|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What secret thought does Newland keep during the dinner?
(a) He is desperately unhappy now that Ellen is leaving
(b) Nothing can prevent him from following Ellen to Europe
(c) He is content in his new home
(d) He must have been mad to consider leaving May
2. What does Newland reason is the only way Ellen would return to her husband?
(a) If Ellen inherited Mrs. Mingot's fortune
(b) If her husband came to get her himself
(c) If she felt tempted in any way by Newland
(d) If Newland and May were to separate
3. What is Mr. Riviere's belief about Ellen?
(a) She is a manipulative woman
(b) She should return to the Count right away
(c) She is too naive to be married to the Count
(d) She is better off without her husband
4. What mutual confession do Newland and Ellen make?
(a) They have been miserable without each other
(b) They both love horse racing
(c) They both enjoy French cuisine
(d) They both hate vacationing in Newport
5. How are May's dinner conversation skills?
6. Who requests Newland to visit a few days later?
(a) Mrs. Beaufort
(b) Mrs. Mingott
(c) Mrs. van der Luyden
(d) Mrs. Welland
7. What is the source of Mrs. Mingott's illness?
(a) Her sister has just died
(b) The rumors about Julius Beaufort are true
(c) She has lost her fortune in a bad business deal
(d) Ellen has left without saying goodbye
8. Newland learns that all New York society thinks he and ______________ are lovers.
(a) Mrs. van der Luyden
(b) Ellen Olenska
(c) Sara Rockefeller
(d) Elaine Carnegie
9. Which of the following is not a name of Newland and May's children?
10. How did Newland plan to inform May of his plan?
(a) Send her a long letter
(b) Talk to her before going to bed
(c) Talk to her over dinner
(d) Leave her a note
11. What does Mrs. Mingott tell her visitor?
(a) She will be happy to help in any way she can
(b) She married Mr. Beaufort and she must stick with him through his disgrace
(c) She really does not have time to listen to her problems
(d) She will use her influence to keep the disgrace out of the press
12. What does Mr. Riviere tell Newland?
(a) He has theater tickets for him
(b) His finances are in dire need of attention
(c) He has an opera box for him
(d) The Count wants her to return
13. What is Newland's secret plan?
(a) To alter Mrs. Mingott's will to exclude Ellen
(b) Find out where Ellen plans to travel and go with her
(c) To have an affair with Ellen
(d) To leave the law firm
14. What is Ellen instructed to do?
(a) Return to New York within 24 hours
(b) Buy some new evening gowns
(c) Obtain theater tickets
(d) Meet with her minister
15. Where does Newland go after Ellen leaves?
(a) The library
(b) The matinee
(c) The natural history museum
(d) The train station
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Newland tell Ellen?
2. What is the topic of conversation at dinner?
3. Why does Ellen not pursue a relationship with Newland?
4. Why does May not want to attend the event of #92?
5. Where do Newland and May spend the summer following their wedding?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)