|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many volumes of books does Reina keep in her apartment?
2. What bird does Pepin bring into Reina's hospital room hoping it will sniff out the evil there?
3. How far does Ignacio have to carry his wife's body to the nearest town?
4. What characteristic of his favorite animal does Ignacio find particularly attractive?
5. Where does Reina spend most of her time while recovering from her injuries?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Herberto decides to go fishing in Biscayne Bay?
2. How does Reina work her way into the expensive yacht club?
3. What does the santero advise Constancia to do before heading back to Cuba in search of the truth?
4. Why does Constancia travel door-to-door after Herberto goes missing?
5. Why doesn't Reina want to work in Constancia's new factory?
6. What happens to the small pouch Blanca carries around her neck, after she dies?
7. How does Constancia react to Reina's theories about their father killing their mother?
8. What memory haunts Reina in regards to her mother's death and visiting her at the funeral home?
9. Why does Constancia visit Oscar Pinago?
10. Why are Ignacio and Blana in the swamp at the opening of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Reina's view of love and sexuality was very strange in romantic relationships. Choose two romantic relationships Reina was a part of and compare/contrast them. What roles does Reina play in the relationships, and to whom does she choose to show affection? How?
Essay Topic 2
Both Aguero sisters, Reina and Constancia, set out to start a new life for themselves in Miami. Compare/contrast the ways that each sister hopes to leave Cuba behind and start fresh in Florida. How do each of these sisters set out to start new lives away from the heavy history of their parents?
Essay Topic 3
There are many theories in the novel as to why Ignacio decided to kill his wife, Blanca. Explain what the various theories about his motivations in the swamp were, and support each theory with the evidence given as to Ignacio's time in the Zapatos Swamp on the fateful night in which Blanca died.
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)