|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Athena appear from at the beginning of the play?
2. What does the Chorus call the mood that Ajax is in during Part II?
3. How does Athena first refer to Odysseus?
4. What is the strophe?
5. What device is used, in Part II, to indicate that Ajax will die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Teucer tell Tecmessa to do with Ajax's body, after he places Eurysaces besides the body?
2. What is the story the messenger tells of Ajax's youth?
3. Why does Odysseus pity Ajax?
4. What is Ajax's state of mind right before he kills himself?
5. Why does Athena offer to bring Ajax out of his tent?
6. What does the Chorus foreshadow in Part 2?
7. How, and why, does Tecmessa hide Ajax's body from the Chorus?
8. What does Ajax pray for before leaving the Chorus onstage?
9. What does the Chorus lament, now that Ajax is dead?
10. What is the Chorus?
Essay Topic 1
Odysseus, Agamemnon, and Menelaus are all kings. What aspects of a good, or bad, king does each character represent and why? Support your answer with specific examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
What are the different types of honor in the play, and how does honor resolve, or not resolve, all the conflicts at the end of the play? Support your answer with specific examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
What is the values system that the warriors in the play operate under? What do Ajax's actions mean, in light of that code? Support your answer with examples from the book.
This section contains 1,178 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)