|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the topic of conversation at dinner?
2. What secret thought does Newland keep during the dinner?
3. Where is Newland surprised to see Ellen?
4. Who requests Newland to visit a few days later?
5. How does Newland travel to his destination?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the family's continuing perception of Ellen?
2. What deceitful behavior does Newland exhibit in Chapter 22?
3. How does the author show that Newland and May are settling into a boring, routine marriage.
4. How does Newland miss an opportunity to talk to Ellen while at Newport?
5. What do Newland and Ellen agree to do while they are about to leave the art museum?
6. How do Newland and Ellen decide to manage their situation?
7. Explain the nature of Newland's growing disappointment with his new wife.
8. How does Newland determine that he is kept out of many family discussions?
9. What was Newland's plan for running away with Ellen?
10. What happens when Newland picks up Ellen at the train station?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Newland think it is critical to announce his and May's engagement at the Beauforts' ball? What has happened to make the timing so critical? Does Ellen agree?
Essay Topic 2
Describe May Welland. Why is she the perfect girl for Newland to marry?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Newland never break his engagement to May in order to be with Ellen? Is his sense of decorum too strong or is he perhaps afraid of what being with Ellen might actually be like? Explain.
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)