|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Mingott want Ellen to stay in New York?
(a) To find a new husband
(b) To manage her household
(c) To get involved in the arts
(d) To help care for her
2. What is Newland's response to Ellen's statement about their relationship?
(a) He understands but is heartbroken
(b) He is instantly angry
(c) He wants to go far away so they can be together
(d) He cannot understand why she feels the way she does
3. Why does May not want to attend the event of #92?
(a) She does not know what to wear or what to say
(b) She has a migraine
(c) She is too tired
(d) She cannot get used to the time change
4. Ellen did not announce her intention to return to Europe until ________________________.
(a) The lease on her house had expired
(b) May told her she was pregnant
(c) Mrs. Mingott's health improved
(d) Count Olenska sent a wire
5. Who is Mr. Riviere?
(a) The messenger sent by the Count
(b) Newland's new law partner
(c) May's tennis coach
(d) Newland's financial advisor
6. What surprising news does May have for Newland?
(a) She wants to redecorate the house
(b) She is pregnant
(c) She has already filed for divorce
(d) She is leaving him
7. What decision does Newland make regarding his travel plans?
(a) He decides to keep them
(b) He changes them to a new date
(c) He revises them to include May
(d) He cancels them
8. Which of the following is not a name of Newland and May's children?
9. Where will Ellen's train arrive?
(d) Jersey City
10. Where do Newland and May go on their honeymoon trip?
11. To whom is Dallas engaged to be married?
(a) Sara Rockefeller
(b) Monica Astor
(c) Mary van der Luyden
(d) Fanny Beaufort
12. About what do Newland and Ellen talk?
(a) Newland's new horse
(b) What has happened since they last met
(c) Newland and May's wedding
(d) Mrs. Mingott's fortune
13. What does Newland tell May to get her to leave with him during the opera?
(a) The music is too loud
(b) His stomach is upset
(c) He has an early morning tomorrow
(d) He has a headache
14. To what do people point to as the reason for Ellen's improper behavior?
(a) Not having her own personal fortune
(b) Not having gone to finishing school
(c) Having lived in Europe for so long
(d) Having grown up an orphan
15. What does Ellen tell Newland?
(a) Her husband has offered her money to return
(b) Her husband wants a divorce immediately
(c) She is in love with someone new
(d) She is pregnant
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Newland discover during the honeymoon?
2. Who is staying with Mrs. Mingott in Newport?
3. What is Ellen instructed to do?
4. How are May's dinner conversation skills?
5. Where does Newland go after Ellen leaves?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)