|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose arrival are the people of Cuba celebrating on the day Ignacio is born?
2. Where is the gaping wound on Reina's mother's body?
3. How does Ignacio Aguero die?
4. During what decade does the Prologue take place?
5. What is Ignacio's mother's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Reina feel about Dulce having children?
2. How is Reina Aguero described by her fellow electricians?
3. How does Constancia Cruz feel about her job at the cosmetics store?
4. Why does Constancia travel door-to-door after Herberto goes missing?
5. What happens to the small pouch Blanca carries around her neck, after she dies?
6. Why does Reina visit La Virgen de la Caridad del Cobre?
7. What happens when Herberto decides to go fishing in Biscayne Bay?
8. What does Ignacio remember about the moments right after his wife was shot?
9. What happens when Reina attempts to move the last water pump in La Cobre?
10. How does Reina feel about her relationship with Russ after returning from the journey with her sister?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ignacio Aguero had a string of lies that he fed his daughters in regards to their mother's death. Create a time line of Ignacio's lies and describe how they changed and grew as his daughters aged. Then, explain how the constant lies affected the relationships both Reina and Constancia had with their father.
Essay Topic 2
Reina's view of love and sexuality was very strange in romantic relationships. Choose two romantic relationships Reina was a part of and compare/contrast them. What roles does Reina play in the relationships, and to whom does she choose to show affection? How?
Essay Topic 3
The Cuban revolution plays a small role in the background of the novel. How does the Cuban Revolution affect the main characters, the Aguero sisters, during the course of this novel? What symbolic importance does the war have on what is happening in the sisters' lives? Why might Cristina Garcia have chosen to include it in the novel?
This section contains 1,789 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)