|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were Jackson and Healy trying to prevent?
2. Varnak's people wandered for how many years?
3. Where did the mastadon settle?
4. How did the Tlingits respond when they saw the help arrive?
5. Where did they decide to build ships?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the rum trading affect the Tlingits?
2. How was Cidaq treated in Chapter 5?
3. How were the natives perceived by the Russians?
4. How did Sitka Island become colonized?
5. What role did food play in Varnak's story in Chapter 3?
6. How did Chapter 4 highlight some of the cruelty involved in the fur trade business?
7. What was Baranov's character like in Chapter 6?
8. Who lived in Varnak's household? What were their roles?
9. How did Voronov change in Chapter 5?
10. How did things change when America took control of Alaska?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about weather and its effect on Alaska. Discuss how if affected the formation of Alaska and the people in Alaska, both native and newcomers.
Essay Topic 2
Write about how the businesses based on the natural resources affected the native people groups.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why the issue of statehood was so important. Detail why some people were for it and why some were against it. What changes occurred when Alaska reached statehood?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)