|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do the van der Luydens agree to include in an upcoming dinner party?
(a) The Astors
(b) Countess Olenska
(c) The Beauforts
(d) Newland and May
2. Who does Newland discover is visiting Ellen?
(a) Mr. Beaufort
(b) Mr. MacKenzie
(c) Mr. Welland
(d) Mr. Astor
3. For what does Newland push?
(a) A month-long honeymoon
(b) A shorter betrothal
(c) An elopement
(d) A small wedding
4. What does Ellen tell Newland?
(a) She is in love with him
(b) She knows he is sending her the flowers
(c) She thinks he should not marry May
(d) She is reconciling with her husband
5. Who is the main character who arrives late at the opera?
(a) Newland Archer
(b) Mrs. Manson Mingott
(c) Janey Archer
(d) Henry van der Luyden
6. Who does Newland visit when he returns to New York?
(a) Mrs. Beaufort
(b) Mrs. Mingott
(c) Mrs. Welland
(d) Mrs. van der Luyden
7. Who does Newland see on his way out of Mrs. Mingott's house?
(a) Mrs. Welland
(b) Mrs. van der Luyden
(c) Ellen Olenska
(d) Regina Beaufort
8. What does Newland consider his job to be regarding May?
(a) To buy her a new wardrobe each season
(b) To provide the biggest house he can
(c) To expose her to more of the arts
(d) Make sure she cultivates her own opinions and expresses them
9. What type of people live in the area where Ellen lives?
(a) Writers and artists
(b) Hispanic people
(c) Black people
(d) Wealthy people
10. In what decade does this story begin?
11. Who interrupts the conversation between Newland and Ellen?
(a) May Welland
(b) The Duke of St. Austrey
(c) The maid
(d) Regina Beaufort
12. What does Newland pressure May to do?
(a) Reduce the size of the wedding
(b) Convince her parents to let them marry soon
(c) Return to New York with him
(d) Elope as soon as possible
13. Where do the Wellands go on their annual vacation?
(a) The Bahamas
14. Who had sent the object in #79?
(a) Mr. van der Luyden
(b) Newland Archer
(c) Count Oleska
(d) Julius Beaufort
15. What does the telegram say?
(a) The Wellands have invited Ellen to visit them in Florida
(b) The Wellands want May to break her engagement to Newland
(c) The Wellands are returning from their vacation earlier than expected
(d) The Wellands have agreed to let May marry Newland soon
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Newland search for the next morning but cannot find?
2. Who hosts Newland and May at their accommodations?
3. With whom did Newland have an affair at one time?
4. What convinces May that Newland wants to marry her?
5. Who sends a telegram to Ellen?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)