|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the Wellands go on their annual vacation?
(d) The Bahamas
2. What does Ellen do when Newland asks her to stop the divorce petition?
(a) She storms out of the room
(b) She says she will hire a different attorney
(c) She asks Newland to leave
(d) She abruptly agrees with him
3. Where does Newland go at the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) Ellen's house
(b) The opera
(c) The theater
(d) His club
4. What do Newland and May do at the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) Go to the theater
(b) Take dancing lessons
(c) Take a walk in the park
(d) Plan their honeymoon
5. What is the law firm's position on the divorce?
(a) It is a presitigious case
(b) They have a conflict of interest
(c) They will not make any money on it
(d) The request should be cancelled
6. What type of people live in the area where Ellen lives?
(a) Writers and artists
(b) Hispanic people
(c) Black people
(d) Wealthy people
7. Who is Newland Archer's fiancee?
(a) May Welland
(b) Ellen Olenska
(c) Elaine van der Luyden
(d) Janey Welland
8. With whom did Newland have an affair at one time?
(a) Elaine van der Luyden
(b) Ellen Olenska
(c) A married woman
(d) Christine Beaufort
9. Which controversial Mingott family member arrives at the opera?
(a) Countess Ellen Olenska
(b) Janey Welland
(c) May Mingott
(d) Ellen van der Luyden
10. What frustrates Newland about May?
(a) She always relies on the opinions of her parents or him
(b) She wants a bigger engagement ring
(c) She bites her nails
(d) She has a grating laugh
11. How does Ellen Olenska appear to Newland when he sees her at a dinner party?
(a) Much younger than she looked before
(b) Tan and energetic
(c) Tired and drawn
(d) Pale and older than her age
12. What does Newland pressure May to do?
(a) Reduce the size of the wedding
(b) Convince her parents to let them marry soon
(c) Elope as soon as possible
(d) Return to New York with him
13. What is May's position on the length of their engagement?
(a) She is ready to elope at any time
(b) A long engagement is expected in their social class
(c) She is ready to call off the engagement
(d) She would also prefer a shorter engagement
14. Who do the van der Luydens agree to include in an upcoming dinner party?
(a) The Astors
(b) The Beauforts
(c) Countess Olenska
(d) Newland and May
15. Ellen sends Newland a note saying that she "ran away" to "______________________."
(a) think things over
(b) read some books
(c) get a tan
(d) meditate and write
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is a guest at Skuytercliff?
2. Who does Newland discover is visiting Ellen?
3. Who wants the divorce case to be dropped?
4. In what city does the story take place?
5. For what reason does Newland approve of the divorce?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)