|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Wole destroy the family's roses at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) He destroyed the roses on a dare from Osiki.
(b) He was getting back at Essay for beating him earlier.
(c) He thought Wild Christian needed roses for her famous stew.
(d) Waving a vegetable stalk, he imagined a swordfight, and got carried away.
2. Who saves Wole from a savage beating at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) Wild Christian.
(d) Mr. B.
3. Why does Mrs. B punish her maid in Chapter 6?
(a) The maid stole the sugar jar.
(b) The maid wet her bed.
(c) The maid was caught kissing a boy.
(d) The maid did not clean the bathroom correctly.
4. In Chapter 7, how does Wole regard Mrs. Odufuwa?
(a) He enjoys Mrs. Odufuwa's cooking greatly.
(b) He believes Mrs. Odufuwa is the most beautiful woman on earth.
(c) He hates Mrs. Odufuwa for her rough bathing sessions.
(d) He fears Mrs. Odufuwa, because he thinks she is a witch.
5. Who is Paa Adatan's stated enemy?
(b) The government of Nigeria.
(c) Egungun, the earth spirit.
(d) Adolf Hitler.
6. What does "Mr. B" do for a living?
(a) He is a merchant of jewelry.
(b) He sells books.
(c) He teaches astronomy.
(d) He mends fences.
7. Which of the following best describes the temperament of the new baby in Chapter 7?
(a) Curious and intelligent.
(b) Endlessly hungry.
(c) Boisterous and crying.
(d) Quiet and sickly.
8. In Chapter 4, how does Wole counter the accusation that he has a fear of water?
(a) He pours a glass of water over himself.
(b) He submerges himself in a water barrel for a minute and a half.
(c) He states that he loves to be out in the rain.
(d) He tries to run away to the coast.
9. What trouble does You-Mean-Mayself cause Essay and the household?
(a) He steals the radio.
(b) He refuses to pay back a significant loan.
(c) He plays his accordion at all hours of the night.
(d) He mooches food from the family.
10. Who is the only member of Wole's extended family who is angry for him wandering off in Chapter 3?
(a) Mrs. B.
(c) Wild Christian.
11. What do Osiki and Wole initially have in common?
(a) They are physical neighbors.
(b) A love of good food.
(c) A love of the spoken word.
(d) A fondness for Tinu.
12. In Chapter 8, who frees Paa Adatan after he is captured?
(a) Uncle Dipo.
(b) Mr. B.
(c) Wild Christian.
13. At the end of Chapter 8, younger brother Dipo is given what new name?
(b) Wole Jr.
14. What is NOT one of the changes Wole notices prior to his baby sister's birth?
(a) Real milk was substituted for powdered milk.
(b) The sleeping mat was moved to another room.
(c) Essay always looking worried.
(d) The furniture was rearranged.
15. In Chapter 3, how does Wole manage to get back home to Ake?
(a) He is taken on the handlebars of a bike.
(b) He is taken by train.
(c) He is carried in the arms of a police officer.
(d) He is taken by boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the occupation of the first white person Wole ever sees in Chapter 3?
2. What is Wole's memorable experience the first time he ventures outside the parsonage's walls in Chapter 3?
3. Why does Paa Adatan wear a belt of amulets?
4. What action taken by the drunken soldier in Chapter 8 enrages Wole?
5. What does Wole believe about the pomegranate fruit in Chapter 1?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)