|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Teucer predict his father will vent his grief against?
(a) Those who didn't stop Ajax.
(b) Those who betrayed Ajax.
(c) Those who fought Ajax.
(d) Those who shamed Ajax.
2. What is the term used to describe a speech given by a character alone on stage, normally inwardly directed?
3. When the Choruses first appear after Ajax's death, what are they complaining about?
(a) How futile their searches are.
(b) How hot it is while they are searching.
(c) How hard their searches for Ajax are.
(d) How their feet hurt from searching.
4. Who does Ajax want to curse Agamemnon and Menelaus?
(a) The Fates.
(b) The Horsemen.
(c) The Furies.
(d) The Harpies.
5. What does Ajax's wife cover Ajax's body with?
(a) A robe.
(b) A towel.
(c) A rug.
(d) A blanket.
6. What does Ajax say that all things must bow to?
(d) The Gods.
7. What does Ajax mention doing to the sword during his soliloquy before his death?
(a) Sharpening his sword.
(b) Dulling his sword.
(c) Using his sword.
(d) Polishing his sword.
8. Who enters while Ajax is speaking to the Chorus in Part III?
(a) His son.
9. What rules does Ajax say must be obeyed?
(a) The rules of warfare.
(b) The rules of man.
(c) The rules of society.
(d) The rules of nature.
10. How is Teucer greeted at the Greek camp?
(a) With isolation.
(b) With silence.
(c) With taunts and insults.
(d) With cheers and happiness.
11. The messenger tells the story the Seer told of Ajax's __________.
12. Teucer's comments about Hector reveal a secondary theme, which is what?
13. What does Ajax say the following words are: Foes' gifts are no gifts: profit bring they none?
(a) Good advice from wise counselors.
(b) Ancient proverb.
(c) Wisdom from his father.
(d) Wisdom from his mother.
14. What did the soldiers have out when they greeted Teucer?
15. When does Teucer say: O ghastly sight! Victim of ruthless courage!
(a) When he is praying about Ajax's death.
(b) When the cover is lifted from Ajax's body.
(c) When he sees Tecmessa weeping.
(d) When Menelaus comes to talk to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Chorus think that Menelaus will do when he comes to speak to Teucer?
2. Why does Ajax's wife cover his dead body?
3. Teucer predicts that his father will feel what kind of grief?
4. Who generally can break the cycle that killing and humiliation begin?
5. According to the messenger, if Calchas' prophecy doesn't come true, then what is Calchas?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)