|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Paa Adatan wear a belt of amulets?
(a) He believes they will deflect bullets and make him invincible.
(b) He wears an amulet for every Nazi he has killed.
(c) To remind him of his dead wife.
(d) To allow him to travel between the realms of life and death.
2. What is Wole's nickname for the new radio in Chapter 8?
(a) One with the scratchy voice.
(b) The spirit in the box.
(c) One who speaks without expecting a reply.
(d) The prophet of universal information.
3. What is the occupation of the first white person Wole ever sees in Chapter 3?
(b) Police officer.
4. At the beginning of Chapter 2, what is Wole jealous of concerning Tinu?
(a) That she has shoes, and he does not.
(b) That she can split a pomegranate, and he can not.
(c) That she gets the choicest morsels of bread, and he is stuck with hard crust.
(d) That she goes to school, and that he is too young to go.
5. In Chapter 3, how does Wole manage to get back home to Ake?
(a) He is carried in the arms of a police officer.
(b) He is taken by train.
(c) He is taken on the handlebars of a bike.
(d) He is taken by boat.
6. What activity did Wole do every New Year?
(a) Wole took a day-long walking trip around Ake.
(b) Wole visited a soup kitchen and volunteered.
(c) Wole attended a long church service.
(d) Wole visited his grandparents in Isara.
7. What is the phrase Wole uses to describe the odor in Wild Christian's room?
(a) Given to change like a chameleon.
(b) Sweet and airy like a cake.
(c) A riot of smells.
(d) Hot, humid, and sticky.
8. What does "Mr. B" do for a living?
(a) He is a merchant of jewelry.
(b) He mends fences.
(c) He teaches astronomy.
(d) He sells books.
9. What is an "oro"?
(a) A nature spirit.
(b) A type of Nigerian currency.
(c) A tribal tattoo.
(d) A flat shoe.
10. In Chapter 8, who frees Paa Adatan after he is captured?
(a) Wild Christian.
(b) Uncle Dipo.
(c) Mr. B.
11. What is the popularly-held belief about the Bote troops?
(a) They are valorous, and will fight to the death in combat.
(b) They are wild and lawless, and they raid villages.
(c) They are cowards and do not deserve the respect of the townspeople.
(d) They are spies for Hitler, and one must be very careful speaking around them.
12. At the end of Chapter 8, younger brother Dipo is given what new name?
(a) Wole Jr.
13. What "job" is Wole given at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) Wole is asked to keep an eye on mischievous Osiki.
(b) Wole is given responsibility for tending the backyard roses.
(c) Wole is given responsibility for distributing an underground newspaper.
(d) Wole is put in charge of making sure no sugar is missing from the sugar jar.
14. What do Osiki and Wole initially have in common?
(a) A love of good food.
(b) They are physical neighbors.
(c) A fondness for Tinu.
(d) A love of the spoken word.
15. What do people call Wole's grandfather?
(b) Saara Joe.
(c) Mr. Iyan
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Wole mad at his Sunday School teacher at the beginning of Chapter 5?
2. What trouble does You-Mean-Mayself cause Essay and the household?
3. Why does Wole destroy the family's roses at the end of Chapter 5?
4. What debate do Wole and Essay get into at the beginning of Chapter 4?
5. Which is NOT one of the things a punished child is subject to, according to Wole in Chapter 6?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)