|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Paa Adatan wear a belt of amulets?
(a) To allow him to travel between the realms of life and death.
(b) To remind him of his dead wife.
(c) He wears an amulet for every Nazi he has killed.
(d) He believes they will deflect bullets and make him invincible.
2. What is Wole's memorable experience the first time he ventures outside the parsonage's walls in Chapter 3?
(a) He is kidnapped by a homeless man.
(b) He sees a naked woman bathing.
(c) For the first time, he eats a delicious variety of pounded yam.
(d) He is exposed to a marching band.
3. What accident does Wole suffer on his birthday in Chapter 2?
(a) He nearly drowns during his beachside party.
(b) His foot is broken when it is run over by an automobile tire.
(c) While playing see-saw, Wole falls and hurts his head.
(d) He gets into a fight and receives two black eyes.
4. In Chapter 1, how is Uncle Sanya cured of his spirit possession?
(a) Uncle Sanya is confined in a hut for 2 months.
(b) The offending spirits are given food to placate them.
(c) Uncle Sanya is drained of a pint of blood.
(d) Uncle Sanya is taken to a high mountain, where the spirits cannot reach.
5. After Paa Adatan's conflict with troops in Chapter 8, which term best describes his emotional state?
6. What is the name of Wole's family servant?
(c) Wild Christian.
7. Why does Wild Christian admonish Essay at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) Essay is indulging Wole too often with sweet treats.
(b) Essay is beating Wole unnecessarily.
(c) Wole is making mischief, and Essay is doing nothing to stop him.
(d) Essay is instilling an argumentative spirit in Wole.
8. Wole begins the narrative starting when he was what age?
9. What are egungun?
(a) The parsonage school's official rules of conduct.
(b) Candles used during religious ceremonies.
(c) Two-story houses common throughout Ake.
(d) Mysterious ancestral spirits.
10. What is NOT one of the changes Wole notices prior to his baby sister's birth?
(a) The sleeping mat was moved to another room.
(b) The furniture was rearranged.
(c) Real milk was substituted for powdered milk.
(d) Essay always looking worried.
11. Why do the children make fun of "You-Mean-Mayself"?
(a) His bulging eyes.
(b) His thick accent.
(c) His bushy moustache.
(d) His great bulk.
12. Popularization of the radio in Chapter 8 has people around Ake saying what catch phrase?
(a) Take my wife, please!
(b) I'm a yankee doodle dandy.
(c) Yuck Yuck! That's me!
(d) Win the War.
13. What does "Mr. B" do for a living?
(a) He mends fences.
(b) He is a merchant of jewelry.
(c) He teaches astronomy.
(d) He sells books.
14. When Wole sleeps with the other children in Chapter 6, what kind of nightmare does he have?
(a) He dreams snakes are attacking him.
(b) He dreams he is falling down a waterfall.
(c) He dreams a 12-foot-tall ogre is chasing him.
(d) He dreams he is in a labyrinth and cannot find a way out.
15. What causes Wole to experience a bad eye accident in Chapter 2?
(a) A pen.
(b) A scythe.
(c) A rusty nail.
(d) A javelin.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what does Wole believe about St. Peter?
2. What do people call Wole's grandfather?
3. Who saves Wole from a savage beating at the end of Chapter 5?
4. What trouble does You-Mean-Mayself cause Essay and the household?
5. What is an "abiku?"
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)