|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What characteristic of his favorite animal does Ignacio find particularly attractive?
2. How long does Dr. Forrest make Ignacio wait before offering him a job?
3. What does Reina bring with her to the funeral home to place in her mother's coffin?
4. Which state reminds Constancia of her life in Cuba?
5. How many days does thirteen-year-old Ignacio sit on the found nest, protecting the eggs from predators?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Committee for the Defense of the Revolution come to visit Reina while she is recovering?
2. How does Reina work her way into the expensive yacht club?
3. What is Gonzalo's theory about Herberto's attackers, and how does Constancia feel about Gonzalo's theory?
4. Why does Constancia visit Oscar Pinago?
5. What bad omen does Soledad Aguero see on the day she gives birth to her son Ignacio?
6. How does Constancia Cruz feel about her job at the cosmetics store?
7. How does Constancia Cruz feel about miracles?
8. How does Ignacio's father die?
9. What is the time setting of the Prologue of the novel?
10. What answers does Ignacio finally give to the readers as to his motivations in killing Blanca and lying to his daughters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The bone that Blanca wore around her neck when Reina was a small child is of particular importance to her. Explain the way that Blanca wore the bone and what impact it had on Reina as a child. Then, explain what happened to the bone after Blanca died, and how it was eventually returned to its rightful owner.
Essay Topic 2
Constancia was married twice in her life to two brothers, Gonzalo and Herberto. Each of these relationships left a huge mark on Constancia's life. Compare/contrast the two marriages Constancia was in and then describe why she decided to leave each man. Is Constancia's life better or worse when she is living alone?
Essay Topic 3
Both Ignacio and Blanca are heavily influenced in their lives by the power of beauty around them. Explain what naturalism means to Ignacio and Blanca, and then explain how the quest for beautiful biology affected their relationship and the way they interacted with the world around them.
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)