|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does May tell Newland when he mentions Ellen?
(a) He and Ellen can rot
(b) Ellen would never hurt her
(c) Newland will come to his senses in time
(d) Ellen is returning to Europe
2. At whose home do Newland, May, Mrs. Archer, Janey and Mr. Jackson dine before going to the opera?
(a) The Beauforts' home
(b) The Carnegies' home
(c) The MacMillans' home
(d) The van der Luydens' home
3. What decision does Newland make?
(a) To divorce May
(b) To stop seeing Ellen
(c) To buy two horses
(d) To go to Boston the next day
4. Where do Newland and Ellen agree to meet the next day?
(a) The train station
(b) The Ritz
(c) The art museum in the park
(d) The Botanical Gardens
5. Who does Mrs. Mingott send Newland to get?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has Ellen been living?
2. What was Newland's first vacation destination choice?
3. What do Newland and Ellen agree to do?
4. Who does Newland run into when he returns to New York?
5. What does Newland do after breakfast?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two rumors about Julius Beaufort surface in Chapter 26?
2. What is Newland's plan in spite of a big going away party for Ellen?
3. What deceitful behavior does Newland exhibit in Chapter 22?
4. How does May catch Newland in another deceit about his relationship with Ellen?
5. How does Newland continue behavior that shows he is still obsessed with Ellen?
6. What was Newland's plan for running away with Ellen?
7. What is Newland's reaction when Ellen tells him they cannot run away together?
8. What is the news that finally thwarts Newland and Ellen's ever being together?
9. How does Newland miss an opportunity to talk to Ellen while at Newport?
10. What ironic twist occurs just as Newland is about to admit his feelings for Ellen to May?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)