|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Una visits the ____ twice a day.
2. Which of the following is not on the menu supplied by the judge for Una?
3. Tashtego works as a ____ aboard the Pequod.
4. Mary and Una take the children to the spring _____ event.
5. Who is a guest at the meeting the next evening?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Ahab physically upon his return to Nantucket? How do Una and Ahab deal with the issue?
2. Judge Austin Lord invites Una and Justice to stay at his house. What transpires between the judge and Una?
3. How does the relationship between Una and Ahab change in this section? What does Ahab do to have Una for himself?
4. Who is Maria Mitchell? What does she have in common with Una?
5. There is a dinner party at the judge's house. Why does the judge throw a party? What other event does the group attend?
6. What suggestion does Mary Starbuck make to Una? What is Una's response? What is Una's next step?
7. Discuss the scene in which Ahab returns home.
8. In chapter 133, Mary and Una try to recover from their grief. Describe at least one of the activities the group does to make themselves feel better.
9. What tragedy befalls Nantucket? How does it change things? What are some of the steps people take to rebuild?
10. What happens to Ahab during his time away from Una?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Frannie becomes dedicated to the anti-slavery movement and goes to work with Frederick Douglass. What does Frannie do for Douglass? What type of work would best suit Frannie? What prompts Frannie to want to work for Douglass? What most affected Frannie in regards to anti-slavery and racial equality? What types of contributions might Frannie make in her new job?
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is used in many places throughout the book. Cite at least three examples of foreshadowing, their purpose and effectiveness. Where else might foreshadowing work in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Una and Frannie basically grew up as sisters. Discuss the relationship between Una and Frannie as children and then as adults. Who was the most grounded? Who was the most motivated? Who was the most intelligent? How did the relationship change after Una went away to sea?
This section contains 1,278 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)