|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says: Nobly to live, or else nobly to die/Befits proud birth?
2. What is the name of the group of leaders who decides to give Odysseus the things of Achilles that Ajax wanted?
3. From what does Ajax's anger at Greek leadership stem?
4. What will happen to the rest of Ajax's armor?
5. How many people accompany Ajax's son onto the stage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ajax tell the Chorus he plans to do since Tecmessa has awakened his pity?
2. What is Ajax's state of mind right before he kills himself?
3. What does the Chorus foreshadow in Part 2?
4. Why does Teucer refuse Odysseus' help with Ajax's burial?
5. What does Menelaus threaten Teucer with, if Teucer disobeys?
6. What does Tecmessa think that Menelaus and Agamemnon will regret?
7. Why does Ajax list the ways he thinks his honor has been destroyed?
8. What does Ajax's betrayal earn him, according to Menelaus?
9. Why is Odysseus standing outside of Ajax's tent at the beginning of the play?
10. Why does Athena offer to bring Ajax out of his tent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the different types of honor in the play, and how does honor resolve, or not resolve, all the conflicts at the end of the play? Support your answer with specific examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
How do Odysseus and Ajax present different qualities of a warrior? What are those qualities, and what do they mean for the actions of the characters? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Does Ajax deserve his fate? Why or why not? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)