|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the event that occurs in Chapter 3?
(a) The Nutcracker Ballet
(b) The Easter Parade
(c) The Christmas Bazaar
(d) Annual Beaufort Ball
2. What does Ellen say she will gain through the divorce?
(a) An art collection
(b) Her freedom
(c) Her jewels
(d) An estate
3. What does Ellen tell Newland before leaving?
(a) That she expects he will call on her the next evening
(b) That she enjoyed his company at dinner
(c) That she thinks he is very handsome
(d) That she is sorry that they had not met many years ago
4. What is the opera being produced as the story begins?
(b) Madame Butterfly
5. Where does Newland go at the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) The opera
(b) Ellen's house
(c) His club
(d) The theater
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Newland ask Mrs. Mingott to do?
2. What does Newland ask Ellen?
3. Who does Newland discover is visiting Ellen?
4. What is the general consensus about Countess Olenska?
5. In what city does the story take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting for the story and the first chapter in particular?
2. What is the opinion of Ellen held by the Archer family members?
3. How does Newland respond while traveling in Europe and receiving an invitation to visit Ellen at her home?
4. What misgivings does Newland have regarding his marriage to May?
5. How does Newland miss an opportunity to talk to Ellen while at Newport?
6. Explain why Newland is both baffled and pleased by a visit to Ellen's home.
7. What ironic twist occurs just as Newland is about to admit his feelings for Ellen to May?
8. What issue does Newland bring up again when he sees May?
9. What does Ellen decide about her divorce after discussing it with Newland?
10. How does Newland once again raise May's suspicions about his intentions with Ellen?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)