|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the only member of Wole's extended family who is angry for him wandering off in Chapter 3?
(a) Mrs. B.
(d) Wild Christian.
2. What are egungun?
(a) Mysterious ancestral spirits.
(b) The parsonage school's official rules of conduct.
(c) Two-story houses common throughout Ake.
(d) Candles used during religious ceremonies.
3. What is Wole's problem at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) He can't go to school, and wants to.
(b) The servant is bathing him in a rough fashion.
(c) His home has run out of yams.
(d) He is lost in the town of Ibara.
4. Who does Wole initially believe the drunken soldier in Chapter 8 to be?
(a) Wild Christian.
(b) His long-lost brother.
(c) Uncle Sanya.
(d) Adolf Hitler.
5. In Chapter 7, what is Wole's baby sister dressed in when she is buried?
(a) She is buried without clothes.
(b) Many pieces of jewelry.
(c) A dress made of scraps of cloth from the villagers.
(d) A white dress.
6. At the end of Chapter 8, younger brother Dipo is given what new name?
(a) Wole Jr.
7. Why does Wole destroy the family's roses at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) He thought Wild Christian needed roses for her famous stew.
(b) He destroyed the roses on a dare from Osiki.
(c) Waving a vegetable stalk, he imagined a swordfight, and got carried away.
(d) He was getting back at Essay for beating him earlier.
8. After Paa Adatan's conflict with troops in Chapter 8, which term best describes his emotional state?
9. What is NOT one of the changes Wole notices prior to his baby sister's birth?
(a) The furniture was rearranged.
(b) Real milk was substituted for powdered milk.
(c) The sleeping mat was moved to another room.
(d) Essay always looking worried.
10. What debate do Wole and Essay get into at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) Whether there is a difference between water and rain.
(b) Whether rubbing harder on the skin gets it any cleaner.
(c) Whether there is a difference between clouds and fog.
(d) Whether the compound is the correct place to raise a child.
11. Which is NOT a name given to the master of Wole's parsonage compound?
(a) Wild Man.
(c) Pa Delumo.
12. How do the majority of Ake's residents react to the new radio?
(a) They begin to write their own radio plays.
(b) They start a collection to travel to see Milton Berle.
(c) The news causes hysteria in the town.
(d) The residents stage a series of all-night dance-a-thons.
13. What is the name of Wole's hometown?
(b) Ivory Coast.
14. What is Wole's nickname for the new radio in Chapter 8?
(a) The spirit in the box.
(b) One with the scratchy voice.
(c) One who speaks without expecting a reply.
(d) The prophet of universal information.
15. What is the popularly-held belief about the Bote troops?
(a) They are wild and lawless, and they raid villages.
(b) They are valorous, and will fight to the death in combat.
(c) They are cowards and do not deserve the respect of the townspeople.
(d) They are spies for Hitler, and one must be very careful speaking around them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wole begins the narrative starting when he was what age?
2. What is the teacher's reaction to young Wole coming to school uninvited at the beginning of Chapter 2?
3. How might Wild Christian best be characterized?
4. What do Essay and Christian accuse the maid of in Chapter 7?
5. What action taken by the drunken soldier in Chapter 8 enrages Wole?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)