|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Newland excluded from many family conversations?
(a) He has no patience for them
(b) He is insensitive
(c) He is on Ellen's side
(d) He does not like gossip
2. Where does Newland go after Ellen leaves?
(a) The train station
(b) The matinee
(c) The library
(d) The natural history museum
3. How does Newland travel to his destination?
4. What does Newland find when he reaches the house where Ellen is staying?
(a) She has gone to Boston on a business matter
(b) She is at the beach for the afternoon
(c) She will not see him
(d) She is in bed with a migraine
5. Who requests Newland to visit a few days later?
(a) Mrs. Beaufort
(b) Mrs. Mingott
(c) Mrs. Welland
(d) Mrs. van der Luyden
6. What is Mr. Riviere's belief about Ellen?
(a) She should return to the Count right away
(b) She is a manipulative woman
(c) She is too naive to be married to the Count
(d) She is better off without her husband
7. Where have the Wellands gone at the beginning of Chapter 22?
(a) To a luncheon
(b) To the beach
(c) To church
(d) To the opera
8. What surprising news does May have for Newland?
(a) She is leaving him
(b) She wants to redecorate the house
(c) She is pregnant
(d) She has already filed for divorce
9. What mutual confession do Newland and Ellen make?
(a) They both enjoy French cuisine
(b) They both love horse racing
(c) They both hate vacationing in Newport
(d) They have been miserable without each other
10. To what do people point to as the reason for Ellen's improper behavior?
(a) Not having her own personal fortune
(b) Not having gone to finishing school
(c) Having lived in Europe for so long
(d) Having grown up an orphan
11. What does Mrs. Mingott ask of Newland?
(a) Draft a new will for her
(b) Take over her financial portfolio
(c) Host a dinner party for a visiting relative
(d) Convince the family that Ellen should stay in New York
12. Ellen did not announce her intention to return to Europe until ________________________.
(a) The lease on her house had expired
(b) May told her she was pregnant
(c) Count Olenska sent a wire
(d) Mrs. Mingott's health improved
13. Where does Newland go at the beginning of Chapter 23?
(d) New York
14. How are May's dinner conversation skills?
15. What does Mrs. Mingott tell her visitor?
(a) She will use her influence to keep the disgrace out of the press
(b) She will be happy to help in any way she can
(c) She married Mr. Beaufort and she must stick with him through his disgrace
(d) She really does not have time to listen to her problems
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Newland and Ellen agree to do?
2. What secret thought does Newland keep during the dinner?
3. What does Newland tell May after the party?
4. Where is Newland sitting?
5. About what do Newland and Ellen talk?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)