|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What unfortunate event happens during the first week of Wole's grammar school education?
(a) Several school supplies are stolen by a bully.
(b) He gets a detention for tardiness.
(c) His baby sister dies.
(d) He is cut with a scythe.
2. In Chapter 12, why does Wee-Wee punish a boy with several dozen lashings?
(a) The boy caused unnecessary alarm by claiming there was a fire.
(b) The boy stole Wole's school supplies.
(c) The boy got a girl pregnant.
(d) The boy hit a teacher.
3. What is Wole's opinion of snake meat?
(a) It is a staple of his diet, and he has no strong opinion about it.
(b) He enjoys the taste.
(c) He is disgusted by it, even though his family loves it.
(d) He is never able to try it.
4. Who interrupts the festival given to Beere when she returns from England?
(a) Paa Adatan.
(b) An orphan boy.
(c) A naked woman.
5. Who does the Alake summon to his residence in response to the women's protest?
(a) The British military.
(c) His spiritual adviser.
(d) Local chiefs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Odemo is the chief of which town?
2. What does Father warn Wole about in Chapter 9 about grammar school?
3. What contradiction does Wole see in Daodu?
4. As expressed in Chapter 15, what school rule does Daodu believe is racist?
5. What rite of manhood does Wole endure at the end of Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the events that lead up to the violence at the Alake's compound.
2. What opinion does Wole express in Chapter 10 about Western influences and modern living?
3. Generally speaking, how is the philosophy in Wole's community about punishing children?
4. How does Sorowanke anger the peddlers of Dayisi's Walk? How is the conflict resolved?
5. What happens when Beere returns from England?
6. What is the nature of the controversy that arises from Beere's trip to England? How does the women's group respond?
7. What is the general dynamic between Wole, Essay, and Wild Christian? What is the nature of their relationship?
8. Describe the tax controversy that arises in Chapter 13, and how the women's group addresses it.
9. Describe the process of Sorowanke finding and creating a home in Chapter 10.
10. At the beginning of Chapter 9, what apparent blasphemy does Wole commit in Odemo's palace?
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)