|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the inn where Una stays?
2. What illness strikes the little girl?
3. Ahab's fake leg was made from which material?
4. Una compares herself, Kit and Giles to a _____.
5. If Giles was Christ, Una and Kit were _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Una receive from the captains? What news arrives from Ahab?
2. What news does Una receive from Maria? How does it affect Una?
3. Who are Kit and Giles? How do they meet Una? What brings them to Nantucket?
4. Who is Elijah? What news does he deliver to Justice? What happens to Elijah?
5. Discuss Aunt Agatha's influence on Una regarding pacifism and women's rights.
6. Frannie's life changes a great deal during this time. What happens to Frannie? What major career move does Frannie make?
7. How does Judge Austin Lord relate to Una's care after Ahab leaves Nantucket?
8. What happens to Ahab during his time away from Una?
9. Examine Una's connection with the lighthouse. How long did it take before Una fully explored the structure? Una often equated the lighthouse to freedom. Explain Una's feelings toward the lighthouse.
10. What becomes of Una and Ishmael? What happens with Jim and Justice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kit and Giles were both objects of Una's affections early in the story. Examine the relationship Una had with each man. Also compare and contrast Kit and Giles on personal and professional levels. Do you think things might have been different if Giles had lived?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between Bertha and Ulysses. Are they close? Is there anything unusual about their relationship? How might the situation with Una affect the relationship? Why do you think Una and Ulysses cannot come to terms regarding religion? What extreme measures does Ulysses take to try to convince Una that his way is the only way? What is the final straw that causes Una to leave Kentucky? What is Bertha's opinion? How does Una's move affect the relationship between Bertha and Ulysses? How does the move affect the relationship between Una and Bertha.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the career and professional skills of Frederick Douglass and William Lloyd Garrison. Detail each man's educational history, professional status, evolution as an attorney, involvement in the abolitionist movement, and other famous cases in which he participated.
This section contains 2,302 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)