|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is acting out of revenge considered foolish?
(a) Because emotional behavior is for women.
(b) Because revenge is for commoners.
(c) Because you are acting out of emotion, not thought.
(d) Because revenge is not honorable.
2. Who attempts to see Ajax, and is refused by Tecmessa?
(a) The Chorus.
(b) The leader.
(c) The messenger.
(d) Her son.
3. The characters, in Classical Greek theater, will view fighting against a prophecy as what?
(b) Bringing honor to themselves.
(c) Their duty.
4. When the Chorus calls for Tecmessa to come out of her tent, what do they call her?
(a) Woman born to death.
(b) Woman born to sorrow.
(c) Woman born to fear.
(d) Woman born to pain.
5. According to the messenger, if Calchas' prophecy doesn't come true, then what is Calchas?
(a) Not a friend.
(b) Not a prophet.
(c) A foe.
(d) A fraud.
6. When Teucer arrives at the Greek camp, where does he come from?
(a) The Mysian ships.
(b) The Mysian shores.
(c) The Mysian plains.
(d) The Mysian heights.
7. Ajax tells the Chorus that he is planning to purify himself how?
(a) By burying his sword.
(b) By burning an offering to the gods.
(c) By going home.
(d) By burying his armor.
8. How has Ajax planted his sword in the ground?
(a) Hilt first.
(b) Flat, on its side.
(c) Standing on its edge.
(d) Point first.
9. By struggling against a prophecy, the characters are struggling against what?
(d) The Gods.
10. In the stage directions, when Ajax dies, what is his body partially concealed by?
(a) The waves.
(b) The trees.
(c) The underbrush.
(d) The rocks.
11. What is Ajax carrying when he enters in Part III?
(a) His armor.
(b) A spear.
(c) A knife.
(d) A sword.
12. After hearing the messenger, who does Tecmessa order to search for Ajax and bring him back to his tent?
(a) The sailors.
(b) The Chorus.
(c) The soldiers.
(d) The servants.
13. Who is "Thestor's son"?
(a) The Seer.
14. Why does Ajax's wife cover his dead body?
(a) To prevent someone from hurting the body.
(b) To prevent others from knowing how he died.
(c) To keep herself clean while carrying the body.
(d) Because it is a horrible sight.
15. What is the term used to describe a speech given by a character alone on stage, normally inwardly directed?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who urges Teucer to plan Ajax's funeral?
2. What was Ajax's state of mind at his death?
3. Who discovers Ajax's body?
4. Why is revenge often a theme in Greek plays?
5. At the beginning of Part III, who is Ajax prepared to make peace with?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)