|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises Newland when he arrives at Ellen's the next evening?
(a) She has gone to the theater
(b) The door is locked and the house is dark
(c) She is in bed with a migraine
(d) She already has guests
2. What frustrates Newland about May?
(a) She bites her nails
(b) She wants a bigger engagement ring
(c) She has a grating laugh
(d) She always relies on the opinions of her parents or him
3. Who is the main character who arrives late at the opera?
(a) Henry van der Luyden
(b) Mrs. Manson Mingott
(c) Janey Archer
(d) Newland Archer
4. What is May's position on the length of their engagement?
(a) She would also prefer a shorter engagement
(b) She is ready to call off the engagement
(c) She is ready to elope at any time
(d) A long engagement is expected in their social class
5. On what issue does Newland press May?
(a) Getting her parents to agree to a shorter engagement
(b) Getting May to agree to elope
(c) Living in Europe for a couple years
(d) Moving to a smaller apartment
6. With whom did Newland have an affair at one time?
(a) Christine Beaufort
(b) Ellen Olenska
(c) A married woman
(d) Elaine van der Luyden
7. What type of flowers does Newland send Ellen?
(a) Yellow roses
(b) Blue hydrangeas
(c) Purple hyacinths
(d) Pink carnations
8. What do Newland and May do at the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) Take dancing lessons
(b) Take a walk in the park
(c) Plan their honeymoon
(d) Go to the theater
9. Why is Ellen's family pleased with Newland?
(a) He has convinced Ellen to drop the divorce
(b) He sends flowers to Ellen
(c) He helped Ellen find a house
(d) He helped Ellen with her finances
10. What does Ellen do when Newland asks her to stop the divorce petition?
(a) She asks Newland to leave
(b) She says she will hire a different attorney
(c) She storms out of the room
(d) She abruptly agrees with him
11. Ellen's aunt tells her that someone has sent her ______________________.
(a) a necklace
(b) a bouquet
(c) theater tickets
(d) a new hat
12. Who sends a telegram to Ellen?
(a) Mrs. Welland
(c) Mrs. van der Luyden
13. Who does Newland see on his way out of Mrs. Mingott's house?
(a) Regina Beaufort
(b) Mrs. Welland
(c) Ellen Olenska
(d) Mrs. van der Luyden
14. What else does Newland tell Ellen?
(a) May has broken the engagement
(b) Ellen is the woman he would like to marry if it were possible
(c) May does not really like Ellen
(d) May wants to live in Florida
15. What convinces May that Newland wants to marry her?
(a) He tells her he will do anything she wants
(b) He cries when she questions him
(c) He denies any allegations
(d) He gets down on one knee
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Mingott not leave her house?
2. Who do the van der Luydens agree to include in an upcoming dinner party?
3. What does Newland ask Ellen?
4. What does the telegram say?
5. Who wants the divorce case to be dropped?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)