|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of Ignacio's family members is diagnosed with cancer while Ignacio is in college?
(a) His mother.
(b) His father.
(c) His grandmother.
(d) His grandfather.
2. How does Constancia respond to Reina's claim about their mother's graveside visitor?
(a) She does not acknowledge Reina's statements.
(b) She is interested in Reina's revelations.
(c) She is infuriated at Reina's blasphemy.
(d) She is amused by Reina's imagination.
3. How does Reina feel about Constancia's cosmetics business?
(a) She thinks it is a laughable business.
(b) She completely supports it.
(c) She is apathetic to it.
(d) She is confused by it.
4. What causes Silvestre's deafness?
(a) An amputated ear.
(b) A loud noise.
(c) A high fever.
(d) A genetic trait.
5. How does Ignacio's mother feel about her son quitting university?
(a) She begged him to return to his studies.
(b) She was glad he put his foolishness behind him.
(c) She never found out, as Ignacio never told her.
(d) She was shocked because she didn't know he had enrolled in classes in the first place.
6. Why does Reina love her new restoring job?
(a) Because she never wants to go back to prostitution.
(b) Because she can work at any time of the day.
(c) Because she knows Constancia is jealous of her.
(d) Because she loves the publicity she is receiving.
7. How many chairs does Blanca collect and store in her bedroom?
(c) Nine hundred.
8. What does Isabel name her newborn son?
9. What interesting person does Reina see only once at her mother's grave?
(a) A man who claimed to be Blanca's lover.
(b) A man who claimed to be Reina's brother.
(c) A man who claimed to be Reina's father.
(d) A man who claimed to be Blanca's killer.
10. What does Reina claim their father stole from their mother in order to better his own life?
(a) Her money.
(b) Her intelligence.
(c) Her family name.
(d) Her youth.
11. Who narrates the final chapter of the novel?
12. Why does Ignacio choose to lie to his daughters about their mother's death?
(a) He didn't want to terrify his daughters.
(b) Ignacio gives no reasons for his lies.
(c) He didn't want his daughters to hate him.
(d) He didn't want his daughters to turn him in to the police.
13. How does Constancia travel from Miami to Cuba?
(a) By airplane.
(b) By swimming.
(c) On a cruise ship.
(d) On Herberto's fishing boat.
14. What does Reina claim their mother kept hidden in a pouch around her neck?
(a) A lock of hair.
(b) A key.
(c) A gold coin.
(d) A bone.
15. What is the name of Ignacio's first published book?
(a) Cuba's Diving Birds.
(b) Cuba's Dying Birds.
(c) Cuba's Dancing Birds.
(d) Cuba's Dangerous Birds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Ignacio give for killing his wife?
2. Which of the following best describes Gonzalo's body when Silvestre arrives at the hospital?
3. Where does Dulce attempt to live after she becomes homeless?
4. How many animals does Blanca's father single-handedly kill after the stampede kills his wife?
5. When Reina sees herself naked, how large does she think she is?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)