|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Una talks with Giles about making a harness out of braided ____.
2. What is the name of the ship that carried Una's letter(s) to Ahab?
3. What part of the lighthouse must be replaced?
(d) Weather vane.
4. Stubb jokes about a church dedicated to which animal?
5. How many barrels of oil were taken from the whale in chapter 66?
Short Answer Questions
1. Ahab's fake leg was made from which material?
2. What is the name of Una's father?
3. Who tutors Chester?
4. What is Giles' last name?
5. A larder is a place where _____is/are stored.
Short Essay Questions
1. Nantucket is an island that often depends on outside sources in order to function as an independent town/region. Explain how the area functions with limited supplies and resources.
2. Describe Una's childhood and introduction to the sea.
3. The Pequod finally arrives in Nantucket. What is promised by Ahab? Describe the actions of Kit and Una upon arrival. What strange occurrence happens when Kit and Una spend the night together?
4. How are foreshadowing and flashback used in this first section?
5. Examine Una's connection with the lighthouse. How long did it take before Una fully explored the structure? Una often equated the lighthouse to freedom. Explain Una's feelings toward the lighthouse.
6. Who are Kit and Giles? How do they meet Una? What brings them to Nantucket?
7. Who does Una marry? What is famous about Una's husband?
8. Discuss Una's relationships with Giles and Kit. How does Una feel about the men?
9. Discuss the conversation between Starbuck and Una.
10. Una and Giles talk about climbing the topsail and feeling like birds out over the ocean. What happens to Giles the next day? What happens to Kit?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)