Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Reina spend most of her time while recovering from her injuries?
2. What does Constancia sell for a living?
3. What do Constancia's relatives tell her about Gonzalo Cruz while at the family funeral?
4. How far along into her pregnancy is Blanca Aguero when she miraculously returns to her family after going missing?
5. What is the name of Gonzalo's radical militia group?
Short Essay Questions
1. While working on an old car, what does Reina overhear about the exiles in Cuba?
2. How does the working relationship between Ignacio and Blanca change after she finds out she is pregnant?
3. How do Reina and Russ Hicks meet?
4. How does Reina feel about her relationship with Russ after returning from the journey with her sister?
5. How does Reina feel about Dulce having children?
6. How does Ignacio's father die?
7. In the second retelling of the final night in Zapatos Swamp, what does Ignacio remember about the moment when he shot his wife?
8. When does Constancia realize that her father, Ignacio, is lying to her about her mother's death?
9. How does Blanca's mental health deteriorate while she is pregnant with Constancia?
10. How does Ignacio's mother react to the news that Ignacio has dropped out of school?
Essay Topic 1
Both Aguero sisters, Reina and Constancia, set out to start a new life for themselves in Miami. Compare/contrast the ways that each sister hopes to leave Cuba behind and start fresh in Florida. How do each of these sisters set out to start new lives away from the heavy history of their parents?
Essay Topic 2
The relationship between the Aguero sisters, Constancia and Reina, took many curves and changes throughout the text of the novel. Create a time line of events that led to the reunification of the two sisters and then explain how the puzzle they solved regarding their family history could only have been solved if the two sisters worked together.
Essay Topic 3
Constancia has an obsession with the need to stay youthful. Explain how youth becomes one of the driving forces in Constancia's life. Then, use Constancia's childhood at the pig farm to rationalize her desperate need to stay young and beautiful. Does she accomplish this in her lifetime? Why or why not?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)