|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hermann Einstein know more about science than the average businessman?
(a) He has a PhD in chemistry.
(b) His factory produces electrical and chemical supplies.
(c) He has read a great deal about science.
(d) His son teaches him.
2. Which of the following does Einstein NOT enjoy in Chapter Seven?
(a) Musical concerts.
(d) Formal parties.
3. Whom does Hermann suggest his son ask about the compass?
(a) His mother.
(b) Cousin Elma.
(c) Uncle Jake.
(d) His teacher.
4. What nickname do the boys at school give Albert?
(a) Nosey Bertie.
(b) Evil Einstein.
(c) Honest John.
(d) Dumb Albie.
5. What does Einstein's famous formula mean?
(a) Energy equals mass times the speed of light squared.
(b) Energy equals motion times the speed of light.
(c) Energy equals motion times the speed of sound squared.
(d) Energy equals mass times the speed of sound cubed.
6. Why is Albert glad that his uncle doesn't ask about his friends at school?
(a) The other boys think he's stupid.
(b) He hates the other kids.
(c) He is too busy with his friends to focus on schoolwork.
(d) He doesn't think he needs friends.
7. How many students attend Einstein's first few lectures at the university in Chapter Six?
8. The author says that Albert and Maja resemble each other strongly except for one feature. What is different about the children?
(a) Maja's eyes twinkle with laughter, while Albert's are clouded with dreams.
(b) Maja is polite, while Albert is rude.
(c) Maja is blonde, while Albert has dark hair.
(d) Maja is short, while Albert is very tall.
9. What does Einstein's theory tell us about time and space?
(a) Neither of them matter.
(b) Neither go on forever in the same fixed way.
(c) Neither of them change.
(d) Neither of them are measurable.
10. Shortly after the Einstein family relocates to Prague, Einstein is offered a full professorship where?
(a) The Science Institute in Berlin.
(b) Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich.
(c) His old Gymnasium in Munich.
(d) MIT in the USA.
11. Mileva decides to add to the household income by supplementing her husband's university job with income from what?
(a) Working in a factory.
(b) Tutoring students.
(c) Taking in boarders.
(d) Giving piano lessons.
12. Albert's nursery governess says what about her experience taking the children to the park?
(a) Albert always refuses to play with other children.
(b) It usually starts raining by the time they get there.
(c) Maja starts fights with other children.
(d) She spends all her time knitting.
13. How does Einstein feel about Mileva's ambitions?
(a) He thinks she is brilliant and enjoys her company.
(b) He thinks she is beautiful and charming.
(c) He thinks she should focus more on housework.
(d) He thinks she is dumb and dislikes talking to her.
14. The Swiss schools are not anxious to hire Einstein for all BUT WHICH of the following reasons?
(a) He is a Jew.
(b) He is a foreigner.
(c) He is a beginner.
(d) He is not qualified.
15. On his walk at the opening of Chapter One, who does Einstein NOT greet?
(a) Another professor.
(b) The postman.
(c) A young girl.
(d) His boss.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the last few pages of Chapter One, how long does Einstein say it takes for him to gain a world reputation?
2. Who becomes Einstein's second wife?
3. In Chapter Four, Mileva is disgusted with the Kaiser because he says women should be concerned only with what?
4. Why is Hermann Einstein pleased when his son displays interest in the pocket watch?
5. Einstein meets Mileva Maritsch at his new school. On what do they spend most of their time?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)