|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What destroys power service to Timucuan County?
2. Where does Randy get a case of Mason jars?
3. What month seems to be one with plenty of food?
4. What does the Acting President announce on the radio?
5. What will Randy be driving when he goes after the highwaymen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Randy think about the highwaymen after Dan tells him his story?
2. What does Randy see when the highwaymen ambush him and what does he do?
3. How does Randy plan to find and battle the highwaymen?
4. What happens to Ben the night Dan is robbed?
5. What happens when Malachai stops at the ambush?
6. What kind of illness in town worries Dan and who seems to have it?
7. What is Dan using for antiseptic and for anesthetic?
8. What has happened to the electrical service at Ft. Repose?
9. How do Dan and Randy figure out where the illness is coming from?
10. What has Peyton found in the attic and what does Randy say to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Randy dislikes violence and guns but draws his pistol to maintain order and get enough volunteers to bury Porky with his radioactive jewelry. The next change of circumstance alerts him to a lack of authority in Fort Repose.
1. Why do you think people need authority or government in order to behave properly? Use examples from the book and/or your life to support your answer.
2. Do you think from what you know of humans, there will ever be a time a large group of people living together in the same area would not need a form of universal governing? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
They take one prisoner to hang the next day in town. They leave three dead highwaymen to rot on the road as a silent witness that crime in Fort Repose won't pay.
1. Justice has been changed by "The Day." No trials, appeals, etc. just martial law and a swift hanging. Do you think this is good or bad? Why or why not?
2. Why do you think Randy wanted to hang the highwayman instead of just shooting him out on the road?
3. If you had the responsibility that Randy has how would you have handled the problem of highwaymen? Use several examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Civilization retreats a hundred years in Fort Repose on The Day.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. What do you think would happen in the United States in the present if all electrical power was permanently lost?
3. Do you think the loss of government and electrical power would cause some people to act better and some to behave worse than normal? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,328 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)