|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what decade does this story begin?
2. What is Newland told when he arrives at Ellen's house?
(a) She has another visitor
(b) She is ill
(c) She is out and will return soon
(d) She went to the theater
3. What type of flowers does Newland send to Ellen that night?
(d) Lilies of the Valley
4. What is Newland pleasantly surprised to find out about Ellen?
(a) She has decided to stay
(b) She is very opinionated
(c) She wants him to represent her
(d) She is in love with him
5. Ellen's aunt tells her that someone has sent her ______________________.
(a) a bouquet
(b) theater tickets
(c) a new hat
(d) a necklace
Short Answer Questions
1. What question does Ellen ask of Newland?
2. Ellen sends Newland a note saying that she "ran away" to "______________________."
3. What else does Newland tell Ellen?
4. What does the telegram say?
5. What is the law firm's position on the divorce?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Newland's sudden change of plans betray his feelings for Ellen?
2. How do Newland and Ellen finally reveal their true feelings for each other?
3. What conflicting messages does Newland receive about Ellen's feelings for him in Chapter 15?
4. Who is Ellen Olenska?
5. What convinces May that Newland really does want to marry her?
6. What misgivings does Newland have regarding his marriage to May?
7. Explain why Newland is both baffled and pleased by a visit to Ellen's home.
8. What does Ellen decide about her divorce after discussing it with Newland?
9. How does the author indicate Ellen's feelings for Newland at this point?
10. Why does Newland visit Mrs. Mingott when he returns to New York?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)