|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Chorus call Menelaus, after Ajax's death?
(a) A fair mind and a friend.
(b) A villain and a foe.
(c) A lion in sheep's clothing.
(d) A friend and a foe.
2. Why does Ajax make his speech to the Chorus?
(a) To stop them from killing him.
(b) To stop them from pleading with him.
(c) To stop them from helping him.
(d) To stop them from following him.
3. In Ajax's youth, what did he want to win alone, without the help of the gods?
4. At the end of Part III, Tecmessa realizes that Ajax has done what to her?
(a) Loved her.
(b) Deceived her.
(c) Minimized her.
(d) Hated her.
5. What was Ajax's state of mind at his death?
6. Teucer predicts that his father will feel what kind of grief?
(a) Sorrowful and distant grief.
(b) Painful and angry grief.
(c) Pitiful and shameful grief.
(d) Ugly and horrendous grief.
7. Who is the god of the sun?
8. What does Ajax say that all things must bow to?
(c) The Gods.
9. When does Teucer say: O ghastly sight! Victim of ruthless courage!
(a) When he sees Tecmessa weeping.
(b) When he is praying about Ajax's death.
(c) When the cover is lifted from Ajax's body.
(d) When Menelaus comes to talk to him.
10. What is a dirge?
(a) A somber song to express evil feelings.
(b) A somber song to express mourning.
(c) A song to express feeling.
(d) A song that expresses true love.
11. What rules does Ajax say must be obeyed?
(a) The rules of nature.
(b) The rules of warfare.
(c) The rules of society.
(d) The rules of man.
12. What does inter mean?
(a) To put away.
(b) To clothe.
(c) To save.
(d) To bury.
13. Why does Ajax's wife cover his dead body?
(a) Because it is a horrible sight.
(b) To keep herself clean while carrying the body.
(c) To prevent someone from hurting the body.
(d) To prevent others from knowing how he died.
14. How is Teucer greeted at the Greek camp?
(a) With isolation.
(b) With cheers and happiness.
(c) With silence.
(d) With taunts and insults.
15. When the Chorus calls for Tecmessa to come out of her tent, what do they call her?
(a) Woman born to death.
(b) Woman born to pain.
(c) Woman born to fear.
(d) Woman born to sorrow.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are some of the normal events, that take place off stage, that the messengers bring word of?
2. Why is acting out of revenge considered foolish?
3. What purpose does the messenger serve in Classical Greek theater?
4. Where does Tecmessa want Ajax to meet Teucer?
5. What does the Chorus think that Menelaus will do when he comes to speak to Teucer?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)