Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Athena appear from at the beginning of the play?
2. What does the Chorus call the mood that Ajax is in during Part II?
3. How does Athena first refer to Odysseus?
4. What is the strophe?
5. What device is used, in Part II, to indicate that Ajax will die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Teucer tell Tecmessa to do with Ajax's body, after he places Eurysaces besides the body?
2. What is the story the messenger tells of Ajax's youth?
3. Why does Odysseus pity Ajax?
4. What is Ajax's state of mind right before he kills himself?
5. Why does Athena offer to bring Ajax out of his tent?
6. What does the Chorus foreshadow in Part 2?
7. How, and why, does Tecmessa hide Ajax's body from the Chorus?
8. What does Ajax pray for before leaving the Chorus onstage?
9. What does the Chorus lament, now that Ajax is dead?
10. What is the Chorus?
What is a soliloquy, and what purpose does it serve in a play? What is the purpose of Ajax's soliloquy? Cite examples from the text to support your answer.
Odysseus, Agamemnon, and Menelaus are all kings. What aspects of a good, or bad, king does each character represent and why? Support your answer with specific examples from the play.
What two types of authority are in conflict in this play, and what does the conflict mean for the characters in the play? Use the play to find examples to support your answer.
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)