|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What else does Newland tell Ellen?
2. Who wants the divorce case to be dropped?
3. Who interrupts the conversation between Newland and Ellen?
4. Who hosts the event in Chapter 3?
5. Who does not attend Newland and May's wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conflicting messages does Newland receive about Ellen's feelings for him in Chapter 15?
2. What convinces May that Newland really does want to marry her?
3. Why does Newland visit Mrs. Mingott when he returns to New York?
4. What misgivings does Newland have regarding his marriage to May?
5. Explain Newland and May's betrothal visits.
6. How does Newland perceive his role as May's future husband?
7. How does the author indicate Ellen's feelings for Newland at this point?
8. Explain Newland's conflict in being asked to handle Ellen's divorce?
9. What does Ellen decide about her divorce after discussing it with Newland?
10. What is the reason for the Wellands' annual trip to Florida?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the story, Newland sends flowers to both May and Ellen. What flowers does he send to May? What is their significance? What flowers does he send to Ellen? What is their significance?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Newland impulsively leave for Florida to join May's family? What has prompted him to make the decision? Is this decision typical of his nature?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Newland become a champion for Ellen? What does it say about her personality? What does it say about his?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)