|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ajax strive not to be in his actions?
(a) A fool.
(b) A smart man.
(c) A religious man.
(d) A coward.
2. What device is used, in Part II, to indicate that Ajax will die?
3. From what does Ajax's anger at Greek leadership stem?
(a) His greed.
(b) His illness.
(c) His injuries.
(d) His wounded honor.
4. What is Odysseus king of?
5. When does honor first appear as a theme in the play?
(a) In the Chorus' third lines.
(b) In the Chorus' first lines.
(c) In the Chorus' last lines.
(d) In the Chorus' second lines.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Odysseus examining when Athena appears?
2. What role does the discussion between Odysseus and Athena, at the beginning of the play, serve?
3. When is this play set?
4. Who is the first speaker in the play?
5. What direction does the Chorus move when singing the strophe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the Chorus condemn, after Ajax has died, and why is the Chorus condemning them?
2. Why does Odysseus pity Ajax?
3. What is Ajax's state of mind right before he kills himself?
4. What is the general purpose of a messenger in Classical Greek theater?
5. Describe Odysseus.
6. While the search for Ajax is occurring, what does Teucer do?
7. What do Menelaus and Teucer use to support their positions about Ajax's burial?
8. When the Chorus calls for Tecmessa, after Teucer has arrived, what does the messenger tell Tecmessa?
9. What does Teucer, after seeing Ajax's dead body, say his father will do?
10. What started the Trojan War?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)