|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Odysseus examining when Athena appears?
2. Who does Ajax tell Athena that he thinks he has captured, and will torture?
3. What did Odysseus get that Ajax wanted?
4. What will happen to Ajax's wife if he dies?
5. The Chorus urges Ajax not to dishonor them, but to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the theme of honor brought up in the first lines of the Chorus?
2. Why does Ajax list the ways he thinks his honor has been destroyed?
3. While the search for Ajax is occurring, what does Teucer do?
4. What started the Trojan War?
5. What does Ajax pray for before leaving the Chorus onstage?
6. What is Ajax doing on the beach and how does he feel?
7. What does Teucer tell Eurysaces to do when he is placed besides Ajax's body, and why?
8. What does Teucer think is Hector's revenge?
9. What is the purpose of the initial conversation between Odysseus and Athena?
10. When the Chorus calls for Tecmessa, after Teucer has arrived, what does the messenger tell Tecmessa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the actions of Ajax symbolize the struggles of man against Fate, which is a theme in the play? Support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
What is a soliloquy, and what purpose does it serve in a play? What is the purpose of Ajax's soliloquy? Cite examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is the values system that the warriors in the play operate under? What do Ajax's actions mean, in light of that code? Support your answer with examples from the book.
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)