|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What best describes Kemberi's oratorical style?
2. On a trip to Broda Pupa's farm, which is NOT one of the activities Wole participates in?
3. Why can't Wole attend Government College when he is initially accepted?
4. What is the name of Wole's grammar school?
5. Why does Wole receive lashings in Chapter 12?
Essay Topic 1
From Wild Christian to Canon to Log-Splitter to Father, who is in fact, Wole's grandfather, there are several unusual names throughout Ake. What might these unusual naming conventions tell us about Wole's culture?
Essay Topic 2
Wole describes several misconceptions he accumulates as a child. Cite three examples of Wole's childish misconceptions of things or events. Why might Wole be sharing these misconceptions with us? What do the frequency of misconceptions tell us about Wole's childhood, and the act of being a child in general?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Wole's family structure. Is it tight-knit and nuclear, or more loose-knit and extended? How is Wole influenced by his father? His mother? Where is the line drawn between family and stranger?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)