|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following proposes to Una?
2. What food does Una compare to sunshine?
3. Una talks with Giles about making a harness out of braided ____.
4. What is the name of the captain's young son?
5. What type of church does Una attend?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are Kit and Giles? How do they meet Una? What brings them to Nantucket?
2. Explain the relationship between Giles and Chester. Who makes the arrangements? How does Una use the arrangement to her advantage?
3. The Pequod finally arrives in Nantucket. What is promised by Ahab? Describe the actions of Kit and Una upon arrival. What strange occurrence happens when Kit and Una spend the night together?
4. Discuss Aunt Agatha's influence on Una regarding pacifism and women's rights.
5. What happens to Una after the Sussex sinks?
6. Ahab deals with Kit after his bout of dementia. What does Ahab do to try to keep Kit under control?
7. Una and Kit discuss the steps they took in order to stay alive while out at sea. What does the pair discuss?
8. Discuss the conversation between Starbuck and Una.
9. In chapter seventy-three, it becomes clear to Una that Kit is not going to improve. Discuss some of Kit's actions. What is Una's reaction?
10. Nantucket is an island that often depends on outside sources in order to function as an independent town/region. Explain how the area functions with limited supplies and resources.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Una is influenced by Aunt Agatha's Unitarian faith and ideas on pacifism. Write a 750 word essay on Aunt Agatha's beliefs, how they differ from Bertha's beliefs, and how they affect Una. Also relate the Unitarian perspective on pacifism and racial equality.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Naslund's use of Nantucket for the setting in "Ahab's Wife, or, the Star-gazer: A Novel". Why do you think Naslund chose Nantucket? How accurate do you think the setting is in regards to the real location? What areas are most commonly referenced in the story? What other location might have worked as well, if not better, than Nantucket? What is unique about the setting? What regionalisms are exhibited by Una and the rest of the characters? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Robben Avalon tells Una that he wants to be her best friend forever but that Judge Lord is his soul mate. The news upset Una. Why was Una upset at this confession? What did Avalon mean by "soul mates?" Discuss the relationship between Avalon and Lord before and after the fire that destroyed the town.
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)