|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the topic of conversation at dinner?
2. What does Ellen tell Newland about their relationship?
3. What was Newland's first vacation destination choice?
4. What does Newland find when he reaches the house where Ellen is staying?
5. Why does May not want to attend the event of #92?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of women in high society in the late Nineteenth Century? What is Newland's conflict between what he believes their role should be and behaving within the approved structure?
Essay Topic 2
What is the van der Lydens' role in New York society? Where do they fit on the class pyramid? Why do they wield so much power?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Ellen's arrival into the scene so controversial? Why does she make the others so uncomfortable?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)