|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator spend the day doing according to page 15?
2. What did the narrator find most troubling after her house was burglarized?
3. What does the man buy with the money he takes from the narrator?
4. Why does Vercueil say the narrator should tell her daughter about her cancer?
5. When does the person the narrator met at the start of Part One return?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the narrator want out of the house?
2. What is the aged woman diagnosed with at the start of Part One, pg. 3-15?
3. What does the homeless man do when the narrator brings him coffee?
4. What does the narrator reassure Florence of?
5. What did Mr. Vercueil do with more access to money?
6. What did Bheki and another teenage boy do?
7. What does the narrator not understand about the townships?
8. What did the police do to Bheki and his friend?
9. What is the narrator surprised about when she observes Mr. Vercueil?
10. What does the narrator say about charity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the names, Hope and Beauty, Florence's daughters and how these names are used as an allegory in "Age of Iron".
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Florence's reaction to Mr. Vercueil and compare it with Mrs. Curren's reaction to him.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism of cancer in "Age of Iron" and why Coetzee chose to use a terminal disease to show the relationship with apartheid, believed a disease of hatred.
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)