|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Reina love her new restoring job?
2. Where does Ignacio take Blanca for their honeymoon?
3. Which of the following do Constancia and Reina visit to pay homage to before making the journey back to Cuba?
4. What does the man in the yacht who awakens Reina on the river throw to her?
5. What reason does Ignacio give for killing his wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Family history haunting you is one of the strongest themes in the novel, and is perhaps best exemplified by the relationship between Silvestre and his father, Gonzalo. Explain the relationship Silvestre had with his father and how the acts that took place on Gonzalo's deathbed symbolize Silvestre's fear of family history.
Essay Topic 2
Both Aguero sisters, Reina and Constancia, set out to start a new life for themselves in Miami. Compare/contrast the ways that each sister hopes to leave Cuba behind and start fresh in Florida. How do each of these sisters set out to start new lives away from the heavy history of their parents?
Essay Topic 3
Ignacio is presented in the novel as a man who takes advantage of others in order to further his own career. Explain how Ignacio charmed his way into a luxurious life, and ultimately, what the effects of a swindler's life had on his existence.
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)