|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position does Ignacio apply for on Dr. Samuel Forrest's team?
2. During what decade does the Prologue take place?
3. Who does Gonzalo claim is responsible for the attack on Herberto?
4. What ailment affects Constancia's son?
5. Which of Abelardo's family members does Dulce steal money and jewelry from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pepin bring a rooster into Reina's hospital room?
2. How is Reina Aguero described by her fellow electricians?
3. Why does Constancia travel door-to-door after Herberto goes missing?
4. Why does Silvestre arrive in Miami?
5. What is the incident that occurs in 1914 that Ignacio claims changed his father?
6. How does Reina skirt the Cuban government's system for processing travel visas?
7. Why are Ignacio and Blana in the swamp at the opening of the novel?
8. How does Ignacio's mother react to the news that Ignacio has dropped out of school?
9. What does Constancia discover when she finds the small copper box in her father's old shed in Cuba?
10. How does Silvestre react to seeing Gonzalo in the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Reina's view of love and sexuality was very strange in romantic relationships. Choose two romantic relationships Reina was a part of and compare/contrast them. What roles does Reina play in the relationships, and to whom does she choose to show affection? How?
Essay Topic 2
The mystery surrounding Reina's true father is one of the greatest mysteries in the novel. Explain why Reina does not believe Ignacio is her natural birth father, and what evidence shows up during the course of the novel to support or discount her claims. Then explain what conclusion Reina finally comes to about her patronage at the end of the novel, and why.
Essay Topic 3
Deception plays a large role in the relationships Constancia has with the men in her life. Choose two men who have been a part of Constancia's life and describe how their relationship was defined by deception, citing examples from the text.
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)