|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is used to try and toughen Ahab's bleeding stump?
2. What item does the judge give to Justice?
3. Una talks about houses in the _______ style.
4. What did Susan use to pay for her freedom?
5. Who comes home with Justice?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 134 presents letters to Una from Margaret Fuller. Who is Margaret Fuller? Where is she located?
2. Who is Captain Mayhew? Why does he visit Una? What offer does Mayhew make to Una?
3. Discuss the scene in which Ahab returns home.
4. What suggestion does Mary Starbuck make to Una? What is Una's response? What is Una's next step?
5. Frannie's life changes a great deal during this time. What happens to Frannie? What major career move does Frannie make?
6. Who is Elijah? What news does he deliver to Justice? What happens to Elijah?
7. How does Judge Austin Lord relate to Una's care after Ahab leaves Nantucket?
8. Who is Maria Mitchell? What does she have in common with Una?
9. Who is Robben Avalon? What is his relationship with Una?
10. What tragedy befalls Nantucket? How does it change things? What are some of the steps people take to rebuild?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Bertha and Ulysses. Are they close? Is there anything unusual about their relationship? How might the situation with Una affect the relationship? Why do you think Una and Ulysses cannot come to terms regarding religion? What extreme measures does Ulysses take to try to convince Una that his way is the only way? What is the final straw that causes Una to leave Kentucky? What is Bertha's opinion? How does Una's move affect the relationship between Bertha and Ulysses? How does the move affect the relationship between Una and Bertha.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the career and professional skills of Frederick Douglass and William Lloyd Garrison. Detail each man's educational history, professional status, evolution as an attorney, involvement in the abolitionist movement, and other famous cases in which he participated.
Essay Topic 3
Naslund discusses the areas traveled by the various ships including the Sussex and the Pequod. Discuss the routes traveled by these ships as well as the common trade routes of the day. Examine the length of time it took the ships to travel the entire route and why some ships were gone years longer than others. Give a crew member's perspective and a captain's perspective on where a ship should travel and where the best opportunities lie for whaling. Compare those trade routes to ones commonly used today.
This section contains 1,172 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)