Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Wole believe about the pomegranate fruit in Chapter 1?
(a) That it is full of deadly poison.
(b) That it can cure his mother's cancer.
(c) That it is the apple mentioned in the Bible that tempted Adam and Eve.
(d) That it is inhabited by the spirit of his ancestors.
2. Who or what is emi esu?
(a) A large, leafy plant.
(b) The tribal equivalent of the Devil.
(c) A respected village elder.
(d) A term of affection for a young woman.
3. Popularization of the radio in Chapter 8 has people around Ake saying what catch phrase?
(a) Win the War.
(b) Yuck Yuck! That's me!
(c) I'm a yankee doodle dandy.
(d) Take my wife, please!
4. How do the majority of Ake's residents react to the new radio?
(a) They begin to write their own radio plays.
(b) The residents stage a series of all-night dance-a-thons.
(c) The news causes hysteria in the town.
(d) They start a collection to travel to see Milton Berle.
5. In Chapter 4, why does Wole hide in the pantry?
(a) Essay wants to hear him sing, and Wole does not want to sing.
(b) Wild Christian wants him to help her shop in town.
(c) So St. Peter cannot spy on him from the roof.
(d) Wild Christian wants to give him a sour-tasting medicine.
6. Before Paa Adatan leaves the village in Chapter 8, what is his final act?
(a) He crushes a magical gourd with his boot.
(b) He draws a line in the sand and dares anyone in Ake to cross it.
(c) He speaks in tongues, and then convulses in a seizure.
(d) He gives an amulet to Wole.
7. What is a "saara?"
(a) A feast given as an offering to spirits.
(b) A blanket used in the winter months.
(c) A gathering of both boy and girl students.
(d) A tree with sweet-tasting sap.
8. Who is Headmaster of the Grammar School?
(a) Reverend J. J. Ransome-Kuti.
9. What is the name of Wole's great uncle?
(a) Reverend J. J. Ransome-Kuti.
(b) Pa Delumo.
(d) Paa Adatan.
10. What is the name of Wole's baby sister in Chapter 7?
(d) Wild Christian.
11. What is Wole's problem at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) The servant is bathing him in a rough fashion.
(b) He can't go to school, and wants to.
(c) He is lost in the town of Ibara.
(d) His home has run out of yams.
12. In Chapter 4, how does Wole counter the accusation that he has a fear of water?
(a) He pours a glass of water over himself.
(b) He tries to run away to the coast.
(c) He submerges himself in a water barrel for a minute and a half.
(d) He states that he loves to be out in the rain.
13. In Chapter 1, how is Uncle Sanya cured of his spirit possession?
(a) Uncle Sanya is confined in a hut for 2 months.
(b) The offending spirits are given food to placate them.
(c) Uncle Sanya is taken to a high mountain, where the spirits cannot reach.
(d) Uncle Sanya is drained of a pint of blood.
14. What are egungun?
(a) Candles used during religious ceremonies.
(b) Two-story houses common throughout Ake.
(c) The parsonage school's official rules of conduct.
(d) Mysterious ancestral spirits.
15. How did Essay get his name?
(a) Essay calls everyone by the familiar "Ese."
(b) His real initials are S.A., and Essay is a soundalike name.
(c) "Essay" is an onomatopoeia for the sound a snake makes, and Essay is mistrusted like a snake.
(d) He is a masterful writer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What "bad habit" does Wole admit to in Chapter 4?
2. What is the phrase Wole uses to describe the odor in Wild Christian's room?
3. In Chapter 2, what does Wole believe about St. Peter?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 2, what is Wole jealous of concerning Tinu?
5. Which is NOT one of the things a punished child is subject to, according to Wole in Chapter 6?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)