|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long do Ignacio's parents court before they are married?
2. What does Constancia sell for a living?
3. During what month is Ignacio Augero born?
4. After leaving Abelardo, what does Dulce find a job doing?
5. How does Herberto feel when he trains for the resistance in Cuba?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the santero advise Constancia to do before heading back to Cuba in search of the truth?
2. What is the time setting of the Prologue of the novel?
3. How does Reina work her way into the expensive yacht club?
4. What happens in the minutes before Dulce is arrested at the Habana Libre Hotel?
5. What is the incident that occurs in 1914 that Ignacio claims changed his father?
6. What does Dulce claim is the only thing the Cuban government cannot ration?
7. Why doesn't Reina want to work in Constancia's new factory?
8. What happens to Dulce when she is fired from her job and becomes homeless?
9. When does Constancia realize that her father, Ignacio, is lying to her about her mother's death?
10. How does Ignacio react to the news that his wife, Blanca, has gone missing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Cuban revolution plays a small role in the background of the novel. How does the Cuban Revolution affect the main characters, the Aguero sisters, during the course of this novel? What symbolic importance does the war have on what is happening in the sisters' lives? Why might Cristina Garcia have chosen to include it in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Reina's life in Cuba was heavily influenced by the presence of her deceased parents. Describe a day in Reina's life while she was living in Cuba and explain how the memory of her parents haunted every aspect of her life.
Essay Topic 3
There are many theories in the novel as to why Ignacio decided to kill his wife, Blanca. Explain what the various theories about his motivations in the swamp were, and support each theory with the evidence given as to Ignacio's time in the Zapatos Swamp on the fateful night in which Blanca died.
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)