|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ajax strive not to be in his actions?
(a) A fool.
(b) A religious man.
(c) A coward.
(d) A smart man.
2. What is the name of the group of leaders who decides to give Odysseus the things of Achilles that Ajax wanted?
(a) The Senate.
(b) The Council.
(c) The Atreidae.
(d) The Ristrivide.
3. Where is Odysseus when Athena appears to him?
(a) Outside Ajax's tent.
(b) Outside Ajax's ship.
(c) Outside Ajax's wagon.
(d) Outside Ajax's home.
4. What sea would Ajax have to sail over to get home?
(a) Nothing, he would ride home.
(b) Inland sea.
(c) Cretian sea.
(d) Aegean sea.
5. Who says, "As God appoints, so every man laughs or laments?"
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Athena say she will do to Odysseus before having Ajax appear?
2. Tecmessa assures the Chorus that Ajax is filled with what emotion over his slaughter of the cattle?
3. What is the antistrophe?
4. Who is Tecmessa?
5. Ajax pleads to be allowed to die but says that who is keeping him alive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a soliloquy?
2. What do Menelaus and Teucer use to support their positions about Ajax's burial?
3. Why would Sophocles have the Chorus enter, in Part 4, complaining?
4. Who does the Chorus condemn, after Ajax has died, and why is the Chorus condemning them?
5. What is the tone of Ajax's long speech about his honor in Part 2?
6. Why does Odysseus pity Ajax?
7. What does Ajax tell the Chorus he plans to do since Tecmessa has awakened his pity?
8. Why does Ajax tell the Chorus that he is prepared to make peace with Agamemnon and Menelaus?
9. What would happen to Tecmessa if Ajax killed himself and why?
10. What does Athena say is the warning embodied by Ajax's behavior?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)