|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator give to the person that lives near her house the first evening?
2. Who does the narrator find at the start of Part One?
3. What disease is the narrator diagnosed with?
4. What prevents the narrator from going shopping in Part One?
5. What do the narrator and her housekeeper do after talking with Mr. Vercueil in the kitchen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the narrator reveal she is speaking to according to Part One, pg. 3-15?
2. Who returns with her two young daughters and teenage son in Part Two, pgs. 35-56?
3. What is the aged woman diagnosed with at the start of Part One, pg. 3-15?
4. What does the narrator warn Florence of regarding hate?
5. What does the narrator explain when a neighbor who calls on the phone?
6. What does the narrator find near her garage?
7. What did Bheki and another teenage boy do?
8. What happened to the narrator three years ago?
9. What does the narrator reassure Florence of?
10. What did the police do to Bheki and his friend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define epistolary novel and discuss how "Age of Iron" is an example.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why Coetzee chose to use first person and a narrator to tell the story in the "Age of Iron".
Essay Topic 3
Examine the correlation between Mrs. Curren's act of writing letters and her self preservation in the "Age of Iron".
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)