|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who generally can break the cycle that killing and humiliation begin?
(a) The gods.
(b) A woman.
(d) An act of nature.
2. Who is the god of the sun?
3. Teucer predicts that his father will feel what kind of grief?
(a) Sorrowful and distant grief.
(b) Painful and angry grief.
(c) Ugly and horrendous grief.
(d) Pitiful and shameful grief.
4. When the Choruses first appear after Ajax's death, what are they complaining about?
(a) How their feet hurt from searching.
(b) How hard their searches for Ajax are.
(c) How futile their searches are.
(d) How hot it is while they are searching.
5. Where does Tecmessa want Ajax to meet Teucer?
(a) At the fire.
(b) In his hut.
(c) In his tent.
(d) On his ship.
6. When Ajax leaves their presence, the Chorus rejoices in his what?
7. In the stage directions, when Ajax dies, what is his body partially concealed by?
(a) The waves.
(b) The rocks.
(c) The trees.
(d) The underbrush.
8. Why does Ajax make his speech to the Chorus?
(a) To stop them from helping him.
(b) To stop them from following him.
(c) To stop them from pleading with him.
(d) To stop them from killing him.
9. At the beginning of Part III, who is Ajax prepared to make peace with?
(a) His fellow warriors.
(c) Agamemnon and Menelaus.
(d) His father.
10. What rules does Ajax say must be obeyed?
(a) The rules of nature.
(b) The rules of man.
(c) The rules of warfare.
(d) The rules of society.
11. Who told Ajax: Seek victory by the spear/But seek it always with the help of heaven?
(a) His brother.
(b) His father.
(c) His mentor.
(d) His mother.
12. What does the Chorus think that Menelaus will do when he comes to speak to Teucer?
(a) Steal Ajax's son.
(b) Take Ajax's body.
(c) Share more rumors.
(d) Mock his misery.
13. What does Ajax say that all things must bow to?
(a) The Gods.
14. What does Ajax mention doing to the sword during his soliloquy before his death?
(a) Using his sword.
(b) Polishing his sword.
(c) Dulling his sword.
(d) Sharpening his sword.
15. When the Chorus calls for Tecmessa to come out of her tent, what do they call her?
(a) Woman born to death.
(b) Woman born to pain.
(c) Woman born to fear.
(d) Woman born to sorrow.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the soldiers have out when they greeted Teucer?
2. Why is acting out of revenge considered foolish?
3. What purpose does the messenger serve in Classical Greek theater?
4. How is Teucer greeted at the Greek camp?
5. Where does Ajax sit while he gives a soliloquy before he kills himself?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)