|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what do people point to as the reason for Ellen's improper behavior?
(a) Having lived in Europe for so long
(b) Not having her own personal fortune
(c) Having grown up an orphan
(d) Not having gone to finishing school
2. How many years have passed since the last chapter?
3. Where does Newland go at the beginning of Chapter 23?
(c) New York
4. What does Ellen's family now consider her?
(a) A delight
(b) A godsend
(c) An inconvenience
(d) A blessing
5. What does Newland's frustration cause him to do?
(a) Begins to cry uncontrollably
(b) Stops the carriage and gets out in the snow
(c) Slaps Ellen across the cheek
(d) Begs Ellen to change her mind
6. Who does Newland run into when he returns to New York?
(a) Julius and Regina Beaufort
(b) Mr. Riviere
(c) John D. Rockefeller
(d) Mr. van der Luyden
7. What does Newland find when he reaches the house where Ellen is staying?
(a) She is at the beach for the afternoon
(b) She will not see him
(c) She has gone to Boston on a business matter
(d) She is in bed with a migraine
8. How did May die?
(a) Nursing Bill during a bout of pneumonia
(b) A heart attack
(c) Diabetic complications
(d) A car accident
9. What does Ellen receive while in Washington?
(a) Yellow roses
(b) A birthday card
(c) A divorce decree
(d) A telegram
10. What does Ellen ask of Newland?
(a) That he help her get a divorce
(b) That he divorce May
(c) That they keep their relationship proper
(d) That he loan her some money
11. Where do Newland and May go on their honeymoon trip?
12. What does Mrs. Mingott ask of Newland?
(a) Draft a new will for her
(b) Take over her financial portfolio
(c) Convince the family that Ellen should stay in New York
(d) Host a dinner party for a visiting relative
13. Who does Mr. Jackson insinuate has been supporting Ellen?
(a) Mr. van der Luyden
(b) Julius Beaufort
(c) Mr. Welland
14. Why does Ellen not pursue a relationship with Newland?
(a) She is in love with someone else
(b) She does not want to hurt May
(c) She does not want to leave her husband
(d) She is returning to Europe
15. Who does Newland think of before he goes to sleep?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the source of Mrs. Mingott's illness?
2. Who is having dinner with Mrs. Archer, Janey, Newland and May?
3. Where does Newland pick up Ellen?
4. Newland learns that all New York society thinks he and ______________ are lovers.
5. What do Newland and May do at the beginning of Chapter 24?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)