|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Einstein feel about Mileva's ambitions?
(a) He thinks she is beautiful and charming.
(b) He thinks she is dumb and dislikes talking to her.
(c) He thinks she is brilliant and enjoys her company.
(d) He thinks she should focus more on housework.
2. Einstein's responses to the people he meets during the course of chapter one suggest what about his character?
(a) No one knows who he is.
(b) He knows he is smarter than everyone else, and goes out of his way to show it.
(c) He is known and respected by everyone, and doesn't think he's better than others.
(d) He thinks the other citizens are dumb and makes fun of them.
3. What does Einstein say he thinks is the result of seeing the charm on his father's watch?
(a) Makes him hate his father.
(b) Creates his curiosity.
(c) First arouses his interest in science.
(d) Drives him to study geology.
4. After the war, two teams are sent to record the total eclipse. Why are there two teams?
(a) International tension might make it difficult for teams to get to the location.
(b) One team is not very good.
(c) In case the weather is bad in one location.
(d) To verify that the results are not fake.
5. Why is Albert glad that his uncle doesn't ask about his friends at school?
(a) He is too busy with his friends to focus on schoolwork.
(b) He hates the other kids.
(c) He doesn't think he needs friends.
(d) The other boys think he's stupid.
6. How does Einstein refer to the way he feels about lecturing at the university?
(a) "My calling in life."
(b) "The best work I've ever done."
(c) "Performances on the trapeze."
(d) "A silly, pointless exercise."
7. Albert tells his uncle that being in school is like what?
(a) Going to the doctor.
(b) Going to prison.
(c) Being a soldier.
(d) Sleep walking.
8. At the time this story takes place, Einstein is living in what country?
(a) United States.
9. Chapter Five opens with Einstein presenting his paper on what?
(a) Theory of Space Travel.
(b) Theory of Relativity.
(c) Theory of Celestial Bodies.
(d) Theory of Gravity.
10. Einstein mentions that his father shows him a charm on a watch chain when he is about five. What is the charm?
(a) A planet.
(b) A fish.
(c) A compass.
(d) A dog.
11. The Swiss schools are not anxious to hire Einstein for all BUT WHICH of the following reasons?
(a) He is a foreigner.
(b) He is a beginner.
(c) He is not qualified.
(d) He is a Jew.
12. Einstein tells Miss Dukas he let the boy from the porch in for what purpose?
(a) The weather is getting worse.
(b) The boy brings Einstein's mail.
(c) To discuss an interesting theory.
(d) So that the boy can warm up and answer Einstein's questions.
13. Einstein moves his family into a small apartment to save money, and the children wake up covered in bites. What is biting them?
14. Mrs. Einstein thinks her young son's problems are perhaps due to what?
(a) He is slow in learning to speak.
(b) He doesn't understand English.
(c) He is a bad kid.
(d) He is a sickly child.
15. Mileva decides to add to the household income by supplementing her husband's university job with income from what?
(a) Giving piano lessons.
(b) Tutoring students.
(c) Taking in boarders.
(d) Working in a factory.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mrs. Einstein thinks her son should have what when he turns six?
2. What solution does Uncle Jake propose for Albert's difficulties in school?
3. Why is the hometown of the boy waiting on the porch significant to Einstein?
4. At the opening of the book, what is the name of the street on which Einstein is walking?
5. A boy in the coffee shop makes fun of Einstein as an absent-minded professor. How does the shop owner respond?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)