|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a satera do for a living?
2. Which adjective does Ignacio use to describe the small animal flying around Blanca when he took aim at it?
3. When Reina sees herself naked, how large does she think she is?
4. How far does Ignacio claim it was to the nearest town, to which he carried his wife's dead body?
5. What does Evaristo Leal deliver to Constancia a few days after Gonzalo's funeral?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many theories in the novel as to why Ignacio decided to kill his wife, Blanca. Explain what the various theories about his motivations in the swamp were, and support each theory with the evidence given as to Ignacio's time in the Zapatos Swamp on the fateful night in which Blanca died.
Essay Topic 2
The bone that Blanca wore around her neck when Reina was a small child is of particular importance to her. Explain the way that Blanca wore the bone and what impact it had on Reina as a child. Then, explain what happened to the bone after Blanca died, and how it was eventually returned to its rightful owner.
Essay Topic 3
The mystery surrounding Reina's true father is one of the greatest mysteries in the novel. Explain why Reina does not believe Ignacio is her natural birth father, and what evidence shows up during the course of the novel to support or discount her claims. Then explain what conclusion Reina finally comes to about her patronage at the end of the novel, and why.
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)