|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator ask Vercueil to do to help with the pain?
2. What does Mr. Vercueil suggest doing after the narrator looks at her watch?
3. How was Florence dressed in the narrator's dream?
4. Who does the narrator find in her kitchen when she comes down to quiet Vercueil's dog?
5. Who picks the narrator up after she wakes up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the narrator and Mr. Thabane discuss about comradeship?
2. What does Mrs. Curren do when Mr. Vercueil is not looking?
3. What does the narrator recall about her daughter?
4. What does the narrator notice when passing by Florence's room in Part Three, p. 147-176?
5. What happens the morning the doorbell rings repeatedly?
6. What does the narrator explain over tea?
7. What is playing on the television when Mr. Vercueil brings the television into the room?
8. What seems to ease Mrs. Curren's pain?
9. What is the narrator told when she asks who is responsible?
10. What does the narrator think about when sitting in the car alone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Florence's reaction to Mr. Vercueil and compare it with Mrs. Curren's reaction to him.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Coetzee's development of the plot in the "Age of Iron", from the initial situation to the climax and conclusion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the names, Hope and Beauty, Florence's daughters and how these names are used as an allegory in "Age of Iron".
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)