|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Ellen when Newland finds her at the beginning of Chapter 15?
2. Of what action of Ellen's does Newland approve?
3. Who interrupts the conversation between Newland and Ellen?
4. Who is Newland Archer's fiancee?
5. What does Ellen tell Newland?
Short Essay Questions
1. On what issue does Newland ask May to violate social norms?
2. How does Newland maintain a flirtation with Ellen?
3. Describe how the van der Luydens show their power in New York society.
4. Describe the Beauforts and their place in New York society.
5. What does Ellen do to create some drama in her relationship with Newland?
6. What is the reason for the Wellands' annual trip to Florida?
7. What conflicting messages does Newland receive about Ellen's feelings for him in Chapter 15?
8. How does Ellen show her disdain for her husband?
9. Explain why Newland is both baffled and pleased by a visit to Ellen's home.
10. What is the opinion of Ellen held by the Archer family members?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Newland impulsively leave for Florida to join May's family? What has prompted him to make the decision? Is this decision typical of his nature?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Ellen run away to Skuytercliff? From what is she running away? Or is she hoping to find something?
Essay Topic 3
Explain all the rumors surrounding Ellen. What indiscretions was she connected with before arriving in New York? What indiscretions does she commit while in New York?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)