|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Elijah's job?
2. Una's neighbor refers to David as _____.
3. Una carried books of translations by which author?
4. The job is located in _____..
5. The story jumps ahead by how many years?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the scene in which Ahab returns home.
2. How does the relationship between Una and Ahab change in this section? What does Ahab do to have Una for himself?
3. Frannie's life changes a great deal during this time. What happens to Frannie? What major career move does Frannie make?
4. What does Una receive from the captains? What news arrives from Ahab?
5. What suggestion does Mary Starbuck make to Una? What is Una's response? What is Una's next step?
6. Who is Captain Mayhew? Why does he visit Una? What offer does Mayhew make to Una?
7. What happens to Ahab during his time away from Una?
8. Discuss Una's fear regarding Justice and Jim.
9. What news does Una receive regarding a mishap at sea? What happens to Ahab?
10. What happens to Ahab physically upon his return to Nantucket? How do Una and Ahab deal with the issue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Una and Frannie basically grew up as sisters. Discuss the relationship between Una and Frannie as children and then as adults. Who was the most grounded? Who was the most motivated? Who was the most intelligent? How did the relationship change after Una went away to sea?
Essay Topic 2
Robben Avalon tells Una that he wants to be her best friend forever but that Judge Lord is his soul mate. The news upset Una. Why was Una upset at this confession? What did Avalon mean by "soul mates?" Discuss the relationship between Avalon and Lord before and after the fire that destroyed the town.
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is used in many places throughout the book. Cite at least three examples of foreshadowing, their purpose and effectiveness. Where else might foreshadowing work in the story?
This section contains 1,199 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)