|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Essay and Christian accuse the maid of in Chapter 7?
2. What was contained in Father's "mystery parcels" in Chapter 5?
3. What is NOT one of the changes Wole notices prior to his baby sister's birth?
4. What is the name of Wole's great uncle?
5. What is the teacher's reaction to young Wole coming to school uninvited at the beginning of Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the philosophical debate Wole has with Essay in Chapter 4?
2. Describe the solution accomplished for ridding Uncle Sanya of his oro spirit?
3. Describe three things Wole sees during his journey through Ake in Chapter 3.
4. Explain the origin of the nickname "Lagilagi." What happens when the family doubts Wole is worthy of such a nickname?
5. Describe what happens at the end of Chapter 6, when Wild Christian catches Wole raiding the pantry?
6. What is unusual about Bukola? What does Wole think about her behavior?
7. Describe the legend that Wole recounts in which Wild Christian and Uncle Sanya get in trouble with a ghommid.
8. Describe the "see-saw" accident that Wole gets into with Osiki.
9. Describe the family's reaction when Wole returns home from his journey through Ake in Chapter 3.
10. Why, at the end of Chapter 8, is Wole's younger brother Dipo renamed Femi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Racism is a somewhat common theme in the text, especially the friction between white colonialists and the native Africans. How much of the racist sentiments and beliefs expressed in the text are justified, and how much are characterized as excessive or ridiculous? What might Wole himself say about the presence of racism, and its effect on his life?
Essay Topic 2
Wole seems to endure a lot of injuries, whether it's getting his eye cut with a scythe or catapulting off a see-saw. What might be the significance of physical injuries with respect to Wole's maturation? Does Wole learn anything as a result of his injuries?
Essay Topic 3
What is the nature of Wole's relationship to his community? How close are members of the community to one another? Can it be said the community is tribal? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,156 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)