|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the main character who arrives late at the opera?
(a) Newland Archer
(b) Janey Archer
(c) Mrs. Manson Mingott
(d) Henry van der Luyden
2. Who do Newland and Mrs. Archer visit in Chapter 7?
(a) Henry and Louisa van der Luyden
(b) John. D. and Mary Rockefeller
(c) Countess and Count Olenska
(d) Julius and Regina Beaufort
3. For what reason does Newland approve of the divorce?
(a) Ellen's husband is a gay man
(b) Ellen's husband has an illegitimate child
(c) Ellen's husband treated her poorly
(d) Ellen's husband had an affair
4. What does Ellen tell Newland before leaving?
(a) That she enjoyed his company at dinner
(b) That she thinks he is very handsome
(c) That she expects he will call on her the next evening
(d) That she is sorry that they had not met many years ago
5. Who does Newland visit when he returns to New York?
(a) Mrs. Welland
(b) Mrs. Mingott
(c) Mrs. Beaufort
(d) Mrs. van der Luyden
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Newland search for the next morning but cannot find?
2. Who does Newland see on his way out of Mrs. Mingott's house?
3. What does Newland tell May?
4. Ellen sends Newland a letter asking him _________________________________.
5. What does Newland consider his marriage to May to be?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)