|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mutual confession do Newland and Ellen make?
2. To whom is Dallas engaged to be married?
3. How does Ellen react when Newland kisses her palm?
4. What is Newland's response to Ellen's statement about their relationship?
5. What does Newland find when he reaches the house where Ellen is staying?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Newland and Ellen agree to do while they are about to leave the art museum?
2. What two rumors about Julius Beaufort surface in Chapter 26?
3. What is the news that finally thwarts Newland and Ellen's ever being together?
4. What is the state of Newland and May's marriage and family twenty-five-years after Ellen returns to Europe?
5. What event occurs to alter Newland's Washington travel plans?
6. What is the suspected cause of Mrs. Mingott's stroke?
7. Explain the nature of Newland's growing disappointment with his new wife.
8. How does Newland once again raise May's suspicions about his intentions with Ellen?
9. What does Ellen tell Newland and how do they decide to spend the day in Boston?
10. What happens when Newland picks up Ellen at the train station?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the van der Lydens' role in New York society? Where do they fit on the class pyramid? Why do they wield so much power?
Essay Topic 2
The story takes place in the early 1870s in New York City. Explain why the story could not have taken place in any other setting--both time period and location.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of women in high society in the late Nineteenth Century? What is Newland's conflict between what he believes their role should be and behaving within the approved structure?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)