|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Giles applies to which school?
2. What is the name of the slave girl who lost her mother?
3. In chapter 66, the ship is ____ days from Nantucket.
4. What is the name of Kit's old girlfriend?
5. What is Giles' last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Una's childhood and introduction to the sea.
2. Una spends a great deal of time with Chester. Examine the friendship between Una and Chester. Also examine some of Una's activities on board the Sussex.
3. The Pequod finally arrives in Nantucket. What is promised by Ahab? Describe the actions of Kit and Una upon arrival. What strange occurrence happens when Kit and Una spend the night together?
4. In chapter seventy-three, it becomes clear to Una that Kit is not going to improve. Discuss some of Kit's actions. What is Una's reaction?
5. Una and Giles talk about climbing the topsail and feeling like birds out over the ocean. What happens to Giles the next day? What happens to Kit?
6. What happens to Una after the Sussex sinks?
7. What information does Ahab have for Una about Kit? What is Una's reaction?
8. Discuss the conversation between Starbuck and Una.
9. Explain some of the issues faced by the Sussex in the storms.
10. Discuss Aunt Agatha's influence on Una regarding pacifism and women's rights.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Naslund's use of Nantucket for the setting in "Ahab's Wife, or, the Star-gazer: A Novel". Why do you think Naslund chose Nantucket? How accurate do you think the setting is in regards to the real location? What areas are most commonly referenced in the story? What other location might have worked as well, if not better, than Nantucket? What is unique about the setting? What regionalisms are exhibited by Una and the rest of the characters? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the career and professional skills of Frederick Douglass and William Lloyd Garrison. Detail each man's educational history, professional status, evolution as an attorney, involvement in the abolitionist movement, and other famous cases in which he participated.
Essay Topic 3
Kit and Giles were both objects of Una's affections early in the story. Examine the relationship Una had with each man. Also compare and contrast Kit and Giles on personal and professional levels. Do you think things might have been different if Giles had lived?
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)