|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What position does the Alake have?
(a) The Alake is the mayor of Ake.
(b) The Alake is the president of Nigeria.
(c) The Alake is principal of the grammar school.
(d) The Alake is the local governor.
2. What inspires Kemberi to give a speech in Chapter 13?
(a) Women were forced to pay exorbitant taxes on goods.
(b) A young orphan died from starvation.
(c) A mudslide had caused sanitation problems in the town.
(d) A woman was raped by a policeman.
3. Who does the Alake summon to his residence in response to the women's protest?
(a) The British military.
(b) His spiritual adviser.
(c) Local chiefs.
4. How does Wild Christian respond to the mob violence in Chapter 14?
(a) Wild Christian is among the most violent instigators in the mob.
(b) Wild Christian doesn't believe violence is the way, and she refuses to participate.
(c) Wild Christian tries to strangle the Alake.
(d) Wild Christian betrays the women's group to the local police.
5. What is Wole's reaction when he sees his first white man?
(a) He thinks his vision has been damaged.
(b) He thinks the white man is a god.
(c) He believes the man is a black albino.
(d) He thinks the white man is a tribal spirit.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who interrupts the festival given to Beere when she returns from England?
2. What is unusual about the beginning of Chapter 10?
3. What happens to the naked woman at the beginning of Chapter 14?
4. Why is Wole disappointed when he reaches Isara in Chapter 9?
5. On a trip to Broda Pupa's farm, which is NOT one of the activities Wole participates in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Overall, what is Wole's view about getting an education?
2. What is Wole's first experience with Daodu? What is the outcome?
3. How does Wild Christian react to the chaos and violence that erupts at the Alake's compound?
4. Describe the tax controversy that arises in Chapter 13, and how the women's group addresses it.
5. What happens when Beere returns from England?
6. What opinion does Wole express in Chapter 10 about Western influences and modern living?
7. Per Chapter 10, describe what Wole and Edun would do every Sunday morning prior to choir practice.
8. Describe the "rite of manhood" Wole endures at the end of Chapter 9.
9. What problems exist in Wole's community? What are the social issues of the day?
10. Describe the events that lead up to the violence at the Alake's compound.
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)