|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says: Nobly to live, or else nobly to die/Befits proud birth?
2. Who are the Greeks trying to rescue in this war?
3. What does Ajax strive not to be in his actions?
4. What does Ajax tell his son that he must become?
5. What did Odysseus get that Ajax wanted?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where, and why, does Tecmessa say that Ajax collapsed?
2. While the search for Ajax is occurring, what does Teucer do?
3. Who goes in search of Ajax in Part 3?
4. How, and why, does Tecmessa hide Ajax's body from the Chorus?
5. How, and why, does Athena protect Odysseus when she brings Ajax out of his tent?
6. What does Agamemnon tell Teucer he had no right to do?
7. Describe Odysseus.
8. What would happen to Tecmessa if Ajax killed himself and why?
9. What does Ajax pray for before leaving the Chorus onstage?
10. What does Athena say when she first appears to Odysseus and why does she appear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using specific examples from the text, show how Sophocles uses foreshadowing in this play.
Essay Topic 2
What are the different types of honor in the play, and how does honor resolve, or not resolve, all the conflicts at the end of the play? Support your answer with specific examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
What is the values system that the warriors in the play operate under? What do Ajax's actions mean, in light of that code? Support your answer with examples from the book.
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)