|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is revenge often a theme in Greek plays?
(a) Because it shows humanity's duplicity.
(b) Because it helps explore humanity's passionate and impulsive nature.
(c) Because it helps explore humanity's dark side.
(d) Because it was a common way of life.
2. Who says: Men of ill judgment oft ignore the good /That lies within their hands, till they have lost it.
(d) The Chorus.
3. Who does Ajax call to claim him, before falling on his sword?
4. After hearing the messenger, who does Tecmessa order to search for Ajax and bring him back to his tent?
(a) The servants.
(b) The Chorus.
(c) The soldiers.
(d) The sailors.
5. What does the Chorus call Menelaus, after Ajax's death?
(a) A lion in sheep's clothing.
(b) A friend and a foe.
(c) A fair mind and a friend.
(d) A villain and a foe.
6. Who does Teucer predict his father will vent his grief against?
(a) Those who betrayed Ajax.
(b) Those who didn't stop Ajax.
(c) Those who fought Ajax.
(d) Those who shamed Ajax.
7. In Ajax's youth, what did he want to win alone, without the help of the gods?
8. What purpose does the messenger serve in Classical Greek theater?
(a) He is a common narrative device.
(b) He is a minor character.
(c) He is a minor insight into the characters.
(d) He is a common informational device.
9. What does Ajax say the following words are: Foes' gifts are no gifts: profit bring they none?
(a) Ancient proverb.
(b) Wisdom from his mother.
(c) Wisdom from his father.
(d) Good advice from wise counselors.
10. Who does Ajax pray will carry the news of his death to his parents?
11. Who generally can break the cycle that killing and humiliation begin?
(a) An act of nature.
(b) The gods.
(c) A woman.
12. What does Ajax tell the Chorus that Tecmessa awakened?
(a) His mind.
(b) His sorrow.
(c) His pity.
(d) His conscious.
13. Who discovers Ajax's body?
14. When the Choruses first appear after Ajax's death, what are they complaining about?
(a) How their feet hurt from searching.
(b) How hot it is while they are searching.
(c) How hard their searches for Ajax are.
(d) How futile their searches are.
15. What does Ajax pray for, after praying that his friends follow through on his instructions to have his son raised by Teucer?
(a) He prays he finds contentment.
(b) He prays he finds happiness.
(c) He prays he finds peace.
(d) He prays he finds rest.
Short Answer Questions
1. How has Ajax planted his sword in the ground?
2. Who urges Teucer to plan Ajax's funeral?
3. At the beginning of Part III, who is Ajax prepared to make peace with?
4. When the Chorus calls for Tecmessa to come out of her tent, what do they call her?
5. What rules does Ajax say must be obeyed?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)