|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the law firm's position on the divorce?
(a) They have a conflict of interest
(b) They will not make any money on it
(c) It is a presitigious case
(d) The request should be cancelled
2. Chapter 19 marks the beginning of _____________________.
(a) Book Two
(b) The Civil War
(c) The Reconstruction
(d) The War of 1812
3. Who accompanies Newland and May on their betrothal visits?
(a) Mrs. Welland
(b) Mrs. Archer
(c) Countess Olenska
(d) Countess Olenska
4. What angers Newland when he arrives at the answer to #43?
(a) He sees Julius Beaufort
(b) He has mud on his shoes
(c) He has forgotten his calling cards
(d) He has come on the wrong day
5. What does Newland consider his marriage to May to be?
(a) A marriage of convenience
(b) A match made in heaven
(c) A life of passion
(d) The perfect arrangement
6. What is Skuytercliff?
(a) A resort area
(b) The van der Luyden's country estate
(c) The Welland family estate
(d) Julius Beaufort's yacht
7. What does Newland pressure May to do?
(a) Reduce the size of the wedding
(b) Elope as soon as possible
(c) Convince her parents to let them marry soon
(d) Return to New York with him
8. What type of flowers does Newland send to Ellen that night?
(d) Lilies of the Valley
9. What is Newland told when he arrives at Ellen's house?
(a) She is out and will return soon
(b) She has another visitor
(c) She is ill
(d) She went to the theater
10. Who wants the divorce case to be dropped?
(a) Julius Beaufort
(b) Janey Archer
(c) Mrs. van der Luyden
(d) Ellen's family
11. Who had sent the object in #79?
(a) Mr. van der Luyden
(b) Julius Beaufort
(c) Newland Archer
(d) Count Oleska
12. What is the general consensus about Countess Olenska?
(a) She is a welcome change of pace
(b) She is extremely beautiful
(c) She is a valuable fundraiser
(d) She is an undesirable person
13. Where is Newland sitting at the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) In his office
(b) At his desk at home
(c) The Mingott family opera box
(d) At dinner with May
14. Who does not attend Newland and May's wedding?
(a) The Astors
(b) The van der Luydens
(c) Count Oleska
(d) Countess Oleska
15. What is Newland pleasantly surprised to find out about Ellen?
(a) She is in love with him
(b) She wants him to represent her
(c) She is very opinionated
(d) She has decided to stay
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city is Newland and May's wedding held?
2. What question does Ellen ask of Newland?
3. What is Newland's objection to handling the divorce?
4. What does Newland think of his fiancee, May Welland?
5. Who do Newland and May visit first on their betrothal visits?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)