|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what city is the event of #92?
2. About what do Newland and Ellen talk?
(a) Newland and May's wedding
(b) Mrs. Mingott's fortune
(c) Newland's new horse
(d) What has happened since they last met
3. Why does Mrs. Mingott know that Newland is on her side?
(a) His name is never mentioned in the family arguments
(b) They are both conservative Republicans
(c) He has always been extra attentive to her
(d) They are the only ones in the family with any business sense
4. What is the topic of conversation at dinner?
(a) The Easter Parade
(b) The stock market crash
(c) The Beaufort bankruptcy and Ellen
(d) The new theater season
5. Newland learns that all New York society thinks he and ______________ are lovers.
(a) Sara Rockefeller
(b) Ellen Olenska
(c) Elaine Carnegie
(d) Mrs. van der Luyden
6. To what have Newland and May been invited?
(a) A dinner party
(b) The theater
(c) The opera
(d) The races
7. What was Newland's first vacation destination choice?
(b) Boco Raton
(c) The Bahamas
8. What is Ellen instructed to do?
(a) Return to New York within 24 hours
(b) Buy some new evening gowns
(c) Obtain theater tickets
(d) Meet with her minister
9. What is the source of Mrs. Mingott's illness?
(a) Her sister has just died
(b) The rumors about Julius Beaufort are true
(c) Ellen has left without saying goodbye
(d) She has lost her fortune in a bad business deal
10. What does Newland tell the Wellands he plans to do?
(a) Play croquet
(b) Take tennis lessons
(c) Drive out to look at a horse for sale
(d) Read a book
11. What does Newland reason is the only way Ellen would return to her husband?
(a) If she felt tempted in any way by Newland
(b) If Ellen inherited Mrs. Mingot's fortune
(c) If Newland and May were to separate
(d) If her husband came to get her himself
12. What decision does Newland make regarding his travel plans?
(a) He changes them to a new date
(b) He revises them to include May
(c) He decides to keep them
(d) He cancels them
13. Who does Newland think of before he goes to sleep?
14. What mutual confession do Newland and Ellen make?
(a) They have been miserable without each other
(b) They both hate vacationing in Newport
(c) They both enjoy French cuisine
(d) They both love horse racing
15. Where is Newland surprised to see Ellen?
(a) At the hotel gift shop
(b) Sitting on a bench
(c) At the train station
(d) In a cafe
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Newland's secret plan?
2. What is the content of a message Newland receives from May?
3. Where has Ellen been living?
4. What does Newland understand after his conversation with Mrs. Mingott?
5. What is Mr. Riviere's belief about Ellen?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)