|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Captain Healy stopped his ship along the Alaskan coast, what did he find in the villages?
2. How many Ice Ages were there?
3. When the barriers were removed, animals emigrated between _________.
4. Why did Cidaq become a Christian?
5. Where did the Americans in the settlement go for help?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the different ice ages mentioned in Chapter 2.
2. Who lived in Varnak's household? What were their roles?
3. How did the ice age affect the land that was to become Alaska?
4. How did the rum trading affect the Tlingits?
5. How did illness change the course of history for Trofin?
6. How did the Indians react to the invasion of Russians?
7. How is the mastodon related to the elephant?
8. What was so important about the shifting of the geological plates?
9. How did Chapter 4 highlight some of the cruelty involved in the fur trade business?
10. How were the natives perceived by the Russians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Russia's relationship with Alaska. Discuss colonization as well as Russia's interest in Alaska as the book ended.
Essay Topic 2
Write about the impact of trading between the settlers and the native. What goods were traded, and were the trades fair? What were some of the benefits of trading? What were some of the drawbacks?
Essay Topic 3
The author decided the start the book with the original formation of Alaska. Describe the Alaska's origins, and explain the changes that occurred to it geographically in its first billion years.
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)