|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did animals come to Alaska?
(a) They swam to Alaska.
(b) People imported them.
(c) Migration when the continents were connected.
2. Where did Varnak originate?
3. The Pacific Plate collided with the continental plate resulting in the formation of _____________.
(b) A new land bridge.
(c) Mountains and lakes.
(d) Flat terrain.
4. When Captain Healy stopped his ship along the Alaskan coast, what did he find in the villages?
(a) Thriving businesses.
(b) Sick people.
(c) Mostly dead people.
(d) Americans working with natives.
5. What type of business did Zhdanko work in?
(b) Fur trading.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the company's representative to the Aleutian Islands?
2. Who commissioned Vitus Bering as captain?
3. Who departed Alaska in 1877?
4. When Russian boats returned two years later, they found the settlement was __________.
5. How high were summer temperatures?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Trofin Zhdanko escape his imprisonment?
2. How did Chapter 4 highlight some of the cruelty involved in the fur trade business?
3. How did things change when America took control of Alaska?
4. How did the ice age affect the land that was to become Alaska?
5. How were the natives perceived by the Russians?
6. What was Old One's character like in Chapter 5?
7. What was Cidaq's motivation in Chapter 5, and how did she use it?
8. What was so important about the protuberance in the northwest corner of what was to become North America that the author mentioned in Chapter 1?
9. How did food factor into Oogruk's story in Chapter 3?
10. According to Chapter 1, how did Alaska become separated from Asia? How was the landscape of Alaska changed?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)