|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Was there an ice cap at the North Pole?
2. What made the large bodies of ice move?
3. Where did the Americans in the settlement go for help?
4. Where did they decide to build ships?
5. Who departed Alaska in 1877?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the ice age affect the land that was to become Alaska?
2. How did things change when America took control of Alaska?
3. Who lived in Varnak's household? What were their roles?
4. How did illness change the course of history for Trofin?
5. How did the Indians react to the invasion of Russians?
6. How did Trofin Zhdanko escape his imprisonment?
7. Where did the animals come from and go to in Chapter 2?
8. How did Chapter 4 highlight some of the cruelty involved in the fur trade business?
9. How did Sitka Island become colonized?
10. Where did Oogruk come from? How did he and his family live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Transportation played a big role in the history of this book. Choose three different modes of transportation that were highlighted in the book and explain how each one contributes to the story.
Essay Topic 2
Write about the impact of trading between the settlers and the native. What goods were traded, and were the trades fair? What were some of the benefits of trading? What were some of the drawbacks?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how each of the following people groups came to live in Alaska: Indians, Eskimos, and Aleuts. Explain which part of Alaska they settled in and address why they stayed there.
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)