|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people accompany Ajax's son onto the stage?
2. Where are Tecmessa's parents?
3. What traditional element of Classical Greek theater consists of a number of actors speaking with a single voice?
4. Which god does Ajax ask for help in the first part of the play?
5. What does Ajax compare living without honor to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tecmessa tell the Chorus the first time she appears, and in what tone does she say it?
2. What does Teucer tell Tecmessa to do with Ajax's body, after he places Eurysaces besides the body?
3. Why does Athena offer to bring Ajax out of his tent?
4. What does Teucer tell Eurysaces to do when he is placed besides Ajax's body, and why?
5. Why does Teucer refuse Odysseus' help with Ajax's burial?
6. What does Ajax tell Eurysaces when he is brought out of hiding by his mother and two attendants?
7. When the Chorus first appears, what do they say and why?
8. Why does Ajax tell the Chorus that he is prepared to make peace with Agamemnon and Menelaus?
9. Describe Odysseus.
10. How, and why, does Athena protect Odysseus when she brings Ajax out of his tent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What two types of authority are in conflict in this play, and what does the conflict mean for the characters in the play? Use the play to find examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Cite examples from the play to support your answer to the following question: How does this play portray the relationship between the gods and man?
Essay Topic 3
How do the actions of Ajax symbolize the struggles of man against Fate, which is a theme in the play? Support your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 1,144 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)