|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what action of Ellen's does Newland approve?
2. Where is Newland sitting at the beginning of Chapter 13?
3. What is Newland's objection to handling the divorce?
4. How does May react to Newland's request?
5. What surprises Newland when he arrives at Ellen's the next evening?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Newland visit Mrs. Mingott when he returns to New York?
2. Who is Ellen Olenska?
3. What is the setting for the story and the first chapter in particular?
4. What misgivings does Newland have regarding his marriage to May?
5. Explain why Newland is both baffled and pleased by a visit to Ellen's home.
6. What legal case is Newland asked to handle in which he feels a conflict of interest?
7. Describe the Beauforts and their place in New York society.
8. How does Ellen show her disdain for her husband?
9. In what way does Newland show his growing fondness for Ellen?
10. How do Newland and Ellen finally reveal their true feelings for each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Newland's perception of May evolves as he has more exposure to Ellen. How does Newland come to view May during their honeymoon trip? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Ellen run away to Skuytercliff? From what is she running away? Or is she hoping to find something?
Essay Topic 3
What does the class system provide for the people in the story? Why is it necessary?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)