|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Newland spend the weekend?
2. What is the opera being produced as the story begins?
3. Where do Newland and May spend the first few days of their marriage?
4. What does Newland search for the next morning but cannot find?
5. Of what action of Ellen's does Newland approve?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is May hesitant about attending a dinner party while on the honeymoon trip in Europe?
2. On what issue does Newland ask May to violate social norms?
3. How does Newland maintain a flirtation with Ellen?
4. Explain the nature of Newland's growing disappointment with his new wife.
5. What is the news that finally thwarts Newland and Ellen's ever being together?
6. What is the opinion of Ellen held by the Archer family members?
7. How does Newland continue behavior that shows he is still obsessed with Ellen?
8. What conflicting messages does Newland receive about Ellen's feelings for him in Chapter 15?
9. What does Ellen decide about her divorce after discussing it with Newland?
10. How does Newland perceive his role as May's future husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Ellen's arrival into the scene so controversial? Why does she make the others so uncomfortable?
Essay Topic 2
The story takes place in the early 1870s in New York City. Explain why the story could not have taken place in any other setting--both time period and location.
Essay Topic 3
What is the van der Lydens' role in New York society? Where do they fit on the class pyramid? Why do they wield so much power?
This section contains 1,350 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)