|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 7, how does Wole regard Mrs. Odufuwa?
(a) He hates Mrs. Odufuwa for her rough bathing sessions.
(b) He believes Mrs. Odufuwa is the most beautiful woman on earth.
(c) He enjoys Mrs. Odufuwa's cooking greatly.
(d) He fears Mrs. Odufuwa, because he thinks she is a witch.
2. What is an iyan?
(a) A see-saw playground toy.
(b) A spirit child halfway between life and death.
(c) A pounded yam.
(d) A bothersome biting insect.
3. Upon returning to Ake at the end of Chapter 3, what is the first thing Wole says?
(a) Where is my dog?
(b) Who are you people?
(c) Osiki ate all the yam.
(d) I am hungry.
4. Who is Headmaster of the Grammar School?
(d) Reverend J. J. Ransome-Kuti.
5. What is the name of Wole's family servant?
(c) Wild Christian.
6. Why does Mrs. B punish her maid in Chapter 6?
(a) The maid stole the sugar jar.
(b) The maid wet her bed.
(c) The maid did not clean the bathroom correctly.
(d) The maid was caught kissing a boy.
7. What does Wole believe about the pomegranate fruit in Chapter 1?
(a) That it is inhabited by the spirit of his ancestors.
(b) That it can cure his mother's cancer.
(c) That it is full of deadly poison.
(d) That it is the apple mentioned in the Bible that tempted Adam and Eve.
8. What is a "saara?"
(a) A tree with sweet-tasting sap.
(b) A gathering of both boy and girl students.
(c) A feast given as an offering to spirits.
(d) A blanket used in the winter months.
9. What action taken by the drunken soldier in Chapter 8 enrages Wole?
(a) The soldier cusses at Wild Christian.
(b) The soldier urinates in the family's outside well.
(c) The soldier mocks Wole for being weak and cowardly.
(d) The soldier damages Essay's rose bush.
10. Who saves Wole from a savage beating at the end of Chapter 5?
(b) Wild Christian.
(d) Mr. B.
11. Who lives in BishopsCourt?
(a) It is a guest house for visiting dignitaries.
(b) Female students.
(c) Male teachers.
(d) The cleaning staff of the compound.
12. Which is NOT a name given to the master of Wole's parsonage compound?
(c) Pa Delumo.
(d) Wild Man.
13. What name does Mrs. Odufuwa give Wole?
(b) Froo Froo.
14. What is the popularly-held belief about the Bote troops?
(a) They are spies for Hitler, and one must be very careful speaking around them.
(b) They are valorous, and will fight to the death in combat.
(c) They are cowards and do not deserve the respect of the townspeople.
(d) They are wild and lawless, and they raid villages.
15. In Chapter 8, who frees Paa Adatan after he is captured?
(b) Wild Christian.
(c) Mr. B.
(d) Uncle Dipo.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Wole believe Mr. B spends so much time at Wole's family's house?
2. Why does Essay punish a teacher at school in Chapter 5?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 6, who sleeps on the communal mat in Wild Christian's room?
4. What is an "abiku?"
5. How does Wole get his first look at the world outside the parsonage's walls in Chapter 3?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)