|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who marries Starbuck?
2. What is the captain's name?
3. What is Maria's last name?
4. What is the name of Starbuck's son?
5. What is used to try and toughen Ahab's bleeding stump?
Short Essay Questions
1. What suggestion does Mary Starbuck make to Una? What is Una's response? What is Una's next step?
2. What does Una receive from the captains? What news arrives from Ahab?
3. In chapter 133, Mary and Una try to recover from their grief. Describe at least one of the activities the group does to make themselves feel better.
4. Judge Austin Lord invites Una and Justice to stay at his house. What transpires between the judge and Una?
5. What great tragedies befall Una in chapter ninety-one? Who is on hand to help Una?
6. How does the relationship between Una and Ahab change in this section? What does Ahab do to have Una for himself?
7. What happens to Ahab during his time away from Una?
8. Discuss the scene in which Ahab returns home.
9. Explain how the story reverts to the time before Justice's birth.
10. What news does Una receive regarding a mishap at sea? What happens to Ahab?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Una married twice during the course of the story. When it was learned that Judge Lord wanted to marry Una, she realized that she was content being unmarried. Later Una met Ishmael and the pair lived together and had a child. Discuss in detail Una's multiple and somewhat complicated relationships. Was it common for a person to go from one marriage to the next? What might have happened if Kit had returned from out West? Do you think Una would have taken him back? Do you think Kit and Charlotte got married? Why do you think Una and Ishmael never married?
Essay Topic 2
Robben Avalon tells Una that he wants to be her best friend forever but that Judge Lord is his soul mate. The news upset Una. Why was Una upset at this confession? What did Avalon mean by "soul mates?" Discuss the relationship between Avalon and Lord before and after the fire that destroyed the town.
Essay Topic 3
Una is influenced by Aunt Agatha's Unitarian faith and ideas on pacifism. Write a 750 word essay on Aunt Agatha's beliefs, how they differ from Bertha's beliefs, and how they affect Una. Also relate the Unitarian perspective on pacifism and racial equality.
This section contains 1,235 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)