|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What secret thought does Newland keep during the dinner?
(a) He is desperately unhappy now that Ellen is leaving
(b) Nothing can prevent him from following Ellen to Europe
(c) He is content in his new home
(d) He must have been mad to consider leaving May
2. Why does May not want to attend the event of #92?
(a) She does not know what to wear or what to say
(b) She has a migraine
(c) She is too tired
(d) She cannot get used to the time change
3. Why does Mrs. Mingott know that Newland is on her side?
(a) They are the only ones in the family with any business sense
(b) He has always been extra attentive to her
(c) They are both conservative Republicans
(d) His name is never mentioned in the family arguments
4. What do Newland and Ellen agree to do?
(a) Meet the day after next for a romantic encounter
(b) Never see each other again
(c) Reveal their deception to May
(d) Run away to France together
5. Newland learns that all New York society thinks he and ______________ are lovers.
(a) Sara Rockefeller
(b) Mrs. van der Luyden
(c) Ellen Olenska
(d) Elaine Carnegie
6. What surprising news does May have for Newland?
(a) She has already filed for divorce
(b) She is leaving him
(c) She wants to redecorate the house
(d) She is pregnant
7. Ellen did not announce her intention to return to Europe until ________________________.
(a) May told her she was pregnant
(b) Count Olenska sent a wire
(c) Mrs. Mingott's health improved
(d) The lease on her house had expired
8. What does Ellen ask of Newland?
(a) That they keep their relationship proper
(b) That he divorce May
(c) That he loan her some money
(d) That he help her get a divorce
9. Who does Newland run into when he returns to New York?
(a) John D. Rockefeller
(b) Mr. van der Luyden
(c) Julius and Regina Beaufort
(d) Mr. Riviere
10. To what do people point to as the reason for Ellen's improper behavior?
(a) Having grown up an orphan
(b) Not having gone to finishing school
(c) Not having her own personal fortune
(d) Having lived in Europe for so long
11. What does Newland tell May about his business trip?
(a) It has been postponed
(b) He no longer wants to go
(c) It has been cancelled
(d) He is no longer requried to attend
12. What is Ellen instructed to do?
(a) Obtain theater tickets
(b) Return to New York within 24 hours
(c) Buy some new evening gowns
(d) Meet with her minister
13. What does Ellen's family now consider her?
(a) A delight
(b) A godsend
(c) A blessing
(d) An inconvenience
14. What is the source of Mrs. Mingott's illness?
(a) Her sister has just died
(b) The rumors about Julius Beaufort are true
(c) She has lost her fortune in a bad business deal
(d) Ellen has left without saying goodbye
15. What is the occasion of the first big event hosted at Newland and May's home?
(a) A going away party for Countess Olenska
(b) A bon voyage party for the Beauforts
(c) A birthday party for Mrs. Archer
(d) An anniversary party for the Wellands
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Newland understand after his conversation with Mrs. Mingott?
2. What new game does May enjoy playing?
3. How did Newland plan to inform May of his plan?
4. Who had visited Mrs. Mingott the night before to ask for help?
5. Who does Mrs. Mingott send Newland to get?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)