|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator and her group stop to watch?
2. What does the young man the narrator and her group meet want?
3. What does Vercueil propose to the narrator?
4. What does the narrator say she would want to know when Vercueil asks about the dream?
5. What does the narrator see being taken in an ambulance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is playing on the television when Mr. Vercueil brings the television into the room?
2. What does the narrator notice when passing by Florence's room in Part Three, p. 147-176?
3. What does the narrator explain over tea?
4. What does Mrs. Curren do when Mr. Vercueil is not looking?
5. What happens the morning the doorbell rings repeatedly?
6. What does the narrator think about when sitting in the car alone?
7. Why does Mrs. Curren call Dr. Syfret?
8. What does the policeman at the roadblock tell the narrator?
9. What has Mr. Vercueil become interested in?
10. What do the narrator and Mr. Thabane discuss about comradeship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why Vercueil acted as a guide or mentor to Mrs. Curren and how he influenced her.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Florence's reaction to Mr. Vercueil and compare it with Mrs. Curren's reaction to him.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the significance of the statement that the House of Parliament is the "house of shame."
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)