|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Nate Coop contribute to the war effort?
2. What brought 295 Minnesotans to Matanuska in 1935?
3. Where did Ah Ting go?
4. Where did Tom and his mother live at Lake Bennett?
5. Why was Malcolm Venn on board?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Tom's romantic situation like in the latter part of Chapter 10?
2. Why did Ah Ting disappear?
3. How did airplanes in Alaska contribute to the war effort?
4. What was the effect of automation on the workers?
5. In Chapter 9, what problem did people have with their claims?
6. How did LeRoy's investment benefit him?
7. Describe what cabotage is.
8. How did Tom benefit from the miners in Chapter 9?
9. What effect did the gold rush have on Alaska?
10. What did World War II do to Alaska's infrastructure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define what it meant to be a native Alaskan. What benefits do the natives have throughout the book? What are some of the negatives the natives had to deal with? Define two instances that demonstrate whether or not they were treated fairly.
Essay Topic 2
Alaska is a land rich in natural resource. Define three major resources found in Alaska, and explain how each find impacted the people of Alaska.
Essay Topic 3
Greed is a major theme in this book. Pick three instances in this book where greed affected a large group of people. Explain the repercussions of the acts of greed.
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)