|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Varnak originate?
2. How old was Baranov when Ermelov had him investigated? and
3. What did Baranov proclaim as the capital of Russian America?
4. How did the Tlingits respond when they saw the help arrive?
5. What arrived to help the Americans?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the ice age affect the land that was to become Alaska?
2. Describe the different ice ages mentioned in Chapter 2.
3. What was Baranov's character like in Chapter 6?
4. How did things change when America took control of Alaska?
5. What is a land bridge? How was it significant in Chapter 1?
6. What did the Tlingits want in Chapter 7?
7. What was so important about the protuberance in the northwest corner of what was to become North America that the author mentioned in Chapter 1?
8. How did the Indians react to the invasion of Russians?
9. How did Chapter 4 highlight some of the cruelty involved in the fur trade business?
10. How did Sitka Island become colonized?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Greed is a major theme in this book. Pick three instances in this book where greed affected a large group of people. Explain the repercussions of the acts of greed.
Essay Topic 2
Asia played an important role in this book. Describe its role in the beginning of the book, and explain how the Japan is related to Alaska by the end of the book. Be certain to address Japan's relationship to Alaska during World War II.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why Alaska is important to science by highlighting two specific examples of Alaskan elements which are globally significant.
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)