|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps the narrator find her way home?
2. What is the narrator's name?
3. Who picks the narrator up after she wakes up?
4. What does the narrator compare aging to?
5. What does the narrator see being taken in an ambulance?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mr. Vercueil different at the start of Part Three, pg. 115-147?
2. What does Mrs. Curren tell the police when under medication?
3. What is the narrator told when she asks who is responsible?
4. What happens the morning the doorbell rings repeatedly?
5. Why is Florence comforted inside the building?
6. What horrific scene do they encounter when they walk?
7. What advice does the narrator offer to Mr. Thabane?
8. What directions does Florence give to the narrator when they arrive in the township area at the start of Part Three, pg. 87-115?
9. What happens to Mrs. Curren when she is lying down under an overpass?
10. What does the narrator wonder about her ability to love?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the impact apartheid had on schools and students in South Africa.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the correlation between Mrs. Curren's act of writing letters and her self preservation in the "Age of Iron".
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why Coetzee chose to use first person and a narrator to tell the story in the "Age of Iron".
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)