|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator give the man following his reaction to her comment regarding giving money for nothing?
2. Who is the narrator of the book?
3. What does the narrator say to the person she finds?
4. What is the name of the narrator's housekeeper?
5. What does the narrator think about after the person she found leaves the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who returns with her two young daughters and teenage son in Part Two, pgs. 35-56?
2. Who does the narrator reveal she is speaking to according to Part One, pg. 3-15?
3. What does the narrator warn Florence of regarding hate?
4. Who does the narrator want out of the house?
5. What did Mr. Vercueil do with more access to money?
6. What does the narrator say to the homeless man about her family?
7. Why does the narrator say she cannot give him money for nothing?
8. What is the aged woman diagnosed with at the start of Part One, pg. 3-15?
9. What does the narrator tell the homeless man stories about on the trip into town?
10. What does Vercueil explain to the narrator when they reach the boy's hospital room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define epistolary novel and discuss how "Age of Iron" is an example.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why Vercueil acted as a guide or mentor to Mrs. Curren and how he influenced her.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Coetzee addresses mortality throughout the "Age of Iron".
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)