|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Kit's old girlfriend?
2. How many barrels of oil were taken from the whale in chapter 66?
3. A larder is a place where _____is/are stored.
4. What is a porthole?
5. Giles and Kit became so ill that they could only drink ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Nantucket is an island that often depends on outside sources in order to function as an independent town/region. Explain how the area functions with limited supplies and resources.
2. Ahab deals with Kit after his bout of dementia. What does Ahab do to try to keep Kit under control?
3. What tragedy befalls Nantucket? How does it change things? What are some of the steps people take to rebuild?
4. Una spends a great deal of time with Chester. Examine the friendship between Una and Chester. Also examine some of Una's activities on board the Sussex.
5. What news does Una receive from Maria? How does it affect Una?
6. Discuss the conversation between Starbuck and Una.
7. Who is Captain Mayhew? Why does he visit Una? What offer does Mayhew make to Una?
8. Discuss Aunt Agatha's influence on Una regarding pacifism and women's rights.
9. How does Judge Austin Lord relate to Una's care after Ahab leaves Nantucket?
10. The Pequod finally arrives in Nantucket. What is promised by Ahab? Describe the actions of Kit and Una upon arrival. What strange occurrence happens when Kit and Una spend the night together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a short memoir that might have been written by Ahab. What types of things would Ahab be most proud of in his career and personal lives? Would the memoir include details of his relationship with Una or would it focus more on his life at sea? How might Ahab describe how he felt before, during and after each encounter with Moby Dick? What might Ahab's last thoughts be before the Pequod went down?
Essay Topic 2
Write a short story from the point of Una regarding her first meeting with Ahab. How did the pair become friends and eventually lovers? Does the couple have anything in common at all? If so, what? How does Una adjust her life in regards to Ahab's work and long periods away at sea? How has the life of each character changed since they met?
Essay Topic 3
Write your own seafaring tale based on "Ahab's Wife, or, the Star-gazer: A Novel" by Sena Jeter Naslund. Use Una or Ahab as the lead character. Supply complete storyboards. Include character information, plot, synopsis, etc. Explain your inspiration.
This section contains 2,314 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)