|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are ghommids?
(a) Gifts provided to the parents of a woman of marriageable age.
(b) Forest creatures which hunt for children.
(c) Mystical fruits that grant immortality.
(d) Fashionable shoes that schoolchildren wear.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 2, what is Wole jealous of concerning Tinu?
(a) That she has shoes, and he does not.
(b) That she can split a pomegranate, and he can not.
(c) That she gets the choicest morsels of bread, and he is stuck with hard crust.
(d) That she goes to school, and that he is too young to go.
3. In Chapter 7, how does Wole regard Mrs. Odufuwa?
(a) He enjoys Mrs. Odufuwa's cooking greatly.
(b) He fears Mrs. Odufuwa, because he thinks she is a witch.
(c) He hates Mrs. Odufuwa for her rough bathing sessions.
(d) He believes Mrs. Odufuwa is the most beautiful woman on earth.
4. Who is "Tinu?"
(a) A local mystic.
(b) Wole's older sister.
(c) Headmaster of the Grammar School.
(d) Wole's great aunt.
5. In Chapter 2, how does Wole entertain his guests during his fourth birthday party?
(a) Staging a swordfight with branches as swords.
(b) Playing tag.
(d) Building a small house from strips of wood.
6. In Chapter 1, what punishment is given to young Wild Christian and Sanya for trespassing into the woods?
(a) They are deprived of food for a week.
(b) They are given half a dozen lashes apiece.
(c) They are expelled from school.
(d) They are both forced to eat a powerful pepper plant.
7. What is the name of Wole's family servant?
(c) Wild Christian.
8. Who saves Wole from a savage beating at the end of Chapter 5?
(b) Mr. B.
(d) Wild Christian.
9. What is Wole's nickname for the new radio in Chapter 8?
(a) The spirit in the box.
(b) The prophet of universal information.
(c) One who speaks without expecting a reply.
(d) One with the scratchy voice.
10. In Chapter 4, why does Wole hide in the pantry?
(a) Wild Christian wants him to help her shop in town.
(b) So St. Peter cannot spy on him from the roof.
(c) Essay wants to hear him sing, and Wole does not want to sing.
(d) Wild Christian wants to give him a sour-tasting medicine.
11. Why does Essay punish a teacher at school in Chapter 5?
(a) The teacher came to school drunk.
(b) The teacher physically punished a child too severely.
(c) The teacher flirted with Wild Christian.
(d) The teacher cut Essay's roses without Essay's permission.
12. Why does Wild Christian admonish Essay at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) Essay is instilling an argumentative spirit in Wole.
(b) Essay is beating Wole unnecessarily.
(c) Wole is making mischief, and Essay is doing nothing to stop him.
(d) Essay is indulging Wole too often with sweet treats.
13. What is NOT one of the changes Wole notices prior to his baby sister's birth?
(a) The furniture was rearranged.
(b) Real milk was substituted for powdered milk.
(c) Essay always looking worried.
(d) The sleeping mat was moved to another room.
14. Popularization of the radio in Chapter 8 has people around Ake saying what catch phrase?
(a) I'm a yankee doodle dandy.
(b) Take my wife, please!
(c) Yuck Yuck! That's me!
(d) Win the War.
15. What does Bukola do to get her way with her father?
(a) She punches him on his arm.
(b) She fakes trances.
(c) She cries.
(d) She sits on the ground and won't budge.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the temperament of the new baby in Chapter 7?
2. At the end of Chapter 8, younger brother Dipo is given what new name?
3. What is an "oro"?
4. What sin does Wole describe committing in Chapter 6?
5. What activity did Wole do every New Year?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)