|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is kasada?
(a) Coconut cake.
(b) Wole's dismissive term for all Western influences.
(c) A large, fleshy melon.
(d) Crayfish stew.
2. Who is the permanent headmaster of Wole's grammar school?
(a) Bada Dooey.
(b) Mama Aduni.
3. What does Wole think about the Westernizing of his culture?
(a) Western influences are harmful.
(b) He believes Westernization can be the salvation of his people.
(c) He thinks Western influences should be limited to pop culture.
(d) He has fully embraced Western culture.
4. What does the derogatory term "agb'eyin-to" refer to?
(b) White men.
(d) Westernized Africans.
5. What is the "last straw" in Sorowanke's fight with local peddlers?
(a) Sorowanke steals a potion rack from a peddler.
(b) The peddlers begin to charge her exorbitant fees.
(c) Sorowanke becomes pregnant.
(d) The peddlers bribe the police to arrest Sorowanke.
6. What best describes Kemberi's oratorical style?
7. What is ogiri?
(a) A swear word.
(b) A type of cheese product.
(c) Street orphans.
(d) Coconut cake.
8. What do the women do to symbolically strip the local chiefs of their power?
(a) They break their walking staffs.
(b) They strip the chiefs of their scarves.
(c) They burn paper money issued by the chiefs.
(d) They knock over a totem pole.
9. What does Wole consider his "sanctuary" in Chapter 9 while staying in Isara?
(a) An abandoned bomb shelter.
(b) The central fountain.
(c) Father's mud-house.
(d) The market district.
10. Why is Wole disappointed when he reaches Isara in Chapter 9?
(a) Wole does not receive any presents from Father.
(b) Isara is full of rich snobs who look down upon his family.
(c) The town is provincial and unsanitary.
(d) He was promised an elephant statue from a trader, but he never got it.
11. What is the occupation of Broda Pupa?
(c) Town administrator.
12. What secret promise does Beere make with Wole at the end of the book?
(a) Beere will continue to give Wole news about the protest movement.
(b) Beere will send Wole additional money.
(c) Beere will send Wole packages of his favorite food -- pounded yams.
(d) Beere will get Wole shoes.
13. What is Beere's relationship to Daodu?
(a) They are not related.
14. Why does Paa Adatan feel he is the victim of racism?
(a) The "no pockets" rule he is subject to is racist.
(b) He believes he is not given a gun because white men do not trust black men.
(c) He is paid substantially less than an equivalent white man.
(d) He wishes to kill Hitler, but feels the white man is preventing him from doing so.
15. What complaint does Wole make at the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) Politicians are thoroughly corrupt.
(b) The military is taking over the country.
(c) The smells of the wonderful dishes of his youth are no more.
(d) Wole never got his chance to become an engineer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What positive omen takes place during the protest at the end of Chapter 14?
2. What racist view does Beere express in Chapter 15?
3. What is the name of Sorowanke's boyfriend?
4. What issue is NOT discussed at Wild Christian's women's group?
5. What advice does Broda Pupa give to Wole concerning bee stings?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)