|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Newland ask Mrs. Mingott to do?
(a) Convince the family to allow Ellen to divorce her husband
(b) Give him advice about Ellen
(c) Host a party for the Wellands
(d) Convince the Wellands to let Newland and May marry soon
2. Who interrupts the conversation between Newland and Ellen?
(a) The maid
(b) Regina Beaufort
(c) The Duke of St. Austrey
(d) May Welland
3. How does Ellen Olenska appear to Newland when he sees her at a dinner party?
(a) Much younger than she looked before
(b) Pale and older than her age
(c) Tired and drawn
(d) Tan and energetic
4. What type of people live in the area where Ellen lives?
(a) Writers and artists
(b) Black people
(c) Hispanic people
(d) Wealthy people
5. What does Newland pressure May to do?
(a) Elope as soon as possible
(b) Reduce the size of the wedding
(c) Convince her parents to let them marry soon
(d) Return to New York with him
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Newland spend the weekend?
2. What does May ask Newland?
3. What frustrates Newland about May?
4. Who do Newland and May visit first on their betrothal visits?
5. What does Ellen tell Newland?
Short Essay Questions
1. What issue does Newland bring up again when he sees May?
2. How does Newland maintain a flirtation with Ellen?
3. What legal case is Newland asked to handle in which he feels a conflict of interest?
4. What is the opinion of Ellen held by the Archer family members?
5. Who is Ellen Olenska?
6. How do Newland and Ellen finally reveal their true feelings for each other?
7. Explain Newland and May's betrothal visits.
8. What does Ellen decide about her divorce after discussing it with Newland?
9. How does Ellen show her disdain for her husband?
10. What is the setting for the story and the first chapter in particular?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)