|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Ice Ages were there?
2. Why did Tsar Peter Romanov want Trofin Zhdanko?
3. Why did Varnak's family move?
4. How long did it take the family to reach their destination?
5. How long did it take to get to Okhotsk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Tlingits want in Chapter 7?
2. What was Old One's character like in Chapter 5?
3. How did the rum trading affect the Tlingits?
4. According to Chapter 1, how did Alaska become separated from Asia? How was the landscape of Alaska changed?
5. What was Cidaq's motivation in Chapter 5, and how did she use it?
6. What was the significance of the fur pelts in Chapter 4?
7. How did food factor into Oogruk's story in Chapter 3?
8. How did Sitka Island become colonized?
9. Describe the different ice ages mentioned in Chapter 2.
10. How did Chapter 4 highlight some of the cruelty involved in the fur trade business?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alaska is a land rich in natural resource. Define three major resources found in Alaska, and explain how each find impacted the people of Alaska.
Essay Topic 2
Transportation played a big role in the history of this book. Choose three different modes of transportation that were highlighted in the book and explain how each one contributes to the story.
Essay Topic 3
Write about weather and its effect on Alaska. Discuss how if affected the formation of Alaska and the people in Alaska, both native and newcomers.
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)