|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What killed Rudenko?
2. Why did Varnak's family move?
3. What was the mastodon?
4. What did Baranov want to build for Voronov?
5. Where did the Americans in the settlement go for help?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who seemed to have the power in Alaska by the end of Chapter 12?
2. How did LeRoy's investment benefit him?
3. How did airplanes in Alaska contribute to the war effort?
4. How did the cannery affect the salmon population?
5. How was discrimination shown to the natives?
6. How did the canning industry emerge in Alaska according to Chapter 10?
7. How did Tom benefit from the miners in Chapter 9?
8. According to Chapter 1, how did Alaska become separated from Asia? How was the landscape of Alaska changed?
9. How did things change when America took control of Alaska?
10. How did Trofin Zhdanko escape his imprisonment?
Essay Topic 1
Alaska is a land rich in natural resource. Define three major resources found in Alaska, and explain how each find impacted the people of Alaska.
Essay Topic 2
Greed is a major theme in this book. Pick three instances in this book where greed affected a large group of people. Explain the repercussions of the acts of greed.
Essay Topic 3
Write about the impact of trading between the settlers and the native. What goods were traded, and were the trades fair? What were some of the benefits of trading? What were some of the drawbacks?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)