|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "Mr. B" do for a living?
(a) He sells books.
(b) He teaches astronomy.
(c) He mends fences.
(d) He is a merchant of jewelry.
2. What subject dominates the radio waves in Chapter 8?
(a) The comedy of Jack Benny.
(b) World War II.
(c) A radio program called 'The Shadow.'
(d) The Nigerian fight for independence.
3. Who is the only member of Wole's extended family who is angry for him wandering off in Chapter 3?
(b) Wild Christian.
(c) Mrs. B.
4. Why does Wole destroy the family's roses at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) He destroyed the roses on a dare from Osiki.
(b) He was getting back at Essay for beating him earlier.
(c) He thought Wild Christian needed roses for her famous stew.
(d) Waving a vegetable stalk, he imagined a swordfight, and got carried away.
5. What is the popularly-held belief about the Bote troops?
(a) They are spies for Hitler, and one must be very careful speaking around them.
(b) They are wild and lawless, and they raid villages.
(c) They are cowards and do not deserve the respect of the townspeople.
(d) They are valorous, and will fight to the death in combat.
6. Before Paa Adatan leaves the village in Chapter 8, what is his final act?
(a) He draws a line in the sand and dares anyone in Ake to cross it.
(b) He gives an amulet to Wole.
(c) He crushes a magical gourd with his boot.
(d) He speaks in tongues, and then convulses in a seizure.
7. What is the phrase Wole uses to describe the odor in Wild Christian's room?
(a) Sweet and airy like a cake.
(b) Hot, humid, and sticky.
(c) A riot of smells.
(d) Given to change like a chameleon.
8. In Chapter 1, how is Uncle Sanya cured of his spirit possession?
(a) Uncle Sanya is taken to a high mountain, where the spirits cannot reach.
(b) The offending spirits are given food to placate them.
(c) Uncle Sanya is drained of a pint of blood.
(d) Uncle Sanya is confined in a hut for 2 months.
9. Who or what is "Jonah"?
(a) The area behind Wole's house.
(b) The family home's welcome mat.
(c) Wole's imaginary friend.
(d) The name given to a large rock outside the church.
10. How do the majority of Ake's residents react to the new radio?
(a) The residents stage a series of all-night dance-a-thons.
(b) The news causes hysteria in the town.
(c) They start a collection to travel to see Milton Berle.
(d) They begin to write their own radio plays.
11. What is an "oro"?
(a) A nature spirit.
(b) A tribal tattoo.
(c) A type of Nigerian currency.
(d) A flat shoe.
12. At the beginning of Chapter 6, who sleeps on the communal mat in Wild Christian's room?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. B.
(c) Stray children from the village.
13. In Chapter 8, how does Wild Christian react to the coming of the Bote troops?
(a) She spits in a troop's face, and orders Paa Adatan to attack them.
(b) She invites them to her shop, and charges them double.
(c) Fearful of their reputation, she closes her shop for the day.
(d) She invites them to her shop, and gives them steep discounts on her goods.
14. What is the name of Wole's baby sister in Chapter 7?
(c) Wild Christian.
15. What is Wole's memorable experience the first time he ventures outside the parsonage's walls in Chapter 3?
(a) He sees a naked woman bathing.
(b) He is exposed to a marching band.
(c) He is kidnapped by a homeless man.
(d) For the first time, he eats a delicious variety of pounded yam.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is NOT a name given to the master of Wole's parsonage compound?
2. What is NOT one of the changes Wole notices prior to his baby sister's birth?
3. What sin does Wole describe committing in Chapter 6?
4. Who is "Tinu?"
5. Upon returning to Ake at the end of Chapter 3, what is the first thing Wole says?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)