|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who hosts the event in Chapter 3?
2. What does Ellen do when Newland asks her to stop the divorce petition?
3. What does Newland ask Ellen?
4. What is the law firm's position on the divorce?
5. Who occupies Newland's thoughts these days?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ellen show her disdain for her husband?
2. What conflicting messages does Newland receive about Ellen's feelings for him in Chapter 15?
3. What does Ellen do to create some drama in her relationship with Newland?
4. Why does Newland visit Mrs. Mingott when he returns to New York?
5. What does Newland do after the awkward meeting with Ellen at Skuytercliff?
6. What misgivings does Newland have regarding his marriage to May?
7. How does Ellen exhibit unconventional behavior in public in Chapter 8?
8. How does Newland's sudden change of plans betray his feelings for Ellen?
9. How are Newland's feelings for Ellen obvious despite his attempts at decorum?
10. What is the turning point of the book as exhibited in Chapter 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe May Welland. Why is she the perfect girl for Newland to marry?
Essay Topic 2
What does the class system provide for the people in the story? Why is it necessary?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Newland's perception of May evolves as he has more exposure to Ellen. How does Newland come to view May during their honeymoon trip? Why?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)