|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Newland and May spend the first few days of their marriage?
2. What does Newland do when he sees that Ellen already has a visitor?
3. What is Newland pleasantly surprised to find out about Ellen?
4. What type of people live in the area where Ellen lives?
5. What does Newland pressure May to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the family's continuing perception of Ellen?
2. What is the purpose of Newland's being summoned to see Mrs. Mingott?
3. Explain Newland and May's betrothal visits.
4. How does Newland determine that he is kept out of many family discussions?
5. What is the news that finally thwarts Newland and Ellen's ever being together?
6. What is the opinion of Ellen held by the Archer family members?
7. What is the reason for the Wellands' annual trip to Florida?
8. How does Newland continue behavior that shows he is still obsessed with Ellen?
9. How does May catch Newland in another deceit about his relationship with Ellen?
10. How does Newland perceive his role as May's future husband?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the irony of Newland's being asked to discourage Ellen from seeking a divorce. How does he handle the situation at first? What are his true feelings about Ellen's divorce proceedings?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the courtship, engagement and wedding rules of high society during the late Nineteenth Century. Which rule does Newland lobby to break and why?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Newland's perception of May evolves as he has more exposure to Ellen. How does Newland come to view May during their honeymoon trip? Why?
This section contains 1,352 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)