|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Newland go after Ellen leaves?
(a) The natural history museum
(b) The matinee
(c) The train station
(d) The library
2. How does Newland travel to his destination?
3. What is the content of a message Newland receives from May?
(a) She has broken her leg
(b) Mrs. Mingott had a stroke
(c) The maid just quit
(d) She wants him to make dinner reservations
4. With whom does Newland take a trip to Europe?
(a) Mr. van der Luyden
(c) Mrs. Archer
5. Where do Newland and Ellen agree to meet the next day?
(a) The Botanical Gardens
(b) The train station
(c) The art museum in the park
(d) The Ritz
Short Answer Questions
1. To what have Newland and May been invited?
2. What does Ellen's family now consider her?
3. What does Mrs. Mingott tell her visitor?
4. What does Newland begin to tell May when they return home?
5. Where do Newland and May spend the summer following their wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Newland's plan for running away with Ellen?
2. What do Newland and Ellen agree to do while they are about to leave the art museum?
3. How does May catch Newland in another deceit about his relationship with Ellen?
4. What deceitful behavior does Newland exhibit in Chapter 22?
5. What two rumors about Julius Beaufort surface in Chapter 26?
6. What does Ellen tell Newland and how do they decide to spend the day in Boston?
7. What is the news that finally thwarts Newland and Ellen's ever being together?
8. How is Ellen's unconventional behavior ultimately rationalized by friends and family?
9. What is the purpose of Newland's being summoned to see Mrs. Mingott?
10. What is the suspected cause of Mrs. Mingott's stroke?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)