|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Matt Murphy bring to Fort Yukon?
2. By 1919, what happened to Ross and Raglan?
3. What troops did Nate witness landing?
4. What did George Washington Carmack find in the Yukon in 1896?
5. What did others think of the Venns?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the problem with the law in Chapter 12?
2. What was the political system like in Chapter 9?
3. What effect did the gold rush have on Alaska?
4. What effect did cabotage have on businesses and individuals?
5. How did airplanes in Alaska contribute to the war effort?
6. What did the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act do?
7. How did the cannery affect the salmon population?
8. How did Tom, Missy, and Tammy feel about the statehood of Alaska?
9. Describe the journey to the mines.
10. Why did the natives feel betrayed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Asia played an important role in this book. Describe its role in the beginning of the book, and explain how the Japan is related to Alaska by the end of the book. Be certain to address Japan's relationship to Alaska during World War II.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the evolution of the political system in Alaska.
Essay Topic 3
Transportation played a big role in the history of this book. Choose three different modes of transportation that were highlighted in the book and explain how each one contributes to the story.
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)