Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Giles' last name?
2. In chapter 48, the Sussex heads toward which country?
3. Giles applies to which school?
4. In chapter 71, Una meets ____, Kit's old girlfriend.
5. Who falls into the sea?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the story reverts to the time before Justice's birth.
2. There is a dinner party at the judge's house. Why does the judge throw a party? What other event does the group attend?
3. What news does Una receive regarding a mishap at sea? What happens to Ahab?
4. Una decides to dress up as a cabin boy so that she can go out to sea with Kit and Giles. Examine Una's plan. Who does Una meet on the ship?
5. Who is Elijah? What news does he deliver to Justice? What happens to Elijah?
6. Chapter 134 presents letters to Una from Margaret Fuller. Who is Margaret Fuller? Where is she located?
7. What information does Ahab have for Una about Kit? What is Una's reaction?
8. Examine the scene in which Una becomes temporarily blinded.
9. Nantucket is an island that often depends on outside sources in order to function as an independent town/region. Explain how the area functions with limited supplies and resources.
10. Who is Susan? Why is she important to Una?
Essay Topic 1
Write a short story from the point of Una regarding her first meeting with Ahab. How did the pair become friends and eventually lovers? Does the couple have anything in common at all? If so, what? How does Una adjust her life in regards to Ahab's work and long periods away at sea? How has the life of each character changed since they met?
Essay Topic 2
Robben Avalon's sculptures serve as a symbol of his models. Una is thrilled when Robben gives one of his statues to Ishmael. Una hopes that the statue will remind Ishmael of her if they were never to meet again. Robben also chose various people to act as his models. Discuss Robben's work, its symbolism, and how it is used to bring characters together.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters, plots, settings, and outcomes of the stories in "Ahab's Wife, or, the Star-gazer: A Novel" by Sena Jeter Naslund and Herman Melville's Moby Dick." Use various the scenarios in the books for comparison. How do the storylines differ? What is the conclusion of each story? Which lead character did you like better? Explain.
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)