|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is cabotage?
2. What happened to Arikov's claim?
3. Alaska became what state of the union?
4. What brought people into the region in 1968?
5. Where did Tom spend Christmas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect did the gold rush have on Alaska?
2. How were native Alaskans treated by the United States government?
3. What were some of the dangers the characters in Chapter 8 faced?
4. Describe the journey to the mines.
5. Why did the natives feel betrayed?
6. How did Tom benefit from the miners in Chapter 9?
7. What did World War II do to Alaska's infrastructure?
8. What effect did cabotage have on businesses and individuals?
9. Why did Ah Ting disappear?
10. How did Matt Murphy make his living when he arrived in Nome?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about the impact of trading between the settlers and the native. What goods were traded, and were the trades fair? What were some of the benefits of trading? What were some of the drawbacks?
Essay Topic 2
How did religion play a role in Cidaq's life? Talk about how it was part of her relationship with Rudenko as well as Voronov. Address how she felt about it personally.
Essay Topic 3
Alaska is a land rich in natural resource. Define three major resources found in Alaska, and explain how each find impacted the people of Alaska.
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)