|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Newland told when he arrives at Ellen's house?
(a) She went to the theater
(b) She is out and will return soon
(c) She has another visitor
(d) She is ill
2. What does Ellen do when Newland asks her to stop the divorce petition?
(a) She storms out of the room
(b) She asks Newland to leave
(c) She abruptly agrees with him
(d) She says she will hire a different attorney
3. Where does Newland go at the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) His club
(b) The theater
(c) The opera
(d) Ellen's house
4. Where does Newland go the next evening?
(a) The Oak Room
(b) The opera
(c) Ellen Olenska's house
(d) His gentleman's club
5. Who does Newland discover is visiting Ellen?
(a) Mr. Beaufort
(b) Mr. Astor
(c) Mr. MacKenzie
(d) Mr. Welland
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Newland see on his way out of Mrs. Mingott's house?
2. Who is the main character who arrives late at the opera?
3. What is the event of the season?
4. What is Newland pleasantly surprised to find out about Ellen?
5. What does Newland pressure May to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reason for the Wellands' annual trip to Florida?
2. How does Newland feel about Ellen's rumored involvement with her husband's secretary?
3. What does Ellen decide about her divorce after discussing it with Newland?
4. Explain Newland and May's betrothal visits.
5. What legal case is Newland asked to handle in which he feels a conflict of interest?
6. In what way does Newland show his growing fondness for Ellen?
7. How are Newland's feelings for Ellen obvious despite his attempts at decorum?
8. Describe how the van der Luydens show their power in New York society.
9. What convinces May that Newland really does want to marry her?
10. What does Newland do after the awkward meeting with Ellen at Skuytercliff?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)