|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Odysseus king of?
2. When is this play set?
3. Who says, "As God appoints, so every man laughs or laments?"
4. Tecmessa and Ajax's son leave the stage when Ajax shuts himself into what?
5. In Part I, who is the Chorus made up of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Odysseus standing outside of Ajax's tent at the beginning of the play?
2. What does the Chorus foreshadow in Part 2?
3. How did Ajax betray the Greeks, according to Menelaus?
4. What does Ajax's betrayal earn him, according to Menelaus?
5. What does the prophecy by Calchas say?
6. How is the theme of honor brought up in the first lines of the Chorus?
7. What does Ajax tell the Chorus he plans to do since Tecmessa has awakened his pity?
8. Why does the Chorus suggest that it is time the Chorus members flee?
9. Why does Odysseus pity Ajax?
10. According to Teucer, why did Ajax join the Greeks in the Trojan War, and what effect does that have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the suicide of Ajax occur halfway through the play? What takes up the later part of the play? What did Sophocles mean by this? Support your answer with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
What is a soliloquy, and what purpose does it serve in a play? What is the purpose of Ajax's soliloquy? Cite examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What do the various speeches in the play suggest about how the characters in the play view a hero? Why? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)