|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Newland told when he arrives at Ellen's house?
2. Who hosts the event in Chapter 3?
3. What does the answer to #73 ask Newland?
4. What type of flowers does Newland send to Ellen that night?
5. How does May react to Newland's request?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Newland and Ellen agree to do while they are about to leave the art museum?
2. What ironic twist occurs just as Newland is about to admit his feelings for Ellen to May?
3. What legal case is Newland asked to handle in which he feels a conflict of interest?
4. How does Newland maintain a flirtation with Ellen?
5. Why does Newland visit Mrs. Mingott when he returns to New York?
6. How does Newland continue behavior that shows he is still obsessed with Ellen?
7. How does Newland perceive his role as May's future husband?
8. What is the setting for the story and the first chapter in particular?
9. What does Ellen decide about her divorce after discussing it with Newland?
10. What conflicting messages does Newland receive about Ellen's feelings for him in Chapter 15?
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of women in high society in the late Nineteenth Century? What is Newland's conflict between what he believes their role should be and behaving within the approved structure?
Essay Topic 2
What is Mrs. Mingott's role in New York society? What are her eccentricities? Why does she wield so much power?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Newland choose not to visit Ellen at the end of the story? What is the significance of the blinds on Ellen's apartment shutting as Newland watches the window from below? What is Newland's mood as the story ends?
This section contains 1,285 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)