|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will happen to the rest of Ajax's armor?
2. Ajax pleads to be allowed to die but says that who is keeping him alive?
3. What is the epode?
4. The Chorus urges Ajax not to dishonor them, but to do what?
5. The Chorus thinks, during Part I, that Ajax's actions are a smear campaign carried out by the generals or by whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the theme of honor brought up in the first lines of the Chorus?
2. What does Menelaus threaten Teucer with, if Teucer disobeys?
3. What does Teucer tell Eurysaces to do when he is placed besides Ajax's body, and why?
4. How, and why, does Athena protect Odysseus when she brings Ajax out of his tent?
5. Describe Odysseus.
6. What does the Chorus lament, now that Ajax is dead?
7. What started the Trojan War?
8. Why does Ajax refuse to go home?
9. What does the Chorus foreshadow in Part 2?
10. What would happen to Tecmessa if Ajax killed himself and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Ajax deserve his fate? Why or why not? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is the symbolism of armor and swords in the play? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Using the book to support your answer; what is hubris, and what role does it have in the play?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)