|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Riviere's belief about Ellen?
2. Where do Newland and May go on their honeymoon trip?
3. What decision does Newland make?
4. What was Newland's first vacation destination choice?
5. What is the source of Mrs. Mingott's illness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ellen tell Newland and how do they decide to spend the day in Boston?
2. How do Newland and Ellen decide to manage their situation?
3. Why is May hesitant about attending a dinner party while on the honeymoon trip in Europe?
4. How does the author show that Newland and May are settling into a boring, routine marriage.
5. What is the purpose of Newland's being summoned to see Mrs. Mingott?
6. How does Newland determine that he is kept out of many family discussions?
7. What two rumors about Julius Beaufort surface in Chapter 26?
8. What is the news that finally thwarts Newland and Ellen's ever being together?
9. What is Mr. Riviere's opinion about Ellen returning to her husband?
10. What is the suspected cause of Mrs. Mingott's stroke?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the story, Newland sends flowers to both May and Ellen. What flowers does he send to May? What is their significance? What flowers does he send to Ellen? What is their significance?
Essay Topic 2
What is Mrs. Mingott's role in New York society? What are her eccentricities? Why does she wield so much power?
Essay Topic 3
What does the class system provide for the people in the story? Why is it necessary?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)