|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Venns helped rescue survivors of _________.
2. What position did the Tinglits hold business-wise?
3. Whose war ships were spotted near the Aleutians in June of 1942?
4. Where did Nancy take Tom?
5. Who came to check out the cannery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Tom's romantic situation like in the latter part of Chapter 10?
2. What were some of the dangers the characters in Chapter 8 faced?
3. How did Matt Murphy make his living when he arrived in Nome?
4. What effect did the Great Depression have on Alaska?
5. What effect did cabotage have on businesses and individuals?
6. How did Tom benefit from the miners in Chapter 9?
7. How did the canning industry emerge in Alaska according to Chapter 10?
8. What was the effect of automation on the workers?
9. What dilemma did Tom face regarding workers?
10. What was the problem with the law in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bigears and Tom Venn had an interesting relationship. Write about their relationship and address their connections both professionally and personally.
Essay Topic 2
How did religion play a role in Cidaq's life? Talk about how it was part of her relationship with Rudenko as well as Voronov. Address how she felt about it personally.
Essay Topic 3
Asia played an important role in this book. Describe its role in the beginning of the book, and explain how the Japan is related to Alaska by the end of the book. Be certain to address Japan's relationship to Alaska during World War II.
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)