|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Newland and Ellen agree to do?
2. What is Ellen instructed to do?
3. What does Ellen receive while in Washington?
4. About what do Newland and Ellen talk?
5. Ellen did not announce her intention to return to Europe until ________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Newland continue behavior that shows he is still obsessed with Ellen?
2. How do Newland and Ellen decide to manage their situation?
3. What two rumors about Julius Beaufort surface in Chapter 26?
4. What was Newland's plan for running away with Ellen?
5. How is Ellen's unconventional behavior ultimately rationalized by friends and family?
6. How does Newland respond while traveling in Europe and receiving an invitation to visit Ellen at her home?
7. How does May catch Newland in another deceit about his relationship with Ellen?
8. What is the irony of Newland seeing Mr. Riviere when he returns to New York?
9. What is the family's continuing perception of Ellen?
10. Explain the nature of Newland's growing disappointment with his new wife.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Newland's perception of May evolves as he has more exposure to Ellen. How does Newland come to view May during their honeymoon trip? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of women in high society in the late Nineteenth Century? What is Newland's conflict between what he believes their role should be and behaving within the approved structure?
Essay Topic 3
What does the class system provide for the people in the story? Why is it necessary?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)