|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Una uses the cupola room for which activity?
2. Una carried books of translations by which author?
3. Who left a letter at Una's Kentucky home?
4. Who is one of the owners of the Pequod?
5. Who arrives in Kentucky alongside Frannie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What great tragedies befall Una in chapter ninety-one? Who is on hand to help Una?
2. What is Una's reaction upon being married to Ahab?
3. Who is Elijah? What news does he deliver to Justice? What happens to Elijah?
4. What tragedy befalls Nantucket? How does it change things? What are some of the steps people take to rebuild?
5. What suggestion does Mary Starbuck make to Una? What is Una's response? What is Una's next step?
6. What news does Una receive upon her return to Nantucket?
7. What does Una decide to do when she learns that she is pregnant?
8. Who is Robben Avalon? What is his relationship with Una?
9. Chapter 134 presents letters to Una from Margaret Fuller. Who is Margaret Fuller? Where is she located?
10. Who is Captain Mayhew? Why does he visit Una? What offer does Mayhew make to Una?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Una is influenced by Aunt Agatha's Unitarian faith and ideas on pacifism. Write a 750 word essay on Aunt Agatha's beliefs, how they differ from Bertha's beliefs, and how they affect Una. Also relate the Unitarian perspective on pacifism and racial equality.
Essay Topic 2
Naslund discusses the areas traveled by the various ships including the Sussex and the Pequod. Discuss the routes traveled by these ships as well as the common trade routes of the day. Examine the length of time it took the ships to travel the entire route and why some ships were gone years longer than others. Give a crew member's perspective and a captain's perspective on where a ship should travel and where the best opportunities lie for whaling. Compare those trade routes to ones commonly used today.
Essay Topic 3
Kit and Giles were both objects of Una's affections early in the story. Examine the relationship Una had with each man. Also compare and contrast Kit and Giles on personal and professional levels. Do you think things might have been different if Giles had lived?
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)