|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the first speaker in the play?
(b) The Chorus.
2. Who does Ajax tell Athena that he thinks he has captured, and will torture?
3. The Chorus urges Ajax not to dishonor them, but to do what?
(a) Return to his tent.
(b) Take back his insolence against the gods.
(c) Return to sanity.
(d) Pay heed to the gods.
4. When Tecmessa confirms, to the Chorus, that Ajax slaughtered cattle, what does the Chorus say it might be time to do?
5. The Chorus thinks, during Part I, that Ajax's actions are a smear campaign carried out by the generals or by whom?
(b) His wife.
(c) The spirits of slain warriors.
(d) The gods.
6. What did Ajax do in the middle of the carnage that he wrought?
7. Who does Ajax give his son's care to?
(a) His father.
(c) His mother.
8. From what does Ajax's anger at Greek leadership stem?
(a) His illness.
(b) His greed.
(c) His wounded honor.
(d) His injuries.
9. How does Ajax's wife try to talk him out of killing himself?
(a) By mentioning that he has people depending on him.
(b) By asking him to consider his father's shame if he killed himself.
(c) By mentioning he has a son to raise.
(d) By asking him to consider her shame if he killed himself.
10. What role does the discussion between Odysseus and Athena, at the beginning of the play, serve?
(a) As the exposition.
(b) As the climax.
(c) As the falling action.
(d) As the rising action.
11. What is the antistrophe?
(a) The turning of the Chorus towards the audience.
(b) The beginning of the Chorus' song.
(c) The turning of the Chorus the other way.
(d) The dancing of the Chorus.
12. Who confirms Odysseus' suspicions that Ajax slaughtered a herd of cattle?
13. Where is Odysseus when Athena appears to him?
(a) Outside Ajax's ship.
(b) Outside Ajax's tent.
(c) Outside Ajax's home.
(d) Outside Ajax's wagon.
14. What will happen to Ajax's wife if he dies?
(a) Is given to another man.
(b) Becomes a slave.
(c) Has to stay home and raise her son.
15. When is this play set?
(a) Late in the Spartan War.
(b) Early in the Trojan War.
(c) Early in the Spartan War.
(d) Late in the Trojan War.
Short Answer Questions
1. What traditional element of Classical Greek theater consists of a number of actors speaking with a single voice?
2. Who says: Nobly to live, or else nobly to die/Befits proud birth?
3. What does Ajax tell his son that he must become?
4. Why does Ajax refuse to go home?
5. What is the name of the group of leaders who decides to give Odysseus the things of Achilles that Ajax wanted?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)