|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Una learns that Ahab had been cursed by a(n) ____ woman as a child.
2. Ahab is still bleeding but is determined to set sail on the Pequod in ____ days.
3. Who returns to help Una with the baby?
4. What item does the judge give to Justice?
5. The judge gives Una food to ward off which of the following ailments?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Una to turn to the stars? What is one of Una's dreams?
2. There is a dinner party at the judge's house. Why does the judge throw a party? What other event does the group attend?
3. What happens to Ahab physically upon his return to Nantucket? How do Una and Ahab deal with the issue?
4. Who is Captain Mayhew? Why does he visit Una? What offer does Mayhew make to Una?
5. How does the relationship between Una and Ahab change in this section? What does Ahab do to have Una for himself?
6. Judge Austin Lord invites Una and Justice to stay at his house. What transpires between the judge and Una?
7. In chapter 133, Mary and Una try to recover from their grief. Describe at least one of the activities the group does to make themselves feel better.
8. Who is Elijah? What news does he deliver to Justice? What happens to Elijah?
9. What news does Una receive upon her return to Nantucket?
10. Chapter 134 presents letters to Una from Margaret Fuller. Who is Margaret Fuller? Where is she located?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Naslund does not tell the story in chronological order, which may or may not confuse the issue regarding Una's relationship with Ahab and the birth of Justice. Discuss the purpose of this technique. Was Naslund intent on filling in the back story or was there another purpose to using this method? Was the technique effective? Explain. Rewrite one of the passages keeping the story in chronological order to make the story line clear.
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is used in many places throughout the book. Cite at least three examples of foreshadowing, their purpose and effectiveness. Where else might foreshadowing work in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Robben Avalon tells Una that he wants to be her best friend forever but that Judge Lord is his soul mate. The news upset Una. Why was Una upset at this confession? What did Avalon mean by "soul mates?" Discuss the relationship between Avalon and Lord before and after the fire that destroyed the town.
This section contains 1,240 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)