Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Reina spend most of her time while recovering from her injuries?
2. What does Constancia sell for a living?
3. What do Constancia's relatives tell her about Gonzalo Cruz while at the family funeral?
4. How far along into her pregnancy is Blanca Aguero when she miraculously returns to her family after going missing?
5. What is the name of Gonzalo's radical militia group?
Short Essay Questions
1. While working on an old car, what does Reina overhear about the exiles in Cuba?
2. How does the working relationship between Ignacio and Blanca change after she finds out she is pregnant?
3. How do Reina and Russ Hicks meet?
4. How does Reina feel about her relationship with Russ after returning from the journey with her sister?
5. How does Reina feel about Dulce having children?
6. How does Ignacio's father die?
7. In the second retelling of the final night in Zapatos Swamp, what does Ignacio remember about the moment when he shot his wife?
8. When does Constancia realize that her father, Ignacio, is lying to her about her mother's death?
9. How does Blanca's mental health deteriorate while she is pregnant with Constancia?
10. How does Ignacio's mother react to the news that Ignacio has dropped out of school?
Essay Topic 1
Constancia was married twice in her life to two brothers, Gonzalo and Herberto. Each of these relationships left a huge mark on Constancia's life. Compare/contrast the two marriages Constancia was in and then describe why she decided to leave each man. Is Constancia's life better or worse when she is living alone?
Essay Topic 2
When Reina was born, Constancia had an extremely adverse reaction to her new baby sister. Explain the way Constancia treated Reina, with at least two examples of abuse that were presented in the novel. Then, compare/contrast the reaction that both Ignacio and Blanca had to the way the two sisters interacted as children.
Essay Topic 3
For three generations, men have been impossibly attracted to the Aguero women - from Blanca to Reina to Dulce. Compare/contrast the way that each of these women used their attractiveness to better their own lives, and the relationships that each of these women had with the men who admired them.
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)