|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ellen not pursue a relationship with Newland?
2. What does Ellen receive while in Washington?
3. At whose home do Newland, May, Mrs. Archer, Janey and Mr. Jackson dine before going to the opera?
4. What does Newland tell the Wellands he plans to do?
5. What does Mrs. Mingott ask of Newland?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ellen tell Newland and how do they decide to spend the day in Boston?
2. How does May catch Newland in another deceit about his relationship with Ellen?
3. What was Newland's plan for running away with Ellen?
4. What event occurs to alter Newland's Washington travel plans?
5. How does Newland once again raise May's suspicions about his intentions with Ellen?
6. What is the irony of Newland seeing Mr. Riviere when he returns to New York?
7. What is Newland's reaction when Ellen tells him they cannot run away together?
8. What is Newland's plan in spite of a big going away party for Ellen?
9. What is the purpose of Newland's being summoned to see Mrs. Mingott?
10. How does Newland determine that he is kept out of many family discussions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Newland's perception of May evolves as he has more exposure to Ellen. How does Newland come to view May during their honeymoon trip? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Ellen run away to Skuytercliff? From what is she running away? Or is she hoping to find something?
Essay Topic 3
The story takes place in the early 1870s in New York City. Explain why the story could not have taken place in any other setting--both time period and location.
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)