|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the narrator try to wake up?
2. Who helps the narrator find her way home?
3. What was Mr. Thabane's profession?
4. What excuse does the narrator give to the police officer to justify her presence there?
5. Who picks the narrator up after she wakes up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator think about when sitting in the car alone?
2. Why is Florence comforted inside the building?
3. What does the narrator notice when passing by Florence's room in Part Three, p. 147-176?
4. What does the narrator explain over tea?
5. Why does Mrs. Curren call Dr. Syfret?
6. What does the narrator wonder about her ability to love?
7. What does Mr. Vercueil say of the bottle in the paper bag?
8. Who does Florence dress as at the start of Part Four?
9. What do the narrator and Mr. Thabane discuss about comradeship?
10. How is Mr. Vercueil different at the start of Part Three, pg. 115-147?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on the "Age of Iron", discuss whether suffering has any value for the characters.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the significance of the statement that the House of Parliament is the "house of shame."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Coetzee addresses mortality throughout the "Age of Iron".
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)