|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says, "As God appoints, so every man laughs or laments?"
2. Who did Athena protect throughout the war?
(a) The Trojans.
(b) The Greeks.
(c) The Creatians.
(d) The Spartans.
3. What does Athena say she will do to Odysseus before having Ajax appear?
(a) Make him invincible.
(b) Make him wiser.
(c) Make him invisible.
(d) Make him stronger.
4. What time of day is it at the beginning of the play?
5. Who says: Nobly to live, or else nobly to die/Befits proud birth?
(a) The Chorus.
(c) Ajax's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first speaker in the play?
2. In Part I, who is the Chorus made up of?
3. What is the function of the Chorus in Part I?
4. Where does Athena appear from at the beginning of the play?
5. How many people accompany Ajax's son onto the stage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Odysseus standing outside of Ajax's tent at the beginning of the play?
2. What is the purpose of the initial conversation between Odysseus and Athena?
3. Who does the Chorus condemn, after Ajax has died, and why is the Chorus condemning them?
4. What is Ajax doing on the beach and how does he feel?
5. What preparations did Ajax make to the sword so that he can use it to kill himself?
6. While the search for Ajax is occurring, what does Teucer do?
7. How does Ajax plan to use the sword to kill himself?
8. What does Athena say when she first appears to Odysseus and why does she appear?
9. How is the theme of honor brought up in the first lines of the Chorus?
10. What does Menelaus threaten Teucer with, if Teucer disobeys?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)