|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ajax mention doing to the sword during his soliloquy before his death?
(a) Using his sword.
(b) Dulling his sword.
(c) Sharpening his sword.
(d) Polishing his sword.
2. In Ajax's youth, what did he want to win alone, without the help of the gods?
3. Who attempts to see Ajax, and is refused by Tecmessa?
(a) Her son.
(b) The leader.
(c) The messenger.
(d) The Chorus.
4. How many parts is the Chorus split into after Ajax's death?
5. What is a dirge?
(a) A somber song to express evil feelings.
(b) A somber song to express mourning.
(c) A song that expresses true love.
(d) A song to express feeling.
6. By struggling against a prophecy, the characters are struggling against what?
(b) The Gods.
7. Who does Ajax call to claim him, before falling on his sword?
8. Who generally can break the cycle that killing and humiliation begin?
(b) The gods.
(c) An act of nature.
(d) A woman.
9. Why is acting out of revenge considered foolish?
(a) Because you are acting out of emotion, not thought.
(b) Because revenge is for commoners.
(c) Because revenge is not honorable.
(d) Because emotional behavior is for women.
10. What does Ajax tell the Chorus that Tecmessa awakened?
(a) His pity.
(b) His mind.
(c) His sorrow.
(d) His conscious.
11. How are prophecies in Classical Greek theater perceived?
(a) As infallible.
(b) As partial truths.
(c) As possibly wrong.
(d) As full truths.
12. How many parts are there to the Chorus' song between Ajax's speech and the arrival of the messenger?
13. Who does Ajax want to find his body?
(b) His son.
(d) His father.
14. At the end of Part III, Tecmessa realizes that Ajax has done what to her?
(a) Minimized her.
(b) Deceived her.
(c) Loved her.
(d) Hated her.
15. Who does Ajax want to curse Agamemnon and Menelaus?
(a) The Furies.
(b) The Horsemen.
(c) The Harpies.
(d) The Fates.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ajax tell the Chorus he is going to go in order to appease Athena's wrath?
2. How is Teucer greeted at the Greek camp?
3. The messenger tells a story to the Chorus that shows Ajax has what quality?
4. What does the Chorus call Menelaus, after Ajax's death?
5. Who enters while Ajax is speaking to the Chorus in Part III?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)