|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "As God appoints, so every man laughs or laments?"
2. Who does Ajax give his son's care to?
3. Tecmessa and Ajax's son leave the stage when Ajax shuts himself into what?
4. Who does Ajax tell Athena that he thinks he has captured, and will torture?
5. What does Ajax tell his son that he must become?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Chorus lament, now that Ajax is dead?
2. Where, and why, does Tecmessa say that Ajax collapsed?
3. What preparations did Ajax make to the sword so that he can use it to kill himself?
4. What does Ajax do with his armor, and why?
5. How does Ajax plan to use the sword to kill himself?
6. Why does Ajax list the ways he thinks his honor has been destroyed?
7. What is Ajax doing on the beach and how does he feel?
8. Before he dies, what are some of the things that Ajax prays for?
9. How is Teucer greeted when he arrived at the Greek camp, and why is he greeted that way?
10. Why does Ajax refuse to go home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cite examples from the play to support your answer to the following question: How does this play portray the relationship between the gods and man?
Essay Topic 2
Does Ajax deserve his fate? Why or why not? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How does this play show that suffering can be ennobling for mankind? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)