|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Newland reason is the only way Ellen would return to her husband?
(a) If her husband came to get her himself
(b) If Newland and May were to separate
(c) If Ellen inherited Mrs. Mingot's fortune
(d) If she felt tempted in any way by Newland
2. In what city is the event of #92?
3. What does Ellen ask of Newland?
(a) That he divorce May
(b) That they keep their relationship proper
(c) That he help her get a divorce
(d) That he loan her some money
4. What does Ellen's family now consider her?
(a) A delight
(b) A godsend
(c) An inconvenience
(d) A blessing
5. What is Newland's real plan?
(a) To buy a hostess gift for Mrs. Welland
(b) To find Ellen
(c) To order a new wardrobe
(d) To arrange a surprise party for May
6. Where does Newland find Ellen?
(a) Mrs. Carnegie's house
(b) Mrs. Beaufort's house
(c) Mrs. Welland's house
(d) Mrs. van der Luyden's house
7. Why is Newland excluded from many family conversations?
(a) He is on Ellen's side
(b) He is insensitive
(c) He has no patience for them
(d) He does not like gossip
8. What do Newland and May do at the beginning of Chapter 24?
(a) Go to a museum
(b) Go to a matinee
(c) Have lunch
(d) Walk in the park
9. Why does Ellen not pursue a relationship with Newland?
(a) She is returning to Europe
(b) She does not want to leave her husband
(c) She is in love with someone else
(d) She does not want to hurt May
10. What does Newland begin to tell May when they return home?
(a) That she looks lovely in her new dress
(b) That they need to host a dinner for the Beauforts
(c) That he needs to find a new doctor
(d) That he loves Ellen
11. What is the content of a message Newland receives from May?
(a) Mrs. Mingott had a stroke
(b) She has broken her leg
(c) She wants him to make dinner reservations
(d) The maid just quit
12. Newland tells May that he will soon have to travel to ______________ for business.
13. What is the source of Mrs. Mingott's illness?
(a) Her sister has just died
(b) She has lost her fortune in a bad business deal
(c) Ellen has left without saying goodbye
(d) The rumors about Julius Beaufort are true
14. What decision does Newland make?
(a) To buy two horses
(b) To stop seeing Ellen
(c) To go to Boston the next day
(d) To divorce May
15. About what do Newland and Ellen talk?
(a) What has happened since they last met
(b) Newland's new horse
(c) Newland and May's wedding
(d) Mrs. Mingott's fortune
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the topic of conversation at dinner?
2. To whom is Dallas engaged to be married?
3. What does May tell Newland when he mentions Ellen?
4. What do Newland and Ellen agree to do?
5. What secret thought does Newland keep during the dinner?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)