|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the Chorus think will grieve if Ajax continues to be self-destructive?
(a) His aunt.
(b) His mother.
(c) His sister.
(d) His grandmother.
2. Who is Athena?
(a) Goddess of conflict.
(b) Goddess of strife.
(c) Goddess of war.
(d) Goddess of peace.
3. During Ajax's long speech in Part II, what does he feel has been destroyed?
(a) His soul.
(b) His reputation.
(c) His honor.
(d) His life.
4. Who is the only warrior greater than Ajax?
5. Who does Ajax feel has done him an injustice?
(a) Agamemnon and Odysseus.
(b) Menelaus and Odysseus.
(c) Agamemnon and Menelaus.
(d) His father and Agamemnon.
6. Who does the Chorus believe spread a rumor about Ajax slaughtering cattle?
7. What direction does the Chorus move when singing the strophe?
(a) Left to right.
(b) Front to back.
(c) Right to left.
(d) Back to front.
8. Why does Ajax slaughter a herd of cattle?
(a) Out of jealousy.
(b) Out of madness.
(c) Out of spite.
(d) Out of fear.
9. The Chorus thinks, during Part I, that Ajax's actions are a smear campaign carried out by the generals or by whom?
(b) His wife.
(c) The gods.
(d) The spirits of slain warriors.
10. What time of day is it at the beginning of the play?
11. What did Ajax do in the middle of the carnage that he wrought?
12. Who brings Ajax's son onto the stage?
13. What does Ajax compare living without honor to?
(b) Living in fear.
(c) Capture by the enemy.
(d) Living in shame.
14. Who does Ajax give his son's care to?
(a) His mother.
(d) His father.
15. What is Odysseus examining when Athena appears?
(a) The sky.
(b) The stars.
(c) The trees.
(d) The ground.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Telamon?
2. What role does the discussion between Odysseus and Athena, at the beginning of the play, serve?
3. What device is used, in Part II, to indicate that Ajax will die?
4. Who says: Nobly to live, or else nobly to die/Befits proud birth?
5. Who is the first speaker in the play?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)