|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is NOT a name given to the master of Wole's parsonage compound?
(a) Pa Delumo.
(c) Wild Man.
2. What is Wole's nickname for the new radio in Chapter 8?
(a) One who speaks without expecting a reply.
(b) One with the scratchy voice.
(c) The prophet of universal information.
(d) The spirit in the box.
3. What is the teacher's reaction to young Wole coming to school uninvited at the beginning of Chapter 2?
(a) The teacher is angered, and has a long talk with Essay.
(b) The teacher is so amused, Wole is asked to teach the day's lesson.
(c) The teacher makes use of him by having him cut the grass.
(d) The teacher says Wole is welcome anytime.
4. Who is the only member of Wole's extended family who is angry for him wandering off in Chapter 3?
(b) Mrs. B.
(d) Wild Christian.
5. Why is Wole ordered kicked out of sleeping in Essay's bedroom in Chapter 6?
(a) He is deemed too old.
(b) He urinated in the bed.
(c) Essay goes on a long trip, and locks his door.
(d) He is punished for wrecking Essay's rose bush.
6. Who is Headmaster of the Grammar School?
(b) Reverend J. J. Ransome-Kuti.
7. Why does Wole decide to run away from home in Chapter 6?
(a) Because he decided to join the circus in Isara.
(b) To prevent Wild Christian from parading him around town as punishment.
(c) To escape a vengeful forest spirit.
(d) To escape the wrath of the church leaders for stealing money.
8. What name does Mrs. Odufuwa give Wole?
(d) Froo Froo.
9. Why is Wole mad at his Sunday School teacher at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) The teacher did not give him any juice at lunch.
(b) The teacher called attention to his favorite rock.
(c) The teacher called him "stinky" for not bathing.
(d) The teacher is forcing him to learn a Psalm verse.
10. What does "Mr. B" do for a living?
(a) He mends fences.
(b) He sells books.
(c) He is a merchant of jewelry.
(d) He teaches astronomy.
11. In Chapter 7, what is Wole's baby sister dressed in when she is buried?
(a) A white dress.
(b) A dress made of scraps of cloth from the villagers.
(c) She is buried without clothes.
(d) Many pieces of jewelry.
12. How do the majority of Ake's residents react to the new radio?
(a) They begin to write their own radio plays.
(b) The news causes hysteria in the town.
(c) The residents stage a series of all-night dance-a-thons.
(d) They start a collection to travel to see Milton Berle.
13. What are ghommids?
(a) Mystical fruits that grant immortality.
(b) Gifts provided to the parents of a woman of marriageable age.
(c) Forest creatures which hunt for children.
(d) Fashionable shoes that schoolchildren wear.
14. In Chapter 1, what punishment is given to young Wild Christian and Sanya for trespassing into the woods?
(a) They are expelled from school.
(b) They are deprived of food for a week.
(c) They are given half a dozen lashes apiece.
(d) They are both forced to eat a powerful pepper plant.
15. In Chapter 1, how is Uncle Sanya cured of his spirit possession?
(a) Uncle Sanya is confined in a hut for 2 months.
(b) The offending spirits are given food to placate them.
(c) Uncle Sanya is taken to a high mountain, where the spirits cannot reach.
(d) Uncle Sanya is drained of a pint of blood.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an iyan?
2. Who defeats Paa Adatan in Chapter 8?
3. What sin does Wole describe committing in Chapter 6?
4. In Chapter 7, what does the baby return from the hospital with?
5. In Chapter 4, how does Wole counter the accusation that he has a fear of water?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)