|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to many of the men during the walk in the Yukon?
(a) They turned against each other and split.
(b) They became very close friends.
(c) They became ill.
(d) They died.
2. Where did Kendra and Jeb go with the locals?
(a) To the forest.
(b) On a factory tour.
(c) On a whaling expedition.
3. Why did Jeb decide to stay in Alaska?
(a) People kept offering him work.
(b) He wanted to stay with his new-found relatives.
(c) He fell in love with its beauty.
(d) He was running away from his old life.
4. What troops did Nate witness landing?
5. Why did Oliver Rowntree go on Ross and Raglan ships?
(a) To navigate them.
(b) To sabotage them.
(c) To help load and unload.
(d) The monitor trading transactions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Tom and his mother live at Lake Bennett?
2. Where did they set up the new business?
3. What did the Venn's use for transportation to Venn's Lode?
4. Why did the warships withdraw?
5. What happened to the Montreal Queen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the effect of automation on the workers?
2. What was Tom's romantic situation like in the latter part of Chapter 10?
3. In Chapter 9, what problem did people have with their claims?
4. What did World War II do to Alaska's infrastructure?
5. How did Matt Murphy make his living when he arrived in Nome?
6. How were native Alaskans treated by the United States government?
7. How did airplanes in Alaska contribute to the war effort?
8. What dilemma did Tom face regarding workers?
9. What were some of the dangers the characters in Chapter 8 faced?
10. Describe what cabotage is.
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)