|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will Randy be driving when he goes after the highwaymen?
2. On what day do Lib and Randy marry?
3. What does Peyton find that lifts everyone's spirits?
4. What is the wedding present Bill gives Lib and Randy?
5. From where did they get candy for the children in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Malachai stops at the ambush?
2. What happens to Ben the night Dan is robbed?
3. What does Randy see when the highwaymen ambush him and what does he do?
4. What does Randy decide to do about the highwaymen and what does he put at the bandstand?
5. What happens to the frozen food at Randy's and what do they decide to do about it?
6. What does Rita say about the highwaymen and what does she do?
7. How do they take care of Porky Logan's body?
8. How does Dan keep his car going and the Admiral's radio working?
9. What is Dan using for antiseptic and for anesthetic?
10. What has Peyton found in the attic and what does Randy say to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Edgar Quisenberry is in denial, believing he has enough cash and the bank enough staying power to make it through. Pride and arrogance stop him from limiting withdrawals as his teller suggests.
1. Why do you think someone would withdraw into a delusion when afraid?
2. Describe a time when you or someone you know denied a situation because of fear.
3. Do you think if you had been in the situation when the bombs dropped you might go into denial? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Randy asks who won but Paul's answer includes the remark that there isn't much left to win, that it didn't really matter.
1. Do you think countries would ever have an all out nuclear war knowing that it would destroy civilization? Why or why not?
2. How do you think the U.S. was able to determine it had won the war? Do you think it mattered? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
A civilization takes many things for granted but realizes their value only in their absence.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement from the perspective of the book?
2. What do you think people in present day America take for granted?
3. Describe a time that you or someone you knew lost something or someone that/who was taken for granted.
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)