|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the ship that carried Una's letter(s) to Ahab?
2. What is the name of the store's proprietor?
3. How many hours a day do the tutoring sessions last?
4. What is the name of Ahab's ship?
5. Who falls into the sea?
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine Una's connection with the lighthouse. How long did it take before Una fully explored the structure? Una often equated the lighthouse to freedom. Explain Una's feelings toward the lighthouse.
2. What happens while Una is incapacitated with illness?
3. Describe the scene in which Una meets Rebekkah Swain.
4. Una spends a great deal of time with Chester. Examine the friendship between Una and Chester. Also examine some of Una's activities on board the Sussex.
5. Nantucket is an island that often depends on outside sources in order to function as an independent town/region. Explain how the area functions with limited supplies and resources.
6. The Pequod finally arrives in Nantucket. What is promised by Ahab? Describe the actions of Kit and Una upon arrival. What strange occurrence happens when Kit and Una spend the night together?
7. Discuss Aunt Agatha's influence on Una regarding pacifism and women's rights.
8. Who are Kit and Giles? How do they meet Una? What brings them to Nantucket?
9. Una and Giles talk about climbing the topsail and feeling like birds out over the ocean. What happens to Giles the next day? What happens to Kit?
10. Una decides to dress up as a cabin boy so that she can go out to sea with Kit and Giles. Examine Una's plan. Who does Una meet on the ship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Slavery was becoming a hotbed issue in the 1840s. Susan is used as an allegory for the many slaves who attempted to escape and were caught, often more than once. Discuss in detail the slavery situation in Kentucky in the 1840s. Compare the situation to the slavery issue in Massachusetts. Was there anything that could ensure a person's freedom? Give details about Susan's run for freedom as well as others. Also give the point of view of the bounty hunter that visited Una in Kentucky.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the career and professional skills of Frederick Douglass and William Lloyd Garrison. Detail each man's educational history, professional status, evolution as an attorney, involvement in the abolitionist movement, and other famous cases in which he participated.
Essay Topic 3
Naslund discusses the areas traveled by the various ships including the Sussex and the Pequod. Discuss the routes traveled by these ships as well as the common trade routes of the day. Examine the length of time it took the ships to travel the entire route and why some ships were gone years longer than others. Give a crew member's perspective and a captain's perspective on where a ship should travel and where the best opportunities lie for whaling. Compare those trade routes to ones commonly used today.
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)