|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where has Ellen been living?
2. What does Newland find when he reaches the house where Ellen is staying?
(a) She will not see him
(b) She has gone to Boston on a business matter
(c) She is in bed with a migraine
(d) She is at the beach for the afternoon
3. What does Newland do after breakfast?
(a) Orders some new suits
(b) Sends a note to Ellen at her hotel
(c) Buys a gift for May
(d) Does some sightseeing
4. What does Mr. Riviere tell Newland?
(a) He has an opera box for him
(b) His finances are in dire need of attention
(c) He has theater tickets for him
(d) The Count wants her to return
5. Newland learns that all New York society thinks he and ______________ are lovers.
(a) Mrs. van der Luyden
(b) Elaine Carnegie
(c) Ellen Olenska
(d) Sara Rockefeller
6. What does Ellen's family now consider her?
(a) An inconvenience
(b) A blessing
(c) A godsend
(d) A delight
7. What does Newland begin to tell May when they return home?
(a) That he needs to find a new doctor
(b) That he loves Ellen
(c) That she looks lovely in her new dress
(d) That they need to host a dinner for the Beauforts
8. What does Ellen receive while in Washington?
(a) Yellow roses
(b) A telegram
(c) A birthday card
(d) A divorce decree
9. What is the occasion of the first big event hosted at Newland and May's home?
(a) An anniversary party for the Wellands
(b) A birthday party for Mrs. Archer
(c) A bon voyage party for the Beauforts
(d) A going away party for Countess Olenska
10. What does Newland convince Ellen to do?
(a) Say she will marry him someday
(b) Proceed with the divorce
(c) Return to her husband
(d) Spend the day with him
11. What new game does May enjoy playing?
12. Who had visited Mrs. Mingott the night before to ask for help?
(a) Mrs. Astor
(b) Mrs. Welland
(c) Countess Olenska
(d) Mrs. Beaufort
13. What is the source of Mrs. Mingott's illness?
(a) The rumors about Julius Beaufort are true
(b) Her sister has just died
(c) She has lost her fortune in a bad business deal
(d) Ellen has left without saying goodbye
14. Where do Newland and Ellen agree to meet the next day?
(a) The train station
(b) The Ritz
(c) The Botanical Gardens
(d) The art museum in the park
15. Ellen did not announce her intention to return to Europe until ________________________.
(a) The lease on her house had expired
(b) Count Olenska sent a wire
(c) Mrs. Mingott's health improved
(d) May told her she was pregnant
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Newland discover during the honeymoon?
2. What does Ellen promise Newland?
3. What was Newland's first vacation destination choice?
4. Where does Newland pick up Ellen?
5. What is Newland's secret plan?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)