|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is an "oro"?
(a) A flat shoe.
(b) A type of Nigerian currency.
(c) A tribal tattoo.
(d) A nature spirit.
2. In Chapter 4, why does Wole hide in the pantry?
(a) So St. Peter cannot spy on him from the roof.
(b) Essay wants to hear him sing, and Wole does not want to sing.
(c) Wild Christian wants to give him a sour-tasting medicine.
(d) Wild Christian wants him to help her shop in town.
3. What are ghommids?
(a) Forest creatures which hunt for children.
(b) Gifts provided to the parents of a woman of marriageable age.
(c) Mystical fruits that grant immortality.
(d) Fashionable shoes that schoolchildren wear.
4. Why does Wild Christian admonish Essay at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) Wole is making mischief, and Essay is doing nothing to stop him.
(b) Essay is instilling an argumentative spirit in Wole.
(c) Essay is beating Wole unnecessarily.
(d) Essay is indulging Wole too often with sweet treats.
5. In Chapter 7, what is Wole's baby sister dressed in when she is buried?
(a) A dress made of scraps of cloth from the villagers.
(b) A white dress.
(c) Many pieces of jewelry.
(d) She is buried without clothes.
6. What "bad habit" does Wole admit to in Chapter 4?
(a) Sloppiness while eating a pomegranate fruit.
(b) Crossing his heart for no reason when crossing the street.
(c) Making a loud clucking sound with his tongue at inappropriate times.
(d) Dipping his fingers in the Wash-Hand Basin.
7. Why is Wole mad at his Sunday School teacher at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) The teacher is forcing him to learn a Psalm verse.
(b) The teacher called attention to his favorite rock.
(c) The teacher did not give him any juice at lunch.
(d) The teacher called him "stinky" for not bathing.
8. Who or what is "Jonah"?
(a) The area behind Wole's house.
(b) The family home's welcome mat.
(c) The name given to a large rock outside the church.
(d) Wole's imaginary friend.
9. What action taken by the drunken soldier in Chapter 8 enrages Wole?
(a) The soldier urinates in the family's outside well.
(b) The soldier mocks Wole for being weak and cowardly.
(c) The soldier cusses at Wild Christian.
(d) The soldier damages Essay's rose bush.
10. Which is NOT a name given to the master of Wole's parsonage compound?
(c) Pa Delumo.
(d) Wild Man.
11. Who defeats Paa Adatan in Chapter 8?
(b) Bote troops.
(c) A dozen townspeople.
(d) Wole and his cousin.
12. What accident does Wole cause when looking for gifts in the rafters of his home in Chapter 5?
(a) He breaks his grandfather's big toe.
(b) He breaks a window playing ball.
(c) He nearly puts an eye out with a scythe.
(d) He makes a hunting gun go off.
13. What is a "saara?"
(a) A tree with sweet-tasting sap.
(b) A feast given as an offering to spirits.
(c) A gathering of both boy and girl students.
(d) A blanket used in the winter months.
14. In Chapter 2, what does Wole believe about St. Peter?
(a) St. Peter lives on Wole's roof and is always spying on him.
(b) St. Peter is responsible for the beautiful music he hears every morning.
(c) St. Peter is an ancestral spirit that can be conversed with.
(d) St. Peter is the source of his constant hunger.
15. What is the teacher's reaction to young Wole coming to school uninvited at the beginning of Chapter 2?
(a) The teacher makes use of him by having him cut the grass.
(b) The teacher is angered, and has a long talk with Essay.
(c) The teacher says Wole is welcome anytime.
(d) The teacher is so amused, Wole is asked to teach the day's lesson.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the majority of Ake's residents react to the new radio?
2. Who is the only member of Wole's extended family who is angry for him wandering off in Chapter 3?
3. What accident does Wole suffer on his birthday in Chapter 2?
4. Why does Paa Adatan wear a belt of amulets?
5. What is the occupation of the first white person Wole ever sees in Chapter 3?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)