|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Moose feel when he wakes up in his clothes the first night in his new home?
2. How old is Moose at the beginning of the book?
3. Why is Natalie not allowed to stay at the school?
4. What is Mother having her hair done for?
5. What is special about Annie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Moose hope to find outside of where the convicts play ball?
2. How does Moose do in his first baseball game with his new schoolmates?
3. What has Mother done to try and help Natalie?
4. Why does Natalie have to come home from school?
5. What does Moose want to talk about while playing catch with his father, and how does his father react?
6. What warning does the warden give Moose in their meeting?
7. What embarrasses Moose on his first day of school?
8. What does Piper do when she first meets Moose?
9. What frustrates Moose on his first morning in his new home, and why?
10. What is Alcatraz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Moose and Scout both have similar relationships with their parents, but there are some notable differences. Please compare and contrast these relationships, and explain how they affected the other characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)