|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Newland learns that all New York society thinks he and ______________ are lovers.
(a) Elaine Carnegie
(b) Sara Rockefeller
(c) Mrs. van der Luyden
(d) Ellen Olenska
2. To what do people point to as the reason for Ellen's improper behavior?
(a) Having grown up an orphan
(b) Not having gone to finishing school
(c) Not having her own personal fortune
(d) Having lived in Europe for so long
3. How are May's dinner conversation skills?
4. What is Ellen instructed to do?
(a) Return to New York within 24 hours
(b) Meet with her minister
(c) Buy some new evening gowns
(d) Obtain theater tickets
5. What does Ellen tell Newland about their relationship?
(a) She is considering having an affair with him
(b) She wants him no matter who gets hurt
(c) She wants to make her husband jealous
(d) She will not have an affair with him and hurt May
6. What decision does Newland make regarding his travel plans?
(a) He revises them to include May
(b) He changes them to a new date
(c) He decides to keep them
(d) He cancels them
7. What does Newland not understand about Ellen's behavior?
(a) She is wearing extremely provocative clothing
(b) She is learning to speak Spanish
(c) She is staying in New York despite the fact that Mrs. Mingott is better
(d) She is starting divorce proceedings again
8. What does Ellen ask of Newland?
(a) That he help her get a divorce
(b) That he divorce May
(c) That they keep their relationship proper
(d) That he loan her some money
9. What does May tell Newland when he mentions Ellen?
(a) Newland will come to his senses in time
(b) He and Ellen can rot
(c) Ellen would never hurt her
(d) Ellen is returning to Europe
10. What decision does Newland make?
(a) To divorce May
(b) To buy two horses
(c) To stop seeing Ellen
(d) To go to Boston the next day
11. What is the source of Mrs. Mingott's illness?
(a) Her sister has just died
(b) She has lost her fortune in a bad business deal
(c) Ellen has left without saying goodbye
(d) The rumors about Julius Beaufort are true
12. Where have the Wellands gone at the beginning of Chapter 22?
(a) To a luncheon
(b) To the opera
(c) To the beach
(d) To church
13. What does Newland discover during the honeymoon?
(a) He is disappointed in May
(b) He wants the marriage annulled
(c) He is madly in love with his new wife
(d) He has to get used to being married
14. Why does May not want to attend the event of #92?
(a) She is too tired
(b) She has a migraine
(c) She cannot get used to the time change
(d) She does not know what to wear or what to say
15. What does Ellen receive while in Washington?
(a) A divorce decree
(b) A telegram
(c) A birthday card
(d) Yellow roses
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Newland and May do at the beginning of Chapter 24?
2. What does Newland tell May about his business trip?
3. Why does Mrs. Mingott want Ellen to stay in New York?
4. Who does Newland run into when he returns to New York?
5. What do Newland and Ellen agree to do?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)