|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the ship that carried Una's letter(s) to Ahab?
2. What is the name of the physicist that developed a new type of lens for the lighthouse?
3. What is the name of the river that borders Una's family home?
4. What is the name of Agatha and Jonathan's daughter?
5. What strong emotion is felt by Kit and Una regarding their survival?
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine Una's connection with the lighthouse. How long did it take before Una fully explored the structure? Una often equated the lighthouse to freedom. Explain Una's feelings toward the lighthouse.
2. What activity does Una take up with Sallie Swain? What is the metaphor used by Una to describe her relationship with Kit and Giles?
3. Discuss Una's relationships with Giles and Kit. How does Una feel about the men?
4. Una spends a great deal of time with Chester. Examine the friendship between Una and Chester. Also examine some of Una's activities on board the Sussex.
5. Who are Kit and Giles? How do they meet Una? What brings them to Nantucket?
6. Una decides to dress up as a cabin boy so that she can go out to sea with Kit and Giles. Examine Una's plan. Who does Una meet on the ship?
7. Una and Giles talk about climbing the topsail and feeling like birds out over the ocean. What happens to Giles the next day? What happens to Kit?
8. What happens while Una is incapacitated with illness?
9. Explain the relationship between Giles and Chester. Who makes the arrangements? How does Una use the arrangement to her advantage?
10. Describe the scene in which Una meets Rebekkah Swain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a short memoir that might have been written by Ahab. What types of things would Ahab be most proud of in his career and personal lives? Would the memoir include details of his relationship with Una or would it focus more on his life at sea? How might Ahab describe how he felt before, during and after each encounter with Moby Dick? What might Ahab's last thoughts be before the Pequod went down?
Essay Topic 2
Slavery was becoming a hotbed issue in the 1840s. Susan is used as an allegory for the many slaves who attempted to escape and were caught, often more than once. Discuss in detail the slavery situation in Kentucky in the 1840s. Compare the situation to the slavery issue in Massachusetts. Was there anything that could ensure a person's freedom? Give details about Susan's run for freedom as well as others. Also give the point of view of the bounty hunter that visited Una in Kentucky.
Essay Topic 3
Robben Avalon's sculptures serve as a symbol of his models. Una is thrilled when Robben gives one of his statues to Ishmael. Una hopes that the statue will remind Ishmael of her if they were never to meet again. Robben also chose various people to act as his models. Discuss Robben's work, its symbolism, and how it is used to bring characters together.
This section contains 1,199 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)