|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years have passed since the last chapter?
2. What decision does Newland make?
3. What is the topic of conversation at dinner?
4. Who had visited Mrs. Mingott the night before to ask for help?
5. What is the source of Mrs. Mingott's illness?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Newland find Ellen in Boston?
2. What is Newland's reaction when Ellen tells him they cannot run away together?
3. What happens when Newland picks up Ellen at the train station?
4. What was Newland's plan for running away with Ellen?
5. How do Newland and Ellen decide to manage their situation?
6. How does May catch Newland in another deceit about his relationship with Ellen?
7. What two rumors about Julius Beaufort surface in Chapter 26?
8. How does the author show that Newland and May are settling into a boring, routine marriage.
9. What event occurs to alter Newland's Washington travel plans?
10. What is the suspected cause of Mrs. Mingott's stroke?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Mrs. Mingott's role in New York society? What are her eccentricities? Why does she wield so much power?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Julius and Regina Beaufort. Why are they considered to be common among those in high class society? Why are they allowed admittance to high class life in New York?
Essay Topic 3
What is the van der Lydens' role in New York society? Where do they fit on the class pyramid? Why do they wield so much power?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)