|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened when Sam went to fish in the river?
2. Where did Tom move after Christmas?
3. How did the new equipment work in the factory?
4. Alaska became what state of the union?
5. What brought 295 Minnesotans to Matanuska in 1935?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did World War II do to Alaska's infrastructure?
2. Why did the natives feel betrayed?
3. How did Tom benefit from the miners in Chapter 9?
4. How were native Alaskans treated by the United States government?
5. What types of jobs did people have in Chapter 8 thanks to the gold rush?
6. What was the problem with the law in Chapter 12?
7. How did Matt Murphy make his living when he arrived in Nome?
8. What were some of the dangers the characters in Chapter 8 faced?
9. How did LeRoy's investment benefit him?
10. How did the discovery of oil change the area in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the evolution of the political system in Alaska.
Essay Topic 2
Asia played an important role in this book. Describe its role in the beginning of the book, and explain how the Japan is related to Alaska by the end of the book. Be certain to address Japan's relationship to Alaska during World War II.
Essay Topic 3
Write about how the businesses based on the natural resources affected the native people groups.
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)