|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who came to Alaska as a result of the Alaskan Code?
2. Why did the warships withdraw?
3. What troops did Nate witness landing?
4. What transportation did Sanquq use?
5. What did others think of the Venns?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was discrimination shown to the natives?
2. How did the cannery affect the salmon population?
3. How did the canning industry emerge in Alaska according to Chapter 10?
4. What effect did cabotage have on businesses and individuals?
5. How did LeRoy's investment benefit him?
6. How did the Flatch family contribute to the war effort?
7. What were some of the dangers the characters in Chapter 8 faced?
8. What dilemma did Tom face regarding workers?
9. What did the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act do?
10. How did airplanes in Alaska contribute to the war effort?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why the issue of statehood was so important. Detail why some people were for it and why some were against it. What changes occurred when Alaska reached statehood?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how each of the following people groups came to live in Alaska: Indians, Eskimos, and Aleuts. Explain which part of Alaska they settled in and address why they stayed there.
Essay Topic 3
The author decided the start the book with the original formation of Alaska. Describe the Alaska's origins, and explain the changes that occurred to it geographically in its first billion years.
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)