everyday.
(c) Playing with his sister in the front yard.
(d) Fighting on the playground.
7. At the opening of the book, what is the name of the street on which Einstein is walking?
(a) Munich Street.
(b) Melbourne Street.
(c) MC Square.
(d) Mercer Street.
8. Why is the hometown of the boy waiting on the porch significant to Einstein?
(a) He attends school there.
(b) It is also Einstein's hometown.
(c) His sister lives there.
(d) He is friends with a woman who lives there.
9. The Swiss schools are not anxious to hire Einstein for all BUT WHICH of the following reasons?
(a) He is a foreigner.
(b) He is a beginner.
(c) He is a Jew.
(d) He is not qualified.
10. Which of the following does Einstein NOT enjoy in Chapter Seven?
(a) Formal parties.
(c) Musical concerts.
11. The two American scientists, Michelson and Morley, are trying to measure the speed of what?
12. Whom does Hermann suggest his son ask about the compass?
(a) Cousin Elma.
(b) His mother.
(c) Uncle Jake.
(d) His teacher.
13. The boy Miss Dukas leaves on the porch mentions to Einstein that his family all die in concentration camps, and that he is from what city?
14. After the war, two teams are sent to record the total eclipse. Why are there two teams?
(a) In case the weather is bad in one location.
(b) One team is not very good.
(c) To verify that the results are not fake.
(d) International tension might make it difficult for teams to get to the location.
15. Albert tells his uncle that being in school is like what?
(a) Going to the doctor.
(b) Sleep walking.
(c) Being a soldier.
(d) Going to prison.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Six, a friend offers Einstein three positions in Berlin. Which of the following is NOT offered?
2. Einstein's work, and the work of scientists after him, eventually lead to the creation of what?
3. After he becomes a Swiss citizen, Einstein is able to secure a government job in what field?
4. On his walk at the opening of Chapter One, who does Einstein NOT greet?
5. What is the most important part of school for Einstein's multi-cultural friends at his new school?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)