|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does May suspect about Newland?
(a) That he is still in love with another woman
(b) That he is gay
(c) That he is having second thoughts about marrying her
(d) That he is having financial problems
2. Who does Newland see on his way out of Mrs. Mingott's house?
(a) Mrs. van der Luyden
(b) Ellen Olenska
(c) Regina Beaufort
(d) Mrs. Welland
3. What is Skuytercliff?
(a) A resort area
(b) The van der Luyden's country estate
(c) Julius Beaufort's yacht
(d) The Welland family estate
4. What is the event that occurs in Chapter 3?
(a) The Christmas Bazaar
(b) Annual Beaufort Ball
(c) The Easter Parade
(d) The Nutcracker Ballet
5. What do Newland and May do at the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) Go to the theater
(b) Plan their honeymoon
(c) Take a walk in the park
(d) Take dancing lessons
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Newland send to Ellen?
2. Where does Newland go the next evening?
3. What does Newland ask Mrs. Mingott to do?
4. What does Ellen tell Newland?
5. What is Newland told when he arrives at Ellen's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Beauforts and their place in New York society.
2. Who is Ellen Olenska?
3. What misgivings does Newland have regarding his marriage to May?
4. How does Newland's sudden change of plans betray his feelings for Ellen?
5. How does Newland perceive his role as May's future husband?
6. Explain why Newland is both baffled and pleased by a visit to Ellen's home.
7. How does Newland maintain a flirtation with Ellen?
8. Describe how the van der Luydens show their power in New York society.
9. What is the reason for the Wellands' annual trip to Florida?
10. What does Ellen do to create some drama in her relationship with Newland?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)