|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Newland convince Ellen to do?
(a) Return to her husband
(b) Spend the day with him
(c) Say she will marry him someday
(d) Proceed with the divorce
2. Who is staying with Mrs. Mingott in Newport?
(a) Elaine Astor
(b) Janey Archer
(c) Ellen Olenska
(d) The Wellands
3. What is Newland's real plan?
(a) To order a new wardrobe
(b) To buy a hostess gift for Mrs. Welland
(c) To find Ellen
(d) To arrange a surprise party for May
4. Where does Newland go after Ellen leaves?
(a) The library
(b) The matinee
(c) The train station
(d) The natural history museum
5. Why does Mrs. Mingott know that Newland is on her side?
(a) His name is never mentioned in the family arguments
(b) They are the only ones in the family with any business sense
(c) They are both conservative Republicans
(d) He has always been extra attentive to her
6. Who had visited Mrs. Mingott the night before to ask for help?
(a) Mrs. Beaufort
(b) Mrs. Welland
(c) Countess Olenska
(d) Mrs. Astor
7. What does Ellen tell Newland about their relationship?
(a) She is considering having an affair with him
(b) She wants him no matter who gets hurt
(c) She will not have an affair with him and hurt May
(d) She wants to make her husband jealous
8. What is the occasion of the first big event hosted at Newland and May's home?
(a) A going away party for Countess Olenska
(b) A bon voyage party for the Beauforts
(c) A birthday party for Mrs. Archer
(d) An anniversary party for the Wellands
9. In what city is the event of #92?
10. Who is it rumored will soon lose all his money?
(a) John D. Rockefeller
(b) Andrew Carnegie
(c) Mr. van der Luyden
(d) Julius Beaufort
11. Where has Ellen been living?
12. What does Newland not understand about Ellen's behavior?
(a) She is starting divorce proceedings again
(b) She is staying in New York despite the fact that Mrs. Mingott is better
(c) She is learning to speak Spanish
(d) She is wearing extremely provocative clothing
13. Why does May not want to attend the event of #92?
(a) She cannot get used to the time change
(b) She does not know what to wear or what to say
(c) She is too tired
(d) She has a migraine
14. How did May die?
(a) Diabetic complications
(b) Nursing Bill during a bout of pneumonia
(c) A heart attack
(d) A car accident
15. What does Newland tell May after the party?
(a) He needs a break and needs to go far away
(b) He is madly in love with her
(c) He wants to start a family
(d) The party was a great success
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ellen promise Newland?
2. With whom does Newland take a trip to Europe?
3. Where do Newland and May go on their honeymoon trip?
4. What does Ellen tell Newland?
5. Where will Ellen's train arrive?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)