|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says: Men of ill judgment oft ignore the good /That lies within their hands, till they have lost it.
2. What was Ajax's state of mind at his death?
3. What purpose does the messenger serve in Classical Greek theater?
4. When Ajax leaves their presence, the Chorus rejoices in his what?
5. What is the term used to describe a speech given by a character alone on stage, normally inwardly directed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cite examples from the play to support your answer to the following question: How does this play portray the relationship between the gods and man?
Essay Topic 2
How do Odysseus and Ajax present different qualities of a warrior? What are those qualities, and what do they mean for the actions of the characters? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How does this play show that suffering can be ennobling for mankind? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 201 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)