|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where have the Wellands gone at the beginning of Chapter 22?
(a) To a luncheon
(b) To church
(c) To the opera
(d) To the beach
2. What does Ellen tell Newland about their relationship?
(a) She is considering having an affair with him
(b) She will not have an affair with him and hurt May
(c) She wants him no matter who gets hurt
(d) She wants to make her husband jealous
3. What does Ellen tell Newland?
(a) She is pregnant
(b) Her husband wants a divorce immediately
(c) Her husband has offered her money to return
(d) She is in love with someone new
4. What is Newland's response to Ellen's statement about their relationship?
(a) He cannot understand why she feels the way she does
(b) He wants to go far away so they can be together
(c) He understands but is heartbroken
(d) He is instantly angry
5. What does Mr. Riviere tell Newland?
(a) He has theater tickets for him
(b) He has an opera box for him
(c) His finances are in dire need of attention
(d) The Count wants her to return
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Newland plan to inform May of his plan?
2. What does Newland's frustration cause him to do?
3. What does Mrs. Mingott ask of Newland?
4. How does Ellen react when Newland kisses her palm?
5. What surprising news does May have for Newland?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of Newland's being summoned to see Mrs. Mingott?
2. How is Ellen's unconventional behavior ultimately rationalized by friends and family?
3. What deceitful behavior does Newland exhibit in Chapter 22?
4. What happens when Newland picks up Ellen at the train station?
5. What is the news that finally thwarts Newland and Ellen's ever being together?
6. What is Newland's plan in spite of a big going away party for Ellen?
7. What is the irony of Newland seeing Mr. Riviere when he returns to New York?
8. What is Newland's reaction when Ellen tells him they cannot run away together?
9. What is the state of Newland and May's marriage and family twenty-five-years after Ellen returns to Europe?
10. What does Ellen tell Newland and how do they decide to spend the day in Boston?
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)