|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Kit's old girlfriend?
2. What is the name of the inn where Una stays?
(a) Sea Witch.
(b) Sea Goddess.
(c) Sea Fancy.
(d) Sea Farer.
3. What is Swain's native country?
(d) United States.
4. What is the name of the physicist that developed a new type of lens for the lighthouse?
(b) De Maurier.
5. What is a porthole?
(b) Cargo space.
(d) Crow's nest.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ahab's fake leg was made from which material?
2. Who does Kit demand to talk to during his illness?
3. How many chickens were on the ship?
4. Who is nicknamed "Little King Post?"
5. Who tutors Chester?
Short Essay Questions
1. Una decides to dress up as a cabin boy so that she can go out to sea with Kit and Giles. Examine Una's plan. Who does Una meet on the ship?
2. What happens while Una is incapacitated with illness?
3. What happens to Una after the Sussex sinks?
4. What information does Ahab have for Una about Kit? What is Una's reaction?
5. Discuss Una's relationships with Giles and Kit. How does Una feel about the men?
6. Examine Una's connection with the lighthouse. How long did it take before Una fully explored the structure? Una often equated the lighthouse to freedom. Explain Una's feelings toward the lighthouse.
7. Describe the scene in which Una meets Rebekkah Swain.
8. What activity does Una take up with Sallie Swain? What is the metaphor used by Una to describe her relationship with Kit and Giles?
9. Who are Kit and Giles? How do they meet Una? What brings them to Nantucket?
10. Nantucket is an island that often depends on outside sources in order to function as an independent town/region. Explain how the area functions with limited supplies and resources.
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)