Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Athena appear from at the beginning of the play?
2. What does the Chorus call the mood that Ajax is in during Part II?
3. How does Athena first refer to Odysseus?
4. What is the strophe?
5. What device is used, in Part II, to indicate that Ajax will die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Teucer tell Tecmessa to do with Ajax's body, after he places Eurysaces besides the body?
2. What is the story the messenger tells of Ajax's youth?
3. Why does Odysseus pity Ajax?
4. What is Ajax's state of mind right before he kills himself?
5. Why does Athena offer to bring Ajax out of his tent?
6. What does the Chorus foreshadow in Part 2?
7. How, and why, does Tecmessa hide Ajax's body from the Chorus?
8. What does Ajax pray for before leaving the Chorus onstage?
9. What does the Chorus lament, now that Ajax is dead?
10. What is the Chorus?
Essay Topic 1
How do Odysseus and Ajax present different qualities of a warrior? What are those qualities, and what do they mean for the actions of the characters? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Using the book to support your answer; what is hubris, and what role does it have in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss whether you agree or disagree, and why, with the following statement: The play just peters out at the end without a true ending.
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)