• The Prologue opens with the couple Ignacio and Blanca Aguero riding on horseback through the Zapatos Swamp in search of a specimen of ruddy duck for a museum collection in Boston.
• Blanca is excited to see a rare bee hummingbird, but when she turns to tell her husband, she sees that he is pointing his gun directly in her face. He fires.
• As son as it is dark, Ignacio carries Blanca's body to the nearest town and begins to tell his lies.
Part 1, Acts of God
• The novel opens in 1990 in the city of El Cobre focusing on Reina Aguero, who is nearly 50-years-old and still stunning.
• Reina works as an electrician and also suffers from insomnia. Her lover, a 25-year-old, thinks the insomnia comes from her vast collection of books that have been in the apartment for over 40 years.
• Reina remembers how her father also suffered...
This section contains 3,361 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)