|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was there a protuberance?
(a) In the southeast corner of what was to become Asia.
(b) In the northwest corner of what was to become North America.
(c) In the northwest corner of what was to become Africa.
(d) In the southeast corner of what was to become South America.
2. Varnak's people became known as _________.
3. What is a peninsula?
(a) A crater near the water.
(b) A piece of land that is connected to the mainland by an isthmus.
(c) An island very close to a large land mass.
(d) A pathway through the mountains.
4. What job did Mrs. Caldwell have?
(a) Preacher's wife.
(c) Milk maid.
5. As the book opened, the author addressed land formation from how many years ago?
(a) Approximately a thousand.
(b) Approximately hundred.
(c) Approximately a billion.
(d) Approximately million.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the company's representative to the Aleutian Islands?
2. To whom did Russia plan to sell Alaska?
3. Was there an ice cap at the North Pole?
4. Where did the mastadon settle?
5. Varnak's descendants who traveled south to Arizona and became Navajo Indians were known as _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was so important about the shifting of the geological plates?
2. What did the Tlingits want in Chapter 7?
3. Where did Oogruk come from? How did he and his family live?
4. Describe the different ice ages mentioned in Chapter 2.
5. What was so important about the protuberance in the northwest corner of what was to become North America that the author mentioned in Chapter 1?
6. How were the natives perceived by the Russians?
7. How did illness change the course of history for Trofin?
8. How did Voronov change in Chapter 5?
9. What was Cidaq's motivation in Chapter 5, and how did she use it?
10. What role did food play in Varnak's story in Chapter 3?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)