Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Wole to experience a bad eye accident in Chapter 2?
2. Who is "Tinu?"
3. What does Bukola do to get her way with her father?
4. What name does Mrs. Odufuwa give Wole?
5. What is an "abiku?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is "You-Mean-Mayself"? How did he acquire that nickname?
2. How does Daodu run his school?
3. Describe the changes that happen in the household when the new baby is on its way in Chapter 7.
4. Explain the origin of the nickname "Lagilagi." What happens when the family doubts Wole is worthy of such a nickname?
5. How does Wole deal with the prospect of Essay dying in Chapter 11? How does Essay himself deal with the prospect?
6. Describe the solution accomplished for ridding Uncle Sanya of his oro spirit?
7. What is the nature of the philosophical debate Wole has with Essay in Chapter 4?
8. Describe the general features of the compound in which Wole lives mentioned in Chapter 1.
9. How does Wole manage to wreck a rose bush at the end of Chapter 5? What is the consequence of his action?
10. What method of child punishment does Wole describe in Chapter 6?
Essay Topic 1
What is Wole's view toward A) modernization, and b) Westernization. How does he contrast modern living with the world of his childhood? Use examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Wole seems to endure a lot of injuries, whether it's getting his eye cut with a scythe or catapulting off a see-saw. What might be the significance of physical injuries with respect to Wole's maturation? Does Wole learn anything as a result of his injuries?
Essay Topic 3
What is the "moral" to the story of Sorowanke? Why does Wole choose to tell this story? What can the reader take away from Sorowanke and her treatment at the hands of the citizens?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)