|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a porthole?
2. In chapter 12, Agatha and Jonathan take the girls to see which city?
3. Tatting is the art of making _____.
4. What is the name of the town nearest to the lighthouse?
5. Kit compares Una to which animal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine Una's connection with the lighthouse. How long did it take before Una fully explored the structure? Una often equated the lighthouse to freedom. Explain Una's feelings toward the lighthouse.
2. What happens while Una is incapacitated with illness?
3. Examine the scene in which Una becomes temporarily blinded.
4. Una decides to dress up as a cabin boy so that she can go out to sea with Kit and Giles. Examine Una's plan. Who does Una meet on the ship?
5. How are foreshadowing and flashback used in this first section?
6. Who are Kit and Giles? How do they meet Una? What brings them to Nantucket?
7. Ahab deals with Kit after his bout of dementia. What does Ahab do to try to keep Kit under control?
8. Una continues to be troubled by her relationship with Kit. Explain Una wandering around in the dark.
9. Discuss the conversation between Starbuck and Una.
10. Explain some of the issues faced by the Sussex in the storms.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Robben Avalon tells Una that he wants to be her best friend forever but that Judge Lord is his soul mate. The news upset Una. Why was Una upset at this confession? What did Avalon mean by "soul mates?" Discuss the relationship between Avalon and Lord before and after the fire that destroyed the town.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters, plots, settings, and outcomes of the stories in "Ahab's Wife, or, the Star-gazer: A Novel" by Sena Jeter Naslund and Herman Melville's Moby Dick." Use various the scenarios in the books for comparison. How do the storylines differ? What is the conclusion of each story? Which lead character did you like better? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Una is influenced by Aunt Agatha's Unitarian faith and ideas on pacifism. Write a 750 word essay on Aunt Agatha's beliefs, how they differ from Bertha's beliefs, and how they affect Una. Also relate the Unitarian perspective on pacifism and racial equality.
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)