|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Jeb decide to stay in Alaska?
2. Why did Oliver Rowntree go on Ross and Raglan ships?
3. What position did the Tinglits hold business-wise?
4. What did the arriving Indians do to the totem pole?
5. What did Kendra Scott do in Desolation Point?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the problem with the law in Chapter 12?
2. How did the canning industry emerge in Alaska according to Chapter 10?
3. Describe what cabotage is.
4. Why did Ah Ting disappear?
5. How did airplanes in Alaska contribute to the war effort?
6. What was Tom's romantic situation like in the latter part of Chapter 10?
7. What dilemma did Tom face regarding workers?
8. How did Tom, Missy, and Tammy feel about the statehood of Alaska?
9. How was discrimination shown to the natives?
10. How were native Alaskans treated by the United States government?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did religion play a role in Cidaq's life? Talk about how it was part of her relationship with Rudenko as well as Voronov. Address how she felt about it personally.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how each of the following people groups came to live in Alaska: Indians, Eskimos, and Aleuts. Explain which part of Alaska they settled in and address why they stayed there.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout Alaska's history, other countries found it worthy of investigation. Explain why other countries invested time, people, and money in exploring Alaska.
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)