|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what does Ajax's anger at Greek leadership stem?
2. Where does Athena appear from at the beginning of the play?
3. Who says, "As God appoints, so every man laughs or laments?"
4. What is the function of the Chorus in Part I?
5. What direction does the Chorus move when singing the antistrophe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Athena say when she first appears to Odysseus and why does she appear?
2. Why does the Chorus suggest that it is time the Chorus members flee?
3. What does Menelaus threaten Teucer with, if Teucer disobeys?
4. How is Teucer greeted when he arrived at the Greek camp, and why is he greeted that way?
5. Ajax says that the rules of nature must be obeyed, and so must what?
6. What does Ajax do with his armor, and why?
7. Why does the Chorus believe that Ajax would be better off dead?
8. How, and why, does Tecmessa hide Ajax's body from the Chorus?
9. Before he dies, what are some of the things that Ajax prays for?
10. Who goes in search of Ajax in Part 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a soliloquy, and what purpose does it serve in a play? What is the purpose of Ajax's soliloquy? Cite examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss whether you agree or disagree, and why, with the following statement: The play just peters out at the end without a true ending.
Essay Topic 3
What are the different types of honor in the play, and how does honor resolve, or not resolve, all the conflicts at the end of the play? Support your answer with specific examples from the play.
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)