|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did Zhdanko exchange gifts with when he landed on the island?
2. When Russian boats returned two years later, they found the settlement was __________.
3. The mastadon evolved to become _________.
4. What were the mastadons' chief enemy?
5. Who took the people from the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was so important about the protuberance in the northwest corner of what was to become North America that the author mentioned in Chapter 1?
2. How did Sitka Island become colonized?
3. What was Cidaq's motivation in Chapter 5, and how did she use it?
4. How did Chapter 4 highlight some of the cruelty involved in the fur trade business?
5. How did illness change the course of history for Trofin?
6. Who lived in Varnak's household? What were their roles?
7. Describe the different ice ages mentioned in Chapter 2.
8. What role did food play in Varnak's story in Chapter 3?
9. How did Voronov change in Chapter 5?
10. What is a land bridge? How was it significant in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Asia played an important role in this book. Describe its role in the beginning of the book, and explain how the Japan is related to Alaska by the end of the book. Be certain to address Japan's relationship to Alaska during World War II.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the evolution of the political system in Alaska.
Essay Topic 3
Alaska is a land rich in natural resource. Define three major resources found in Alaska, and explain how each find impacted the people of Alaska.
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)