|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Judge Grant like?
2. How did LeRoy Flatch contribute to the war effort?
3. What brought 295 Minnesotans to Matanuska in 1935?
4. Why did Jeb decide to stay in Alaska?
5. What did they name the new business?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the problem with the law in Chapter 12?
2. What effect did the gold rush have on Alaska?
3. In Chapter 9, what problem did people have with their claims?
4. What dilemma did Tom face regarding workers?
5. How was discrimination shown to the natives?
6. How did Tom, Missy, and Tammy feel about the statehood of Alaska?
7. Why did Ah Ting disappear?
8. What types of jobs did people have in Chapter 8 thanks to the gold rush?
9. What did the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act do?
10. How did the cannery affect the salmon population?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why the issue of statehood was so important. Detail why some people were for it and why some were against it. What changes occurred when Alaska reached statehood?
Essay Topic 2
Alaska became a land ripe for business opportunity. Describe three different occupations brought about by discoveries. Explain how the businesses thrived in Alaska, whereas they might have collapsed elsewhere.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why Alaska is important to science by highlighting two specific examples of Alaskan elements which are globally significant.
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)