|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the first speaker in the play?
(b) The Chorus.
2. Who does the Chorus believe spread a rumor about Ajax slaughtering cattle?
3. What is Odysseus king of?
4. During Ajax's long speech in Part II, what does he feel has been destroyed?
(a) His honor.
(b) His soul.
(c) His life.
(d) His reputation.
5. Who does the Chorus think will grieve if Ajax continues to be self-destructive?
(a) His aunt.
(b) His grandmother.
(c) His mother.
(d) His sister.
6. How does Athena first refer to Odysseus?
(a) Son of Lamentes.
(b) Son of Langed.
(c) Son of Lional.
(d) Son of Laertes.
7. What is the function of the Chorus in Part I?
(a) To serve as support for Ajax's wife.
(b) To serve as a warning to Ajax.
(c) To serve as help for Odysseus.
(d) To serve as Ajax's cheering section.
8. When Tecmessa confirms, to the Chorus, that Ajax slaughtered cattle, what does the Chorus say it might be time to do?
9. What does Ajax give to his son when he tells him that he must become a warrior?
(a) His sword.
(b) His ring.
(c) His horse.
(d) His shield.
10. What is the antistrophe?
(a) The beginning of the Chorus' song.
(b) The dancing of the Chorus.
(c) The turning of the Chorus the other way.
(d) The turning of the Chorus towards the audience.
11. What is Ajax's mother's name?
12. What does Ajax compare living without honor to?
(a) Living in shame.
(b) Living in fear.
(d) Capture by the enemy.
13. Who is the only warrior greater than Ajax?
14. What direction does the Chorus move when singing the antistrophe?
(a) Left to right.
(b) Right to left.
(c) Back to front.
(d) Front to back.
15. When does honor first appear as a theme in the play?
(a) In the Chorus' first lines.
(b) In the Chorus' third lines.
(c) In the Chorus' last lines.
(d) In the Chorus' second lines.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Chorus call the mood that Ajax is in during Part II?
2. The Chorus urges Ajax not to dishonor them, but to do what?
3. Who does Ajax think Achilles would have wanted to have his things?
4. The Chorus thinks, during Part I, that Ajax's actions are a smear campaign carried out by the generals or by whom?
5. Who does Ajax first ask to kill him to put him out of his misery?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)