|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Una compares the judge to which famous figure?
2. Una asks the family to allow ___ to live with them.
3. Who returns to town with stories about Susan?
4. What kind of ceremony does Ahab perform for Una and Kit?
5. Una talks about houses in the _______ style.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Ahab during his time away from Una?
2. What does Una receive from the captains? What news arrives from Ahab?
3. In chapter 133, Mary and Una try to recover from their grief. Describe at least one of the activities the group does to make themselves feel better.
4. Who is Robben Avalon? What is his relationship with Una?
5. Who is Susan? Why is she important to Una?
6. Who is Elijah? What news does he deliver to Justice? What happens to Elijah?
7. What news does Una receive regarding a mishap at sea? What happens to Ahab?
8. What happens to Ahab physically upon his return to Nantucket? How do Una and Ahab deal with the issue?
9. Chapter 134 presents letters to Una from Margaret Fuller. Who is Margaret Fuller? Where is she located?
10. Discuss Una's fear regarding Justice and Jim.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kit and Giles were both objects of Una's affections early in the story. Examine the relationship Una had with each man. Also compare and contrast Kit and Giles on personal and professional levels. Do you think things might have been different if Giles had lived?
Essay Topic 2
Una married twice during the course of the story. When it was learned that Judge Lord wanted to marry Una, she realized that she was content being unmarried. Later Una met Ishmael and the pair lived together and had a child. Discuss in detail Una's multiple and somewhat complicated relationships. Was it common for a person to go from one marriage to the next? What might have happened if Kit had returned from out West? Do you think Una would have taken him back? Do you think Kit and Charlotte got married? Why do you think Una and Ishmael never married?
Essay Topic 3
Una is influenced by Aunt Agatha's Unitarian faith and ideas on pacifism. Write a 750 word essay on Aunt Agatha's beliefs, how they differ from Bertha's beliefs, and how they affect Una. Also relate the Unitarian perspective on pacifism and racial equality.
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)