|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Henrys think they are losing hens?
2. What will Randy be driving when he goes after the highwaymen?
3. Who gets Dan to stop on the way home from seeing the children?
4. What does Randy take to town to barter for coffee?
5. What does Randy tell Bubba about the cost of getting rid of Porky's body?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at Dan's office?
2. What does Rita say about the highwaymen and what does she do?
3. Who asks Randy for permission to make corn whiskey and what does he need?
4. What happens to Ben the night Dan is robbed?
5. When were Lib and Randy married? Who performed the service? What did the bride and groom wear?
6. What happens when Malachai stops at the ambush?
7. What kind of illness in town worries Dan and who seems to have it?
8. How do Dan and Randy figure out where the illness is coming from?
9. What has happened to the electrical service at Ft. Repose?
10. What has Peyton found in the attic and what does Randy say to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dan briefs Randy on the beating incident so he can make plans to take action. His earlier observation that dogs can become wolves is indicative of the change of heart Randy has in the wake of Dan's beating. The highwaymen are a threat to the River Road enclave and the community as a whole. Randy calmly says he will kill them.
1. How does this statement show a change in Randy's attitude towards life? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think "law of the jungle" will always prevail in this type of situation? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Randy dislikes violence and guns but draws his pistol to maintain order and get enough volunteers to bury Porky with his radioactive jewelry. The next change of circumstance alerts him to a lack of authority in Fort Repose.
1. Why do you think people need authority or government in order to behave properly? Use examples from the book and/or your life to support your answer.
2. Do you think from what you know of humans, there will ever be a time a large group of people living together in the same area would not need a form of universal governing? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Civilization retreats a hundred years in Fort Repose on The Day.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. What do you think would happen in the United States in the present if all electrical power was permanently lost?
3. Do you think the loss of government and electrical power would cause some people to act better and some to behave worse than normal? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,276 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)