|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the narrator try to wake up?
2. What does the narrator tell the young boy to do?
3. What does the narrator say she is afraid of?
4. Where are the police officers the narrator talks with?
5. What does the narrator wonder about her daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Curren tell the police when under medication?
2. What does Mrs. Curren do when Mr. Vercueil is not looking?
3. Why does Mrs. Curren call Dr. Syfret?
4. What do the narrator and Mr. Thabane discuss about comradeship?
5. Who does Florence dress as at the start of Part Four?
6. What directions does Florence give to the narrator when they arrive in the township area at the start of Part Three, pg. 87-115?
7. What happens the morning the doorbell rings repeatedly?
8. What happens to Mrs. Curren when she is lying down under an overpass?
9. What does the narrator explain over tea?
10. What does John ask money for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism and meaning of the title, "Age of Iron".
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Coetzee addresses mortality throughout the "Age of Iron".
Essay Topic 3
Examine how rules and order are depicted in the book, and conclude why Mrs. Curren believes that the rules are necessary to maintain peace.
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)