|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tries to intervene when Mr. Vercueil is being beaten?
2. Why does the narrator think the person that lives near her house will return?
3. How much money does the man take from the narrator?
4. How does the narrator describe Mr Vercueil's usual temperament?
5. Who does the narrator want to bring with Florence and her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vercueil explain to the narrator when they reach the boy's hospital room?
2. What did Mr. Vercueil do with more access to money?
3. What does the homeless man do when the narrator brings him coffee?
4. What does Bheki inform the narrator of regarding the police and not being in school?
5. Why does the narrator say she cannot give him money for nothing?
6. What does the narrator find near her garage?
7. What happens after the police van continued driving?
8. What did the narrator do to ease her pain at the end of Part One, p. 3-15?
9. What does the narrator not understand about the townships?
10. What did Bheki and another teenage boy do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the history of apartheid in South Africa, including why it was instituted, who it benefited, and the impact it had on the townships.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why Vercueil acted as a guide or mentor to Mrs. Curren and how he influenced her.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the significance of the statement that the House of Parliament is the "house of shame."
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)