|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what decade does this story begin?
2. Who is Newland Archer's fiancee?
(a) May Welland
(b) Ellen Olenska
(c) Elaine van der Luyden
(d) Janey Welland
3. What type of flowers does Newland send Ellen?
(a) Purple hyacinths
(b) Yellow roses
(c) Blue hydrangeas
(d) Pink carnations
4. What is the law firm's position on the divorce?
(a) They have a conflict of interest
(b) It is a presitigious case
(c) They will not make any money on it
(d) The request should be cancelled
5. Who is a guest at Skuytercliff?
(d) Mrs. Mingott
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ellen say she will gain through the divorce?
2. What is the event of the season?
3. Which controversial Mingott family member arrives at the opera?
4. What is Skuytercliff?
5. What is Newland pleasantly surprised to find out about Ellen?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Newland show his growing fondness for Ellen?
2. On what issue does Newland ask May to violate social norms?
3. Why does Newland visit Mrs. Mingott when he returns to New York?
4. What misgivings does Newland have regarding his marriage to May?
5. Describe the Beauforts and their place in New York society.
6. How do Newland and Ellen finally reveal their true feelings for each other?
7. Describe how the van der Luydens show their power in New York society.
8. Explain Newland's conflict in being asked to handle Ellen's divorce?
9. How are Newland's feelings for Ellen obvious despite his attempts at decorum?
10. What does Ellen do to create some drama in her relationship with Newland?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)