|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is a guest at Skuytercliff?
2. Why does Mrs. Mingott not leave her house?
3. In what city is Newland and May's wedding held?
4. Where does Newland go at the beginning of Chapter 12?
5. What is the event that occurs in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the turning point of the book as exhibited in Chapter 19?
2. Explain Newland's conflict in being asked to handle Ellen's divorce?
3. What does Ellen do to create some drama in her relationship with Newland?
4. How does Newland's sudden change of plans betray his feelings for Ellen?
5. What legal case is Newland asked to handle in which he feels a conflict of interest?
6. How does Newland maintain a flirtation with Ellen?
7. How are Newland's feelings for Ellen obvious despite his attempts at decorum?
8. Describe how the van der Luydens show their power in New York society.
9. How does Newland perceive his role as May's future husband?
10. How does Ellen show her disdain for her husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Ellen's arrival into the scene so controversial? Why does she make the others so uncomfortable?
Essay Topic 2
What is Mrs. Mingott's role in New York society? What are her eccentricities? Why does she wield so much power?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Newland choose not to visit Ellen at the end of the story? What is the significance of the blinds on Ellen's apartment shutting as Newland watches the window from below? What is Newland's mood as the story ends?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)