|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says, "As God appoints, so every man laughs or laments?"
2. Where does Athena appear from at the beginning of the play?
(a) From the shadows.
(d) The trees.
3. What is the name of Ajax's son?
4. Who brings Ajax's son onto the stage?
5. Why does Ajax slaughter a herd of cattle?
(a) Out of spite.
(b) Out of madness.
(c) Out of jealousy.
(d) Out of fear.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the antistrophe?
2. What is the name of the group of leaders who decides to give Odysseus the things of Achilles that Ajax wanted?
3. Who is Tecmessa?
4. What does the Chorus believe has afflicted Ajax?
5. What does Athena say she will do to Odysseus before having Ajax appear?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ajax plan to use the sword to kill himself?
2. What does the prophecy by Calchas say?
3. What does Teucer, after seeing Ajax's dead body, say his father will do?
4. What preparations did Ajax make to the sword so that he can use it to kill himself?
5. What is the story the messenger tells of Ajax's youth?
6. What is the general purpose of a messenger in Classical Greek theater?
7. When the Chorus first appears, what do they say and why?
8. Why does the Chorus believe that Ajax would be better off dead?
9. What does Ajax's betrayal earn him, according to Menelaus?
10. What does Ajax do with his armor, and why?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)