|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ignacio have a passion for even from an early age?
2. How long after Blanca's death does Ignacio die?
3. What does the bird drop on the crowds of people celebrating in the streets of Cuba?
4. How long do Ignacio's parents court before they are married?
5. How old is the man Reina's daughter intends to marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the santero advise Constancia to do before heading back to Cuba in search of the truth?
2. In the second retelling of the final night in Zapatos Swamp, what does Ignacio remember about the moment when he shot his wife?
3. How does Ignacio meet Dr. Samuel Forrest?
4. What question does Dr. Samuel Forrest ask Ignacio during his job interview that ultimately earns him the job?
5. Why is Renaldo Aguero well respected in his community?
6. While working on an old car, what does Reina overhear about the exiles in Cuba?
7. How does Constancia react to the birth of her sister, Reina?
8. What gifts does Reina give to Isabel and her new son, Raku?
9. What injuries does Reina sustain when she is hit by lightning?
10. How do Reina and Russ Hicks meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationship between the Aguero sisters, Constancia and Reina, took many curves and changes throughout the text of the novel. Create a time line of events that led to the reunification of the two sisters and then explain how the puzzle they solved regarding their family history could only have been solved if the two sisters worked together.
Essay Topic 2
After their mother's death, Constancia and Reina grew apart from one another as both had different views of their mother. Compare/contrast the childhood of each of the sisters and explain what factors led to the two sisters having a strained and distant relationship into their adulthood.
Essay Topic 3
Reina's view of love and sexuality was very strange in romantic relationships. Choose two romantic relationships Reina was a part of and compare/contrast them. What roles does Reina play in the relationships, and to whom does she choose to show affection? How?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)