|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the investigation team studying?
2. What did Shaffer say they had to build?
3. Why did the warships withdraw?
4. What did LeRoy do after the war?
5. What did Jeb and Poley Markham find in the water that Jeb wanted to keep?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Tom's romantic situation like in the latter part of Chapter 10?
2. Why did Ah Ting disappear?
3. How did the cannery affect the salmon population?
4. Why did the natives feel betrayed?
5. How were native Alaskans treated by the United States government?
6. What did World War II do to Alaska's infrastructure?
7. What effect did cabotage have on businesses and individuals?
8. How did the discovery of oil change the area in Chapter 12?
9. How did the Flatch family contribute to the war effort?
10. What did the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define what it meant to be a native Alaskan. What benefits do the natives have throughout the book? What are some of the negatives the natives had to deal with? Define two instances that demonstrate whether or not they were treated fairly.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout Alaska's history, other countries found it worthy of investigation. Explain why other countries invested time, people, and money in exploring Alaska.
Essay Topic 3
Asia played an important role in this book. Describe its role in the beginning of the book, and explain how the Japan is related to Alaska by the end of the book. Be certain to address Japan's relationship to Alaska during World War II.
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)