|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the slave girl who lost her mother?
2. Who does Kit demand to talk to during his illness?
3. Which food is not mentioned as a staple on the boat?
4. What is the name of Una's first child?
5. What part of the lighthouse must be replaced?
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine the scene in which Una becomes temporarily blinded.
2. Una decides to dress up as a cabin boy so that she can go out to sea with Kit and Giles. Examine Una's plan. Who does Una meet on the ship?
3. Una continues to be troubled by her relationship with Kit. Explain Una wandering around in the dark.
4. Discuss Aunt Agatha's influence on Una regarding pacifism and women's rights.
5. Describe the scene in which Una meets Rebekkah Swain.
6. The Pequod finally arrives in Nantucket. What is promised by Ahab? Describe the actions of Kit and Una upon arrival. What strange occurrence happens when Kit and Una spend the night together?
7. How are foreshadowing and flashback used in this first section?
8. Examine Una's connection with the lighthouse. How long did it take before Una fully explored the structure? Una often equated the lighthouse to freedom. Explain Una's feelings toward the lighthouse.
9. Una and Giles talk about climbing the topsail and feeling like birds out over the ocean. What happens to Giles the next day? What happens to Kit?
10. Describe Una's childhood and introduction to the sea.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is used in many places throughout the book. Cite at least three examples of foreshadowing, their purpose and effectiveness. Where else might foreshadowing work in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Una married twice during the course of the story. When it was learned that Judge Lord wanted to marry Una, she realized that she was content being unmarried. Later Una met Ishmael and the pair lived together and had a child. Discuss in detail Una's multiple and somewhat complicated relationships. Was it common for a person to go from one marriage to the next? What might have happened if Kit had returned from out West? Do you think Una would have taken him back? Do you think Kit and Charlotte got married? Why do you think Una and Ishmael never married?
Essay Topic 3
Naslund does not tell the story in chronological order, which may or may not confuse the issue regarding Una's relationship with Ahab and the birth of Justice. Discuss the purpose of this technique. Was Naslund intent on filling in the back story or was there another purpose to using this method? Was the technique effective? Explain. Rewrite one of the passages keeping the story in chronological order to make the story line clear.
This section contains 1,176 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)