|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who occupies Newland's thoughts these days?
(a) Elaine van der Luyden
(b) Regina Beaufort
(c) Janey Archer
(d) Ellen Olenska
2. What social impropriety does Ellen commit at the dinner party?
(a) She doesn't know which fork to use for her salad
(b) She drinks from the finger bowl
(c) She chews with her mouth open
(d) She approaches Newland to talk to him instead of being approached by him
3. Why does Mrs. Mingott not leave her house?
(a) She is blind
(b) She is a hermit
(c) She is too obese
(d) She is paralyzed
4. What does Newland think of his fiancee, May Welland?
(a) She is brilliant
(b) She is cunning and manipulative
(c) She is beautiful and innocent
(d) She is dull
5. Where does Newland go the next evening?
(a) His gentleman's club
(b) The Oak Room
(c) Ellen Olenska's house
(d) The opera
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the general consensus about Countess Olenska?
2. Who interrupts the conversation between Newland and Ellen?
3. In what city does the story take place?
4. Who do the van der Luydens agree to include in an upcoming dinner party?
5. Who do Newland and Mrs. Archer visit in Chapter 7?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)