|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 2 and 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are egungun?
(a) The parsonage school's official rules of conduct.
(b) Mysterious ancestral spirits.
(c) Two-story houses common throughout Ake.
(d) Candles used during religious ceremonies.
2. What do Osiki and Wole initially have in common?
(a) A fondness for Tinu.
(b) They are physical neighbors.
(c) A love of the spoken word.
(d) A love of good food.
3. How did Essay get his name?
(a) Essay calls everyone by the familiar "Ese."
(b) "Essay" is an onomatopoeia for the sound a snake makes, and Essay is mistrusted like a snake.
(c) He is a masterful writer.
(d) His real initials are S.A., and Essay is a soundalike name.
4. What is an "oro"?
(a) A type of Nigerian currency.
(b) A flat shoe.
(c) A nature spirit.
(d) A tribal tattoo.
5. What is an "abiku?"
(a) A light breeze said to be an omen of luck and good fortune.
(b) A fearsome goat-demon said to haunt farmers.
(c) A spirit child halfway between the dead and living.
(d) A pejorative term for someone who gossips.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an iyan?
2. Who is Headmaster of the Grammar School?
3. Wole begins the narrative starting when he was what age?
4. What is Wole's memorable experience the first time he ventures outside the parsonage's walls in Chapter 3?
5. What is the occupation of the first white person Wole ever sees in Chapter 3?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)