|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who commissioned Vitus Bering as captain?
2. Baranov's house was used as a __________.
3. Who was the company's representative to the Aleutian Islands?
4. What were Jackson and Healy trying to prevent?
5. What eventually happened to the land bridge?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Tlingits want in Chapter 7?
2. What was Baranov's character like in Chapter 6?
3. What was so important about the protuberance in the northwest corner of what was to become North America that the author mentioned in Chapter 1?
4. How did Trofin Zhdanko escape his imprisonment?
5. What did the Organic Act mean for those living in Alaska?
6. How did the ice age affect the land that was to become Alaska?
7. How did Sitka Island become colonized?
8. How did food factor into Oogruk's story in Chapter 3?
9. How did illness change the course of history for Trofin?
10. How did Chapter 4 highlight some of the cruelty involved in the fur trade business?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Russia's relationship with Alaska. Discuss colonization as well as Russia's interest in Alaska as the book ended.
Essay Topic 2
Alaska became a land ripe for business opportunity. Describe three different occupations brought about by discoveries. Explain how the businesses thrived in Alaska, whereas they might have collapsed elsewhere.
Essay Topic 3
Greed is a major theme in this book. Pick three instances in this book where greed affected a large group of people. Explain the repercussions of the acts of greed.
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)