|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Newland tell May to get her to leave with him during the opera?
(a) His stomach is upset
(b) He has a headache
(c) He has an early morning tomorrow
(d) The music is too loud
2. To whom is Dallas engaged to be married?
(a) Fanny Beaufort
(b) Monica Astor
(c) Sara Rockefeller
(d) Mary van der Luyden
3. About what do Newland and Ellen talk?
(a) What has happened since they last met
(b) Newland's new horse
(c) Mrs. Mingott's fortune
(d) Newland and May's wedding
4. What does Newland discover during the honeymoon?
(a) He is madly in love with his new wife
(b) He has to get used to being married
(c) He wants the marriage annulled
(d) He is disappointed in May
5. Who does Mrs. Mingott send Newland to get?
6. Why does May not want to attend the event of #92?
(a) She has a migraine
(b) She is too tired
(c) She does not know what to wear or what to say
(d) She cannot get used to the time change
7. What is the topic of conversation at dinner?
(a) Opening night of a new Broadway play
(b) How the rules of society have changed
(c) The opening of a new museum
(d) The stock market
8. With whom does Newland take a trip to Europe?
(a) Mrs. Archer
(d) Mr. van der Luyden
9. What does Newland tell May after the party?
(a) He is madly in love with her
(b) He wants to start a family
(c) He needs a break and needs to go far away
(d) The party was a great success
10. Where does Newland pick up Ellen?
(a) The Ritz
(b) The train station
(c) The bus terminal
(d) The Botanical Gardens
11. What is the source of Mrs. Mingott's illness?
(a) Her sister has just died
(b) She has lost her fortune in a bad business deal
(c) The rumors about Julius Beaufort are true
(d) Ellen has left without saying goodbye
12. What does Newland reason is the only way Ellen would return to her husband?
(a) If her husband came to get her himself
(b) If Ellen inherited Mrs. Mingot's fortune
(c) If she felt tempted in any way by Newland
(d) If Newland and May were to separate
13. Who had visited Mrs. Mingott the night before to ask for help?
(a) Countess Olenska
(b) Mrs. Beaufort
(c) Mrs. Astor
(d) Mrs. Welland
14. Where does Newland find Ellen?
(a) Mrs. van der Luyden's house
(b) Mrs. Carnegie's house
(c) Mrs. Welland's house
(d) Mrs. Beaufort's house
15. What do Newland and Ellen agree to do?
(a) Never see each other again
(b) Meet the day after next for a romantic encounter
(c) Reveal their deception to May
(d) Run away to France together
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Newland convince Ellen to do?
2. Who does Newland think of before he goes to sleep?
3. What decision does Newland make regarding his travel plans?
4. Who is it rumored will soon lose all his money?
5. Who requests Newland to visit a few days later?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)