|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Menelaus' title?
2. Which side is Ajax fighting on?
3. What is Odysseus examining when Athena appears?
4. What device is used, in Part II, to indicate that Ajax will die?
5. Who is Athena?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the Chorus first appears, what do they say and why?
2. What does the Chorus foreshadow in Part 2?
3. How is the theme of honor brought up in the first lines of the Chorus?
4. What does Teucer, after seeing Ajax's dead body, say his father will do?
5. What does Athena say is the warning embodied by Ajax's behavior?
6. Why does the Chorus suggest that it is time the Chorus members flee?
7. What is the purpose of the initial conversation between Odysseus and Athena?
8. What does Teucer tell Tecmessa to do with Ajax's body, after he places Eurysaces besides the body?
9. Why is Odysseus standing outside of Ajax's tent at the beginning of the play?
10. When the Chorus calls for Tecmessa, after Teucer has arrived, what does the messenger tell Tecmessa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does Telamon have in the play? What function does she serve in it, for Ajax? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is the cycle of revenge and destruction? How does this cycle affect the events in the play? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is the values system that the warriors in the play operate under? What do Ajax's actions mean, in light of that code? Support your answer with examples from the book.
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)