|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator refuse to give the man money for nothing?
2. Where is Bheki's friend kept?
3. Why does Florence bring Bheki back to the house?
4. What is the name of the housekeeper's son?
5. What does the narrator give the man following his reaction to her comment regarding giving money for nothing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the homeless men decline after answering questions about his birthplace?
2. What does Bheki inform the narrator of regarding the police and not being in school?
3. What does the narrator ask the homeless man to do upon her death?
4. What is the narrator surprised about when she observes Mr. Vercueil?
5. Who does the narrator want out of the house?
6. What does the narrator do when her car won't start according to Part One, pg. 15-33?
7. What happens after the police van continued driving?
8. What does the narrator find near her garage?
9. Who does the narrator see parked outside of her house?
10. What did Bheki and another teenage boy do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the significance of the statement that the House of Parliament is the "house of shame."
Essay Topic 2
Analyze why Coetzee chose to write using fiction in "Age of Iron".
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Coetzee's development of the plot in the "Age of Iron", from the initial situation to the climax and conclusion.
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)