|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the United States government begin to pay attention to the rights of native Alaskans?
2. Why did Lieutenant Maxim Voronov fly around?
3. What was used as food for the population?
4. What did the men find in Nome?
5. Whom did Nancy marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was discrimination shown to the natives?
2. How did the discovery of oil change the area in Chapter 12?
3. Why did the natives feel betrayed?
4. How did Tom benefit from the miners in Chapter 9?
5. How did the canning industry emerge in Alaska according to Chapter 10?
6. What was the political system like in Chapter 9?
7. Describe the journey to the mines.
8. How did Tom, Missy, and Tammy feel about the statehood of Alaska?
9. What effect did the Great Depression have on Alaska?
10. What was the problem with the law in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why the issue of statehood was so important. Detail why some people were for it and why some were against it. What changes occurred when Alaska reached statehood?
Essay Topic 2
Describe in detail the relationship between the Tlingits and the settlers. Cite examples of when they got along and when they didn't. Address the overall feeling between the two people groups.
Essay Topic 3
Transportation played a big role in the history of this book. Choose three different modes of transportation that were highlighted in the book and explain how each one contributes to the story.
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)