|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Paa Adatan's stated enemy?
2. What is the phrase Wole uses to describe the odor in Essay's room?
3. Why does Wild Christian scold Wole during his birthday party in Chapter 2?
4. How do the majority of Ake's residents react to the new radio?
5. In Chapter 8, how does Wild Christian react to the coming of the Bote troops?
Short Essay Questions
1. What dangerous accident does Wole cause in Chapter 5 while looking for presents? What is Wole's reaction?
2. Describe the episode in which a teacher commits a sin against Essay's rose bush in Chapter 5.
3. Describe Chapter 1's account of who Essay is.
4. What bad habit does Wole admit to in Chapter 4, and how is he cured of it?
5. What two new inventions is Wole exposed to at the top of Chapter 8?
6. What method of child punishment does Wole describe in Chapter 6?
7. Who is "You-Mean-Mayself"? How did he acquire that nickname?
8. Describe the "see-saw" accident that Wole gets into with Osiki.
9. How is Wild Christian and Uncle Sanya's trouble with a ghommid resolved?
10. What is the origin of the Jonah rock?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Particular attention is paid to certain "coming of age" moments, such as when Wole's Jonah rock loses its power, or when his baby sister dies. Reflect on those two events. What is learned by Wole? What is lost to him after these moments? What has he gained?
Essay Topic 2
What is the "moral" to the story of Sorowanke? Why does Wole choose to tell this story? What can the reader take away from Sorowanke and her treatment at the hands of the citizens?
Essay Topic 3
What is Wole's view on education? What can be learned in school that cannot be learned in everyday life, and vice versa? What or who influences Wole's views on education?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)