|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Lieutenant Maxim Voronov fly around?
2. Why were more airstrips appearing in Alaska?
3. Alaska became what state of the union?
4. What happened to Ah Ting?
5. What was used as food for the population?
Short Essay Questions
1. What dilemma did Tom face regarding workers?
2. How was discrimination shown to the natives?
3. Why did Ah Ting disappear?
4. What was the effect of automation on the workers?
5. What were some of the dangers the characters in Chapter 8 faced?
6. Why did the natives feel betrayed?
7. How did LeRoy's investment benefit him?
8. How did Tom benefit from the miners in Chapter 9?
9. What types of jobs did people have in Chapter 8 thanks to the gold rush?
10. How did the discovery of oil change the area in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define what it meant to be a native Alaskan. What benefits do the natives have throughout the book? What are some of the negatives the natives had to deal with? Define two instances that demonstrate whether or not they were treated fairly.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how each of the following people groups came to live in Alaska: Indians, Eskimos, and Aleuts. Explain which part of Alaska they settled in and address why they stayed there.
Essay Topic 3
Write about weather and its effect on Alaska. Discuss how if affected the formation of Alaska and the people in Alaska, both native and newcomers.
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)