|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Popularization of the radio in Chapter 8 has people around Ake saying what catch phrase?
(a) Win the War.
(b) I'm a yankee doodle dandy.
(c) Take my wife, please!
(d) Yuck Yuck! That's me!
2. What is an "abiku?"
(a) A pejorative term for someone who gossips.
(b) A spirit child halfway between the dead and living.
(c) A light breeze said to be an omen of luck and good fortune.
(d) A fearsome goat-demon said to haunt farmers.
3. What "bad habit" does Wole admit to in Chapter 4?
(a) Sloppiness while eating a pomegranate fruit.
(b) Making a loud clucking sound with his tongue at inappropriate times.
(c) Crossing his heart for no reason when crossing the street.
(d) Dipping his fingers in the Wash-Hand Basin.
4. What is NOT one of the changes Wole notices prior to his baby sister's birth?
(a) The sleeping mat was moved to another room.
(b) The furniture was rearranged.
(c) Real milk was substituted for powdered milk.
(d) Essay always looking worried.
5. Why does Mrs. B punish her maid in Chapter 6?
(a) The maid stole the sugar jar.
(b) The maid wet her bed.
(c) The maid did not clean the bathroom correctly.
(d) The maid was caught kissing a boy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What accident does Wole cause when looking for gifts in the rafters of his home in Chapter 5?
2. Before Paa Adatan leaves the village in Chapter 8, what is his final act?
3. What does Wole believe about the pomegranate fruit in Chapter 1?
4. Who is "Tinu?"
5. What are ghommids?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the episode in which a teacher commits a sin against Essay's rose bush in Chapter 5.
2. Describe Wole's gradual process of discovering the town around the compound at the beginning of Chapter 3.
3. How is Wild Christian and Uncle Sanya's trouble with a ghommid resolved?
4. What dangerous accident does Wole cause in Chapter 5 while looking for presents? What is Wole's reaction?
5. Describe the general features of the compound in which Wole lives mentioned in Chapter 1.
6. Describe the legend that Wole recounts in which Wild Christian and Uncle Sanya get in trouble with a ghommid.
7. What method of child punishment does Wole describe in Chapter 6?
8. What is the nature of the philosophical debate Wole has with Essay in Chapter 4?
9. Why, at the end of Chapter 8, is Wole's younger brother Dipo renamed Femi?
10. What two new inventions is Wole exposed to at the top of Chapter 8?
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)