|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Dulce fired for fraternizing with?
2. What type of scientist is Dr. Samuel Forrest?
3. What do Ignacio and Blanco do for a living?
4. During what month is Ignacio Augero born?
5. What instrument does Ignacio's mother play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What injuries does Reina sustain when she is hit by lightning?
2. How does Reina work her way into the expensive yacht club?
3. How do Reina and Russ Hicks meet?
4. Why does the marriage between Dulce and Abelardo eventually fall apart?
5. What happens when Dulce meets Bengt and returns to his hotel with him?
6. How does Blanca's mother die?
7. How does Reina skirt the Cuban government's system for processing travel visas?
8. What question does Dr. Samuel Forrest ask Ignacio during his job interview that ultimately earns him the job?
9. How does Blanca's mental health deteriorate while she is pregnant with Constancia?
10. When does Constancia realize that her father, Ignacio, is lying to her about her mother's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Constancia has an obsession with the need to stay youthful. Explain how youth becomes one of the driving forces in Constancia's life. Then, use Constancia's childhood at the pig farm to rationalize her desperate need to stay young and beautiful. Does she accomplish this in her lifetime? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
After their mother's death, Constancia and Reina grew apart from one another as both had different views of their mother. Compare/contrast the childhood of each of the sisters and explain what factors led to the two sisters having a strained and distant relationship into their adulthood.
Essay Topic 3
Family history haunting you is one of the strongest themes in the novel, and is perhaps best exemplified by the relationship between Silvestre and his father, Gonzalo. Explain the relationship Silvestre had with his father and how the acts that took place on Gonzalo's deathbed symbolize Silvestre's fear of family history.
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)