|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator write about?
2. What does the narrator ask Florence about?
3. What is the call the narrator receives while playing music about?
4. What does Florence do after the crash?
5. How long was the housekeeper absent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who enters the house at the start of Part Two, pg. 56-86?
2. What does the narrator tell the homeless man stories about on the trip into town?
3. What does the narrator not understand about the townships?
4. What is unique about the aged woman's views on the apartheid system?
5. What is the narrator told about her plan to make a complaint?
6. What happens when the narrator leaves to go shopping?
7. What does the homeless men decline after answering questions about his birthplace?
8. Why does the narrator say she cannot give him money for nothing?
9. What does the narrator ask the homeless man to do upon her death?
10. What does Bheki inform the narrator of regarding the police and not being in school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why Coetzee chose to use first person and a narrator to tell the story in the "Age of Iron".
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Coetzee addresses mortality throughout the "Age of Iron".
Essay Topic 3
Examine the impact apartheid had on schools and students in South Africa.
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)