|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the narrator and her housekeeper do after talking with Mr. Vercueil in the kitchen?
2. How long does the man work before being paid by the narrator?
3. What does the narrator ask her housekeeper to do in the letter she writes?
4. What do Bheki and his friend crash into?
5. Who does the narrator want to bring with Florence and her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unique about the aged woman's views on the apartheid system?
2. What does Vercueil explain to the narrator when they reach the boy's hospital room?
3. What does the narrator tell the homeless man stories about on the trip into town?
4. What does the narrator warn Florence of regarding hate?
5. What happens after the police van continued driving?
6. What did the police do to Bheki and his friend?
7. What happened to the narrator three years ago?
8. What does the homeless men decline after answering questions about his birthplace?
9. What does the narrator say to the homeless man about her family?
10. Who does the narrator see parked outside of her house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the history of apartheid in South Africa, including why it was instituted, who it benefited, and the impact it had on the townships.
Essay Topic 2
Based on the "Age of Iron", discuss whether suffering has any value for the characters.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the principles which the youth live by in the "Age of Iron" and compare it with Mrs. Curren's principles.
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)