|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What accident does Wole suffer on his birthday in Chapter 2?
2. In Chapter 1, how is Uncle Sanya cured of his spirit possession?
3. In Chapter 7, what is Wole's baby sister dressed in when she is buried?
4. Who defeats Paa Adatan in Chapter 8?
5. What "job" is Wole given at the end of Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Beere returns from England?
2. What opinion does Wole express in Chapter 10 about Western influences and modern living?
3. Describe the solution accomplished for ridding Uncle Sanya of his oro spirit?
4. Describe the incident in which Paa Adatan confronts Bote troops.
5. How does Wole describe the difference in odors between Essay's room and Wild Christian's room?
6. Describe the legend that Wole recounts in which Wild Christian and Uncle Sanya get in trouble with a ghommid.
7. Describe the lashing of the boy by Wee-Wee in Chapter 12.
8. Describe the incident in which Wole is hurt by a scythe at the end of Chapter 2.
9. Why, at the end of Chapter 8, is Wole's younger brother Dipo renamed Femi?
10. Explain the origin of the nickname "Lagilagi." What happens when the family doubts Wole is worthy of such a nickname?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 1, Wole speaks of his immediate family and home life. By the end of the book, Wole speaks of much wider issues at the community and national levels. Describe this progression. Is this a conscious choice on the part of the author, or just a natural byproduct of biography? How does this narrative "widening" reflect upon Wole's own maturation?
Essay Topic 2
Particular attention is paid to certain "coming of age" moments, such as when Wole's Jonah rock loses its power, or when his baby sister dies. Reflect on those two events. What is learned by Wole? What is lost to him after these moments? What has he gained?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Wole's family structure. Is it tight-knit and nuclear, or more loose-knit and extended? How is Wole influenced by his father? His mother? Where is the line drawn between family and stranger?
This section contains 1,921 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)