|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Poland's first name?
2. What do Maria and Una have in common?
3. Which river did Susan cross to gain her freedom?
4. What is the captain's name?
5. The job is located in _____..
Short Essay Questions
1. What great tragedies befall Una in chapter ninety-one? Who is on hand to help Una?
2. There is a dinner party at the judge's house. Why does the judge throw a party? What other event does the group attend?
3. What news does Una receive upon her return to Nantucket?
4. Who is Maria Mitchell? What does she have in common with Una?
5. Who is Robben Avalon? What is his relationship with Una?
6. What is Una's reaction upon being married to Ahab?
7. Judge Austin Lord invites Una and Justice to stay at his house. What transpires between the judge and Una?
8. In chapter 133, Mary and Una try to recover from their grief. Describe at least one of the activities the group does to make themselves feel better.
9. Who is Captain Mayhew? Why does he visit Una? What offer does Mayhew make to Una?
10. What does Una receive from the captains? What news arrives from Ahab?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Assuming a psychiatrist's point of view, analyze the situation with Kit. Discuss Kit's history and how it might affect possible psychiatric care. What would a psychiatrist say about Kit's mental breakdown? What might a doctor say about Kit's attachment to Giles? Was Kit suffering from dementia, mental illness or something else? What would the terminology be from a psychiatrist's point of view? What kind of treatment might Kit have benefited from before the situation got out of hand? Is the behavior something that can be "cured?" If so, how? If not, what else can be done?
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is used in many places throughout the book. Cite at least three examples of foreshadowing, their purpose and effectiveness. Where else might foreshadowing work in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the career and professional skills of Frederick Douglass and William Lloyd Garrison. Detail each man's educational history, professional status, evolution as an attorney, involvement in the abolitionist movement, and other famous cases in which he participated.
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)