|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ellen tell Newland about their relationship?
(a) She wants to make her husband jealous
(b) She will not have an affair with him and hurt May
(c) She is considering having an affair with him
(d) She wants him no matter who gets hurt
2. About what do Newland and Ellen talk?
(a) Mrs. Mingott's fortune
(b) Newland's new horse
(c) What has happened since they last met
(d) Newland and May's wedding
3. What mutual confession do Newland and Ellen make?
(a) They both enjoy French cuisine
(b) They both hate vacationing in Newport
(c) They both love horse racing
(d) They have been miserable without each other
4. How did May die?
(a) A car accident
(b) Nursing Bill during a bout of pneumonia
(c) Diabetic complications
(d) A heart attack
5. What does May tell Newland when he mentions Ellen?
(a) He and Ellen can rot
(b) Ellen would never hurt her
(c) Newland will come to his senses in time
(d) Ellen is returning to Europe
Short Answer Questions
1. Who offers to pick Ellen up at the station?
2. Where is Newland surprised to see Ellen?
3. To what do people point to as the reason for Ellen's improper behavior?
4. How many years have passed since the last chapter?
5. Newland learns that all New York society thinks he and ______________ are lovers.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Newland respond while traveling in Europe and receiving an invitation to visit Ellen at her home?
2. How does Newland determine that he is kept out of many family discussions?
3. How do Newland and Ellen decide to manage their situation?
4. What deceitful behavior does Newland exhibit in Chapter 22?
5. Explain the nature of Newland's growing disappointment with his new wife.
6. What is Mr. Riviere's opinion about Ellen returning to her husband?
7. What two rumors about Julius Beaufort surface in Chapter 26?
8. What is the purpose of Newland's being summoned to see Mrs. Mingott?
9. What was Newland's plan for running away with Ellen?
10. How does Newland continue behavior that shows he is still obsessed with Ellen?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)