|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As revealed in the Uncle Sanya story in Chapter 1, which of the following is considered a rare delicacy?
(b) Elephant tusk shavings.
(c) The red mushroom.
(d) Zebra meat.
2. What is the primary demand of the women's group when they organize a protest march?
(a) Better healthcare.
(b) An end to taxation.
(c) A better sewer system.
(d) An end to police brutality.
3. How does the women's protest end?
(a) The women's demands are met.
(b) A woman is killed by police officers, shocking the group and ending the protest.
(c) Several women are arrested, and the protest is forcibly broken up.
(d) In an unsatisfying deadlock.
4. What is tinko?
(a) Tinsel wrapping for gifts.
(b) Lean meat fried to a hard crisp.
(c) Pennies for church tithe.
(d) A small truck used to transport villagers.
5. What does Wole think about the Westernizing of his culture?
(a) He believes Westernization can be the salvation of his people.
(b) He thinks Western influences should be limited to pop culture.
(c) He has fully embraced Western culture.
(d) Western influences are harmful.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unfortunate event happens during the first week of Wole's grammar school education?
2. What best describes how Daodu handles problems in school?
3. What rite of manhood does Wole endure at the end of Chapter 9?
4. In Chapter 14, how does Wild Christian come to the aid of a local chief?
5. What does Father warn Wole about in Chapter 9 about grammar school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What opinion does Wole express in Chapter 10 about Western influences and modern living?
2. Describe the lashing of the boy by Wee-Wee in Chapter 12.
3. Describe the events leading up to the women's group decision to march on the Alake.
4. What happens when Beere returns from England?
5. How does Sorowanke anger the peddlers of Dayisi's Walk? How is the conflict resolved?
6. What is the highlight of Wole's time on the farm with Broda Pupa in Chapter 9?
7. What is the nature of the controversy that arises from Beere's trip to England? How does the women's group respond?
8. What sage advice does Broda Pupa give Wole in Chapter 9? How is Wole later able to use that advice to his advantage?
9. At the beginning of Chapter 9, what apparent blasphemy does Wole commit in Odemo's palace?
10. What expectation does Wole have in Chapter 9 for Isara? What is the reality of Isara?
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)