|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did it take the family to reach their destination?
(a) Six months.
(b) One year.
(c) Six days.
(d) One day.
2. What happened to Custom House revenues at Sitka after the Americans took control of Alaska?
(a) They stayed the same.
(b) They increased dramatically.
(c) The dropped.
(d) They steadily increased.
3. Baranov's house was used as a __________.
(d) Meeting place.
4. Varnak's descendants who traveled south to Arizona and became Navajo Indians were known as _________.
(a) Native Alaskans.
5. Who commissioned Vitus Bering as captain?
(a) Tsar Peter Romanov.
(b) Catherine the Great.
(c) Trofin Bhdanko.
(d) He was self appointed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alaska was joined to what land mass during the Ice Age?
2. Where was there a protuberance?
3. What were the mastadons' chief enemy?
4. What did Baranov think about supplying rum and guns to the natives?
5. Where did Varnak originate?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Sitka Island become colonized?
2. Describe the different ice ages mentioned in Chapter 2.
3. What were some of the dangers the characters in Chapter 8 faced?
4. What was the political system like in Chapter 9?
5. How did the canning industry emerge in Alaska according to Chapter 10?
6. What did the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act do?
7. What effect did cabotage have on businesses and individuals?
8. Why were other countries interested in Alaska?
9. How did the discovery of oil change the area in Chapter 12?
10. How were the natives perceived by the Russians?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)