|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who had sent the object in #79?
(a) Julius Beaufort
(b) Mr. van der Luyden
(c) Count Oleska
(d) Newland Archer
2. Who wants the divorce case to be dropped?
(a) Janey Archer
(b) Julius Beaufort
(c) Mrs. van der Luyden
(d) Ellen's family
3. Of what action of Ellen's does Newland approve?
(a) Buying a new wardrobe
(b) Using her inheritance
(c) Purchasing a home
(d) Getting a divorce
4. With whom did Newland have an affair at one time?
(a) Christine Beaufort
(b) A married woman
(c) Elaine van der Luyden
(d) Ellen Olenska
5. Where do the Wellands go on their annual vacation?
(a) The Bahamas
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises Newland when he arrives at Ellen's the next evening?
2. Ellen sends Newland a note saying that she "ran away" to "______________________."
3. What is May's position on the length of their engagement?
4. What is Newland told when he arrives at Ellen's house?
5. What question does Ellen ask of Newland?
Short Essay Questions
1. What legal case is Newland asked to handle in which he feels a conflict of interest?
2. How does the author indicate Ellen's feelings for Newland at this point?
3. What misgivings does Newland have regarding his marriage to May?
4. Who is Ellen Olenska?
5. In what way does Newland show his growing fondness for Ellen?
6. What does Ellen decide about her divorce after discussing it with Newland?
7. What does Ellen do to create some drama in her relationship with Newland?
8. How does Newland maintain a flirtation with Ellen?
9. How does Ellen exhibit unconventional behavior in public in Chapter 8?
10. Explain why Newland is both baffled and pleased by a visit to Ellen's home.
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)