|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lieutenant Ermelov think of Baranov?
2. What type of business did Zhdanko work in?
3. Where did the family go?
4. What animal did they hunt for food and other purposes when they reached their destination?
5. Whom did Zhdanko kill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Old One's character like in Chapter 5?
2. What was so important about the protuberance in the northwest corner of what was to become North America that the author mentioned in Chapter 1?
3. How did Sitka Island become colonized?
4. How did Trofin Zhdanko escape his imprisonment?
5. What was Baranov's character like in Chapter 6?
6. How did food factor into Oogruk's story in Chapter 3?
7. Who lived in Varnak's household? What were their roles?
8. According to Chapter 1, how did Alaska become separated from Asia? How was the landscape of Alaska changed?
9. How did Voronov change in Chapter 5?
10. How did illness change the course of history for Trofin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did religion play a role in Cidaq's life? Talk about how it was part of her relationship with Rudenko as well as Voronov. Address how she felt about it personally.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout Alaska's history, other countries found it worthy of investigation. Explain why other countries invested time, people, and money in exploring Alaska.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Russia's relationship with Alaska. Discuss colonization as well as Russia's interest in Alaska as the book ended.
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)