|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What secret thought does Newland keep during the dinner?
(a) He is desperately unhappy now that Ellen is leaving
(b) He must have been mad to consider leaving May
(c) He is content in his new home
(d) Nothing can prevent him from following Ellen to Europe
2. How many years have passed since the last chapter?
3. What decision does Newland make regarding his travel plans?
(a) He cancels them
(b) He revises them to include May
(c) He decides to keep them
(d) He changes them to a new date
4. Where does Newland go after Ellen leaves?
(a) The library
(b) The natural history museum
(c) The train station
(d) The matinee
5. What is Newland's response to Ellen's statement about their relationship?
(a) He understands but is heartbroken
(b) He is instantly angry
(c) He wants to go far away so they can be together
(d) He cannot understand why she feels the way she does
6. Who had visited Mrs. Mingott the night before to ask for help?
(a) Mrs. Beaufort
(b) Countess Olenska
(c) Mrs. Welland
(d) Mrs. Astor
7. Who does Mrs. Mingott send Newland to get?
8. What does Ellen's family now consider her?
(a) A godsend
(b) A delight
(c) An inconvenience
(d) A blessing
9. Where do Newland and May spend the summer following their wedding?
(a) The Keys
(c) Boca Raton
10. What does Newland find when he reaches the house where Ellen is staying?
(a) She will not see him
(b) She is at the beach for the afternoon
(c) She has gone to Boston on a business matter
(d) She is in bed with a migraine
11. What does Newland not understand about Ellen's behavior?
(a) She is staying in New York despite the fact that Mrs. Mingott is better
(b) She is wearing extremely provocative clothing
(c) She is learning to speak Spanish
(d) She is starting divorce proceedings again
12. What does Ellen tell Newland about their relationship?
(a) She is considering having an affair with him
(b) She wants him no matter who gets hurt
(c) She will not have an affair with him and hurt May
(d) She wants to make her husband jealous
13. What does Newland discover during the honeymoon?
(a) He is madly in love with his new wife
(b) He is disappointed in May
(c) He has to get used to being married
(d) He wants the marriage annulled
14. What does Newland do after breakfast?
(a) Does some sightseeing
(b) Buys a gift for May
(c) Sends a note to Ellen at her hotel
(d) Orders some new suits
15. Which of the following is not a name of Newland and May's children?
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is Dallas engaged to be married?
2. What is Newland's real plan?
3. Where does Newland find Ellen?
4. What do Newland and May do at the beginning of Chapter 24?
5. What does Newland convince Ellen to do?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)