|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What trouble does You-Mean-Mayself cause Essay and the household?
(a) He plays his accordion at all hours of the night.
(b) He mooches food from the family.
(c) He refuses to pay back a significant loan.
(d) He steals the radio.
2. What action taken by the drunken soldier in Chapter 8 enrages Wole?
(a) The soldier urinates in the family's outside well.
(b) The soldier mocks Wole for being weak and cowardly.
(c) The soldier damages Essay's rose bush.
(d) The soldier cusses at Wild Christian.
3. In Chapter 7, what is Wole's baby sister dressed in when she is buried?
(a) Many pieces of jewelry.
(b) A white dress.
(c) She is buried without clothes.
(d) A dress made of scraps of cloth from the villagers.
4. In Chapter 8, how does Wild Christian react to the coming of the Bote troops?
(a) She spits in a troop's face, and orders Paa Adatan to attack them.
(b) Fearful of their reputation, she closes her shop for the day.
(c) She invites them to her shop, and charges them double.
(d) She invites them to her shop, and gives them steep discounts on her goods.
5. In Chapter 2, how does Wole entertain his guests during his fourth birthday party?
(b) Building a small house from strips of wood.
(c) Playing tag.
(d) Staging a swordfight with branches as swords.
6. Why is Wole mad at his Sunday School teacher at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) The teacher is forcing him to learn a Psalm verse.
(b) The teacher called attention to his favorite rock.
(c) The teacher did not give him any juice at lunch.
(d) The teacher called him "stinky" for not bathing.
7. What accident does Wole suffer on his birthday in Chapter 2?
(a) While playing see-saw, Wole falls and hurts his head.
(b) He nearly drowns during his beachside party.
(c) His foot is broken when it is run over by an automobile tire.
(d) He gets into a fight and receives two black eyes.
8. What does "Mr. B" do for a living?
(a) He is a merchant of jewelry.
(b) He sells books.
(c) He mends fences.
(d) He teaches astronomy.
9. Why does Wole believe Mr. B spends so much time at Wole's family's house?
(a) Mr. B is afraid of being caught by the police at his own home.
(b) Mr. B loves to listen to their radio.
(c) Mr. B tires of his daughter.
(d) Mr. B loves to eat their food.
10. What is the name of Wole's baby sister in Chapter 7?
(a) Wild Christian.
11. What is the name of Wole's family servant?
(b) Wild Christian.
12. In Chapter 2, what does Wole believe about St. Peter?
(a) St. Peter lives on Wole's roof and is always spying on him.
(b) St. Peter is responsible for the beautiful music he hears every morning.
(c) St. Peter is an ancestral spirit that can be conversed with.
(d) St. Peter is the source of his constant hunger.
13. Who is the only member of Wole's extended family who is angry for him wandering off in Chapter 3?
(a) Wild Christian.
(b) Mrs. B.
14. What do Essay and Christian accuse the maid of in Chapter 7?
(a) Dropping the new baby.
(b) Having sex with a young man when they were away.
(c) Stealing powdered milk.
(d) Not cleaning the sleeping mat.
15. Who is Headmaster of the Grammar School?
(a) Reverend J. J. Ransome-Kuti.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the majority of Ake's residents react to the new radio?
2. How does Wole get his first look at the world outside the parsonage's walls in Chapter 3?
3. Who or what is emi esu?
4. Who does Wole initially believe the drunken soldier in Chapter 8 to be?
5. Wole begins the narrative starting when he was what age?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)