|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Newland go after Ellen leaves?
2. To what do people point to as the reason for Ellen's improper behavior?
3. What do Newland and May do at the beginning of Chapter 24?
4. What does Ellen receive while in Washington?
5. In what city is the event of #92?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Newland miss an opportunity to talk to Ellen while at Newport?
2. How does Newland respond while traveling in Europe and receiving an invitation to visit Ellen at her home?
3. How is Ellen's unconventional behavior ultimately rationalized by friends and family?
4. What topic of conversation do Newland and Ellen inevitably discuss?
5. How does Newland determine that he is kept out of many family discussions?
6. How does Newland once again raise May's suspicions about his intentions with Ellen?
7. What is the news that finally thwarts Newland and Ellen's ever being together?
8. How does May catch Newland in another deceit about his relationship with Ellen?
9. What happens when Newland picks up Ellen at the train station?
10. What is the irony of Newland seeing Mr. Riviere when he returns to New York?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Mrs. Mingott's role in New York society? What are her eccentricities? Why does she wield so much power?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the irony of Newland's being asked to discourage Ellen from seeking a divorce. How does he handle the situation at first? What are his true feelings about Ellen's divorce proceedings?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Newland impulsively leave for Florida to join May's family? What has prompted him to make the decision? Is this decision typical of his nature?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)