Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Newland told when he arrives at Ellen's house?
(a) She is out and will return soon
(b) She has another visitor
(c) She went to the theater
(d) She is ill
2. Who hosts the event in Chapter 3?
(a) Mrs. Archer
(b) Julius and Regina Beaufort
(c) Countess Ellen Olenska
(d) Mrs. Manson Mingott
3. What does the answer to #73 ask Newland?
(a) What are his career goals
(b) Where he proposed to May
(c) Why he did not marry Ellen
(d) Where he and May will live
4. What type of flowers does Newland send to Ellen that night?
(a) Lilies of the Valley
5. How does May react to Newland's request?
(a) She is shocked
(b) She is really happy
(c) She is depressed
(d) She is reluctant
6. What does Newland do when he sees that Ellen already has a visitor?
(a) Leaves them alone
(b) Gives them a ride in his carriage
(c) Joins them for tea
(d) Invites them to dinner
7. What is the law firm's position on the divorce?
(a) It is a presitigious case
(b) They have a conflict of interest
(c) They will not make any money on it
(d) The request should be cancelled
8. What is the opera being produced as the story begins?
(b) Madame Butterfly
9. On what issue does Newland press May?
(a) Moving to a smaller apartment
(b) Living in Europe for a couple years
(c) Getting her parents to agree to a shorter engagement
(d) Getting May to agree to elope
10. What does Newland tell May?
(a) He found them a great apartment
(b) He has his wedding guest list finished
(c) He is going out of town for a few days
(d) He sent flowers to Ellen
11. With whom did Newland have an affair at one time?
(a) Elaine van der Luyden
(b) Ellen Olenska
(c) A married woman
(d) Christine Beaufort
12. What is May's position on the length of their engagement?
(a) She would also prefer a shorter engagement
(b) She is ready to call off the engagement
(c) A long engagement is expected in their social class
(d) She is ready to elope at any time
13. Who do the van der Luydens agree to include in an upcoming dinner party?
(a) The Astors
(b) The Beauforts
(c) Newland and May
(d) Countess Olenska
14. What does Newland caution Ellen about regarding the divorce?
(a) She will not get what she deserves
(b) Her husband will never agree to it
(c) It may take a little longer than she thinks
(d) Public accusations will ensue
15. What is the general consensus about Countess Olenska?
(a) She is an undesirable person
(b) She is extremely beautiful
(c) She is a welcome change of pace
(d) She is a valuable fundraiser
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Newland ask Mrs. Mingott to do?
2. What does Newland send to Ellen?
3. Who does Newland see on his way out of Mrs. Mingott's house?
4. What do Newland and May do at the beginning of Chapter 10?
5. Who does Newland discover is visiting Ellen?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)