|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Constancia feel about Herberto joining a militia group?
2. Where are Ignacio and Blanca hoping to send the animal they are searching for?
3. What does Reina bring with her to the funeral home to place in her mother's coffin?
4. Which of the following words completes this sentence taken from Ignacio's deathbed note, "The quest for truth is far more glorious than the quest for ___________ ."
5. Where does Constancia find Herberto's body after he goes missing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ignacio meet Dr. Samuel Forrest?
2. How does Ignacio react to the news that his wife, Blanca, has gone missing?
3. What happens when Ignacio and Blanca stop searching the swamp and decide to take a rest?
4. How does Silvestre react to seeing Gonzalo in the hospital?
5. Who is Evaristo Leal, and why does he show up on Constancia's doorstep?
6. What theory does Pepin Beltrán have about Reina's insomnia?
7. How does Constancia Cruz feel about her job at the cosmetics store?
8. While working on an old car, what does Reina overhear about the exiles in Cuba?
9. How does Ignacio's mother react to the news that Ignacio has dropped out of school?
10. How does Ignacio's father die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Constancia was married twice in her life to two brothers, Gonzalo and Herberto. Each of these relationships left a huge mark on Constancia's life. Compare/contrast the two marriages Constancia was in and then describe why she decided to leave each man. Is Constancia's life better or worse when she is living alone?
Essay Topic 2
Ignacio is presented in the novel as a man who takes advantage of others in order to further his own career. Explain how Ignacio charmed his way into a luxurious life, and ultimately, what the effects of a swindler's life had on his existence.
Essay Topic 3
Reina's life in Cuba was heavily influenced by the presence of her deceased parents. Describe a day in Reina's life while she was living in Cuba and explain how the memory of her parents haunted every aspect of her life.
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)