|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did May die?
2. In what city is the event of #92?
3. Who is having dinner with Mrs. Archer, Janey, Newland and May?
4. What does Newland discover during the honeymoon?
5. What does Newland tell Ellen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Newland and Ellen agree to do while they are about to leave the art museum?
2. Why is May hesitant about attending a dinner party while on the honeymoon trip in Europe?
3. How does Newland find Ellen in Boston?
4. How is Ellen's unconventional behavior ultimately rationalized by friends and family?
5. How does Newland once again raise May's suspicions about his intentions with Ellen?
6. What topic of conversation do Newland and Ellen inevitably discuss?
7. What is the state of Newland and May's marriage and family twenty-five-years after Ellen returns to Europe?
8. What deceitful behavior does Newland exhibit in Chapter 22?
9. What is the purpose of Newland's being summoned to see Mrs. Mingott?
10. What does Ellen tell Newland and how do they decide to spend the day in Boston?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Julius and Regina Beaufort. Why are they considered to be common among those in high class society? Why are they allowed admittance to high class life in New York?
Essay Topic 2
What is the van der Lydens' role in New York society? Where do they fit on the class pyramid? Why do they wield so much power?
Essay Topic 3
During the story, Newland sends flowers to both May and Ellen. What flowers does he send to May? What is their significance? What flowers does he send to Ellen? What is their significance?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)