|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Newland tell May about his business trip?
2. What was Newland's first vacation destination choice?
3. What do Newland and Ellen agree to do?
4. Where has Ellen been living?
5. What does Newland understand after his conversation with Mrs. Mingott?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Newland find Ellen in Boston?
2. How does Newland determine that he is kept out of many family discussions?
3. What event occurs to alter Newland's Washington travel plans?
4. How does Newland once again raise May's suspicions about his intentions with Ellen?
5. How does Newland miss an opportunity to talk to Ellen while at Newport?
6. What was Newland's plan for running away with Ellen?
7. How does May catch Newland in another deceit about his relationship with Ellen?
8. What topic of conversation do Newland and Ellen inevitably discuss?
9. What does Ellen tell Newland and how do they decide to spend the day in Boston?
10. How do Newland and Ellen decide to manage their situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the story, Newland sends flowers to both May and Ellen. What flowers does he send to May? What is their significance? What flowers does he send to Ellen? What is their significance?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Newland think it is critical to announce his and May's engagement at the Beauforts' ball? What has happened to make the timing so critical? Does Ellen agree?
Essay Topic 3
What does the class system provide for the people in the story? Why is it necessary?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)