|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Constancia think happens to Herberto during the Cuban revolution?
(a) She thinks he was captured.
(b) She thinks he was victorious.
(c) She thinks he was killed.
(d) She thinks he chickend out of battle.
2. How does Reina react to Constancia's realization that their mother did not drown in the Zapatos swamp?
(a) She is confused.
(b) She is amused.
(c) She is furious.
(d) She ignores her sister completely.
3. Who narrates the final chapter of the novel?
4. When does Ignacio begin the trek to the nearest town after killing his wife?
(a) At midnight.
(b) At dusk.
(c) At noon.
(d) At dawn.
5. What does Blanca demand Ignacio give her after she finds out she is pregnant?
(a) A salary.
(b) A camera.
(c) A running automobile.
(d) A bible.
6. How does Silvestre kill his father?
(a) He stabs him.
(b) He suffocates him.
(c) He poisons him.
(d) He strangles him.
7. What does Evaristo Leal deliver to Constancia a few days after Gonzalo's funeral?
(a) An envelope of money.
(b) A letter.
(c) A bouquet of flowers.
(d) A box of photographs.
8. What is the name of Ignacio's first published book?
(a) Cuba's Dangerous Birds.
(b) Cuba's Diving Birds.
(c) Cuba's Dancing Birds.
(d) Cuba's Dying Birds.
9. When Reina realizes that she is pregnant, what animal does she compare the fetus to?
(a) A leech.
(b) A small frog.
(c) A hummingbird.
(d) A butterfly.
10. How many chairs does Blanca collect and store in her bedroom?
(a) Nine hundred.
11. In what class does Ignacio meet Blanca for the first time?
(c) Physical Education.
12. How many animals does Blanca's father single-handedly kill after the stampede kills his wife?
13. What does Dulce say she would rather do than have a baby?
(a) Be poisoned.
(b) Be starved to death.
(c) Be eaten by sharks.
(d) Be struck by lightning.
14. How long does Ignacio plan for his wife's death?
(a) He says he had been planning it for days.
(b) He says he had been planning it for months.
(c) He says he did not plan it.
(d) He says he had been planning it for weeks.
15. How does Ignacio's mother feel about her son quitting university?
(a) She begged him to return to his studies.
(b) She never found out, as Ignacio never told her.
(c) She was shocked because she didn't know he had enrolled in classes in the first place.
(d) She was glad he put his foolishness behind him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gonzalo doing when Silvestre arrives at the hospital?
2. How much notice does Silvestre give his mother before arriving at her doorstep?
3. How many of Gonazalo's wives show up to his funeral?
4. How many days does Dulce have to work to earn the money for airfare to Miami?
5. What does Constancia do with Herberto's body?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)