|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Nancy take Tom?
2. What did Tom and his mother do in Dawson City?
3. Where did Ah Ting go?
4. Why did Oliver Rowntree go on Ross and Raglan ships?
5. What did George Washington Carmack find in the Yukon in 1896?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did airplanes in Alaska contribute to the war effort?
2. What effect did the gold rush have on Alaska?
3. How did the cannery affect the salmon population?
4. What types of jobs did people have in Chapter 8 thanks to the gold rush?
5. In Chapter 9, what problem did people have with their claims?
6. How did Tom benefit from the miners in Chapter 9?
7. What dilemma did Tom face regarding workers?
8. How did the discovery of oil change the area in Chapter 12?
9. Why did the natives feel betrayed?
10. How was discrimination shown to the natives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define what it meant to be a native Alaskan. What benefits do the natives have throughout the book? What are some of the negatives the natives had to deal with? Define two instances that demonstrate whether or not they were treated fairly.
Essay Topic 2
Alaska is a land rich in natural resource. Define three major resources found in Alaska, and explain how each find impacted the people of Alaska.
Essay Topic 3
Describe in great detail how the Gold Rush in Alaska affected the world. What were some of the good things it brought about? What were some of the negative things it brought about?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)