|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the Choruses first appear after Ajax's death, what are they complaining about?
(a) How hard their searches for Ajax are.
(b) How hot it is while they are searching.
(c) How their feet hurt from searching.
(d) How futile their searches are.
2. Who does Ajax want to find his body?
(c) His son.
(d) His father.
3. What is hubris?
(a) Excessive honor.
(b) Excessive boasting.
(c) Excessive bragging.
(d) Excessive pride.
4. What did the soldiers have out when they greeted Teucer?
5. When does Teucer say: O ghastly sight! Victim of ruthless courage!
(a) When the cover is lifted from Ajax's body.
(b) When Menelaus comes to talk to him.
(c) When he is praying about Ajax's death.
(d) When he sees Tecmessa weeping.
6. How has Ajax planted his sword in the ground?
(a) Flat, on its side.
(b) Hilt first.
(c) Standing on its edge.
(d) Point first.
7. Ajax tells the Chorus that he is planning to purify himself how?
(a) By burying his armor.
(b) By burning an offering to the gods.
(c) By going home.
(d) By burying his sword.
8. What does Ajax pray for, after praying that his friends follow through on his instructions to have his son raised by Teucer?
(a) He prays he finds contentment.
(b) He prays he finds rest.
(c) He prays he finds happiness.
(d) He prays he finds peace.
9. Who calls for Tecmessa to come listen to the messenger?
(b) The soldiers.
(c) The leaders.
(d) The Chorus.
10. Who made the prophecy the messenger refers to?
11. After hearing the messenger, who does Tecmessa order to search for Ajax and bring him back to his tent?
(a) The sailors.
(b) The soldiers.
(c) The Chorus.
(d) The servants.
12. What are some of the normal events, that take place off stage, that the messengers bring word of?
(a) Battles, marriages, deaths, suicides, and far-off events.
(b) Marriages, births, and battles.
(c) Suicides, battle,s or deaths.
(d) Ships sinking, deaths, and far-off events.
13. Who did Ajax take his sword from?
14. When Ajax leaves their presence, the Chorus rejoices in his what?
15. Who are the goddesses of vengeance?
(a) The Fates.
(b) The Furies.
(c) The Harpies.
(d) The Flurries.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Ajax's youth, what did he want to win alone, without the help of the gods?
2. What does Ajax mention doing to the sword during his soliloquy before his death?
3. How is Teucer greeted at the Greek camp?
4. What does Ajax tell the Chorus that Tecmessa awakened?
5. Who is the god of the sun?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)