|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Shaffer say they had to build?
(a) A larger business.
(b) A road across Canada.
(c) Their own airplane.
(d) A bigger boat.
2. What did the professors think about the trapping equipment which they had designed?
(a) They thought enough salmon would escape the traps to maintain the salmon population.
(b) They were pleased that the salmon were taken care of.
(c) They were certain to catch all the salmon in their path.
(d) They were concerned that the equipment was faulty.
3. Where did miners get supplies?
(a) They made them and hunted for them.
(b) Tom Venn's store.
(c) From their hometowns.
(d) From the natives.
4. Why did Lieutenant Maxim Voronov fly around?
(a) To visit friends.
(b) To check out the factories.
(c) To see where his ancestors had been.
(d) To test the safety of the planes.
5. What did the arriving Indians do to the totem pole?
(a) Worshipped it.
(b) Painted it.
(c) Carved it.
(d) Destroyed it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Nancy take Tom?
2. What happened to Ah Ting?
3. What happened Ben, the father?
4. What was one of the greatest problems in the miners' camps?
5. Who came to check out the cannery?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Tom, Missy, and Tammy feel about the statehood of Alaska?
2. What dilemma did Tom face regarding workers?
3. Why did the natives feel betrayed?
4. What was the problem with the law in Chapter 12?
5. How did LeRoy's investment benefit him?
6. What was Tom's romantic situation like in the latter part of Chapter 10?
7. What was the effect of automation on the workers?
8. What effect did the Great Depression have on Alaska?
9. What was the political system like in Chapter 9?
10. What did the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act do?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)