|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Newland consider his marriage to May to be?
(a) A match made in heaven
(b) The perfect arrangement
(c) A marriage of convenience
(d) A life of passion
2. What is the event of the season?
(a) Newland and May's wedding
(b) The Beaufort's ball
(c) Elaine Astor's wedding
(d) The van der Luyden's ball
3. What does Newland tell May?
(a) He sent flowers to Ellen
(b) He is going out of town for a few days
(c) He has his wedding guest list finished
(d) He found them a great apartment
4. Who does Newland discover is visiting Ellen?
(a) Mr. Astor
(b) Mr. MacKenzie
(c) Mr. Welland
(d) Mr. Beaufort
5. In what city is Newland and May's wedding held?
(a) Boca Raton
(d) New York
6. What surprises Newland when he arrives at Ellen's the next evening?
(a) The door is locked and the house is dark
(b) She already has guests
(c) She has gone to the theater
(d) She is in bed with a migraine
7. How does May react to Newland's request?
(a) She is depressed
(b) She is shocked
(c) She is reluctant
(d) She is really happy
8. Where does Newland go the next day?
9. Which controversial Mingott family member arrives at the opera?
(a) Ellen van der Luyden
(b) Janey Welland
(c) May Mingott
(d) Countess Ellen Olenska
10. What is the law firm's position on the divorce?
(a) It is a presitigious case
(b) They have a conflict of interest
(c) They will not make any money on it
(d) The request should be cancelled
11. What does Newland pressure May to do?
(a) Convince her parents to let them marry soon
(b) Reduce the size of the wedding
(c) Elope as soon as possible
(d) Return to New York with him
12. Where is Newland sitting at the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) At dinner with May
(b) At his desk at home
(c) In his office
(d) The Mingott family opera box
13. Who does not attend Newland and May's wedding?
(a) The van der Luydens
(b) Count Oleska
(c) Countess Oleska
(d) The Astors
14. Where do the Wellands go on their annual vacation?
(a) The Bahamas
15. Who interrupts the conversation between Newland and Ellen?
(a) The maid
(b) The Duke of St. Austrey
(c) Regina Beaufort
(d) May Welland
Short Answer Questions
1. What is May's position on the length of their engagement?
2. With whom did Newland have an affair at one time?
3. What does Newland tell Ellen about May?
4. Where does Newland go at the beginning of Chapter 12?
5. Where does Newland spend the weekend?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)