|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what does Randy shave?
2. Why does Ben need surgery?
3. What does Peyton find that lifts everyone's spirits?
4. What happened at Dan's office?
5. Who do they find dead in bed with a case of jewelry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Randy think about the highwaymen after Dan tells him his story?
2. What has Peyton found in the attic and what does Randy say to her?
3. How do they take care of Porky Logan's body?
4. What happens to the Admiral's shortwave and what can be done about it?
5. What happens to the frozen food at Randy's and what do they decide to do about it?
6. What has happened to the electrical service at Ft. Repose?
7. What does Randy decide to do about the highwaymen and what does he put at the bandstand?
8. What happened to Dan when he was beaten?
9. How does Dan keep his car going and the Admiral's radio working?
10. How do Dan and Randy figure out where the illness is coming from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Randy meets Mark at McCoy the political situation is bad. The brothers realize they may never see each other again and Randy stops in sorrow on the way home.
1. Why do you think Mark is not coming to Fr. Repose with his family?
2. If you were Mark, would you do what he is doing or would you come to Ft. Repose with your family? Why or why not?
3. How would you feel if you saw a member of your family at an airport and knew you would probably never see that person again?
Essay Topic 2
Randy returns with a fleet of boats full of salt and blue crab to a dining table heaped with delicious roast armadillo, and a kitchen sink with four large black bass. Three crying women convince him women need a man around.
1. Do you think that women were viewed differently at the time this book was published? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think Peyton is being treated fairly by her family and especially her brother? Why or why not?
3. If you were a child in this book would you rather be Peyton or Ben? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Randy's final humiliation of Edgar by trading paper for cash to buy goods symbolizes the fate he boasts won't happen with him in charge.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Why do you think Edgar is unwilling to see what might be the reality of the situation with his bank?
3. Describe one other use of symbolism you've seen in the book so far.
This section contains 1,158 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)