|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do people call Wole's grandfather?
(b) Saara Joe.
(d) Mr. Iyan
2. What are egungun?
(a) Candles used during religious ceremonies.
(b) Mysterious ancestral spirits.
(c) Two-story houses common throughout Ake.
(d) The parsonage school's official rules of conduct.
3. Who does Wole initially believe the drunken soldier in Chapter 8 to be?
(a) Uncle Sanya.
(b) Wild Christian.
(c) His long-lost brother.
(d) Adolf Hitler.
4. At the beginning of Chapter 2, what is Wole jealous of concerning Tinu?
(a) That she has shoes, and he does not.
(b) That she gets the choicest morsels of bread, and he is stuck with hard crust.
(c) That she can split a pomegranate, and he can not.
(d) That she goes to school, and that he is too young to go.
5. What subject dominates the radio waves in Chapter 8?
(a) A radio program called 'The Shadow.'
(b) The Nigerian fight for independence.
(c) The comedy of Jack Benny.
(d) World War II.
6. Who is Paa Adatan's stated enemy?
(a) Egungun, the earth spirit.
(c) The government of Nigeria.
(d) Adolf Hitler.
7. Who is the only member of Wole's extended family who is angry for him wandering off in Chapter 3?
(a) Wild Christian.
(b) Mrs. B.
8. Who is "Tinu?"
(a) Wole's older sister.
(b) Headmaster of the Grammar School.
(c) Wole's great aunt.
(d) A local mystic.
9. What is Wole's memorable experience the first time he ventures outside the parsonage's walls in Chapter 3?
(a) For the first time, he eats a delicious variety of pounded yam.
(b) He is exposed to a marching band.
(c) He sees a naked woman bathing.
(d) He is kidnapped by a homeless man.
10. What is the name of Wole's baby sister in Chapter 7?
(c) Wild Christian.
11. In Chapter 2, what does Wole believe about St. Peter?
(a) St. Peter is the source of his constant hunger.
(b) St. Peter lives on Wole's roof and is always spying on him.
(c) St. Peter is responsible for the beautiful music he hears every morning.
(d) St. Peter is an ancestral spirit that can be conversed with.
12. In Chapter 8, how does Wild Christian react to the coming of the Bote troops?
(a) She invites them to her shop, and gives them steep discounts on her goods.
(b) She spits in a troop's face, and orders Paa Adatan to attack them.
(c) She invites them to her shop, and charges them double.
(d) Fearful of their reputation, she closes her shop for the day.
13. Which is NOT a name given to the master of Wole's parsonage compound?
(a) Pa Delumo.
(c) Wild Man.
14. In Chapter 2, how does Wole entertain his guests during his fourth birthday party?
(a) Staging a swordfight with branches as swords.
(c) Playing tag.
(d) Building a small house from strips of wood.
15. What is Wole's problem at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) The servant is bathing him in a rough fashion.
(b) His home has run out of yams.
(c) He can't go to school, and wants to.
(d) He is lost in the town of Ibara.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. B punish her maid in Chapter 6?
2. In Chapter 7, what does the baby return from the hospital with?
3. What do Osiki and Wole initially have in common?
4. In Chapter 4, why does Wole hide in the pantry?
5. What is called "a miracle from God" at the end of Chapter 2?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)