|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Chorus call the mood that Ajax is in during Part II?
2. Who is Tecmessa?
3. Who does Ajax feel has done him an injustice?
4. What is Menelaus' title?
5. Who says, "As God appoints, so every man laughs or laments?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Chorus lament, now that Ajax is dead?
2. What does Tecmessa think that Menelaus and Agamemnon will regret?
3. How did Ajax betray the Greeks, according to Menelaus?
4. Why does Ajax tell the Chorus that he is prepared to make peace with Agamemnon and Menelaus?
5. Why does Ajax list the ways he thinks his honor has been destroyed?
6. What does Ajax tell the Chorus he plans to do since Tecmessa has awakened his pity?
7. What does Ajax tell Eurysaces when he is brought out of hiding by his mother and two attendants?
8. When the Chorus calls for Tecmessa, after Teucer has arrived, what does the messenger tell Tecmessa?
9. Who does the Chorus condemn, after Ajax has died, and why is the Chorus condemning them?
10. Why does Ajax refuse to go home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What, according to the characters in the play, are important qualities in friendship? What role does friendship have in the play? Cite specific examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is the symbolism of armor and swords in the play? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is the values system that the warriors in the play operate under? What do Ajax's actions mean, in light of that code? Support your answer with examples from the book.
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)