|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the result of the total eclipse expeditions in Chapter Seven?
(a) They are unable to get the pictures needed.
(b) They get the pictures needed.
(c) The teams never gets to their destinations.
(d) The total eclipse does not happen as scheduled.
2. In Chapter Four, Mileva is disgusted with the Kaiser because he says women should be concerned only with what?
(a) Sewing, Children, and Money.
(b) Family, Country, and Religion.
(c) Work, Church, and Husband.
(d) Kitchen, Church, and Children.
3. In Chapter Four, what kind of father is Einstein?
4. Albert tells his uncle that being in school is like what?
(a) Sleep walking.
(b) Going to prison.
(c) Going to the doctor.
(d) Being a soldier.
5. As the war drags on, scientists in which country are planning to test Einstein's theory on the total eclipse?
6. After dinner, Albert claims he'll be able to sleep better if he can take what to bed?
(a) His teddy bear.
(b) A glass of water.
(c) A warm blanket.
(d) The compass.
7. How does Uncle Jake feel when Albert admits how he feels about school?
(d) Secretly sympathetic.
8. Based on Einstein's work, scientists follow clues on atomic energy and eventually learn how to do what?
(a) Transform a uranium atom into energy.
(b) Split a plutonium atom.
(c) Create a synthetic sun.
(d) Harness solar energy to use as power.
9. Toward the end of Chapter Two, Hermann finds Albert awake when he goes to check on the boy. Why does Albert say he's still awake?
(a) There is too much noise downstairs.
(b) He is thinking.
(c) He doesn't feel well.
(d) He is mad at his sister.
10. What kind of school does Einstein find in Aarau in Chapter Four?
(a) The same kind of school he attends in Munich.
(b) A lazy place where teachers don't expect much of students.
(c) One where teachers really try to help their students learn.
(d) A difficult school where he quickly grows bored.
11. Einstein mentions that his father shows him a charm on a watch chain when he is about five. What is the charm?
(a) A planet.
(b) A compass.
(c) A dog.
(d) A fish.
12. Who becomes Einstein's second wife?
13. Why does Hermann Einstein know more about science than the average businessman?
(a) His factory produces electrical and chemical supplies.
(b) His son teaches him.
(c) He has a PhD in chemistry.
(d) He has read a great deal about science.
14. Miss Dukas reproves Einstein for doing what toward the end of Chapter One?
(a) Drinking coffee at the coffee shop.
(b) Talking to too many people on his way home.
(c) Going out without his socks.
(d) Letting strangers into the house.
15. How does Einstein feel about Mileva's ambitions?
(a) He thinks she is dumb and dislikes talking to her.
(b) He thinks she is brilliant and enjoys her company.
(c) He thinks she is beautiful and charming.
(d) He thinks she should focus more on housework.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mrs. Einstein thinks her young son's problems are perhaps due to what?
2. Toward the end of Chapter One, Einstein finds a boy waiting for him on the porch. In what language does the boy speak to him?
3. When Einstein first lectures on his theory in the US, he comments that, "It is all very simple." How does the audience respond?
4. In 1905, why don't other scientists know whether or not Einstein is correct?
5. The reader learns that Einstein helps a girl understand a math question. How is she going to repay him for his help?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)