|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of flowers does Newland send to Ellen that night?
(d) Lilies of the Valley
2. What does Newland pressure May to do?
(a) Elope as soon as possible
(b) Reduce the size of the wedding
(c) Convince her parents to let them marry soon
(d) Return to New York with him
3. Who has filed a petition for divorce in Chapter 11?
(a) Ellen Olenska
(b) Janey Archer
(c) Mrs. Welland
(d) Regina Beaufort
4. What do Newland and May do at the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) Plan their honeymoon
(b) Go to the theater
(c) Take a walk in the park
(d) Take dancing lessons
5. Who hosts the event in Chapter 3?
(a) Mrs. Manson Mingott
(b) Countess Ellen Olenska
(c) Mrs. Archer
(d) Julius and Regina Beaufort
6. What does the telegram say?
(a) The Wellands have invited Ellen to visit them in Florida
(b) The Wellands are returning from their vacation earlier than expected
(c) The Wellands have agreed to let May marry Newland soon
(d) The Wellands want May to break her engagement to Newland
7. What convinces May that Newland wants to marry her?
(a) He denies any allegations
(b) He gets down on one knee
(c) He cries when she questions him
(d) He tells her he will do anything she wants
8. What is the general consensus about Countess Olenska?
(a) She is extremely beautiful
(b) She is a valuable fundraiser
(c) She is a welcome change of pace
(d) She is an undesirable person
9. What question does Ellen ask of Newland?
(a) If his firm will handle her divorce
(b) If he will help her find a house
(c) If he will sit by her at dinner
(d) Whether his engagement to May is a love match
10. Who had sent the object in #79?
(a) Mr. van der Luyden
(b) Newland Archer
(c) Julius Beaufort
(d) Count Oleska
11. For what does Newland push?
(a) A shorter betrothal
(b) A month-long honeymoon
(c) An elopement
(d) A small wedding
12. What does Ellen say she will gain through the divorce?
(a) Her freedom
(b) An art collection
(c) An estate
(d) Her jewels
13. What does the answer to #73 ask Newland?
(a) What are his career goals
(b) Why he did not marry Ellen
(c) Where he proposed to May
(d) Where he and May will live
14. What type of people live in the area where Ellen lives?
(a) Black people
(b) Hispanic people
(c) Writers and artists
(d) Wealthy people
15. Who do Newland and May visit first on their betrothal visits?
(a) Mrs. Archer
(b) Countess Olenska
(c) Mrs. Welland
(d) Mrs. Mingott
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Newland see on his way out of Mrs. Mingott's house?
2. Who is Newland Archer's fiancee?
3. Who sends a telegram to Ellen?
4. What does Newland do when he sees that Ellen already has a visitor?
5. Who interrupts the conversation between Newland and Ellen?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)