|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the Russians build a fort?
2. How large was Beringia?
3. What animal did they hunt for food and other purposes when they reached their destination?
4. Varnak's people became known as _________.
5. Why did Tsar Peter Romanov want Trofin Zhdanko?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Cidaq's motivation in Chapter 5, and how did she use it?
2. What was so important about the shifting of the geological plates?
3. How did illness change the course of history for Trofin?
4. How did Voronov change in Chapter 5?
5. How did Sitka Island become colonized?
6. What dilemma did Tom face regarding workers?
7. How did airplanes in Alaska contribute to the war effort?
8. How did food factor into Oogruk's story in Chapter 3?
9. What effect did the Great Depression have on Alaska?
10. How did the ice age affect the land that was to become Alaska?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Transportation played a big role in the history of this book. Choose three different modes of transportation that were highlighted in the book and explain how each one contributes to the story.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout Alaska's history, other countries found it worthy of investigation. Explain why other countries invested time, people, and money in exploring Alaska.
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail the relationship between the Tlingits and the settlers. Cite examples of when they got along and when they didn't. Address the overall feeling between the two people groups.
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)