|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What made the large bodies of ice move?
2. What killed Rudenko?
3. Where did the mastadon settle?
4. How high were summer temperatures?
5. What did the Organic Act do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Oogruk come from? How did he and his family live?
2. What role did food play in Varnak's story in Chapter 3?
3. What did the Organic Act mean for those living in Alaska?
4. How did the ice age affect the land that was to become Alaska?
5. Who lived in Varnak's household? What were their roles?
6. How did things change when America took control of Alaska?
7. How did the Indians react to the invasion of Russians?
8. Where did the animals come from and go to in Chapter 2?
9. How did Sitka Island become colonized?
10. How did Chapter 4 highlight some of the cruelty involved in the fur trade business?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in great detail how the Gold Rush in Alaska affected the world. What were some of the good things it brought about? What were some of the negative things it brought about?
Essay Topic 2
Write about how the businesses based on the natural resources affected the native people groups.
Essay Topic 3
Transportation played a big role in the history of this book. Choose three different modes of transportation that were highlighted in the book and explain how each one contributes to the story.
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)