|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Newland's secret plan?
(a) To alter Mrs. Mingott's will to exclude Ellen
(b) To have an affair with Ellen
(c) To leave the law firm
(d) Find out where Ellen plans to travel and go with her
2. Newland tells May that he will soon have to travel to ______________ for business.
3. Where do Newland and Ellen agree to meet the next day?
(a) The art museum in the park
(b) The train station
(c) The Botanical Gardens
(d) The Ritz
4. What is the source of Mrs. Mingott's illness?
(a) Her sister has just died
(b) The rumors about Julius Beaufort are true
(c) She has lost her fortune in a bad business deal
(d) Ellen has left without saying goodbye
5. What secret thought does Newland keep during the dinner?
(a) He is desperately unhappy now that Ellen is leaving
(b) He is content in his new home
(c) Nothing can prevent him from following Ellen to Europe
(d) He must have been mad to consider leaving May
Short Answer Questions
1. To what do people point to as the reason for Ellen's improper behavior?
2. Why does Ellen not pursue a relationship with Newland?
3. Where does Newland go after Ellen leaves?
4. What does Newland begin to tell May when they return home?
5. Newland learns that all New York society thinks he and ______________ are lovers.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of Newland's being summoned to see Mrs. Mingott?
2. What is the irony of Newland seeing Mr. Riviere when he returns to New York?
3. How does Newland once again raise May's suspicions about his intentions with Ellen?
4. What is the news that finally thwarts Newland and Ellen's ever being together?
5. How does the author show that Newland and May are settling into a boring, routine marriage.
6. What two rumors about Julius Beaufort surface in Chapter 26?
7. How does Newland continue behavior that shows he is still obsessed with Ellen?
8. Why is May hesitant about attending a dinner party while on the honeymoon trip in Europe?
9. How does Newland determine that he is kept out of many family discussions?
10. How does May catch Newland in another deceit about his relationship with Ellen?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)