|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What excuse does the narrator give to the police officer to justify her presence there?
2. What does Vercueil propose to the narrator?
3. Why did Vercueil abandon his career at sea?
4. Why does Florence's cousin give the narrator a jacket to put over her head?
5. What does the police tell the narrator?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator think about when sitting in the car alone?
2. What does John ask money for?
3. What is playing on the television when Mr. Vercueil brings the television into the room?
4. What does John ask when he comes downstairs?
5. What happens to Mrs. Curren when she is lying down under an overpass?
6. What does Mr. Vercueil say of the bottle in the paper bag?
7. What does the narrator explain over tea?
8. What was the narrator planning to do with her car?
9. What horrific scene do they encounter when they walk?
10. What does Mrs. Curren tell the police when under medication?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Coetzee addresses mortality throughout the "Age of Iron".
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the principles which the youth live by in the "Age of Iron" and compare it with Mrs. Curren's principles.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the history of apartheid in South Africa, including why it was instituted, who it benefited, and the impact it had on the townships.
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)