|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dan decide to use for anesthesia?
2. What has happened to a lot of the parked cars in Ft. Repose?
3. What does Randy think the highwaymen are using to find people vulnerable to them?
4. With what does Randy shave?
5. Who does Randy invite to move into his house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Randy plan to find and battle the highwaymen?
2. What has happened to the electrical service at Ft. Repose?
3. What does Randy decide to do about the highwaymen and what does he put at the bandstand?
4. What does Rita say about the highwaymen and what does she do?
5. How does Dan keep his car going and the Admiral's radio working?
6. What kind of illness in town worries Dan and who seems to have it?
7. How do they take care of Porky Logan's body?
8. What happens when Malachai stops at the ambush?
9. How do Dan and Randy figure out where the illness is coming from?
10. What happens to the Admiral's shortwave and what can be done about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Edgar Quisenberry is in denial, believing he has enough cash and the bank enough staying power to make it through. Pride and arrogance stop him from limiting withdrawals as his teller suggests.
1. Why do you think someone would withdraw into a delusion when afraid?
2. Describe a time when you or someone you know denied a situation because of fear.
3. Do you think if you had been in the situation when the bombs dropped you might go into denial? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Alice becomes a learning resource for the community and helps Dan practice hypnosis for anesthesia. When old methods don't work or are not available, new methods for doing essential tasks must be found.
1. Do you think some interesting inventions might come out of this tragedy? Why or why not?
2. What do you think are the most important needs to survive in a world with no medical supplies or electricity? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
They take one prisoner to hang the next day in town. They leave three dead highwaymen to rot on the road as a silent witness that crime in Fort Repose won't pay.
1. Justice has been changed by "The Day." No trials, appeals, etc. just martial law and a swift hanging. Do you think this is good or bad? Why or why not?
2. Why do you think Randy wanted to hang the highwayman instead of just shooting him out on the road?
3. If you had the responsibility that Randy has how would you have handled the problem of highwaymen? Use several examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,234 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)