|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who requests Newland to visit a few days later?
(a) Mrs. Welland
(b) Mrs. van der Luyden
(c) Mrs. Beaufort
(d) Mrs. Mingott
2. What is Mr. Riviere's belief about Ellen?
(a) She is too naive to be married to the Count
(b) She is a manipulative woman
(c) She is better off without her husband
(d) She should return to the Count right away
3. What does Ellen tell Newland about their relationship?
(a) She wants to make her husband jealous
(b) She wants him no matter who gets hurt
(c) She will not have an affair with him and hurt May
(d) She is considering having an affair with him
4. What do Newland and May do at the beginning of Chapter 24?
(a) Have lunch
(b) Go to a matinee
(c) Walk in the park
(d) Go to a museum
5. Why does Mrs. Mingott know that Newland is on her side?
(a) His name is never mentioned in the family arguments
(b) They are the only ones in the family with any business sense
(c) He has always been extra attentive to her
(d) They are both conservative Republicans
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Newland's response to Ellen's statement about their relationship?
2. How did May die?
3. Where do Newland and Ellen agree to meet the next day?
4. Who does Mrs. Mingott send Newland to get?
5. What surprising news does May have for Newland?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Newland determine that he is kept out of many family discussions?
2. What event occurs to alter Newland's Washington travel plans?
3. What is Newland's plan in spite of a big going away party for Ellen?
4. What does Ellen tell Newland and how do they decide to spend the day in Boston?
5. What is the suspected cause of Mrs. Mingott's stroke?
6. How does Newland continue behavior that shows he is still obsessed with Ellen?
7. What happens when Newland picks up Ellen at the train station?
8. What was Newland's plan for running away with Ellen?
9. What is Mr. Riviere's opinion about Ellen returning to her husband?
10. What topic of conversation do Newland and Ellen inevitably discuss?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)