Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Newland told when he arrives at Ellen's house?
2. Who hosts the event in Chapter 3?
3. What does the answer to #73 ask Newland?
4. What type of flowers does Newland send to Ellen that night?
5. How does May react to Newland's request?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Newland and Ellen agree to do while they are about to leave the art museum?
2. What ironic twist occurs just as Newland is about to admit his feelings for Ellen to May?
3. What legal case is Newland asked to handle in which he feels a conflict of interest?
4. How does Newland maintain a flirtation with Ellen?
5. Why does Newland visit Mrs. Mingott when he returns to New York?
6. How does Newland continue behavior that shows he is still obsessed with Ellen?
7. How does Newland perceive his role as May's future husband?
8. What is the setting for the story and the first chapter in particular?
9. What does Ellen decide about her divorce after discussing it with Newland?
10. What conflicting messages does Newland receive about Ellen's feelings for him in Chapter 15?
Essay Topic 1
What is the van der Lydens' role in New York society? Where do they fit on the class pyramid? Why do they wield so much power?
Essay Topic 2
During the story, Newland sends flowers to both May and Ellen. What flowers does he send to May? What is their significance? What flowers does he send to Ellen? What is their significance?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Newland impulsively leave for Florida to join May's family? What has prompted him to make the decision? Is this decision typical of his nature?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)