|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What characteristic of his favorite animal does Ignacio find particularly attractive?
2. What does Constancia sell for a living?
3. What do Constancia's relatives tell her about Gonzalo Cruz while at the family funeral?
4. What ailment affects Constancia's son?
5. How are Ignacio and Blanca traveling through the swamp?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Silvestre arrive in Miami?
2. What bad omen does Soledad Aguero see on the day she gives birth to her son Ignacio?
3. What answers does Ignacio finally give to the readers as to his motivations in killing Blanca and lying to his daughters?
4. Why does Constancia visit Oscar Pinago?
5. What role does the hummingbird play in Blanca's death in the Zapatos Swamp?
6. How does Silvestre react to seeing Gonzalo in the hospital?
7. Why doesn't Reina want to work in Constancia's new factory?
8. How does Blanca's mental health deteriorate while she is pregnant with Constancia?
9. How does Ignacio's father die?
10. What does Dulce claim is the only thing the Cuban government cannot ration?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationship between the Aguero sisters, Constancia and Reina, took many curves and changes throughout the text of the novel. Create a time line of events that led to the reunification of the two sisters and then explain how the puzzle they solved regarding their family history could only have been solved if the two sisters worked together.
Essay Topic 2
There are many theories in the novel as to why Ignacio decided to kill his wife, Blanca. Explain what the various theories about his motivations in the swamp were, and support each theory with the evidence given as to Ignacio's time in the Zapatos Swamp on the fateful night in which Blanca died.
Essay Topic 3
Constancia has an obsession with the need to stay youthful. Explain how youth becomes one of the driving forces in Constancia's life. Then, use Constancia's childhood at the pig farm to rationalize her desperate need to stay young and beautiful. Does she accomplish this in her lifetime? Why or why not?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)