|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the narrator find in her kitchen when she comes down to quiet Vercueil's dog?
2. What did the narrator tell her daughter during their last conversation?
3. What do the officers prevent the narrator from doing?
4. What was Mr. Thabane's profession?
5. What does the narrator think of Vercueil's cooking?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mr. Vercueil different at the start of Part Three, pg. 115-147?
2. What does the policeman at the roadblock tell the narrator?
3. What happens the morning the doorbell rings repeatedly?
4. What has Mr. Vercueil become interested in?
5. What advice does the narrator offer to Mr. Thabane?
6. What happens to Mrs. Curren when she is lying down under an overpass?
7. What do the narrator and Mr. Thabane discuss about comradeship?
8. What does Mrs. Curren do when Mr. Vercueil is not looking?
9. What does the narrator explain over tea?
10. What horrific scene do they encounter when they walk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Florence's reaction to Mr. Vercueil and compare it with Mrs. Curren's reaction to him.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why Vercueil acted as a guide or mentor to Mrs. Curren and how he influenced her.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Coetzee addresses mortality throughout the "Age of Iron".
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)