|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Odysseus when Athena appears to him?
(a) Outside Ajax's tent.
(b) Outside Ajax's home.
(c) Outside Ajax's ship.
(d) Outside Ajax's wagon.
2. The Chorus thinks, during Part I, that Ajax's actions are a smear campaign carried out by the generals or by whom?
(a) The spirits of slain warriors.
(c) The gods.
(d) His wife.
3. During Ajax's long speech in Part II, what does he feel has been destroyed?
(a) His life.
(b) His soul.
(c) His honor.
(d) His reputation.
4. The Chorus urges Ajax not to dishonor them, but to do what?
(a) Pay heed to the gods.
(b) Return to his tent.
(c) Take back his insolence against the gods.
(d) Return to sanity.
5. What did Tecmessa do to Ajax's son while Ajax was mad?
(a) Hid him.
(b) Sent him to battle.
(c) Took him back to the ship.
(d) Sent him home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Athena protect throughout the war?
2. What is Odysseus king of?
3. How does Athena first refer to Odysseus?
4. What is the name of the person who wrote Ajax?
5. Who is the only warrior greater than Ajax?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a soliloquy?
2. When the Chorus unsuccessfully attempts to calm Ajax, what does Ajax bemoan?
3. Why does Ajax tell the Chorus that he is prepared to make peace with Agamemnon and Menelaus?
4. What does Teucer, after seeing Ajax's dead body, say his father will do?
5. Describe Odysseus.
6. What is Ajax doing on the beach and how does he feel?
7. How does Ajax plan to free himself from Athena's influence and why does he think it will work?
8. What does Odysseus believe about burying Ajax?
9. What does Ajax tell the Chorus he plans to do since Tecmessa has awakened his pity?
10. Why does the Chorus suggest that it is time the Chorus members flee?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)