|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of berries are not mentioned in relation to Nantucket?
2. In chapter 71, Una meets ____, Kit's old girlfriend.
3. Una thinks about making a living on land as a _____.
4. Tatting is the art of making _____.
5. Stubb jokes about a church dedicated to which animal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Una's relationships with Giles and Kit. How does Una feel about the men?
2. Una begins to think about her future on Nantucket. What are some of Una's thoughts?
3. What happens to Una after the Sussex sinks?
4. Una spends a great deal of time with Chester. Examine the friendship between Una and Chester. Also examine some of Una's activities on board the Sussex.
5. The Pequod finally arrives in Nantucket. What is promised by Ahab? Describe the actions of Kit and Una upon arrival. What strange occurrence happens when Kit and Una spend the night together?
6. Examine the scene in which Una becomes temporarily blinded.
7. Explain the relationship between Giles and Chester. Who makes the arrangements? How does Una use the arrangement to her advantage?
8. What activity does Una take up with Sallie Swain? What is the metaphor used by Una to describe her relationship with Kit and Giles?
9. What information does Ahab have for Una about Kit? What is Una's reaction?
10. Una decides to dress up as a cabin boy so that she can go out to sea with Kit and Giles. Examine Una's plan. Who does Una meet on the ship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Assuming a psychiatrist's point of view, analyze the situation with Kit. Discuss Kit's history and how it might affect possible psychiatric care. What would a psychiatrist say about Kit's mental breakdown? What might a doctor say about Kit's attachment to Giles? Was Kit suffering from dementia, mental illness or something else? What would the terminology be from a psychiatrist's point of view? What kind of treatment might Kit have benefited from before the situation got out of hand? Is the behavior something that can be "cured?" If so, how? If not, what else can be done?
Essay Topic 2
Una is influenced by Aunt Agatha's Unitarian faith and ideas on pacifism. Write a 750 word essay on Aunt Agatha's beliefs, how they differ from Bertha's beliefs, and how they affect Una. Also relate the Unitarian perspective on pacifism and racial equality.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters, plots, settings, and outcomes of the stories in "Ahab's Wife, or, the Star-gazer: A Novel" by Sena Jeter Naslund and Herman Melville's Moby Dick." Use various the scenarios in the books for comparison. How do the storylines differ? What is the conclusion of each story? Which lead character did you like better? Explain.
This section contains 1,185 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)