|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Newland's response to Ellen's statement about their relationship?
2. Who does Newland run into when he returns to New York?
3. What does Mrs. Mingott ask of Newland?
4. Where do Newland and May go on their honeymoon trip?
5. What does Newland tell the Wellands he plans to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Newland find Ellen in Boston?
2. Why is May hesitant about attending a dinner party while on the honeymoon trip in Europe?
3. How does May catch Newland in another deceit about his relationship with Ellen?
4. What is the state of Newland and May's marriage and family twenty-five-years after Ellen returns to Europe?
5. What two rumors about Julius Beaufort surface in Chapter 26?
6. What do Newland and Ellen agree to do while they are about to leave the art museum?
7. How does Newland miss an opportunity to talk to Ellen while at Newport?
8. How do Newland and Ellen decide to manage their situation?
9. What deceitful behavior does Newland exhibit in Chapter 22?
10. How does Newland once again raise May's suspicions about his intentions with Ellen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Newland become a champion for Ellen? What does it say about her personality? What does it say about his?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Ellen run away to Skuytercliff? From what is she running away? Or is she hoping to find something?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Newland's perception of May evolves as he has more exposure to Ellen. How does Newland come to view May during their honeymoon trip? Why?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)