|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what have Newland and May been invited?
(a) The races
(b) The opera
(c) A dinner party
(d) The theater
2. How did May die?
(a) A heart attack
(b) A car accident
(c) Diabetic complications
(d) Nursing Bill during a bout of pneumonia
3. Which of the following is not a name of Newland and May's children?
4. What does Ellen tell Newland about their relationship?
(a) She is considering having an affair with him
(b) She wants him no matter who gets hurt
(c) She will not have an affair with him and hurt May
(d) She wants to make her husband jealous
5. Who is having dinner with Mrs. Archer, Janey, Newland and May?
(a) Mr. van der Luyden
(b) Julius Beaufort
(c) Countess Oleska
(d) Mr. Jackson
6. Who does Newland think of before he goes to sleep?
7. Where do Newland and May spend the summer following their wedding?
(a) The Keys
(c) Boca Raton
8. What does Newland find when he reaches the house where Ellen is staying?
(a) She will not see him
(b) She is at the beach for the afternoon
(c) She has gone to Boston on a business matter
(d) She is in bed with a migraine
9. What secret thought does Newland keep during the dinner?
(a) He is desperately unhappy now that Ellen is leaving
(b) He is content in his new home
(c) He must have been mad to consider leaving May
(d) Nothing can prevent him from following Ellen to Europe
10. What mutual confession do Newland and Ellen make?
(a) They both love horse racing
(b) They both enjoy French cuisine
(c) They have been miserable without each other
(d) They both hate vacationing in Newport
11. What is Newland's response to Ellen's statement about their relationship?
(a) He wants to go far away so they can be together
(b) He cannot understand why she feels the way she does
(c) He is instantly angry
(d) He understands but is heartbroken
12. What is the content of a message Newland receives from May?
(a) She wants him to make dinner reservations
(b) Mrs. Mingott had a stroke
(c) The maid just quit
(d) She has broken her leg
13. Why is Newland excluded from many family conversations?
(a) He does not like gossip
(b) He has no patience for them
(c) He is insensitive
(d) He is on Ellen's side
14. What does Newland tell May to get her to leave with him during the opera?
(a) He has an early morning tomorrow
(b) He has a headache
(c) His stomach is upset
(d) The music is too loud
15. Who is staying with Mrs. Mingott in Newport?
(a) Elaine Astor
(b) Janey Archer
(c) Ellen Olenska
(d) The Wellands
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is Dallas engaged to be married?
2. In what city is the event of #92?
3. How does Ellen react when Newland kisses her palm?
4. What is Newland's real plan?
5. Where do Newland and Ellen agree to meet the next day?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)