|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Newland take a trip to Europe?
(a) Mr. van der Luyden
(b) Mrs. Archer
2. What does Newland tell the Wellands he plans to do?
(a) Read a book
(b) Drive out to look at a horse for sale
(c) Play croquet
(d) Take tennis lessons
3. Where is Newland sitting?
(a) At his desk at the office
(b) In church
(c) In his library
(d) At a restaurant table
4. Where do Newland and Ellen agree to meet the next day?
(a) The train station
(b) The Ritz
(c) The art museum in the park
(d) The Botanical Gardens
5. What is Ellen instructed to do?
(a) Return to New York within 24 hours
(b) Meet with her minister
(c) Buy some new evening gowns
(d) Obtain theater tickets
6. What is the topic of conversation at dinner?
(a) The Easter Parade
(b) The new theater season
(c) The stock market crash
(d) The Beaufort bankruptcy and Ellen
7. Who does Newland run into when he returns to New York?
(a) Mr. Riviere
(b) John D. Rockefeller
(c) Mr. van der Luyden
(d) Julius and Regina Beaufort
8. What does Newland's frustration cause him to do?
(a) Begs Ellen to change her mind
(b) Stops the carriage and gets out in the snow
(c) Begins to cry uncontrollably
(d) Slaps Ellen across the cheek
9. Why does May not want to attend the event of #92?
(a) She cannot get used to the time change
(b) She does not know what to wear or what to say
(c) She has a migraine
(d) She is too tired
10. Ellen did not announce her intention to return to Europe until ________________________.
(a) May told her she was pregnant
(b) Mrs. Mingott's health improved
(c) Count Olenska sent a wire
(d) The lease on her house had expired
11. What does Mr. Riviere tell Newland?
(a) The Count wants her to return
(b) He has theater tickets for him
(c) His finances are in dire need of attention
(d) He has an opera box for him
12. What does Mrs. Mingott tell her visitor?
(a) She really does not have time to listen to her problems
(b) She will be happy to help in any way she can
(c) She will use her influence to keep the disgrace out of the press
(d) She married Mr. Beaufort and she must stick with him through his disgrace
13. What is Mr. Riviere's belief about Ellen?
(a) She is a manipulative woman
(b) She is better off without her husband
(c) She is too naive to be married to the Count
(d) She should return to the Count right away
14. What does May tell Newland when he mentions Ellen?
(a) Newland will come to his senses in time
(b) Ellen would never hurt her
(c) He and Ellen can rot
(d) Ellen is returning to Europe
15. Why is Newland excluded from many family conversations?
(a) He is on Ellen's side
(b) He is insensitive
(c) He has no patience for them
(d) He does not like gossip
Short Answer Questions
1. What decision does Newland make?
2. What does Newland understand after his conversation with Mrs. Mingott?
3. Who does Newland think of before he goes to sleep?
4. How does Newland travel to his destination?
5. What is the content of a message Newland receives from May?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)