|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the narrator find most troubling after her house was burglarized?
2. Why do the youth of the township do?
3. Where is the narrator's husband in Part One?
4. What does the narrator give to the person that lives near her house the first evening?
5. What does the narrator think about after the person she found leaves the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Bheki and another teenage boy do?
2. What does the narrator find near her garage?
3. What is the aged woman diagnosed with at the start of Part One, pg. 3-15?
4. What does the narrator say about the boy and her teaching?
5. What does the narrator ask the homeless man to do upon her death?
6. What does the homeless man do when the narrator brings him coffee?
7. What is the narrator surprised about when she observes Mr. Vercueil?
8. Who returns with her two young daughters and teenage son in Part Two, pgs. 35-56?
9. What does the narrator tell the homeless man stories about on the trip into town?
10. What does the homeless men decline after answering questions about his birthplace?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define epistolary novel and discuss how "Age of Iron" is an example.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Coetzee's development of the plot in the "Age of Iron", from the initial situation to the climax and conclusion.
Essay Topic 3
Examine how rules and order are depicted in the book, and conclude why Mrs. Curren believes that the rules are necessary to maintain peace.
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)