|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What direction does the Chorus move when singing the strophe?
2. Who does Ajax tell Athena that he thinks he has captured, and will torture?
3. When Tecmessa confirms, to the Chorus, that Ajax slaughtered cattle, what does the Chorus say it might be time to do?
4. What time of day is it at the beginning of the play?
5. What will happen to the rest of Ajax's armor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ajax tell the Chorus he plans to do since Tecmessa has awakened his pity?
2. Why does Ajax tell the Chorus that he is prepared to make peace with Agamemnon and Menelaus?
3. How does Ajax plan to use the sword to kill himself?
4. Why does the Chorus believe that Ajax would be better off dead?
5. When the Chorus first appears, what do they say and why?
6. How is the theme of honor brought up in the first lines of the Chorus?
7. Describe Odysseus.
8. How, and why, does Tecmessa hide Ajax's body from the Chorus?
9. What does Ajax do with his armor, and why?
10. While the search for Ajax is occurring, what does Teucer do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the cycle of revenge and destruction? How does this cycle affect the events in the play? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What two types of authority are in conflict in this play, and what does the conflict mean for the characters in the play? Use the play to find examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What, according to the characters in the play, are important qualities in friendship? What role does friendship have in the play? Cite specific examples from the story to support your answer.
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)