|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ellen do when Newland asks her to stop the divorce petition?
(a) She asks Newland to leave
(b) She says she will hire a different attorney
(c) She storms out of the room
(d) She abruptly agrees with him
2. What does May suspect about Newland?
(a) That he is having second thoughts about marrying her
(b) That he is still in love with another woman
(c) That he is gay
(d) That he is having financial problems
3. With whom did Newland have an affair at one time?
(a) Ellen Olenska
(b) Elaine van der Luyden
(c) Christine Beaufort
(d) A married woman
4. What does Ellen tell Newland?
(a) She knows he is sending her the flowers
(b) She thinks he should not marry May
(c) She is in love with him
(d) She is reconciling with her husband
5. What does the answer to #73 ask Newland?
(a) Where he proposed to May
(b) What are his career goals
(c) Where he and May will live
(d) Why he did not marry Ellen
Short Answer Questions
1. In what decade does this story begin?
2. What type of flowers does Newland send to Ellen that night?
3. Ellen's aunt tells her that someone has sent her ______________________.
4. What does Ellen tell Newland before leaving?
5. What is Newland's objection to handling the divorce?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting for the story and the first chapter in particular?
2. What issue does Newland bring up again when he sees May?
3. How does Newland maintain a flirtation with Ellen?
4. How does Newland perceive his role as May's future husband?
5. What is the reason for the Wellands' annual trip to Florida?
6. How do Newland and Ellen finally reveal their true feelings for each other?
7. How does Newland's sudden change of plans betray his feelings for Ellen?
8. Describe the Beauforts and their place in New York society.
9. What does Ellen do to create some drama in her relationship with Newland?
10. How does Ellen exhibit unconventional behavior in public in Chapter 8?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)