|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part I, who is the Chorus made up of?
2. Who does the Chorus think will grieve if Ajax continues to be self-destructive?
3. What sea would Ajax have to sail over to get home?
4. Where are Tecmessa's parents?
5. When is this play set?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Chorus believe that Ajax would be better off dead?
2. What does Ajax pray for before leaving the Chorus onstage?
3. What is the story the messenger tells of Ajax's youth?
4. How, and why, does Athena protect Odysseus when she brings Ajax out of his tent?
5. When the Chorus unsuccessfully attempts to calm Ajax, what does Ajax bemoan?
6. What does Teucer tell Eurysaces to do when he is placed besides Ajax's body, and why?
7. What does Athena say is the warning embodied by Ajax's behavior?
8. What is the Chorus?
9. Ajax says that the rules of nature must be obeyed, and so must what?
10. What is the purpose of the initial conversation between Odysseus and Athena?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a soliloquy, and what purpose does it serve in a play? What is the purpose of Ajax's soliloquy? Cite examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Cite examples from the play to support your answer to the following question: How does this play portray the relationship between the gods and man?
Essay Topic 3
What are the different types of honor in the play, and how does honor resolve, or not resolve, all the conflicts at the end of the play? Support your answer with specific examples from the play.
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)