|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Newland and May do at the beginning of Chapter 24?
(a) Go to a museum
(b) Go to a matinee
(c) Walk in the park
(d) Have lunch
2. Where does Newland go at the beginning of Chapter 23?
(c) New York
3. Who does Mr. Jackson insinuate has been supporting Ellen?
(b) Julius Beaufort
(c) Mr. van der Luyden
(d) Mr. Welland
4. To what have Newland and May been invited?
(a) The opera
(b) The races
(c) The theater
(d) A dinner party
5. Where will Ellen's train arrive?
(a) Jersey City
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Newland find when he reaches the house where Ellen is staying?
2. Who had visited Mrs. Mingott the night before to ask for help?
3. In what city is the event of #92?
4. What is Newland's decision about the horse?
5. What does Newland do after breakfast?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two rumors about Julius Beaufort surface in Chapter 26?
2. What do Newland and Ellen agree to do while they are about to leave the art museum?
3. What was Newland's plan for running away with Ellen?
4. What is the state of Newland and May's marriage and family twenty-five-years after Ellen returns to Europe?
5. What is the purpose of Newland's being summoned to see Mrs. Mingott?
6. How does Newland find Ellen in Boston?
7. What is the news that finally thwarts Newland and Ellen's ever being together?
8. How does May catch Newland in another deceit about his relationship with Ellen?
9. How does Newland miss an opportunity to talk to Ellen while at Newport?
10. What ironic twist occurs just as Newland is about to admit his feelings for Ellen to May?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)