|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Vercueil say he bought?
2. What does the narrator ask Vercueil to do when she hears the national anthem?
3. What did the narrator's daughter tell her as she was leaving South Africa.
4. What does the narrator hear while on the ground?
5. What does the narrator refuse to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator notice when passing by Florence's room in Part Three, p. 147-176?
2. What do the narrator and Mr. Thabane discuss about comradeship?
3. What is the narrator told when she asks who is responsible?
4. What happens the morning the doorbell rings repeatedly?
5. What does Mrs. Curren do when Mr. Vercueil is not looking?
6. What seems to ease Mrs. Curren's pain?
7. Why does Mr. Thabane advise the narrator to put a jacket over her head?
8. What does Mrs. Curren tell the police when under medication?
9. Who does Florence dress as at the start of Part Four?
10. What was the narrator planning to do with her car?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Coetzee's development of the plot in the "Age of Iron", from the initial situation to the climax and conclusion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the setting of Mrs. Curren's home and how Mrs. Curren attempts to protect her space.
Essay Topic 3
Examine how rules and order are depicted in the book, and conclude why Mrs. Curren believes that the rules are necessary to maintain peace.
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)