|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who occupies Newland's thoughts these days?
2. Who do Newland and May visit first on their betrothal visits?
3. Who had sent the object in #79?
4. What do Newland and May do at the beginning of Chapter 10?
5. Who is a guest at Skuytercliff?
Short Essay Questions
1. What legal case is Newland asked to handle in which he feels a conflict of interest?
2. How does Newland perceive his role as May's future husband?
3. Who is Ellen Olenska?
4. Describe the Beauforts and their place in New York society.
5. Explain Newland and May's betrothal visits.
6. What is the reason for the Wellands' annual trip to Florida?
7. How does Ellen show her disdain for her husband?
8. How does Ellen exhibit unconventional behavior in public in Chapter 8?
9. How does the author indicate Ellen's feelings for Newland at this point?
10. What conflicting messages does Newland receive about Ellen's feelings for him in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the story, Newland sends flowers to both May and Ellen. What flowers does he send to May? What is their significance? What flowers does he send to Ellen? What is their significance?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Newland never break his engagement to May in order to be with Ellen? Is his sense of decorum too strong or is he perhaps afraid of what being with Ellen might actually be like? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What does Newland consider his role to be as May's new husband? Why?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)