|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened when Sam went to fish in the river?
(a) A warden told him he couldn't.
(b) He caught so many fish his nets broke.
(c) He couldn't find any fish.
(d) He was swept out into the water.
2. Where did Nancy take Tom?
(a) To a play.
(b) To a cave.
(c) To her house.
3. Where did Missy work?
(a) In the restaurant.
(b) In the hospital tent.
(c) In the school.
(d) In Tom Venn's store.
4. What frequently happened in the hospital tent?
(a) Political debates.
(b) The men were robbed.
(c) The patients received excellent care.
(d) Patients became more ill, not better.
5. What did Kendra think of Jeb?
(a) She thought he was fine for a friend, but no more than that.
(b) She disliked him at first sight.
(c) She liked him enough to date him.
(d) She didn't trust him.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the Alaskan Code enacted?
2. Why were more airstrips appearing in Alaska?
3. Why did Lieutenant Maxim Voronov fly around?
4. Where did miners get supplies?
5. When was the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (ANCSA) enacted?
Short Essay Questions
1. What dilemma did Tom face regarding workers?
2. What effect did the gold rush have on Alaska?
3. How did the discovery of oil change the area in Chapter 12?
4. Describe what cabotage is.
5. Why did the natives feel betrayed?
6. What types of jobs did people have in Chapter 8 thanks to the gold rush?
7. How did Tom benefit from the miners in Chapter 9?
8. How did Matt Murphy make his living when he arrived in Nome?
9. Describe the journey to the mines.
10. Why did Ah Ting disappear?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)