|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who requests Newland to visit a few days later?
(a) Mrs. van der Luyden
(b) Mrs. Mingott
(c) Mrs. Beaufort
(d) Mrs. Welland
2. Where do Newland and May spend the summer following their wedding?
(a) Boca Raton
(d) The Keys
3. What is the topic of conversation at dinner?
(a) The new theater season
(b) The Beaufort bankruptcy and Ellen
(c) The Easter Parade
(d) The stock market crash
4. What new game does May enjoy playing?
5. Where does Newland pick up Ellen?
(a) The Ritz
(b) The bus terminal
(c) The train station
(d) The Botanical Gardens
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the occasion of the first big event hosted at Newland and May's home?
2. What does Ellen tell Newland?
3. Who is it rumored will soon lose all his money?
4. What does Ellen's family now consider her?
5. What is Newland's secret plan?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Newland and Ellen decide to manage their situation?
2. What topic of conversation do Newland and Ellen inevitably discuss?
3. How does Newland once again raise May's suspicions about his intentions with Ellen?
4. What is Mr. Riviere's opinion about Ellen returning to her husband?
5. How does the author show that Newland and May are settling into a boring, routine marriage.
6. What is the irony of Newland seeing Mr. Riviere when he returns to New York?
7. What is the family's continuing perception of Ellen?
8. What is Newland's reaction when Ellen tells him they cannot run away together?
9. How does Newland determine that he is kept out of many family discussions?
10. What deceitful behavior does Newland exhibit in Chapter 22?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)