|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom did Newland have an affair at one time?
(a) Elaine van der Luyden
(b) Christine Beaufort
(c) A married woman
(d) Ellen Olenska
2. What does Newland tell Ellen about May?
(a) She is having her wedding dress custom designed
(b) She is still in Florida
(c) She is inviting Ellen to the wedding
(d) That May thinks Newland is in love with someone else
3. Of what action of Ellen's does Newland approve?
(a) Using her inheritance
(b) Getting a divorce
(c) Buying a new wardrobe
(d) Purchasing a home
4. What type of flowers does Newland send to Ellen that night?
(c) Lilies of the Valley
5. Who does Newland visit when he returns to New York?
(a) Mrs. Mingott
(b) Mrs. Welland
(c) Mrs. van der Luyden
(d) Mrs. Beaufort
6. Why does Mrs. Mingott not leave her house?
(a) She is too obese
(b) She is paralyzed
(c) She is blind
(d) She is a hermit
7. What type of people live in the area where Ellen lives?
(a) Black people
(b) Hispanic people
(c) Writers and artists
(d) Wealthy people
8. What is the event of the season?
(a) The van der Luyden's ball
(b) The Beaufort's ball
(c) Elaine Astor's wedding
(d) Newland and May's wedding
9. On what issue does Newland press May?
(a) Getting her parents to agree to a shorter engagement
(b) Living in Europe for a couple years
(c) Moving to a smaller apartment
(d) Getting May to agree to elope
10. Who had sent the object in #79?
(a) Mr. van der Luyden
(b) Count Oleska
(c) Julius Beaufort
(d) Newland Archer
11. Ellen sends Newland a letter asking him _________________________________.
(a) to stop sending the flowers
(b) to give her some advice on investments
(c) to start the divorce proceedings
(d) to visit her the following night
12. Who wants the divorce case to be dropped?
(a) Mrs. van der Luyden
(b) Janey Archer
(c) Ellen's family
(d) Julius Beaufort
13. How does Ellen Olenska appear to Newland when he sees her at a dinner party?
(a) Much younger than she looked before
(b) Tired and drawn
(c) Tan and energetic
(d) Pale and older than her age
14. In what city does the story take place?
(b) New York City
(d) New Orleans
15. What does Newland search for the next morning but cannot find?
(a) Pink roses
(b) Yellow roses
(c) Red roses
(d) White roses
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Newland Archer's fiancee?
2. What does Newland do when he sees that Ellen already has a visitor?
3. What is the popular rumor already in existence about Ellen?
4. What surprises Newland when he arrives at Ellen's the next evening?
5. For what does Newland push?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)