|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What traditional element of Classical Greek theater consists of a number of actors speaking with a single voice?
2. What does Athena say she will do to Odysseus before having Ajax appear?
3. What direction does the Chorus move when singing the strophe?
4. Who is the only warrior greater than Ajax?
5. Who does Ajax think Achilles would have wanted to have his things?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ajax pray for before leaving the Chorus onstage?
2. Before he dies, what are some of the things that Ajax prays for?
3. What is the general purpose of a messenger in Classical Greek theater?
4. Who does the Chorus condemn, after Ajax has died, and why is the Chorus condemning them?
5. Why is Odysseus standing outside of Ajax's tent at the beginning of the play?
6. How does Ajax plan to use the sword to kill himself?
7. Why does Ajax list the ways he thinks his honor has been destroyed?
8. What does the Chorus foreshadow in Part 2?
9. How did Ajax betray the Greeks, according to Menelaus?
10. What started the Trojan War?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Ajax deserve his fate? Why or why not? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How do the actions of Ajax symbolize the struggles of man against Fate, which is a theme in the play? Support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
What, according to the characters in the play, are important qualities in friendship? What role does friendship have in the play? Cite specific examples from the story to support your answer.
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)