|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of flowers does Newland send to Ellen that night?
(a) Lilies of the Valley
2. Which controversial Mingott family member arrives at the opera?
(a) May Mingott
(b) Ellen van der Luyden
(c) Janey Welland
(d) Countess Ellen Olenska
3. What is the law firm's position on the divorce?
(a) The request should be cancelled
(b) They have a conflict of interest
(c) They will not make any money on it
(d) It is a presitigious case
4. What does Newland send to Ellen?
(a) A note
(b) Pink roses
(c) Theater tickets
5. Who interrupts the conversation between Newland and Ellen?
(a) Regina Beaufort
(b) May Welland
(c) The maid
(d) The Duke of St. Austrey
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Newland spend the weekend?
2. Who is a guest at Skuytercliff?
3. What does Newland consider his job to be regarding May?
4. What does Newland consider his marriage to May to be?
5. Ellen sends Newland a note saying that she "ran away" to "______________________."
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Newland and Ellen finally reveal their true feelings for each other?
2. Describe how the van der Luydens show their power in New York society.
3. How does Newland feel about Ellen's rumored involvement with her husband's secretary?
4. What does Ellen decide about her divorce after discussing it with Newland?
5. How does Newland's sudden change of plans betray his feelings for Ellen?
6. What is the reason for the Wellands' annual trip to Florida?
7. What does Ellen do to create some drama in her relationship with Newland?
8. What does Newland do after the awkward meeting with Ellen at Skuytercliff?
9. Describe the Beauforts and their place in New York society.
10. What misgivings does Newland have regarding his marriage to May?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)