|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does one of Bheki's friends bring to the narrator's home?
2. What does the narrator offer to do for Florence?
3. What does Florence say the police do to black boys who are not in school?
4. Who does the narrator ask for help with her car problems?
5. Why does Vercueil say the narrator should tell her daughter about her cancer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the narrator do to ease her pain at the end of Part One, p. 3-15?
2. What does the homeless men decline after answering questions about his birthplace?
3. What does the narrator explain when a neighbor who calls on the phone?
4. What does the narrator find near her garage?
5. What does the narrator say about the boy and her teaching?
6. What does the narrator say to the homeless man about her family?
7. What happens after the police van continued driving?
8. What is the narrator told about her plan to make a complaint?
9. What does the narrator ask the homeless man to do upon her death?
10. What does the narrator not understand about the townships?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on the "Age of Iron", discuss whether suffering has any value for the characters.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Coetzee's development of the plot in the "Age of Iron", from the initial situation to the climax and conclusion.
Essay Topic 3
Examine how rules and order are depicted in the book, and conclude why Mrs. Curren believes that the rules are necessary to maintain peace.
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)