|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which god does Ajax ask for help in the first part of the play?
2. The Chorus urges Ajax not to dishonor them, but to do what?
3. Ajax pleads to be allowed to die but says that who is keeping him alive?
4. What did Tecmessa do to Ajax's son while Ajax was mad?
5. What does the Chorus believe has afflicted Ajax?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the Chorus calls for Tecmessa, after Teucer has arrived, what does the messenger tell Tecmessa?
2. What does Athena say is the warning embodied by Ajax's behavior?
3. What does Agamemnon tell Teucer he had no right to do?
4. Who does the Chorus condemn, after Ajax has died, and why is the Chorus condemning them?
5. Who goes in search of Ajax in Part 3?
6. Why does Ajax list the ways he thinks his honor has been destroyed?
7. Why does Menelaus tell Teucer that he doesn't have to argue with Teucer?
8. What is the general purpose of a messenger in Classical Greek theater?
9. Why does Teucer refuse Odysseus' help with Ajax's burial?
10. Why does the Chorus suggest that it is time the Chorus members flee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the Chorus? What is the purpose of the Chorus in this play? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is a soliloquy, and what purpose does it serve in a play? What is the purpose of Ajax's soliloquy? Cite examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How does this play show that suffering can be ennobling for mankind? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 1,212 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)