|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did they decide to build ships?
2. The mastadon evolved to become _________.
(a) A Mountain.
(b) A large river.
(c) An alligator.
(d) The Mammoth.
3. What did Lieutenant Ermelov think of Baranov?
(a) He admired Baranov's handling of government funds.
(b) He was impressed with his honesty.
(c) He was very critical of his use of government funds.
(d) He found him to be a very practical man.
4. Varnak's descendants who traveled south to Arizona and became Navajo Indians were known as _________.
(d) Native Alaskans.
5. When Captain Healy stopped his ship along the Alaskan coast, what did he find in the villages?
(a) Sick people.
(b) Mostly dead people.
(c) Americans working with natives.
(d) Thriving businesses.
Short Answer Questions
1. How high were summer temperatures?
2. How large was Beringia?
3. How did the Tlingits respond when they saw the help arrive?
4. What would happen to Raven-heart when his master died?
5. Where did Varnak originate?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did food factor into Oogruk's story in Chapter 3?
2. How did things change when America took control of Alaska?
3. According to Chapter 1, how did Alaska become separated from Asia? How was the landscape of Alaska changed?
4. What did the Organic Act mean for those living in Alaska?
5. How did the ice age affect the land that was to become Alaska?
6. What was so important about the protuberance in the northwest corner of what was to become North America that the author mentioned in Chapter 1?
7. How did Sitka Island become colonized?
8. Who lived in Varnak's household? What were their roles?
9. What was Old One's character like in Chapter 5?
10. What is a land bridge? How was it significant in Chapter 1?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)