|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Carmack's field located?
2. Why were more airstrips appearing in Alaska?
3. What happened to their business?
4. What did Jeb and Poley Markham find in the water that Jeb wanted to keep?
5. When did the United States government begin to pay attention to the rights of native Alaskans?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the dangers the characters in Chapter 8 faced?
2. In Chapter 9, what problem did people have with their claims?
3. What effect did the gold rush have on Alaska?
4. How were native Alaskans treated by the United States government?
5. Why did the natives feel betrayed?
6. What effect did the Great Depression have on Alaska?
7. Describe what cabotage is.
8. Why did Ah Ting disappear?
9. Describe the journey to the mines.
10. How was discrimination shown to the natives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how each of the following people groups came to live in Alaska: Indians, Eskimos, and Aleuts. Explain which part of Alaska they settled in and address why they stayed there.
Essay Topic 2
Define what it meant to be a native Alaskan. What benefits do the natives have throughout the book? What are some of the negatives the natives had to deal with? Define two instances that demonstrate whether or not they were treated fairly.
Essay Topic 3
How did religion play a role in Cidaq's life? Talk about how it was part of her relationship with Rudenko as well as Voronov. Address how she felt about it personally.
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)