|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the function of the Chorus in Part I?
(a) To serve as support for Ajax's wife.
(b) To serve as a warning to Ajax.
(c) To serve as help for Odysseus.
(d) To serve as Ajax's cheering section.
2. Who is Athena?
(a) Goddess of peace.
(b) Goddess of war.
(c) Goddess of strife.
(d) Goddess of conflict.
3. What sea would Ajax have to sail over to get home?
(a) Cretian sea.
(b) Nothing, he would ride home.
(c) Inland sea.
(d) Aegean sea.
4. What direction does the Chorus move when singing the antistrophe?
(a) Left to right.
(b) Front to back.
(c) Back to front.
(d) Right to left.
5. What will happen to Ajax's wife if he dies?
(a) Becomes a slave.
(b) Is given to another man.
(d) Has to stay home and raise her son.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Odysseus get that Ajax wanted?
2. Who says: Nobly to live, or else nobly to die/Befits proud birth?
3. Who does the Chorus believe spread a rumor about Ajax slaughtering cattle?
4. Why does Ajax refuse to go home?
5. What will happen to the rest of Ajax's armor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would happen to Tecmessa if Ajax killed himself and why?
2. How, and why, does Tecmessa hide Ajax's body from the Chorus?
3. What does Ajax's betrayal earn him, according to Menelaus?
4. How does Ajax plan to use the sword to kill himself?
5. Why does Odysseus pity Ajax?
6. What does the Chorus foreshadow in Part 2?
7. How is the theme of honor brought up in the first lines of the Chorus?
8. What is Ajax's state of mind right before he kills himself?
9. What does Teucer tell Eurysaces to do when he is placed besides Ajax's body, and why?
10. What does the Chorus lament, now that Ajax is dead?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)