Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Newland told when he arrives at Ellen's house?
2. Who hosts the event in Chapter 3?
3. What does the answer to #73 ask Newland?
4. What type of flowers does Newland send to Ellen that night?
5. How does May react to Newland's request?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Newland and Ellen agree to do while they are about to leave the art museum?
2. What ironic twist occurs just as Newland is about to admit his feelings for Ellen to May?
3. What legal case is Newland asked to handle in which he feels a conflict of interest?
4. How does Newland maintain a flirtation with Ellen?
5. Why does Newland visit Mrs. Mingott when he returns to New York?
6. How does Newland continue behavior that shows he is still obsessed with Ellen?
7. How does Newland perceive his role as May's future husband?
8. What is the setting for the story and the first chapter in particular?
9. What does Ellen decide about her divorce after discussing it with Newland?
10. What conflicting messages does Newland receive about Ellen's feelings for him in Chapter 15?
Essay Topic 1
What does Newland consider his role to be as May's new husband? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Newland think it is critical to announce his and May's engagement at the Beauforts' ball? What has happened to make the timing so critical? Does Ellen agree?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Newland's perception of May evolves as he has more exposure to Ellen. How does Newland come to view May during their honeymoon trip? Why?
This section contains 1,285 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)