|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Susan use to pay for her freedom?
2. The Pequod sails on which holiday?
3. Maria and Una go out at night to see which unusual occurrence?
4. What is Elijah's job?
5. The man is the captain of which ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Judge Austin Lord relate to Una's care after Ahab leaves Nantucket?
2. What is Una's reaction upon being married to Ahab?
3. Judge Austin Lord invites Una and Justice to stay at his house. What transpires between the judge and Una?
4. What tragedy befalls Nantucket? How does it change things? What are some of the steps people take to rebuild?
5. How does the relationship between Una and Ahab change in this section? What does Ahab do to have Una for himself?
6. Discuss Una's fear regarding Justice and Jim.
7. What does Una receive from the captains? What news arrives from Ahab?
8. What news does Una receive upon her return to Nantucket?
9. What happens to Ahab physically upon his return to Nantucket? How do Una and Ahab deal with the issue?
10. What does Una decide to do when she learns that she is pregnant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Robben Avalon tells Una that he wants to be her best friend forever but that Judge Lord is his soul mate. The news upset Una. Why was Una upset at this confession? What did Avalon mean by "soul mates?" Discuss the relationship between Avalon and Lord before and after the fire that destroyed the town.
Essay Topic 2
Write a short story from the point of Una regarding her first meeting with Ahab. How did the pair become friends and eventually lovers? Does the couple have anything in common at all? If so, what? How does Una adjust her life in regards to Ahab's work and long periods away at sea? How has the life of each character changed since they met?
Essay Topic 3
Naslund does not tell the story in chronological order, which may or may not confuse the issue regarding Una's relationship with Ahab and the birth of Justice. Discuss the purpose of this technique. Was Naslund intent on filling in the back story or was there another purpose to using this method? Was the technique effective? Explain. Rewrite one of the passages keeping the story in chronological order to make the story line clear.
This section contains 1,177 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)