|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Oogruk and his family settle?
2. Where did the mastadon settle?
3. Was there an ice cap at the North Pole?
4. How did the remaining islanders survive?
5. Where did the Americans in the settlement go for help?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Cidaq treated in Chapter 5?
2. What was so important about the protuberance in the northwest corner of what was to become North America that the author mentioned in Chapter 1?
3. Describe the different ice ages mentioned in Chapter 2.
4. How is the mastodon related to the elephant?
5. What is a land bridge? How was it significant in Chapter 1?
6. Where did the animals come from and go to in Chapter 2?
7. How were the natives perceived by the Russians?
8. How did Sitka Island become colonized?
9. Where did Oogruk come from? How did he and his family live?
10. How did the Indians react to the invasion of Russians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Alaska is important to science by highlighting two specific examples of Alaskan elements which are globally significant.
Essay Topic 2
Describe in great detail how the Gold Rush in Alaska affected the world. What were some of the good things it brought about? What were some of the negative things it brought about?
Essay Topic 3
Define what it meant to be a native Alaskan. What benefits do the natives have throughout the book? What are some of the negatives the natives had to deal with? Define two instances that demonstrate whether or not they were treated fairly.
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)