|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Wole mad at his Sunday School teacher at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) The teacher called him "stinky" for not bathing.
(b) The teacher did not give him any juice at lunch.
(c) The teacher is forcing him to learn a Psalm verse.
(d) The teacher called attention to his favorite rock.
2. What accident does Wole cause when looking for gifts in the rafters of his home in Chapter 5?
(a) He nearly puts an eye out with a scythe.
(b) He breaks his grandfather's big toe.
(c) He makes a hunting gun go off.
(d) He breaks a window playing ball.
3. How might Wild Christian best be characterized?
(a) Quiet, and thoughtful.
(b) Boisterous and ill-tempered.
(c) Quick-witted and gregarious.
(d) Stoop-shouldered and droopy-eyed.
4. Before Paa Adatan leaves the village in Chapter 8, what is his final act?
(a) He speaks in tongues, and then convulses in a seizure.
(b) He gives an amulet to Wole.
(c) He crushes a magical gourd with his boot.
(d) He draws a line in the sand and dares anyone in Ake to cross it.
5. In Chapter 7, what does the baby return from the hospital with?
(a) A cast around both feet.
(b) A miniature version of an iron lung machine.
(c) A plaster cast around her torso.
(d) Two long feeding tubes inserted into her arms.
6. What is the name of Wole's hometown?
(b) Ivory Coast.
7. Who defeats Paa Adatan in Chapter 8?
(a) Bote troops.
(c) Wole and his cousin.
(d) A dozen townspeople.
8. Why does Paa Adatan wear a belt of amulets?
(a) To allow him to travel between the realms of life and death.
(b) To remind him of his dead wife.
(c) He wears an amulet for every Nazi he has killed.
(d) He believes they will deflect bullets and make him invincible.
9. Why does Wild Christian scold Wole during his birthday party in Chapter 2?
(a) Wole brought a rabbit home.
(b) Wole did not tell her he was planning a party with so many guests.
(c) Wole got pomegranate juice all over the floor and table.
(d) Wole's singing was too loud and off key.
10. What name does Mrs. Odufuwa give Wole?
(c) Froo Froo.
11. What is the name of Wole's great uncle?
(a) Pa Delumo.
(c) Reverend J. J. Ransome-Kuti.
(d) Paa Adatan.
12. In Chapter 8, who frees Paa Adatan after he is captured?
(a) Uncle Dipo.
(b) Wild Christian.
(c) Mr. B.
13. What is a "saara?"
(a) A blanket used in the winter months.
(b) A gathering of both boy and girl students.
(c) A feast given as an offering to spirits.
(d) A tree with sweet-tasting sap.
14. What does Bukola do to get her way with her father?
(a) She sits on the ground and won't budge.
(b) She fakes trances.
(c) She cries.
(d) She punches him on his arm.
15. What is the popularly-held belief about the Bote troops?
(a) They are spies for Hitler, and one must be very careful speaking around them.
(b) They are cowards and do not deserve the respect of the townspeople.
(c) They are valorous, and will fight to the death in combat.
(d) They are wild and lawless, and they raid villages.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wole begins the narrative starting when he was what age?
2. Which of the following best describes the temperament of the new baby in Chapter 7?
3. Who is Paa Adatan's stated enemy?
4. What was contained in Father's "mystery parcels" in Chapter 5?
5. Which is NOT a name given to the master of Wole's parsonage compound?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)