|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tatting is the art of making _____.
2. What is the girlfriend's married name?
3. Una and Giles talk about climbing the ____.
4. Where does the crew member live?
5. Which food is not mentioned as a staple on the boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What activity does Una take up with Sallie Swain? What is the metaphor used by Una to describe her relationship with Kit and Giles?
2. In chapter seventy-three, it becomes clear to Una that Kit is not going to improve. Discuss some of Kit's actions. What is Una's reaction?
3. What happens while Una is incapacitated with illness?
4. Una spends a great deal of time with Chester. Examine the friendship between Una and Chester. Also examine some of Una's activities on board the Sussex.
5. Discuss the conversation between Starbuck and Una.
6. What job is given to Una by Ahab? Why is Una not concerned with potential dangers?
7. The Pequod finally arrives in Nantucket. What is promised by Ahab? Describe the actions of Kit and Una upon arrival. What strange occurrence happens when Kit and Una spend the night together?
8. Examine the scene in which Una becomes temporarily blinded.
9. Ahab deals with Kit after his bout of dementia. What does Ahab do to try to keep Kit under control?
10. Describe the scene in which Una meets Rebekkah Swain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Robben Avalon's sculptures serve as a symbol of his models. Una is thrilled when Robben gives one of his statues to Ishmael. Una hopes that the statue will remind Ishmael of her if they were never to meet again. Robben also chose various people to act as his models. Discuss Robben's work, its symbolism, and how it is used to bring characters together.
Essay Topic 2
Una married twice during the course of the story. When it was learned that Judge Lord wanted to marry Una, she realized that she was content being unmarried. Later Una met Ishmael and the pair lived together and had a child. Discuss in detail Una's multiple and somewhat complicated relationships. Was it common for a person to go from one marriage to the next? What might have happened if Kit had returned from out West? Do you think Una would have taken him back? Do you think Kit and Charlotte got married? Why do you think Una and Ishmael never married?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters, plots, settings, and outcomes of the stories in "Ahab's Wife, or, the Star-gazer: A Novel" by Sena Jeter Naslund and Herman Melville's Moby Dick." Use various the scenarios in the books for comparison. How do the storylines differ? What is the conclusion of each story? Which lead character did you like better? Explain.
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)