|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what does Wole believe about St. Peter?
2. What causes Wole to experience a bad eye accident in Chapter 2?
3. What trouble does You-Mean-Mayself cause Essay and the household?
4. What are egungun?
5. How might Wild Christian best be characterized?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Wole react when he is jealous of sister Tinu's attending school in Chapter 2?
2. What is the origin of the Jonah rock?
3. Describe the episode in which a teacher commits a sin against Essay's rose bush in Chapter 5.
4. Describe Chapter 1's account of who Essay is.
5. Explain the origin of the nickname "Lagilagi." What happens when the family doubts Wole is worthy of such a nickname?
6. What dangerous accident does Wole cause in Chapter 5 while looking for presents? What is Wole's reaction?
7. Describe the "see-saw" accident that Wole gets into with Osiki.
8. Describe the incident in which Wole is hurt by a scythe at the end of Chapter 2.
9. How is Wild Christian and Uncle Sanya's trouble with a ghommid resolved?
10. Describe the legend that Wole recounts in which Wild Christian and Uncle Sanya get in trouble with a ghommid.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At certain points--as when Wole attends school before he is of age--Wole seems eager to mature, and at other times--such as when he is deemed too old to sleep in Essay's room--Wole seems to stubbornly refuse to embrace growth. How does Wole view his own maturation? Is maturing something to be feared, or looked forward to? Is Wole's maturation a smooth progression, or does it proceed with stops and starts?
Essay Topic 2
What is Wole's view on education? What can be learned in school that cannot be learned in everyday life, and vice versa? What or who influences Wole's views on education?
Essay Topic 3
Particular attention is paid to certain "coming of age" moments, such as when Wole's Jonah rock loses its power, or when his baby sister dies. Reflect on those two events. What is learned by Wole? What is lost to him after these moments? What has he gained?
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)