|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the Wellands choose the location for their vacation?
(a) They have an estate there
(b) They keep horses there
(c) The air is beneficial for Mr. Welland's health
(d) They have a vineyard there
2. What does the answer to #73 ask Newland?
(a) Where he and May will live
(b) What are his career goals
(c) Where he proposed to May
(d) Why he did not marry Ellen
3. In what decade does this story begin?
4. Where is Newland sitting at the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) At dinner with May
(b) At his desk at home
(c) In his office
(d) The Mingott family opera box
5. Who is Newland Archer's fiancee?
(a) Elaine van der Luyden
(b) Janey Welland
(c) Ellen Olenska
(d) May Welland
Short Answer Questions
1. Who dines at the Archer household the night after the ball?
2. What does Newland ask Ellen?
3. Where does Newland go the next evening?
4. What type of flowers does Newland send Ellen?
5. Who had sent the object in #79?
Short Essay Questions
1. What issue does Newland bring up again when he sees May?
2. What does Ellen do to create some drama in her relationship with Newland?
3. What conflicting messages does Newland receive about Ellen's feelings for him in Chapter 15?
4. What is the reason for the Wellands' annual trip to Florida?
5. How does Newland perceive his role as May's future husband?
6. Explain Newland and May's betrothal visits.
7. What misgivings does Newland have regarding his marriage to May?
8. What convinces May that Newland really does want to marry her?
9. How does Newland maintain a flirtation with Ellen?
10. How are Newland's feelings for Ellen obvious despite his attempts at decorum?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)