|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Swain's native country?
(d) United States.
2. What is the name of Kit and Giles' boat?
3. Stubb jokes about a church dedicated to which animal?
4. What is the name of Ahab's ship?
5. Which is not an ingredient in the punch?
(b) Rice wine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Una use when posing as a cabin boy?
2. Who performs the wedding ceremony?
3. Una talks with Giles about making a harness out of braided ____.
4. How old is Una when Bertha and Ulysses visit Nantucket?
5. Who argued for the development of a public fire department?
Short Essay Questions
1. Una and Kit discuss the steps they took in order to stay alive while out at sea. What does the pair discuss?
2. What job is given to Una by Ahab? Why is Una not concerned with potential dangers?
3. Nantucket is an island that often depends on outside sources in order to function as an independent town/region. Explain how the area functions with limited supplies and resources.
4. How are foreshadowing and flashback used in this first section?
5. Explain some of the issues faced by the Sussex in the storms.
6. Una and Giles talk about climbing the topsail and feeling like birds out over the ocean. What happens to Giles the next day? What happens to Kit?
7. What activity does Una take up with Sallie Swain? What is the metaphor used by Una to describe her relationship with Kit and Giles?
8. Discuss the conversation between Starbuck and Una.
9. Describe Una's childhood and introduction to the sea.
10. What happens to Una after the Sussex sinks?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)