|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who narrates the final chapter of the novel?
2. Where is the final chapter of the novel set?
3. How long does Constancia let Reina struggle in the water before saving her?
4. Which adjective does Ignacio use to describe the small animal flying around Blanca when he took aim at it?
5. What does Constancia think happens to Herberto during the Cuban revolution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Family history haunting you is one of the strongest themes in the novel, and is perhaps best exemplified by the relationship between Silvestre and his father, Gonzalo. Explain the relationship Silvestre had with his father and how the acts that took place on Gonzalo's deathbed symbolize Silvestre's fear of family history.
Essay Topic 2
The Cuban revolution plays a small role in the background of the novel. How does the Cuban Revolution affect the main characters, the Aguero sisters, during the course of this novel? What symbolic importance does the war have on what is happening in the sisters' lives? Why might Cristina Garcia have chosen to include it in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
When Reina was born, Constancia had an extremely adverse reaction to her new baby sister. Explain the way Constancia treated Reina, with at least two examples of abuse that were presented in the novel. Then, compare/contrast the reaction that both Ignacio and Blanca had to the way the two sisters interacted as children.
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)