|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ajax slaughter a herd of cattle?
(a) Out of madness.
(b) Out of fear.
(c) Out of jealousy.
(d) Out of spite.
2. What did Ajax do in the middle of the carnage that he wrought?
3. What does the Chorus believe has afflicted Ajax?
4. What does Athena say she will do to Odysseus before having Ajax appear?
(a) Make him stronger.
(b) Make him invisible.
(c) Make him wiser.
(d) Make him invincible.
5. Who does Ajax think Achilles would have wanted to have his things?
(c) The gods.
(d) His mother.
6. What role does the discussion between Odysseus and Athena, at the beginning of the play, serve?
(a) As the exposition.
(b) As the climax.
(c) As the rising action.
(d) As the falling action.
7. What does the Chorus call the mood that Ajax is in during Part II?
(a) A failing mood.
(b) A curse.
(c) A dark mood.
(d) A black mood.
8. What direction does the Chorus move when singing the strophe?
(a) Back to front.
(b) Right to left.
(c) Left to right.
(d) Front to back.
9. How many people accompany Ajax's son onto the stage?
10. What device is used, in Part II, to indicate that Ajax will die?
11. What will happen to the rest of Ajax's armor?
(a) It will be burned.
(b) It will be buried with him.
(c) It will be used by someone else.
(d) It will be thrown in the ocean.
12. Who does the Chorus think will grieve if Ajax continues to be self-destructive?
(a) His sister.
(b) His mother.
(c) His aunt.
(d) His grandmother.
13. Tecmessa and Ajax's son leave the stage when Ajax shuts himself into what?
(a) His carriage.
(b) His tent.
(c) His house.
(d) His ship.
14. What does Ajax strive not to be in his actions?
(a) A smart man.
(b) A religious man.
(c) A coward.
(d) A fool.
15. What does the Chorus think should "hide one who is sick in soul"?
(b) The forrest.
(c) The sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ajax tell Athena that he thinks he has captured, and will torture?
2. What is Odysseus examining when Athena appears?
3. Who is the first speaker in the play?
4. Who says, "As God appoints, so every man laughs or laments?"
5. Who brings Ajax's son onto the stage?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)