|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are May's dinner conversation skills?
2. Where do Newland and May spend the summer following their wedding?
(a) The Keys
(b) Boca Raton
3. Who had visited Mrs. Mingott the night before to ask for help?
(a) Mrs. Welland
(b) Mrs. Astor
(c) Mrs. Beaufort
(d) Countess Olenska
4. Who does Mrs. Mingott send Newland to get?
5. What is Newland's real plan?
(a) To find Ellen
(b) To buy a hostess gift for Mrs. Welland
(c) To arrange a surprise party for May
(d) To order a new wardrobe
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years have passed since the last chapter?
2. Where does Newland pick up Ellen?
3. How does Newland travel to his destination?
4. How does Ellen react when Newland kisses her palm?
5. What does Newland tell May about his business trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony of Newland seeing Mr. Riviere when he returns to New York?
2. What topic of conversation do Newland and Ellen inevitably discuss?
3. How does the author show that Newland and May are settling into a boring, routine marriage.
4. What was Newland's plan for running away with Ellen?
5. What does Ellen tell Newland and how do they decide to spend the day in Boston?
6. What is Newland's plan in spite of a big going away party for Ellen?
7. How does Newland miss an opportunity to talk to Ellen while at Newport?
8. How is Ellen's unconventional behavior ultimately rationalized by friends and family?
9. Explain the nature of Newland's growing disappointment with his new wife.
10. What is the purpose of Newland's being summoned to see Mrs. Mingott?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)