|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role does the discussion between Odysseus and Athena, at the beginning of the play, serve?
2. Who is the only warrior greater than Ajax?
3. Who confirms Odysseus' suspicions that Ajax slaughtered a herd of cattle?
4. Who does Ajax think Achilles would have wanted to have his things?
5. Who brings Ajax's son onto the stage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the initial conversation between Odysseus and Athena?
2. How does Ajax plan to free himself from Athena's influence and why does he think it will work?
3. What do Menelaus and Teucer use to support their positions about Ajax's burial?
4. When the Chorus first appears, what do they say and why?
5. What does Tecmessa think that Menelaus and Agamemnon will regret?
6. How, and why, does Tecmessa hide Ajax's body from the Chorus?
7. What does Ajax pray for before leaving the Chorus onstage?
8. When the Chorus calls for Tecmessa, after Teucer has arrived, what does the messenger tell Tecmessa?
9. Why does the Chorus believe that Ajax would be better off dead?
10. What does Athena say when she first appears to Odysseus and why does she appear?
Essay Topic 1
Why does the suicide of Ajax occur halfway through the play? What takes up the later part of the play? What did Sophocles mean by this? Support your answer with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
What role does Telamon have in the play? What function does she serve in it, for Ajax? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What two types of authority are in conflict in this play, and what does the conflict mean for the characters in the play? Use the play to find examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,144 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)