|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Teucer arrives at the Greek camp, where does he come from?
(a) The Mysian plains.
(b) The Mysian heights.
(c) The Mysian ships.
(d) The Mysian shores.
2. What is a dirge?
(a) A song that expresses true love.
(b) A song to express feeling.
(c) A somber song to express evil feelings.
(d) A somber song to express mourning.
3. Who is "Thestor's son"?
(b) The Seer.
4. What is the term used to describe a speech given by a character alone on stage, normally inwardly directed?
5. Who made the prophecy the messenger refers to?
6. Why is acting out of revenge considered foolish?
(a) Because revenge is not honorable.
(b) Because emotional behavior is for women.
(c) Because you are acting out of emotion, not thought.
(d) Because revenge is for commoners.
7. What was Ajax's state of mind at his death?
8. The messenger tells the story the Seer told of Ajax's __________.
9. What does the Chorus call Menelaus, after Ajax's death?
(a) A fair mind and a friend.
(b) A friend and a foe.
(c) A villain and a foe.
(d) A lion in sheep's clothing.
10. What does Ajax mention doing to the sword during his soliloquy before his death?
(a) Using his sword.
(b) Polishing his sword.
(c) Dulling his sword.
(d) Sharpening his sword.
11. Who does Ajax pray will carry the news of his death to his parents?
12. Who tells Teucer that Ajax's last wish was for him to raise his son?
(b) The gods.
(c) The Chorus.
(d) Ajax's son.
13. Who does Ajax want to find his body?
(a) His father.
(b) His son.
14. After hearing the messenger, who does Tecmessa order to search for Ajax and bring him back to his tent?
(a) The soldiers.
(b) The Chorus.
(c) The sailors.
(d) The servants.
15. The characters, in Classical Greek theater, will view fighting against a prophecy as what?
(b) Their duty.
(c) Bringing honor to themselves.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Choruses first appear after Ajax's death, what are they complaining about?
2. When the Chorus calls for Tecmessa to come out of her tent, what do they call her?
3. Ajax tells the Chorus that he is planning to purify himself how?
4. Who attempts to see Ajax, and is refused by Tecmessa?
5. According to the messenger, if Calchas' prophecy doesn't come true, then what is Calchas?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)