|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Eskimos hunt?
2. What job did Mrs. Caldwell have?
3. What killed Rudenko?
4. What was happening to the fur trade?
5. Varnak's descendants who traveled south to Arizona and became Navajo Indians were known as _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did things change when America took control of Alaska?
2. What was the significance of the fur pelts in Chapter 4?
3. What was so important about the protuberance in the northwest corner of what was to become North America that the author mentioned in Chapter 1?
4. How did the rum trading affect the Tlingits?
5. What was Cidaq's motivation in Chapter 5, and how did she use it?
6. How was Cidaq treated in Chapter 5?
7. How did illness change the course of history for Trofin?
8. How did Voronov change in Chapter 5?
9. How did Trofin Zhdanko escape his imprisonment?
10. How did the Indians react to the invasion of Russians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Alaska is important to science by highlighting two specific examples of Alaskan elements which are globally significant.
Essay Topic 2
Greed is a major theme in this book. Pick three instances in this book where greed affected a large group of people. Explain the repercussions of the acts of greed.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout Alaska's history, other countries found it worthy of investigation. Explain why other countries invested time, people, and money in exploring Alaska.
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)