|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Ellen's family pleased with Newland?
(a) He has convinced Ellen to drop the divorce
(b) He helped Ellen with her finances
(c) He sends flowers to Ellen
(d) He helped Ellen find a house
2. Where do the Wellands go on their annual vacation?
(a) The Bahamas
3. Who is Newland Archer's fiancee?
(a) Ellen Olenska
(b) May Welland
(c) Janey Welland
(d) Elaine van der Luyden
4. What is the opera being produced as the story begins?
(b) Madame Butterfly
5. Where does Newland go at the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) His club
(b) The opera
(c) The theater
(d) Ellen's house
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Newland ask Mrs. Mingott to do?
2. What does Newland search for the next morning but cannot find?
3. For what reason does Newland approve of the divorce?
4. Which controversial Mingott family member arrives at the opera?
5. What does Newland pressure May to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What issue does Newland bring up again when he sees May?
2. Why does Newland visit Mrs. Mingott when he returns to New York?
3. What convinces May that Newland really does want to marry her?
4. What legal case is Newland asked to handle in which he feels a conflict of interest?
5. What is the setting for the story and the first chapter in particular?
6. Explain Newland and May's betrothal visits.
7. What does Newland do after the awkward meeting with Ellen at Skuytercliff?
8. Explain why Newland is both baffled and pleased by a visit to Ellen's home.
9. How do Newland and Ellen finally reveal their true feelings for each other?
10. In what way does Newland show his growing fondness for Ellen?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)