|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the event that occurs in Chapter 3?
2. What does Newland ask Ellen?
3. Who does Newland discover is visiting Ellen?
4. With whom did Newland have an affair at one time?
5. Why is Ellen's family pleased with Newland?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the opinion of Ellen held by the Archer family members?
2. How does Newland perceive his role as May's future husband?
3. Explain Newland's conflict in being asked to handle Ellen's divorce?
4. Describe the Beauforts and their place in New York society.
5. Describe how the van der Luydens show their power in New York society.
6. How are Newland's feelings for Ellen obvious despite his attempts at decorum?
7. What is the setting for the story and the first chapter in particular?
8. What is the turning point of the book as exhibited in Chapter 19?
9. How does Ellen exhibit unconventional behavior in public in Chapter 8?
10. What does Ellen do to create some drama in her relationship with Newland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the story, Newland sends flowers to both May and Ellen. What flowers does he send to May? What is their significance? What flowers does he send to Ellen? What is their significance?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Newland choose not to visit Ellen at the end of the story? What is the significance of the blinds on Ellen's apartment shutting as Newland watches the window from below? What is Newland's mood as the story ends?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Newland impulsively leave for Florida to join May's family? What has prompted him to make the decision? Is this decision typical of his nature?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)