|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Constancia feel about Herberto joining a militia group?
2. How far along into her pregnancy is Blanca Aguero when she miraculously returns to her family after going missing?
3. As an adult, where does Reina deposit her father's shotgun?
4. Which of the following relatives of Herberto's does NOT fight in the Bay of Pigs?
5. What illness strikes Reinaldo Aguero in the winter of 1914?
Short Essay Questions
1. While working on an old car, what does Reina overhear about the exiles in Cuba?
2. How do Reina and Russ Hicks meet?
3. How does Ignacio react to the news that his wife, Blanca, has gone missing?
4. What happens when Reina attempts to move the last water pump in La Cobre?
5. What gifts does Reina give to Isabel and her new son, Raku?
6. What is the time setting of the Prologue of the novel?
7. How does Ignacio's father die?
8. What does Constancia discover when she finds the small copper box in her father's old shed in Cuba?
9. In the second retelling of the final night in Zapatos Swamp, what does Ignacio remember about the moment when he shot his wife?
10. What memory haunts Reina in regards to her mother's death and visiting her at the funeral home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Family history haunting you is one of the strongest themes in the novel, and is perhaps best exemplified by the relationship between Silvestre and his father, Gonzalo. Explain the relationship Silvestre had with his father and how the acts that took place on Gonzalo's deathbed symbolize Silvestre's fear of family history.
Essay Topic 2
The mystery surrounding Reina's true father is one of the greatest mysteries in the novel. Explain why Reina does not believe Ignacio is her natural birth father, and what evidence shows up during the course of the novel to support or discount her claims. Then explain what conclusion Reina finally comes to about her patronage at the end of the novel, and why.
Essay Topic 3
Constancia has an obsession with the need to stay youthful. Explain how youth becomes one of the driving forces in Constancia's life. Then, use Constancia's childhood at the pig farm to rationalize her desperate need to stay young and beautiful. Does she accomplish this in her lifetime? Why or why not?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)