|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who offers to pick Ellen up at the station?
(b) Julius Beaufort
(c) The butler
(d) Mr. van der Luyden
2. Where do Newland and May go on their honeymoon trip?
3. Newland learns that all New York society thinks he and ______________ are lovers.
(a) Mrs. van der Luyden
(b) Elaine Carnegie
(c) Ellen Olenska
(d) Sara Rockefeller
4. What new game does May enjoy playing?
5. How many years have passed since the last chapter?
6. Newland tells May that he will soon have to travel to ______________ for business.
7. What does Newland begin to tell May when they return home?
(a) That he needs to find a new doctor
(b) That they need to host a dinner for the Beauforts
(c) That he loves Ellen
(d) That she looks lovely in her new dress
8. Why does Mrs. Mingott want Ellen to stay in New York?
(a) To find a new husband
(b) To get involved in the arts
(c) To help care for her
(d) To manage her household
9. What is the content of a message Newland receives from May?
(a) She has broken her leg
(b) The maid just quit
(c) Mrs. Mingott had a stroke
(d) She wants him to make dinner reservations
10. Who does Mr. Jackson insinuate has been supporting Ellen?
(b) Mr. Welland
(c) Mr. van der Luyden
(d) Julius Beaufort
11. What is the source of Mrs. Mingott's illness?
(a) The rumors about Julius Beaufort are true
(b) She has lost her fortune in a bad business deal
(c) Her sister has just died
(d) Ellen has left without saying goodbye
12. Which of the following is not a name of Newland and May's children?
13. What does Newland understand after his conversation with Mrs. Mingott?
(a) He does not want to get that old
(b) He will be the main benefactor in her will
(c) He thinks she is losing her sanity
(d) He is purposely excluded from conversations about Ellen
14. What is Newland's real plan?
(a) To find Ellen
(b) To order a new wardrobe
(c) To buy a hostess gift for Mrs. Welland
(d) To arrange a surprise party for May
15. At whose home do Newland, May, Mrs. Archer, Janey and Mr. Jackson dine before going to the opera?
(a) The MacMillans' home
(b) The Carnegies' home
(c) The Beauforts' home
(d) The van der Luydens' home
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does May not want to attend the event of #92?
2. What decision does Newland make regarding his travel plans?
3. What is Ellen instructed to do?
4. What does Newland tell Ellen?
5. What does Newland's frustration cause him to do?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)