|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Father warn Wole about in Chapter 9 about grammar school?
(a) Father warns about the dangers of girls receiving education.
(b) It is very far away, and Wole will be far from his family.
(c) The older boys there will be jealous of Wole's young age.
(d) School education is next to worthless.
2. In Chapter 14, how does Wild Christian come to the aid of a local chief?
(a) She gives him money after his belt pouch was stolen.
(b) She testifies in his defense at trial.
(c) She helps him to read a letter from the British government.
(d) She hides him so he is not beaten by the mob.
3. What does Wole consider his "sanctuary" in Chapter 9 while staying in Isara?
(a) The market district.
(b) The central fountain.
(c) An abandoned bomb shelter.
(d) Father's mud-house.
4. What position does the Alake have?
(a) The Alake is the local governor.
(b) The Alake is the mayor of Ake.
(c) The Alake is principal of the grammar school.
(d) The Alake is the president of Nigeria.
5. What issue is NOT discussed at Wild Christian's women's group?
(b) The drought.
(c) Civil service.
(d) Infant mortality.
6. At the end of Chapter 7, why does Wild Christian pray for Wole?
(a) She prays he will get a college education.
(b) She prays he will be rich some day.
(c) She prays for his health.
(d) She prays that he is not possessed by the Devil.
7. What best characterizes Wee-Wee's handling of the grammar school?
8. What form does the protest at the Alake compound eventually take?
(a) It devolves into a massacre.
(b) The women take several chiefs hostage.
(c) The women refuse to eat until their demands are met.
(d) A sit-in protest.
9. What possibility drives Wole into a depression in Chapter 11?
(a) The possibility he will never be able to attend college.
(b) The possibility that Essay may die.
(c) The possibility his baby sister may die.
(d) The possibility that Hitler may win World War II.
10. Who is the permanent headmaster of Wole's grammar school?
(a) Bada Dooey.
(d) Mama Aduni.
11. At the end of Chapter 8, who runs away from Ake?
(a) Wild Christian.
12. What does Wole refuse to do in Odemo's palace that causes much commotion?
(a) Wole refuses to remove his shoes.
(b) Wole refuses to utter the Lord's Prayer.
(c) Wole refuses to prostrate himself before a chief.
(d) Wole refuses to shake the hand of the mayor.
13. What is the primary demand of the women's group when they organize a protest march?
(a) A better sewer system.
(b) An end to taxation.
(c) Better healthcare.
(d) An end to police brutality.
14. What does the derogatory term "agb'eyin-to" refer to?
(b) Westernized Africans.
(c) White men.
15. What is ogiri?
(a) Street orphans.
(b) A type of cheese product.
(c) A swear word.
(d) Coconut cake.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Beere received when she returns from England?
2. Where does Sorowanke live, according to Chapter 10?
3. What is Wole's opinion of snake meat?
4. What is a "beater" as Wole describes it in Chapter 9?
5. What is the immediate inspiration for a march upon the Alake in Chapter 14?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)