|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the housekeeper call Mr. Vercueil?
2. Where is the man that the narrator brings on her trip to town from?
3. In what time period is the "Age of Iron" set?
4. What does the person helping the narrator say she could do with the extra room in her house?
5. What does the narrator tell the person that calls her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the narrator want out of the house?
2. What does the narrator do when her car won't start according to Part One, pg. 15-33?
3. Who does the narrator reveal she is speaking to according to Part One, pg. 3-15?
4. What is the narrator surprised about when she observes Mr. Vercueil?
5. What does the narrator explain when a neighbor who calls on the phone?
6. What did Bheki and another teenage boy do?
7. What does Vercueil explain to the narrator when they reach the boy's hospital room?
8. What does the narrator reassure Florence of?
9. What did the narrator do to ease her pain at the end of Part One, p. 3-15?
10. What is the aged woman diagnosed with at the start of Part One, pg. 3-15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why Coetzee chose to use first person and a narrator to tell the story in the "Age of Iron".
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Coetzee's development of the plot in the "Age of Iron", from the initial situation to the climax and conclusion.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Florence's reaction to Mr. Vercueil and compare it with Mrs. Curren's reaction to him.
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)