|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Paa Adatan's conflict with troops in Chapter 8, which term best describes his emotional state?
2. Why is Wole mad at his Sunday School teacher at the beginning of Chapter 5?
3. What does Bukola do to get her way with her father?
4. In Chapter 7, what is Wole's baby sister dressed in when she is buried?
5. What is the name of Wole's baby sister in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens at the end of Chapter 6, when Wild Christian catches Wole raiding the pantry?
2. What is the origin of the Jonah rock?
3. What is Wole's first experience with Daodu? What is the outcome?
4. What two new inventions is Wole exposed to at the top of Chapter 8?
5. Describe the "rite of manhood" Wole endures at the end of Chapter 9.
6. What are two examples of racist views that are brought to light in Chapter 15 by members of Wole's community?
7. What is the general dynamic between Wole, Essay, and Wild Christian? What is the nature of their relationship?
8. What does Essay make Wole promise in Chapter 11? How does Wole respond to this request?
9. Describe the lashing of the boy by Wee-Wee in Chapter 12.
10. Describe the episode in which a teacher commits a sin against Essay's rose bush in Chapter 5.
Essay Topic 1
What is Wole's view toward A) modernization, and b) Westernization. How does he contrast modern living with the world of his childhood? Use examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
What is Wole's view on education? What can be learned in school that cannot be learned in everyday life, and vice versa? What or who influences Wole's views on education?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Wole's family structure. Is it tight-knit and nuclear, or more loose-knit and extended? How is Wole influenced by his father? His mother? Where is the line drawn between family and stranger?
This section contains 1,730 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)