|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Lib when Randy returned home from the Porky affair?
2. What has happened to a lot of the parked cars in Ft. Repose?
3. What happened at Dan's office?
4. What does Dan decide to use for anesthesia?
5. What is Randy dreaming about as he wakes at the beginning of Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Dan and Randy figure out where the illness is coming from?
2. What happens at Dan's office?
3. What happens when Malachai stops at the ambush?
4. What does Randy think about the highwaymen after Dan tells him his story?
5. What does Rita say about the highwaymen and what does she do?
6. What does Randy decide to do about the highwaymen and what does he put at the bandstand?
7. What is the problem the community is having with salt and fish?
8. What has happened to the electrical service at Ft. Repose?
9. When were Lib and Randy married? Who performed the service? What did the bride and groom wear?
10. What happened to Dan when he was beaten?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Alas, Babylon" is from Revelation and signifies impending doom. Mark and Randy agree the previous Christmas that "Alas, Babylon" signifies a potential nuclear confrontation with the Soviet Union.
1. What would be your thoughts if you had been in Randy's position when he received the telegram?
2. Do you think Randy should tell his friends about the telegram? Why or why not?
3. Do you think it is fair for Mark to try and save his family because he is in the position to know about a possible war ahead of time? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
When Randy meets Mark at McCoy the political situation is bad. The brothers realize they may never see each other again and Randy stops in sorrow on the way home.
1. Why do you think Mark is not coming to Fr. Repose with his family?
2. If you were Mark, would you do what he is doing or would you come to Ft. Repose with your family? Why or why not?
3. How would you feel if you saw a member of your family at an airport and knew you would probably never see that person again?
Essay Topic 3
Alice becomes a learning resource for the community and helps Dan practice hypnosis for anesthesia. When old methods don't work or are not available, new methods for doing essential tasks must be found.
1. Do you think some interesting inventions might come out of this tragedy? Why or why not?
2. What do you think are the most important needs to survive in a world with no medical supplies or electricity? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,262 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)