|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has Ellen been living?
2. Why is Newland excluded from many family conversations?
3. What is Newland's secret plan?
4. What does Newland find when he reaches the house where Ellen is staying?
5. How did Newland plan to inform May of his plan?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Newland miss an opportunity to talk to Ellen while at Newport?
2. How does May catch Newland in another deceit about his relationship with Ellen?
3. What is the family's continuing perception of Ellen?
4. What two rumors about Julius Beaufort surface in Chapter 26?
5. What is Mr. Riviere's opinion about Ellen returning to her husband?
6. How does Newland find Ellen in Boston?
7. What ironic twist occurs just as Newland is about to admit his feelings for Ellen to May?
8. What was Newland's plan for running away with Ellen?
9. How do Newland and Ellen decide to manage their situation?
10. What is the suspected cause of Mrs. Mingott's stroke?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the class system provide for the people in the story? Why is it necessary?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Ellen run away to Skuytercliff? From what is she running away? Or is she hoping to find something?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Newland's perception of May evolves as he has more exposure to Ellen. How does Newland come to view May during their honeymoon trip? Why?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)