|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 2, how does Wole entertain his guests during his fourth birthday party?
(b) Staging a swordfight with branches as swords.
(c) Playing tag.
(d) Building a small house from strips of wood.
2. What is an "oro"?
(a) A tribal tattoo.
(b) A flat shoe.
(c) A nature spirit.
(d) A type of Nigerian currency.
3. Why does Paa Adatan wear a belt of amulets?
(a) He wears an amulet for every Nazi he has killed.
(b) He believes they will deflect bullets and make him invincible.
(c) To remind him of his dead wife.
(d) To allow him to travel between the realms of life and death.
4. What is Wole's nickname for the new radio in Chapter 8?
(a) The prophet of universal information.
(b) One who speaks without expecting a reply.
(c) The spirit in the box.
(d) One with the scratchy voice.
5. In Chapter 2, what does Wole believe about St. Peter?
(a) St. Peter is an ancestral spirit that can be conversed with.
(b) St. Peter is the source of his constant hunger.
(c) St. Peter lives on Wole's roof and is always spying on him.
(d) St. Peter is responsible for the beautiful music he hears every morning.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Wole destroy the family's roses at the end of Chapter 5?
2. Why is Wole ordered kicked out of sleeping in Essay's bedroom in Chapter 6?
3. In Chapter 1, what punishment is given to young Wild Christian and Sanya for trespassing into the woods?
4. What trouble does You-Mean-Mayself cause Essay and the household?
5. What do people call Wole's grandfather?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Chapter 1's account of who Essay is.
2. Describe the legend that Wole recounts in which Wild Christian and Uncle Sanya get in trouble with a ghommid.
3. Describe what happens at the end of Chapter 6, when Wild Christian catches Wole raiding the pantry?
4. Describe the family's reaction when Wole returns home from his journey through Ake in Chapter 3.
5. What trouble does You-Mean-Mayself cause the household? How is he finally removed from the house?
6. What method of child punishment does Wole describe in Chapter 6?
7. What dangerous accident does Wole cause in Chapter 5 while looking for presents? What is Wole's reaction?
8. What two new inventions is Wole exposed to at the top of Chapter 8?
9. Describe the episode in which a teacher commits a sin against Essay's rose bush in Chapter 5.
10. How does Wole manage to wreck a rose bush at the end of Chapter 5? What is the consequence of his action?
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)