|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom is Dallas engaged to be married?
(a) Monica Astor
(b) Mary van der Luyden
(c) Fanny Beaufort
(d) Sara Rockefeller
2. What does Mrs. Mingott tell her visitor?
(a) She will use her influence to keep the disgrace out of the press
(b) She really does not have time to listen to her problems
(c) She married Mr. Beaufort and she must stick with him through his disgrace
(d) She will be happy to help in any way she can
3. Ellen did not announce her intention to return to Europe until ________________________.
(a) May told her she was pregnant
(b) Mrs. Mingott's health improved
(c) The lease on her house had expired
(d) Count Olenska sent a wire
4. Where do Newland and May go on their honeymoon trip?
5. Where has Ellen been living?
6. What was Newland's first vacation destination choice?
(a) Boco Raton
(d) The Bahamas
7. What does Ellen ask of Newland?
(a) That he loan her some money
(b) That they keep their relationship proper
(c) That he help her get a divorce
(d) That he divorce May
8. What do Newland and Ellen agree to do?
(a) Reveal their deception to May
(b) Run away to France together
(c) Meet the day after next for a romantic encounter
(d) Never see each other again
9. What secret thought does Newland keep during the dinner?
(a) He is content in his new home
(b) He must have been mad to consider leaving May
(c) Nothing can prevent him from following Ellen to Europe
(d) He is desperately unhappy now that Ellen is leaving
10. What does Newland do after breakfast?
(a) Does some sightseeing
(b) Buys a gift for May
(c) Sends a note to Ellen at her hotel
(d) Orders some new suits
11. To what do people point to as the reason for Ellen's improper behavior?
(a) Having lived in Europe for so long
(b) Not having her own personal fortune
(c) Having grown up an orphan
(d) Not having gone to finishing school
12. Where does Newland find Ellen?
(a) Mrs. van der Luyden's house
(b) Mrs. Beaufort's house
(c) Mrs. Welland's house
(d) Mrs. Carnegie's house
13. Who does Mr. Jackson insinuate has been supporting Ellen?
(b) Julius Beaufort
(c) Mr. van der Luyden
(d) Mr. Welland
14. What does Newland hear about the business trip the next day at the office?
(a) Newland no longer is required to attend
(b) It has been postponed
(c) The location has changed
(d) It has been cancelled
15. Where does Newland go after Ellen leaves?
(a) The natural history museum
(b) The train station
(c) The library
(d) The matinee
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Newland and May do at the beginning of Chapter 24?
2. Who does Mrs. Mingott send Newland to get?
3. What does Newland tell May about his business trip?
4. What does Newland tell Ellen?
5. What does Newland reason is the only way Ellen would return to her husband?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)