Chapter 1 | Chapter 2
• The story takes place in the early 1870s in New York City.
• The protagonist, Newland Archer, arrives at the opera.
• Newland fixes his gaze on the opera box owned by Mrs. Manson Mingott.
• Newland is engaged to Mrs. Mingott's granddaughter, May Welland.
• The audience stirs at the arrival of a controversial member of the Mingott family, Countess Ellen Olenska.
• Ellen is estranged from her abusive French husband, Count Olenska.
• There are rumors that Ellen left her husband to live with his secretary.
• Newland joins the Mingott opera box and is shocked by Ellen's informality.
Chapter 3 | Chapter 4
• Julius and Regina Beaufort host their annual ball.
• The Beauforts are known as common people who secure their position in society only by their wealth.
• May tells Newland that he should tell Ellen about their engagement because she has already told some of her friends.
• Newland is not able to...
This section contains 2,259 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)