|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ajax strive not to be in his actions?
2. What direction does the Chorus move when singing the strophe?
3. What device is used, in Part II, to indicate that Ajax will die?
4. What does the Chorus think should "hide one who is sick in soul"?
5. The Chorus urges Ajax not to dishonor them, but to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ajax tell the Chorus that he is prepared to make peace with Agamemnon and Menelaus?
2. What do Menelaus and Teucer use to support their positions about Ajax's burial?
3. Describe Odysseus.
4. What does Athena say when she first appears to Odysseus and why does she appear?
5. While the search for Ajax is occurring, what does Teucer do?
6. What is Ajax's state of mind right before he kills himself?
7. Why does Teucer refuse Odysseus' help with Ajax's burial?
8. What does Menelaus threaten Teucer with, if Teucer disobeys?
9. What does Ajax pray for before leaving the Chorus onstage?
10. What does Agamemnon tell Teucer he had no right to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do the various speeches in the play suggest about how the characters in the play view a hero? Why? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is the symbolism of armor and swords in the play? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Does Ajax deserve his fate? Why or why not? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)