|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the mastadons' chief enemy?
2. What made the large bodies of ice move?
3. How large was Beringia?
4. How did the Tlingits respond when they saw the help arrive?
5. Where did the Americans in the settlement go for help?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Cidaq treated in Chapter 5?
2. What was Cidaq's motivation in Chapter 5, and how did she use it?
3. What role did food play in Varnak's story in Chapter 3?
4. What was the significance of the fur pelts in Chapter 4?
5. What is a land bridge? How was it significant in Chapter 1?
6. How did illness change the course of history for Trofin?
7. How did Sitka Island become colonized?
8. How did food factor into Oogruk's story in Chapter 3?
9. Where did Oogruk come from? How did he and his family live?
10. Describe the different ice ages mentioned in Chapter 2.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why the issue of statehood was so important. Detail why some people were for it and why some were against it. What changes occurred when Alaska reached statehood?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how each of the following people groups came to live in Alaska: Indians, Eskimos, and Aleuts. Explain which part of Alaska they settled in and address why they stayed there.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the evolution of the political system in Alaska.
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)