|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Newland push?
2. Who accompanies Newland and May on their betrothal visits?
3. In what decade does this story begin?
4. What does Ellen say she will gain through the divorce?
5. What does Newland send to Ellen?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Newland show his growing fondness for Ellen?
2. What does Newland do after the awkward meeting with Ellen at Skuytercliff?
3. How does Ellen exhibit unconventional behavior in public in Chapter 8?
4. Explain why Newland is both baffled and pleased by a visit to Ellen's home.
5. What misgivings does Newland have regarding his marriage to May?
6. On what issue does Newland ask May to violate social norms?
7. What is the reason for the Wellands' annual trip to Florida?
8. What is the turning point of the book as exhibited in Chapter 19?
9. Describe the Beauforts and their place in New York society.
10. Who is Ellen Olenska?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Newland's perception of May evolves as he has more exposure to Ellen. How does Newland come to view May during their honeymoon trip? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Newland become a champion for Ellen? What does it say about her personality? What does it say about his?
Essay Topic 3
What does the class system provide for the people in the story? Why is it necessary?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)