|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says, "As God appoints, so every man laughs or laments?"
2. What is the strophe?
(a) The middle of the Chorus' song.
(b) The turning of the Chorus to one side.
(c) The finishing of the Chorus' song.
(d) The turning of the Chorus away from the audience.
3. What does Ajax compare living without honor to?
(a) Living in fear.
(c) Capture by the enemy.
(d) Living in shame.
4. During Ajax's long speech in Part II, what does he feel has been destroyed?
(a) His honor.
(b) His life.
(c) His soul.
(d) His reputation.
5. How does Ajax's wife try to talk him out of killing himself?
(a) By asking him to consider his father's shame if he killed himself.
(b) By mentioning he has a son to raise.
(c) By mentioning that he has people depending on him.
(d) By asking him to consider her shame if he killed himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ajax strive not to be in his actions?
2. What does the Chorus think should "hide one who is sick in soul"?
3. Why does Ajax slaughter a herd of cattle?
4. Who says: Nobly to live, or else nobly to die/Befits proud birth?
5. What is the epode?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Teucer refuse Odysseus' help with Ajax's burial?
2. Why does Athena offer to bring Ajax out of his tent?
3. What does Agamemnon tell Teucer he had no right to do?
4. What does Teucer, after seeing Ajax's dead body, say his father will do?
5. What does Tecmessa tell the Chorus the first time she appears, and in what tone does she say it?
6. What started the Trojan War?
7. How does Ajax plan to free himself from Athena's influence and why does he think it will work?
8. Describe Odysseus.
9. Why is Odysseus standing outside of Ajax's tent at the beginning of the play?
10. What would happen to Tecmessa if Ajax killed himself and why?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)