|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Oliver Rowntree go on Ross and Raglan ships?
2. What frequently happened in the hospital tent?
3. How did LeRoy Flatch contribute to the war effort?
4. What did Kendra think of Jeb?
5. What did the Venn's use for transportation to Venn's Lode?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Tom, Missy, and Tammy feel about the statehood of Alaska?
2. What dilemma did Tom face regarding workers?
3. How were native Alaskans treated by the United States government?
4. What effect did the Great Depression have on Alaska?
5. How did the discovery of oil change the area in Chapter 12?
6. What was Tom's romantic situation like in the latter part of Chapter 10?
7. Describe what cabotage is.
8. How was discrimination shown to the natives?
9. How did the cannery affect the salmon population?
10. What types of jobs did people have in Chapter 8 thanks to the gold rush?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why the issue of statehood was so important. Detail why some people were for it and why some were against it. What changes occurred when Alaska reached statehood?
Essay Topic 2
Write about weather and its effect on Alaska. Discuss how if affected the formation of Alaska and the people in Alaska, both native and newcomers.
Essay Topic 3
How did religion play a role in Cidaq's life? Talk about how it was part of her relationship with Rudenko as well as Voronov. Address how she felt about it personally.
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)