|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Wole mad at his Sunday School teacher at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) The teacher is forcing him to learn a Psalm verse.
(b) The teacher called attention to his favorite rock.
(c) The teacher called him "stinky" for not bathing.
(d) The teacher did not give him any juice at lunch.
2. Why does Paa Adatan wear a belt of amulets?
(a) He believes they will deflect bullets and make him invincible.
(b) To remind him of his dead wife.
(c) He wears an amulet for every Nazi he has killed.
(d) To allow him to travel between the realms of life and death.
3. What trick does Essay play on Wole with a light bulb in Chapter 8?
(a) Essay gets Wole to believe it is a spirit trapped in a bottle.
(b) Essay pretends it takes a magical spell to turn the light on.
(c) Essay installs the light bulb in Wole's room, so he can't sleep.
(d) When Wole breaks the light bulb, Essay pretends the light bulb cost hundreds of dollars.
4. What is a "saara?"
(a) A tree with sweet-tasting sap.
(b) A blanket used in the winter months.
(c) A gathering of both boy and girl students.
(d) A feast given as an offering to spirits.
5. What are egungun?
(a) Candles used during religious ceremonies.
(b) Mysterious ancestral spirits.
(c) Two-story houses common throughout Ake.
(d) The parsonage school's official rules of conduct.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the occupation of the first white person Wole ever sees in Chapter 3?
2. What is called "a miracle from God" at the end of Chapter 2?
3. What is the phrase Wole uses to describe the odor in Wild Christian's room?
4. What accident does Wole cause when looking for gifts in the rafters of his home in Chapter 5?
5. In Chapter 1, how is Uncle Sanya cured of his spirit possession?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Wild Christian and Uncle Sanya's trouble with a ghommid resolved?
2. Describe three things Wole sees during his journey through Ake in Chapter 3.
3. Describe what happens at the end of Chapter 6, when Wild Christian catches Wole raiding the pantry?
4. Explain the origin of the nickname "Lagilagi." What happens when the family doubts Wole is worthy of such a nickname?
5. How does Wole manage to wreck a rose bush at the end of Chapter 5? What is the consequence of his action?
6. Describe the death of Wole's baby sister in Chapter 7. How does Wole react to the death?
7. Describe the incident in which Wole is hurt by a scythe at the end of Chapter 2.
8. Describe the general features of the compound in which Wole lives mentioned in Chapter 1.
9. Describe the incident in which Paa Adatan confronts Bote troops.
10. Why, at the end of Chapter 8, is Wole's younger brother Dipo renamed Femi?
This section contains 1,300 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)