|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vercueil propose to the narrator?
2. How long does it take for the pharmacy to deliver the narrator's new medication?
3. What does the narrator ask Vercueil to do when she hears the national anthem?
4. What excuse does the narrator give to the police officer to justify her presence there?
5. What is the narrator doing when the boy startles her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does John ask when he comes downstairs?
2. Who does Florence dress as at the start of Part Four?
3. What does the narrator notice when passing by Florence's room in Part Three, p. 147-176?
4. What does Mr. Vercueil say of the bottle in the paper bag?
5. Where do Mr. Vercueil and the narrator drive?
6. What does the narrator think about when sitting in the car alone?
7. What happens to Mrs. Curren when she is lying down under an overpass?
8. What is playing on the television when Mr. Vercueil brings the television into the room?
9. What horrific scene do they encounter when they walk?
10. What directions does Florence give to the narrator when they arrive in the township area at the start of Part Three, pg. 87-115?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze why Coetzee chose to write using fiction in "Age of Iron".
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Florence's reaction to Mr. Vercueil and compare it with Mrs. Curren's reaction to him.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism of cancer in "Age of Iron" and why Coetzee chose to use a terminal disease to show the relationship with apartheid, believed a disease of hatred.
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)