|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does May tell Newland when he mentions Ellen?
2. Ellen did not announce her intention to return to Europe until ________________________.
3. What secret thought does Newland keep during the dinner?
4. What new game does May enjoy playing?
5. Where is Newland surprised to see Ellen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Newland determine that he is kept out of many family discussions?
2. What is the state of Newland and May's marriage and family twenty-five-years after Ellen returns to Europe?
3. What is Mr. Riviere's opinion about Ellen returning to her husband?
4. How does May catch Newland in another deceit about his relationship with Ellen?
5. What is the news that finally thwarts Newland and Ellen's ever being together?
6. What event occurs to alter Newland's Washington travel plans?
7. Explain the nature of Newland's growing disappointment with his new wife.
8. What was Newland's plan for running away with Ellen?
9. What is Newland's plan in spite of a big going away party for Ellen?
10. How does Newland respond while traveling in Europe and receiving an invitation to visit Ellen at her home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Julius and Regina Beaufort. Why are they considered to be common among those in high class society? Why are they allowed admittance to high class life in New York?
Essay Topic 2
Describe May Welland. Why is she the perfect girl for Newland to marry?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the irony of Newland's being asked to discourage Ellen from seeking a divorce. How does he handle the situation at first? What are his true feelings about Ellen's divorce proceedings?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)