|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ajax's wife cover Ajax's body with?
2. How has Ajax planted his sword in the ground?
3. Who made the prophecy the messenger refers to?
4. Why is acting out of revenge considered foolish?
5. By struggling against a prophecy, the characters are struggling against what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What two types of authority are in conflict in this play, and what does the conflict mean for the characters in the play? Use the play to find examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Why does the suicide of Ajax occur halfway through the play? What takes up the later part of the play? What did Sophocles mean by this? Support your answer with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
How do the actions of Ajax symbolize the struggles of man against Fate, which is a theme in the play? Support your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)