|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do the van der Luydens agree to include in an upcoming dinner party?
(a) Countess Olenska
(b) Newland and May
(c) The Astors
(d) The Beauforts
2. What does Newland pressure May to do?
(a) Return to New York with him
(b) Reduce the size of the wedding
(c) Elope as soon as possible
(d) Convince her parents to let them marry soon
3. What question does Ellen ask of Newland?
(a) If he will sit by her at dinner
(b) Whether his engagement to May is a love match
(c) If his firm will handle her divorce
(d) If he will help her find a house
4. Who does Newland discover is visiting Ellen?
(a) Mr. Welland
(b) Mr. Astor
(c) Mr. Beaufort
(d) Mr. MacKenzie
5. What does Newland do when he sees that Ellen already has a visitor?
(a) Invites them to dinner
(b) Leaves them alone
(c) Gives them a ride in his carriage
(d) Joins them for tea
6. Who does Newland see on his way out of Mrs. Mingott's house?
(a) Ellen Olenska
(b) Mrs. van der Luyden
(c) Mrs. Welland
(d) Regina Beaufort
7. In what city does the story take place?
(c) New Orleans
(d) New York City
8. How does Ellen Olenska appear to Newland when he sees her at a dinner party?
(a) Pale and older than her age
(b) Much younger than she looked before
(c) Tan and energetic
(d) Tired and drawn
9. Who do Newland and Mrs. Archer visit in Chapter 7?
(a) Countess and Count Olenska
(b) Henry and Louisa van der Luyden
(c) John. D. and Mary Rockefeller
(d) Julius and Regina Beaufort
10. What type of people live in the area where Ellen lives?
(a) Hispanic people
(b) Wealthy people
(c) Writers and artists
(d) Black people
11. How does May react to Newland's request?
(a) She is shocked
(b) She is depressed
(c) She is really happy
(d) She is reluctant
12. Who sends a telegram to Ellen?
(c) Mrs. van der Luyden
(d) Mrs. Welland
13. What social impropriety does Ellen commit at the dinner party?
(a) She chews with her mouth open
(b) She approaches Newland to talk to him instead of being approached by him
(c) She drinks from the finger bowl
(d) She doesn't know which fork to use for her salad
14. Who does Newland visit when he returns to New York?
(a) Mrs. van der Luyden
(b) Mrs. Beaufort
(c) Mrs. Welland
(d) Mrs. Mingott
15. What is the general consensus about Countess Olenska?
(a) She is a valuable fundraiser
(b) She is extremely beautiful
(c) She is an undesirable person
(d) She is a welcome change of pace
Short Answer Questions
1. What angers Newland when he arrives at the answer to #43?
2. What is the law firm's position on the divorce?
3. In what city is Newland and May's wedding held?
4. What is Newland pleasantly surprised to find out about Ellen?
5. What does Newland send to Ellen?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)