|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Tecmessa do to Ajax's son while Ajax was mad?
(a) Took him back to the ship.
(b) Sent him to battle.
(c) Sent him home.
(d) Hid him.
2. Who does the Chorus believe spread a rumor about Ajax slaughtering cattle?
3. What is the name of Ajax's son?
4. Who is Tecmessa?
(a) Ajax's servant.
(b) Ajax's daughter.
(c) Ajax's captive.
(d) Ajax's wife.
5. What did Odysseus get that Ajax wanted?
(a) Achilles' wife.
(b) Achilles' land.
(c) Achilles' armor and weapons.
(d) Achilles' title.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of day is it at the beginning of the play?
2. How many parts are there to the Chorus' song that ends Part II?
3. Which god does Ajax ask for help in the first part of the play?
4. Why does Ajax slaughter a herd of cattle?
5. What did Ajax do in the middle of the carnage that he wrought?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ajax's betrayal earn him, according to Menelaus?
2. How, and why, does Tecmessa hide Ajax's body from the Chorus?
3. What does the Chorus foreshadow in Part 2?
4. What does Athena say when she first appears to Odysseus and why does she appear?
5. What is the tone of Ajax's long speech about his honor in Part 2?
6. How does Ajax plan to use the sword to kill himself?
7. Why does Ajax list the ways he thinks his honor has been destroyed?
8. How does Ajax plan to free himself from Athena's influence and why does he think it will work?
9. Why does Ajax tell the Chorus that he is prepared to make peace with Agamemnon and Menelaus?
10. How is Teucer greeted when he arrived at the Greek camp, and why is he greeted that way?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)