|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Randy take to town to barter for coffee?
2. Where does Randy get a case of Mason jars?
3. Who is the acting Chief Executive of the United States?
4. Who marries Lib and Randy?
5. Why does Bill want Randy's lawn roller?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened to the electrical service at Ft. Repose?
2. What happens at Dan's office?
3. When were Lib and Randy married? Who performed the service? What did the bride and groom wear?
4. How do Dan and Randy figure out where the illness is coming from?
5. What happens when Malachai stops at the ambush?
6. What kind of illness in town worries Dan and who seems to have it?
7. What does Randy plan to do about water for the house?
8. How do they take care of Porky Logan's body?
9. How does Dan keep his car going and the Admiral's radio working?
10. How does Randy plan to find and battle the highwaymen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Alas, Babylon" is from Revelation and signifies impending doom. Mark and Randy agree the previous Christmas that "Alas, Babylon" signifies a potential nuclear confrontation with the Soviet Union.
1. What would be your thoughts if you had been in Randy's position when he received the telegram?
2. Do you think Randy should tell his friends about the telegram? Why or why not?
3. Do you think it is fair for Mark to try and save his family because he is in the position to know about a possible war ahead of time? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
When Randy meets Mark at McCoy the political situation is bad. The brothers realize they may never see each other again and Randy stops in sorrow on the way home.
1. Why do you think Mark is not coming to Fr. Repose with his family?
2. If you were Mark, would you do what he is doing or would you come to Ft. Repose with your family? Why or why not?
3. How would you feel if you saw a member of your family at an airport and knew you would probably never see that person again?
Essay Topic 3
Randy dislikes violence and guns but draws his pistol to maintain order and get enough volunteers to bury Porky with his radioactive jewelry. The next change of circumstance alerts him to a lack of authority in Fort Repose.
1. Why do you think people need authority or government in order to behave properly? Use examples from the book and/or your life to support your answer.
2. Do you think from what you know of humans, there will ever be a time a large group of people living together in the same area would not need a form of universal governing? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,212 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)