|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Vercueil do after being beaten?
2. What is the name of the narrator's housekeeper?
3. What does the narrator ask the man to do after seeing what he purchased?
4. What happens to the narrator's car in Page 16?
5. Where is Bheki's friend kept?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mr. Vercueil do with more access to money?
2. What does the narrator not understand about the townships?
3. What happens when the narrator leaves to go shopping?
4. Who does the narrator see parked outside of her house?
5. What does the homeless man do when the narrator brings him coffee?
6. What happens after the police van continued driving?
7. What did the police do to Bheki and his friend?
8. What happened to the narrator three years ago?
9. What is the narrator surprised about when she observes Mr. Vercueil?
10. What did the narrator do to ease her pain at the end of Part One, p. 3-15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define a character foil and discuss why they are used in literature. Take two character foils and analyze why Coetzee chose these characters as foils.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Florence's reaction to Mr. Vercueil and compare it with Mrs. Curren's reaction to him.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the correlation between Mrs. Curren's act of writing letters and her self preservation in the "Age of Iron".
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)