|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the mayor barricade himself in at home while Randy arranged something for Porky?
2. What is Randy dreaming about as he wakes at the beginning of Chapter 10?
3. What does Helen find three days after the Day?
4. What does Randy think the highwaymen are using to find people vulnerable to them?
5. What color is Dan's beard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the frozen food at Randy's and what do they decide to do about it?
2. What is the problem the community is having with salt and fish?
3. What happens when Malachai stops at the ambush?
4. What has happened to the electrical service at Ft. Repose?
5. Who asks Randy for permission to make corn whiskey and what does he need?
6. What does Randy see when the highwaymen ambush him and what does he do?
7. What has Peyton found in the attic and what does Randy say to her?
8. What happens at Dan's office?
9. How do Dan and Randy figure out where the illness is coming from?
10. In what shape do they find Dan and what happened to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Randy returns with a fleet of boats full of salt and blue crab to a dining table heaped with delicious roast armadillo, and a kitchen sink with four large black bass. Three crying women convince him women need a man around.
1. Do you think that women were viewed differently at the time this book was published? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think Peyton is being treated fairly by her family and especially her brother? Why or why not?
3. If you were a child in this book would you rather be Peyton or Ben? Why?
Essay Topic 2
In times of deprivation, dream fantasies like Randy's coffee and eclairs relieve anxieties associated with desire. The dream is a real Lib and coffee but Randy selflessly asks to be sure everyone gets a ration of the scarce treats.
1. Why do you think Randy is dreaming of coffee and eclairs? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think dreaming or thinking about something you can't have is healthy? Why or why not?
3. How do you think the loss of common everyday items has changed Randy's character? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Edgar Quisenberry is in denial, believing he has enough cash and the bank enough staying power to make it through. Pride and arrogance stop him from limiting withdrawals as his teller suggests.
1. Why do you think someone would withdraw into a delusion when afraid?
2. Describe a time when you or someone you know denied a situation because of fear.
3. Do you think if you had been in the situation when the bombs dropped you might go into denial? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,281 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)