|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the narrator tell her daughter during their last conversation?
2. What does the narrator say to the young man her and her group meet as she rejects his request?
3. What are some men forcing bystanders to do?
4. What does the narrator see inside the building they go to?
5. Why does Vercueil go into the store?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Vercueil say of the bottle in the paper bag?
2. What is the narrator told when she asks who is responsible?
3. Where do Mr. Vercueil and the narrator drive?
4. What directions does Florence give to the narrator when they arrive in the township area at the start of Part Three, pg. 87-115?
5. Why does Mrs. Curren call Dr. Syfret?
6. What does the narrator notice when passing by Florence's room in Part Three, p. 147-176?
7. How is Mr. Vercueil different at the start of Part Three, pg. 115-147?
8. What happens to Mrs. Curren when she is lying down under an overpass?
9. Why does Mr. Thabane advise the narrator to put a jacket over her head?
10. What is playing on the television when Mr. Vercueil brings the television into the room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Coetzee addresses mortality throughout the "Age of Iron".
Essay Topic 2
Examine the impact apartheid had on schools and students in South Africa.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the setting of Mrs. Curren's home and how Mrs. Curren attempts to protect her space.
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)