|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Una's aunt?
2. Which of the following proposes to Una?
3. What is the name of Ahab's ship?
4. Who performs the wedding ceremony?
5. Where does the crew member live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine the scene in which Una becomes temporarily blinded.
2. Who does Una marry? What is famous about Una's husband?
3. Explain the relationship between Giles and Chester. Who makes the arrangements? How does Una use the arrangement to her advantage?
4. In chapter seventy-three, it becomes clear to Una that Kit is not going to improve. Discuss some of Kit's actions. What is Una's reaction?
5. Ahab deals with Kit after his bout of dementia. What does Ahab do to try to keep Kit under control?
6. How are foreshadowing and flashback used in this first section?
7. Discuss Una's relationships with Giles and Kit. How does Una feel about the men?
8. Discuss the conversation between Starbuck and Una.
9. What job is given to Una by Ahab? Why is Una not concerned with potential dangers?
10. Describe Una's childhood and introduction to the sea.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters, plots, settings, and outcomes of the stories in "Ahab's Wife, or, the Star-gazer: A Novel" by Sena Jeter Naslund and Herman Melville's Moby Dick." Use various the scenarios in the books for comparison. How do the storylines differ? What is the conclusion of each story? Which lead character did you like better? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the career and professional skills of Frederick Douglass and William Lloyd Garrison. Detail each man's educational history, professional status, evolution as an attorney, involvement in the abolitionist movement, and other famous cases in which he participated.
Essay Topic 3
Una is influenced by Aunt Agatha's Unitarian faith and ideas on pacifism. Write a 750 word essay on Aunt Agatha's beliefs, how they differ from Bertha's beliefs, and how they affect Una. Also relate the Unitarian perspective on pacifism and racial equality.
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)