|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the popularly-held belief about the Bote troops?
(a) They are valorous, and will fight to the death in combat.
(b) They are cowards and do not deserve the respect of the townspeople.
(c) They are wild and lawless, and they raid villages.
(d) They are spies for Hitler, and one must be very careful speaking around them.
2. In Chapter 4, how does Wole counter the accusation that he has a fear of water?
(a) He pours a glass of water over himself.
(b) He tries to run away to the coast.
(c) He states that he loves to be out in the rain.
(d) He submerges himself in a water barrel for a minute and a half.
3. Who defeats Paa Adatan in Chapter 8?
(a) Bote troops.
(b) A dozen townspeople.
(d) Wole and his cousin.
4. What trick does Essay play on Wole with a light bulb in Chapter 8?
(a) Essay gets Wole to believe it is a spirit trapped in a bottle.
(b) When Wole breaks the light bulb, Essay pretends the light bulb cost hundreds of dollars.
(c) Essay pretends it takes a magical spell to turn the light on.
(d) Essay installs the light bulb in Wole's room, so he can't sleep.
5. Who or what is emi esu?
(a) A respected village elder.
(b) The tribal equivalent of the Devil.
(c) A term of affection for a young woman.
(d) A large, leafy plant.
6. After Paa Adatan's conflict with troops in Chapter 8, which term best describes his emotional state?
7. What accident does Wole suffer on his birthday in Chapter 2?
(a) His foot is broken when it is run over by an automobile tire.
(b) He gets into a fight and receives two black eyes.
(c) He nearly drowns during his beachside party.
(d) While playing see-saw, Wole falls and hurts his head.
8. What is the teacher's reaction to young Wole coming to school uninvited at the beginning of Chapter 2?
(a) The teacher is so amused, Wole is asked to teach the day's lesson.
(b) The teacher says Wole is welcome anytime.
(c) The teacher makes use of him by having him cut the grass.
(d) The teacher is angered, and has a long talk with Essay.
9. What do Osiki and Wole initially have in common?
(a) A fondness for Tinu.
(b) They are physical neighbors.
(c) A love of good food.
(d) A love of the spoken word.
10. At the end of Chapter 8, younger brother Dipo is given what new name?
(a) Wole Jr.
11. In Chapter 7, what does the baby return from the hospital with?
(a) A plaster cast around her torso.
(b) A cast around both feet.
(c) A miniature version of an iron lung machine.
(d) Two long feeding tubes inserted into her arms.
12. Who lives in BishopsCourt?
(a) The cleaning staff of the compound.
(b) Male teachers.
(c) Female students.
(d) It is a guest house for visiting dignitaries.
13. What is an iyan?
(a) A bothersome biting insect.
(b) A pounded yam.
(c) A spirit child halfway between life and death.
(d) A see-saw playground toy.
14. In Chapter 7, what is Wole's baby sister dressed in when she is buried?
(a) She is buried without clothes.
(b) Many pieces of jewelry.
(c) A dress made of scraps of cloth from the villagers.
(d) A white dress.
15. Who or what is "Jonah"?
(a) The family home's welcome mat.
(b) The name given to a large rock outside the church.
(c) The area behind Wole's house.
(d) Wole's imaginary friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What trouble does You-Mean-Mayself cause Essay and the household?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 6, who sleeps on the communal mat in Wild Christian's room?
3. Why does Wole believe Mr. B spends so much time at Wole's family's house?
4. In Chapter 7, how does Wole regard Mrs. Odufuwa?
5. Before Paa Adatan leaves the village in Chapter 8, what is his final act?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)