|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Wole's opinion of snake meat?
2. Why does Paa Adatan feel he is the victim of racism?
3. What does Wole consider his "sanctuary" in Chapter 9 while staying in Isara?
4. How does Wild Christian respond to the mob violence in Chapter 14?
5. What is Father's religion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the lashing of the boy by Wee-Wee in Chapter 12.
2. What happens when Beere returns from England?
3. How does Sorowanke anger the peddlers of Dayisi's Walk? How is the conflict resolved?
4. Describe the process of Sorowanke finding and creating a home in Chapter 10.
5. What opinion about shoes is expressed in Chapter 15?
6. Describe the "rite of manhood" Wole endures at the end of Chapter 9.
7. What does Essay make Wole promise in Chapter 11? How does Wole respond to this request?
8. What words of caution does Father have for Wole in Chapter 9, in regards to secondary education?
9. What problems exist in Wole's community? What are the social issues of the day?
10. What is Wole's first experience with Daodu? What is the outcome?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the nature of Wole's relationship to his community? How close are members of the community to one another? Can it be said the community is tribal? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
British colonial rule is a rarely mentioned but important subtext of Ake. Discuss how colonial rule affects the people of Egbaland, and use examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
From Wild Christian to Canon to Log-Splitter to Father, who is in fact, Wole's grandfather, there are several unusual names throughout Ake. What might these unusual naming conventions tell us about Wole's culture?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)