|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Varnak's people became known as _________.
2. What was happening to the fur trade?
(a) It was opening doors for other types of trading.
(b) It was disappearing rapidly.
(c) It was very lucrative.
(d) It remained constant.
3. How many days did it take to build their ship?
4. What animal did they hunt for food and other purposes when they reached their destination?
5. What made the large bodies of ice move?
(a) Forces of gravity.
(d) Large boats.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which natural force did not contribute to the formation of Alaska?
2. What were Jackson and Healy trying to prevent?
3. What eventually happened to the land bridge?
4. Who made the purchase from Tsar Ivan?
5. How did animals come to Alaska?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Chapter 4 highlight some of the cruelty involved in the fur trade business?
2. What did the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act do?
3. What is a land bridge? How was it significant in Chapter 1?
4. How did Matt Murphy make his living when he arrived in Nome?
5. Where did the animals come from and go to in Chapter 2?
6. What did the Tlingits want in Chapter 7?
7. What role did food play in Varnak's story in Chapter 3?
8. According to Chapter 1, how did Alaska become separated from Asia? How was the landscape of Alaska changed?
9. How did Tom benefit from the miners in Chapter 9?
10. How were the natives perceived by the Russians?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)