|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Trofin Zhdanko live?
2. When the plates shifted, how many continents could they have attached to?
3. The protuberance would eventually become __________.
4. How large was Beringia?
5. How did the Tlingits respond when they saw the help arrive?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Chapter 1, how did Alaska become separated from Asia? How was the landscape of Alaska changed?
2. How did things change when America took control of Alaska?
3. What was so important about the protuberance in the northwest corner of what was to become North America that the author mentioned in Chapter 1?
4. What is a land bridge? How was it significant in Chapter 1?
5. What was the significance of the fur pelts in Chapter 4?
6. Where did the animals come from and go to in Chapter 2?
7. How were the natives perceived by the Russians?
8. How was Cidaq treated in Chapter 5?
9. How did Voronov change in Chapter 5?
10. What was Baranov's character like in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about the impact of trading between the settlers and the native. What goods were traded, and were the trades fair? What were some of the benefits of trading? What were some of the drawbacks?
Essay Topic 2
Describe in detail the relationship between the Tlingits and the settlers. Cite examples of when they got along and when they didn't. Address the overall feeling between the two people groups.
Essay Topic 3
Asia played an important role in this book. Describe its role in the beginning of the book, and explain how the Japan is related to Alaska by the end of the book. Be certain to address Japan's relationship to Alaska during World War II.
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)