|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Newland go after Ellen leaves?
(a) The train station
(b) The natural history museum
(c) The library
(d) The matinee
2. Why is Newland excluded from many family conversations?
(a) He is insensitive
(b) He does not like gossip
(c) He has no patience for them
(d) He is on Ellen's side
3. How did Newland plan to inform May of his plan?
(a) Talk to her before going to bed
(b) Send her a long letter
(c) Talk to her over dinner
(d) Leave her a note
4. What does Newland begin to tell May when they return home?
(a) That they need to host a dinner for the Beauforts
(b) That he loves Ellen
(c) That he needs to find a new doctor
(d) That she looks lovely in her new dress
5. What is Mr. Riviere's belief about Ellen?
(a) She should return to the Count right away
(b) She is better off without her husband
(c) She is a manipulative woman
(d) She is too naive to be married to the Count
6. Newland tells May that he will soon have to travel to ______________ for business.
7. Where do Newland and May spend the summer following their wedding?
(b) Boca Raton
(c) The Keys
8. What is Newland's decision about the horse?
(a) He chooses another horse in the stable
(b) It is not what he was looking for
(c) He buys it on the spot
(d) He wants to get a second opinion before buying it
9. Where have the Wellands gone at the beginning of Chapter 22?
(a) To the beach
(b) To a luncheon
(c) To the opera
(d) To church
10. Ellen did not announce her intention to return to Europe until ________________________.
(a) The lease on her house had expired
(b) Mrs. Mingott's health improved
(c) May told her she was pregnant
(d) Count Olenska sent a wire
11. What does Newland find when he reaches the house where Ellen is staying?
(a) She is in bed with a migraine
(b) She will not see him
(c) She has gone to Boston on a business matter
(d) She is at the beach for the afternoon
12. What is the topic of conversation at dinner?
(a) The opening of a new museum
(b) The stock market
(c) Opening night of a new Broadway play
(d) How the rules of society have changed
13. Where does Newland pick up Ellen?
(a) The bus terminal
(b) The Ritz
(c) The Botanical Gardens
(d) The train station
14. To what have Newland and May been invited?
(a) A dinner party
(b) The theater
(c) The races
(d) The opera
15. With whom does Newland take a trip to Europe?
(c) Mr. van der Luyden
(d) Mrs. Archer
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ellen tell Newland?
2. How did May die?
3. Who requests Newland to visit a few days later?
4. Why does Mrs. Mingott want Ellen to stay in New York?
5. Where has Ellen been living?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)