|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ellen tell Newland?
2. What is the law firm's position on the divorce?
3. Who does Newland discover is visiting Ellen?
4. Who does Newland visit when he returns to New York?
5. Who hosts the event in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What convinces May that Newland really does want to marry her?
2. Who is Ellen Olenska?
3. Explain Newland's conflict in being asked to handle Ellen's divorce?
4. What issue does Newland bring up again when he sees May?
5. How does Newland's sudden change of plans betray his feelings for Ellen?
6. How does Newland maintain a flirtation with Ellen?
7. How does Ellen show her disdain for her husband?
8. What does Ellen do to create some drama in her relationship with Newland?
9. What conflicting messages does Newland receive about Ellen's feelings for him in Chapter 15?
10. How does Ellen exhibit unconventional behavior in public in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the van der Lydens' role in New York society? Where do they fit on the class pyramid? Why do they wield so much power?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Newland think it is critical to announce his and May's engagement at the Beauforts' ball? What has happened to make the timing so critical? Does Ellen agree?
Essay Topic 3
What does Newland consider his role to be as May's new husband? Why?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)