|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the epode?
(a) Added song.
(b) Ending of the song.
(c) Middle of the song.
(d) Third verse.
2. What does Athena say she will do to Odysseus before having Ajax appear?
(a) Make him invisible.
(b) Make him wiser.
(c) Make him stronger.
(d) Make him invincible.
3. When is this play set?
(a) Early in the Trojan War.
(b) Early in the Spartan War.
(c) Late in the Spartan War.
(d) Late in the Trojan War.
4. Who is the only warrior greater than Ajax?
5. What direction does the Chorus move when singing the strophe?
(a) Front to back.
(b) Left to right.
(c) Back to front.
(d) Right to left.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people accompany Ajax's son onto the stage?
2. What did Tecmessa do to Ajax's son while Ajax was mad?
3. Why does Ajax refuse to go home?
4. What is the strophe?
5. Who does Ajax tell Athena that he thinks he has captured, and will torture?
Short Essay Questions
1. How, and why, does Athena protect Odysseus when she brings Ajax out of his tent?
2. Why would Sophocles have the Chorus enter, in Part 4, complaining?
3. While the search for Ajax is occurring, what does Teucer do?
4. What does Tecmessa tell the Chorus the first time she appears, and in what tone does she say it?
5. Where, and why, does Tecmessa say that Ajax collapsed?
6. What does Ajax tell Eurysaces when he is brought out of hiding by his mother and two attendants?
7. Describe Odysseus.
8. What is a soliloquy?
9. Before he dies, what are some of the things that Ajax prays for?
10. What is the Chorus?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)