|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who lives in BishopsCourt?
2. In Chapter 7, how does Wole regard Mrs. Odufuwa?
3. Why does Essay punish a teacher at school in Chapter 5?
4. Why does Wild Christian scold Wole during his birthday party in Chapter 2?
5. What does Wole believe about the pomegranate fruit in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the family's reaction when Wole returns home from his journey through Ake in Chapter 3.
2. How does Wole manage to wreck a rose bush at the end of Chapter 5? What is the consequence of his action?
3. How does Wole react when he is jealous of sister Tinu's attending school in Chapter 2?
4. What method of child punishment does Wole describe in Chapter 6?
5. Describe the solution accomplished for ridding Uncle Sanya of his oro spirit?
6. Describe the incident in which Paa Adatan confronts Bote troops.
7. How does Wole describe the difference in odors between Essay's room and Wild Christian's room?
8. Why, at the end of Chapter 8, is Wole's younger brother Dipo renamed Femi?
9. Who is "You-Mean-Mayself"? How did he acquire that nickname?
10. What is unusual about Bukola? What does Wole think about her behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Wole's relationship with Wild Christian's women's group. How socially aware is Wole? How socially aware is the book itself? Is Wole trying to make a social statement, or is he remaining impassioned and objective?
Essay Topic 2
What is Wole's view toward A) modernization, and b) Westernization. How does he contrast modern living with the world of his childhood? Use examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
What is the nature of Wole's relationship to his community? How close are members of the community to one another? Can it be said the community is tribal? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)