|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 4 and 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 1, what punishment is given to young Wild Christian and Sanya for trespassing into the woods?
(a) They are deprived of food for a week.
(b) They are expelled from school.
(c) They are given half a dozen lashes apiece.
(d) They are both forced to eat a powerful pepper plant.
2. How did Essay get his name?
(a) He is a masterful writer.
(b) "Essay" is an onomatopoeia for the sound a snake makes, and Essay is mistrusted like a snake.
(c) Essay calls everyone by the familiar "Ese."
(d) His real initials are S.A., and Essay is a soundalike name.
3. Who is Headmaster of the Grammar School?
(a) Reverend J. J. Ransome-Kuti.
4. What are egungun?
(a) Candles used during religious ceremonies.
(b) Mysterious ancestral spirits.
(c) The parsonage school's official rules of conduct.
(d) Two-story houses common throughout Ake.
5. At the beginning of Chapter 2, what is Wole jealous of concerning Tinu?
(a) That she goes to school, and that he is too young to go.
(b) That she can split a pomegranate, and he can not.
(c) That she gets the choicest morsels of bread, and he is stuck with hard crust.
(d) That she has shoes, and he does not.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, why does Wole hide in the pantry?
2. How might Wild Christian best be characterized?
3. What does Bukola do to get her way with her father?
4. What are ghommids?
5. What is an "abiku?"
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)