|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does May tell Newland when he mentions Ellen?
(a) He and Ellen can rot
(b) Ellen would never hurt her
(c) Newland will come to his senses in time
(d) Ellen is returning to Europe
2. About what do Newland and Ellen talk?
(a) What has happened since they last met
(b) Newland and May's wedding
(c) Mrs. Mingott's fortune
(d) Newland's new horse
3. In what city is the event of #92?
4. What decision does Newland make regarding his travel plans?
(a) He changes them to a new date
(b) He cancels them
(c) He revises them to include May
(d) He decides to keep them
5. What do Newland and Ellen agree to do?
(a) Reveal their deception to May
(b) Run away to France together
(c) Meet the day after next for a romantic encounter
(d) Never see each other again
6. To what do people point to as the reason for Ellen's improper behavior?
(a) Having lived in Europe for so long
(b) Not having her own personal fortune
(c) Not having gone to finishing school
(d) Having grown up an orphan
7. What is Newland's decision about the horse?
(a) It is not what he was looking for
(b) He chooses another horse in the stable
(c) He buys it on the spot
(d) He wants to get a second opinion before buying it
8. Who had visited Mrs. Mingott the night before to ask for help?
(a) Countess Olenska
(b) Mrs. Welland
(c) Mrs. Beaufort
(d) Mrs. Astor
9. Where have the Wellands gone at the beginning of Chapter 22?
(a) To church
(b) To the opera
(c) To a luncheon
(d) To the beach
10. What does Newland understand after his conversation with Mrs. Mingott?
(a) He thinks she is losing her sanity
(b) He will be the main benefactor in her will
(c) He does not want to get that old
(d) He is purposely excluded from conversations about Ellen
11. What does Mrs. Mingott ask of Newland?
(a) Host a dinner party for a visiting relative
(b) Take over her financial portfolio
(c) Draft a new will for her
(d) Convince the family that Ellen should stay in New York
12. How does Newland travel to his destination?
13. What is Newland's secret plan?
(a) To have an affair with Ellen
(b) To alter Mrs. Mingott's will to exclude Ellen
(c) Find out where Ellen plans to travel and go with her
(d) To leave the law firm
14. Which of the following is not a name of Newland and May's children?
15. Who does Mrs. Mingott send Newland to get?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ellen's family now consider her?
2. Where do Newland and May go on their honeymoon trip?
3. What surprising news does May have for Newland?
4. What does Ellen tell Newland about their relationship?
5. Who is having dinner with Mrs. Archer, Janey, Newland and May?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)