|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the only warrior greater than Ajax?
2. Who does Ajax give his son's care to?
3. What direction does the Chorus move when singing the antistrophe?
4. What is the name of the group of leaders who decides to give Odysseus the things of Achilles that Ajax wanted?
5. Who does Ajax first ask to kill him to put him out of his misery?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who goes in search of Ajax in Part 3?
2. Why would Sophocles have the Chorus enter, in Part 4, complaining?
3. Why does Menelaus tell Teucer that he doesn't have to argue with Teucer?
4. How, and why, does Tecmessa hide Ajax's body from the Chorus?
5. What does Teucer tell Tecmessa to do with Ajax's body, after he places Eurysaces besides the body?
6. Why does Ajax tell the Chorus that he is prepared to make peace with Agamemnon and Menelaus?
7. What does Ajax do with his armor, and why?
8. What does Ajax tell Eurysaces when he is brought out of hiding by his mother and two attendants?
9. What does Menelaus threaten Teucer with, if Teucer disobeys?
10. Why is Odysseus standing outside of Ajax's tent at the beginning of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the book to support your answer; what is hubris, and what role does it have in the play?
Essay Topic 2
What is the Chorus? What is the purpose of the Chorus in this play? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is the symbolism of armor and swords in the play? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 1,211 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)