|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Ignacio give for killing his wife?
2. What animal does Ignacio claim to have taken aim at when he shoots his wife?
3. Which of Ignacio's family members is diagnosed with cancer while Ignacio is in college?
4. After Blanca becomes pregnant, where does she want to move to?
5. Which of the following do Constancia and Reina visit to pay homage to before making the journey back to Cuba?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Reina's life in Cuba was heavily influenced by the presence of her deceased parents. Describe a day in Reina's life while she was living in Cuba and explain how the memory of her parents haunted every aspect of her life.
Essay Topic 2
Ignacio is presented in the novel as a man who takes advantage of others in order to further his own career. Explain how Ignacio charmed his way into a luxurious life, and ultimately, what the effects of a swindler's life had on his existence.
Essay Topic 3
The Cuban revolution plays a small role in the background of the novel. How does the Cuban Revolution affect the main characters, the Aguero sisters, during the course of this novel? What symbolic importance does the war have on what is happening in the sisters' lives? Why might Cristina Garcia have chosen to include it in the novel?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)