|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Gonzalo claim is responsible for the attack on Herberto?
2. Which of the following is NOT an injury that Reina sustains trying to move the last water pump in El Cobre?
3. How long after Blanca's death does Ignacio die?
4. How does Constancia react to the birth of her new baby sister?
5. How are Ignacio and Blanca traveling through the swamp?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Gonzalo's theory about Herberto's attackers, and how does Constancia feel about Gonzalo's theory?
2. What gifts does Reina give to Isabel and her new son, Raku?
3. Why doesn't Reina want to work in Constancia's new factory?
4. What answers does Ignacio finally give to the readers as to his motivations in killing Blanca and lying to his daughters?
5. What happens to the small pouch Blanca carries around her neck, after she dies?
6. What role does the hummingbird play in Blanca's death in the Zapatos Swamp?
7. How does Ignacio react to the news that his wife, Blanca, has gone missing?
8. What bad omen does Soledad Aguero see on the day she gives birth to her son Ignacio?
9. Who is Evaristo Leal, and why does he show up on Constancia's doorstep?
10. How do Reina and Russ Hicks meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ignacio is presented in the novel as a man who takes advantage of others in order to further his own career. Explain how Ignacio charmed his way into a luxurious life, and ultimately, what the effects of a swindler's life had on his existence.
Essay Topic 2
The curse of the Aguero sisters is hinted at throughout the text of the novel. Explain how the curse first reared its head with Constancia and Reina's grandmother, and then explain how the curse carried on through the generations of Aguero women. Finally, explain how the curse was finally broken by the Aguero sisters.
Essay Topic 3
After their mother's death, Constancia and Reina grew apart from one another as both had different views of their mother. Compare/contrast the childhood of each of the sisters and explain what factors led to the two sisters having a strained and distant relationship into their adulthood.
This section contains 1,840 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)