|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the women do to symbolically strip the local chiefs of their power?
(a) They break their walking staffs.
(b) They knock over a totem pole.
(c) They strip the chiefs of their scarves.
(d) They burn paper money issued by the chiefs.
2. In Chapter 14, what unites the unions being created across Africa?
(a) A call for higher education standards.
(b) A central leadership group called the African Committee.
(c) All the unions are created and run by women.
(d) A call for the end to the white man's rule.
3. Why does Beere travel to England in Chapter 13?
(a) Because a friend in need is in London.
(b) To advocate for the country's needs.
(c) To escape arrest.
(d) To see Big Ben and other landmarks.
4. According to Chapter 10, how might Wole characterize his life as a child?
(a) Complicated and frenetic.
(c) Simple and good.
(d) Tainted by Western influence.
5. What contradiction does Wole see in Daodu?
(a) A man who boasts about his intelligence, but always displays stupidity.
(b) A man who preaches justice but always plays favorites.
(c) A huge man who nonetheless possesses a thin, soft voice.
(d) An educated man who nonetheless believes in corporal punishment.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Wole disappointed when he reaches Isara in Chapter 9?
2. Why does Paa Adatan feel he is the victim of racism?
3. What complaint does Wole make at the beginning of Chapter 10?
4. What town is Essay from, originally?
5. What secret promise does Beere make with Wole at the end of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Essay make Wole promise in Chapter 11? How does Wole respond to this request?
2. What expectation does Wole have in Chapter 9 for Isara? What is the reality of Isara?
3. Overall, what is Wole's view about getting an education?
4. Describe the lashing of the boy by Wee-Wee in Chapter 12.
5. What is the highlight of Wole's time on the farm with Broda Pupa in Chapter 9?
6. At the beginning of Chapter 9, what apparent blasphemy does Wole commit in Odemo's palace?
7. What opinion does Wole express in Chapter 10 about Western influences and modern living?
8. How does Wild Christian react to the chaos and violence that erupts at the Alake's compound?
9. Per Chapter 10, describe what Wole and Edun would do every Sunday morning prior to choir practice.
10. Describe the events that lead up to the violence at the Alake's compound.
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)