|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Ajax take his sword from?
2. By struggling against a prophecy, the characters are struggling against what?
(b) The Gods.
3. Where does Part IV begin?
(a) On an isolated beach.
(b) In an isolated valley.
(c) Beside an isolated river.
(d) Next to a ship.
4. What does the Chorus think that Menelaus will do when he comes to speak to Teucer?
(a) Share more rumors.
(b) Take Ajax's body.
(c) Mock his misery.
(d) Steal Ajax's son.
5. When does Teucer say: O ghastly sight! Victim of ruthless courage!
(a) When he sees Tecmessa weeping.
(b) When Menelaus comes to talk to him.
(c) When he is praying about Ajax's death.
(d) When the cover is lifted from Ajax's body.
6. Who does Ajax call to claim him, before falling on his sword?
7. The messenger tells the story the Seer told of Ajax's __________.
8. How many parts are there to the Chorus' song between Ajax's speech and the arrival of the messenger?
9. The messenger tells a story to the Chorus that shows Ajax has what quality?
(a) Great intelligence.
(b) Great pride.
(c) Great cunning.
(d) Great confidence.
10. What rules does Ajax say must be obeyed?
(a) The rules of man.
(b) The rules of society.
(c) The rules of warfare.
(d) The rules of nature.
11. Ajax tells the Chorus that he is planning to purify himself how?
(a) By burying his armor.
(b) By burning an offering to the gods.
(c) By burying his sword.
(d) By going home.
12. Where does Ajax sit while he gives a soliloquy before he kills himself?
(a) In front of his sword.
(b) On a rock.
(c) In the water.
(d) Next to a tree.
13. After hearing the messenger, who does Tecmessa order to search for Ajax and bring him back to his tent?
(a) The sailors.
(b) The soldiers.
(c) The Chorus.
(d) The servants.
14. At the end of Part III, Tecmessa realizes that Ajax has done what to her?
(a) Deceived her.
(b) Hated her.
(c) Minimized her.
(d) Loved her.
15. What does Ajax pray for, after praying that his friends follow through on his instructions to have his son raised by Teucer?
(a) He prays he finds contentment.
(b) He prays he finds happiness.
(c) He prays he finds peace.
(d) He prays he finds rest.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who told Ajax: Seek victory by the spear/But seek it always with the help of heaven?
2. In Greek drama, killing and humiliation bring what?
3. When the Chorus calls for Tecmessa to come out of her tent, what do they call her?
4. Who does Ajax pray will carry the news of his death to his parents?
5. Who does Ajax want to find his body?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)