|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Newland Archer's fiancee?
(a) Janey Welland
(b) May Welland
(c) Ellen Olenska
(d) Elaine van der Luyden
2. Who wants the divorce case to be dropped?
(a) Janey Archer
(b) Julius Beaufort
(c) Ellen's family
(d) Mrs. van der Luyden
3. What does Newland send to Ellen?
(a) Pink roses
(b) A note
(d) Theater tickets
4. What does Newland ask Ellen?
(a) If she would like to go to dinner
(b) If he can see her the following night
(c) If she still wants to divorce her husband
(d) If she likes the roses he sends
5. What does Newland think of his fiancee, May Welland?
(a) She is cunning and manipulative
(b) She is beautiful and innocent
(c) She is dull
(d) She is brilliant
6. What convinces May that Newland wants to marry her?
(a) He gets down on one knee
(b) He denies any allegations
(c) He tells her he will do anything she wants
(d) He cries when she questions him
7. What is Skuytercliff?
(a) A resort area
(b) The van der Luyden's country estate
(c) The Welland family estate
(d) Julius Beaufort's yacht
8. Which controversial Mingott family member arrives at the opera?
(a) Countess Ellen Olenska
(b) May Mingott
(c) Ellen van der Luyden
(d) Janey Welland
9. Who has been asked to handle the divorce case?
(a) Mr. van der Luyden
(b) Julius Beaufort
(c) Newland Archer
(d) Mr. Welland
10. Where do Newland and May spend the first few days of their marriage?
(a) The Four Seasons
(b) The Patroon House
(d) The Ritz
11. What does Newland ask Mrs. Mingott to do?
(a) Convince the family to allow Ellen to divorce her husband
(b) Host a party for the Wellands
(c) Convince the Wellands to let Newland and May marry soon
(d) Give him advice about Ellen
12. Where does Newland go the next day?
13. In what decade does this story begin?
14. With whom did Newland have an affair at one time?
(a) A married woman
(b) Elaine van der Luyden
(c) Christine Beaufort
(d) Ellen Olenska
15. What does the answer to #73 ask Newland?
(a) Why he did not marry Ellen
(b) What are his career goals
(c) Where he proposed to May
(d) Where he and May will live
Short Answer Questions
1. How does May react to Newland's request?
2. Of what action of Ellen's does Newland approve?
3. Where is Newland sitting at the beginning of Chapter 13?
4. What is the event of the season?
5. Who dines at the Archer household the night after the ball?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)