|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stops Herberto from fighting in the Bay of Pigs?
2. What does Reina offer to La Virgen de la Caridad del Cobre in prayer?
3. Which of the following words completes this sentence taken from Ignacio's deathbed note, "The quest for truth is far more glorious than the quest for ___________ ."
4. How long does the Cuban government state they will need to process Reina's visa application?
5. What happens between Abelardo and Dulce on the day she is arrested?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Silvestre arrive in Miami?
2. What does Constancia discover when she finds the small copper box in her father's old shed in Cuba?
3. What gifts does Reina give to Isabel and her new son, Raku?
4. How do Reinaldo and Soledad Vaerla meet?
5. Why does the Committee for the Defense of the Revolution come to visit Reina while she is recovering?
6. Why doesn't Herberto fight at the Bay of Pigs, and how does he feel afterward?
7. How does Silvestre react to seeing Gonzalo in the hospital?
8. How do Reina and Russ Hicks meet?
9. How does Reina adjust to living with Constancia?
10. What theory does Pepin Beltrán have about Reina's insomnia?
Essay Topic 1
The Cuban revolution plays a small role in the background of the novel. How does the Cuban Revolution affect the main characters, the Aguero sisters, during the course of this novel? What symbolic importance does the war have on what is happening in the sisters' lives? Why might Cristina Garcia have chosen to include it in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
When Reina was born, Constancia had an extremely adverse reaction to her new baby sister. Explain the way Constancia treated Reina, with at least two examples of abuse that were presented in the novel. Then, compare/contrast the reaction that both Ignacio and Blanca had to the way the two sisters interacted as children.
Essay Topic 3
Deception plays a large role in the relationships Constancia has with the men in her life. Choose two men who have been a part of Constancia's life and describe how their relationship was defined by deception, citing examples from the text.
This section contains 1,793 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)