|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What convinces May that Newland wants to marry her?
(a) He gets down on one knee
(b) He cries when she questions him
(c) He denies any allegations
(d) He tells her he will do anything she wants
2. Who sends a telegram to Ellen?
(b) Mrs. van der Luyden
(d) Mrs. Welland
3. What is Newland pleasantly surprised to find out about Ellen?
(a) She is in love with him
(b) She is very opinionated
(c) She has decided to stay
(d) She wants him to represent her
4. What does Ellen tell Newland?
(a) She invites him to dinner
(b) She wants to proceed with the divorce
(c) She wants him to leave immediately
(d) She knew he would come
5. How does May react to Newland's request?
(a) She is depressed
(b) She is shocked
(c) She is really happy
(d) She is reluctant
6. Why do the Wellands choose the location for their vacation?
(a) They have a vineyard there
(b) They keep horses there
(c) They have an estate there
(d) The air is beneficial for Mr. Welland's health
7. Who accompanies Newland and May on their betrothal visits?
(a) Mrs. Welland
(b) Mrs. Archer
(c) Countess Olenska
(d) Countess Olenska
8. In what city is Newland and May's wedding held?
(c) Boca Raton
(d) New York
9. For what reason does Newland approve of the divorce?
(a) Ellen's husband is a gay man
(b) Ellen's husband had an affair
(c) Ellen's husband treated her poorly
(d) Ellen's husband has an illegitimate child
10. Ellen sends Newland a note saying that she "ran away" to "______________________."
(a) think things over
(b) get a tan
(c) meditate and write
(d) read some books
11. Who wants the divorce case to be dropped?
(a) Julius Beaufort
(b) Mrs. van der Luyden
(c) Ellen's family
(d) Janey Archer
12. In what decade does this story begin?
13. What does Newland consider his job to be regarding May?
(a) To buy her a new wardrobe each season
(b) To expose her to more of the arts
(c) Make sure she cultivates her own opinions and expresses them
(d) To provide the biggest house he can
14. Chapter 19 marks the beginning of _____________________.
(a) The Civil War
(b) The Reconstruction
(c) The War of 1812
(d) Book Two
15. What does Newland tell Ellen about May?
(a) She is still in Florida
(b) She is having her wedding dress custom designed
(c) She is inviting Ellen to the wedding
(d) That May thinks Newland is in love with someone else
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Newland see on his way out of Mrs. Mingott's house?
2. Who do Newland and May visit first on their betrothal visits?
3. What is the law firm's position on the divorce?
4. Who do the van der Luydens agree to include in an upcoming dinner party?
5. Ellen's aunt tells her that someone has sent her ______________________.
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)