|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Newland's decision about the horse?
(a) It is not what he was looking for
(b) He buys it on the spot
(c) He wants to get a second opinion before buying it
(d) He chooses another horse in the stable
2. What surprising news does May have for Newland?
(a) She has already filed for divorce
(b) She wants to redecorate the house
(c) She is pregnant
(d) She is leaving him
3. How many years have passed since the last chapter?
4. Why does Mrs. Mingott know that Newland is on her side?
(a) They are both conservative Republicans
(b) His name is never mentioned in the family arguments
(c) He has always been extra attentive to her
(d) They are the only ones in the family with any business sense
5. What does Ellen promise Newland?
(a) She will return to her husband
(b) She will not go back to her husband
(c) She will not ask any more favors of Newland
(d) She will not say anything to May
6. What does Newland tell Ellen?
(a) He had made plans to travel to Washington to see her
(b) He has bought another horse
(c) He has started her divorce proceedings
(d) He is leaving May
7. Who does Newland think of before he goes to sleep?
8. Who does Mrs. Mingott send Newland to get?
9. What does Newland's frustration cause him to do?
(a) Slaps Ellen across the cheek
(b) Stops the carriage and gets out in the snow
(c) Begins to cry uncontrollably
(d) Begs Ellen to change her mind
10. Why is Newland excluded from many family conversations?
(a) He does not like gossip
(b) He has no patience for them
(c) He is insensitive
(d) He is on Ellen's side
11. What is Newland's real plan?
(a) To order a new wardrobe
(b) To buy a hostess gift for Mrs. Welland
(c) To arrange a surprise party for May
(d) To find Ellen
12. How did Newland plan to inform May of his plan?
(a) Send her a long letter
(b) Leave her a note
(c) Talk to her before going to bed
(d) Talk to her over dinner
13. Where does Newland go at the beginning of Chapter 23?
(d) New York
14. How did May die?
(a) A car accident
(b) Diabetic complications
(c) A heart attack
(d) Nursing Bill during a bout of pneumonia
15. What secret thought does Newland keep during the dinner?
(a) He is content in his new home
(b) He must have been mad to consider leaving May
(c) Nothing can prevent him from following Ellen to Europe
(d) He is desperately unhappy now that Ellen is leaving
Short Answer Questions
1. About what do Newland and Ellen talk?
2. What new game does May enjoy playing?
3. What does Ellen receive while in Washington?
4. At whose home do Newland, May, Mrs. Archer, Janey and Mr. Jackson dine before going to the opera?
5. Where do Newland and Ellen agree to meet the next day?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)