|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the arriving Indians do to the totem pole?
(a) Painted it.
(b) Carved it.
(c) Worshipped it.
(d) Destroyed it.
2. Where did miners get supplies?
(a) From the natives.
(b) From their hometowns.
(c) They made them and hunted for them.
(d) Tom Venn's store.
3. What happened to many of the men during the walk in the Yukon?
(a) They died.
(b) They became very close friends.
(c) They became ill.
(d) They turned against each other and split.
4. Why did Jeb Keeler go to Baflin Island?
(a) He was looking for relatives.
(b) He was checking out factories.
(c) He was visiting a friend.
(d) He was on a hunting trip.
5. Where did Tom move after Christmas?
(d) Pleiades Glacier
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Malcolm Venn on board?
2. What was a result of the Jones Act of 1920?
3. What did Kendra think of Jeb?
4. What did Venn experience as he managed the Chinese and Filipino workers?
5. What was Judge Grant like?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were native Alaskans treated by the United States government?
2. Describe the journey to the mines.
3. Describe what cabotage is.
4. How was discrimination shown to the natives?
5. What types of jobs did people have in Chapter 8 thanks to the gold rush?
6. How did the discovery of oil change the area in Chapter 12?
7. What was Tom's romantic situation like in the latter part of Chapter 10?
8. What effect did cabotage have on businesses and individuals?
9. What effect did the Great Depression have on Alaska?
10. What did World War II do to Alaska's infrastructure?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)