|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What decision does Newland make regarding his travel plans?
(a) He changes them to a new date
(b) He cancels them
(c) He revises them to include May
(d) He decides to keep them
2. What does Ellen tell Newland?
(a) She is pregnant
(b) She is in love with someone new
(c) Her husband wants a divorce immediately
(d) Her husband has offered her money to return
3. Who requests Newland to visit a few days later?
(a) Mrs. Welland
(b) Mrs. Beaufort
(c) Mrs. Mingott
(d) Mrs. van der Luyden
4. What does Newland find when he reaches the house where Ellen is staying?
(a) She will not see him
(b) She is at the beach for the afternoon
(c) She is in bed with a migraine
(d) She has gone to Boston on a business matter
5. Which of the following is not a name of Newland and May's children?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ellen's family now consider her?
2. How does Ellen react when Newland kisses her palm?
3. About what do Newland and Ellen talk?
4. How are May's dinner conversation skills?
5. Newland tells May that he will soon have to travel to ______________ for business.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mr. Riviere's opinion about Ellen returning to her husband?
2. What is the irony of Newland seeing Mr. Riviere when he returns to New York?
3. How does May catch Newland in another deceit about his relationship with Ellen?
4. What deceitful behavior does Newland exhibit in Chapter 22?
5. What event occurs to alter Newland's Washington travel plans?
6. What two rumors about Julius Beaufort surface in Chapter 26?
7. What does Ellen tell Newland and how do they decide to spend the day in Boston?
8. How does Newland once again raise May's suspicions about his intentions with Ellen?
9. How does Newland miss an opportunity to talk to Ellen while at Newport?
10. What is the news that finally thwarts Newland and Ellen's ever being together?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)