|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Wole disappointed when he reaches Isara in Chapter 9?
(a) Isara is full of rich snobs who look down upon his family.
(b) The town is provincial and unsanitary.
(c) He was promised an elephant statue from a trader, but he never got it.
(d) Wole does not receive any presents from Father.
2. What happens at the end of Wee-Wee's lashing of a boy in Chapter 12?
(a) Wee-Wee is weak, and by the last lash he is exhausted.
(b) Wee-Wee has second thoughts, and only delivers half of the lashings.
(c) The teachers stop Wee-Wee from doing any more harm to the boy.
(d) The students applause Wee-Wee for his rigorous lashing.
3. What racist view does Beere express in Chapter 15?
(a) Whites are lazy and given to theft.
(b) Whites dropped the A-Bomb on Japan in World War II because they were Asian.
(c) Whites always break promises.
(d) White men sleep with black women to feel superior.
4. How does Wole react to the rite of manhood he endures in Chapter 9?
(a) Wole endures the pain easily, and is congratulated by Father.
(b) Wole nearly dies, and is rushed to the hospital.
(c) It is so painful, Wole sometimes feels as if he is in a dream.
(d) Wole laughs during the process, and Father thinks he is going mad.
5. What is wrong with the man whom Wole and Broda Pupa encounter in Chapter 9 upon returning from the farm?
(a) The man is running from a murderous gang.
(b) The man had been stung countless times by bees.
(c) The man had been murdered, and has a dagger sticking out from his chest.
(d) The man has terrible stomach pains.
Short Answer Questions
1. What form does the protest at the Alake compound eventually take?
2. Why can't Wole attend Government College when he is initially accepted?
3. What is the "last straw" in Sorowanke's fight with local peddlers?
4. At the end of Chapter 7, why does Wild Christian pray for Wole?
5. What is ogiri?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Wild Christian react to the chaos and violence that erupts at the Alake's compound?
2. What is the general dynamic between Wole, Essay, and Wild Christian? What is the nature of their relationship?
3. How does Wole deal with the prospect of Essay dying in Chapter 11? How does Essay himself deal with the prospect?
4. Generally speaking, how is the philosophy in Wole's community about punishing children?
5. Describe the process of Sorowanke finding and creating a home in Chapter 10.
6. What are two examples of racist views that are brought to light in Chapter 15 by members of Wole's community?
7. Per Chapter 10, describe what Wole and Edun would do every Sunday morning prior to choir practice.
8. What opinion does Wole express in Chapter 10 about Western influences and modern living?
9. What is Wole's first experience with Daodu? What is the outcome?
10. Describe the tax controversy that arises in Chapter 13, and how the women's group addresses it.
This section contains 1,206 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)