|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who requests Newland to visit a few days later?
(a) Mrs. Beaufort
(b) Mrs. Mingott
(c) Mrs. van der Luyden
(d) Mrs. Welland
2. What is Newland's real plan?
(a) To arrange a surprise party for May
(b) To find Ellen
(c) To buy a hostess gift for Mrs. Welland
(d) To order a new wardrobe
3. Why does May not want to attend the event of #92?
(a) She has a migraine
(b) She is too tired
(c) She cannot get used to the time change
(d) She does not know what to wear or what to say
4. What does Newland find when he reaches the house where Ellen is staying?
(a) She is at the beach for the afternoon
(b) She has gone to Boston on a business matter
(c) She will not see him
(d) She is in bed with a migraine
5. What does Newland tell Ellen?
(a) He has started her divorce proceedings
(b) He had made plans to travel to Washington to see her
(c) He is leaving May
(d) He has bought another horse
Short Answer Questions
1. What secret thought does Newland keep during the dinner?
2. What was Newland's first vacation destination choice?
3. What is Newland's response to Ellen's statement about their relationship?
4. How does Ellen react when Newland kisses her palm?
5. What does Newland do after breakfast?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Newland miss an opportunity to talk to Ellen while at Newport?
2. How does the author show that Newland and May are settling into a boring, routine marriage.
3. How does Newland find Ellen in Boston?
4. How is Ellen's unconventional behavior ultimately rationalized by friends and family?
5. What is the irony of Newland seeing Mr. Riviere when he returns to New York?
6. How does Newland respond while traveling in Europe and receiving an invitation to visit Ellen at her home?
7. What is the purpose of Newland's being summoned to see Mrs. Mingott?
8. What topic of conversation do Newland and Ellen inevitably discuss?
9. What is the family's continuing perception of Ellen?
10. How do Newland and Ellen decide to manage their situation?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)