|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many volumes of books does Reina keep in her apartment?
(a) Three hundred.
(b) None. Reina is terrified of books.
(c) Three thousand.
2. How far does Ignacio have to carry his wife's body to the nearest town?
(a) Seven hundred miles.
(b) Seven miles.
(c) Seventy miles.
(d) Seventeen miles.
3. Where does Dulce meet the foreigner, Bengt?
(a) At a dance hall.
(b) At a bowling alley.
(c) At a museum.
(d) At the theater.
4. What does Soledad attempt to throw at the bird she sees through the window?
(a) A book.
(b) A rock.
(c) A lamp.
(d) A pillow.
5. Where are Ignacio and Blanca hoping to send the animal they are searching for?
(a) To Boston.
(b) To New York City.
(c) To San Francisco.
(d) To New Orleans.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following words completes this sentence taken from Ignacio's deathbed note, "The quest for truth is far more glorious than the quest for ___________ ."
2. What is the relationship between Ignacio and Blanca Aguero?
3. What reason do the doctors give for Reina's injuries?
4. Which animals live in paddocks at Hialeah Park?
5. Where is Ignacio's father, Reinaldo, born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Reina attempts to move the last water pump in La Cobre?
2. How does Ignacio react after his wife dies in the swamp?
3. How does Constancia Cruz feel about her job at the cosmetics store?
4. How does Constancia react to the birth of her sister, Reina?
5. Why does Pepin bring a rooster into Reina's hospital room?
6. Who is Evaristo Leal, and why does he show up on Constancia's doorstep?
7. What does Dulce claim is the only thing the Cuban government cannot ration?
8. How does Silvestre react to seeing Gonzalo in the hospital?
9. How does Reina skirt the Cuban government's system for processing travel visas?
10. What injuries does Reina sustain when she is hit by lightning?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)