|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is "Tinu?"
(a) Wole's older sister.
(b) Headmaster of the Grammar School.
(c) A local mystic.
(d) Wole's great aunt.
2. What is Wole's problem at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) He can't go to school, and wants to.
(b) His home has run out of yams.
(c) The servant is bathing him in a rough fashion.
(d) He is lost in the town of Ibara.
3. After Paa Adatan's conflict with troops in Chapter 8, which term best describes his emotional state?
4. Who does Wole initially believe the drunken soldier in Chapter 8 to be?
(a) His long-lost brother.
(b) Uncle Sanya.
(c) Adolf Hitler.
(d) Wild Christian.
5. Why does Wild Christian scold Wole during his birthday party in Chapter 2?
(a) Wole's singing was too loud and off key.
(b) Wole did not tell her he was planning a party with so many guests.
(c) Wole brought a rabbit home.
(d) Wole got pomegranate juice all over the floor and table.
6. What do Osiki and Wole initially have in common?
(a) A love of good food.
(b) They are physical neighbors.
(c) A fondness for Tinu.
(d) A love of the spoken word.
7. What was contained in Father's "mystery parcels" in Chapter 5?
(a) Musical scores.
(c) Smoked meats.
8. How might Wild Christian best be characterized?
(a) Quiet, and thoughtful.
(b) Boisterous and ill-tempered.
(c) Quick-witted and gregarious.
(d) Stoop-shouldered and droopy-eyed.
9. In Chapter 4, why does Wole hide in the pantry?
(a) So St. Peter cannot spy on him from the roof.
(b) Wild Christian wants him to help her shop in town.
(c) Wild Christian wants to give him a sour-tasting medicine.
(d) Essay wants to hear him sing, and Wole does not want to sing.
10. Why is Wole mad at his Sunday School teacher at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) The teacher called him "stinky" for not bathing.
(b) The teacher is forcing him to learn a Psalm verse.
(c) The teacher did not give him any juice at lunch.
(d) The teacher called attention to his favorite rock.
11. How do the majority of Ake's residents react to the new radio?
(a) They begin to write their own radio plays.
(b) They start a collection to travel to see Milton Berle.
(c) The news causes hysteria in the town.
(d) The residents stage a series of all-night dance-a-thons.
12. Why does Wild Christian admonish Essay at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) Essay is indulging Wole too often with sweet treats.
(b) Wole is making mischief, and Essay is doing nothing to stop him.
(c) Essay is instilling an argumentative spirit in Wole.
(d) Essay is beating Wole unnecessarily.
13. Which is NOT one of the things a punished child is subject to, according to Wole in Chapter 6?
(a) The child is whipped.
(b) The child is paraded around town.
(c) The child is made to dance to look foolish.
(d) The child is deprived of food until near starvation.
14. In Chapter 1, how is Uncle Sanya cured of his spirit possession?
(a) Uncle Sanya is taken to a high mountain, where the spirits cannot reach.
(b) The offending spirits are given food to placate them.
(c) Uncle Sanya is confined in a hut for 2 months.
(d) Uncle Sanya is drained of a pint of blood.
15. At the beginning of Chapter 2, what is Wole jealous of concerning Tinu?
(a) That she has shoes, and he does not.
(b) That she can split a pomegranate, and he can not.
(c) That she gets the choicest morsels of bread, and he is stuck with hard crust.
(d) That she goes to school, and that he is too young to go.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, how does Wole manage to get back home to Ake?
2. What subject dominates the radio waves in Chapter 8?
3. What does Wole believe about the pomegranate fruit in Chapter 1?
4. Popularization of the radio in Chapter 8 has people around Ake saying what catch phrase?
5. Why does Mrs. B punish her maid in Chapter 6?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)