|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As revealed in the Uncle Sanya story in Chapter 1, which of the following is considered a rare delicacy?
(b) Zebra meat.
(c) The red mushroom.
(d) Elephant tusk shavings.
2. What racist view does Beere express in Chapter 15?
(a) White men sleep with black women to feel superior.
(b) Whites always break promises.
(c) Whites are lazy and given to theft.
(d) Whites dropped the A-Bomb on Japan in World War II because they were Asian.
3. At the end of Chapter 7, why does Wild Christian pray for Wole?
(a) She prays he will get a college education.
(b) She prays for his health.
(c) She prays that he is not possessed by the Devil.
(d) She prays he will be rich some day.
4. What is Beere's relationship to Daodu?
(c) They are not related.
5. What is a "beater" as Wole describes it in Chapter 9?
(a) Wild Christian's infamous stick she uses to punish children.
(b) Anything that is seemingly magical, such as the radio.
(c) Someone who disturbs the brush to locate animals for hunters.
(d) A pair of overalls worn to protect against stinging insects.
6. What is tinko?
(a) Tinsel wrapping for gifts.
(b) Lean meat fried to a hard crisp.
(c) A small truck used to transport villagers.
(d) Pennies for church tithe.
7. Odemo is the chief of which town?
8. What do the women do to symbolically strip the local chiefs of their power?
(a) They knock over a totem pole.
(b) They break their walking staffs.
(c) They burn paper money issued by the chiefs.
(d) They strip the chiefs of their scarves.
9. Why does Wole receive lashings in Chapter 12?
(a) For sloppy grass-cutting.
(b) For not properly cleaning the blackboards.
(c) For stealing school supplies.
(d) For stabbing a student with a pencil.
10. What position does the Alake have?
(a) The Alake is principal of the grammar school.
(b) The Alake is the president of Nigeria.
(c) The Alake is the local governor.
(d) The Alake is the mayor of Ake.
11. What is one of the concerns Daodu voices about the Government College?
(a) He doubts an organization that accepts only men.
(b) He doubts they teach anything useful beyond what grammar school teaches.
(c) He has heard the discipline at the college is especially harsh.
(d) He doubts an organization that uses white people to teach black people.
12. What is the name of Sorowanke's boyfriend?
13. What does Essay make Wole promise him in Chapter 11?
(a) That Wole will travel to America.
(b) That Wole will never lie again.
(c) That Wole will attend college.
(d) That Wole will always attend church.
14. What is an ogboni?
(a) A crayfish stew.
(b) A coconut cake.
(c) A blacksmith.
(d) A local chief.
15. Why can't Wole attend Government College when he is initially accepted?
(a) He must tend to a sick Essay.
(b) He does not get a scholarship.
(c) Wild Christian needs help at her shop.
(d) The area around the Government College became a contested zone during World War II.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the occupation of Broda Pupa?
2. Why is Wole disappointed when he reaches Isara in Chapter 9?
3. What is Wole's reaction when he sees his first white man?
4. What does Wole refuse to do in Odemo's palace that causes much commotion?
5. What does Wild Christian name her women's group?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)