|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness strikes the little girl?
2. When asked which lighthouse she had climbed, Una answered ______.
3. What is the first name of Mrs. Swain?
4. In chapter 54, the Albatross meets up with which boat?
5. Una originally comes from which state?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Una's reaction upon being married to Ahab?
2. The Pequod finally arrives in Nantucket. What is promised by Ahab? Describe the actions of Kit and Una upon arrival. What strange occurrence happens when Kit and Una spend the night together?
3. What news does Una receive from Maria? How does it affect Una?
4. Chapter 134 presents letters to Una from Margaret Fuller. Who is Margaret Fuller? Where is she located?
5. Una begins to think about the return to Nantucket. What are some of the things Una thinks about regarding her future on the island?
6. Ahab deals with Kit after his bout of dementia. What does Ahab do to try to keep Kit under control?
7. Explain how the story reverts to the time before Justice's birth.
8. How does the relationship between Una and Ahab change in this section? What does Ahab do to have Una for himself?
9. What happens to Ahab during his time away from Una?
10. Explain some of the issues faced by the Sussex in the storms.
Essay Topic 1
Assuming a psychiatrist's point of view, analyze the situation with Kit. Discuss Kit's history and how it might affect possible psychiatric care. What would a psychiatrist say about Kit's mental breakdown? What might a doctor say about Kit's attachment to Giles? Was Kit suffering from dementia, mental illness or something else? What would the terminology be from a psychiatrist's point of view? What kind of treatment might Kit have benefited from before the situation got out of hand? Is the behavior something that can be "cured?" If so, how? If not, what else can be done?
Essay Topic 2
Captain Ahab has an interesting relationship with the owners of the Pequod. The men seem to respect one another although there are times when they are in competition. Discuss how the mutual admiration benefits their working relationship. Explore how Ahab's skill and style of leadership has helped to make him a success. What is Ahab's background and how does it compare to the backgrounds of the other captains?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Naslund's use of Nantucket for the setting in "Ahab's Wife, or, the Star-gazer: A Novel". Why do you think Naslund chose Nantucket? How accurate do you think the setting is in regards to the real location? What areas are most commonly referenced in the story? What other location might have worked as well, if not better, than Nantucket? What is unique about the setting? What regionalisms are exhibited by Una and the rest of the characters? Explain.
This section contains 2,394 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)