|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the narrator reach on the phone?
2. What is the narrator doing when the boy startles her?
3. What does the narrator hope her daughter will do after the letters stop?
4. What is the boy's name?
5. Who does the narrator find in her kitchen when she comes down to quiet Vercueil's dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens the morning the doorbell rings repeatedly?
2. What does the narrator explain over tea?
3. Who does Florence dress as at the start of Part Four?
4. How is Mr. Vercueil different at the start of Part Three, pg. 115-147?
5. What is the narrator told when she asks who is responsible?
6. What does the narrator recall about her daughter?
7. What directions does Florence give to the narrator when they arrive in the township area at the start of Part Three, pg. 87-115?
8. What advice does the narrator offer to Mr. Thabane?
9. What does John ask when he comes downstairs?
10. What does Mr. Vercueil say of the bottle in the paper bag?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Coetzee addresses mortality throughout the "Age of Iron".
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Coetzee's development of the plot in the "Age of Iron", from the initial situation to the climax and conclusion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the names, Hope and Beauty, Florence's daughters and how these names are used as an allegory in "Age of Iron".
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)