|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Kendra Scott do in Desolation Point?
2. What did the arriving Indians do to the totem pole?
3. Where did Tom move after Christmas?
4. By 1919, what happened to Ross and Raglan?
5. How did LeRoy Flatch contribute to the war effort?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Tom benefit from the miners in Chapter 9?
2. How did the cannery affect the salmon population?
3. What effect did the Great Depression have on Alaska?
4. What was Tom's romantic situation like in the latter part of Chapter 10?
5. How did LeRoy's investment benefit him?
6. How did the Flatch family contribute to the war effort?
7. What effect did the gold rush have on Alaska?
8. How was discrimination shown to the natives?
9. What effect did cabotage have on businesses and individuals?
10. What dilemma did Tom face regarding workers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alaska became a land ripe for business opportunity. Describe three different occupations brought about by discoveries. Explain how the businesses thrived in Alaska, whereas they might have collapsed elsewhere.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout Alaska's history, other countries found it worthy of investigation. Explain why other countries invested time, people, and money in exploring Alaska.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how each of the following people groups came to live in Alaska: Indians, Eskimos, and Aleuts. Explain which part of Alaska they settled in and address why they stayed there.
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)