|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Vercueil appear to be in Part Three "p.115-147"?
2. What does the narrator's medications cause?
3. What was Mr. Thabane's profession?
4. What does the narrator refuse to do?
5. What does the police tell the narrator?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator explain over tea?
2. What directions does Florence give to the narrator when they arrive in the township area at the start of Part Three, pg. 87-115?
3. What does John ask money for?
4. What happens to Mrs. Curren when she is lying down under an overpass?
5. What does the narrator recall about her daughter?
6. What advice does the narrator offer to Mr. Thabane?
7. What does the policeman at the roadblock tell the narrator?
8. What does the narrator notice when passing by Florence's room in Part Three, p. 147-176?
9. Where do Mr. Vercueil and the narrator drive?
10. Why does Mr. Thabane advise the narrator to put a jacket over her head?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze why Coetzee chose to write using fiction in "Age of Iron".
Essay Topic 2
Examine the impact apartheid had on schools and students in South Africa.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the principles which the youth live by in the "Age of Iron" and compare it with Mrs. Curren's principles.
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)