|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Reina bring with her to the funeral home to place in her mother's coffin?
2. Which of the following relatives of Herberto's does NOT fight in the Bay of Pigs?
3. Which of the following characters works as a prostitute to make a living?
4. How many volumes of books does Reina keep in her apartment?
5. As a child, who accompanies Reina to the funeral home after her mother's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Constancia react to the birth of her sister, Reina?
2. Why does Pepin bring a rooster into Reina's hospital room?
3. Why does the marriage between Dulce and Abelardo eventually fall apart?
4. What happens in the minutes before Dulce is arrested at the Habana Libre Hotel?
5. What does Constancia discover when she finds the small copper box in her father's old shed in Cuba?
6. What happens to Dulce when she is fired from her job and becomes homeless?
7. How does the working relationship between Ignacio and Blanca change after she finds out she is pregnant?
8. When does Constancia realize that her father, Ignacio, is lying to her about her mother's death?
9. Who is Evaristo Leal, and why does he show up on Constancia's doorstep?
10. What happens when Herberto decides to go fishing in Biscayne Bay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After their mother's death, Constancia and Reina grew apart from one another as both had different views of their mother. Compare/contrast the childhood of each of the sisters and explain what factors led to the two sisters having a strained and distant relationship into their adulthood.
Essay Topic 2
Family history haunting you is one of the strongest themes in the novel, and is perhaps best exemplified by the relationship between Silvestre and his father, Gonzalo. Explain the relationship Silvestre had with his father and how the acts that took place on Gonzalo's deathbed symbolize Silvestre's fear of family history.
Essay Topic 3
The curse of the Aguero sisters is hinted at throughout the text of the novel. Explain how the curse first reared its head with Constancia and Reina's grandmother, and then explain how the curse carried on through the generations of Aguero women. Finally, explain how the curse was finally broken by the Aguero sisters.
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)