|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what issue does Newland press May?
(a) Living in Europe for a couple years
(b) Moving to a smaller apartment
(c) Getting her parents to agree to a shorter engagement
(d) Getting May to agree to elope
2. Where do Newland and May spend the first few days of their marriage?
(a) The Ritz
(b) The Four Seasons
(d) The Patroon House
3. Chapter 19 marks the beginning of _____________________.
(a) The Reconstruction
(b) The Civil War
(c) The War of 1812
(d) Book Two
4. In what city does the story take place?
(c) New Orleans
(d) New York City
5. For what reason does Newland approve of the divorce?
(a) Ellen's husband treated her poorly
(b) Ellen's husband is a gay man
(c) Ellen's husband has an illegitimate child
(d) Ellen's husband had an affair
6. What does Ellen say she will gain through the divorce?
(a) Her freedom
(b) An estate
(c) An art collection
(d) Her jewels
7. Who dines at the Archer household the night after the ball?
(a) Countess Olenska
(b) Mr. Stillerton Jackson
(c) Mr. and Mrs. van der Luyden
(d) Julius and Regina Beaufort
8. What is May's position on the length of their engagement?
(a) She is ready to elope at any time
(b) She is ready to call off the engagement
(c) A long engagement is expected in their social class
(d) She would also prefer a shorter engagement
9. What does the telegram say?
(a) The Wellands want May to break her engagement to Newland
(b) The Wellands have invited Ellen to visit them in Florida
(c) The Wellands have agreed to let May marry Newland soon
(d) The Wellands are returning from their vacation earlier than expected
10. What does Newland tell Ellen about May?
(a) She is inviting Ellen to the wedding
(b) That May thinks Newland is in love with someone else
(c) She is still in Florida
(d) She is having her wedding dress custom designed
11. What does Ellen tell Newland?
(a) She knew he would come
(b) She wants him to leave immediately
(c) She wants to proceed with the divorce
(d) She invites him to dinner
12. What does Newland do when he sees that Ellen already has a visitor?
(a) Joins them for tea
(b) Gives them a ride in his carriage
(c) Invites them to dinner
(d) Leaves them alone
13. How does Ellen Olenska appear to Newland when he sees her at a dinner party?
(a) Much younger than she looked before
(b) Pale and older than her age
(c) Tired and drawn
(d) Tan and energetic
14. What is the opera being produced as the story begins?
(d) Madame Butterfly
15. Who do the van der Luydens agree to include in an upcoming dinner party?
(a) Newland and May
(b) The Astors
(c) Countess Olenska
(d) The Beauforts
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom did Newland have an affair at one time?
2. In what city is Newland and May's wedding held?
3. Where does Newland go the next evening?
4. What does Newland search for the next morning but cannot find?
5. What does the answer to #73 ask Newland?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)