|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Chorus urges Ajax not to dishonor them, but to do what?
2. What does Athena say she will do to Odysseus before having Ajax appear?
3. How many parts are there to the Chorus' song that ends Part II?
4. The Chorus thinks, during Part I, that Ajax's actions are a smear campaign carried out by the generals or by whom?
5. Who says, "As God appoints, so every man laughs or laments?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the theme of honor brought up in the first lines of the Chorus?
2. Who does the Chorus condemn, after Ajax has died, and why is the Chorus condemning them?
3. Why does Ajax list the ways he thinks his honor has been destroyed?
4. When the Chorus first appears, what do they say and why?
5. When the Chorus calls for Tecmessa, after Teucer has arrived, what does the messenger tell Tecmessa?
6. How does Ajax plan to free himself from Athena's influence and why does he think it will work?
7. Why is Odysseus standing outside of Ajax's tent at the beginning of the play?
8. Why does the Chorus believe that Ajax would be better off dead?
9. What does Ajax do with his armor, and why?
10. What is Ajax doing on the beach and how does he feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the suicide of Ajax occur halfway through the play? What takes up the later part of the play? What did Sophocles mean by this? Support your answer with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
What are the different types of honor in the play, and how does honor resolve, or not resolve, all the conflicts at the end of the play? Support your answer with specific examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
How do the actions of Ajax symbolize the struggles of man against Fate, which is a theme in the play? Support your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)