|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Trofin got to Okhotsk?
(a) To assassinate someone .
(b) To escape from the Tsar.
(c) To build a ship.
(d) To hunt.
2. What eventually happened to the land bridge?
(a) It separated and became an island.
(b) It shifted to become a new continent.
(c) It expanded.
(d) It disappeared, covered by water.
3. What happened to Custom House revenues at Sitka after the Americans took control of Alaska?
(a) They increased dramatically.
(b) They steadily increased.
(c) They stayed the same.
(d) The dropped.
4. What is a peninsula?
(a) A crater near the water.
(b) An island very close to a large land mass.
(c) A piece of land that is connected to the mainland by an isthmus.
(d) A pathway through the mountains.
5. How did the remaining islanders survive?
(a) By eating berries.
(b) By hunting for whales.
(c) By hunting for mammoth.
(d) By planting gardens.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did animals come to Alaska?
2. Baranov showed the Tlingits __________.
3. What happened to the shaman who tried to help Cidaq?
4. Trofkins team came from all the countries listed except for __________.
5. What were Jackson and Healy trying to prevent?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the rum trading affect the Tlingits?
2. How were the natives perceived by the Russians?
3. How did Sitka Island become colonized?
4. What did the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act do?
5. What was Baranov's character like in Chapter 6?
6. What happened to the thirteen corporations by the end of Chapter 12?
7. How did Matt Murphy make his living when he arrived in Nome?
8. Where did Oogruk come from? How did he and his family live?
9. How was discrimination shown to the natives?
10. Who seemed to have the power in Alaska by the end of Chapter 12?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)