|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ellen sends Newland a letter asking him _________________________________.
2. What does Newland do when he sees that Ellen already has a visitor?
3. What does Ellen tell Newland?
4. Who hosts Newland and May at their accommodations?
5. What does Newland consider his job to be regarding May?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Newland determine that he is kept out of many family discussions?
2. How does the author show that Newland and May are settling into a boring, routine marriage.
3. What do Newland and Ellen agree to do while they are about to leave the art museum?
4. What conflicting messages does Newland receive about Ellen's feelings for him in Chapter 15?
5. What two rumors about Julius Beaufort surface in Chapter 26?
6. How does Ellen show her disdain for her husband?
7. What is the turning point of the book as exhibited in Chapter 19?
8. How does Newland perceive his role as May's future husband?
9. What is Newland's reaction when Ellen tells him they cannot run away together?
10. What does Ellen do to create some drama in her relationship with Newland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Mrs. Mingott's role in New York society? What are her eccentricities? Why does she wield so much power?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Ellen's arrival into the scene so controversial? Why does she make the others so uncomfortable?
Essay Topic 3
During the story, Newland sends flowers to both May and Ellen. What flowers does he send to May? What is their significance? What flowers does he send to Ellen? What is their significance?
This section contains 1,335 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)