|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator notice is removed?
2. What does the John do when he sees the narrator?
3. What was Mr. Thabane's profession?
4. What is the name of Florence's cousin?
5. What does Vercueil do while the national anthem plays on the TV?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Mrs. Curren when she is lying down under an overpass?
2. What does John ask when he comes downstairs?
3. What does Mrs. Curren tell the police when under medication?
4. What does the narrator notice when passing by Florence's room in Part Three, p. 147-176?
5. What seems to ease Mrs. Curren's pain?
6. What does John ask money for?
7. What has Mr. Vercueil become interested in?
8. What horrific scene do they encounter when they walk?
9. What does the narrator wonder about her ability to love?
10. What happens the morning the doorbell rings repeatedly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the impact Bheki's death had on the different characters in the "Age of Iron".
Essay Topic 2
Define a character foil and discuss why they are used in literature. Take two character foils and analyze why Coetzee chose these characters as foils.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Coetzee's development of the plot in the "Age of Iron", from the initial situation to the climax and conclusion.
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)