|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did others think of the Venns?
(a) They were hard workers.
(b) They were arrogent.
(c) They were lazy.
(d) They were friendly but slow.
2. What happened to their business?
(a) It was destroyed in a fire.
(b) They ran out of supplies.
(c) It was very successful.
(d) No-one wanted to work with them.
3. Whom did Nancy marry?
(a) Tom Venn.
(b) Matt Murphy.
(c) Malcolm Ross.
(d) Ah Ting.
4. Who worked on the construction of the business?
(a) Russian workers.
(b) Chinese workers from San Francisco.
(c) Chinese workers from the Orient.
(d) Bigears and his Indian friends.
5. What was one of the greatest problems in the miners' camps?
(d) Work ethic.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did LeRoy Flatch contribute to the war effort?
2. What city was proposed as a new capital of Alaska?
3. What did the men find in Nome?
4. What brought more people to Alaska in 1973?
5. Where did they set up the new business?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what cabotage is.
2. How were native Alaskans treated by the United States government?
3. What was the problem with the law in Chapter 12?
4. How did Tom benefit from the miners in Chapter 9?
5. What was the political system like in Chapter 9?
6. What was the effect of automation on the workers?
7. How did Matt Murphy make his living when he arrived in Nome?
8. How did Tom, Missy, and Tammy feel about the statehood of Alaska?
9. What effect did the Great Depression have on Alaska?
10. What effect did cabotage have on businesses and individuals?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)