|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Newland plan to inform May of his plan?
2. Who is staying with Mrs. Mingott in Newport?
3. What does Mrs. Mingott ask of Newland?
4. What does Ellen ask of Newland?
5. How many years have passed since the last chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is May hesitant about attending a dinner party while on the honeymoon trip in Europe?
2. How does Newland determine that he is kept out of many family discussions?
3. What happens when Newland picks up Ellen at the train station?
4. What two rumors about Julius Beaufort surface in Chapter 26?
5. What is the purpose of Newland's being summoned to see Mrs. Mingott?
6. What do Newland and Ellen agree to do while they are about to leave the art museum?
7. What deceitful behavior does Newland exhibit in Chapter 22?
8. What is the family's continuing perception of Ellen?
9. What is the state of Newland and May's marriage and family twenty-five-years after Ellen returns to Europe?
10. What is the irony of Newland seeing Mr. Riviere when he returns to New York?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Newland think it is critical to announce his and May's engagement at the Beauforts' ball? What has happened to make the timing so critical? Does Ellen agree?
Essay Topic 2
What does the class system provide for the people in the story? Why is it necessary?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Newland become a champion for Ellen? What does it say about her personality? What does it say about his?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)