|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ahab shares which type of candy with the crew?
2. Giles applies to which school?
3. What is the name of the store's proprietor?
4. Una talks with Giles about making a harness out of braided ____.
5. Which of the following proposes to Una?
Short Essay Questions
1. Una and Giles talk about climbing the topsail and feeling like birds out over the ocean. What happens to Giles the next day? What happens to Kit?
2. Explain the relationship between Giles and Chester. Who makes the arrangements? How does Una use the arrangement to her advantage?
3. Una and Kit discuss the steps they took in order to stay alive while out at sea. What does the pair discuss?
4. What happens while Una is incapacitated with illness?
5. Who are Kit and Giles? How do they meet Una? What brings them to Nantucket?
6. Describe Una's childhood and introduction to the sea.
7. What job is given to Una by Ahab? Why is Una not concerned with potential dangers?
8. Examine the scene in which Una becomes temporarily blinded.
9. How are foreshadowing and flashback used in this first section?
10. Discuss the conversation between Starbuck and Una.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a short story from the point of Una regarding her first meeting with Ahab. How did the pair become friends and eventually lovers? Does the couple have anything in common at all? If so, what? How does Una adjust her life in regards to Ahab's work and long periods away at sea? How has the life of each character changed since they met?
Essay Topic 2
Slavery was becoming a hotbed issue in the 1840s. Susan is used as an allegory for the many slaves who attempted to escape and were caught, often more than once. Discuss in detail the slavery situation in Kentucky in the 1840s. Compare the situation to the slavery issue in Massachusetts. Was there anything that could ensure a person's freedom? Give details about Susan's run for freedom as well as others. Also give the point of view of the bounty hunter that visited Una in Kentucky.
Essay Topic 3
Write your own seafaring tale based on "Ahab's Wife, or, the Star-gazer: A Novel" by Sena Jeter Naslund. Use Una or Ahab as the lead character. Supply complete storyboards. Include character information, plot, synopsis, etc. Explain your inspiration.
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)