|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Vercueil say the narrator should tell her daughter about her cancer?
2. Why does Florence bring Bheki back to the house?
3. What does the narrator bring the person that lives near her house the morning after his return?
4. What is the name of the housekeeper's son?
5. What is the ethnicity of the narrator?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator explain when a neighbor who calls on the phone?
2. What happens the morning the doorbell rings repeatedly?
3. What happens after the police van continued driving?
4. What is unique about the aged woman's views on the apartheid system?
5. Who returns with her two young daughters and teenage son in Part Two, pgs. 35-56?
6. What advice does the narrator offer to Mr. Thabane?
7. What happens to Mrs. Curren when she is lying down under an overpass?
8. What does Mr. Vercueil say of the bottle in the paper bag?
9. What is the aged woman diagnosed with at the start of Part One, pg. 3-15?
10. What is the narrator surprised about when she observes Mr. Vercueil?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism and meaning of the title, "Age of Iron".
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why Coetzee chose to use first person and a narrator to tell the story in the "Age of Iron".
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Coetzee's development of the plot in the "Age of Iron", from the initial situation to the climax and conclusion.
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)