|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ellen sends Newland a note saying that she "ran away" to "______________________."
2. Where does Newland go the next day?
3. What convinces May that Newland wants to marry her?
4. In what city is Newland and May's wedding held?
5. Who dines at the Archer household the night after the ball?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conflicting messages does Newland receive about Ellen's feelings for him in Chapter 15?
2. Explain why Newland is both baffled and pleased by a visit to Ellen's home.
3. How do Newland and Ellen finally reveal their true feelings for each other?
4. What does Newland do after the awkward meeting with Ellen at Skuytercliff?
5. What is the setting for the story and the first chapter in particular?
6. Who is Ellen Olenska?
7. What is the turning point of the book as exhibited in Chapter 19?
8. What is the opinion of Ellen held by the Archer family members?
9. Describe the Beauforts and their place in New York society.
10. What legal case is Newland asked to handle in which he feels a conflict of interest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Newland choose not to visit Ellen at the end of the story? What is the significance of the blinds on Ellen's apartment shutting as Newland watches the window from below? What is Newland's mood as the story ends?
Essay Topic 2
What does Newland consider his role to be as May's new husband? Why?
Essay Topic 3
During the story, Newland sends flowers to both May and Ellen. What flowers does he send to May? What is their significance? What flowers does he send to Ellen? What is their significance?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)