|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who accompanies Newland and May on their betrothal visits?
(a) Mrs. Archer
(b) Mrs. Welland
(c) Countess Olenska
(d) Countess Olenska
2. Which controversial Mingott family member arrives at the opera?
(a) Countess Ellen Olenska
(b) Ellen van der Luyden
(c) Janey Welland
(d) May Mingott
3. What is Skuytercliff?
(a) The van der Luyden's country estate
(b) A resort area
(c) The Welland family estate
(d) Julius Beaufort's yacht
4. Ellen sends Newland a note saying that she "ran away" to "______________________."
(a) get a tan
(b) read some books
(c) think things over
(d) meditate and write
5. For what reason does Newland approve of the divorce?
(a) Ellen's husband is a gay man
(b) Ellen's husband had an affair
(c) Ellen's husband has an illegitimate child
(d) Ellen's husband treated her poorly
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the event that occurs in Chapter 3?
2. Who has been asked to handle the divorce case?
3. What does May suspect about Newland?
4. What do Newland and May do at the beginning of Chapter 10?
5. Where do the Wellands go on their annual vacation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Newland and Ellen finally reveal their true feelings for each other?
2. Who is Ellen Olenska?
3. How does Newland maintain a flirtation with Ellen?
4. What issue does Newland bring up again when he sees May?
5. Explain Newland and May's betrothal visits.
6. What does Newland do after the awkward meeting with Ellen at Skuytercliff?
7. How does Ellen show her disdain for her husband?
8. How are Newland's feelings for Ellen obvious despite his attempts at decorum?
9. What conflicting messages does Newland receive about Ellen's feelings for him in Chapter 15?
10. What is the setting for the story and the first chapter in particular?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)