|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do people call Wole's grandfather?
(c) Mr. Iyan
(d) Saara Joe.
2. What was contained in Father's "mystery parcels" in Chapter 5?
(a) Musical scores.
(d) Smoked meats.
3. In Chapter 4, why does Wole hide in the pantry?
(a) Wild Christian wants him to help her shop in town.
(b) Wild Christian wants to give him a sour-tasting medicine.
(c) Essay wants to hear him sing, and Wole does not want to sing.
(d) So St. Peter cannot spy on him from the roof.
4. Which of the following best describes the temperament of the new baby in Chapter 7?
(a) Boisterous and crying.
(b) Curious and intelligent.
(c) Endlessly hungry.
(d) Quiet and sickly.
5. What do Osiki and Wole initially have in common?
(a) They are physical neighbors.
(b) A love of the spoken word.
(c) A fondness for Tinu.
(d) A love of good food.
6. What is the popularly-held belief about the Bote troops?
(a) They are wild and lawless, and they raid villages.
(b) They are valorous, and will fight to the death in combat.
(c) They are spies for Hitler, and one must be very careful speaking around them.
(d) They are cowards and do not deserve the respect of the townspeople.
7. Who is Paa Adatan's stated enemy?
(a) The government of Nigeria.
(b) Adolf Hitler.
(d) Egungun, the earth spirit.
8. Who lives in BishopsCourt?
(a) The cleaning staff of the compound.
(b) Female students.
(c) Male teachers.
(d) It is a guest house for visiting dignitaries.
9. How might Wild Christian best be characterized?
(a) Quick-witted and gregarious.
(b) Stoop-shouldered and droopy-eyed.
(c) Boisterous and ill-tempered.
(d) Quiet, and thoughtful.
10. What does Wole believe about the pomegranate fruit in Chapter 1?
(a) That it is inhabited by the spirit of his ancestors.
(b) That it is the apple mentioned in the Bible that tempted Adam and Eve.
(c) That it is full of deadly poison.
(d) That it can cure his mother's cancer.
11. Who defeats Paa Adatan in Chapter 8?
(a) Wole and his cousin.
(b) A dozen townspeople.
(d) Bote troops.
12. How do the majority of Ake's residents react to the new radio?
(a) They start a collection to travel to see Milton Berle.
(b) The news causes hysteria in the town.
(c) They begin to write their own radio plays.
(d) The residents stage a series of all-night dance-a-thons.
13. What is the teacher's reaction to young Wole coming to school uninvited at the beginning of Chapter 2?
(a) The teacher is angered, and has a long talk with Essay.
(b) The teacher makes use of him by having him cut the grass.
(c) The teacher says Wole is welcome anytime.
(d) The teacher is so amused, Wole is asked to teach the day's lesson.
14. What is the name of Wole's great uncle?
(a) Reverend J. J. Ransome-Kuti.
(b) Pa Delumo.
(c) Paa Adatan.
15. Upon returning to Ake at the end of Chapter 3, what is the first thing Wole says?
(a) I am hungry.
(b) Who are you people?
(c) Osiki ate all the yam.
(d) Where is my dog?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Wole's hometown?
2. What is the occupation of the first white person Wole ever sees in Chapter 3?
3. In Chapter 1, how is Uncle Sanya cured of his spirit possession?
4. What are egungun?
5. Who is "Tinu?"
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)