|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Odysseus when Athena appears to him?
2. What is the antistrophe?
3. Who is Athena?
4. What direction does the Chorus move when singing the strophe?
5. Who does Ajax tell Athena that he thinks he has captured, and will torture?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Chorus foreshadow in Part 2?
2. What do Menelaus and Teucer use to support their positions about Ajax's burial?
3. What does Odysseus believe about burying Ajax?
4. Why is Odysseus standing outside of Ajax's tent at the beginning of the play?
5. What does the Chorus lament, now that Ajax is dead?
6. What is the tone of Ajax's long speech about his honor in Part 2?
7. What does Ajax pray for before leaving the Chorus onstage?
8. How did Ajax betray the Greeks, according to Menelaus?
9. Why does Ajax refuse to go home?
10. What does Ajax do with his armor, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Does Ajax deserve his fate? Why or why not? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2What is a soliloquy, and what purpose does it serve in a play? What is the purpose of Ajax's soliloquy? Cite examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3What role does Telamon have in the play? What function does she serve in it, for Ajax? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)