|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the content of a message Newland receives from May?
2. What does Mrs. Mingott ask of Newland?
3. How did May die?
4. What does Newland find when he reaches the house where Ellen is staying?
5. Newland learns that all New York society thinks he and ______________ are lovers.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Newland find Ellen in Boston?
2. What is the family's continuing perception of Ellen?
3. Explain the nature of Newland's growing disappointment with his new wife.
4. How does Newland continue behavior that shows he is still obsessed with Ellen?
5. What is the irony of Newland seeing Mr. Riviere when he returns to New York?
6. How does Newland miss an opportunity to talk to Ellen while at Newport?
7. What topic of conversation do Newland and Ellen inevitably discuss?
8. How does Newland once again raise May's suspicions about his intentions with Ellen?
9. How does the author show that Newland and May are settling into a boring, routine marriage.
10. How do Newland and Ellen decide to manage their situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain all the rumors surrounding Ellen. What indiscretions was she connected with before arriving in New York? What indiscretions does she commit while in New York?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Julius and Regina Beaufort. Why are they considered to be common among those in high class society? Why are they allowed admittance to high class life in New York?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of women in high society in the late Nineteenth Century? What is Newland's conflict between what he believes their role should be and behaving within the approved structure?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)