|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What transportation did Sanquq use?
(a) A wagon.
(b) A donkey.
(c) A sled.
(d) A horse.
2. Where did miners get supplies?
(a) From the natives.
(b) Tom Venn's store.
(c) From their hometowns.
(d) They made them and hunted for them.
3. What did Venn experience as he managed the Chinese and Filipino workers?
(a) Everything was very smooth.
(b) They had language barrier problems.
(c) Aside from a few glitches, everyone respected each other, and there was no trouble.
(d) He experienced management problems.
4. What did Tom do after his mother moved in with John Klope?
(a) He opened a branch of a general store.
(b) He set off for the mines.
(c) He went panning for gold.
(d) He ran away.
5. Why were more airstrips appearing in Alaska?
(a) In anticipation of a tourist boom.
(b) In anticipation of increased trade.
(c) The roads for cars were terrible.
(d) In anticipation of United States' entry into the war.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Oliver Rowntree go on Ross and Raglan ships?
2. What was LeRoy's rank after the attack at Pearl Harbor?
3. What city was proposed as a new capital of Alaska?
4. How did Nate Coop contribute to the war effort?
5. Where did Tom spend Christmas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the problem with the law in Chapter 12?
2. What was the effect of automation on the workers?
3. How did LeRoy's investment benefit him?
4. What dilemma did Tom face regarding workers?
5. Describe what cabotage is.
6. What did the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act do?
7. How did Matt Murphy make his living when he arrived in Nome?
8. What effect did the Great Depression have on Alaska?
9. In Chapter 9, what problem did people have with their claims?
10. What was Tom's romantic situation like in the latter part of Chapter 10?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)