|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the Wellands choose the location for their vacation?
(a) They have a vineyard there
(b) The air is beneficial for Mr. Welland's health
(c) They have an estate there
(d) They keep horses there
2. What does May ask Newland?
(a) If there is another woman in the picture
(b) If she can get some new clothes
(c) If they can change their honeymoon destination
(d) If she can get a different engagement ring
3. What does the telegram say?
(a) The Wellands have agreed to let May marry Newland soon
(b) The Wellands are returning from their vacation earlier than expected
(c) The Wellands want May to break her engagement to Newland
(d) The Wellands have invited Ellen to visit them in Florida
4. What is May's position on the length of their engagement?
(a) She is ready to call off the engagement
(b) A long engagement is expected in their social class
(c) She would also prefer a shorter engagement
(d) She is ready to elope at any time
5. What does Newland consider his marriage to May to be?
(a) A marriage of convenience
(b) The perfect arrangement
(c) A life of passion
(d) A match made in heaven
6. What does Newland tell Ellen about May?
(a) She is having her wedding dress custom designed
(b) She is inviting Ellen to the wedding
(c) That May thinks Newland is in love with someone else
(d) She is still in Florida
7. Who is a guest at Skuytercliff?
(b) Mrs. Mingott
8. What is the general consensus about Countess Olenska?
(a) She is an undesirable person
(b) She is a welcome change of pace
(c) She is extremely beautiful
(d) She is a valuable fundraiser
9. With whom did Newland have an affair at one time?
(a) Elaine van der Luyden
(b) A married woman
(c) Christine Beaufort
(d) Ellen Olenska
10. What question does Ellen ask of Newland?
(a) If he will help her find a house
(b) If his firm will handle her divorce
(c) If he will sit by her at dinner
(d) Whether his engagement to May is a love match
11. What does Ellen tell Newland?
(a) She is reconciling with her husband
(b) She is in love with him
(c) She thinks he should not marry May
(d) She knows he is sending her the flowers
12. Chapter 19 marks the beginning of _____________________.
(a) Book Two
(b) The Reconstruction
(c) The War of 1812
(d) The Civil War
13. What is Newland's objection to handling the divorce?
(a) He is practically family
(b) He has a conflict of interest
(c) He does not handle divorce cases
(d) His case load is too heavy
14. Which controversial Mingott family member arrives at the opera?
(a) Countess Ellen Olenska
(b) May Mingott
(c) Ellen van der Luyden
(d) Janey Welland
15. What does the answer to #73 ask Newland?
(a) Why he did not marry Ellen
(b) Where he proposed to May
(c) What are his career goals
(d) Where he and May will live
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Newland consider his job to be regarding May?
2. For what reason does Newland approve of the divorce?
3. What does Newland search for the next morning but cannot find?
4. What is the law firm's position on the divorce?
5. Who had sent the object in #79?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)