|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Randy invite to move into his house?
2. Who has been stealing the Henrs' chickens?
3. Why does Ben need surgery?
4. For what does Two-Tone ask Randy?
5. What happened to Jim Hickey?
Essay Topic 1
Crises expose the nature of characters in Fort Repose. Randy and his neighbors on River Road struggle to survive by helping each other make the best of what they have.
1. Why do you think a crisis shows who people really are? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. If you were in a crisis as severe as the one in this book, who in your life would be the best person to have with you? Why?
3. How do you think your behavior would change if something like the crisis in this book occurred?
Essay Topic 2
Ironically, Edgar starts a bank run and single-handedly destroys the cash and credit he believes civilization needs to survive. He is humiliated and takes his own life because he cannot face it.
1. Do think humiliation could actually cause someone to commit suicide? Why or why not?
2. What do you usually do when you've been humiliated or very embarrassed?
3. What have you learned from times in which you've been humiliated or embarrassed? How would it relate to Edgar?
Essay Topic 3
Randy's final humiliation of Edgar by trading paper for cash to buy goods symbolizes the fate he boasts won't happen with him in charge.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Why do you think Edgar is unwilling to see what might be the reality of the situation with his bank?
3. Describe one other use of symbolism you've seen in the book so far.
This section contains 1,899 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)