|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does May not want to attend the event of #92?
(a) She is too tired
(b) She cannot get used to the time change
(c) She has a migraine
(d) She does not know what to wear or what to say
2. What does Newland hear about the business trip the next day at the office?
(a) It has been cancelled
(b) It has been postponed
(c) Newland no longer is required to attend
(d) The location has changed
3. What does Newland understand after his conversation with Mrs. Mingott?
(a) He does not want to get that old
(b) He is purposely excluded from conversations about Ellen
(c) He thinks she is losing her sanity
(d) He will be the main benefactor in her will
4. What is the content of a message Newland receives from May?
(a) Mrs. Mingott had a stroke
(b) She wants him to make dinner reservations
(c) She has broken her leg
(d) The maid just quit
5. What does Mrs. Mingott tell her visitor?
(a) She will use her influence to keep the disgrace out of the press
(b) She really does not have time to listen to her problems
(c) She will be happy to help in any way she can
(d) She married Mr. Beaufort and she must stick with him through his disgrace
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had visited Mrs. Mingott the night before to ask for help?
2. Where do Newland and May go on their honeymoon trip?
3. With whom does Newland take a trip to Europe?
4. Where has Ellen been living?
5. What does Newland discover during the honeymoon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the news that finally thwarts Newland and Ellen's ever being together?
2. What does Ellen tell Newland and how do they decide to spend the day in Boston?
3. How does Newland respond while traveling in Europe and receiving an invitation to visit Ellen at her home?
4. How does Newland miss an opportunity to talk to Ellen while at Newport?
5. How does May catch Newland in another deceit about his relationship with Ellen?
6. What happens when Newland picks up Ellen at the train station?
7. What was Newland's plan for running away with Ellen?
8. How does Newland continue behavior that shows he is still obsessed with Ellen?
9. What two rumors about Julius Beaufort surface in Chapter 26?
10. What is the state of Newland and May's marriage and family twenty-five-years after Ellen returns to Europe?
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)