|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What injury does Bheki's friend have following the crash?
2. What does Florence say the police do to black boys who are not in school?
3. What does Florence learn thanks to a phone call a few hours after the crash?
4. When does the person the narrator met at the start of Part One return?
5. Where is the narrator's husband in Part One?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the narrator told about her plan to make a complaint?
2. What happens when the narrator leaves to go shopping?
3. What did Mr. Vercueil do with more access to money?
4. What does the narrator say to the homeless man about her family?
5. Who does the narrator see parked outside of her house?
6. What does the narrator tell the homeless man stories about on the trip into town?
7. What happened to the narrator three years ago?
8. Who does the narrator want out of the house?
9. What does the narrator say about charity?
10. What did Bheki and another teenage boy do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the impact apartheid had on schools and students in South Africa.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why Coetzee chose to use first person and a narrator to tell the story in the "Age of Iron".
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the names, Hope and Beauty, Florence's daughters and how these names are used as an allegory in "Age of Iron".
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)