|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Varnak's descendants who traveled south to Arizona and became Navajo Indians were known as _________.
2. What did Baranov proclaim as the capital of Russian America?
3. What strengthened the relationship between Rudenko and Baranov?
4. Where did the family go?
5. The mastadon evolved to become _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Old One's character like in Chapter 5?
2. According to Chapter 1, how did Alaska become separated from Asia? How was the landscape of Alaska changed?
3. How did things change when America took control of Alaska?
4. How did the rum trading affect the Tlingits?
5. What did the Organic Act mean for those living in Alaska?
6. How did the discovery of oil change the area in Chapter 12?
7. Where did Oogruk come from? How did he and his family live?
8. Who lived in Varnak's household? What were their roles?
9. What did World War II do to Alaska's infrastructure?
10. What role did food play in Varnak's story in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in great detail how the Gold Rush in Alaska affected the world. What were some of the good things it brought about? What were some of the negative things it brought about?
Essay Topic 2
How did religion play a role in Cidaq's life? Talk about how it was part of her relationship with Rudenko as well as Voronov. Address how she felt about it personally.
Essay Topic 3
Alaska became a land ripe for business opportunity. Describe three different occupations brought about by discoveries. Explain how the businesses thrived in Alaska, whereas they might have collapsed elsewhere.
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)