|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ellen tell Newland?
(a) She is in love with someone new
(b) Her husband has offered her money to return
(c) She is pregnant
(d) Her husband wants a divorce immediately
2. What surprising news does May have for Newland?
(a) She is pregnant
(b) She wants to redecorate the house
(c) She is leaving him
(d) She has already filed for divorce
3. Where does Newland go at the beginning of Chapter 23?
(d) New York
4. What does Newland understand after his conversation with Mrs. Mingott?
(a) He will be the main benefactor in her will
(b) He does not want to get that old
(c) He thinks she is losing her sanity
(d) He is purposely excluded from conversations about Ellen
5. What does Newland tell May to get her to leave with him during the opera?
(a) The music is too loud
(b) His stomach is upset
(c) He has a headache
(d) He has an early morning tomorrow
6. Where does Newland pick up Ellen?
(a) The bus terminal
(b) The Ritz
(c) The Botanical Gardens
(d) The train station
7. Where do Newland and May go on their honeymoon trip?
8. Newland tells May that he will soon have to travel to ______________ for business.
9. What does Ellen tell Newland about their relationship?
(a) She wants him no matter who gets hurt
(b) She will not have an affair with him and hurt May
(c) She wants to make her husband jealous
(d) She is considering having an affair with him
10. Who is staying with Mrs. Mingott in Newport?
(a) The Wellands
(b) Elaine Astor
(c) Janey Archer
(d) Ellen Olenska
11. What does Newland not understand about Ellen's behavior?
(a) She is starting divorce proceedings again
(b) She is staying in New York despite the fact that Mrs. Mingott is better
(c) She is learning to speak Spanish
(d) She is wearing extremely provocative clothing
12. What does Newland convince Ellen to do?
(a) Proceed with the divorce
(b) Say she will marry him someday
(c) Return to her husband
(d) Spend the day with him
13. What is the topic of conversation at dinner?
(a) The Easter Parade
(b) The stock market crash
(c) The Beaufort bankruptcy and Ellen
(d) The new theater season
14. Ellen did not announce her intention to return to Europe until ________________________.
(a) Mrs. Mingott's health improved
(b) Count Olenska sent a wire
(c) May told her she was pregnant
(d) The lease on her house had expired
15. What is Mr. Riviere's belief about Ellen?
(a) She is a manipulative woman
(b) She is too naive to be married to the Count
(c) She should return to the Count right away
(d) She is better off without her husband
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Mingott want Ellen to stay in New York?
2. Who does Newland think of before he goes to sleep?
3. Who had visited Mrs. Mingott the night before to ask for help?
4. In what city is the event of #92?
5. What is Newland's decision about the horse?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)