Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Wole to experience a bad eye accident in Chapter 2?
2. Who is "Tinu?"
3. What does Bukola do to get her way with her father?
4. What name does Mrs. Odufuwa give Wole?
5. What is an "abiku?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is "You-Mean-Mayself"? How did he acquire that nickname?
2. How does Daodu run his school?
3. Describe the changes that happen in the household when the new baby is on its way in Chapter 7.
4. Explain the origin of the nickname "Lagilagi." What happens when the family doubts Wole is worthy of such a nickname?
5. How does Wole deal with the prospect of Essay dying in Chapter 11? How does Essay himself deal with the prospect?
6. Describe the solution accomplished for ridding Uncle Sanya of his oro spirit?
7. What is the nature of the philosophical debate Wole has with Essay in Chapter 4?
8. Describe the general features of the compound in which Wole lives mentioned in Chapter 1.
9. How does Wole manage to wreck a rose bush at the end of Chapter 5? What is the consequence of his action?
10. What method of child punishment does Wole describe in Chapter 6?
Essay Topic 1
Wole describes several misconceptions he accumulates as a child. Cite three examples of Wole's childish misconceptions of things or events. Why might Wole be sharing these misconceptions with us? What do the frequency of misconceptions tell us about Wole's childhood, and the act of being a child in general?
Essay Topic 2
What is the nature of Wole's relationship to his community? How close are members of the community to one another? Can it be said the community is tribal? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Particular attention is paid to certain "coming of age" moments, such as when Wole's Jonah rock loses its power, or when his baby sister dies. Reflect on those two events. What is learned by Wole? What is lost to him after these moments? What has he gained?
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)