|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ignacio Aguero die?
2. How many volumes of books does Reina keep in her apartment?
3. Where is the gaping wound on Reina's mother's body?
4. What animal are Ignacio and Blanca searching for in the swamp?
5. What does Reina bring with her to the funeral home to place in her mother's coffin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in the minutes before Dulce is arrested at the Habana Libre Hotel?
2. How does Blanca's mother die?
3. What does Ignacio remember about the moments right after his wife was shot?
4. How does Constancia react to Reina's theories about their father killing their mother?
5. What gifts does Reina give to Isabel and her new son, Raku?
6. Why does Silvestre arrive in Miami?
7. What does Dulce claim is the only thing the Cuban government cannot ration?
8. Why does the marriage between Dulce and Abelardo eventually fall apart?
9. What role does the hummingbird play in Blanca's death in the Zapatos Swamp?
10. What injuries does Reina sustain when she is hit by lightning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ignacio is presented in the novel as a man who takes advantage of others in order to further his own career. Explain how Ignacio charmed his way into a luxurious life, and ultimately, what the effects of a swindler's life had on his existence.
Essay Topic 2
Money seems to be the one driving force in Dulce Aguero's life. Explain what Dulce's life was like while she was living in Cuba and why the prostitution jobs she took seemed necessary. Then, explain how Dulce's quest for financial stability affected the romantic relationships in her life.
Essay Topic 3
The Cuban revolution plays a small role in the background of the novel. How does the Cuban Revolution affect the main characters, the Aguero sisters, during the course of this novel? What symbolic importance does the war have on what is happening in the sisters' lives? Why might Cristina Garcia have chosen to include it in the novel?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)