|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom did Nancy marry?
(a) Matt Murphy.
(b) Ah Ting.
(c) Malcolm Ross.
(d) Tom Venn.
2. What brought people into the region in 1968?
(a) Gold discoveries.
(b) Education opportunities.
(c) An oil discovery.
3. What did the professors think about the trapping equipment which they had designed?
(a) They were certain to catch all the salmon in their path.
(b) They were concerned that the equipment was faulty.
(c) They were pleased that the salmon were taken care of.
(d) They thought enough salmon would escape the traps to maintain the salmon population.
4. What did Jeb and Poley Markham find in the water that Jeb wanted to keep?
5. Where did Klope go after two years in Alaska?
6. What did Kendra think of Jeb?
(a) She didn't trust him.
(b) She disliked him at first sight.
(c) She liked him enough to date him.
(d) She thought he was fine for a friend, but no more than that.
7. What happened when Sam went to fish in the river?
(a) He was swept out into the water.
(b) He caught so many fish his nets broke.
(c) He couldn't find any fish.
(d) A warden told him he couldn't.
8. How was Elmer injured?
(a) By an attack dog.
(b) By a falling crate.
(c) In a construction accident.
(d) By a Bullet.
9. What did the arriving Indians do to the totem pole?
(a) Carved it.
(b) Destroyed it.
(c) Painted it.
(d) Worshipped it.
10. What was the investigation team studying?
(a) The relationships between workers and management.
(b) The effects of the cannery and pollution
(c) The effects of the cannery on the salmon population in other places.
(d) The functionality of the new equipment.
11. Why did Jeb Keeler go to Baflin Island?
(a) He was on a hunting trip.
(b) He was visiting a friend.
(c) He was checking out factories.
(d) He was looking for relatives.
12. What frequently happened in the hospital tent?
(a) Political debates.
(b) The patients received excellent care.
(c) Patients became more ill, not better.
(d) The men were robbed.
13. What did the Venn's use for transportation to Venn's Lode?
(a) A boat.
(b) A car.
(c) A horse.
(d) A plane.
14. When was the business operational?
15. What was one of the greatest problems in the miners' camps?
(a) Work ethic.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Tom and his mother live at Lake Bennett?
2. What brought 295 Minnesotans to Matanuska in 1935?
3. What happened to Arikov's claim?
4. The Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act did all the following except __________.
5. Why did Ross decide to get rid of the workers?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)