|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the Greeks trying to rescue in this war?
2. Who is Telamon?
(a) Ajax's brother.
(b) Ajax's father.
(c) Ajax's son.
(d) Ajax's king.
3. What does Athena say she will do to Odysseus before having Ajax appear?
(a) Make him invisible.
(b) Make him stronger.
(c) Make him invincible.
(d) Make him wiser.
4. Which god does Ajax ask for help in the first part of the play?
5. Where are Tecmessa's parents?
(c) In slavery somewhere.
(d) On a boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Ajax's son?
2. Who is Athena?
3. What device is used, in Part II, to indicate that Ajax will die?
4. Who does Ajax tell Athena that he thinks he has captured, and will torture?
5. Why does Ajax refuse to go home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the general purpose of a messenger in Classical Greek theater?
2. How is Teucer greeted when he arrived at the Greek camp, and why is he greeted that way?
3. When the Chorus calls for Tecmessa, after Teucer has arrived, what does the messenger tell Tecmessa?
4. What does Ajax pray for before leaving the Chorus onstage?
5. What does Teucer think is Hector's revenge?
6. How is the theme of honor brought up in the first lines of the Chorus?
7. What is Ajax's state of mind right before he kills himself?
8. Ajax says that the rules of nature must be obeyed, and so must what?
9. Why does Ajax refuse to go home?
10. When the Chorus first appears, what do they say and why?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)