|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the Wellands go on their annual vacation?
(c) The Bahamas
2. Who had sent the object in #79?
(a) Count Oleska
(b) Newland Archer
(c) Mr. van der Luyden
(d) Julius Beaufort
3. With whom did Newland have an affair at one time?
(a) Christine Beaufort
(b) Elaine van der Luyden
(c) A married woman
(d) Ellen Olenska
4. What social impropriety does Ellen commit at the dinner party?
(a) She chews with her mouth open
(b) She approaches Newland to talk to him instead of being approached by him
(c) She doesn't know which fork to use for her salad
(d) She drinks from the finger bowl
5. What does the telegram say?
(a) The Wellands have invited Ellen to visit them in Florida
(b) The Wellands want May to break her engagement to Newland
(c) The Wellands are returning from their vacation earlier than expected
(d) The Wellands have agreed to let May marry Newland soon
6. What does Newland ask Ellen?
(a) If she would like to go to dinner
(b) If he can see her the following night
(c) If she likes the roses he sends
(d) If she still wants to divorce her husband
7. What is the law firm's position on the divorce?
(a) The request should be cancelled
(b) They have a conflict of interest
(c) It is a presitigious case
(d) They will not make any money on it
8. What does Ellen tell Newland before leaving?
(a) That she is sorry that they had not met many years ago
(b) That she enjoyed his company at dinner
(c) That she thinks he is very handsome
(d) That she expects he will call on her the next evening
9. Who hosts Newland and May at their accommodations?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. van der Luyden
(b) Count and Countess Olenska
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Welland
(d) Julius and Regina Beaufort
10. Who interrupts the conversation between Newland and Ellen?
(a) May Welland
(b) Regina Beaufort
(c) The maid
(d) The Duke of St. Austrey
11. What does Newland ask Mrs. Mingott to do?
(a) Convince the Wellands to let Newland and May marry soon
(b) Host a party for the Wellands
(c) Give him advice about Ellen
(d) Convince the family to allow Ellen to divorce her husband
12. Where do Newland and May spend the first few days of their marriage?
(a) The Patroon House
(b) The Four Seasons
(d) The Ritz
13. What type of flowers does Newland send Ellen?
(a) Pink carnations
(b) Purple hyacinths
(c) Yellow roses
(d) Blue hydrangeas
14. What surprises Newland when he arrives at Ellen's the next evening?
(a) The door is locked and the house is dark
(b) She has gone to the theater
(c) She already has guests
(d) She is in bed with a migraine
15. Which controversial Mingott family member arrives at the opera?
(a) Janey Welland
(b) Ellen van der Luyden
(c) Countess Ellen Olenska
(d) May Mingott
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the popular rumor already in existence about Ellen?
2. Where does Newland go at the beginning of Chapter 12?
3. What question does Ellen ask of Newland?
4. What does Newland think of his fiancee, May Welland?
5. Ellen sends Newland a note saying that she "ran away" to "______________________."
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)