|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What brought more people to Alaska in 1973?
2. What was shocking to Kendra?
3. When did the United States government begin to pay attention to the rights of native Alaskans?
4. What happened Ben, the father?
5. Where did Ah Ting go?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the political system like in Chapter 9?
2. How did Tom, Missy, and Tammy feel about the statehood of Alaska?
3. How did the Flatch family contribute to the war effort?
4. How did the discovery of oil change the area in Chapter 12?
5. Why did the natives feel betrayed?
6. What effect did the gold rush have on Alaska?
7. How were native Alaskans treated by the United States government?
8. Describe what cabotage is.
9. How did Matt Murphy make his living when he arrived in Nome?
10. What was the problem with the law in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Alaska is important to science by highlighting two specific examples of Alaskan elements which are globally significant.
Essay Topic 2
Write about weather and its effect on Alaska. Discuss how if affected the formation of Alaska and the people in Alaska, both native and newcomers.
Essay Topic 3
Alaska became a land ripe for business opportunity. Describe three different occupations brought about by discoveries. Explain how the businesses thrived in Alaska, whereas they might have collapsed elsewhere.
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)