|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Constancia travel from Miami to Cuba?
2. How long does Constancia let Reina struggle in the water before saving her?
3. How long after the grievous cancer diagnosis does Ignacio's family member die?
4. Where does Ignacio take Blanca for their honeymoon?
5. Who narrates the final chapter of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ignacio Aguero had a string of lies that he fed his daughters in regards to their mother's death. Create a time line of Ignacio's lies and describe how they changed and grew as his daughters aged. Then, explain how the constant lies affected the relationships both Reina and Constancia had with their father.
Essay Topic 2
The Cuban revolution plays a small role in the background of the novel. How does the Cuban Revolution affect the main characters, the Aguero sisters, during the course of this novel? What symbolic importance does the war have on what is happening in the sisters' lives? Why might Cristina Garcia have chosen to include it in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Reina's view of love and sexuality was very strange in romantic relationships. Choose two romantic relationships Reina was a part of and compare/contrast them. What roles does Reina play in the relationships, and to whom does she choose to show affection? How?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)