|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Vercueil say he bought?
2. What does the narrator try to do?
3. Who serves as a guide for the people in the narrator's car?
4. How was Florence dressed in the narrator's dream?
5. What is the narrator's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does the narrator offer to Mr. Thabane?
2. What does Mr. Vercueil say of the bottle in the paper bag?
3. What directions does Florence give to the narrator when they arrive in the township area at the start of Part Three, pg. 87-115?
4. What does John ask money for?
5. What do the narrator and Mr. Thabane discuss about comradeship?
6. What horrific scene do they encounter when they walk?
7. What does the narrator notice when passing by Florence's room in Part Three, p. 147-176?
8. What does Mrs. Curren do when Mr. Vercueil is not looking?
9. Why does Mr. Thabane advise the narrator to put a jacket over her head?
10. What does the narrator explain over tea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the impact Bheki's death had on the different characters in the "Age of Iron".
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Coetzee addresses mortality throughout the "Age of Iron".
Essay Topic 3
Based on the "Age of Iron", discuss whether suffering has any value for the characters.
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)