|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Odysseus king of?
2. When Tecmessa confirms, to the Chorus, that Ajax slaughtered cattle, what does the Chorus say it might be time to do?
3. What does Ajax compare living without honor to?
(a) Living in fear.
(c) Living in shame.
(d) Capture by the enemy.
4. What will happen to Ajax's wife if he dies?
(b) Has to stay home and raise her son.
(c) Becomes a slave.
(d) Is given to another man.
5. What role does the discussion between Odysseus and Athena, at the beginning of the play, serve?
(a) As the exposition.
(b) As the climax.
(c) As the rising action.
(d) As the falling action.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of day is it at the beginning of the play?
2. What is the epode?
3. Where does Athena appear from at the beginning of the play?
4. In Part I, who is the Chorus made up of?
5. What does Ajax strive not to be in his actions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Athena say when she first appears to Odysseus and why does she appear?
2. What is the general purpose of a messenger in Classical Greek theater?
3. Why does Ajax list the ways he thinks his honor has been destroyed?
4. Why does the Chorus suggest that it is time the Chorus members flee?
5. What does Odysseus believe about burying Ajax?
6. How is the theme of honor brought up in the first lines of the Chorus?
7. Why does Athena offer to bring Ajax out of his tent?
8. How, and why, does Tecmessa hide Ajax's body from the Chorus?
9. What does Tecmessa think that Menelaus and Agamemnon will regret?
10. What does Ajax do with his armor, and why?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)