|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the mastadon settle?
2. Russian prisoners on the ship were taken to _________.
3. Where did Varnak originate?
4. Varnak's people became known as _________.
5. What was Big Ears' new name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did things change when America took control of Alaska?
2. How did the Indians react to the invasion of Russians?
3. How did Sitka Island become colonized?
4. How did Trofin Zhdanko escape his imprisonment?
5. What was Baranov's character like in Chapter 6?
6. How did food factor into Oogruk's story in Chapter 3?
7. How did Chapter 4 highlight some of the cruelty involved in the fur trade business?
8. Where did the animals come from and go to in Chapter 2?
9. How did illness change the course of history for Trofin?
10. How did the ice age affect the land that was to become Alaska?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail the relationship between the Tlingits and the settlers. Cite examples of when they got along and when they didn't. Address the overall feeling between the two people groups.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why the issue of statehood was so important. Detail why some people were for it and why some were against it. What changes occurred when Alaska reached statehood?
Essay Topic 3
How did religion play a role in Cidaq's life? Talk about how it was part of her relationship with Rudenko as well as Voronov. Address how she felt about it personally.
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)