|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Newland consider his marriage to May to be?
2. What frustrates Newland about May?
3. Where is Ellen when Newland finds her at the beginning of Chapter 15?
4. What does Newland search for the next morning but cannot find?
5. What does Newland ask Mrs. Mingott to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What legal case is Newland asked to handle in which he feels a conflict of interest?
2. How does Newland's sudden change of plans betray his feelings for Ellen?
3. What is the turning point of the book as exhibited in Chapter 19?
4. How are Newland's feelings for Ellen obvious despite his attempts at decorum?
5. What is the opinion of Ellen held by the Archer family members?
6. In what way does Newland show his growing fondness for Ellen?
7. How do Newland and Ellen finally reveal their true feelings for each other?
8. Who is Ellen Olenska?
9. How does the author indicate Ellen's feelings for Newland at this point?
10. What conflicting messages does Newland receive about Ellen's feelings for him in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain all the rumors surrounding Ellen. What indiscretions was she connected with before arriving in New York? What indiscretions does she commit while in New York?
Essay Topic 2
What is Mrs. Mingott's role in New York society? What are her eccentricities? Why does she wield so much power?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Newland think it is critical to announce his and May's engagement at the Beauforts' ball? What has happened to make the timing so critical? Does Ellen agree?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)