|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the strophe?
(a) The middle of the Chorus' song.
(b) The turning of the Chorus away from the audience.
(c) The turning of the Chorus to one side.
(d) The finishing of the Chorus' song.
2. Which god does Ajax ask for help in the first part of the play?
3. Who says, "As God appoints, so every man laughs or laments?"
4. Who doubts Tecmessa when she says that Ajax is regaining his sanity?
(d) The Chorus.
5. Who does Ajax feel has done him an injustice?
(a) Menelaus and Odysseus.
(b) Agamemnon and Odysseus.
(c) Agamemnon and Menelaus.
(d) His father and Agamemnon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the function of the Chorus in Part I?
2. Who does Ajax tell Athena that he thinks he has captured, and will torture?
3. What is the antistrophe?
4. What will happen to Ajax's wife if he dies?
5. Who does Ajax first ask to kill him to put him out of his misery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tecmessa think that Menelaus and Agamemnon will regret?
2. How is Teucer greeted when he arrived at the Greek camp, and why is he greeted that way?
3. Why does Ajax list the ways he thinks his honor has been destroyed?
4. What does Agamemnon tell Teucer he had no right to do?
5. What started the Trojan War?
6. What does Tecmessa tell the Chorus the first time she appears, and in what tone does she say it?
7. Who goes in search of Ajax in Part 3?
8. What preparations did Ajax make to the sword so that he can use it to kill himself?
9. How is the theme of honor brought up in the first lines of the Chorus?
10. What is the purpose of the initial conversation between Odysseus and Athena?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)