|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Charlotte received a letter from _____.
2. Maria lives on ____ street.
3. Where is Margaret at this point in the story?
4. What is the name of Una and Ahab's son?
5. Who is not at the house in Concord?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Una receive from Maria? How does it affect Una?
2. Frannie's life changes a great deal during this time. What happens to Frannie? What major career move does Frannie make?
3. Chapter 134 presents letters to Una from Margaret Fuller. Who is Margaret Fuller? Where is she located?
4. What news does Una receive regarding a mishap at sea? What happens to Ahab?
5. What happens to Ahab during his time away from Una?
6. What is Una's reaction upon being married to Ahab?
7. What does Una receive from the captains? What news arrives from Ahab?
8. What does Una decide to do when she learns that she is pregnant?
9. How does the relationship between Una and Ahab change in this section? What does Ahab do to have Una for himself?
10. What news does Una receive upon her return to Nantucket?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Bertha and Ulysses. Are they close? Is there anything unusual about their relationship? How might the situation with Una affect the relationship? Why do you think Una and Ulysses cannot come to terms regarding religion? What extreme measures does Ulysses take to try to convince Una that his way is the only way? What is the final straw that causes Una to leave Kentucky? What is Bertha's opinion? How does Una's move affect the relationship between Bertha and Ulysses? How does the move affect the relationship between Una and Bertha.
Essay Topic 2
Assuming a psychiatrist's point of view, analyze the situation with Kit. Discuss Kit's history and how it might affect possible psychiatric care. What would a psychiatrist say about Kit's mental breakdown? What might a doctor say about Kit's attachment to Giles? Was Kit suffering from dementia, mental illness or something else? What would the terminology be from a psychiatrist's point of view? What kind of treatment might Kit have benefited from before the situation got out of hand? Is the behavior something that can be "cured?" If so, how? If not, what else can be done?
Essay Topic 3
Naslund discusses the areas traveled by the various ships including the Sussex and the Pequod. Discuss the routes traveled by these ships as well as the common trade routes of the day. Examine the length of time it took the ships to travel the entire route and why some ships were gone years longer than others. Give a crew member's perspective and a captain's perspective on where a ship should travel and where the best opportunities lie for whaling. Compare those trade routes to ones commonly used today.
This section contains 1,271 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)