|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the narrator's husband in Part One?
2. What does the narrator ask her housekeeper to do in the letter she writes?
3. What type of document introduces the "Age of Iron"?
4. Why isn't Bheki in school?
5. What was the narrator's profession before retiring?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the police do to Bheki and his friend?
2. Who does the narrator reveal she is speaking to according to Part One, pg. 3-15?
3. What did the narrator do to ease her pain at the end of Part One, p. 3-15?
4. Who returns with her two young daughters and teenage son in Part Two, pgs. 35-56?
5. What does the narrator say about charity?
6. What does the narrator warn Florence of regarding hate?
7. What happens when the narrator leaves to go shopping?
8. What does the narrator explain when a neighbor who calls on the phone?
9. What is the aged woman diagnosed with at the start of Part One, pg. 3-15?
10. What does the narrator reassure Florence of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Florence's reaction to Mr. Vercueil and compare it with Mrs. Curren's reaction to him.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze why Coetzee chose to write using fiction in "Age of Iron".
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the names, Hope and Beauty, Florence's daughters and how these names are used as an allegory in "Age of Iron".
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)