|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ellen Olenska appear to Newland when he sees her at a dinner party?
2. Who is a guest at Skuytercliff?
3. Who is Newland Archer's fiancee?
4. What is the event of the season?
5. What does Newland ask Mrs. Mingott to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Newland and Ellen finally reveal their true feelings for each other?
2. Why does Newland visit Mrs. Mingott when he returns to New York?
3. How does the author indicate Ellen's feelings for Newland at this point?
4. Who is Ellen Olenska?
5. Explain Newland's conflict in being asked to handle Ellen's divorce?
6. Describe the Beauforts and their place in New York society.
7. On what issue does Newland ask May to violate social norms?
8. What is the opinion of Ellen held by the Archer family members?
9. How does Ellen exhibit unconventional behavior in public in Chapter 8?
10. What is the setting for the story and the first chapter in particular?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Newland think it is critical to announce his and May's engagement at the Beauforts' ball? What has happened to make the timing so critical? Does Ellen agree?
Essay Topic 2
What is Mrs. Mingott's role in New York society? What are her eccentricities? Why does she wield so much power?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Newland impulsively leave for Florida to join May's family? What has prompted him to make the decision? Is this decision typical of his nature?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)