|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the Americans in the settlement go for help?
2. Varnak's people wandered for how many years?
3. Who were taken from Lapak in 1789?
4. How did the remaining islanders survive?
5. Whom did Zhdanko exchange gifts with when he landed on the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Chapter 4 highlight some of the cruelty involved in the fur trade business?
2. What effect did the gold rush have on Alaska?
3. How did the ice age affect the land that was to become Alaska?
4. How did illness change the course of history for Trofin?
5. How was Cidaq treated in Chapter 5?
6. What did the Organic Act mean for those living in Alaska?
7. According to Chapter 1, how did Alaska become separated from Asia? How was the landscape of Alaska changed?
8. How was discrimination shown to the natives?
9. What happened to the thirteen corporations by the end of Chapter 12?
10. How did the discovery of oil change the area in Chapter 12?
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail the relationship between the Tlingits and the settlers. Cite examples of when they got along and when they didn't. Address the overall feeling between the two people groups.
Essay Topic 2
Describe in great detail how the Gold Rush in Alaska affected the world. What were some of the good things it brought about? What were some of the negative things it brought about?
Essay Topic 3
Transportation played a big role in the history of this book. Choose three different modes of transportation that were highlighted in the book and explain how each one contributes to the story.
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)