|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Essay get his name?
2. What is the occupation of the first white person Wole ever sees in Chapter 3?
3. What is NOT one of the changes Wole notices prior to his baby sister's birth?
4. What does "Mr. B" do for a living?
5. What is Wole's memorable experience the first time he ventures outside the parsonage's walls in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Wole manage to wreck a rose bush at the end of Chapter 5? What is the consequence of his action?
2. Describe the solution accomplished for ridding Uncle Sanya of his oro spirit?
3. Who is Paa Adatan? Describe him.
4. Describe the family's reaction when Wole returns home from his journey through Ake in Chapter 3.
5. Describe Wole's gradual process of discovering the town around the compound at the beginning of Chapter 3.
6. What bad habit does Wole admit to in Chapter 4, and how is he cured of it?
7. What trouble does You-Mean-Mayself cause the household? How is he finally removed from the house?
8. Describe Chapter 1's account of who Essay is.
9. What two new inventions is Wole exposed to at the top of Chapter 8?
10. Describe what happens at the end of Chapter 6, when Wild Christian catches Wole raiding the pantry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the nature of Wole's relationship to his community? How close are members of the community to one another? Can it be said the community is tribal? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How might the Wole of today reflect on the spiritual beliefs of the older generation, which might be considered quaint or primitive? How might the waning of traditional spiritual beliefs have affected his culture? What was valuable about traditional spiritual beliefs?
Essay Topic 3
Punishment, especially the punishment of children, is a common image in Ake. Cite three examples of punishment in the text. How is punished viewed, by both the punisher and the punished? Is it an effective deterrent to mischief?
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)