|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the narrator ask for help with her car problems?
2. What does the narrator want to do before being discouraged from doing so by Florence?
3. What does the narrator give the man following his reaction to her comment regarding giving money for nothing?
4. What does the narrator see the police do?
5. What does Florence learn thanks to a phone call a few hours after the crash?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator find near her garage?
2. What does the narrator explain when a neighbor who calls on the phone?
3. What does the narrator tell the homeless man stories about on the trip into town?
4. What does Bheki inform the narrator of regarding the police and not being in school?
5. What does the narrator say to the homeless man about her family?
6. Who returns with her two young daughters and teenage son in Part Two, pgs. 35-56?
7. What does the homeless men decline after answering questions about his birthplace?
8. What does the narrator warn Florence of regarding hate?
9. Who does the narrator see parked outside of her house?
10. What does the narrator say about the boy and her teaching?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine how rules and order are depicted in the book, and conclude why Mrs. Curren believes that the rules are necessary to maintain peace.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism of cancer in "Age of Iron" and why Coetzee chose to use a terminal disease to show the relationship with apartheid, believed a disease of hatred.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism and meaning of the title, "Age of Iron".
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)