|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In relation to Michelson and Morley's work, Einstein's theory claims what?
(a) There is nothing in motion in the universe.
(b) There is nothing absolutely at rest in the universe.
(c) The universe travels at the speed of sound.
(d) Michelson and Morley do their experiment incorrectly.
2. What kind of school does Einstein find in Aarau in Chapter Four?
(a) The same kind of school he attends in Munich.
(b) A difficult school where he quickly grows bored.
(c) One where teachers really try to help their students learn.
(d) A lazy place where teachers don't expect much of students.
3. When asked if the new Mrs. Einstein understands the theory of relativity, how does Einstein respond?
(a) She completely understands it.
(b) She helps him come up with it.
(c) It totally confuses her.
(d) He never tries to explain it to her.
4. What reason does Hermann give for moving his family to Munich?
(a) He needs a job.
(b) He wants his son to get a good education.
(c) His parents are close by.
(d) His wife is happier there.
5. What does Einstein say is the most important part of the Royal Society's research, after he receives their findings on his theory?
(a) That someone can take such wondeful pictures.
(b) That other scientists take him seriously.
(c) That he can retire.
(d) That he is finally recognized for his work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Einstein's attitude toward politics during Chapter Seven?
2. The author states that several French physicists give Einstein a cold reception in Chapter Eight. What reason does the author give for this?
3. How does Einstein finally decide to deal with the autograph requests in Chapter Eight?
4. The two American scientists, Michelson and Morley, are trying to measure the speed of what?
5. What is the most important part of school for Einstein's multi-cultural friends at his new school?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)