|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Giles and Kit became so ill that they could only drink ____.
2. Giles applies to which school?
3. What is the name of Una's father?
4. Who does Kit demand to talk to during his illness?
5. Una talks with Giles about making a harness out of braided ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Una's relationships with Giles and Kit. How does Una feel about the men?
2. How are foreshadowing and flashback used in this first section?
3. Who are Kit and Giles? How do they meet Una? What brings them to Nantucket?
4. Describe Una's childhood and introduction to the sea.
5. Una begins to think about the return to Nantucket. What are some of the things Una thinks about regarding her future on the island?
6. What job is given to Una by Ahab? Why is Una not concerned with potential dangers?
7. Ahab deals with Kit after his bout of dementia. What does Ahab do to try to keep Kit under control?
8. Una begins to think about her future on Nantucket. What are some of Una's thoughts?
9. What activity does Una take up with Sallie Swain? What is the metaphor used by Una to describe her relationship with Kit and Giles?
10. Una and Giles talk about climbing the topsail and feeling like birds out over the ocean. What happens to Giles the next day? What happens to Kit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write your own seafaring tale based on "Ahab's Wife, or, the Star-gazer: A Novel" by Sena Jeter Naslund. Use Una or Ahab as the lead character. Supply complete storyboards. Include character information, plot, synopsis, etc. Explain your inspiration.
Essay Topic 2
Kit and Giles were both objects of Una's affections early in the story. Examine the relationship Una had with each man. Also compare and contrast Kit and Giles on personal and professional levels. Do you think things might have been different if Giles had lived?
Essay Topic 3
Captain Ahab has an interesting relationship with the owners of the Pequod. The men seem to respect one another although there are times when they are in competition. Discuss how the mutual admiration benefits their working relationship. Explore how Ahab's skill and style of leadership has helped to make him a success. What is Ahab's background and how does it compare to the backgrounds of the other captains?
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)