|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Reina's family and friends donate to her in the hopes of a speedy recovery?
2. How far along into her pregnancy is Blanca Aguero when she miraculously returns to her family after going missing?
3. Which of Abelardo's family members does Dulce steal money and jewelry from?
4. In what level of his education does Ignacio meet Dr. Samuel Forrest?
5. How does Dulce feel after consuming all the exotic foods Bengt offers her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dulce claim is the only thing the Cuban government cannot ration?
2. What gifts does Reina give to Isabel and her new son, Raku?
3. How does Reina work her way into the expensive yacht club?
4. What happens when Dulce meets Bengt and returns to his hotel with him?
5. What does Constancia discover when she finds the small copper box in her father's old shed in Cuba?
6. What happens when Reina attempts to move the last water pump in La Cobre?
7. Who is Evaristo Leal, and why does he show up on Constancia's doorstep?
8. Why are Ignacio and Blana in the swamp at the opening of the novel?
9. How does Ignacio's father die?
10. What memory haunts Reina in regards to her mother's death and visiting her at the funeral home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1The curse of the Aguero sisters is hinted at throughout the text of the novel. Explain how the curse first reared its head with Constancia and Reina's grandmother, and then explain how the curse carried on through the generations of Aguero women. Finally, explain how the curse was finally broken by the Aguero sisters.
Essay Topic 2Reina's view of love and sexuality was very strange in romantic relationships. Choose two romantic relationships Reina was a part of and compare/contrast them. What roles does Reina play in the relationships, and to whom does she choose to show affection? How?
Essay Topic 3Both Aguero sisters, Reina and Constancia, set out to start a new life for themselves in Miami. Compare/contrast the ways that each sister hopes to leave Cuba behind and start fresh in Florida. How do each of these sisters set out to start new lives away from the heavy history of their parents?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)