|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 8, younger brother Dipo is given what new name?
(a) Wole Jr.
2. How do the majority of Ake's residents react to the new radio?
(a) The residents stage a series of all-night dance-a-thons.
(b) The news causes hysteria in the town.
(c) They start a collection to travel to see Milton Berle.
(d) They begin to write their own radio plays.
3. Who saves Wole from a savage beating at the end of Chapter 5?
(b) Wild Christian.
(c) Mr. B.
4. What debate do Wole and Essay get into at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) Whether the compound is the correct place to raise a child.
(b) Whether there is a difference between water and rain.
(c) Whether there is a difference between clouds and fog.
(d) Whether rubbing harder on the skin gets it any cleaner.
5. What name does Mrs. Odufuwa give Wole?
(a) Froo Froo.
6. In Chapter 4, how does Wole counter the accusation that he has a fear of water?
(a) He pours a glass of water over himself.
(b) He tries to run away to the coast.
(c) He submerges himself in a water barrel for a minute and a half.
(d) He states that he loves to be out in the rain.
7. Who is Paa Adatan's stated enemy?
(a) Egungun, the earth spirit.
(b) Adolf Hitler.
(c) The government of Nigeria.
8. What do Essay and Christian accuse the maid of in Chapter 7?
(a) Having sex with a young man when they were away.
(b) Dropping the new baby.
(c) Not cleaning the sleeping mat.
(d) Stealing powdered milk.
9. What is the name of Wole's family servant?
(b) Wild Christian.
10. What is a "saara?"
(a) A feast given as an offering to spirits.
(b) A tree with sweet-tasting sap.
(c) A gathering of both boy and girl students.
(d) A blanket used in the winter months.
11. After Paa Adatan's conflict with troops in Chapter 8, which term best describes his emotional state?
12. In Chapter 8, how does Wild Christian react to the coming of the Bote troops?
(a) She spits in a troop's face, and orders Paa Adatan to attack them.
(b) Fearful of their reputation, she closes her shop for the day.
(c) She invites them to her shop, and gives them steep discounts on her goods.
(d) She invites them to her shop, and charges them double.
13. In Chapter 1, what punishment is given to young Wild Christian and Sanya for trespassing into the woods?
(a) They are deprived of food for a week.
(b) They are both forced to eat a powerful pepper plant.
(c) They are given half a dozen lashes apiece.
(d) They are expelled from school.
14. How might Wild Christian best be characterized?
(a) Quiet, and thoughtful.
(b) Quick-witted and gregarious.
(c) Stoop-shouldered and droopy-eyed.
(d) Boisterous and ill-tempered.
15. Why does Essay punish a teacher at school in Chapter 5?
(a) The teacher came to school drunk.
(b) The teacher flirted with Wild Christian.
(c) The teacher physically punished a child too severely.
(d) The teacher cut Essay's roses without Essay's permission.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, what is Wole's baby sister dressed in when she is buried?
2. Why does Wild Christian admonish Essay at the beginning of Chapter 4?
3. What is the teacher's reaction to young Wole coming to school uninvited at the beginning of Chapter 2?
4. Which of the following best describes the temperament of the new baby in Chapter 7?
5. What is an "abiku?"
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)