|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Newland take a trip to Europe?
(a) Mr. van der Luyden
(c) Mrs. Archer
2. Where does Newland go at the beginning of Chapter 23?
(d) New York
3. What is the content of a message Newland receives from May?
(a) The maid just quit
(b) She wants him to make dinner reservations
(c) She has broken her leg
(d) Mrs. Mingott had a stroke
4. What does Newland find when he reaches the house where Ellen is staying?
(a) She will not see him
(b) She has gone to Boston on a business matter
(c) She is at the beach for the afternoon
(d) She is in bed with a migraine
5. What does Newland begin to tell May when they return home?
(a) That he needs to find a new doctor
(b) That they need to host a dinner for the Beauforts
(c) That she looks lovely in her new dress
(d) That he loves Ellen
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Newland run into when he returns to New York?
2. What does Newland tell May after the party?
3. Who is Mr. Riviere?
4. Who had visited Mrs. Mingott the night before to ask for help?
5. What does Newland not understand about Ellen's behavior?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Newland and Ellen agree to do while they are about to leave the art museum?
2. What two rumors about Julius Beaufort surface in Chapter 26?
3. What does Ellen tell Newland and how do they decide to spend the day in Boston?
4. What is the family's continuing perception of Ellen?
5. What is Newland's plan in spite of a big going away party for Ellen?
6. How do Newland and Ellen decide to manage their situation?
7. How does Newland find Ellen in Boston?
8. What is the suspected cause of Mrs. Mingott's stroke?
9. How does May catch Newland in another deceit about his relationship with Ellen?
10. How is Ellen's unconventional behavior ultimately rationalized by friends and family?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)