|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What eventually happened to the land bridge?
2. What did Baranov think about supplying rum and guns to the natives?
3. What were Jackson and Healy trying to prevent?
4. Trofkins team came from all the countries listed except for __________.
5. How did the Tlingits respond when they saw the help arrive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Organic Act mean for those living in Alaska?
2. How did the rum trading affect the Tlingits?
3. How did food factor into Oogruk's story in Chapter 3?
4. What was the significance of the fur pelts in Chapter 4?
5. Describe the different ice ages mentioned in Chapter 2.
6. How was Cidaq treated in Chapter 5?
7. What role did food play in Varnak's story in Chapter 3?
8. What was Baranov's character like in Chapter 6?
9. What was so important about the shifting of the geological plates?
10. Who lived in Varnak's household? What were their roles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about the impact of trading between the settlers and the native. What goods were traded, and were the trades fair? What were some of the benefits of trading? What were some of the drawbacks?
Essay Topic 2
The author decided the start the book with the original formation of Alaska. Describe the Alaska's origins, and explain the changes that occurred to it geographically in its first billion years.
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail the relationship between the Tlingits and the settlers. Cite examples of when they got along and when they didn't. Address the overall feeling between the two people groups.
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)