|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Una's last name?
2. How many chickens were on the ship?
3. Kit compares Una to which animal?
4. What part of the lighthouse must be replaced?
5. Una and Giles talk about climbing the ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the relationship between Giles and Chester. Who makes the arrangements? How does Una use the arrangement to her advantage?
2. Who does Una marry? What is famous about Una's husband?
3. Describe Una's childhood and introduction to the sea.
4. How are foreshadowing and flashback used in this first section?
5. Una begins to think about the return to Nantucket. What are some of the things Una thinks about regarding her future on the island?
6. Explain some of the issues faced by the Sussex in the storms.
7. Examine Una's connection with the lighthouse. How long did it take before Una fully explored the structure? Una often equated the lighthouse to freedom. Explain Una's feelings toward the lighthouse.
8. Discuss Una's relationships with Giles and Kit. How does Una feel about the men?
9. What happens to Una after the Sussex sinks?
10. Who are Kit and Giles? How do they meet Una? What brings them to Nantucket?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the career and professional skills of Frederick Douglass and William Lloyd Garrison. Detail each man's educational history, professional status, evolution as an attorney, involvement in the abolitionist movement, and other famous cases in which he participated.
Essay Topic 2
Naslund does not tell the story in chronological order, which may or may not confuse the issue regarding Una's relationship with Ahab and the birth of Justice. Discuss the purpose of this technique. Was Naslund intent on filling in the back story or was there another purpose to using this method? Was the technique effective? Explain. Rewrite one of the passages keeping the story in chronological order to make the story line clear.
Essay Topic 3
Write a short memoir that might have been written by Ahab. What types of things would Ahab be most proud of in his career and personal lives? Would the memoir include details of his relationship with Una or would it focus more on his life at sea? How might Ahab describe how he felt before, during and after each encounter with Moby Dick? What might Ahab's last thoughts be before the Pequod went down?
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)