|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does May react to Newland's request?
(a) She is reluctant
(b) She is shocked
(c) She is really happy
(d) She is depressed
2. Who does Newland visit when he returns to New York?
(a) Mrs. van der Luyden
(b) Mrs. Beaufort
(c) Mrs. Welland
(d) Mrs. Mingott
3. What is May's position on the length of their engagement?
(a) A long engagement is expected in their social class
(b) She would also prefer a shorter engagement
(c) She is ready to call off the engagement
(d) She is ready to elope at any time
4. For what reason does Newland approve of the divorce?
(a) Ellen's husband had an affair
(b) Ellen's husband is a gay man
(c) Ellen's husband has an illegitimate child
(d) Ellen's husband treated her poorly
5. What is the popular rumor already in existence about Ellen?
(a) She used to work in burlesque
(b) She had an illegitimate child
(c) She had a sexually transmitted disease
(d) She ran off with her husband's secretary
6. Who is a guest at Skuytercliff?
(a) Mrs. Mingott
7. Ellen sends Newland a letter asking him _________________________________.
(a) to visit her the following night
(b) to stop sending the flowers
(c) to start the divorce proceedings
(d) to give her some advice on investments
8. Why is Ellen's family pleased with Newland?
(a) He helped Ellen with her finances
(b) He has convinced Ellen to drop the divorce
(c) He helped Ellen find a house
(d) He sends flowers to Ellen
9. Who wants the divorce case to be dropped?
(a) Julius Beaufort
(b) Mrs. van der Luyden
(c) Janey Archer
(d) Ellen's family
10. What is the law firm's position on the divorce?
(a) The request should be cancelled
(b) It is a presitigious case
(c) They will not make any money on it
(d) They have a conflict of interest
11. With whom did Newland have an affair at one time?
(a) A married woman
(b) Christine Beaufort
(c) Ellen Olenska
(d) Elaine van der Luyden
12. On what issue does Newland press May?
(a) Living in Europe for a couple years
(b) Getting her parents to agree to a shorter engagement
(c) Moving to a smaller apartment
(d) Getting May to agree to elope
13. Why does Mrs. Mingott not leave her house?
(a) She is a hermit
(b) She is too obese
(c) She is blind
(d) She is paralyzed
14. Who is Newland Archer's fiancee?
(a) Ellen Olenska
(b) May Welland
(c) Elaine van der Luyden
(d) Janey Welland
15. What does Ellen tell Newland before leaving?
(a) That she is sorry that they had not met many years ago
(b) That she expects he will call on her the next evening
(c) That she thinks he is very handsome
(d) That she enjoyed his company at dinner
Short Answer Questions
1. Which controversial Mingott family member arrives at the opera?
2. What does Newland tell Ellen about May?
3. Of what action of Ellen's does Newland approve?
4. What does May ask Newland?
5. Who does not attend Newland and May's wedding?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)