|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Newland told when he arrives at Ellen's house?
(a) She is out and will return soon
(b) She has another visitor
(c) She went to the theater
(d) She is ill
2. Who hosts the event in Chapter 3?
(a) Mrs. Archer
(b) Julius and Regina Beaufort
(c) Countess Ellen Olenska
(d) Mrs. Manson Mingott
3. What does the answer to #73 ask Newland?
(a) What are his career goals
(b) Where he proposed to May
(c) Why he did not marry Ellen
(d) Where he and May will live
4. What type of flowers does Newland send to Ellen that night?
(a) Lilies of the Valley
5. How does May react to Newland's request?
(a) She is shocked
(b) She is really happy
(c) She is depressed
(d) She is reluctant
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Newland do when he sees that Ellen already has a visitor?
2. What is the law firm's position on the divorce?
3. What is the opera being produced as the story begins?
4. On what issue does Newland press May?
5. What does Newland tell May?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Newland and Ellen agree to do while they are about to leave the art museum?
2. What ironic twist occurs just as Newland is about to admit his feelings for Ellen to May?
3. What legal case is Newland asked to handle in which he feels a conflict of interest?
4. How does Newland maintain a flirtation with Ellen?
5. Why does Newland visit Mrs. Mingott when he returns to New York?
6. How does Newland continue behavior that shows he is still obsessed with Ellen?
7. How does Newland perceive his role as May's future husband?
8. What is the setting for the story and the first chapter in particular?
9. What does Ellen decide about her divorce after discussing it with Newland?
10. What conflicting messages does Newland receive about Ellen's feelings for him in Chapter 15?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)