Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prevents the narrator from going shopping in Part One?
2. Why do the youth of the township do?
3. What does the narrator spend the day doing according to page 15?
4. What injury does Bheki's friend have following the crash?
5. Who harasses and beats Mr. Vercueil one day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Thabane advise the narrator to put a jacket over her head?
2. What does the narrator recall about her daughter?
3. What did the narrator do to ease her pain at the end of Part One, p. 3-15?
4. What does Bheki inform the narrator of regarding the police and not being in school?
5. What has Mr. Vercueil become interested in?
6. What advice does the narrator offer to Mr. Thabane?
7. What did Bheki and another teenage boy do?
8. What is the narrator told when she asks who is responsible?
9. Who does the narrator reveal she is speaking to according to Part One, pg. 3-15?
10. Where do Mr. Vercueil and the narrator drive?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Florence's reaction to Mr. Vercueil and compare it with Mrs. Curren's reaction to him.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze why Coetzee chose to write using fiction in "Age of Iron".
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism of cancer in "Age of Iron" and why Coetzee chose to use a terminal disease to show the relationship with apartheid, believed a disease of hatred.
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)