|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Newland think of before he goes to sleep?
2. What does Newland begin to tell May when they return home?
(a) That she looks lovely in her new dress
(b) That he loves Ellen
(c) That he needs to find a new doctor
(d) That they need to host a dinner for the Beauforts
3. What does Newland find when he reaches the house where Ellen is staying?
(a) She is in bed with a migraine
(b) She will not see him
(c) She is at the beach for the afternoon
(d) She has gone to Boston on a business matter
4. What does Mrs. Mingott tell her visitor?
(a) She will be happy to help in any way she can
(b) She really does not have time to listen to her problems
(c) She will use her influence to keep the disgrace out of the press
(d) She married Mr. Beaufort and she must stick with him through his disgrace
5. To whom is Dallas engaged to be married?
(a) Mary van der Luyden
(b) Monica Astor
(c) Fanny Beaufort
(d) Sara Rockefeller
Short Answer Questions
1. How are May's dinner conversation skills?
2. What does Ellen tell Newland?
3. What does Ellen promise Newland?
4. What does Ellen ask of Newland?
5. What does Ellen's family now consider her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does May catch Newland in another deceit about his relationship with Ellen?
2. How do Newland and Ellen decide to manage their situation?
3. What is the suspected cause of Mrs. Mingott's stroke?
4. What does Ellen tell Newland and how do they decide to spend the day in Boston?
5. How is Ellen's unconventional behavior ultimately rationalized by friends and family?
6. What event occurs to alter Newland's Washington travel plans?
7. What happens when Newland picks up Ellen at the train station?
8. What deceitful behavior does Newland exhibit in Chapter 22?
9. What is Mr. Riviere's opinion about Ellen returning to her husband?
10. What do Newland and Ellen agree to do while they are about to leave the art museum?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)