|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Newland sitting at the beginning of Chapter 13?
2. What is the law firm's position on the divorce?
3. For what does Newland push?
4. What is the popular rumor already in existence about Ellen?
5. Who do the van der Luydens agree to include in an upcoming dinner party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ellen do to create some drama in her relationship with Newland?
2. Why does Newland visit Mrs. Mingott when he returns to New York?
3. How does Ellen show her disdain for her husband?
4. What convinces May that Newland really does want to marry her?
5. How do Newland and Ellen finally reveal their true feelings for each other?
6. In what way does Newland show his growing fondness for Ellen?
7. What is the setting for the story and the first chapter in particular?
8. How does Newland's sudden change of plans betray his feelings for Ellen?
9. What does Newland do after the awkward meeting with Ellen at Skuytercliff?
10. Explain Newland and May's betrothal visits.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain all the rumors surrounding Ellen. What indiscretions was she connected with before arriving in New York? What indiscretions does she commit while in New York?
Essay Topic 2
What does Newland consider his role to be as May's new husband? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Newland impulsively leave for Florida to join May's family? What has prompted him to make the decision? Is this decision typical of his nature?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)