|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During Ajax's long speech in Part II, what does he feel has been destroyed?
2. Who says, "As God appoints, so every man laughs or laments?"
3. What does the Chorus think should "hide one who is sick in soul"?
4. Tecmessa assures the Chorus that Ajax is filled with what emotion over his slaughter of the cattle?
5. Who says: Nobly to live, or else nobly to die/Befits proud birth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Teucer tell Tecmessa to do with Ajax's body, after he places Eurysaces besides the body?
2. How is Teucer greeted when he arrived at the Greek camp, and why is he greeted that way?
3. What is a soliloquy?
4. What is the purpose of the initial conversation between Odysseus and Athena?
5. What does Menelaus threaten Teucer with, if Teucer disobeys?
6. Ajax says that the rules of nature must be obeyed, and so must what?
7. Who goes in search of Ajax in Part 3?
8. What does the prophecy by Calchas say?
9. What do Menelaus and Teucer use to support their positions about Ajax's burial?
10. What is the Chorus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the book to support your answer; what is hubris, and what role does it have in the play?
Essay Topic 2
What is a soliloquy, and what purpose does it serve in a play? What is the purpose of Ajax's soliloquy? Cite examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is the symbolism of armor and swords in the play? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)