|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After hearing the messenger, who does Tecmessa order to search for Ajax and bring him back to his tent?
(a) The sailors.
(b) The soldiers.
(c) The Chorus.
(d) The servants.
2. Who does Teucer predict his father will vent his grief against?
(a) Those who betrayed Ajax.
(b) Those who shamed Ajax.
(c) Those who didn't stop Ajax.
(d) Those who fought Ajax.
3. When Ajax leaves their presence, the Chorus rejoices in his what?
4. According to the messenger, if Calchas' prophecy doesn't come true, then what is Calchas?
(a) A foe.
(b) Not a friend.
(c) A fraud.
(d) Not a prophet.
5. What is hubris?
(a) Excessive boasting.
(b) Excessive pride.
(c) Excessive bragging.
(d) Excessive honor.
6. Who says: Men of ill judgment oft ignore the good /That lies within their hands, till they have lost it.
(a) The Chorus.
7. Who does Ajax want to curse Agamemnon and Menelaus?
(a) The Horsemen.
(b) The Harpies.
(c) The Furies.
(d) The Fates.
8. What was Ajax's state of mind at his death?
9. What does Ajax pray for, after praying that his friends follow through on his instructions to have his son raised by Teucer?
(a) He prays he finds peace.
(b) He prays he finds happiness.
(c) He prays he finds rest.
(d) He prays he finds contentment.
10. At the beginning of Part III, who is Ajax prepared to make peace with?
(a) Agamemnon and Menelaus.
(b) His father.
(c) His fellow warriors.
11. What does inter mean?
(a) To clothe.
(b) To put away.
(c) To save.
(d) To bury.
12. Ajax tells the Chorus that he is planning to purify himself how?
(a) By burying his sword.
(b) By going home.
(c) By burying his armor.
(d) By burning an offering to the gods.
13. What did the soldiers have out when they greeted Teucer?
14. How has Ajax planted his sword in the ground?
(a) Flat, on its side.
(b) Standing on its edge.
(c) Point first.
(d) Hilt first.
15. Why does Ajax's wife cover his dead body?
(a) To prevent others from knowing how he died.
(b) To keep herself clean while carrying the body.
(c) Because it is a horrible sight.
(d) To prevent someone from hurting the body.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls for Tecmessa to come listen to the messenger?
2. Who tells Teucer that Ajax's last wish was for him to raise his son?
3. What does the Chorus think that Menelaus will do when he comes to speak to Teucer?
4. Where does Ajax sit while he gives a soliloquy before he kills himself?
5. What does Ajax say that all things must bow to?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)