|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Vercueil go into the store?
2. Where is the narrator put after she tells the one trying to get her out of her house that she has cancer?
3. What does the narrator want to do after looking at her watch?
4. What does the narrator see inside the building they go to?
5. What does Mr. Vercueil do with the keys of the car?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Florence comforted inside the building?
2. What does John ask money for?
3. What advice does the narrator offer to Mr. Thabane?
4. What directions does Florence give to the narrator when they arrive in the township area at the start of Part Three, pg. 87-115?
5. Why does Mrs. Curren call Dr. Syfret?
6. What is the narrator told when she asks who is responsible?
7. Who does Florence dress as at the start of Part Four?
8. What does Mrs. Curren do when Mr. Vercueil is not looking?
9. What is playing on the television when Mr. Vercueil brings the television into the room?
10. What seems to ease Mrs. Curren's pain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze why Coetzee chose to write using fiction in "Age of Iron".
Essay Topic 2
Examine the impact Bheki's death had on the different characters in the "Age of Iron".
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why Coetzee chose to use first person and a narrator to tell the story in the "Age of Iron".
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)