|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the person the narrator met at the start of Part One return?
2. Who harasses and beats Mr. Vercueil one day?
3. Who are the only two people the narrator say she would speak to on the phone?
4. What does the narrator think about after the person she found leaves the house?
5. What does the narrator write about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the homeless men decline after answering questions about his birthplace?
2. What does the narrator do when her car won't start according to Part One, pg. 15-33?
3. What did Mr. Vercueil do with more access to money?
4. Who returns with her two young daughters and teenage son in Part Two, pgs. 35-56?
5. What does the narrator explain when a neighbor who calls on the phone?
6. What did the narrator do to ease her pain at the end of Part One, p. 3-15?
7. What is the narrator surprised about when she observes Mr. Vercueil?
8. What does the narrator find near her garage?
9. What does the narrator say about the boy and her teaching?
10. What is unique about the aged woman's views on the apartheid system?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the principles which the youth live by in the "Age of Iron" and compare it with Mrs. Curren's principles.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the correlation between Mrs. Curren's act of writing letters and her self preservation in the "Age of Iron".
Essay Topic 3
Based on the "Age of Iron", discuss whether suffering has any value for the characters.
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)