|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened on Government Avenue in the narrator's dream in Part four?
2. What happens late at night in Part Three?
3. What does Mr. Vercueil do with the keys of the car?
4. What prevents the narrator from going out in the days following her car drive?
5. What does Florence tell the narrator?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens the morning the doorbell rings repeatedly?
2. What directions does Florence give to the narrator when they arrive in the township area at the start of Part Three, pg. 87-115?
3. What does the narrator notice when passing by Florence's room in Part Three, p. 147-176?
4. What does the narrator wonder about her ability to love?
5. What does the policeman at the roadblock tell the narrator?
6. Where do Mr. Vercueil and the narrator drive?
7. What does the narrator recall about her daughter?
8. What advice does the narrator offer to Mr. Thabane?
9. What has Mr. Vercueil become interested in?
10. What do the narrator and Mr. Thabane discuss about comradeship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why Coetzee chose to use first person and a narrator to tell the story in the "Age of Iron".
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Coetzee addresses mortality throughout the "Age of Iron".
Essay Topic 3
Examine the significance of the statement that the House of Parliament is the "house of shame."
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)