|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why isn't Bheki in school?
2. Why does the narrator refuse to give the man money for nothing?
3. What does Mr. Vercueil seem to be sleeping off?
4. What does the narrator say about the media?
5. Why do the youth of the township do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator find near her garage?
2. Who enters the house at the start of Part Two, pg. 56-86?
3. What did Mr. Vercueil do with more access to money?
4. What does Bheki inform the narrator of regarding the police and not being in school?
5. What does Vercueil explain to the narrator when they reach the boy's hospital room?
6. What happened to the narrator three years ago?
7. What is the narrator surprised about when she observes Mr. Vercueil?
8. What does the narrator say about charity?
9. What does the narrator warn Florence of regarding hate?
10. What does the narrator say about the boy and her teaching?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the significance of the statement that the House of Parliament is the "house of shame."
Essay Topic 2
Define a character foil and discuss why they are used in literature. Take two character foils and analyze why Coetzee chose these characters as foils.
Essay Topic 3
Based on the "Age of Iron", discuss whether suffering has any value for the characters.
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)