|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who lives in BishopsCourt?
(a) It is a guest house for visiting dignitaries.
(b) Female students.
(c) Male teachers.
(d) The cleaning staff of the compound.
2. Why is Wole ordered kicked out of sleeping in Essay's bedroom in Chapter 6?
(a) He is punished for wrecking Essay's rose bush.
(b) He is deemed too old.
(c) He urinated in the bed.
(d) Essay goes on a long trip, and locks his door.
3. What is NOT one of the changes Wole notices prior to his baby sister's birth?
(a) The furniture was rearranged.
(b) Essay always looking worried.
(c) Real milk was substituted for powdered milk.
(d) The sleeping mat was moved to another room.
4. Why does Wole destroy the family's roses at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) He was getting back at Essay for beating him earlier.
(b) He thought Wild Christian needed roses for her famous stew.
(c) Waving a vegetable stalk, he imagined a swordfight, and got carried away.
(d) He destroyed the roses on a dare from Osiki.
5. What do Osiki and Wole initially have in common?
(a) A love of good food.
(b) A love of the spoken word.
(c) A fondness for Tinu.
(d) They are physical neighbors.
6. What does Wole believe about the pomegranate fruit in Chapter 1?
(a) That it is full of deadly poison.
(b) That it can cure his mother's cancer.
(c) That it is the apple mentioned in the Bible that tempted Adam and Eve.
(d) That it is inhabited by the spirit of his ancestors.
7. What is Wole's problem at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) The servant is bathing him in a rough fashion.
(b) He is lost in the town of Ibara.
(c) He can't go to school, and wants to.
(d) His home has run out of yams.
8. In Chapter 8, who frees Paa Adatan after he is captured?
(b) Wild Christian.
(c) Uncle Dipo.
(d) Mr. B.
9. Why does Essay punish a teacher at school in Chapter 5?
(a) The teacher came to school drunk.
(b) The teacher cut Essay's roses without Essay's permission.
(c) The teacher physically punished a child too severely.
(d) The teacher flirted with Wild Christian.
10. In Chapter 4, how does Wole counter the accusation that he has a fear of water?
(a) He submerges himself in a water barrel for a minute and a half.
(b) He tries to run away to the coast.
(c) He pours a glass of water over himself.
(d) He states that he loves to be out in the rain.
11. What is the phrase Wole uses to describe the odor in Essay's room?
(a) Ordered mustiness.
(b) Imagination stifling.
(c) Baked-in grease.
(d) Leaden and noxious.
12. Who is Headmaster of the Grammar School?
(c) Reverend J. J. Ransome-Kuti.
13. Who is Paa Adatan's stated enemy?
(a) Adolf Hitler.
(b) The government of Nigeria.
(d) Egungun, the earth spirit.
14. What is the name of Wole's baby sister in Chapter 7?
(c) Wild Christian.
15. What "bad habit" does Wole admit to in Chapter 4?
(a) Dipping his fingers in the Wash-Hand Basin.
(b) Crossing his heart for no reason when crossing the street.
(c) Sloppiness while eating a pomegranate fruit.
(d) Making a loud clucking sound with his tongue at inappropriate times.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Paa Adatan wear a belt of amulets?
2. What is Wole's nickname for the new radio in Chapter 8?
3. In Chapter 1, what punishment is given to young Wild Christian and Sanya for trespassing into the woods?
4. How does Wole get his first look at the world outside the parsonage's walls in Chapter 3?
5. What is the name of Wole's great uncle?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)