|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Newland and May do at the beginning of Chapter 24?
(a) Go to a matinee
(b) Go to a museum
(c) Walk in the park
(d) Have lunch
2. What does Newland not understand about Ellen's behavior?
(a) She is wearing extremely provocative clothing
(b) She is learning to speak Spanish
(c) She is staying in New York despite the fact that Mrs. Mingott is better
(d) She is starting divorce proceedings again
3. Where is Newland surprised to see Ellen?
(a) At the hotel gift shop
(b) In a cafe
(c) Sitting on a bench
(d) At the train station
4. What is the topic of conversation at dinner?
(a) The new theater season
(b) The Beaufort bankruptcy and Ellen
(c) The stock market crash
(d) The Easter Parade
5. What is Mr. Riviere's belief about Ellen?
(a) She is better off without her husband
(b) She is too naive to be married to the Count
(c) She is a manipulative woman
(d) She should return to the Count right away
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the occasion of the first big event hosted at Newland and May's home?
2. How does Newland travel to his destination?
3. What does Newland reason is the only way Ellen would return to her husband?
4. What does Newland tell May after the party?
5. Why does Ellen not pursue a relationship with Newland?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Newland continue behavior that shows he is still obsessed with Ellen?
2. What ironic twist occurs just as Newland is about to admit his feelings for Ellen to May?
3. What is the family's continuing perception of Ellen?
4. What deceitful behavior does Newland exhibit in Chapter 22?
5. What happens when Newland picks up Ellen at the train station?
6. What two rumors about Julius Beaufort surface in Chapter 26?
7. What is Newland's reaction when Ellen tells him they cannot run away together?
8. What is the irony of Newland seeing Mr. Riviere when he returns to New York?
9. How does Newland find Ellen in Boston?
10. What is the news that finally thwarts Newland and Ellen's ever being together?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)