|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is taught at Wild Christian's women's group?
2. In Chapter 9, how does Broda Pupa get a snake out of a tree?
3. Odemo is the chief of which town?
4. What is Father's religion?
5. What happens at the end of Wee-Wee's lashing of a boy in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Wole's first experience with Daodu? What is the outcome?
2. Per Chapter 10, describe what Wole and Edun would do every Sunday morning prior to choir practice.
3. How does Daodu run his school?
4. Overall, what is Wole's view about getting an education?
5. What opinion about shoes is expressed in Chapter 15?
6. What sage advice does Broda Pupa give Wole in Chapter 9? How is Wole later able to use that advice to his advantage?
7. Describe Wild Christian's women's group. Who are its members? What do they discuss?
8. What does Essay make Wole promise in Chapter 11? How does Wole respond to this request?
9. Describe the process of Sorowanke finding and creating a home in Chapter 10.
10. What are two examples of racist views that are brought to light in Chapter 15 by members of Wole's community?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does World War II factor in to the text? Cite specific examples. What kind of mood is created by having this historical backdrop? Does Wole seem affected by the war? Is the reader affected by this knowledge?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the religious beliefs Wole grew up around. How much was borrowed from tribal beliefs, and how much from Christianity? Cite three examples of religious beliefs in the text, and explain them in the context of the overall mix of beliefs in Egbaland.
Essay Topic 3
Particular attention is paid to certain "coming of age" moments, such as when Wole's Jonah rock loses its power, or when his baby sister dies. Reflect on those two events. What is learned by Wole? What is lost to him after these moments? What has he gained?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)