|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Newland and May spend the summer following their wedding?
(b) The Keys
(c) Boca Raton
2. What does May tell Newland when he mentions Ellen?
(a) Ellen is returning to Europe
(b) Ellen would never hurt her
(c) Newland will come to his senses in time
(d) He and Ellen can rot
3. How many years have passed since the last chapter?
4. Where will Ellen's train arrive?
(d) Jersey City
5. What surprising news does May have for Newland?
(a) She wants to redecorate the house
(b) She has already filed for divorce
(c) She is pregnant
(d) She is leaving him
6. Why does Mrs. Mingott know that Newland is on her side?
(a) They are both conservative Republicans
(b) He has always been extra attentive to her
(c) His name is never mentioned in the family arguments
(d) They are the only ones in the family with any business sense
7. How did Newland plan to inform May of his plan?
(a) Leave her a note
(b) Talk to her over dinner
(c) Send her a long letter
(d) Talk to her before going to bed
8. What is the source of Mrs. Mingott's illness?
(a) She has lost her fortune in a bad business deal
(b) Ellen has left without saying goodbye
(c) The rumors about Julius Beaufort are true
(d) Her sister has just died
9. Which of the following is not a name of Newland and May's children?
10. What is Newland's secret plan?
(a) Find out where Ellen plans to travel and go with her
(b) To leave the law firm
(c) To alter Mrs. Mingott's will to exclude Ellen
(d) To have an affair with Ellen
11. Where is Newland sitting?
(a) In his library
(b) At his desk at the office
(c) At a restaurant table
(d) In church
12. What decision does Newland make?
(a) To go to Boston the next day
(b) To buy two horses
(c) To stop seeing Ellen
(d) To divorce May
13. What does Newland tell May about his business trip?
(a) It has been postponed
(b) He no longer wants to go
(c) It has been cancelled
(d) He is no longer requried to attend
14. Newland learns that all New York society thinks he and ______________ are lovers.
(a) Mrs. van der Luyden
(b) Ellen Olenska
(c) Elaine Carnegie
(d) Sara Rockefeller
15. Why does May not want to attend the event of #92?
(a) She does not know what to wear or what to say
(b) She has a migraine
(c) She is too tired
(d) She cannot get used to the time change
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Newland convince Ellen to do?
2. About what do Newland and Ellen talk?
3. What is Newland's decision about the horse?
4. Where is Newland surprised to see Ellen?
5. Why does Mrs. Mingott want Ellen to stay in New York?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)