|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ajax refuse to go home?
2. What does the Chorus believe has afflicted Ajax?
3. Who does Ajax tell Athena that he thinks he has captured, and will torture?
4. What is the epode?
5. What did Tecmessa do to Ajax's son while Ajax was mad?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the Chorus calls for Tecmessa, after Teucer has arrived, what does the messenger tell Tecmessa?
2. What is a soliloquy?
3. Why does the Chorus believe that Ajax would be better off dead?
4. What preparations did Ajax make to the sword so that he can use it to kill himself?
5. Ajax says that the rules of nature must be obeyed, and so must what?
6. What is the tone of Ajax's long speech about his honor in Part 2?
7. What does Ajax tell the Chorus he plans to do since Tecmessa has awakened his pity?
8. Why does the Chorus suggest that it is time the Chorus members flee?
9. Why would Sophocles have the Chorus enter, in Part 4, complaining?
10. Why does Ajax refuse to go home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do the various speeches in the play suggest about how the characters in the play view a hero? Why? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is the Chorus? What is the purpose of the Chorus in this play? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Using the book to support your answer; what is hubris, and what role does it have in the play?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)