|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Newland and May go on their honeymoon trip?
2. What does Mrs. Mingott ask of Newland?
(a) Host a dinner party for a visiting relative
(b) Draft a new will for her
(c) Convince the family that Ellen should stay in New York
(d) Take over her financial portfolio
3. Who is having dinner with Mrs. Archer, Janey, Newland and May?
(a) Julius Beaufort
(b) Countess Oleska
(c) Mr. Jackson
(d) Mr. van der Luyden
4. What is Newland's real plan?
(a) To order a new wardrobe
(b) To buy a hostess gift for Mrs. Welland
(c) To find Ellen
(d) To arrange a surprise party for May
5. What does Newland tell May after the party?
(a) The party was a great success
(b) He wants to start a family
(c) He needs a break and needs to go far away
(d) He is madly in love with her
6. What is the content of a message Newland receives from May?
(a) She wants him to make dinner reservations
(b) She has broken her leg
(c) The maid just quit
(d) Mrs. Mingott had a stroke
7. What does Mr. Riviere tell Newland?
(a) The Count wants her to return
(b) He has theater tickets for him
(c) He has an opera box for him
(d) His finances are in dire need of attention
8. What does Newland discover during the honeymoon?
(a) He has to get used to being married
(b) He wants the marriage annulled
(c) He is disappointed in May
(d) He is madly in love with his new wife
9. Why does Ellen not pursue a relationship with Newland?
(a) She does not want to hurt May
(b) She does not want to leave her husband
(c) She is in love with someone else
(d) She is returning to Europe
10. Newland tells May that he will soon have to travel to ______________ for business.
11. Who is Mr. Riviere?
(a) Newland's financial advisor
(b) Newland's new law partner
(c) May's tennis coach
(d) The messenger sent by the Count
12. Where does Newland find Ellen?
(a) Mrs. Welland's house
(b) Mrs. Beaufort's house
(c) Mrs. Carnegie's house
(d) Mrs. van der Luyden's house
13. What does Ellen receive while in Washington?
(a) A birthday card
(b) A divorce decree
(c) A telegram
(d) Yellow roses
14. How many years have passed since the last chapter?
15. What decision does Newland make regarding his travel plans?
(a) He revises them to include May
(b) He decides to keep them
(c) He cancels them
(d) He changes them to a new date
Short Answer Questions
1. About what do Newland and Ellen talk?
2. What decision does Newland make?
3. What is the occasion of the first big event hosted at Newland and May's home?
4. How are May's dinner conversation skills?
5. To what do people point to as the reason for Ellen's improper behavior?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)