|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Chorus call the mood that Ajax is in during Part II?
2. What does the Chorus think should "hide one who is sick in soul"?
3. What did Ajax do in the middle of the carnage that he wrought?
4. Who does Ajax feel has done him an injustice?
5. What did Odysseus get that Ajax wanted?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Teucer, why did Ajax join the Greeks in the Trojan War, and what effect does that have?
2. How, and why, does Athena protect Odysseus when she brings Ajax out of his tent?
3. What does Teucer tell Eurysaces to do when he is placed besides Ajax's body, and why?
4. How does Ajax plan to free himself from Athena's influence and why does he think it will work?
5. While the search for Ajax is occurring, what does Teucer do?
6. What is Ajax doing on the beach and how does he feel?
7. Who does the Chorus condemn, after Ajax has died, and why is the Chorus condemning them?
8. Why does Ajax list the ways he thinks his honor has been destroyed?
9. What is the story the messenger tells of Ajax's youth?
10. What does Athena say is the warning embodied by Ajax's behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the suicide of Ajax occur halfway through the play? What takes up the later part of the play? What did Sophocles mean by this? Support your answer with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
What are the different types of honor in the play, and how does honor resolve, or not resolve, all the conflicts at the end of the play? Support your answer with specific examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
How does this play show that suffering can be ennobling for mankind? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)