|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Vercueil appear to be in Part Three "p.115-147"?
2. How long does it take for the pharmacy to deliver the narrator's new medication?
3. What does the narrator think about while being driven home?
4. What does the narrator say to the young man her and her group meet as she rejects his request?
5. What did the narrator's daughter tell her as she was leaving South Africa.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Curren tell the police when under medication?
2. What does the narrator recall about her daughter?
3. What does Mr. Vercueil say of the bottle in the paper bag?
4. What does the narrator wonder about her ability to love?
5. How is Mr. Vercueil different at the start of Part Three, pg. 115-147?
6. Why does Mr. Thabane advise the narrator to put a jacket over her head?
7. Where do Mr. Vercueil and the narrator drive?
8. What happens to Mrs. Curren when she is lying down under an overpass?
9. What horrific scene do they encounter when they walk?
10. What seems to ease Mrs. Curren's pain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the correlation between Mrs. Curren's act of writing letters and her self preservation in the "Age of Iron".
Essay Topic 2
Define epistolary novel and discuss how "Age of Iron" is an example.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Coetzee's development of the plot in the "Age of Iron", from the initial situation to the climax and conclusion.
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)