|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ajax say the following words are: Foes' gifts are no gifts: profit bring they none?
(a) Wisdom from his mother.
(b) Wisdom from his father.
(c) Good advice from wise counselors.
(d) Ancient proverb.
2. What was Ajax's state of mind at his death?
3. How are prophecies in Classical Greek theater perceived?
(a) As partial truths.
(b) As full truths.
(c) As possibly wrong.
(d) As infallible.
4. What was Hector tied to, and then drug behind?
(a) Achilles' horse.
(b) Odysseus' horse.
(c) Odysseus' chariot.
(d) Achilles' chariot.
5. How many parts is the Chorus split into after Ajax's death?
6. Why does Ajax make his speech to the Chorus?
(a) To stop them from helping him.
(b) To stop them from following him.
(c) To stop them from pleading with him.
(d) To stop them from killing him.
7. The messenger was supposed to keep Ajax in what location until Teucer could speak with him?
(a) In the camp.
(b) On his ship.
(c) In the infirmary.
(d) In his tent.
8. Teucer predicts that his father will feel what kind of grief?
(a) Painful and angry grief.
(b) Pitiful and shameful grief.
(c) Ugly and horrendous grief.
(d) Sorrowful and distant grief.
9. Why is revenge often a theme in Greek plays?
(a) Because it helps explore humanity's dark side.
(b) Because it helps explore humanity's passionate and impulsive nature.
(c) Because it was a common way of life.
(d) Because it shows humanity's duplicity.
10. What does Ajax pray for, after praying that his friends follow through on his instructions to have his son raised by Teucer?
(a) He prays he finds rest.
(b) He prays he finds happiness.
(c) He prays he finds contentment.
(d) He prays he finds peace.
11. In Ajax's youth, what did he want to win alone, without the help of the gods?
12. Who urges Teucer to plan Ajax's funeral?
(a) The Chorus.
(c) Ajax's son.
13. When Teucer arrives at the Greek camp, where does he come from?
(a) The Mysian heights.
(b) The Mysian shores.
(c) The Mysian plains.
(d) The Mysian ships.
14. What does the Chorus call Menelaus, after Ajax's death?
(a) A lion in sheep's clothing.
(b) A fair mind and a friend.
(c) A villain and a foe.
(d) A friend and a foe.
15. By struggling against a prophecy, the characters are struggling against what?
(b) The Gods.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Tecmessa want Ajax to meet Teucer?
2. Who does Ajax want to curse Agamemnon and Menelaus?
3. At the end of Part III, Tecmessa realizes that Ajax has done what to her?
4. What is Ajax carrying when he enters in Part III?
5. After hearing the messenger, who does Tecmessa order to search for Ajax and bring him back to his tent?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)