Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Giles' last name?
2. In chapter 48, the Sussex heads toward which country?
3. Giles applies to which school?
4. In chapter 71, Una meets ____, Kit's old girlfriend.
5. Who falls into the sea?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the story reverts to the time before Justice's birth.
2. There is a dinner party at the judge's house. Why does the judge throw a party? What other event does the group attend?
3. What news does Una receive regarding a mishap at sea? What happens to Ahab?
4. Una decides to dress up as a cabin boy so that she can go out to sea with Kit and Giles. Examine Una's plan. Who does Una meet on the ship?
5. Who is Elijah? What news does he deliver to Justice? What happens to Elijah?
6. Chapter 134 presents letters to Una from Margaret Fuller. Who is Margaret Fuller? Where is she located?
7. What information does Ahab have for Una about Kit? What is Una's reaction?
8. Examine the scene in which Una becomes temporarily blinded.
9. Nantucket is an island that often depends on outside sources in order to function as an independent town/region. Explain how the area functions with limited supplies and resources.
10. Who is Susan? Why is she important to Una?
Una married twice during the course of the story. When it was learned that Judge Lord wanted to marry Una, she realized that she was content being unmarried. Later Una met Ishmael and the pair lived together and had a child. Discuss in detail Una's multiple and somewhat complicated relationships. Was it common for a person to go from one marriage to the next? What might have happened if Kit had returned from out West? Do you think Una would have taken him back? Do you think Kit and Charlotte got married? Why do you think Una and Ishmael never married?
Foreshadowing is used in many places throughout the book. Cite at least three examples of foreshadowing, their purpose and effectiveness. Where else might foreshadowing work in the story?
Write a short memoir that might have been written by Ahab. What types of things would Ahab be most proud of in his career and personal lives? Would the memoir include details of his relationship with Una or would it focus more on his life at sea? How might Ahab describe how he felt before, during and after each encounter with Moby Dick? What might Ahab's last thoughts be before the Pequod went down?
This section contains 1,123 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)