|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What food does Una compare to sunshine?
2. Una compares herself, Kit and Giles to a _____.
3. If Giles was Christ, Una and Kit were _____.
4. What is a porthole?
5. In chapter 12, Agatha and Jonathan take the girls to see which city?
Short Essay Questions
1. Una spends a great deal of time with Chester. Examine the friendship between Una and Chester. Also examine some of Una's activities on board the Sussex.
2. Explain the relationship between Giles and Chester. Who makes the arrangements? How does Una use the arrangement to her advantage?
3. Discuss the conversation between Starbuck and Una.
4. Una and Kit discuss the steps they took in order to stay alive while out at sea. What does the pair discuss?
5. Una begins to think about the return to Nantucket. What are some of the things Una thinks about regarding her future on the island?
6. What job is given to Una by Ahab? Why is Una not concerned with potential dangers?
7. Discuss Aunt Agatha's influence on Una regarding pacifism and women's rights.
8. How are foreshadowing and flashback used in this first section?
9. Una decides to dress up as a cabin boy so that she can go out to sea with Kit and Giles. Examine Una's plan. Who does Una meet on the ship?
10. Una continues to be troubled by her relationship with Kit. Explain Una wandering around in the dark.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Captain Ahab has an interesting relationship with the owners of the Pequod. The men seem to respect one another although there are times when they are in competition. Discuss how the mutual admiration benefits their working relationship. Explore how Ahab's skill and style of leadership has helped to make him a success. What is Ahab's background and how does it compare to the backgrounds of the other captains?
Essay Topic 2
Robben Avalon's sculptures serve as a symbol of his models. Una is thrilled when Robben gives one of his statues to Ishmael. Una hopes that the statue will remind Ishmael of her if they were never to meet again. Robben also chose various people to act as his models. Discuss Robben's work, its symbolism, and how it is used to bring characters together.
Essay Topic 3
Una married twice during the course of the story. When it was learned that Judge Lord wanted to marry Una, she realized that she was content being unmarried. Later Una met Ishmael and the pair lived together and had a child. Discuss in detail Una's multiple and somewhat complicated relationships. Was it common for a person to go from one marriage to the next? What might have happened if Kit had returned from out West? Do you think Una would have taken him back? Do you think Kit and Charlotte got married? Why do you think Una and Ishmael never married?
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)