|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who requests Newland to visit a few days later?
2. To what do people point to as the reason for Ellen's improper behavior?
3. Who does Newland run into when he returns to New York?
4. What is the topic of conversation at dinner?
5. What new game does May enjoy playing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ironic twist occurs just as Newland is about to admit his feelings for Ellen to May?
2. What do Newland and Ellen agree to do while they are about to leave the art museum?
3. What is the family's continuing perception of Ellen?
4. How does May catch Newland in another deceit about his relationship with Ellen?
5. How does Newland determine that he is kept out of many family discussions?
6. What is Mr. Riviere's opinion about Ellen returning to her husband?
7. How does Newland find Ellen in Boston?
8. How do Newland and Ellen decide to manage their situation?
9. What topic of conversation do Newland and Ellen inevitably discuss?
10. What is the irony of Newland seeing Mr. Riviere when he returns to New York?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Newland impulsively leave for Florida to join May's family? What has prompted him to make the decision? Is this decision typical of his nature?
Essay Topic 2
What is Mrs. Mingott's role in New York society? What are her eccentricities? Why does she wield so much power?
Essay Topic 3
What is the van der Lydens' role in New York society? Where do they fit on the class pyramid? Why do they wield so much power?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)