|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Varnak's people wandered for how many years?
2. What was Big Ears' new name?
3. What did Baranov want to build for Voronov?
4. Who was the company's representative to the Aleutian Islands?
5. What did the Indians think of the Americans in the settlement on Sitka?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the rum trading affect the Tlingits?
2. What did the Organic Act mean for those living in Alaska?
3. What was Cidaq's motivation in Chapter 5, and how did she use it?
4. What did the Tlingits want in Chapter 7?
5. How was Cidaq treated in Chapter 5?
6. How did Sitka Island become colonized?
7. According to Chapter 1, how did Alaska become separated from Asia? How was the landscape of Alaska changed?
8. Where did the animals come from and go to in Chapter 2?
9. How did the ice age affect the land that was to become Alaska?
10. Describe the different ice ages mentioned in Chapter 2.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail the relationship between the Tlingits and the settlers. Cite examples of when they got along and when they didn't. Address the overall feeling between the two people groups.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why the issue of statehood was so important. Detail why some people were for it and why some were against it. What changes occurred when Alaska reached statehood?
Essay Topic 3
Define what it meant to be a native Alaskan. What benefits do the natives have throughout the book? What are some of the negatives the natives had to deal with? Define two instances that demonstrate whether or not they were treated fairly.
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)