|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what decade does this story begin?
2. Where do Newland and May spend the first few days of their marriage?
3. What does Newland ask Mrs. Mingott to do?
4. What type of flowers does Newland send Ellen?
5. How does May react to Newland's request?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Newland's sudden change of plans betray his feelings for Ellen?
2. How does Ellen show her disdain for her husband?
3. What does Newland do after the awkward meeting with Ellen at Skuytercliff?
4. What is the turning point of the book as exhibited in Chapter 19?
5. How does Newland perceive his role as May's future husband?
6. Describe how the van der Luydens show their power in New York society.
7. How are Newland's feelings for Ellen obvious despite his attempts at decorum?
8. What is the setting for the story and the first chapter in particular?
9. Describe the Beauforts and their place in New York society.
10. How does Newland feel about Ellen's rumored involvement with her husband's secretary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story takes place in the early 1870s in New York City. Explain why the story could not have taken place in any other setting--both time period and location.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Newland impulsively leave for Florida to join May's family? What has prompted him to make the decision? Is this decision typical of his nature?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Ellen's arrival into the scene so controversial? Why does she make the others so uncomfortable?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)