|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Ignacio begin the trek to the nearest town after killing his wife?
2. Whose photograph does Constancia decide to print on all her cosmetics bottles?
3. What does Reina claim their father stole from their mother in order to better his own life?
4. How much notice does Silvestre give his mother before arriving at her doorstep?
5. What does Dulce go to Abelardo's home to steal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Cuban revolution plays a small role in the background of the novel. How does the Cuban Revolution affect the main characters, the Aguero sisters, during the course of this novel? What symbolic importance does the war have on what is happening in the sisters' lives? Why might Cristina Garcia have chosen to include it in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Both Ignacio and Blanca are heavily influenced in their lives by the power of beauty around them. Explain what naturalism means to Ignacio and Blanca, and then explain how the quest for beautiful biology affected their relationship and the way they interacted with the world around them.
Essay Topic 3
Ignacio Aguero had a string of lies that he fed his daughters in regards to their mother's death. Create a time line of Ignacio's lies and describe how they changed and grew as his daughters aged. Then, explain how the constant lies affected the relationships both Reina and Constancia had with their father.
This section contains 1,184 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)