|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Part III, Tecmessa realizes that Ajax has done what to her?
2. Who made the prophecy the messenger refers to?
3. What does Ajax say the following words are: Foes' gifts are no gifts: profit bring they none?
4. By struggling against a prophecy, the characters are struggling against what?
5. What does Ajax mention doing to the sword during his soliloquy before his death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What two types of authority are in conflict in this play, and what does the conflict mean for the characters in the play? Use the play to find examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does this play show that suffering can be ennobling for mankind? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How do Odysseus and Ajax present different qualities of a warrior? What are those qualities, and what do they mean for the actions of the characters? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 207 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)