|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 4 and 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is an "abiku?"
(a) A spirit child halfway between the dead and living.
(b) A light breeze said to be an omen of luck and good fortune.
(c) A fearsome goat-demon said to haunt farmers.
(d) A pejorative term for someone who gossips.
2. Who or what is "Jonah"?
(a) Wole's imaginary friend.
(b) The family home's welcome mat.
(c) The name given to a large rock outside the church.
(d) The area behind Wole's house.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 2, what is Wole jealous of concerning Tinu?
(a) That she gets the choicest morsels of bread, and he is stuck with hard crust.
(b) That she goes to school, and that he is too young to go.
(c) That she can split a pomegranate, and he can not.
(d) That she has shoes, and he does not.
4. How did Essay get his name?
(a) His real initials are S.A., and Essay is a soundalike name.
(b) He is a masterful writer.
(c) "Essay" is an onomatopoeia for the sound a snake makes, and Essay is mistrusted like a snake.
(d) Essay calls everyone by the familiar "Ese."
5. What are ghommids?
(a) Fashionable shoes that schoolchildren wear.
(b) Mystical fruits that grant immortality.
(c) Forest creatures which hunt for children.
(d) Gifts provided to the parents of a woman of marriageable age.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is "Tinu?"
2. What are egungun?
3. Who saves Wole from a savage beating at the end of Chapter 5?
4. In Chapter 1, what punishment is given to young Wild Christian and Sanya for trespassing into the woods?
5. Who is the only member of Wole's extended family who is angry for him wandering off in Chapter 3?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)