|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Newland and May spend the summer following their wedding?
2. Where is Newland sitting?
3. Where have the Wellands gone at the beginning of Chapter 22?
4. What does Newland tell May to get her to leave with him during the opera?
5. What is Mr. Riviere's belief about Ellen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Ellen's unconventional behavior ultimately rationalized by friends and family?
2. What do Newland and Ellen agree to do while they are about to leave the art museum?
3. What two rumors about Julius Beaufort surface in Chapter 26?
4. How does Newland once again raise May's suspicions about his intentions with Ellen?
5. What is Newland's plan in spite of a big going away party for Ellen?
6. How does May catch Newland in another deceit about his relationship with Ellen?
7. How does Newland continue behavior that shows he is still obsessed with Ellen?
8. How does Newland miss an opportunity to talk to Ellen while at Newport?
9. What does Ellen tell Newland and how do they decide to spend the day in Boston?
10. What event occurs to alter Newland's Washington travel plans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe May Welland. Why is she the perfect girl for Newland to marry?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Newland become a champion for Ellen? What does it say about her personality? What does it say about his?
Essay Topic 3
What is the van der Lydens' role in New York society? Where do they fit on the class pyramid? Why do they wield so much power?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)