|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gets Dan to stop on the way home from seeing the children?
2. What is Randy dreaming about as he wakes at the beginning of Chapter 10?
3. When do the highwaymen hit their victims?
4. What two essential services were lost from the power failure?
5. What does Conelrad say people should do for water?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do they take care of Porky Logan's body?
2. What does Randy plan to do about water for the house?
3. In what shape do they find Dan and what happened to him?
4. What happens to the frozen food at Randy's and what do they decide to do about it?
5. What happens to the Admiral's shortwave and what can be done about it?
6. What happens at Dan's office?
7. How does Randy plan to find and battle the highwaymen?
8. What is Dan using for antiseptic and for anesthetic?
9. What kind of illness in town worries Dan and who seems to have it?
10. How do Dan and Randy figure out where the illness is coming from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dan briefs Randy on the beating incident so he can make plans to take action. His earlier observation that dogs can become wolves is indicative of the change of heart Randy has in the wake of Dan's beating. The highwaymen are a threat to the River Road enclave and the community as a whole. Randy calmly says he will kill them.
1. How does this statement show a change in Randy's attitude towards life? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think "law of the jungle" will always prevail in this type of situation? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Ben is upset that he shoots what he sees as a wolf but is a pet German Shepherd. Randy consoles Ben that dogs can turn into wolves at times like these.
1. What kind of circumstances do you think might have force the German shepherd into a wild animal?
2. What do you think would keep men from turning from civilized men to murderers and thieves at a time like in this book?
3. Describe another situation besides the one in the book that could make decent people turn bad.
Essay Topic 3
Alice becomes a learning resource for the community and helps Dan practice hypnosis for anesthesia. When old methods don't work or are not available, new methods for doing essential tasks must be found.
1. Do you think some interesting inventions might come out of this tragedy? Why or why not?
2. What do you think are the most important needs to survive in a world with no medical supplies or electricity? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,246 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)