|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was contained in Father's "mystery parcels" in Chapter 5?
(b) Musical scores.
(d) Smoked meats.
2. What does "Mr. B" do for a living?
(a) He is a merchant of jewelry.
(b) He sells books.
(c) He teaches astronomy.
(d) He mends fences.
3. Who is "Tinu?"
(a) Headmaster of the Grammar School.
(b) Wole's older sister.
(c) A local mystic.
(d) Wole's great aunt.
4. What trick does Essay play on Wole with a light bulb in Chapter 8?
(a) Essay gets Wole to believe it is a spirit trapped in a bottle.
(b) Essay installs the light bulb in Wole's room, so he can't sleep.
(c) When Wole breaks the light bulb, Essay pretends the light bulb cost hundreds of dollars.
(d) Essay pretends it takes a magical spell to turn the light on.
5. What is an iyan?
(a) A pounded yam.
(b) A bothersome biting insect.
(c) A see-saw playground toy.
(d) A spirit child halfway between life and death.
Short Answer Questions
1. What "job" is Wole given at the end of Chapter 5?
2. What sin does Wole describe committing in Chapter 6?
3. In Chapter 8, who frees Paa Adatan after he is captured?
4. In Chapter 8, how does Wild Christian react to the coming of the Bote troops?
5. What activity did Wole do every New Year?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Wole deal with the prospect of Essay dying in Chapter 11? How does Essay himself deal with the prospect?
2. Describe the tax controversy that arises in Chapter 13, and how the women's group addresses it.
3. What sage advice does Broda Pupa give Wole in Chapter 9? How is Wole later able to use that advice to his advantage?
4. Describe the family's reaction when Wole returns home from his journey through Ake in Chapter 3.
5. What is the highlight of Wole's time on the farm with Broda Pupa in Chapter 9?
6. Generally speaking, how is the philosophy in Wole's community about punishing children?
7. Describe the "see-saw" accident that Wole gets into with Osiki.
8. Describe the events leading up to the women's group decision to march on the Alake.
9. What is the origin of the Jonah rock?
10. What two new inventions is Wole exposed to at the top of Chapter 8?
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)