|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who hosts Newland and May at their accommodations?
(a) Count and Countess Olenska
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Welland
(c) Mr. and Mrs. van der Luyden
(d) Julius and Regina Beaufort
2. What does Newland send to Ellen?
(a) Theater tickets
(b) A note
(d) Pink roses
3. Who does not attend Newland and May's wedding?
(a) The Astors
(b) Countess Oleska
(c) Count Oleska
(d) The van der Luydens
4. What does Newland ask Ellen?
(a) If she still wants to divorce her husband
(b) If she likes the roses he sends
(c) If she would like to go to dinner
(d) If he can see her the following night
5. For what reason does Newland approve of the divorce?
(a) Ellen's husband had an affair
(b) Ellen's husband treated her poorly
(c) Ellen's husband has an illegitimate child
(d) Ellen's husband is a gay man
6. What is Newland pleasantly surprised to find out about Ellen?
(a) She is in love with him
(b) She has decided to stay
(c) She wants him to represent her
(d) She is very opinionated
7. In what city is Newland and May's wedding held?
(a) Boca Raton
(c) New York
8. How does May react to Newland's request?
(a) She is shocked
(b) She is really happy
(c) She is depressed
(d) She is reluctant
9. What does Newland do when he sees that Ellen already has a visitor?
(a) Leaves them alone
(b) Joins them for tea
(c) Invites them to dinner
(d) Gives them a ride in his carriage
10. Who is a guest at Skuytercliff?
(a) Mrs. Mingott
11. Where does Newland go at the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) The theater
(b) Ellen's house
(c) The opera
(d) His club
12. What surprises Newland when he arrives at Ellen's the next evening?
(a) She already has guests
(b) She is in bed with a migraine
(c) She has gone to the theater
(d) The door is locked and the house is dark
13. What does Newland search for the next morning but cannot find?
(a) Yellow roses
(b) Pink roses
(c) White roses
(d) Red roses
14. What does Newland ask Mrs. Mingott to do?
(a) Convince the family to allow Ellen to divorce her husband
(b) Give him advice about Ellen
(c) Convince the Wellands to let Newland and May marry soon
(d) Host a party for the Wellands
15. What does Ellen tell Newland?
(a) She wants to proceed with the divorce
(b) She knew he would come
(c) She invites him to dinner
(d) She wants him to leave immediately
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the event of the season?
2. Who is Newland Archer's fiancee?
3. Who is the main character who arrives late at the opera?
4. Ellen sends Newland a letter asking him _________________________________.
5. What does May suspect about Newland?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)