|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what have Newland and May been invited?
(a) A dinner party
(b) The theater
(c) The opera
(d) The races
2. What mutual confession do Newland and Ellen make?
(a) They have been miserable without each other
(b) They both hate vacationing in Newport
(c) They both enjoy French cuisine
(d) They both love horse racing
3. Where does Newland pick up Ellen?
(a) The Ritz
(b) The train station
(c) The Botanical Gardens
(d) The bus terminal
4. Where will Ellen's train arrive?
(b) Jersey City
5. What is the topic of conversation at dinner?
(a) The Easter Parade
(b) The stock market crash
(c) The Beaufort bankruptcy and Ellen
(d) The new theater season
6. Who is Mr. Riviere?
(a) The messenger sent by the Count
(b) Newland's new law partner
(c) May's tennis coach
(d) Newland's financial advisor
7. What is the topic of conversation at dinner?
(a) Opening night of a new Broadway play
(b) The opening of a new museum
(c) How the rules of society have changed
(d) The stock market
8. What does Newland do after breakfast?
(a) Sends a note to Ellen at her hotel
(b) Does some sightseeing
(c) Buys a gift for May
(d) Orders some new suits
9. Who does Newland run into when he returns to New York?
(a) Julius and Regina Beaufort
(b) Mr. van der Luyden
(c) Mr. Riviere
(d) John D. Rockefeller
10. What does Newland discover during the honeymoon?
(a) He has to get used to being married
(b) He wants the marriage annulled
(c) He is madly in love with his new wife
(d) He is disappointed in May
11. How does Newland travel to his destination?
12. What does Newland tell May about his business trip?
(a) It has been cancelled
(b) It has been postponed
(c) He no longer wants to go
(d) He is no longer requried to attend
13. What does Newland tell May after the party?
(a) The party was a great success
(b) He needs a break and needs to go far away
(c) He wants to start a family
(d) He is madly in love with her
14. Why does Mrs. Mingott want Ellen to stay in New York?
(a) To manage her household
(b) To get involved in the arts
(c) To find a new husband
(d) To help care for her
15. What does Mrs. Mingott tell her visitor?
(a) She really does not have time to listen to her problems
(b) She married Mr. Beaufort and she must stick with him through his disgrace
(c) She will use her influence to keep the disgrace out of the press
(d) She will be happy to help in any way she can
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ellen's family now consider her?
2. Why does May not want to attend the event of #92?
3. What is the occasion of the first big event hosted at Newland and May's home?
4. What does Newland tell May to get her to leave with him during the opera?
5. Who had visited Mrs. Mingott the night before to ask for help?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)