|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe Mr Vercueil's usual temperament?
2. When does the narrator return to her house after her trip in town?
3. What does the person helping the narrator say she could do with the extra room in her house?
4. Why does Vercueil say the narrator should tell her daughter about her cancer?
5. When does the person the narrator met at the start of Part One return?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator say about charity?
2. What did Mr. Vercueil do with more access to money?
3. What does the homeless men decline after answering questions about his birthplace?
4. What happens after the police van continued driving?
5. Why does the narrator say she cannot give him money for nothing?
6. Who does the narrator want out of the house?
7. What does the narrator ask the homeless man to do upon her death?
8. Who returns with her two young daughters and teenage son in Part Two, pgs. 35-56?
9. What is unique about the aged woman's views on the apartheid system?
10. What does the narrator warn Florence of regarding hate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define a character foil and discuss why they are used in literature. Take two character foils and analyze why Coetzee chose these characters as foils.
Essay Topic 2
Based on the "Age of Iron", discuss whether suffering has any value for the characters.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the impact Bheki's death had on the different characters in the "Age of Iron".
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)