|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who hosts the event in Chapter 3?
(a) Mrs. Manson Mingott
(b) Countess Ellen Olenska
(c) Mrs. Archer
(d) Julius and Regina Beaufort
2. What does the telegram say?
(a) The Wellands are returning from their vacation earlier than expected
(b) The Wellands have agreed to let May marry Newland soon
(c) The Wellands have invited Ellen to visit them in Florida
(d) The Wellands want May to break her engagement to Newland
3. Why does Mrs. Mingott not leave her house?
(a) She is paralyzed
(b) She is blind
(c) She is too obese
(d) She is a hermit
4. Ellen sends Newland a note saying that she "ran away" to "______________________."
(a) get a tan
(b) meditate and write
(c) read some books
(d) think things over
5. In what decade does this story begin?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Newland and Mrs. Archer visit in Chapter 7?
2. Why is Ellen's family pleased with Newland?
3. What social impropriety does Ellen commit at the dinner party?
4. What does Newland send to Ellen?
5. Who wants the divorce case to be dropped?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the opinion of Ellen held by the Archer family members?
2. Explain why Newland is both baffled and pleased by a visit to Ellen's home.
3. What convinces May that Newland really does want to marry her?
4. How do Newland and Ellen finally reveal their true feelings for each other?
5. In what way does Newland show his growing fondness for Ellen?
6. What issue does Newland bring up again when he sees May?
7. What is the setting for the story and the first chapter in particular?
8. How does Newland perceive his role as May's future husband?
9. How does Newland maintain a flirtation with Ellen?
10. Why does Newland visit Mrs. Mingott when he returns to New York?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)