|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the narrator addressing in this book?
2. What is the name of the housekeeper's son?
3. What does Mr. Vercueil seem to be sleeping off?
4. Who calls the narrator as she plays music?
5. What does the narrator feel about the person she is addressing in this book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mr. Vercueil do with more access to money?
2. What did the police do to Bheki and his friend?
3. What does the narrator say about charity?
4. What happens when the narrator leaves to go shopping?
5. What did the narrator do to ease her pain at the end of Part One, p. 3-15?
6. Why does the narrator say she cannot give him money for nothing?
7. What does the narrator tell the homeless man stories about on the trip into town?
8. What does the homeless men decline after answering questions about his birthplace?
9. What does the narrator not understand about the townships?
10. What does the homeless man do when the narrator brings him coffee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the principles which the youth live by in the "Age of Iron" and compare it with Mrs. Curren's principles.
Essay Topic 2
Examine how rules and order are depicted in the book, and conclude why Mrs. Curren believes that the rules are necessary to maintain peace.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the impact apartheid had on schools and students in South Africa.
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)