|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Newland excluded from many family conversations?
2. What does Mrs. Mingott tell her visitor?
3. What is Ellen instructed to do?
4. Who does Newland run into when he returns to New York?
5. What does Newland tell the Wellands he plans to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Ellen's unconventional behavior ultimately rationalized by friends and family?
2. Explain the nature of Newland's growing disappointment with his new wife.
3. What is Newland's plan in spite of a big going away party for Ellen?
4. What is the purpose of Newland's being summoned to see Mrs. Mingott?
5. What deceitful behavior does Newland exhibit in Chapter 22?
6. What do Newland and Ellen agree to do while they are about to leave the art museum?
7. How does Newland miss an opportunity to talk to Ellen while at Newport?
8. How does Newland once again raise May's suspicions about his intentions with Ellen?
9. How does May catch Newland in another deceit about his relationship with Ellen?
10. What two rumors about Julius Beaufort surface in Chapter 26?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Ellen run away to Skuytercliff? From what is she running away? Or is she hoping to find something?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of women in high society in the late Nineteenth Century? What is Newland's conflict between what he believes their role should be and behaving within the approved structure?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Newland become a champion for Ellen? What does it say about her personality? What does it say about his?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)