|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Dan when he tries to keep his medical bag?
2. Who was shot during the battle with the highwaymen?
3. Where does Randy go to find a truck decoy for getting the highwaymen?
4. What kind of business does Bill Cullen have?
5. What does Randy tell Bubba about the cost of getting rid of Porky's body?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Dan and Randy figure out where the illness is coming from?
2. What happens at Dan's office?
3. How does Dan keep his car going and the Admiral's radio working?
4. What does Randy plan to do about water for the house?
5. What does Randy see when the highwaymen ambush him and what does he do?
6. What happens to the frozen food at Randy's and what do they decide to do about it?
7. What has happened to the electrical service at Ft. Repose?
8. What happens to the Admiral's shortwave and what can be done about it?
9. What happened to Dan when he was beaten?
10. What are some of the things Randy discovers a few months after the Day, what does he miss and how does he feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Randy's final humiliation of Edgar by trading paper for cash to buy goods symbolizes the fate he boasts won't happen with him in charge.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Why do you think Edgar is unwilling to see what might be the reality of the situation with his bank?
3. Describe one other use of symbolism you've seen in the book so far.
Essay Topic 2
Randy returns with a fleet of boats full of salt and blue crab to a dining table heaped with delicious roast armadillo, and a kitchen sink with four large black bass. Three crying women convince him women need a man around.
1. Do you think that women were viewed differently at the time this book was published? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think Peyton is being treated fairly by her family and especially her brother? Why or why not?
3. If you were a child in this book would you rather be Peyton or Ben? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Randy asks who won but Paul's answer includes the remark that there isn't much left to win, that it didn't really matter.
1. Do you think countries would ever have an all out nuclear war knowing that it would destroy civilization? Why or why not?
2. How do you think the U.S. was able to determine it had won the war? Do you think it mattered? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,196 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)