|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who offers to pick Ellen up at the station?
(b) Julius Beaufort
(c) Mr. van der Luyden
(d) The butler
2. What does Newland tell May about his business trip?
(a) It has been postponed
(b) He no longer wants to go
(c) It has been cancelled
(d) He is no longer requried to attend
3. What new game does May enjoy playing?
4. Where do Newland and May go on their honeymoon trip?
5. What does Ellen receive while in Washington?
(a) Yellow roses
(b) A divorce decree
(c) A telegram
(d) A birthday card
6. What does Newland tell Ellen?
(a) He is leaving May
(b) He had made plans to travel to Washington to see her
(c) He has started her divorce proceedings
(d) He has bought another horse
7. Why does Mrs. Mingott know that Newland is on her side?
(a) They are both conservative Republicans
(b) His name is never mentioned in the family arguments
(c) They are the only ones in the family with any business sense
(d) He has always been extra attentive to her
8. Ellen did not announce her intention to return to Europe until ________________________.
(a) The lease on her house had expired
(b) Mrs. Mingott's health improved
(c) Count Olenska sent a wire
(d) May told her she was pregnant
9. What does Ellen promise Newland?
(a) She will not go back to her husband
(b) She will return to her husband
(c) She will not ask any more favors of Newland
(d) She will not say anything to May
10. Who does Newland think of before he goes to sleep?
11. Where is Newland sitting?
(a) In church
(b) At a restaurant table
(c) In his library
(d) At his desk at the office
12. Why does May not want to attend the event of #92?
(a) She is too tired
(b) She has a migraine
(c) She cannot get used to the time change
(d) She does not know what to wear or what to say
13. What is Ellen instructed to do?
(a) Buy some new evening gowns
(b) Return to New York within 24 hours
(c) Obtain theater tickets
(d) Meet with her minister
14. What does Newland reason is the only way Ellen would return to her husband?
(a) If Ellen inherited Mrs. Mingot's fortune
(b) If she felt tempted in any way by Newland
(c) If her husband came to get her himself
(d) If Newland and May were to separate
15. Where have the Wellands gone at the beginning of Chapter 22?
(a) To the opera
(b) To church
(c) To the beach
(d) To a luncheon
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Newland's frustration cause him to do?
2. What is Newland's secret plan?
3. How did May die?
4. What does Newland do after breakfast?
5. What does Newland tell the Wellands he plans to do?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)