|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what have Newland and May been invited?
(a) A dinner party
(b) The races
(c) The theater
(d) The opera
2. What does Newland discover during the honeymoon?
(a) He is madly in love with his new wife
(b) He wants the marriage annulled
(c) He is disappointed in May
(d) He has to get used to being married
3. What does Newland understand after his conversation with Mrs. Mingott?
(a) He will be the main benefactor in her will
(b) He is purposely excluded from conversations about Ellen
(c) He does not want to get that old
(d) He thinks she is losing her sanity
4. What does Ellen promise Newland?
(a) She will not say anything to May
(b) She will not go back to her husband
(c) She will return to her husband
(d) She will not ask any more favors of Newland
5. What is Newland's real plan?
(a) To find Ellen
(b) To arrange a surprise party for May
(c) To order a new wardrobe
(d) To buy a hostess gift for Mrs. Welland
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Mingott know that Newland is on her side?
2. What does Mr. Riviere tell Newland?
3. What does Newland convince Ellen to do?
4. What does Newland tell May about his business trip?
5. What does Ellen ask of Newland?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Newland miss an opportunity to talk to Ellen while at Newport?
2. How does Newland find Ellen in Boston?
3. Why is May hesitant about attending a dinner party while on the honeymoon trip in Europe?
4. What ironic twist occurs just as Newland is about to admit his feelings for Ellen to May?
5. What topic of conversation do Newland and Ellen inevitably discuss?
6. What is the suspected cause of Mrs. Mingott's stroke?
7. How is Ellen's unconventional behavior ultimately rationalized by friends and family?
8. How does the author show that Newland and May are settling into a boring, routine marriage.
9. How does Newland continue behavior that shows he is still obsessed with Ellen?
10. How do Newland and Ellen decide to manage their situation?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)