|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Ah Ting?
(a) He was fired.
(b) He disappeared.
(c) He became ill.
(d) He was promoted.
2. Where did Ah Ting go?
(a) To California
(b) To China
(c) To talk with Bigears.
(d) To the Philippines
3. What was one of the greatest problems in the miners' camps?
(b) Work ethic.
4. Why did Jeb Keeler go to Baflin Island?
(a) He was visiting a friend.
(b) He was checking out factories.
(c) He was on a hunting trip.
(d) He was looking for relatives.
5. What frequently happened in the hospital tent?
(a) The patients received excellent care.
(b) The men were robbed.
(c) Patients became more ill, not better.
(d) Political debates.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Oliver Rowntree go on Ross and Raglan ships?
2. What was shocking to Kendra?
3. How did Elmer Flatch contribute to the war effort?
4. What did Venn experience as he managed the Chinese and Filipino workers?
5. What happened to the Montreal Queen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect did the Great Depression have on Alaska?
2. Describe what cabotage is.
3. What did World War II do to Alaska's infrastructure?
4. How did the Flatch family contribute to the war effort?
5. What types of jobs did people have in Chapter 8 thanks to the gold rush?
6. How did Tom benefit from the miners in Chapter 9?
7. Describe the journey to the mines.
8. What was the problem with the law in Chapter 12?
9. Why did Ah Ting disappear?
10. How were native Alaskans treated by the United States government?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)