|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Newland tell Ellen about May?
(a) She is having her wedding dress custom designed
(b) She is inviting Ellen to the wedding
(c) That May thinks Newland is in love with someone else
(d) She is still in Florida
2. What does Ellen tell Newland before leaving?
(a) That she expects he will call on her the next evening
(b) That she is sorry that they had not met many years ago
(c) That she enjoyed his company at dinner
(d) That she thinks he is very handsome
3. Who accompanies Newland and May on their betrothal visits?
(a) Mrs. Welland
(b) Mrs. Archer
(c) Countess Olenska
(d) Countess Olenska
4. What does Newland consider his marriage to May to be?
(a) A match made in heaven
(b) A life of passion
(c) The perfect arrangement
(d) A marriage of convenience
5. What is the opera being produced as the story begins?
(d) Madame Butterfly
Short Answer Questions
1. What does May suspect about Newland?
2. Who do Newland and Mrs. Archer visit in Chapter 7?
3. What does Ellen say she will gain through the divorce?
4. Who does Newland discover is visiting Ellen?
5. What surprises Newland when he arrives at Ellen's the next evening?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ellen show her disdain for her husband?
2. Describe the Beauforts and their place in New York society.
3. In what way does Newland show his growing fondness for Ellen?
4. What is the reason for the Wellands' annual trip to Florida?
5. Explain Newland's conflict in being asked to handle Ellen's divorce?
6. How does the author indicate Ellen's feelings for Newland at this point?
7. Describe how the van der Luydens show their power in New York society.
8. How does Newland feel about Ellen's rumored involvement with her husband's secretary?
9. What does Newland do after the awkward meeting with Ellen at Skuytercliff?
10. How does Ellen exhibit unconventional behavior in public in Chapter 8?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)