|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Vercueil doing in the back yard that the housekeeper's daughters watch?
2. What does Florence do with Bheki after the crash?
3. What does the narrator ask her male employee to do over tea and biscuits?
4. How does the narrator describe Mr Vercueil's usual temperament?
5. What does Mr. Vercueil do after being beaten?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator explain over tea?
2. What does the narrator say about the boy and her teaching?
3. What does Bheki inform the narrator of regarding the police and not being in school?
4. What does the narrator notice when passing by Florence's room in Part Three, p. 147-176?
5. What does the narrator find near her garage?
6. What happens the morning the doorbell rings repeatedly?
7. What does the narrator wonder about her ability to love?
8. What does Mrs. Curren tell the police when under medication?
9. What directions does Florence give to the narrator when they arrive in the township area at the start of Part Three, pg. 87-115?
10. What does the narrator tell the homeless man stories about on the trip into town?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the history of apartheid in South Africa, including why it was instituted, who it benefited, and the impact it had on the townships.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the setting of Mrs. Curren's home and how Mrs. Curren attempts to protect her space.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why Vercueil acted as a guide or mentor to Mrs. Curren and how he influenced her.
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)