|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is John sitting on Page 147?
2. What does the narrator hear while on the ground?
3. What road does the narrator want to drive her car down?
4. Where does Vercueil bring the narrator?
5. What does the narrator see inside the building they go to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the narrator told when she asks who is responsible?
2. What does the narrator notice when passing by Florence's room in Part Three, p. 147-176?
3. What does the narrator wonder about her ability to love?
4. Why is Florence comforted inside the building?
5. What advice does the narrator offer to Mr. Thabane?
6. Where do Mr. Vercueil and the narrator drive?
7. How is Mr. Vercueil different at the start of Part Three, pg. 115-147?
8. What does the narrator think about when sitting in the car alone?
9. What happens to Mrs. Curren when she is lying down under an overpass?
10. What directions does Florence give to the narrator when they arrive in the township area at the start of Part Three, pg. 87-115?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the principles which the youth live by in the "Age of Iron" and compare it with Mrs. Curren's principles.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism and meaning of the title, "Age of Iron".
Essay Topic 3
Define a character foil and discuss why they are used in literature. Take two character foils and analyze why Coetzee chose these characters as foils.
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)