|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Mingott ask of Newland?
(a) Convince the family that Ellen should stay in New York
(b) Host a dinner party for a visiting relative
(c) Take over her financial portfolio
(d) Draft a new will for her
2. What does May tell Newland when he mentions Ellen?
(a) He and Ellen can rot
(b) Newland will come to his senses in time
(c) Ellen would never hurt her
(d) Ellen is returning to Europe
3. What does Newland tell May after the party?
(a) The party was a great success
(b) He wants to start a family
(c) He is madly in love with her
(d) He needs a break and needs to go far away
4. How does Ellen react when Newland kisses her palm?
(a) She blushes
(b) She kisses his cheek
(c) She tells him to stop
(d) She moves away
5. What is the content of a message Newland receives from May?
(a) Mrs. Mingott had a stroke
(b) She wants him to make dinner reservations
(c) She has broken her leg
(d) The maid just quit
6. What is Newland's response to Ellen's statement about their relationship?
(a) He is instantly angry
(b) He understands but is heartbroken
(c) He cannot understand why she feels the way she does
(d) He wants to go far away so they can be together
7. To what do people point to as the reason for Ellen's improper behavior?
(a) Not having gone to finishing school
(b) Not having her own personal fortune
(c) Having lived in Europe for so long
(d) Having grown up an orphan
8. What does Newland discover during the honeymoon?
(a) He is disappointed in May
(b) He wants the marriage annulled
(c) He has to get used to being married
(d) He is madly in love with his new wife
9. What is Mr. Riviere's belief about Ellen?
(a) She is a manipulative woman
(b) She is too naive to be married to the Count
(c) She is better off without her husband
(d) She should return to the Count right away
10. What decision does Newland make regarding his travel plans?
(a) He revises them to include May
(b) He changes them to a new date
(c) He decides to keep them
(d) He cancels them
11. Who does Mr. Jackson insinuate has been supporting Ellen?
(b) Mr. van der Luyden
(c) Mr. Welland
(d) Julius Beaufort
12. What does Newland reason is the only way Ellen would return to her husband?
(a) If she felt tempted in any way by Newland
(b) If Newland and May were to separate
(c) If her husband came to get her himself
(d) If Ellen inherited Mrs. Mingot's fortune
13. What does Newland hear about the business trip the next day at the office?
(a) It has been postponed
(b) It has been cancelled
(c) Newland no longer is required to attend
(d) The location has changed
14. How are May's dinner conversation skills?
15. Why does Mrs. Mingott know that Newland is on her side?
(a) His name is never mentioned in the family arguments
(b) He has always been extra attentive to her
(c) They are the only ones in the family with any business sense
(d) They are both conservative Republicans
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Newland travel to his destination?
2. In what city is the event of #92?
3. Why is Newland excluded from many family conversations?
4. Who does Newland think of before he goes to sleep?
5. What does Mr. Riviere tell Newland?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)