|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Starbuck's son?
2. Who is one of the owners of the Pequod?
3. Ahab tells Una about which seafaring creature?
4. Una becomes close friends with ___ now that Mary is gone.
5. Una asks the family to allow ___ to live with them.
Short Essay Questions
1. What suggestion does Mary Starbuck make to Una? What is Una's response? What is Una's next step?
2. What does Una decide to do when she learns that she is pregnant?
3. Who is Susan? Why is she important to Una?
4. Discuss Una's fear regarding Justice and Jim.
5. What tragedy befalls Nantucket? How does it change things? What are some of the steps people take to rebuild?
6. How do Una and Justice spend their time while Ahab is at sea? What is Justice's fear?
7. What causes Una to turn to the stars? What is one of Una's dreams?
8. Who is Robben Avalon? What is his relationship with Una?
9. What news does Una receive from Maria? How does it affect Una?
10. How does Judge Austin Lord relate to Una's care after Ahab leaves Nantucket?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Bertha and Ulysses. Are they close? Is there anything unusual about their relationship? How might the situation with Una affect the relationship? Why do you think Una and Ulysses cannot come to terms regarding religion? What extreme measures does Ulysses take to try to convince Una that his way is the only way? What is the final straw that causes Una to leave Kentucky? What is Bertha's opinion? How does Una's move affect the relationship between Bertha and Ulysses? How does the move affect the relationship between Una and Bertha.
Essay Topic 2
Captain Ahab has an interesting relationship with the owners of the Pequod. The men seem to respect one another although there are times when they are in competition. Discuss how the mutual admiration benefits their working relationship. Explore how Ahab's skill and style of leadership has helped to make him a success. What is Ahab's background and how does it compare to the backgrounds of the other captains?
Essay Topic 3
Assuming a psychiatrist's point of view, analyze the situation with Kit. Discuss Kit's history and how it might affect possible psychiatric care. What would a psychiatrist say about Kit's mental breakdown? What might a doctor say about Kit's attachment to Giles? Was Kit suffering from dementia, mental illness or something else? What would the terminology be from a psychiatrist's point of view? What kind of treatment might Kit have benefited from before the situation got out of hand? Is the behavior something that can be "cured?" If so, how? If not, what else can be done?
This section contains 1,193 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)