|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who had visited Mrs. Mingott the night before to ask for help?
(a) Mrs. Welland
(b) Countess Olenska
(c) Mrs. Beaufort
(d) Mrs. Astor
2. What does Newland hear about the business trip the next day at the office?
(a) It has been cancelled
(b) The location has changed
(c) It has been postponed
(d) Newland no longer is required to attend
3. What decision does Newland make regarding his travel plans?
(a) He changes them to a new date
(b) He cancels them
(c) He decides to keep them
(d) He revises them to include May
4. Where do Newland and Ellen agree to meet the next day?
(a) The Ritz
(b) The train station
(c) The Botanical Gardens
(d) The art museum in the park
5. Why does May not want to attend the event of #92?
(a) She cannot get used to the time change
(b) She does not know what to wear or what to say
(c) She has a migraine
(d) She is too tired
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprising news does May have for Newland?
2. What does Newland's frustration cause him to do?
3. Who does Mr. Jackson insinuate has been supporting Ellen?
4. Why is Newland excluded from many family conversations?
5. What is Mr. Riviere's belief about Ellen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Newland's plan for running away with Ellen?
2. How does Newland determine that he is kept out of many family discussions?
3. How do Newland and Ellen decide to manage their situation?
4. How does the author show that Newland and May are settling into a boring, routine marriage.
5. How does May catch Newland in another deceit about his relationship with Ellen?
6. What is Newland's plan in spite of a big going away party for Ellen?
7. What is the suspected cause of Mrs. Mingott's stroke?
8. What is the irony of Newland seeing Mr. Riviere when he returns to New York?
9. What do Newland and Ellen agree to do while they are about to leave the art museum?
10. What topic of conversation do Newland and Ellen inevitably discuss?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)