|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is NOT one of the changes Wole notices prior to his baby sister's birth?
2. Who does Wole initially believe the drunken soldier in Chapter 8 to be?
3. When Wole sleeps with the other children in Chapter 6, what kind of nightmare does he have?
4. What is an "abiku?"
5. What do people call Wole's grandfather?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the origin of the Jonah rock?
2. Describe the "see-saw" accident that Wole gets into with Osiki.
3. Describe the death of Wole's baby sister in Chapter 7. How does Wole react to the death?
4. Describe the incident in which Wole is hurt by a scythe at the end of Chapter 2.
5. What trouble does You-Mean-Mayself cause the household? How is he finally removed from the house?
6. Who is Paa Adatan? Describe him.
7. Why, at the end of Chapter 8, is Wole's younger brother Dipo renamed Femi?
8. Describe the episode in which a teacher commits a sin against Essay's rose bush in Chapter 5.
9. Describe the legend that Wole recounts in which Wild Christian and Uncle Sanya get in trouble with a ghommid.
10. Describe Chapter 1's account of who Essay is.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the nature of Wole's relationship to his community? How close are members of the community to one another? Can it be said the community is tribal? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the religious beliefs Wole grew up around. How much was borrowed from tribal beliefs, and how much from Christianity? Cite three examples of religious beliefs in the text, and explain them in the context of the overall mix of beliefs in Egbaland.
Essay Topic 3
What is the "moral" to the story of Sorowanke? Why does Wole choose to tell this story? What can the reader take away from Sorowanke and her treatment at the hands of the citizens?
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)