|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Constancia decide to gift the small bone she finds in the copper box?
2. How does Reina react to Constancia's realization that their mother did not drown in the Zapatos swamp?
3. Which of his parents' belongings does Ignacio sell to earn the funds to publish his first book?
4. Where is the final chapter of the novel set?
5. How many days does Dulce have to work to earn the money for airfare to Miami?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationship between the Aguero sisters, Constancia and Reina, took many curves and changes throughout the text of the novel. Create a time line of events that led to the reunification of the two sisters and then explain how the puzzle they solved regarding their family history could only have been solved if the two sisters worked together.
Essay Topic 2
After their mother's death, Constancia and Reina grew apart from one another as both had different views of their mother. Compare/contrast the childhood of each of the sisters and explain what factors led to the two sisters having a strained and distant relationship into their adulthood.
Essay Topic 3
Constancia has an obsession with the need to stay youthful. Explain how youth becomes one of the driving forces in Constancia's life. Then, use Constancia's childhood at the pig farm to rationalize her desperate need to stay young and beautiful. Does she accomplish this in her lifetime? Why or why not?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)