|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Tecmessa confirms, to the Chorus, that Ajax slaughtered cattle, what does the Chorus say it might be time to do?
2. What does the Chorus believe has afflicted Ajax?
3. What device is used, in Part II, to indicate that Ajax will die?
4. What is the name of the group of leaders who decides to give Odysseus the things of Achilles that Ajax wanted?
(a) The Ristrivide.
(b) The Senate.
(c) The Council.
(d) The Atreidae.
5. What is Odysseus king of?
6. What time of day is it at the beginning of the play?
7. From what does Ajax's anger at Greek leadership stem?
(a) His illness.
(b) His injuries.
(c) His greed.
(d) His wounded honor.
8. How does Athena first refer to Odysseus?
(a) Son of Langed.
(b) Son of Lamentes.
(c) Son of Lional.
(d) Son of Laertes.
9. During Ajax's long speech in Part II, what does he feel has been destroyed?
(a) His reputation.
(b) His soul.
(c) His life.
(d) His honor.
10. Who does Ajax first ask to kill him to put him out of his misery?
(a) His father.
(b) The Chorus.
(c) His son.
(d) His brother.
11. What direction does the Chorus move when singing the strophe?
(a) Back to front.
(b) Right to left.
(c) Left to right.
(d) Front to back.
12. What does Athena say she will do to Odysseus before having Ajax appear?
(a) Make him invincible.
(b) Make him stronger.
(c) Make him invisible.
(d) Make him wiser.
13. What does Ajax strive not to be in his actions?
(a) A fool.
(b) A coward.
(c) A religious man.
(d) A smart man.
14. In Part I, who is the Chorus made up of?
15. Which god does Ajax ask for help in the first part of the play?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Odysseus when Athena appears to him?
2. Who does Ajax tell Athena that he thinks he has captured, and will torture?
3. What sea would Ajax have to sail over to get home?
4. What role does the discussion between Odysseus and Athena, at the beginning of the play, serve?
5. When does honor first appear as a theme in the play?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)