|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is an ogboni?
(a) A blacksmith.
(b) A coconut cake.
(c) A crayfish stew.
(d) A local chief.
2. What are the caravanserai?
(a) A group of holy men.
(b) A group akin to the American mafia.
(c) Headmasters of grammar schools.
(d) Merchants from Isara.
3. What best describes Kemberi's oratorical style?
4. Why does Beere travel to England in Chapter 13?
(a) Because a friend in need is in London.
(b) To advocate for the country's needs.
(c) To escape arrest.
(d) To see Big Ben and other landmarks.
5. What position does the Alake have?
(a) The Alake is the local governor.
(b) The Alake is the president of Nigeria.
(c) The Alake is the mayor of Ake.
(d) The Alake is principal of the grammar school.
6. What advice does Broda Pupa give to Wole concerning bee stings?
(a) Bee stings can be treated with hyena dung.
(b) If attacked by a swarm of bees, run away as fast as you can.
(c) Bee stings can be treated with a warm salt bath.
(d) If attacked by a swarm of bees, drop to the ground and roll around.
7. What does the white district officer say to Beere to anger her and start mob violence?
(a) "You women are all alike."
(b) "Shut your women up."
(c) "You need a beating."
(d) "You have pretty eyes."
8. At the end of Chapter 7, why does Wild Christian pray for Wole?
(a) She prays he will be rich some day.
(b) She prays he will get a college education.
(c) She prays for his health.
(d) She prays that he is not possessed by the Devil.
9. Under what circumstances does Wole join the church choir in Chapter 10?
(a) The organist hears him singing, and asks him to join.
(b) Wole bugs the choir leader until the leader agrees.
(c) Wole joins the choir because a member of the choir is a girl he has feelings for.
(d) Wole is forced to join by Wild Christian.
10. What form does the ghommid take when it chases Uncle Sanya in Chapter 1?
(a) A giant fireball.
(b) An ogre.
(c) A storm cloud.
(d) The Devil.
11. What is akara?
(a) A spirit of the forest.
(b) A process of application to become a holy man.
(c) A salve used to treat bee stings.
(d) Fried bean cake.
12. On a trip to Broda Pupa's farm, which is NOT one of the activities Wole participates in?
(a) Hoe farmland.
(b) Gather fruits.
(c) Have a feast of snake meat.
(d) Milk a cow.
13. Why does Wole receive lashings in Chapter 12?
(a) For stealing school supplies.
(b) For sloppy grass-cutting.
(c) For stabbing a student with a pencil.
(d) For not properly cleaning the blackboards.
14. What best characterizes Wee-Wee's handling of the grammar school?
15. How does Wild Christian respond to the mob violence in Chapter 14?
(a) Wild Christian tries to strangle the Alake.
(b) Wild Christian doesn't believe violence is the way, and she refuses to participate.
(c) Wild Christian is among the most violent instigators in the mob.
(d) Wild Christian betrays the women's group to the local police.
Short Answer Questions
1. Odemo is the chief of which town?
2. What is the name of Sorowanke's boyfriend?
3. What is ogiri?
4. How does the Alake respond initially to the women's group demands?
5. Where did Wee-Wee get his nickname?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)