|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where has Ellen been living?
2. What do Newland and May do at the beginning of Chapter 24?
(a) Go to a museum
(b) Walk in the park
(c) Go to a matinee
(d) Have lunch
3. What is Mr. Riviere's belief about Ellen?
(a) She should return to the Count right away
(b) She is a manipulative woman
(c) She is too naive to be married to the Count
(d) She is better off without her husband
4. Where does Newland go at the beginning of Chapter 23?
(d) New York
5. What does Newland do after breakfast?
(a) Orders some new suits
(b) Buys a gift for May
(c) Does some sightseeing
(d) Sends a note to Ellen at her hotel
Short Answer Questions
1. How are May's dinner conversation skills?
2. What is Ellen instructed to do?
3. What new game does May enjoy playing?
4. What does Newland find when he reaches the house where Ellen is staying?
5. What does Newland understand after his conversation with Mrs. Mingott?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ellen tell Newland and how do they decide to spend the day in Boston?
2. What is the irony of Newland seeing Mr. Riviere when he returns to New York?
3. What is Mr. Riviere's opinion about Ellen returning to her husband?
4. How does Newland continue behavior that shows he is still obsessed with Ellen?
5. Why is May hesitant about attending a dinner party while on the honeymoon trip in Europe?
6. How does Newland miss an opportunity to talk to Ellen while at Newport?
7. What is Newland's plan in spite of a big going away party for Ellen?
8. What is the news that finally thwarts Newland and Ellen's ever being together?
9. How does Newland respond while traveling in Europe and receiving an invitation to visit Ellen at her home?
10. What is Newland's reaction when Ellen tells him they cannot run away together?
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)