|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who married the captain of the Petrel?
2. Who is not at the house in Concord?
3. Una visits the ____ twice a day.
4. Which of the following is not on the menu supplied by the judge for Una?
5. Ahab has returned home after losing which body part?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Elijah? What news does he deliver to Justice? What happens to Elijah?
2. Who is Captain Mayhew? Why does he visit Una? What offer does Mayhew make to Una?
3. Frannie's life changes a great deal during this time. What happens to Frannie? What major career move does Frannie make?
4. Discuss Una's fear regarding Justice and Jim.
5. Who is Susan? Why is she important to Una?
6. In chapter 133, Mary and Una try to recover from their grief. Describe at least one of the activities the group does to make themselves feel better.
7. There is a dinner party at the judge's house. Why does the judge throw a party? What other event does the group attend?
8. What does Una receive from the captains? What news arrives from Ahab?
9. What causes Una to turn to the stars? What is one of Una's dreams?
10. What news does Una receive upon her return to Nantucket?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Una is influenced by Aunt Agatha's Unitarian faith and ideas on pacifism. Write a 750 word essay on Aunt Agatha's beliefs, how they differ from Bertha's beliefs, and how they affect Una. Also relate the Unitarian perspective on pacifism and racial equality.
Essay Topic 2
Naslund does not tell the story in chronological order, which may or may not confuse the issue regarding Una's relationship with Ahab and the birth of Justice. Discuss the purpose of this technique. Was Naslund intent on filling in the back story or was there another purpose to using this method? Was the technique effective? Explain. Rewrite one of the passages keeping the story in chronological order to make the story line clear.
Essay Topic 3
Write a short memoir that might have been written by Ahab. What types of things would Ahab be most proud of in his career and personal lives? Would the memoir include details of his relationship with Una or would it focus more on his life at sea? How might Ahab describe how he felt before, during and after each encounter with Moby Dick? What might Ahab's last thoughts be before the Pequod went down?
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)