|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ahab was cursed because he did not catch a ______ for the woman.
2. What is Poland's first name?
3. The job is located in _____..
4. What is the profession of Una's neighbor?
5. Una sends $_____ in gold to her family in Kentucky.
Short Essay Questions
1. What tragedy befalls Nantucket? How does it change things? What are some of the steps people take to rebuild?
2. What does Una receive from the captains? What news arrives from Ahab?
3. Explain how the story reverts to the time before Justice's birth.
4. What is Una's reaction upon being married to Ahab?
5. In chapter 133, Mary and Una try to recover from their grief. Describe at least one of the activities the group does to make themselves feel better.
6. Who is Captain Mayhew? Why does he visit Una? What offer does Mayhew make to Una?
7. What suggestion does Mary Starbuck make to Una? What is Una's response? What is Una's next step?
8. What news does Una receive regarding a mishap at sea? What happens to Ahab?
9. Discuss Una's fear regarding Justice and Jim.
10. Judge Austin Lord invites Una and Justice to stay at his house. What transpires between the judge and Una?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kit and Giles were both objects of Una's affections early in the story. Examine the relationship Una had with each man. Also compare and contrast Kit and Giles on personal and professional levels. Do you think things might have been different if Giles had lived?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters, plots, settings, and outcomes of the stories in "Ahab's Wife, or, the Star-gazer: A Novel" by Sena Jeter Naslund and Herman Melville's Moby Dick." Use various the scenarios in the books for comparison. How do the storylines differ? What is the conclusion of each story? Which lead character did you like better? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is used in many places throughout the book. Cite at least three examples of foreshadowing, their purpose and effectiveness. Where else might foreshadowing work in the story?
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)