|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of punch is served at dinner?
2. Who argued for the development of a public fire department?
3. What is the name of the tavern owned by the husband and wife?
4. Which food is not mentioned as a staple on the boat?
5. What food does Una compare to sunshine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Una decides to dress up as a cabin boy so that she can go out to sea with Kit and Giles. Examine Una's plan. Who does Una meet on the ship?
2. What job is given to Una by Ahab? Why is Una not concerned with potential dangers?
3. Una and Kit discuss the steps they took in order to stay alive while out at sea. What does the pair discuss?
4. What activity does Una take up with Sallie Swain? What is the metaphor used by Una to describe her relationship with Kit and Giles?
5. Ahab deals with Kit after his bout of dementia. What does Ahab do to try to keep Kit under control?
6. Examine Una's connection with the lighthouse. How long did it take before Una fully explored the structure? Una often equated the lighthouse to freedom. Explain Una's feelings toward the lighthouse.
7. How are foreshadowing and flashback used in this first section?
8. Describe Una's childhood and introduction to the sea.
9. Una continues to be troubled by her relationship with Kit. Explain Una wandering around in the dark.
10. What information does Ahab have for Una about Kit? What is Una's reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Robben Avalon tells Una that he wants to be her best friend forever but that Judge Lord is his soul mate. The news upset Una. Why was Una upset at this confession? What did Avalon mean by "soul mates?" Discuss the relationship between Avalon and Lord before and after the fire that destroyed the town.
Essay Topic 2
Captain Ahab has an interesting relationship with the owners of the Pequod. The men seem to respect one another although there are times when they are in competition. Discuss how the mutual admiration benefits their working relationship. Explore how Ahab's skill and style of leadership has helped to make him a success. What is Ahab's background and how does it compare to the backgrounds of the other captains?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the career and professional skills of Frederick Douglass and William Lloyd Garrison. Detail each man's educational history, professional status, evolution as an attorney, involvement in the abolitionist movement, and other famous cases in which he participated.
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)