|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time of day do Ignacio and Blanca stop to rest in their search?
2. What do Ignacio and Blanco do for a living?
3. What ailment affects Constancia's son?
4. What nickname does Reina receive from her co-workers?
5. What does the bird drop on the crowds of people celebrating in the streets of Cuba?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Reina and Russ Hicks meet?
2. How does Ignacio meet Dr. Samuel Forrest?
3. What role does the hummingbird play in Blanca's death in the Zapatos Swamp?
4. What happens when Ignacio and Blanca stop searching the swamp and decide to take a rest?
5. What question does Dr. Samuel Forrest ask Ignacio during his job interview that ultimately earns him the job?
6. Why does Pepin bring a rooster into Reina's hospital room?
7. How does Ignacio react after his wife dies in the swamp?
8. How does Ignacio react to the news that his wife, Blanca, has gone missing?
9. What happens to the small pouch Blanca carries around her neck, after she dies?
10. What injuries does Reina sustain when she is hit by lightning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Reina was born, Constancia had an extremely adverse reaction to her new baby sister. Explain the way Constancia treated Reina, with at least two examples of abuse that were presented in the novel. Then, compare/contrast the reaction that both Ignacio and Blanca had to the way the two sisters interacted as children.
Essay Topic 2
The mystery surrounding Reina's true father is one of the greatest mysteries in the novel. Explain why Reina does not believe Ignacio is her natural birth father, and what evidence shows up during the course of the novel to support or discount her claims. Then explain what conclusion Reina finally comes to about her patronage at the end of the novel, and why.
Essay Topic 3
After their mother's death, Constancia and Reina grew apart from one another as both had different views of their mother. Compare/contrast the childhood of each of the sisters and explain what factors led to the two sisters having a strained and distant relationship into their adulthood.
This section contains 1,814 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)