|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Newland spend the weekend?
(a) The Welland vacation home
(b) The Beauforts' estate
(d) The Reggies' estate
2. Which controversial Mingott family member arrives at the opera?
(a) May Mingott
(b) Countess Ellen Olenska
(c) Ellen van der Luyden
(d) Janey Welland
3. Who does Newland discover is visiting Ellen?
(a) Mr. Welland
(b) Mr. Astor
(c) Mr. Beaufort
(d) Mr. MacKenzie
4. What is the general consensus about Countess Olenska?
(a) She is a valuable fundraiser
(b) She is an undesirable person
(c) She is a welcome change of pace
(d) She is extremely beautiful
5. What is the event of the season?
(a) Newland and May's wedding
(b) Elaine Astor's wedding
(c) The Beaufort's ball
(d) The van der Luyden's ball
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ellen say she will gain through the divorce?
2. Chapter 19 marks the beginning of _____________________.
3. Where does Newland go the next evening?
4. Ellen's aunt tells her that someone has sent her ______________________.
5. What social impropriety does Ellen commit at the dinner party?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author indicate Ellen's feelings for Newland at this point?
2. What misgivings does Newland have regarding his marriage to May?
3. What legal case is Newland asked to handle in which he feels a conflict of interest?
4. What is the reason for the Wellands' annual trip to Florida?
5. Describe how the van der Luydens show their power in New York society.
6. What conflicting messages does Newland receive about Ellen's feelings for him in Chapter 15?
7. In what way does Newland show his growing fondness for Ellen?
8. How does Newland perceive his role as May's future husband?
9. Who is Ellen Olenska?
10. Explain why Newland is both baffled and pleased by a visit to Ellen's home.
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)