|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Gonzalo claim is responsible for the attack on Herberto?
2. How long does Reina sit in the Cuban government's office before she receives the answer about her visa to travel to America?
3. Who is Dulce fired for fraternizing with?
4. What do Reina's family and friends donate to her in the hopes of a speedy recovery?
5. What does Soledad attempt to throw at the bird she sees through the window?
Short Essay Questions
1. What memory haunts Reina in regards to her mother's death and visiting her at the funeral home?
2. How does Reina feel about Dulce having children?
3. What happens when Reina attempts to move the last water pump in La Cobre?
4. How does Constancia react to the birth of her sister, Reina?
5. What gifts does Reina give to Isabel and her new son, Raku?
6. How does Ignacio's father die?
7. What does Constancia discover when she finds the small copper box in her father's old shed in Cuba?
8. How does Ignacio meet Dr. Samuel Forrest?
9. How does Constancia Cruz feel about miracles?
10. How does Constancia react to Reina's theories about their father killing their mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The mystery surrounding Reina's true father is one of the greatest mysteries in the novel. Explain why Reina does not believe Ignacio is her natural birth father, and what evidence shows up during the course of the novel to support or discount her claims. Then explain what conclusion Reina finally comes to about her patronage at the end of the novel, and why.
Essay Topic 2
Ignacio is presented in the novel as a man who takes advantage of others in order to further his own career. Explain how Ignacio charmed his way into a luxurious life, and ultimately, what the effects of a swindler's life had on his existence.
Essay Topic 3
Money seems to be the one driving force in Dulce Aguero's life. Explain what Dulce's life was like while she was living in Cuba and why the prostitution jobs she took seemed necessary. Then, explain how Dulce's quest for financial stability affected the romantic relationships in her life.
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)