|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What inspires Kemberi to give a speech in Chapter 13?
(a) A woman was raped by a policeman.
(b) A mudslide had caused sanitation problems in the town.
(c) A young orphan died from starvation.
(d) Women were forced to pay exorbitant taxes on goods.
2. In Chapter 9 after a fight with a snake, what part of the snake does Broda Pupa bury?
(a) The head.
(b) The rattle.
(c) The entire snake.
(d) He refuses to bury the snake.
3. What contradiction does Wole see in Daodu?
(a) A man who boasts about his intelligence, but always displays stupidity.
(b) A man who preaches justice but always plays favorites.
(c) An educated man who nonetheless believes in corporal punishment.
(d) A huge man who nonetheless possesses a thin, soft voice.
4. According to Chapter 10, how might Wole characterize his life as a child?
(a) Complicated and frenetic.
(b) Tainted by Western influence.
(c) Simple and good.
5. What happens at the end of Wee-Wee's lashing of a boy in Chapter 12?
(a) The teachers stop Wee-Wee from doing any more harm to the boy.
(b) Wee-Wee has second thoughts, and only delivers half of the lashings.
(c) The students applause Wee-Wee for his rigorous lashing.
(d) Wee-Wee is weak, and by the last lash he is exhausted.
6. What best describes the spiritual beliefs of young Wole?
(a) A mix of tribal beliefs and Christianity.
(b) Wole is an atheist, and his family has forsaken religion.
(c) Wole retains the tribal beliefs of his people only.
(d) Wole's family has rejected tribal beliefs, and he is a pure Christian.
7. What is the occupation of Broda Pupa?
(c) Town administrator.
8. Where does Sorowanke live, according to Chapter 10?
(a) Mr. B's house.
(b) Dayisi's Walk.
(c) In a shanty town by the river.
(d) The parking lot of a McDonald's.
9. What advice does Broda Pupa give to Wole concerning bee stings?
(a) If attacked by a swarm of bees, drop to the ground and roll around.
(b) Bee stings can be treated with hyena dung.
(c) If attacked by a swarm of bees, run away as fast as you can.
(d) Bee stings can be treated with a warm salt bath.
10. Why does Paa Adatan feel he is the victim of racism?
(a) He is paid substantially less than an equivalent white man.
(b) He wishes to kill Hitler, but feels the white man is preventing him from doing so.
(c) The "no pockets" rule he is subject to is racist.
(d) He believes he is not given a gun because white men do not trust black men.
11. How does the women's protest end?
(a) A woman is killed by police officers, shocking the group and ending the protest.
(b) Several women are arrested, and the protest is forcibly broken up.
(c) The women's demands are met.
(d) In an unsatisfying deadlock.
12. What possibility drives Wole into a depression in Chapter 11?
(a) The possibility that Essay may die.
(b) The possibility he will never be able to attend college.
(c) The possibility that Hitler may win World War II.
(d) The possibility his baby sister may die.
13. At the end of Chapter 7, why does Wild Christian pray for Wole?
(a) She prays for his health.
(b) She prays he will get a college education.
(c) She prays he will be rich some day.
(d) She prays that he is not possessed by the Devil.
14. What is one of the concerns Daodu voices about the Government College?
(a) He doubts an organization that uses white people to teach black people.
(b) He has heard the discipline at the college is especially harsh.
(c) He doubts they teach anything useful beyond what grammar school teaches.
(d) He doubts an organization that accepts only men.
15. Why is Wole disappointed when he reaches Isara in Chapter 9?
(a) He was promised an elephant statue from a trader, but he never got it.
(b) Isara is full of rich snobs who look down upon his family.
(c) Wole does not receive any presents from Father.
(d) The town is provincial and unsanitary.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the primary demand of the women's group when they organize a protest march?
2. What does the white district officer say to Beere to anger her and start mob violence?
3. What form does the ghommid take when it chases Uncle Sanya in Chapter 1?
4. Where did Wee-Wee get his nickname?
5. How long does the mob violence at the Alake compound last?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)