|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Trofin Zhdanko live?
2. Who was sold when the Tsar Ivan came to the island?
3. How old was Baranov when Ermelov had him investigated? and
4. As the book opened, the author addressed land formation from how many years ago?
5. How many Ice Ages were there?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Sitka Island become colonized?
2. How did Voronov change in Chapter 5?
3. Describe the different ice ages mentioned in Chapter 2.
4. Where did the animals come from and go to in Chapter 2?
5. How did food factor into Oogruk's story in Chapter 3?
6. What was the significance of the fur pelts in Chapter 4?
7. How is the mastodon related to the elephant?
8. What was Cidaq's motivation in Chapter 5, and how did she use it?
9. According to Chapter 1, how did Alaska become separated from Asia? How was the landscape of Alaska changed?
10. How did illness change the course of history for Trofin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author decided the start the book with the original formation of Alaska. Describe the Alaska's origins, and explain the changes that occurred to it geographically in its first billion years.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Alaska is important to science by highlighting two specific examples of Alaskan elements which are globally significant.
Essay Topic 3
Write about weather and its effect on Alaska. Discuss how if affected the formation of Alaska and the people in Alaska, both native and newcomers.
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)