|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did miners get supplies?
(a) Tom Venn's store.
(b) They made them and hunted for them.
(c) From the natives.
(d) From their hometowns.
2. What did they name the new business?
(a) Totem Cannery.
(b) Tom's Totems.
(c) Ross and Venn.
(d) Tom's Cannery.
3. What did the arriving Indians do to the totem pole?
(a) Worshipped it.
(b) Destroyed it.
(c) Carved it.
(d) Painted it.
4. Who worked on the construction of the business?
(a) Russian workers.
(b) Bigears and his Indian friends.
(c) Chinese workers from the Orient.
(d) Chinese workers from San Francisco.
5. What happened to the Montreal Queen?
(a) It sank in a storm.
(b) It brought more business.
(c) It was crushed by a tidal wave.
(d) It was gunned down.
6. Where did Tom spend Christmas?
(a) Pleiades Glacier.
7. What brought more people to Alaska in 1973?
(a) The pipeline project.
(b) Educational opportunities.
(c) Hunting opportunities.
8. What did Malcolm Ross want Tom to build?
(a) A salmon cannery.
(b) A factory.
(c) A wagon.
(d) A boat.
9. Why were more airstrips appearing in Alaska?
(a) The roads for cars were terrible.
(b) In anticipation of a tourist boom.
(c) In anticipation of increased trade.
(d) In anticipation of United States' entry into the war.
10. What did Kendra Scott do in Desolation Point?
(c) Delivered mail.
(d) Flew airplanes.
11. Where did Ah Ting go?
(a) To the Philippines
(b) To talk with Bigears.
(c) To California
(d) To China
12. Where did Tom and his mother live at Lake Bennett?
(a) In a boarding house.
(b) In a castle.
(c) In a cabin.
(d) In a tent city.
13. What happened to their business?
(a) It was very successful.
(b) They ran out of supplies.
(c) It was destroyed in a fire.
(d) No-one wanted to work with them.
14. What did LeRoy do after the war?
(a) Became a bush pilot.
(c) Repaired engines.
(d) Managed a factory.
15. What is cabotage?
(a) When a ship delivered too much cargo at a port.
(b) When a ship lacked a good supply of vegetables.
(c) When a ship that delivered to a port could not take on cargo and passengers.
(d) When a ship had too many vegetables so they rotted.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position did the Tinglits hold business-wise?
2. What brought 295 Minnesotans to Matanuska in 1935?
3. What was Judge Grant like?
4. Where did Tom move after Christmas?
5. What did Shaffer say they had to build?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)