Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Wole to experience a bad eye accident in Chapter 2?
2. Who is "Tinu?"
3. What does Bukola do to get her way with her father?
4. What name does Mrs. Odufuwa give Wole?
5. What is an "abiku?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is "You-Mean-Mayself"? How did he acquire that nickname?
2. How does Daodu run his school?
3. Describe the changes that happen in the household when the new baby is on its way in Chapter 7.
4. Explain the origin of the nickname "Lagilagi." What happens when the family doubts Wole is worthy of such a nickname?
5. How does Wole deal with the prospect of Essay dying in Chapter 11? How does Essay himself deal with the prospect?
6. Describe the solution accomplished for ridding Uncle Sanya of his oro spirit?
7. What is the nature of the philosophical debate Wole has with Essay in Chapter 4?
8. Describe the general features of the compound in which Wole lives mentioned in Chapter 1.
9. How does Wole manage to wreck a rose bush at the end of Chapter 5? What is the consequence of his action?
10. What method of child punishment does Wole describe in Chapter 6?
Punishment, especially the punishment of children, is a common image in Ake. Cite three examples of punishment in the text. How is punished viewed, by both the punisher and the punished? Is it an effective deterrent to mischief?
Racism is a somewhat common theme in the text, especially the friction between white colonialists and the native Africans. How much of the racist sentiments and beliefs expressed in the text are justified, and how much are characterized as excessive or ridiculous? What might Wole himself say about the presence of racism, and its effect on his life?
What is the nature of Wole's relationship to his community? How close are members of the community to one another? Can it be said the community is tribal? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)