|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What subject dominates the radio waves in Chapter 8?
2. What is the phrase Wole uses to describe the odor in Essay's room?
3. At the end of Chapter 8, younger brother Dipo is given what new name?
4. When Wole sleeps with the other children in Chapter 6, what kind of nightmare does he have?
5. What do people call Wole's grandfather?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Chapter 1's account of who Essay is.
2. What trouble does You-Mean-Mayself cause the household? How is he finally removed from the house?
3. What two new inventions is Wole exposed to at the top of Chapter 8?
4. Describe the legend that Wole recounts in which Wild Christian and Uncle Sanya get in trouble with a ghommid.
5. Who is Paa Adatan? Describe him.
6. What method of child punishment does Wole describe in Chapter 6?
7. How does Wole manage to wreck a rose bush at the end of Chapter 5? What is the consequence of his action?
8. Why, at the end of Chapter 8, is Wole's younger brother Dipo renamed Femi?
9. Describe the general features of the compound in which Wole lives mentioned in Chapter 1.
10. What dangerous accident does Wole cause in Chapter 5 while looking for presents? What is Wole's reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
British colonial rule is a rarely mentioned but important subtext of Ake. Discuss how colonial rule affects the people of Egbaland, and use examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
How might the Wole of today reflect on the spiritual beliefs of the older generation, which might be considered quaint or primitive? How might the waning of traditional spiritual beliefs have affected his culture? What was valuable about traditional spiritual beliefs?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Wole's family structure. Is it tight-knit and nuclear, or more loose-knit and extended? How is Wole influenced by his father? His mother? Where is the line drawn between family and stranger?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)