|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who accompanies Newland and May on their betrothal visits?
(a) Mrs. Welland
(b) Countess Olenska
(c) Countess Olenska
(d) Mrs. Archer
2. Who has filed a petition for divorce in Chapter 11?
(a) Mrs. Welland
(b) Janey Archer
(c) Ellen Olenska
(d) Regina Beaufort
3. Where do Newland and May spend the first few days of their marriage?
(a) The Ritz
(b) The Patroon House
(c) The Four Seasons
4. Where does Newland go the next evening?
(a) Ellen Olenska's house
(b) His gentleman's club
(c) The Oak Room
(d) The opera
5. What does Newland think of his fiancee, May Welland?
(a) She is dull
(b) She is brilliant
(c) She is cunning and manipulative
(d) She is beautiful and innocent
6. On what issue does Newland press May?
(a) Getting her parents to agree to a shorter engagement
(b) Getting May to agree to elope
(c) Moving to a smaller apartment
(d) Living in Europe for a couple years
7. Ellen's aunt tells her that someone has sent her ______________________.
(a) theater tickets
(b) a new hat
(c) a necklace
(d) a bouquet
8. Where do the Wellands go on their annual vacation?
(d) The Bahamas
9. What does Ellen do when Newland asks her to stop the divorce petition?
(a) She says she will hire a different attorney
(b) She asks Newland to leave
(c) She abruptly agrees with him
(d) She storms out of the room
10. Who does not attend Newland and May's wedding?
(a) Count Oleska
(b) The van der Luydens
(c) The Astors
(d) Countess Oleska
11. For what does Newland push?
(a) A month-long honeymoon
(b) A shorter betrothal
(c) A small wedding
(d) An elopement
12. Ellen sends Newland a letter asking him _________________________________.
(a) to give her some advice on investments
(b) to start the divorce proceedings
(c) to visit her the following night
(d) to stop sending the flowers
13. Who do Newland and Mrs. Archer visit in Chapter 7?
(a) John. D. and Mary Rockefeller
(b) Julius and Regina Beaufort
(c) Countess and Count Olenska
(d) Henry and Louisa van der Luyden
14. Who is Newland Archer's fiancee?
(a) Elaine van der Luyden
(b) Ellen Olenska
(c) Janey Welland
(d) May Welland
15. Who has been asked to handle the divorce case?
(a) Julius Beaufort
(b) Mr. van der Luyden
(c) Mr. Welland
(d) Newland Archer
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of people live in the area where Ellen lives?
2. What does Newland tell May?
3. In what city does the story take place?
4. Who dines at the Archer household the night after the ball?
5. What is Newland's objection to handling the divorce?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)