|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What troops did Nate witness landing?
2. What happened Ben, the father?
3. What was a result of the Jones Act of 1920?
4. Where did Missy work?
5. Why did Jeb Keeler go to Baflin Island?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the cannery affect the salmon population?
2. What did World War II do to Alaska's infrastructure?
3. In Chapter 9, what problem did people have with their claims?
4. How were native Alaskans treated by the United States government?
5. Describe the journey to the mines.
6. How was discrimination shown to the natives?
7. What was Tom's romantic situation like in the latter part of Chapter 10?
8. What was the political system like in Chapter 9?
9. What was the effect of automation on the workers?
10. Why did the natives feel betrayed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about weather and its effect on Alaska. Discuss how if affected the formation of Alaska and the people in Alaska, both native and newcomers.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why the issue of statehood was so important. Detail why some people were for it and why some were against it. What changes occurred when Alaska reached statehood?
Essay Topic 3
Define what it meant to be a native Alaskan. What benefits do the natives have throughout the book? What are some of the negatives the natives had to deal with? Define two instances that demonstrate whether or not they were treated fairly.
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)