|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who had sent the object in #79?
(a) Julius Beaufort
(b) Count Oleska
(c) Newland Archer
(d) Mr. van der Luyden
2. What does Newland tell Ellen about May?
(a) That May thinks Newland is in love with someone else
(b) She is inviting Ellen to the wedding
(c) She is having her wedding dress custom designed
(d) She is still in Florida
3. What is the opera being produced as the story begins?
(b) Madame Butterfly
4. What is Newland's objection to handling the divorce?
(a) He has a conflict of interest
(b) He is practically family
(c) He does not handle divorce cases
(d) His case load is too heavy
5. Who is a guest at Skuytercliff?
(d) Mrs. Mingott
Short Answer Questions
1. Who hosts Newland and May at their accommodations?
2. What does Newland ask Ellen?
3. How does Ellen Olenska appear to Newland when he sees her at a dinner party?
4. What does the answer to #73 ask Newland?
5. Where is Newland sitting at the beginning of Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Newland show his growing fondness for Ellen?
2. How does Newland maintain a flirtation with Ellen?
3. What is the setting for the story and the first chapter in particular?
4. How does Ellen exhibit unconventional behavior in public in Chapter 8?
5. What does Newland do after the awkward meeting with Ellen at Skuytercliff?
6. How does Newland perceive his role as May's future husband?
7. What does Ellen do to create some drama in her relationship with Newland?
8. Describe the Beauforts and their place in New York society.
9. Explain Newland and May's betrothal visits.
10. Describe how the van der Luydens show their power in New York society.
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)