|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Newland and May do at the beginning of Chapter 24?
(a) Go to a matinee
(b) Go to a museum
(c) Walk in the park
(d) Have lunch
2. What does Newland not understand about Ellen's behavior?
(a) She is starting divorce proceedings again
(b) She is learning to speak Spanish
(c) She is staying in New York despite the fact that Mrs. Mingott is better
(d) She is wearing extremely provocative clothing
3. What does Mrs. Mingott ask of Newland?
(a) Convince the family that Ellen should stay in New York
(b) Draft a new will for her
(c) Host a dinner party for a visiting relative
(d) Take over her financial portfolio
4. What does Newland hear about the business trip the next day at the office?
(a) Newland no longer is required to attend
(b) The location has changed
(c) It has been postponed
(d) It has been cancelled
5. What new game does May enjoy playing?
6. What does Ellen tell Newland about their relationship?
(a) She is considering having an affair with him
(b) She will not have an affair with him and hurt May
(c) She wants him no matter who gets hurt
(d) She wants to make her husband jealous
7. Where do Newland and May spend the summer following their wedding?
(c) The Keys
(d) Boca Raton
8. What does Newland understand after his conversation with Mrs. Mingott?
(a) He will be the main benefactor in her will
(b) He does not want to get that old
(c) He is purposely excluded from conversations about Ellen
(d) He thinks she is losing her sanity
9. How does Ellen react when Newland kisses her palm?
(a) She moves away
(b) She blushes
(c) She kisses his cheek
(d) She tells him to stop
10. What does Newland reason is the only way Ellen would return to her husband?
(a) If Ellen inherited Mrs. Mingot's fortune
(b) If Newland and May were to separate
(c) If she felt tempted in any way by Newland
(d) If her husband came to get her himself
11. Where do Newland and May go on their honeymoon trip?
12. What do Newland and Ellen agree to do?
(a) Run away to France together
(b) Never see each other again
(c) Reveal their deception to May
(d) Meet the day after next for a romantic encounter
13. Where have the Wellands gone at the beginning of Chapter 22?
(a) To the opera
(b) To church
(c) To the beach
(d) To a luncheon
14. What is Newland's response to Ellen's statement about their relationship?
(a) He cannot understand why she feels the way she does
(b) He is instantly angry
(c) He understands but is heartbroken
(d) He wants to go far away so they can be together
15. Who does Newland think of before he goes to sleep?
Short Answer Questions
1. What secret thought does Newland keep during the dinner?
2. Where will Ellen's train arrive?
3. What is the topic of conversation at dinner?
4. Who is Mr. Riviere?
5. What is the occasion of the first big event hosted at Newland and May's home?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)