|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the teacher's reaction to young Wole coming to school uninvited at the beginning of Chapter 2?
2. Why does Wole destroy the family's roses at the end of Chapter 5?
3. What "job" is Wole given at the end of Chapter 5?
4. What do people call Wole's grandfather?
5. Which is NOT one of the things a punished child is subject to, according to Wole in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What bad habit does Wole admit to in Chapter 4, and how is he cured of it?
2. Describe what happens at the end of Chapter 6, when Wild Christian catches Wole raiding the pantry?
3. What two new inventions is Wole exposed to at the top of Chapter 8?
4. Who is "You-Mean-Mayself"? How did he acquire that nickname?
5. How does Wole describe the difference in odors between Essay's room and Wild Christian's room?
6. How does Wole manage to wreck a rose bush at the end of Chapter 5? What is the consequence of his action?
7. Describe Chapter 1's account of who Essay is.
8. Describe the "see-saw" accident that Wole gets into with Osiki.
9. How does Wole react when he is jealous of sister Tinu's attending school in Chapter 2?
10. What is the origin of the Jonah rock?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wole seems to endure a lot of injuries, whether it's getting his eye cut with a scythe or catapulting off a see-saw. What might be the significance of physical injuries with respect to Wole's maturation? Does Wole learn anything as a result of his injuries?
Essay Topic 2
What is the "moral" to the story of Sorowanke? Why does Wole choose to tell this story? What can the reader take away from Sorowanke and her treatment at the hands of the citizens?
Essay Topic 3
From Wild Christian to Canon to Log-Splitter to Father, who is in fact, Wole's grandfather, there are several unusual names throughout Ake. What might these unusual naming conventions tell us about Wole's culture?
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)