|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of illness in town has Dan worried?
2. Who do they find dead in bed with a case of jewelry?
3. Who does Peyton ask about fishing?
4. What does Randy take to town to barter for coffee?
5. Who gets Dan to stop on the way home from seeing the children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Malachai stops at the ambush?
2. When were Lib and Randy married? Who performed the service? What did the bride and groom wear?
3. What does Randy decide to do about the highwaymen and what does he put at the bandstand?
4. What does Rita say about the highwaymen and what does she do?
5. What does Randy think about the highwaymen after Dan tells him his story?
6. What kind of illness in town worries Dan and who seems to have it?
7. What happens to the frozen food at Randy's and what do they decide to do about it?
8. What happened to Dan when he was beaten?
9. What has happened to the electrical service at Ft. Repose?
10. In what shape do they find Dan and what happened to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ironically, Edgar starts a bank run and single-handedly destroys the cash and credit he believes civilization needs to survive. He is humiliated and takes his own life because he cannot face it.
1. Do think humiliation could actually cause someone to commit suicide? Why or why not?
2. What do you usually do when you've been humiliated or very embarrassed?
3. What have you learned from times in which you've been humiliated or embarrassed? How would it relate to Edgar?
Essay Topic 2
Edgar Quisenberry is in denial, believing he has enough cash and the bank enough staying power to make it through. Pride and arrogance stop him from limiting withdrawals as his teller suggests.
1. Why do you think someone would withdraw into a delusion when afraid?
2. Describe a time when you or someone you know denied a situation because of fear.
3. Do you think if you had been in the situation when the bombs dropped you might go into denial? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Randy returns with a fleet of boats full of salt and blue crab to a dining table heaped with delicious roast armadillo, and a kitchen sink with four large black bass. Three crying women convince him women need a man around.
1. Do you think that women were viewed differently at the time this book was published? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think Peyton is being treated fairly by her family and especially her brother? Why or why not?
3. If you were a child in this book would you rather be Peyton or Ben? Why?
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)