|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Una decide to buy while at the cabin?
2. Who left a letter at Una's Kentucky home?
3. Who is a guest at the meeting the next evening?
4. The story jumps ahead by how many years?
5. What is used to try and toughen Ahab's bleeding stump?
Short Essay Questions
1. Frannie's life changes a great deal during this time. What happens to Frannie? What major career move does Frannie make?
2. There is a dinner party at the judge's house. Why does the judge throw a party? What other event does the group attend?
3. Who is Elijah? What news does he deliver to Justice? What happens to Elijah?
4. Discuss Una's fear regarding Justice and Jim.
5. How does Judge Austin Lord relate to Una's care after Ahab leaves Nantucket?
6. What causes Una to turn to the stars? What is one of Una's dreams?
7. Who is Captain Mayhew? Why does he visit Una? What offer does Mayhew make to Una?
8. What great tragedies befall Una in chapter ninety-one? Who is on hand to help Una?
9. How does the relationship between Una and Ahab change in this section? What does Ahab do to have Una for himself?
10. What news does Una receive from Maria? How does it affect Una?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Captain Ahab has an interesting relationship with the owners of the Pequod. The men seem to respect one another although there are times when they are in competition. Discuss how the mutual admiration benefits their working relationship. Explore how Ahab's skill and style of leadership has helped to make him a success. What is Ahab's background and how does it compare to the backgrounds of the other captains?
Essay Topic 2
Slavery was becoming a hotbed issue in the 1840s. Susan is used as an allegory for the many slaves who attempted to escape and were caught, often more than once. Discuss in detail the slavery situation in Kentucky in the 1840s. Compare the situation to the slavery issue in Massachusetts. Was there anything that could ensure a person's freedom? Give details about Susan's run for freedom as well as others. Also give the point of view of the bounty hunter that visited Una in Kentucky.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters, plots, settings, and outcomes of the stories in "Ahab's Wife, or, the Star-gazer: A Novel" by Sena Jeter Naslund and Herman Melville's Moby Dick." Use various the scenarios in the books for comparison. How do the storylines differ? What is the conclusion of each story? Which lead character did you like better? Explain.
This section contains 1,146 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)