|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Chorus believe has afflicted Ajax?
2. Who did Athena protect throughout the war?
3. What does the Chorus think should "hide one who is sick in soul"?
4. How does Ajax's wife try to talk him out of killing himself?
5. Who is the only warrior greater than Ajax?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who goes in search of Ajax in Part 3?
2. What does Ajax's betrayal earn him, according to Menelaus?
3. When the Chorus calls for Tecmessa, after Teucer has arrived, what does the messenger tell Tecmessa?
4. Why would Sophocles have the Chorus enter, in Part 4, complaining?
5. What is the general purpose of a messenger in Classical Greek theater?
6. Why does Menelaus tell Teucer that he doesn't have to argue with Teucer?
7. What is the story the messenger tells of Ajax's youth?
8. Describe Odysseus.
9. What does Teucer tell Eurysaces to do when he is placed besides Ajax's body, and why?
10. Before he dies, what are some of the things that Ajax prays for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What, according to the characters in the play, are important qualities in friendship? What role does friendship have in the play? Cite specific examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What two types of authority are in conflict in this play, and what does the conflict mean for the characters in the play? Use the play to find examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Does Ajax deserve his fate? Why or why not? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)