|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was one of the greatest problems in the miners' camps?
(a) Work ethic.
2. What did others think of the Venns?
(a) They were arrogent.
(b) They were friendly but slow.
(c) They were hard workers.
(d) They were lazy.
3. How did Nate Coop contribute to the war effort?
(a) Foot soldier.
(c) Building highways.
4. Whom did Nancy marry?
(a) Ah Ting.
(b) Malcolm Ross.
(c) Matt Murphy.
(d) Tom Venn.
5. What happened Ben, the father?
(a) He died from cholera.
(b) He was killed in a mining accident.
(c) He became a successful business man.
(d) He was killed in a sledding accident.
6. Where did Tom move after Christmas?
(b) Pleiades Glacier
7. What did Malcolm Ross want Tom to build?
(a) A salmon cannery.
(b) A boat.
(c) A wagon.
(d) A factory.
8. What did the Venn's use for transportation to Venn's Lode?
(a) A horse.
(b) A car.
(c) A plane.
(d) A boat.
9. Where did they set up the new business?
(a) In a cave.
(b) A few miles from Juneau.
(c) On Taku Inlet.
(d) Next to the store.
10. What did Tom do after his mother moved in with John Klope?
(a) He ran away.
(b) He set off for the mines.
(c) He opened a branch of a general store.
(d) He went panning for gold.
11. What did Venn experience as he managed the Chinese and Filipino workers?
(a) They had language barrier problems.
(b) Aside from a few glitches, everyone respected each other, and there was no trouble.
(c) Everything was very smooth.
(d) He experienced management problems.
12. What happened to many of the men during the walk in the Yukon?
(a) They died.
(b) They became very close friends.
(c) They became ill.
(d) They turned against each other and split.
13. What was the investigation team studying?
(a) The effects of the cannery on the salmon population in other places.
(b) The functionality of the new equipment.
(c) The effects of the cannery and pollution
(d) The relationships between workers and management.
14. What was LeRoy's rank after the attack at Pearl Harbor?
(a) Lieutenant Corporal.
(b) First Lieutenant.
(d) Second Lieutenant.
15. What did the arriving Indians do to the totem pole?
(a) Worshipped it.
(b) Carved it.
(c) Painted it.
(d) Destroyed it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Carmack's field located?
2. What was a result of the Jones Act of 1920?
3. Where did Tom and his mother live at Lake Bennett?
4. Where did Tom spend Christmas?
5. When was the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (ANCSA) enacted?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)