|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many months pregnant in Isabel when she arrives in Miami?
2. How does Constancia respond to Reina's claim about their mother's graveside visitor?
3. What causes Silvestre's deafness?
4. How old is the young boy who dies from eating spoiled meat after the stampede?
5. Which of his parents' belongings does Ignacio sell to earn the funds to publish his first book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many theories in the novel as to why Ignacio decided to kill his wife, Blanca. Explain what the various theories about his motivations in the swamp were, and support each theory with the evidence given as to Ignacio's time in the Zapatos Swamp on the fateful night in which Blanca died.
Essay Topic 2
Reina's life in Cuba was heavily influenced by the presence of her deceased parents. Describe a day in Reina's life while she was living in Cuba and explain how the memory of her parents haunted every aspect of her life.
Essay Topic 3
Deception plays a large role in the relationships Constancia has with the men in her life. Choose two men who have been a part of Constancia's life and describe how their relationship was defined by deception, citing examples from the text.
This section contains 1,183 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)