|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What characteristic of his favorite animal does Ignacio find particularly attractive?
2. Whose funeral do Herberto and Constancia attend together?
3. During what decade does the Prologue take place?
4. What does Reina offer to La Virgen de la Caridad del Cobre in prayer?
5. Who does Constancia think is responsible for the attack on Herberto?
Short Essay Questions
1. What answers does Ignacio finally give to the readers as to his motivations in killing Blanca and lying to his daughters?
2. What happens in the minutes before Dulce is arrested at the Habana Libre Hotel?
3. What question does Dr. Samuel Forrest ask Ignacio during his job interview that ultimately earns him the job?
4. What memory haunts Reina in regards to her mother's death and visiting her at the funeral home?
5. Why does Pepin bring a rooster into Reina's hospital room?
6. How does Constancia Cruz feel about miracles?
7. How does Ignacio's father die?
8. Why does the marriage between Dulce and Abelardo eventually fall apart?
9. How does Blanca's mother die?
10. How does Silvestre react to seeing Gonzalo in the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Cuban revolution plays a small role in the background of the novel. How does the Cuban Revolution affect the main characters, the Aguero sisters, during the course of this novel? What symbolic importance does the war have on what is happening in the sisters' lives? Why might Cristina Garcia have chosen to include it in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Both Aguero sisters, Reina and Constancia, set out to start a new life for themselves in Miami. Compare/contrast the ways that each sister hopes to leave Cuba behind and start fresh in Florida. How do each of these sisters set out to start new lives away from the heavy history of their parents?
Essay Topic 3
The mystery surrounding Reina's true father is one of the greatest mysteries in the novel. Explain why Reina does not believe Ignacio is her natural birth father, and what evidence shows up during the course of the novel to support or discount her claims. Then explain what conclusion Reina finally comes to about her patronage at the end of the novel, and why.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)