|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Varnak's people became known as _________.
2. As the book opened, the author addressed land formation from how many years ago?
3. Where did Oogruk and his family settle?
4. Whom did Zhdanko exchange gifts with when he landed on the island?
5. Where was there a protuberance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Oogruk come from? How did he and his family live?
2. What was the significance of the fur pelts in Chapter 4?
3. How did food factor into Oogruk's story in Chapter 3?
4. What did the Organic Act mean for those living in Alaska?
5. Describe the different ice ages mentioned in Chapter 2.
6. How did illness change the course of history for Trofin?
7. How did the rum trading affect the Tlingits?
8. How did Trofin Zhdanko escape his imprisonment?
9. According to Chapter 1, how did Alaska become separated from Asia? How was the landscape of Alaska changed?
10. How did things change when America took control of Alaska?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Asia played an important role in this book. Describe its role in the beginning of the book, and explain how the Japan is related to Alaska by the end of the book. Be certain to address Japan's relationship to Alaska during World War II.
Essay Topic 2
Alaska became a land ripe for business opportunity. Describe three different occupations brought about by discoveries. Explain how the businesses thrived in Alaska, whereas they might have collapsed elsewhere.
Essay Topic 3
Write about weather and its effect on Alaska. Discuss how if affected the formation of Alaska and the people in Alaska, both native and newcomers.
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)