|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Newland's response to Ellen's statement about their relationship?
(a) He cannot understand why she feels the way she does
(b) He wants to go far away so they can be together
(c) He understands but is heartbroken
(d) He is instantly angry
2. Newland learns that all New York society thinks he and ______________ are lovers.
(a) Ellen Olenska
(b) Mrs. van der Luyden
(c) Elaine Carnegie
(d) Sara Rockefeller
3. Why does May not want to attend the event of #92?
(a) She does not know what to wear or what to say
(b) She is too tired
(c) She cannot get used to the time change
(d) She has a migraine
4. What secret thought does Newland keep during the dinner?
(a) Nothing can prevent him from following Ellen to Europe
(b) He must have been mad to consider leaving May
(c) He is desperately unhappy now that Ellen is leaving
(d) He is content in his new home
5. In what city is the event of #92?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the source of Mrs. Mingott's illness?
2. Who had visited Mrs. Mingott the night before to ask for help?
3. Ellen did not announce her intention to return to Europe until ________________________.
4. How many years have passed since the last chapter?
5. What do Newland and Ellen agree to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Newland respond while traveling in Europe and receiving an invitation to visit Ellen at her home?
2. How do Newland and Ellen decide to manage their situation?
3. What is Newland's plan in spite of a big going away party for Ellen?
4. What two rumors about Julius Beaufort surface in Chapter 26?
5. What is the state of Newland and May's marriage and family twenty-five-years after Ellen returns to Europe?
6. What is the purpose of Newland's being summoned to see Mrs. Mingott?
7. What happens when Newland picks up Ellen at the train station?
8. How does Newland find Ellen in Boston?
9. Why is May hesitant about attending a dinner party while on the honeymoon trip in Europe?
10. What does Ellen tell Newland and how do they decide to spend the day in Boston?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)