|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Newland's frustration cause him to do?
(a) Begs Ellen to change her mind
(b) Begins to cry uncontrollably
(c) Slaps Ellen across the cheek
(d) Stops the carriage and gets out in the snow
2. What does Ellen promise Newland?
(a) She will not ask any more favors of Newland
(b) She will return to her husband
(c) She will not go back to her husband
(d) She will not say anything to May
3. What does Ellen tell Newland about their relationship?
(a) She will not have an affair with him and hurt May
(b) She wants to make her husband jealous
(c) She wants him no matter who gets hurt
(d) She is considering having an affair with him
4. What does Ellen ask of Newland?
(a) That they keep their relationship proper
(b) That he loan her some money
(c) That he help her get a divorce
(d) That he divorce May
5. Why does Mrs. Mingott want Ellen to stay in New York?
(a) To manage her household
(b) To find a new husband
(c) To get involved in the arts
(d) To help care for her
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Newland tell May about his business trip?
2. What does Ellen's family now consider her?
3. About what do Newland and Ellen talk?
4. What is Mr. Riviere's belief about Ellen?
5. At whose home do Newland, May, Mrs. Archer, Janey and Mr. Jackson dine before going to the opera?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the nature of Newland's growing disappointment with his new wife.
2. What was Newland's plan for running away with Ellen?
3. What is the news that finally thwarts Newland and Ellen's ever being together?
4. What event occurs to alter Newland's Washington travel plans?
5. How is Ellen's unconventional behavior ultimately rationalized by friends and family?
6. What is Mr. Riviere's opinion about Ellen returning to her husband?
7. What is the purpose of Newland's being summoned to see Mrs. Mingott?
8. What happens when Newland picks up Ellen at the train station?
9. How does Newland continue behavior that shows he is still obsessed with Ellen?
10. Why is May hesitant about attending a dinner party while on the honeymoon trip in Europe?
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)