|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Newland told when he arrives at Ellen's house?
2. What does Newland consider his job to be regarding May?
3. What type of flowers does Newland send Ellen?
4. Where does Newland go at the beginning of Chapter 12?
5. What does Ellen say she will gain through the divorce?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ellen exhibit unconventional behavior in public in Chapter 8?
2. Why does Newland visit Mrs. Mingott when he returns to New York?
3. What issue does Newland bring up again when he sees May?
4. How are Newland's feelings for Ellen obvious despite his attempts at decorum?
5. What is the setting for the story and the first chapter in particular?
6. Explain Newland's conflict in being asked to handle Ellen's divorce?
7. Describe how the van der Luydens show their power in New York society.
8. What legal case is Newland asked to handle in which he feels a conflict of interest?
9. How does Newland's sudden change of plans betray his feelings for Ellen?
10. What does Newland do after the awkward meeting with Ellen at Skuytercliff?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story takes place in the early 1870s in New York City. Explain why the story could not have taken place in any other setting--both time period and location.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of women in high society in the late Nineteenth Century? What is Newland's conflict between what he believes their role should be and behaving within the approved structure?
Essay Topic 3
Explain all the rumors surrounding Ellen. What indiscretions was she connected with before arriving in New York? What indiscretions does she commit while in New York?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)