|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question does Ellen ask of Newland?
2. On what issue does Newland press May?
3. What does Newland ask Ellen?
4. What does Newland think of his fiancee, May Welland?
5. What does Ellen do when Newland asks her to stop the divorce petition?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting for the story and the first chapter in particular?
2. On what issue does Newland ask May to violate social norms?
3. Describe how the van der Luydens show their power in New York society.
4. How does Newland perceive his role as May's future husband?
5. What is the turning point of the book as exhibited in Chapter 19?
6. What convinces May that Newland really does want to marry her?
7. In what way does Newland show his growing fondness for Ellen?
8. How does Newland maintain a flirtation with Ellen?
9. What is the opinion of Ellen held by the Archer family members?
10. What conflicting messages does Newland receive about Ellen's feelings for him in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe May Welland. Why is she the perfect girl for Newland to marry?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Newland become a champion for Ellen? What does it say about her personality? What does it say about his?
Essay Topic 3
During the story, Newland sends flowers to both May and Ellen. What flowers does he send to May? What is their significance? What flowers does he send to Ellen? What is their significance?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)