|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was the business operational?
2. The Venns helped rescue survivors of _________.
(a) A massive snowstorm.
(b) An avalanche.
(d) A tidal wave.
3. By 1919, what happened to Ross and Raglan?
(a) It was slowly collapsing.
(b) It had facilities in most Alaskan cities.
(c) It appeared stagnant.
(d) It went bankrupt.
4. Where did Tom move after Christmas?
(c) Pleiades Glacier
5. Why did Jeb decide to stay in Alaska?
(a) He wanted to stay with his new-found relatives.
(b) He fell in love with its beauty.
(c) People kept offering him work.
(d) He was running away from his old life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Matt Murphy bring to Fort Yukon?
2. What did Malcolm Ross want Tom to build?
3. Where did Nancy take Tom?
4. What brought 295 Minnesotans to Matanuska in 1935?
5. What was a result of the Jones Act of 1920?
Short Essay Questions
1. What dilemma did Tom face regarding workers?
2. Describe what cabotage is.
3. What did World War II do to Alaska's infrastructure?
4. How did Matt Murphy make his living when he arrived in Nome?
5. What types of jobs did people have in Chapter 8 thanks to the gold rush?
6. How was discrimination shown to the natives?
7. What did the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act do?
8. How did LeRoy's investment benefit him?
9. What was the problem with the law in Chapter 12?
10. What was Tom's romantic situation like in the latter part of Chapter 10?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)