|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to their business?
2. What brought 295 Minnesotans to Matanuska in 1935?
3. Why did the warships withdraw?
4. What did Tom and his mother do in Dawson City?
5. What did the lobbyist favor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect did the Great Depression have on Alaska?
2. Why did Ah Ting disappear?
3. What was Tom's romantic situation like in the latter part of Chapter 10?
4. How did the canning industry emerge in Alaska according to Chapter 10?
5. Describe what cabotage is.
6. Describe the journey to the mines.
7. What types of jobs did people have in Chapter 8 thanks to the gold rush?
8. What did World War II do to Alaska's infrastructure?
9. How did Tom benefit from the miners in Chapter 9?
10. What was the problem with the law in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Transportation played a big role in the history of this book. Choose three different modes of transportation that were highlighted in the book and explain how each one contributes to the story.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why the issue of statehood was so important. Detail why some people were for it and why some were against it. What changes occurred when Alaska reached statehood?
Essay Topic 3
Write about the impact of trading between the settlers and the native. What goods were traded, and were the trades fair? What were some of the benefits of trading? What were some of the drawbacks?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)