|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ellen's aunt tells her that someone has sent her ______________________.
(a) theater tickets
(b) a bouquet
(c) a necklace
(d) a new hat
2. Who had sent the object in #79?
(a) Julius Beaufort
(b) Newland Archer
(c) Mr. van der Luyden
(d) Count Oleska
3. Who is a guest at Skuytercliff?
(a) Mrs. Mingott
4. In what city is Newland and May's wedding held?
(a) Boca Raton
(c) New York
5. What is the general consensus about Countess Olenska?
(a) She is extremely beautiful
(b) She is a welcome change of pace
(c) She is a valuable fundraiser
(d) She is an undesirable person
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the opera being produced as the story begins?
2. Where is Newland sitting at the beginning of Chapter 13?
3. What surprises Newland when he arrives at Ellen's the next evening?
4. Where does Newland go the next evening?
5. What social impropriety does Ellen commit at the dinner party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Newland visit Mrs. Mingott when he returns to New York?
2. What is the turning point of the book as exhibited in Chapter 19?
3. How does the author indicate Ellen's feelings for Newland at this point?
4. How does Newland maintain a flirtation with Ellen?
5. Explain Newland's conflict in being asked to handle Ellen's divorce?
6. What is the opinion of Ellen held by the Archer family members?
7. How are Newland's feelings for Ellen obvious despite his attempts at decorum?
8. What issue does Newland bring up again when he sees May?
9. How does Ellen exhibit unconventional behavior in public in Chapter 8?
10. In what way does Newland show his growing fondness for Ellen?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)