|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what do Newland and Ellen talk?
2. What does Ellen's family now consider her?
3. What does Newland find when he reaches the house where Ellen is staying?
4. What secret thought does Newland keep during the dinner?
5. Who had visited Mrs. Mingott the night before to ask for help?
Short Essay Questions
1. What deceitful behavior does Newland exhibit in Chapter 22?
2. What happens when Newland picks up Ellen at the train station?
3. What event occurs to alter Newland's Washington travel plans?
4. How does Newland miss an opportunity to talk to Ellen while at Newport?
5. What is the purpose of Newland's being summoned to see Mrs. Mingott?
6. What was Newland's plan for running away with Ellen?
7. What is the suspected cause of Mrs. Mingott's stroke?
8. What is the irony of Newland seeing Mr. Riviere when he returns to New York?
9. How does Newland respond while traveling in Europe and receiving an invitation to visit Ellen at her home?
10. What is Newland's plan in spite of a big going away party for Ellen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Newland consider his role to be as May's new husband? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Newland think it is critical to announce his and May's engagement at the Beauforts' ball? What has happened to make the timing so critical? Does Ellen agree?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the irony of Newland's being asked to discourage Ellen from seeking a divorce. How does he handle the situation at first? What are his true feelings about Ellen's divorce proceedings?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)