|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Russians launch at the beginning of the book?
(a) a Sputnik spy satellite
(c) a space shuttle
(d) a research robot bound for Mars
2. Who kills himself the day the bombs are dropped?
(b) Edgar Quisenberry
(c) Dan Dunn
(d) Jerry Kling
3. Where does Randy see lines of cars as he drives into town?
(a) at the gas station
(b) at the post office
(c) at the library
(d) at the police station
4. How does Helen feel when she leaves Mark?
(b) like a bad woman
(d) like a deserter
5. What does Mark tell Randy about his family?
(a) how they are doing
(b) their social security numbers
(c) their birthdays
(d) when they are arriving from Omaha
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Randy?
2. What does the government of the United States declare on the radio?
3. What does Mark propose to General Hawker at five in the morning?
4. What does Helen ask Randy about Offutt Field?
5. What does Randy tell Edgar that Mark said about money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of illness in town worries Dan and who seems to have it?
2. What happens with Dan and Helen when November arrives?
3. What does "the Day" designate and how important is it to the people of Ft. Repose?
4. What happens in the "Hole" when General Hawker returns and talks with Mark?
5. What do the residents begin seeing in the sky in November and what are they doing?
6. What does Edgar Quisenberry do and how does he feel about it?
7. In what shape do they find Dan and what happened to him?
8. What happens to the frozen food at Randy's and what do they decide to do about it?
9. How does Helen feel about leaving Mark and what is his answer and why does he say it?
10. What does the announcement from the Acting Chief Executive tell the people of Ft. Repose?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)