|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Dan when he tries to keep his medical bag?
2. What does Randy do with the highwayman who was taken prisoner?
3. What does the Acting President announce on the radio?
4. On what day do Lib and Randy marry?
5. What two essential services were lost from the power failure?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Dan using for antiseptic and for anesthetic?
2. How does Dan keep his car going and the Admiral's radio working?
3. How do they take care of Porky Logan's body?
4. Who asks Randy for permission to make corn whiskey and what does he need?
5. What happens when Malachai stops at the ambush?
6. What happens to the frozen food at Randy's and what do they decide to do about it?
7. What does Randy see when the highwaymen ambush him and what does he do?
8. What happens at Dan's office?
9. What happens to Ben the night Dan is robbed?
10. What are some of the things Randy discovers a few months after the Day, what does he miss and how does he feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alice becomes a learning resource for the community and helps Dan practice hypnosis for anesthesia. When old methods don't work or are not available, new methods for doing essential tasks must be found.
1. Do you think some interesting inventions might come out of this tragedy? Why or why not?
2. What do you think are the most important needs to survive in a world with no medical supplies or electricity? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 1 it may seem that Randy is a developing alcoholic but he says as long as he just enjoys but doesn't crave, he's okay.
1. Do you think people can't be alcoholics if they don't think they are? Why or why not?
2. What do you think are the symptoms of alcoholism?
3. Do you think if someone has a drink in the morning that makes him/her an alcoholic? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
They take one prisoner to hang the next day in town. They leave three dead highwaymen to rot on the road as a silent witness that crime in Fort Repose won't pay.
1. Justice has been changed by "The Day." No trials, appeals, etc. just martial law and a swift hanging. Do you think this is good or bad? Why or why not?
2. Why do you think Randy wanted to hang the highwayman instead of just shooting him out on the road?
3. If you had the responsibility that Randy has how would you have handled the problem of highwaymen? Use several examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,172 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)