|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who or what is "Jonah"?
2. What is an "oro"?
3. Who or what is emi esu?
4. How does Wole get his first look at the world outside the parsonage's walls in Chapter 3?
5. Who is the only member of Wole's extended family who is angry for him wandering off in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the legend that Wole recounts in which Wild Christian and Uncle Sanya get in trouble with a ghommid.
2. What problems exist in Wole's community? What are the social issues of the day?
3. How does the Alake respond to the women's march?
4. What opinion does Wole express in Chapter 10 about Western influences and modern living?
5. Describe the family's reaction when Wole returns home from his journey through Ake in Chapter 3.
6. Describe the incident in which Paa Adatan confronts Bote troops.
7. Describe the incident in which Wole is hurt by a scythe at the end of Chapter 2.
8. Why, at the end of Chapter 8, is Wole's younger brother Dipo renamed Femi?
9. How does Wole react when he is jealous of sister Tinu's attending school in Chapter 2?
10. What is the nature of the philosophical debate Wole has with Essay in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does World War II factor in to the text? Cite specific examples. What kind of mood is created by having this historical backdrop? Does Wole seem affected by the war? Is the reader affected by this knowledge?
Essay Topic 2
Mr. B, "You-Mean-Mayself," and Uncle Dipo are three visitors to Wole's household. Using these three men as an example, what does Wole make of visitors? How does he regard them? Are they opportunities for strangeness and humor, or do they represent something more?
Essay Topic 3
Wole seems to endure a lot of injuries, whether it's getting his eye cut with a scythe or catapulting off a see-saw. What might be the significance of physical injuries with respect to Wole's maturation? Does Wole learn anything as a result of his injuries?
This section contains 1,834 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)