|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT an injury that Reina sustained in her accident?
2. During what month is Ignacio Augero born?
3. After Herberto goes missing, what does Constancia begin selling door-to-door?
4. How many wives has Gonzalo Cruz had?
5. How does Herberto feel when he trains for the resistance in Cuba?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Reina attempts to move the last water pump in La Cobre?
2. How does Reina feel about Dulce having children?
3. How does Ignacio react after his wife dies in the swamp?
4. How does Ignacio meet Dr. Samuel Forrest?
5. Why does Constancia travel door-to-door after Herberto goes missing?
6. How do Reina and Russ Hicks meet?
7. How does Ignacio react to the news that his wife, Blanca, has gone missing?
8. What does Ignacio remember about the moments right after his wife was shot?
9. How does Ignacio's mother react to the news that Ignacio has dropped out of school?
10. What happens when Herberto decides to go fishing in Biscayne Bay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Cuban revolution plays a small role in the background of the novel. How does the Cuban Revolution affect the main characters, the Aguero sisters, during the course of this novel? What symbolic importance does the war have on what is happening in the sisters' lives? Why might Cristina Garcia have chosen to include it in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The curse of the Aguero sisters is hinted at throughout the text of the novel. Explain how the curse first reared its head with Constancia and Reina's grandmother, and then explain how the curse carried on through the generations of Aguero women. Finally, explain how the curse was finally broken by the Aguero sisters.
Essay Topic 3
When Reina was born, Constancia had an extremely adverse reaction to her new baby sister. Explain the way Constancia treated Reina, with at least two examples of abuse that were presented in the novel. Then, compare/contrast the reaction that both Ignacio and Blanca had to the way the two sisters interacted as children.
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)