|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many parts are there to the Chorus' song that ends Part II?
2. What does Athena say she will do to Odysseus before having Ajax appear?
3. Who is the first speaker in the play?
4. Where is Odysseus when Athena appears to him?
5. What did Tecmessa do to Ajax's son while Ajax was mad?
Short Essay Questions
1. What preparations did Ajax make to the sword so that he can use it to kill himself?
2. Why does Athena offer to bring Ajax out of his tent?
3. What does Ajax tell Eurysaces when he is brought out of hiding by his mother and two attendants?
4. While the search for Ajax is occurring, what does Teucer do?
5. What does the Chorus foreshadow in Part 2?
6. What would happen to Tecmessa if Ajax killed himself and why?
7. What does Odysseus believe about burying Ajax?
8. What does the prophecy by Calchas say?
9. When the Chorus first appears, what do they say and why?
10. What is the story the messenger tells of Ajax's youth?
Essay Topic 1
What role does Telamon have in the play? What function does she serve in it, for Ajax? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What two types of authority are in conflict in this play, and what does the conflict mean for the characters in the play? Use the play to find examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Using specific examples from the text, show how Sophocles uses foreshadowing in this play.
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)