|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Kit and Giles' boat?
2. How is Torch related to Una?
3. What is the girlfriend's married name?
4. Una does not wish to undertake which task?
5. How long has it been since the crew member had been home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Una's childhood and introduction to the sea.
2. Una begins to think about the return to Nantucket. What are some of the things Una thinks about regarding her future on the island?
3. Una spends a great deal of time with Chester. Examine the friendship between Una and Chester. Also examine some of Una's activities on board the Sussex.
4. Una and Giles talk about climbing the topsail and feeling like birds out over the ocean. What happens to Giles the next day? What happens to Kit?
5. The Pequod finally arrives in Nantucket. What is promised by Ahab? Describe the actions of Kit and Una upon arrival. What strange occurrence happens when Kit and Una spend the night together?
6. Who are Kit and Giles? How do they meet Una? What brings them to Nantucket?
7. Discuss Aunt Agatha's influence on Una regarding pacifism and women's rights.
8. Who does Una marry? What is famous about Una's husband?
9. What happens to Una after the Sussex sinks?
10. Explain some of the issues faced by the Sussex in the storms.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Una married twice during the course of the story. When it was learned that Judge Lord wanted to marry Una, she realized that she was content being unmarried. Later Una met Ishmael and the pair lived together and had a child. Discuss in detail Una's multiple and somewhat complicated relationships. Was it common for a person to go from one marriage to the next? What might have happened if Kit had returned from out West? Do you think Una would have taken him back? Do you think Kit and Charlotte got married? Why do you think Una and Ishmael never married?
Essay Topic 2
Robben Avalon tells Una that he wants to be her best friend forever but that Judge Lord is his soul mate. The news upset Una. Why was Una upset at this confession? What did Avalon mean by "soul mates?" Discuss the relationship between Avalon and Lord before and after the fire that destroyed the town.
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is used in many places throughout the book. Cite at least three examples of foreshadowing, their purpose and effectiveness. Where else might foreshadowing work in the story?
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)