|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Elmer Flatch contribute to the war effort?
2. Where did Nancy take Tom?
3. Who came to check out the cannery?
4. The Venns helped rescue survivors of _________.
5. What did others think of the Venns?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Tom benefit from the miners in Chapter 9?
2. What effect did cabotage have on businesses and individuals?
3. In Chapter 9, what problem did people have with their claims?
4. How did the Flatch family contribute to the war effort?
5. What did the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act do?
6. What types of jobs did people have in Chapter 8 thanks to the gold rush?
7. Why did the natives feel betrayed?
8. Describe what cabotage is.
9. What effect did the gold rush have on Alaska?
10. How did airplanes in Alaska contribute to the war effort?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Greed is a major theme in this book. Pick three instances in this book where greed affected a large group of people. Explain the repercussions of the acts of greed.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Alaska is important to science by highlighting two specific examples of Alaskan elements which are globally significant.
Essay Topic 3
How did religion play a role in Cidaq's life? Talk about how it was part of her relationship with Rudenko as well as Voronov. Address how she felt about it personally.
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)