Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did animals come to Alaska?
2. Russian prisoners on the ship were taken to _________.
3. Where did the mastadon settle?
4. What was happening to the fur trade?
5. Why did Cidaq become a Christian?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the cannery affect the salmon population?
2. How were native Alaskans treated by the United States government?
3. How did the Flatch family contribute to the war effort?
4. Where did Oogruk come from? How did he and his family live?
5. Describe what cabotage is.
6. What did World War II do to Alaska's infrastructure?
7. What did the Organic Act mean for those living in Alaska?
8. Where did the animals come from and go to in Chapter 2?
9. How did the ice age affect the land that was to become Alaska?
10. How did Tom benefit from the miners in Chapter 9?
Essay Topic 1
Explain why the issue of statehood was so important. Detail why some people were for it and why some were against it. What changes occurred when Alaska reached statehood?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout Alaska's history, other countries found it worthy of investigation. Explain why other countries invested time, people, and money in exploring Alaska.
Essay Topic 3
Asia played an important role in this book. Describe its role in the beginning of the book, and explain how the Japan is related to Alaska by the end of the book. Be certain to address Japan's relationship to Alaska during World War II.
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)