|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator notice is removed?
2. What does the narrator say about John?
3. Who does the narrator and her group meet on the way back to the car?
4. What does the narrator do while Vercueil and the dog sleep next to her?
5. What does the police tell the narrator?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the narrator planning to do with her car?
2. What advice does the narrator offer to Mr. Thabane?
3. What does the narrator think about when sitting in the car alone?
4. What horrific scene do they encounter when they walk?
5. Who does Florence dress as at the start of Part Four?
6. Why does Mr. Thabane advise the narrator to put a jacket over her head?
7. What happens the morning the doorbell rings repeatedly?
8. Where do Mr. Vercueil and the narrator drive?
9. What does Mrs. Curren do when Mr. Vercueil is not looking?
10. What happens to Mrs. Curren when she is lying down under an overpass?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the principles which the youth live by in the "Age of Iron" and compare it with Mrs. Curren's principles.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why Coetzee chose to use first person and a narrator to tell the story in the "Age of Iron".
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism and meaning of the title, "Age of Iron".
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)