|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was sold when the Tsar Ivan came to the island?
2. Where did a land bridge form?
3. How did animals come to Alaska?
4. How many Ice Ages were there?
5. Varnak's people became known as _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Cidaq's motivation in Chapter 5, and how did she use it?
2. What was so important about the shifting of the geological plates?
3. How was Cidaq treated in Chapter 5?
4. What was Old One's character like in Chapter 5?
5. How did Sitka Island become colonized?
6. How did Voronov change in Chapter 5?
7. How did illness change the course of history for Trofin?
8. Describe the different ice ages mentioned in Chapter 2.
9. How is the mastodon related to the elephant?
10. How did food factor into Oogruk's story in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about weather and its effect on Alaska. Discuss how if affected the formation of Alaska and the people in Alaska, both native and newcomers.
Essay Topic 2
Bigears and Tom Venn had an interesting relationship. Write about their relationship and address their connections both professionally and personally.
Essay Topic 3
Asia played an important role in this book. Describe its role in the beginning of the book, and explain how the Japan is related to Alaska by the end of the book. Be certain to address Japan's relationship to Alaska during World War II.
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)