|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the narrator's house burglarized?
2. What does Mr. Vercueil do after being beaten?
3. What is the ethnicity of the narrator?
4. What type of document introduces the "Age of Iron"?
5. What does the narrator bring the person that lives near her house the morning after his return?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator recall about her daughter?
2. Why does the narrator say she cannot give him money for nothing?
3. What does the narrator find near her garage?
4. How is Mr. Vercueil different at the start of Part Three, pg. 115-147?
5. What seems to ease Mrs. Curren's pain?
6. What does the narrator say about charity?
7. What advice does the narrator offer to Mr. Thabane?
8. What did the police do to Bheki and his friend?
9. What does the narrator warn Florence of regarding hate?
10. Who enters the house at the start of Part Two, pg. 56-86?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why Vercueil acted as a guide or mentor to Mrs. Curren and how he influenced her.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why Coetzee chose to use first person and a narrator to tell the story in the "Age of Iron".
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Coetzee addresses mortality throughout the "Age of Iron".
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)