|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What debate do Wole and Essay get into at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) Whether there is a difference between clouds and fog.
(b) Whether the compound is the correct place to raise a child.
(c) Whether there is a difference between water and rain.
(d) Whether rubbing harder on the skin gets it any cleaner.
2. In Chapter 3, how does Wole manage to get back home to Ake?
(a) He is taken by train.
(b) He is taken on the handlebars of a bike.
(c) He is taken by boat.
(d) He is carried in the arms of a police officer.
3. Why does Essay punish a teacher at school in Chapter 5?
(a) The teacher flirted with Wild Christian.
(b) The teacher physically punished a child too severely.
(c) The teacher came to school drunk.
(d) The teacher cut Essay's roses without Essay's permission.
4. What is the phrase Wole uses to describe the odor in Essay's room?
(a) Imagination stifling.
(b) Ordered mustiness.
(c) Leaden and noxious.
(d) Baked-in grease.
5. What "job" is Wole given at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) Wole is put in charge of making sure no sugar is missing from the sugar jar.
(b) Wole is given responsibility for tending the backyard roses.
(c) Wole is given responsibility for distributing an underground newspaper.
(d) Wole is asked to keep an eye on mischievous Osiki.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 2, what is Wole jealous of concerning Tinu?
2. Who or what is "Jonah"?
3. What accident does Wole suffer on his birthday in Chapter 2?
4. What do people call Wole's grandfather?
5. What is an "oro"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the philosophical debate Wole has with Essay in Chapter 4?
2. Describe the incident in which Wole is hurt by a scythe at the end of Chapter 2.
3. Describe Wild Christian's women's group. Who are its members? What do they discuss?
4. Describe the nature of the "sit-in" staged by the women's group in Chapter 14.
5. Describe Wole's gradual process of discovering the town around the compound at the beginning of Chapter 3.
6. Describe Chapter 1's account of who Essay is.
7. Describe three things Wole sees during his journey through Ake in Chapter 3.
8. What is the nature of the controversy that arises from Beere's trip to England? How does the women's group respond?
9. What method of child punishment does Wole describe in Chapter 6?
10. Overall, what is Wole's view about getting an education?
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)