|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What social impropriety does Ellen commit at the dinner party?
2. Ellen sends Newland a note saying that she "ran away" to "______________________."
3. What does Newland ask Ellen?
4. For what does Newland push?
5. Who does Newland discover is visiting Ellen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author indicate Ellen's feelings for Newland at this point?
2. Describe the Beauforts and their place in New York society.
3. How does Newland miss an opportunity to talk to Ellen while at Newport?
4. What does Ellen decide about her divorce after discussing it with Newland?
5. What does Ellen do to create some drama in her relationship with Newland?
6. How does Ellen show her disdain for her husband?
7. Explain Newland and May's betrothal visits.
8. What is Mr. Riviere's opinion about Ellen returning to her husband?
9. What is the family's continuing perception of Ellen?
10. What is Newland's plan in spite of a big going away party for Ellen?
Essay Topic 1
Explain all the rumors surrounding Ellen. What indiscretions was she connected with before arriving in New York? What indiscretions does she commit while in New York?
Essay Topic 2
What is Mrs. Mingott's role in New York society? What are her eccentricities? Why does she wield so much power?
Essay Topic 3
What is the van der Lydens' role in New York society? Where do they fit on the class pyramid? Why do they wield so much power?
This section contains 1,455 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)