Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Giles' last name?
2. In chapter 48, the Sussex heads toward which country?
3. Giles applies to which school?
4. In chapter 71, Una meets ____, Kit's old girlfriend.
5. Who falls into the sea?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the story reverts to the time before Justice's birth.
2. There is a dinner party at the judge's house. Why does the judge throw a party? What other event does the group attend?
3. What news does Una receive regarding a mishap at sea? What happens to Ahab?
4. Una decides to dress up as a cabin boy so that she can go out to sea with Kit and Giles. Examine Una's plan. Who does Una meet on the ship?
5. Who is Elijah? What news does he deliver to Justice? What happens to Elijah?
6. Chapter 134 presents letters to Una from Margaret Fuller. Who is Margaret Fuller? Where is she located?
7. What information does Ahab have for Una about Kit? What is Una's reaction?
8. Examine the scene in which Una becomes temporarily blinded.
9. Nantucket is an island that often depends on outside sources in order to function as an independent town/region. Explain how the area functions with limited supplies and resources.
10. Who is Susan? Why is she important to Una?
Examine the career and professional skills of Frederick Douglass and William Lloyd Garrison. Detail each man's educational history, professional status, evolution as an attorney, involvement in the abolitionist movement, and other famous cases in which he participated.
Una married twice during the course of the story. When it was learned that Judge Lord wanted to marry Una, she realized that she was content being unmarried. Later Una met Ishmael and the pair lived together and had a child. Discuss in detail Una's multiple and somewhat complicated relationships. Was it common for a person to go from one marriage to the next? What might have happened if Kit had returned from out West? Do you think Una would have taken him back? Do you think Kit and Charlotte got married? Why do you think Una and Ishmael never married?
Una and Frannie basically grew up as sisters. Discuss the relationship between Una and Frannie as children and then as adults. Who was the most grounded? Who was the most motivated? Who was the most intelligent? How did the relationship change after Una went away to sea?
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)