|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the messenger, if Calchas' prophecy doesn't come true, then what is Calchas?
2. The messenger tells a story to the Chorus that shows Ajax has what quality?
3. What is Ajax carrying when he enters in Part III?
4. What are some of the normal events, that take place off stage, that the messengers bring word of?
5. What purpose does the messenger serve in Classical Greek theater?
Essay Topic 1
What, according to the characters in the play, are important qualities in friendship? What role does friendship have in the play? Cite specific examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What two types of authority are in conflict in this play, and what does the conflict mean for the characters in the play? Use the play to find examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How do Odysseus and Ajax present different qualities of a warrior? What are those qualities, and what do they mean for the actions of the characters? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)