|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which book does Ignacio receive for his thirteenth birthday?
2. What is the relationship between Ignacio and Blanca Aguero?
3. What does Soledad attempt to throw at the bird she sees through the window?
4. Where does Dulce meet her boyfriend Abelardo on the day she is arrested?
5. Which of the following relatives of Herberto's does NOT fight in the Bay of Pigs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the marriage between Dulce and Abelardo eventually fall apart?
2. What happens in the minutes before Dulce is arrested at the Habana Libre Hotel?
3. In the second retelling of the final night in Zapatos Swamp, what does Ignacio remember about the moment when he shot his wife?
4. What does Constancia discover when she finds the small copper box in her father's old shed in Cuba?
5. What happens when Dulce meets Bengt and returns to his hotel with him?
6. What does the santero advise Constancia to do before heading back to Cuba in search of the truth?
7. Why doesn't Herberto fight at the Bay of Pigs, and how does he feel afterward?
8. Why does Constancia travel door-to-door after Herberto goes missing?
9. Why does Pepin bring a rooster into Reina's hospital room?
10. When does Constancia realize that her father, Ignacio, is lying to her about her mother's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Constancia was married twice in her life to two brothers, Gonzalo and Herberto. Each of these relationships left a huge mark on Constancia's life. Compare/contrast the two marriages Constancia was in and then describe why she decided to leave each man. Is Constancia's life better or worse when she is living alone?
Essay Topic 2
The Cuban revolution plays a small role in the background of the novel. How does the Cuban Revolution affect the main characters, the Aguero sisters, during the course of this novel? What symbolic importance does the war have on what is happening in the sisters' lives? Why might Cristina Garcia have chosen to include it in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
After their mother's death, Constancia and Reina grew apart from one another as both had different views of their mother. Compare/contrast the childhood of each of the sisters and explain what factors led to the two sisters having a strained and distant relationship into their adulthood.
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)