|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Wole's memorable experience the first time he ventures outside the parsonage's walls in Chapter 3?
(a) He sees a naked woman bathing.
(b) He is kidnapped by a homeless man.
(c) For the first time, he eats a delicious variety of pounded yam.
(d) He is exposed to a marching band.
2. What does "Mr. B" do for a living?
(a) He sells books.
(b) He teaches astronomy.
(c) He is a merchant of jewelry.
(d) He mends fences.
3. In Chapter 2, how does Wole entertain his guests during his fourth birthday party?
(b) Playing tag.
(c) Building a small house from strips of wood.
(d) Staging a swordfight with branches as swords.
4. How did Essay get his name?
(a) Essay calls everyone by the familiar "Ese."
(b) He is a masterful writer.
(c) "Essay" is an onomatopoeia for the sound a snake makes, and Essay is mistrusted like a snake.
(d) His real initials are S.A., and Essay is a soundalike name.
5. Why does Essay punish a teacher at school in Chapter 5?
(a) The teacher cut Essay's roses without Essay's permission.
(b) The teacher flirted with Wild Christian.
(c) The teacher physically punished a child too severely.
(d) The teacher came to school drunk.
6. Who defeats Paa Adatan in Chapter 8?
(b) A dozen townspeople.
(c) Wole and his cousin.
(d) Bote troops.
7. Who is "Tinu?"
(a) Wole's great aunt.
(b) Headmaster of the Grammar School.
(c) A local mystic.
(d) Wole's older sister.
8. What are egungun?
(a) The parsonage school's official rules of conduct.
(b) Two-story houses common throughout Ake.
(c) Candles used during religious ceremonies.
(d) Mysterious ancestral spirits.
9. What is the name of Wole's baby sister in Chapter 7?
(c) Wild Christian.
10. Who lives in BishopsCourt?
(a) The cleaning staff of the compound.
(b) Male teachers.
(c) It is a guest house for visiting dignitaries.
(d) Female students.
11. Wole begins the narrative starting when he was what age?
12. What is a "saara?"
(a) A gathering of both boy and girl students.
(b) A blanket used in the winter months.
(c) A tree with sweet-tasting sap.
(d) A feast given as an offering to spirits.
13. What accident does Wole cause when looking for gifts in the rafters of his home in Chapter 5?
(a) He nearly puts an eye out with a scythe.
(b) He breaks a window playing ball.
(c) He makes a hunting gun go off.
(d) He breaks his grandfather's big toe.
14. In Chapter 8, how does Wild Christian react to the coming of the Bote troops?
(a) Fearful of their reputation, she closes her shop for the day.
(b) She spits in a troop's face, and orders Paa Adatan to attack them.
(c) She invites them to her shop, and gives them steep discounts on her goods.
(d) She invites them to her shop, and charges them double.
15. What is an iyan?
(a) A pounded yam.
(b) A spirit child halfway between life and death.
(c) A bothersome biting insect.
(d) A see-saw playground toy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Wole decide to run away from home in Chapter 6?
2. What sin does Wole describe committing in Chapter 6?
3. Why does Wild Christian scold Wole during his birthday party in Chapter 2?
4. Why does Wole believe Mr. B spends so much time at Wole's family's house?
5. What is the phrase Wole uses to describe the odor in Wild Christian's room?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)