|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the Chorus calls for Tecmessa to come out of her tent, what do they call her?
(a) Woman born to pain.
(b) Woman born to sorrow.
(c) Woman born to fear.
(d) Woman born to death.
2. In Ajax's youth, what did he want to win alone, without the help of the gods?
3. Why is acting out of revenge considered foolish?
(a) Because emotional behavior is for women.
(b) Because you are acting out of emotion, not thought.
(c) Because revenge is for commoners.
(d) Because revenge is not honorable.
4. After hearing the messenger, who does Tecmessa order to search for Ajax and bring him back to his tent?
(a) The sailors.
(b) The servants.
(c) The soldiers.
(d) The Chorus.
5. What was Ajax's state of mind at his death?
6. What does Ajax say the following words are: Foes' gifts are no gifts: profit bring they none?
(a) Ancient proverb.
(b) Good advice from wise counselors.
(c) Wisdom from his father.
(d) Wisdom from his mother.
7. At the end of Part III, Tecmessa realizes that Ajax has done what to her?
(a) Minimized her.
(b) Loved her.
(c) Deceived her.
(d) Hated her.
8. When the Choruses first appear after Ajax's death, what are they complaining about?
(a) How hard their searches for Ajax are.
(b) How their feet hurt from searching.
(c) How hot it is while they are searching.
(d) How futile their searches are.
9. When Ajax leaves their presence, the Chorus rejoices in his what?
10. What does the Chorus think that Menelaus will do when he comes to speak to Teucer?
(a) Take Ajax's body.
(b) Steal Ajax's son.
(c) Mock his misery.
(d) Share more rumors.
11. At the beginning of Part III, who is Ajax prepared to make peace with?
(a) His fellow warriors.
(b) His father.
(c) Agamemnon and Menelaus.
12. What did the soldiers have out when they greeted Teucer?
13. The characters, in Classical Greek theater, will view fighting against a prophecy as what?
(a) Their duty.
(b) Bringing honor to themselves.
14. Who made the prophecy the messenger refers to?
15. What purpose does the messenger serve in Classical Greek theater?
(a) He is a common narrative device.
(b) He is a minor character.
(c) He is a minor insight into the characters.
(d) He is a common informational device.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who told Ajax: Seek victory by the spear/But seek it always with the help of heaven?
2. What is a dirge?
3. Teucer predicts that his father will feel what kind of grief?
4. Where does Ajax sit while he gives a soliloquy before he kills himself?
5. How is Teucer greeted at the Greek camp?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)