|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Ajax call to claim him, before falling on his sword?
2. The messenger tells the story the Seer told of Ajax's __________.
3. Why is revenge often a theme in Greek plays?
(a) Because it helps explore humanity's dark side.
(b) Because it was a common way of life.
(c) Because it shows humanity's duplicity.
(d) Because it helps explore humanity's passionate and impulsive nature.
4. Teucer's comments about Hector reveal a secondary theme, which is what?
5. Who attempts to see Ajax, and is refused by Tecmessa?
(a) The Chorus.
(b) The leader.
(c) Her son.
(d) The messenger.
6. What is a dirge?
(a) A somber song to express mourning.
(b) A somber song to express evil feelings.
(c) A song to express feeling.
(d) A song that expresses true love.
7. At the end of Part III, Tecmessa realizes that Ajax has done what to her?
(a) Hated her.
(b) Loved her.
(c) Minimized her.
(d) Deceived her.
8. What does Ajax pray for, after praying that his friends follow through on his instructions to have his son raised by Teucer?
(a) He prays he finds happiness.
(b) He prays he finds peace.
(c) He prays he finds rest.
(d) He prays he finds contentment.
9. Who generally can break the cycle that killing and humiliation begin?
(a) An act of nature.
(c) A woman.
(d) The gods.
10. What does inter mean?
(a) To bury.
(b) To clothe.
(c) To save.
(d) To put away.
11. Who enters while Ajax is speaking to the Chorus in Part III?
(c) His son.
12. By struggling against a prophecy, the characters are struggling against what?
(c) The Gods.
13. At the beginning of Part III, who is Ajax prepared to make peace with?
(a) His fellow warriors.
(b) Agamemnon and Menelaus.
(d) His father.
14. Who discovers Ajax's body?
15. The characters, in Classical Greek theater, will view fighting against a prophecy as what?
(a) Their duty.
(d) Bringing honor to themselves.
Short Answer Questions
1. The messenger was supposed to keep Ajax in what location until Teucer could speak with him?
2. How has Ajax planted his sword in the ground?
3. Who did Ajax take his sword from?
4. What was Ajax's state of mind at his death?
5. Where does Ajax tell the Chorus he is going to go in order to appease Athena's wrath?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)