|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the police stop the narrator's car?
2. What does the narrator say to the young man her and her group meet as she rejects his request?
3. Who helps the narrator find her way home?
4. Where is John sitting on Page 147?
5. What does Florence tell the narrator?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator wonder about her ability to love?
2. What has Mr. Vercueil become interested in?
3. What does the narrator think about when sitting in the car alone?
4. What does John ask money for?
5. What does the narrator explain over tea?
6. What happens the morning the doorbell rings repeatedly?
7. What happens to Mrs. Curren when she is lying down under an overpass?
8. What does John ask when he comes downstairs?
9. What was the narrator planning to do with her car?
10. What seems to ease Mrs. Curren's pain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define a character foil and discuss why they are used in literature. Take two character foils and analyze why Coetzee chose these characters as foils.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism of cancer in "Age of Iron" and why Coetzee chose to use a terminal disease to show the relationship with apartheid, believed a disease of hatred.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze why Coetzee chose to write using fiction in "Age of Iron".
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)