|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are prophecies in Classical Greek theater perceived?
(a) As infallible.
(b) As partial truths.
(c) As full truths.
(d) As possibly wrong.
2. Teucer's comments about Hector reveal a secondary theme, which is what?
3. Who did Ajax take his sword from?
4. Who does Ajax want to find his body?
(a) His father.
(d) His son.
5. What is the term used to describe a speech given by a character alone on stage, normally inwardly directed?
6. Who is "Thestor's son"?
(c) The Seer.
7. In the stage directions, when Ajax dies, what is his body partially concealed by?
(a) The underbrush.
(b) The trees.
(c) The waves.
(d) The rocks.
8. What rules does Ajax say must be obeyed?
(a) The rules of society.
(b) The rules of warfare.
(c) The rules of man.
(d) The rules of nature.
9. What is Ajax carrying when he enters in Part III?
(a) His armor.
(b) A knife.
(c) A spear.
(d) A sword.
10. By struggling against a prophecy, the characters are struggling against what?
(b) The Gods.
11. How has Ajax planted his sword in the ground?
(a) Standing on its edge.
(b) Hilt first.
(c) Point first.
(d) Flat, on its side.
12. What was Hector tied to, and then drug behind?
(a) Odysseus' horse.
(b) Achilles' chariot.
(c) Odysseus' chariot.
(d) Achilles' horse.
13. Who discovers Ajax's body?
14. After hearing the messenger, who does Tecmessa order to search for Ajax and bring him back to his tent?
(a) The sailors.
(b) The servants.
(c) The soldiers.
(d) The Chorus.
15. At the end of Part III, Tecmessa realizes that Ajax has done what to her?
(a) Loved her.
(b) Hated her.
(c) Deceived her.
(d) Minimized her.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the messenger, if Calchas' prophecy doesn't come true, then what is Calchas?
2. Teucer predicts that his father will feel what kind of grief?
3. At the beginning of Part III, who is Ajax prepared to make peace with?
4. Ajax tells the Chorus that he is planning to purify himself how?
5. The messenger tells a story to the Chorus that shows Ajax has what quality?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)