|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Athena say she will do to Odysseus before having Ajax appear?
(a) Make him wiser.
(b) Make him invisible.
(c) Make him stronger.
(d) Make him invincible.
2. How many people accompany Ajax's son onto the stage?
3. Who does the Chorus believe spread a rumor about Ajax slaughtering cattle?
4. What is the antistrophe?
(a) The beginning of the Chorus' song.
(b) The turning of the Chorus towards the audience.
(c) The dancing of the Chorus.
(d) The turning of the Chorus the other way.
5. Which side is Ajax fighting on?
6. The Chorus urges Ajax not to dishonor them, but to do what?
(a) Return to sanity.
(b) Take back his insolence against the gods.
(c) Return to his tent.
(d) Pay heed to the gods.
7. How many parts are there to the Chorus' song that ends Part II?
8. Tecmessa assures the Chorus that Ajax is filled with what emotion over his slaughter of the cattle?
9. Why does Ajax refuse to go home?
(a) Doesn't want to leave the battle.
(b) Doesn't want to leave Odysseus behind.
(c) Doesn't want to face the humiliation.
(d) Doesn't want to raise his son.
10. Who is Telamon?
(a) Ajax's son.
(b) Ajax's king.
(c) Ajax's father.
(d) Ajax's brother.
11. When Tecmessa confirms, to the Chorus, that Ajax slaughtered cattle, what does the Chorus say it might be time to do?
12. What traditional element of Classical Greek theater consists of a number of actors speaking with a single voice?
(a) The Orchestra.
(b) The Group.
(c) The Chorus.
(d) The Men.
13. What does Ajax compare living without honor to?
(a) Living in shame.
(b) Capture by the enemy.
(c) Living in fear.
14. Who is the only warrior greater than Ajax?
15. Who is Tecmessa?
(a) Ajax's wife.
(b) Ajax's captive.
(c) Ajax's daughter.
(d) Ajax's servant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Chorus think will grieve if Ajax continues to be self-destructive?
2. Who brings Ajax's son onto the stage?
3. Who does Ajax first ask to kill him to put him out of his misery?
4. What is the epode?
5. Why does Ajax slaughter a herd of cattle?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)