|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Newland caution Ellen about regarding the divorce?
(a) She will not get what she deserves
(b) Public accusations will ensue
(c) Her husband will never agree to it
(d) It may take a little longer than she thinks
2. Who interrupts the conversation between Newland and Ellen?
(a) The Duke of St. Austrey
(b) The maid
(c) Regina Beaufort
(d) May Welland
3. How does Ellen Olenska appear to Newland when he sees her at a dinner party?
(a) Tired and drawn
(b) Much younger than she looked before
(c) Pale and older than her age
(d) Tan and energetic
4. What else does Newland tell Ellen?
(a) May does not really like Ellen
(b) May has broken the engagement
(c) Ellen is the woman he would like to marry if it were possible
(d) May wants to live in Florida
5. What is the general consensus about Countess Olenska?
(a) She is a welcome change of pace
(b) She is an undesirable person
(c) She is a valuable fundraiser
(d) She is extremely beautiful
6. Who does Newland discover is visiting Ellen?
(a) Mr. Astor
(b) Mr. Beaufort
(c) Mr. Welland
(d) Mr. MacKenzie
7. What is Newland pleasantly surprised to find out about Ellen?
(a) She is very opinionated
(b) She is in love with him
(c) She has decided to stay
(d) She wants him to represent her
8. What is the popular rumor already in existence about Ellen?
(a) She had an illegitimate child
(b) She used to work in burlesque
(c) She ran off with her husband's secretary
(d) She had a sexually transmitted disease
9. What does Ellen say she will gain through the divorce?
(a) Her jewels
(b) An estate
(c) An art collection
(d) Her freedom
10. What is Skuytercliff?
(a) The Welland family estate
(b) Julius Beaufort's yacht
(c) The van der Luyden's country estate
(d) A resort area
11. What type of flowers does Newland send Ellen?
(a) Yellow roses
(b) Purple hyacinths
(c) Blue hydrangeas
(d) Pink carnations
12. What does Newland ask Ellen?
(a) If she would like to go to dinner
(b) If he can see her the following night
(c) If she likes the roses he sends
(d) If she still wants to divorce her husband
13. Ellen's aunt tells her that someone has sent her ______________________.
(a) a bouquet
(b) a necklace
(c) a new hat
(d) theater tickets
14. Who does Newland visit when he returns to New York?
(a) Mrs. Mingott
(b) Mrs. Welland
(c) Mrs. Beaufort
(d) Mrs. van der Luyden
15. What does Newland consider his job to be regarding May?
(a) Make sure she cultivates her own opinions and expresses them
(b) To expose her to more of the arts
(c) To provide the biggest house he can
(d) To buy her a new wardrobe each season
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Newland's objection to handling the divorce?
2. What does Newland consider his marriage to May to be?
3. What is the event of the season?
4. What does Newland think of his fiancee, May Welland?
5. What type of people live in the area where Ellen lives?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)