|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ahab has returned home after losing which body part?
2. Who married the captain of the Petrel?
3. Frannie goes to work with which famous figure?
4. What is Poland's first name?
5. Ahab is still bleeding but is determined to set sail on the Pequod in ____ days.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the scene in which Ahab returns home.
2. What tragedy befalls Nantucket? How does it change things? What are some of the steps people take to rebuild?
3. Chapter 134 presents letters to Una from Margaret Fuller. Who is Margaret Fuller? Where is she located?
4. What causes Una to turn to the stars? What is one of Una's dreams?
5. There is a dinner party at the judge's house. Why does the judge throw a party? What other event does the group attend?
6. Who is Susan? Why is she important to Una?
7. What news does Una receive upon her return to Nantucket?
8. Discuss Una's fear regarding Justice and Jim.
9. Judge Austin Lord invites Una and Justice to stay at his house. What transpires between the judge and Una?
10. What suggestion does Mary Starbuck make to Una? What is Una's response? What is Una's next step?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters, plots, settings, and outcomes of the stories in "Ahab's Wife, or, the Star-gazer: A Novel" by Sena Jeter Naslund and Herman Melville's Moby Dick." Use various the scenarios in the books for comparison. How do the storylines differ? What is the conclusion of each story? Which lead character did you like better? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Captain Ahab has an interesting relationship with the owners of the Pequod. The men seem to respect one another although there are times when they are in competition. Discuss how the mutual admiration benefits their working relationship. Explore how Ahab's skill and style of leadership has helped to make him a success. What is Ahab's background and how does it compare to the backgrounds of the other captains?
Essay Topic 3
Naslund discusses the areas traveled by the various ships including the Sussex and the Pequod. Discuss the routes traveled by these ships as well as the common trade routes of the day. Examine the length of time it took the ships to travel the entire route and why some ships were gone years longer than others. Give a crew member's perspective and a captain's perspective on where a ship should travel and where the best opportunities lie for whaling. Compare those trade routes to ones commonly used today.
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)