|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ellen's aunt tells her that someone has sent her ______________________.
(a) a necklace
(b) a new hat
(c) a bouquet
(d) theater tickets
2. Why do the Wellands choose the location for their vacation?
(a) The air is beneficial for Mr. Welland's health
(b) They have an estate there
(c) They keep horses there
(d) They have a vineyard there
3. Who has been asked to handle the divorce case?
(a) Mr. Welland
(b) Newland Archer
(c) Julius Beaufort
(d) Mr. van der Luyden
4. What does Newland consider his marriage to May to be?
(a) A life of passion
(b) A marriage of convenience
(c) The perfect arrangement
(d) A match made in heaven
5. Who interrupts the conversation between Newland and Ellen?
(a) May Welland
(b) The Duke of St. Austrey
(c) The maid
(d) Regina Beaufort
6. Where do the Wellands go on their annual vacation?
(b) The Bahamas
7. Where do Newland and May spend the first few days of their marriage?
(b) The Four Seasons
(c) The Patroon House
(d) The Ritz
8. Who do Newland and May visit first on their betrothal visits?
(a) Countess Olenska
(b) Mrs. Archer
(c) Mrs. Mingott
(d) Mrs. Welland
9. What social impropriety does Ellen commit at the dinner party?
(a) She doesn't know which fork to use for her salad
(b) She drinks from the finger bowl
(c) She approaches Newland to talk to him instead of being approached by him
(d) She chews with her mouth open
10. What does May suspect about Newland?
(a) That he is still in love with another woman
(b) That he is having second thoughts about marrying her
(c) That he is having financial problems
(d) That he is gay
11. Why does Mrs. Mingott not leave her house?
(a) She is too obese
(b) She is paralyzed
(c) She is a hermit
(d) She is blind
12. What type of flowers does Newland send Ellen?
(a) Purple hyacinths
(b) Yellow roses
(c) Pink carnations
(d) Blue hydrangeas
13. What does Newland pressure May to do?
(a) Convince her parents to let them marry soon
(b) Return to New York with him
(c) Reduce the size of the wedding
(d) Elope as soon as possible
14. What does Newland caution Ellen about regarding the divorce?
(a) It may take a little longer than she thinks
(b) Her husband will never agree to it
(c) Public accusations will ensue
(d) She will not get what she deserves
15. For what does Newland push?
(a) A month-long honeymoon
(b) A small wedding
(c) A shorter betrothal
(d) An elopement
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Newland and Mrs. Archer visit in Chapter 7?
2. What does Newland search for the next morning but cannot find?
3. What type of flowers does Newland send to Ellen that night?
4. What does Newland send to Ellen?
5. What does Newland ask Ellen?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)