|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does May not want to attend the event of #92?
2. What is the content of a message Newland receives from May?
3. Why does Ellen not pursue a relationship with Newland?
4. What does Newland tell May about his business trip?
5. Why does Mrs. Mingott know that Newland is on her side?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Newland picks up Ellen at the train station?
2. What is the irony of Newland seeing Mr. Riviere when he returns to New York?
3. How is Ellen's unconventional behavior ultimately rationalized by friends and family?
4. What topic of conversation do Newland and Ellen inevitably discuss?
5. What is Mr. Riviere's opinion about Ellen returning to her husband?
6. What does Ellen tell Newland and how do they decide to spend the day in Boston?
7. How do Newland and Ellen decide to manage their situation?
8. What is the suspected cause of Mrs. Mingott's stroke?
9. What is Newland's plan in spite of a big going away party for Ellen?
10. What is the news that finally thwarts Newland and Ellen's ever being together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Newland choose not to visit Ellen at the end of the story? What is the significance of the blinds on Ellen's apartment shutting as Newland watches the window from below? What is Newland's mood as the story ends?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Ellen run away to Skuytercliff? From what is she running away? Or is she hoping to find something?
Essay Topic 3
Describe May Welland. Why is she the perfect girl for Newland to marry?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)