|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ajax's wife try to talk him out of killing himself?
(a) By mentioning that he has people depending on him.
(b) By mentioning he has a son to raise.
(c) By asking him to consider her shame if he killed himself.
(d) By asking him to consider his father's shame if he killed himself.
2. What is the name of the person who wrote Ajax?
3. Who does Ajax first ask to kill him to put him out of his misery?
(a) His brother.
(b) His father.
(c) His son.
(d) The Chorus.
4. What device is used, in Part II, to indicate that Ajax will die?
5. Why does Ajax slaughter a herd of cattle?
(a) Out of jealousy.
(b) Out of fear.
(c) Out of spite.
(d) Out of madness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What direction does the Chorus move when singing the antistrophe?
2. Where does Athena appear from at the beginning of the play?
3. When Tecmessa confirms, to the Chorus, that Ajax slaughtered cattle, what does the Chorus say it might be time to do?
4. Who brings Ajax's son onto the stage?
5. During Ajax's long speech in Part II, what does he feel has been destroyed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Chorus suggest that it is time the Chorus members flee?
2. What does Teucer tell Eurysaces to do when he is placed besides Ajax's body, and why?
3. How is Teucer greeted when he arrived at the Greek camp, and why is he greeted that way?
4. How does Ajax plan to free himself from Athena's influence and why does he think it will work?
5. What does Athena say when she first appears to Odysseus and why does she appear?
6. What does Odysseus believe about burying Ajax?
7. When the Chorus unsuccessfully attempts to calm Ajax, what does Ajax bemoan?
8. What is a soliloquy?
9. What is the Chorus?
10. How is the theme of honor brought up in the first lines of the Chorus?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)