|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Ellen when Newland finds her at the beginning of Chapter 15?
2. What does Newland think of his fiancee, May Welland?
3. Who has been asked to handle the divorce case?
4. Where does Newland go the next evening?
5. What is Newland's objection to handling the divorce?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Newland show his growing fondness for Ellen?
2. Explain why Newland is both baffled and pleased by a visit to Ellen's home.
3. How are Newland's feelings for Ellen obvious despite his attempts at decorum?
4. How do Newland and Ellen finally reveal their true feelings for each other?
5. Explain Newland's conflict in being asked to handle Ellen's divorce?
6. Who is Ellen Olenska?
7. What misgivings does Newland have regarding his marriage to May?
8. How does Newland feel about Ellen's rumored involvement with her husband's secretary?
9. What is the turning point of the book as exhibited in Chapter 19?
10. What is the opinion of Ellen held by the Archer family members?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Ellen's arrival into the scene so controversial? Why does she make the others so uncomfortable?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Newland choose not to visit Ellen at the end of the story? What is the significance of the blinds on Ellen's apartment shutting as Newland watches the window from below? What is Newland's mood as the story ends?
Essay Topic 3
What does the class system provide for the people in the story? Why is it necessary?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)