|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does the narrator offer the man she went to town with?
2. What does the narrator offer to do for Florence?
3. What does the narrator give to the person that lives near her house the first evening?
4. What type of document introduces the "Age of Iron"?
5. What does the narrator say to the person she finds?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator reassure Florence of?
2. What does Bheki inform the narrator of regarding the police and not being in school?
3. What does the narrator say about the boy and her teaching?
4. What does the narrator tell the homeless man stories about on the trip into town?
5. Who returns with her two young daughters and teenage son in Part Two, pgs. 35-56?
6. What happens when the narrator leaves to go shopping?
7. What does the narrator warn Florence of regarding hate?
8. What happens after the police van continued driving?
9. What does the homeless men decline after answering questions about his birthplace?
10. What does the narrator find near her garage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism and meaning of the title, "Age of Iron".
Essay Topic 2
Examine how rules and order are depicted in the book, and conclude why Mrs. Curren believes that the rules are necessary to maintain peace.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Coetzee's development of the plot in the "Age of Iron", from the initial situation to the climax and conclusion.
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)