|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the Chorus believe spread a rumor about Ajax slaughtering cattle?
2. Why does Ajax slaughter a herd of cattle?
(a) Out of madness.
(b) Out of fear.
(c) Out of spite.
(d) Out of jealousy.
3. What does the Chorus believe has afflicted Ajax?
4. Which god does Ajax ask for help in the first part of the play?
5. What direction does the Chorus move when singing the antistrophe?
(a) Left to right.
(b) Back to front.
(c) Front to back.
(d) Right to left.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Chorus thinks, during Part I, that Ajax's actions are a smear campaign carried out by the generals or by whom?
2. Who does Ajax first ask to kill him to put him out of his misery?
3. Who is Athena?
4. Who says, "As God appoints, so every man laughs or laments?"
5. What is the name of Ajax's son?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ajax doing on the beach and how does he feel?
2. What does Teucer think is Hector's revenge?
3. Who goes in search of Ajax in Part 3?
4. Why is Odysseus standing outside of Ajax's tent at the beginning of the play?
5. What does Athena say is the warning embodied by Ajax's behavior?
6. Why does Teucer refuse Odysseus' help with Ajax's burial?
7. What is the tone of Ajax's long speech about his honor in Part 2?
8. What does the prophecy by Calchas say?
9. Where, and why, does Tecmessa say that Ajax collapsed?
10. Why would Sophocles have the Chorus enter, in Part 4, complaining?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)