|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What town is Essay from, originally?
(b) Cape Town.
2. What secret promise does Beere make with Wole at the end of the book?
(a) Beere will continue to give Wole news about the protest movement.
(b) Beere will send Wole additional money.
(c) Beere will send Wole packages of his favorite food -- pounded yams.
(d) Beere will get Wole shoes.
3. What is unusual about the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) Wole begins speaking directly to an unnamed friend.
(b) Wole writes from the perspective of Wild Christian.
(c) Wole speaks in rhyme.
(d) Wole breaks from his childhood narrative to speak about the present-day.
4. What position does the Alake have?
(a) The Alake is the mayor of Ake.
(b) The Alake is the president of Nigeria.
(c) The Alake is the local governor.
(d) The Alake is principal of the grammar school.
5. How is Beere received when she returns from England?
(a) She is given an award from the local governor.
(b) She is reviled, and fruit is thrown at her.
(c) The return happens without incident.
(d) She is given a hero's welcome.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the occupation of Broda Pupa?
2. Why does Essay hire a photographer in Chapter 11?
3. What is one of the concerns Daodu voices about the Government College?
4. What is wrong with the man whom Wole and Broda Pupa encounter in Chapter 9 upon returning from the farm?
5. In Chapter 14, how does Wild Christian come to the aid of a local chief?
Short Essay Questions
1. Generally speaking, how is the philosophy in Wole's community about punishing children?
2. Overall, what is Wole's view about getting an education?
3. How does Sorowanke anger the peddlers of Dayisi's Walk? How is the conflict resolved?
4. Describe the events leading up to the women's group decision to march on the Alake.
5. What is the highlight of Wole's time on the farm with Broda Pupa in Chapter 9?
6. How does Daodu run his school?
7. Describe Wild Christian's women's group. Who are its members? What do they discuss?
8. What is the nature of the controversy that arises from Beere's trip to England? How does the women's group respond?
9. What does Essay make Wole promise in Chapter 11? How does Wole respond to this request?
10. What is Wole's first experience with Daodu? What is the outcome?
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)