|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Newland told when he arrives at Ellen's house?
(a) She is out and will return soon
(b) She has another visitor
(c) She is ill
(d) She went to the theater
2. What does Newland caution Ellen about regarding the divorce?
(a) She will not get what she deserves
(b) It may take a little longer than she thinks
(c) Her husband will never agree to it
(d) Public accusations will ensue
3. What is the opera being produced as the story begins?
(b) Madame Butterfly
4. Where do Newland and May spend the first few days of their marriage?
(a) The Four Seasons
(b) The Patroon House
(c) The Ritz
5. What is the event that occurs in Chapter 3?
(a) The Christmas Bazaar
(b) The Easter Parade
(c) The Nutcracker Ballet
(d) Annual Beaufort Ball
6. For what does Newland push?
(a) A small wedding
(b) A shorter betrothal
(c) A month-long honeymoon
(d) An elopement
7. Why does Mrs. Mingott not leave her house?
(a) She is paralyzed
(b) She is blind
(c) She is a hermit
(d) She is too obese
8. What does Newland think of his fiancee, May Welland?
(a) She is dull
(b) She is cunning and manipulative
(c) She is beautiful and innocent
(d) She is brilliant
9. Who does Newland visit when he returns to New York?
(a) Mrs. Beaufort
(b) Mrs. Mingott
(c) Mrs. Welland
(d) Mrs. van der Luyden
10. Who is the main character who arrives late at the opera?
(a) Janey Archer
(b) Newland Archer
(c) Mrs. Manson Mingott
(d) Henry van der Luyden
11. Who is Newland Archer's fiancee?
(a) Janey Welland
(b) Ellen Olenska
(c) May Welland
(d) Elaine van der Luyden
12. What is the law firm's position on the divorce?
(a) It is a presitigious case
(b) The request should be cancelled
(c) They have a conflict of interest
(d) They will not make any money on it
13. Who dines at the Archer household the night after the ball?
(a) Mr. Stillerton Jackson
(b) Mr. and Mrs. van der Luyden
(c) Countess Olenska
(d) Julius and Regina Beaufort
14. What does Newland search for the next morning but cannot find?
(a) White roses
(b) Red roses
(c) Yellow roses
(d) Pink roses
15. Who had sent the object in #79?
(a) Julius Beaufort
(b) Count Oleska
(c) Mr. van der Luyden
(d) Newland Archer
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Newland see on his way out of Mrs. Mingott's house?
2. Who hosts the event in Chapter 3?
3. Where is Ellen when Newland finds her at the beginning of Chapter 15?
4. Who do the van der Luydens agree to include in an upcoming dinner party?
5. Ellen sends Newland a letter asking him _________________________________.
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)