|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the strophe?
(a) The middle of the Chorus' song.
(b) The turning of the Chorus away from the audience.
(c) The turning of the Chorus to one side.
(d) The finishing of the Chorus' song.
2. Where are Tecmessa's parents?
(a) In slavery somewhere.
(c) On a boat.
3. Where is Odysseus when Athena appears to him?
(a) Outside Ajax's ship.
(b) Outside Ajax's tent.
(c) Outside Ajax's home.
(d) Outside Ajax's wagon.
4. What is the function of the Chorus in Part I?
(a) To serve as Ajax's cheering section.
(b) To serve as help for Odysseus.
(c) To serve as support for Ajax's wife.
(d) To serve as a warning to Ajax.
5. What did Odysseus get that Ajax wanted?
(a) Achilles' wife.
(b) Achilles' land.
(c) Achilles' title.
(d) Achilles' armor and weapons.
6. Tecmessa and Ajax's son leave the stage when Ajax shuts himself into what?
(a) His carriage.
(b) His ship.
(c) His tent.
(d) His house.
7. Tecmessa assures the Chorus that Ajax is filled with what emotion over his slaughter of the cattle?
8. Who is the first speaker in the play?
(a) The Chorus.
9. How does Ajax's wife try to talk him out of killing himself?
(a) By mentioning that he has people depending on him.
(b) By mentioning he has a son to raise.
(c) By asking him to consider his father's shame if he killed himself.
(d) By asking him to consider her shame if he killed himself.
10. Who does Ajax tell Athena that he thinks he has captured, and will torture?
11. What device is used, in Part II, to indicate that Ajax will die?
12. When does honor first appear as a theme in the play?
(a) In the Chorus' third lines.
(b) In the Chorus' last lines.
(c) In the Chorus' second lines.
(d) In the Chorus' first lines.
13. Who doubts Tecmessa when she says that Ajax is regaining his sanity?
(c) The Chorus.
14. What traditional element of Classical Greek theater consists of a number of actors speaking with a single voice?
(a) The Group.
(b) The Chorus.
(c) The Men.
(d) The Orchestra.
15. What direction does the Chorus move when singing the strophe?
(a) Back to front.
(b) Left to right.
(c) Right to left.
(d) Front to back.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Athena protect throughout the war?
2. Who does the Chorus think will grieve if Ajax continues to be self-destructive?
3. Why does Ajax slaughter a herd of cattle?
4. Who says, "As God appoints, so every man laughs or laments?"
5. Ajax pleads to be allowed to die but says that who is keeping him alive?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)