|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "As God appoints, so every man laughs or laments?"
2. How does Athena first refer to Odysseus?
3. Who does Ajax feel has done him an injustice?
4. Who brings Ajax's son onto the stage?
5. What is the name of the person who wrote Ajax?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would Sophocles have the Chorus enter, in Part 4, complaining?
2. What does Teucer tell Eurysaces to do when he is placed besides Ajax's body, and why?
3. How is Teucer greeted when he arrived at the Greek camp, and why is he greeted that way?
4. Why does Menelaus tell Teucer that he doesn't have to argue with Teucer?
5. How, and why, does Athena protect Odysseus when she brings Ajax out of his tent?
6. What is Ajax's state of mind right before he kills himself?
7. What does the prophecy by Calchas say?
8. Why does the Chorus suggest that it is time the Chorus members flee?
9. When the Chorus unsuccessfully attempts to calm Ajax, what does Ajax bemoan?
10. How does Ajax plan to free himself from Athena's influence and why does he think it will work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Odysseus, Agamemnon, and Menelaus are all kings. What aspects of a good, or bad, king does each character represent and why? Support your answer with specific examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
What is a soliloquy, and what purpose does it serve in a play? What is the purpose of Ajax's soliloquy? Cite examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is the Chorus? What is the purpose of the Chorus in this play? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 1,154 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)