|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which side is Ajax fighting on?
2. What does Athena say she will do to Odysseus before having Ajax appear?
3. What is the antistrophe?
4. When is this play set?
5. Who confirms Odysseus' suspicions that Ajax slaughtered a herd of cattle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ajax's betrayal earn him, according to Menelaus?
2. What is the tone of Ajax's long speech about his honor in Part 2?
3. How did Ajax betray the Greeks, according to Menelaus?
4. What does Teucer think is Hector's revenge?
5. What would happen to Tecmessa if Ajax killed himself and why?
6. Why does the Chorus suggest that it is time the Chorus members flee?
7. Why does Ajax tell the Chorus that he is prepared to make peace with Agamemnon and Menelaus?
8. What does Athena say is the warning embodied by Ajax's behavior?
9. What does the prophecy by Calchas say?
10. Describe Odysseus.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do the various speeches in the play suggest about how the characters in the play view a hero? Why? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Using specific examples from the text, show how Sophocles uses foreshadowing in this play.
Essay Topic 3
Why does the suicide of Ajax occur halfway through the play? What takes up the later part of the play? What did Sophocles mean by this? Support your answer with examples from the play.
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)