|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What issue is NOT discussed at Wild Christian's women's group?
(a) The drought.
(c) Infant mortality.
(d) Civil service.
2. What is Wole's reaction when he sees his first white man?
(a) He thinks his vision has been damaged.
(b) He believes the man is a black albino.
(c) He thinks the white man is a god.
(d) He thinks the white man is a tribal spirit.
3. How is Beere received when she returns from England?
(a) The return happens without incident.
(b) She is reviled, and fruit is thrown at her.
(c) She is given an award from the local governor.
(d) She is given a hero's welcome.
4. Odemo is the chief of which town?
5. Why is Wole disappointed when he reaches Isara in Chapter 9?
(a) Isara is full of rich snobs who look down upon his family.
(b) The town is provincial and unsanitary.
(c) He was promised an elephant statue from a trader, but he never got it.
(d) Wole does not receive any presents from Father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What secret promise does Beere make with Wole at the end of the book?
2. Under what circumstances does Wole join the church choir in Chapter 10?
3. What is the name of Sorowanke's boyfriend?
4. What unfortunate event happens during the first week of Wole's grammar school education?
5. Why can't Wole attend Government College when he is initially accepted?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sorowanke anger the peddlers of Dayisi's Walk? How is the conflict resolved?
2. Describe the events that lead up to the violence at the Alake's compound.
3. Generally speaking, how is the philosophy in Wole's community about punishing children?
4. What problems exist in Wole's community? What are the social issues of the day?
5. What is the nature of the controversy that arises from Beere's trip to England? How does the women's group respond?
6. How does Daodu run his school?
7. How does the Alake respond to the women's march?
8. At the beginning of Chapter 9, what apparent blasphemy does Wole commit in Odemo's palace?
9. What is Wole's first experience with Daodu? What is the outcome?
10. What opinion does Wole express in Chapter 10 about Western influences and modern living?
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)