|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Newland sitting at the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) At dinner with May
(b) At his desk at home
(c) In his office
(d) The Mingott family opera box
2. What does May ask Newland?
(a) If they can change their honeymoon destination
(b) If there is another woman in the picture
(c) If she can get a different engagement ring
(d) If she can get some new clothes
3. Who dines at the Archer household the night after the ball?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. van der Luyden
(b) Mr. Stillerton Jackson
(c) Julius and Regina Beaufort
(d) Countess Olenska
4. Who is the main character who arrives late at the opera?
(a) Henry van der Luyden
(b) Newland Archer
(c) Janey Archer
(d) Mrs. Manson Mingott
5. Who had sent the object in #79?
(a) Mr. van der Luyden
(b) Newland Archer
(c) Count Oleska
(d) Julius Beaufort
6. What frustrates Newland about May?
(a) She has a grating laugh
(b) She bites her nails
(c) She always relies on the opinions of her parents or him
(d) She wants a bigger engagement ring
7. What is the general consensus about Countess Olenska?
(a) She is extremely beautiful
(b) She is a welcome change of pace
(c) She is a valuable fundraiser
(d) She is an undesirable person
8. Of what action of Ellen's does Newland approve?
(a) Using her inheritance
(b) Purchasing a home
(c) Buying a new wardrobe
(d) Getting a divorce
9. Where does Newland go at the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) The theater
(b) The opera
(c) Ellen's house
(d) His club
10. What does Newland tell May?
(a) He found them a great apartment
(b) He sent flowers to Ellen
(c) He has his wedding guest list finished
(d) He is going out of town for a few days
11. What type of flowers does Newland send Ellen?
(a) Yellow roses
(b) Blue hydrangeas
(c) Purple hyacinths
(d) Pink carnations
12. What does Newland consider his marriage to May to be?
(a) A marriage of convenience
(b) A match made in heaven
(c) A life of passion
(d) The perfect arrangement
13. Why is Ellen's family pleased with Newland?
(a) He helped Ellen with her finances
(b) He has convinced Ellen to drop the divorce
(c) He helped Ellen find a house
(d) He sends flowers to Ellen
14. For what does Newland push?
(a) An elopement
(b) A shorter betrothal
(c) A month-long honeymoon
(d) A small wedding
15. What does Newland ask Mrs. Mingott to do?
(a) Host a party for the Wellands
(b) Convince the Wellands to let Newland and May marry soon
(c) Convince the family to allow Ellen to divorce her husband
(d) Give him advice about Ellen
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Newland caution Ellen about regarding the divorce?
2. For what reason does Newland approve of the divorce?
3. What is the law firm's position on the divorce?
4. What is the event that occurs in Chapter 3?
5. What does Ellen tell Newland?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)