|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the popularly-held belief about the Bote troops?
(a) They are valorous, and will fight to the death in combat.
(b) They are cowards and do not deserve the respect of the townspeople.
(c) They are wild and lawless, and they raid villages.
(d) They are spies for Hitler, and one must be very careful speaking around them.
2. Upon returning to Ake at the end of Chapter 3, what is the first thing Wole says?
(a) I am hungry.
(b) Osiki ate all the yam.
(c) Who are you people?
(d) Where is my dog?
3. Who saves Wole from a savage beating at the end of Chapter 5?
(c) Mr. B.
(d) Wild Christian.
4. Which is NOT one of the things Wole sees during his first walking tour of Ake in Chapter 3?
(a) Girls learning to sew.
(b) A majestic zebra.
(c) The mill.
(d) A group of potion-makers.
5. In Chapter 2, how does Wole entertain his guests during his fourth birthday party?
(a) Building a small house from strips of wood.
(b) Playing tag.
(d) Staging a swordfight with branches as swords.
Short Answer Questions
1. What "job" is Wole given at the end of Chapter 5?
2. What is Wole's memorable experience the first time he ventures outside the parsonage's walls in Chapter 3?
3. In Chapter 8, who frees Paa Adatan after he is captured?
4. Before Paa Adatan leaves the village in Chapter 8, what is his final act?
5. Who or what is "Jonah"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the legend that Wole recounts in which Wild Christian and Uncle Sanya get in trouble with a ghommid.
2. How does Wole describe the difference in odors between Essay's room and Wild Christian's room?
3. Describe three things Wole sees during his journey through Ake in Chapter 3.
4. Describe the solution accomplished for ridding Uncle Sanya of his oro spirit?
5. Describe the "see-saw" accident that Wole gets into with Osiki.
6. What two new inventions is Wole exposed to at the top of Chapter 8?
7. Describe the episode in which a teacher commits a sin against Essay's rose bush in Chapter 5.
8. Describe Wole's gradual process of discovering the town around the compound at the beginning of Chapter 3.
9. Describe the general features of the compound in which Wole lives mentioned in Chapter 1.
10. Explain the origin of the nickname "Lagilagi." What happens when the family doubts Wole is worthy of such a nickname?
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)