|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Athena protect throughout the war?
2. What is the epode?
3. Who is Athena?
4. Who doubts Tecmessa when she says that Ajax is regaining his sanity?
5. What does Ajax strive not to be in his actions?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ajax plan to free himself from Athena's influence and why does he think it will work?
2. Who goes in search of Ajax in Part 3?
3. According to Teucer, why did Ajax join the Greeks in the Trojan War, and what effect does that have?
4. What does the prophecy by Calchas say?
5. What is the purpose of the initial conversation between Odysseus and Athena?
6. Before he dies, what are some of the things that Ajax prays for?
7. While the search for Ajax is occurring, what does Teucer do?
8. What does Odysseus believe about burying Ajax?
9. What is the Chorus?
10. How is Teucer greeted when he arrived at the Greek camp, and why is he greeted that way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the values system that the warriors in the play operate under? What do Ajax's actions mean, in light of that code? Support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
How does this play show that suffering can be ennobling for mankind? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is the cycle of revenge and destruction? How does this cycle affect the events in the play? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 1,127 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)