|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Jeb Keeler go to Baflin Island?
2. When did the United States government begin to pay attention to the rights of native Alaskans?
3. Whose war ships were spotted near the Aleutians in June of 1942?
4. What happened to Ah Ting?
5. Where did Tom move after Christmas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Tom's romantic situation like in the latter part of Chapter 10?
2. Why did Ah Ting disappear?
3. Describe the journey to the mines.
4. Describe what cabotage is.
5. What did World War II do to Alaska's infrastructure?
6. What did the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act do?
7. How did Tom, Missy, and Tammy feel about the statehood of Alaska?
8. What effect did the Great Depression have on Alaska?
9. What effect did the gold rush have on Alaska?
10. What were some of the dangers the characters in Chapter 8 faced?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alaska is a land rich in natural resource. Define three major resources found in Alaska, and explain how each find impacted the people of Alaska.
Essay Topic 2
Write about weather and its effect on Alaska. Discuss how if affected the formation of Alaska and the people in Alaska, both native and newcomers.
Essay Topic 3
Write about the impact of trading between the settlers and the native. What goods were traded, and were the trades fair? What were some of the benefits of trading? What were some of the drawbacks?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)